[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 8/7/2018 at 12:52 AM, sadiesmith said:

More translated interview coming up!!  Here's a teaser and check back often

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/iu-dong-hoons-first-smile-made-me-want-to-cry/

These interviews have infused life back into me!  Just when I thought I've managed to wean myself from my MA addiction, something like this comes along. Oh well. There's no point in fighting it. As the Borgs used to say in Star Trek: The Next Generation: Resistance is futile. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riazni said:

wow, the DC Inside comment on the timeline in this drama is really really interesting, now it has intrigued me to make attempt on mapping the time line :w00t:

so eventhough I have wanted to follow japanese broadcast as my rewatching schedule (which this coming friday would only be up to ep 7) now I couldn’t resist to try coming up with the whole timeline of My Ajusshi.

I’m recollecting ep 1-16 clue that I can remember, and through rewatching some parts, and also using this new mindblowing information mentioned by @sadiesmith from @justamom digging the other rabbithole :lol:, plus my general knowledge of seasons in Korea (which could be incorrect): Spring (March-May), Summer (June-Aug), Autumn (Sept-Nov), Winter (Dec-Feb).

Now here it is (with a risk of embarassing my self if it doesn’t make any sense :sweatingbullets: :D

My understanding is that In general the drama covered 2 years and 4months: starting Jan 2018, all the way to the first quarter of 2020.

Jan 2018: ep 1-6.

(winter is still apparent, with snow and all)

(ep 2-3 DH commented how JA is 'underdressed for winter' or how cold it must be to wear a very short socks).

Feb 2018: ep 7.

(scene of JA got her Feb paycheck).

Feb 2018: ep 8.

(still winter, but soon over, means still Feb)

(JA and DH walking home together after their first smile together over beer drinking. JA told DH how she hates winter, but DH said that it's spring soon).

Late Feb 2018 (winter soon over): ep.9-13.

(note: DH still wore winter jacket when taking grandma to elderly assissted facilities).

(ep.12: JA running with the Team Three from work for the last subway, she could survive with t-shirt and jacket,,so was DH who only wore trench coat outside, no more thick wool coat, and no more winter scarf).

(ep.13: the weather is no longer that cold. walking together, JA halfly teased DH on he's walking slowly now when they walk together,,and DH said that it's because the weather is no longer cold).

March 2018: ep.14.

(JA left hogye, standing on the street with cherry blossom above, so it was early spring=early March).

March 2018: ep 15.

(JA lodging in JH's place, hand casted, calendar shown March).

end of March-April 2018: ep.16.

(Haimoni eating choco pie with JA, falling cherry blossom (sparsely), it’s full-fledged spring, end of March or v.early April).

(haimoni died: 10th of April;note in her urn vase).

end of April 2018 or up to June 2018: ep 16.

(scene in JH room, JA said to JH that she needs to go, not staying in hogye, because DH couldn’t come to the bar if JA still there. the calendar shown month 4-5-6)

(could be end of april, May/June when JA left for Busan, farewell hug).

Sept-Nov 2018: ep.16.

(after the farewell hug, raining in omma's house, it’s likely in autumn).

(means several months has passed since JA left for Busan, hence KH asked DH how is JA doing, which DH said he didn't hear anything from her).

[my heart..breaks for him and her, *sob*]

Dec 2018-May 2019: not shown in the drama.

Jun 2019-Feb 2020 (9 months): ep.16.

(from summer 2019, to autumn/raining 2019, to late winter/snowing 2020, showing through KH's room, the weather during his heartbreak and break up phone call moment with YR).

March-April 2020: ep 16.

(DH thriving as a CEO in his own company, JA transfered to HQ, presenting report of Q1 to her supervisor).

April 2020: ep.16.

(reunion of JA DH, JA said that she was transfered to Seoul since last March, so that scene is taking place after March).

(but it should be fitting of second spring in DH’s life, hence it’s still spring: April or May 2020).

phew! that’s long..

so, what do you think guys?

now my heart breaks again imagining how hard it was for the two lonely souls being apart from each other for that long :(

sooo glad that they finally meet again, my heart mended :) 

@riazni, this is very well done.  Thank you.  I have not rewatched the last episode, but what you laid out makes sense.  I will definitely pay careful attention to the weather clues after the hug.  So the separation is likely 2 years.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, h2ogirl said:

@ladyrini Those clips (where LSK is styled well) were two or three 7-second-long videos of LSK & IU promoting the drama in Japan. That's all.

@africandramalover Can you or someone else analyze what the panning family photos mean in the drama? I need to go back to RL soon, so I don't think I can commit myself to a couple more rewatches lol.

@h2ogirlOk, thanks so much :)

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

They are so cute together, and there are several of these short clips of them promoting the Japanese release.  I don't think these have anything to do with the interviews though.  All the interviews seem to come with pictures of them wearing different outfits and probably not even taped.  

@sadiesmithOh, ok, thanks so much for the explanation. This is my first time watching KDrama with strong chemistry between lead stars with huge age gap. I don't know if because they worked for the first time or they really have it. Also, I watched some of LSK dramas/movies and realize his chemistry with IU is kinda different (more like the feeling of love is real between them). Hahaha..maybe it's only my imagination ;) 

Edited by Guest
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)

MltuufC.jpg

y6idzpw.jpg

Aww this is precious! How the time jump should've been? LOL 

These photos were taken from a korean fanfic from DC inside gallery

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=59175&page=1

How are you guys? I still miss this drama so much even after almost 3 months have passed. I hope you guys are all doing well. Sending much love to you all!

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

7 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Aww this is precious! How the time jump should've been? LOL 

These photos were taken from a korean fanfic from DC inside gallery

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=59175&page=1

How are you guys? I still miss this drama so much even after almost 3 months have passed. I hope you guys are all doing well. Sending much love to you all!

Hahaha... so even some people on DC Inside are openly shipping this non-couple?  

• Like 6

Help needed! Here's a writing challenge to you all.  In an effort to promote My Ajusshi fan site we have agreed to write a guest post for Kdramaland.  The idea is to write about our five favorite locations and put them all together into one post like this: https://koreandramaland.com/my-5-favourite-locations-in-jugglers/

Does anyone want to put her writing juices for My Ajusshi cause?  We will likely cover the Mapo bridge and the railway tracks ourselves, but anything else is open.  Use @h2ogirl's post as your jumping point: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/06/my-mister-filming-locations/

We'll pick one or two, but don't delay as we'd like to get this done within the week.  Thank you all!  Your help is much appreciated.

• Like 4

With their accidental meeting on episode 16, I can't help but ask myself if the two lovers will eventually become a couple after all. I'm trying to picture a 22 year old matured woman and a 40+ guy having a breathtaking romantic life. Enjoying themselves, eating out, having a bottle or two of soju, staring without blinking at each others eyes, hugging and kissing with no end. I wish there would have been an Episode 17 all by themselves as a couple. 

• Like 10

On 8/8/2018 at 10:04 AM, riazni said:

wow, the DC Inside comment on the timeline in this drama is really really interesting, now it has intrigued me to make attempt on mapping the time line :w00t:

so eventhough I have wanted to follow japanese broadcast as my rewatching schedule (which this coming friday would only be up to ep 7) now I couldn’t resist to try coming up with the whole timeline of My Ajusshi.

I’m recollecting ep 1-16 clue that I can remember, and through rewatching some parts, and also using this new mindblowing information mentioned by @sadiesmith from @justamom digging the other rabbithole :lol:, plus my general knowledge of seasons in Korea (which could be incorrect): Spring (March-May), Summer (June-Aug), Autumn (Sept-Nov), Winter (Dec-Feb).

Now here it is (with a risk of embarassing my self if it doesn’t make any sense :sweatingbullets: :D

My understanding is that In general the drama covered 2 years and 4months: starting Jan 2018, all the way to the first quarter of 2020.

Jan 2018: ep 1-6.

(winter is still apparent, with snow and all)

(ep 2-3 DH commented how JA is 'underdressed for winter' or how cold it must be to wear a very short socks).

Feb 2018: ep 7.

(scene of JA got her Feb paycheck).

Feb 2018: ep 8.

(still winter, but soon over, means still Feb)

(JA and DH walking home together after their first smile together over beer drinking. JA told DH how she hates winter, but DH said that it's spring soon).

Late Feb 2018 (winter soon over): ep.9-13.

(note: DH still wore winter jacket when taking grandma to elderly assissted facilities).

(ep.12: JA running with the Team Three from work for the last subway, she could survive with t-shirt and jacket,,so was DH who only wore trench coat outside, no more thick wool coat, and no more winter scarf).

(ep.13: the weather is no longer that cold. walking together, JA halfly teased DH on he's walking slowly now when they walk together,,and DH said that it's because the weather is no longer cold).

March 2018: ep.14.

(JA left hogye, standing on the street with cherry blossom above, so it was early spring=early March).

March 2018: ep 15.

(JA lodging in JH's place, hand casted, calendar shown March).

end of March-April 2018: ep.16.

(Haimoni eating choco pie with JA, falling cherry blossom (sparsely), it’s full-fledged spring, end of March or v.early April).

(haimoni died: 10th of April;note in her urn vase).

end of April 2018 or up to June 2018: ep 16.

(scene in JH room, JA said to JH that she needs to go, not staying in hogye, because DH couldn’t come to the bar if JA still there. the calendar shown month 4-5-6)

(could be end of april, May/June when JA left for Busan, farewell hug).

Thank you for breaking down the timeline episode-by-episode.

Maybe I refuse to admit that our OTP couldn't see each other for over a year, but I still think it was Spring 2019 when they reunited. I agree with what you wrote as quoted above.

lqFIbbz.png

But the calendar in ep 16 actually shows 3-4-5, with April highlighted. Lots of calendars present the date like this - the present month in between, or in larger print, along with the previous and next months. I'm pretty sure it's April here and during the goodbye hug.

The rest of the timeline, according to my understanding:

June or July 2018

"(after the farewell hug, raining in omma's house, it’s likely in autumn).

(means several months has passed since JA left for Busan, hence KH asked DH how is JA doing, which DH said he didn't hear anything from her).

[my heart..breaks for him and her, *sob*]"

According to Wikipedia, Korea receives its monsoon rains between June-September, but it's most likely to rain between June-July, while it's still summertime. So I think it's still summer when it rains in Omma's House.

It doesn't make sense to me that PD Kim would let 6 months of MA time happen off-screen, especially when he bothered to clearly show us the change in seasons (exactly four seasons = 1 year of MA time).

---

July / August 2018 to February 2019

"(from summer 2018, to autumn/raining 2018, to late winter/snowing 2019, showing through KH's room, the weather during his heartbreak and break up phone call moment with YR)."

April / May 2019 (definitely spring)

"(DH thriving as a CEO in his own company, JA transfered to HQ, presenting report of Q1 to her supervisor).

(reunion of JA DH, JA said that she was transfered to Seoul since last March, so that scene is taking place after March)."

---

Also, IU TV really convinced me that it was indeed a one-year time skip. JA was 21 for the majority of the show, and is shown to be 22 at the cafe scene. 22 - 21 = 1 :lol:

---

@mushroomsoupie Still very much obsessed with MA. I've decided that it is the best drama I've ever seen. I would rate it 12/10 if I could. It's perfect, and so is that photoshopped DC Inside photo. :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Lee Seon Kyun has been nominated for the 2018 Korean Popular Culture and Arts Award in the Prime Minister Award category.  Other actors nominated in the same category are Lee Bo Young, Son Ye Jin, and Kim Joo Hyuk.  There are plenty of other entertainers, too, not just these actors.  I think winners will be announced at the end of October.  Fingers crossed that this nomination is a sign that more will follow.  

https://www.dmitory.com/garden/35306483

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 8/2/2018 at 11:20 PM, riazni said:

I was in ep 5-6 rewatch, that scene in ep 5 when JA woken DH up in the subway by kicking his foot, I remember back in this thread someone commented that that could be the first ‘kindness’ JA did to DH without any other ill intention, and I think so too, she was slowly starting to care about this ajusshi, earnestly. 

after that foot-kicking she then walked out of the station, with DH trailing behind, I really like that scene, the camera capturing her face, I think that JA looked soo pretty there, symbolically it might be doing-good-thing effect? she’s getting prettier and prettier, couldn’t imagine how hard is that for our ajusshi :P 

lastly, I’m still hoping our beloved cast and crew of My Ajusshi will at least be nominated for the Baeksang, and if not then you’ll see me shedding tears in this thread sometime in December :tears::sweatingbullets:

Thanks for pointing this out @riazni, so true that the foot kicking was the first act of pure kindness! I love so much that PDH said with some sarcasm something like "you wake me up like a slave" in the lift, causing everyone to turn around and JA feeling very awkward. We've got plenty of innuendoes in the first few episodes. Perhaps these early episodes were shot before they had to tone it down? She does get prettier and prettier :)

I'm really grateful and am enriched by all the timeline studies. It bothered me that she took the cast out within a day (or so I thought)... so it took about a month to heal, which is more realistic. And the time given to DH to grapple with his wife's infidelity is slow in dramaland but it is realistic too.

The more I watch, the more I feel this drama is about delaying gratification. KWS said he wanted to use he drama to give a good impression of Korean ahjussis. What type of Ahjussi is he trying to market to his audience? Someone who is upright and mature, able to love in the true sense of the word, both self and others. I would just like to add that for each of his temptations, he got interviewed by the company - for the bribe, the burner phone list, and finally, for LJA. He got stronger with each interview, perhaps to project the character growth that had happened to pass each "test". And the ending of the drama shows the reward for good ahjussis: PDH got his money (his company did well), status/power (he was director, then CEO), and naturally, his ... (...). But not before dying to each of them, and to find them magically "reincarnated" in a roundabout way.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow, can’t believe this thread’s still going strong! You guys rock!

Even though I started watching other shows I still think about MA from time to time. It’s still one of the best dramas I’ve ever watched. Reading your posts makes me want to rewatch MA again. But I was so emotionally invested in MA when it was aired that I’m afraid I’d fall into a rabbit hole again. 

@sadiesmith Hi chingu!  Can you update me about those Japanese interviews? Did LSK and IU day something to let our ship sail strongly?  :D

• Like 10

21 hours ago, kingkong72 said:

With their accidental meeting on episode 16, I can't help but ask myself if the two lovers will eventually become a couple after all. I'm trying to picture a 22 year old matured woman and a 40+ guy having a breathtaking romantic life. Enjoying themselves, eating out, having a bottle or two of soju, staring without blinking at each others eyes, hugging and kissing with no end. I wish there would have been an Episode 17 all by themselves as a couple. 

Feel free to visit

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works

:D

• Like 3

23 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Thank you for breaking down the timeline episode-by-episode.

Maybe I refuse to admit that our OTP couldn't see each other for over a year, but I still think it was Spring 2019 when they reunited. I agree with what you wrote as quoted above.

But the calendar in ep 16 actually shows 3-4-5, with April highlighted. Lots of calendars present the date like this - the present month in between, or in larger print, along with the previous and next months. I'm pretty sure it's April here and during the goodbye hug.

The rest of the timeline, according to my understanding:

June or July 2018

"(after the farewell hug, raining in omma's house, it’s likely in autumn).

[my heart..breaks for him and her, *sob*]"

According to Wikipedia, Korea receives its monsoon rains between June-September, but it's most likely to rain between June-July, while it's still summertime. So I think it's still summer when it rains in Omma's House.

It doesn't make sense to me that PD Kim would let 6 months of MA time happen off-screen, especially when he bothered to clearly show us the change in seasons (exactly four seasons = 1 year of MA time).

---

July / August 2018 to February 2019

"(from summer 2018, to autumn/raining 2018, to late winter/snowing 2019, showing through KH's room, the weather during his heartbreak and break up phone call moment with YR)."

April / May 2019 (definitely spring)

"(DH thriving as a CEO in his own company, JA transfered to HQ, presenting report of Q1 to her supervisor).

(reunion of JA DH, JA said that she was transfered to Seoul since last March, so that scene is taking place after March)."

---

aaahh you’re right, that calendar, so it’s not that usual 3month-based page calendar, instead it’s the one with a highlighted month in the middle, sorryy didn’t know it was :sweatingbullets: :D

and about the bold sentence in blue, thanks for the info, I didn’t know the monsoon more likely happens in the summertime.

also on the other point you made, one about PD KWS you pointed out here, yes I was also in doubt that PDnim would skip several months unnoticed (not shown in the drama), I was hesitant to come with that conclusion, but previously I took that as a possibility of him asking us the viewers thinking of the month/season skip by our self,,you know, since the viewers are super smart and all :rolleyes::P:D

if this even making any sense, I felt like I really think of Dong Hoon and Ji An as real people in real life, people I really care about their happiness and wellbeing, so reading your analysis i was even happier since that means DH and JA was not apart for more than a year, I am soo happy for them, *Ireallyamaweirdo hahaa..

@oldschooler wow that analysis on how the sequence of interviews by company might be one way of showing DH character’s growth is really interesting, and I agree with you that it is, since I remember back then in this thread some posters have been questioning how DH has been shown with little character development/growth, compare to JA, and I think now after reading your post, Dong Hoon as a subtle person, has also had a subtle character growth, and the drama chose to not showing it in obvious way, but viewers could still caught it through the interviews too..

guys, I just love the fan site, really really a good job of you who worked hard to make it, thankss! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1

On 8/9/2018 at 10:53 PM, sadiesmith said:

Help needed! Here's a writing challenge to you all.  In an effort to promote My Ajusshi fan site we have agreed to write a guest post for Kdramaland.  The idea is to write about our five favorite locations and put them all together into one post like this: https://koreandramaland.com/my-5-favourite-locations-in-jugglers/

Does anyone want to put her writing juices for My Ajusshi cause?  We will likely cover the Mapo bridge and the railway tracks ourselves, but anything else is open.  Use @h2ogirl's post as your jumping point: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/06/my-mister-filming-locations/

We'll pick one or two, but don't delay as we'd like to get this done within the week.  Thank you all!  Your help is much appreciated.

Hi here is a post on the river scene, I have adapted from a previous post. My apology, the name of the bridge is Hangang, and not Mapo as I mentioned in an earlier post. It appears both of them have comforting words written on the railing to prevent suicide.

Hangang Bridge

This scenic bridge has been featured in a few Korean dramas (link to: https://koreandramaland.com/listings/hangang-bridge/). Because Park Donghoon’s (Lee Sun Kyun) character is portrayed with subdued subtlety, and does not betray his true thoughts and feelings to others easily, clues to his inner life are conveyed indirectly through external associations. The Hangang Bridge is the exact location which the production team chooses to portray the state of Donghoon’s mind the day after discovering his wife’s infidelity.

Park Donghoon has been wandering through the streets of Seoul for half a day, after leaving the morning football team in a huff. It is late afternoon, and the sun is setting when he plants himself in the middle of Hangang Bridge. There are comforting words written on the bridge railing to his left, but the panel where he is standing is blank. There is no fanfare, no extreme show of emotion, and any sound he makes is drowned by passing traffic. His sight pans to the river below.

hangang1_zpsawgvg5hh.png

hangang2_zpsdyr60ko0.png

But when the scene shifts to Lee Jian, we sense the urgency of the matter. All is not well. This is the Hangang Bridge. Underneath the external calm, Park Donghoon’s breathing is ragged and laboured. There is no doubt as to his thoughts during that exact moment.

hangang3_zpsvm0oqdc2.png

Hangang Bridge

Spoiler

hangang4_zpsbqr06dun.png

Her bus stops abruptly by a random roadside and she runs to him, and does not stop running until she gets him in her line-of-sight, seeing him being found by his brothers. To drive the point home, Donghoon’s brothers ask him repeatedly, “Where have you been?” He does not answer: they must not know.

Spoiler

hangang5_zpsujm5jrom.pnghangang6_zpsvomaooii.pnghangang7_zpsi0w2i6k6.png

Portraying suicide in films and dramas is controversial, especially when using a certain location associated with this topic. However there is a need to lift the taboo surrounding suicide, an understated problem among middle-aged and elderly men. I believe the production team does not use the location just for dramatic effect, but also as a potent anti-suicide message: when driven to the brink, we can choose to bravely walk away from the temptation to end our lives, even if the only barrier between us and the false comfort that we seek is a bridge railing. Following the rest of Park Donghoon’s life, we find that he has continued to live a full life, and that it is worthwhile to persevere through the indignity we suffer. However, at this moment, the Hangang Bridge scene conveys the full extent of Donghoon’s heartbreak – muted, barely noticeable, but very lethal.

Spoiler

hangang8_zpsr1byov0c.png

I was also wrong in an earlier post on drawers, stating that Ki Hoon was the one who mentioned DongHoon was always slipping things through the cracks of his drawer. Actually, it was Sang Hoon, the one who is always wrong about Dong Hoon :)

Spoiler

Drawer1_zpsxonaw5qu.png

Drawer2_zpsisgynagi.png

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3