[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

52 minutes ago, t123han said:

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/05/19/tvn-drama-my-ahjusshi-ends-with-high-ratings-and-acclaim-from-critics-and-audiences-alike/

Then I realised at the risk of sounding shallow the major reason is PDH. I loved his walk, his words, every sound he made, every breathe he took :) 

then of course there was the sizzling chemistry between lead. Even though in some places the drama felt slow but it added so much of depth. There was never a dull moment even when the leads were on long walk uttering nothing. I do have a tiny complaint , I dint enjoy the brothers scenes in the beginning. I found myself skipping them.

Even though it talked about life, sorrows and all those life talks in general or never felt preachy. 

I will never be able to let go this drama. EVER!!!!!! 

You sound exactly like Ji An. :D  But isn't that partly the reason we're still here?  You're definitely not alone.

Koala's blog has followers who really love MA and very vocal in their support for the show.  I wish she would write her own review but alas, it looks like she's more drawn to rom coms like Secretary Kim and dramas featuring her favorite actors.

• Like 5

You are all truly awesome! I have been reading back some pages and articles on the fansite, and they have sustained my interest in the drama apart from the real world I’m inhabiting now. I’m very thankful for the posts and observations and analyses, etc.

I wonder if someone has commented on what DH keeps in his drawers? Unseen, private and potentially shameful stuff that others must not know about. The unconscious parts of his desires in which he sometimes loses (aka forgets, represses) stuff when they slip through the cracks and fall behind/below the drawer compartments, as Ki Hoon complains: “He is always losing something behind his drawers”.

1. The bribe – It was his first temptation. DH succumbed momentarily to a temptation he had never encountered before, perhaps out of desperation to resolve his financial situation. He covered the bribe with a file and put it into his drawer. Through the bribe, he received the full backlash of breaking a clear moral principle. Everyone knew about it! From his colleagues to his family. It was only through a miracle that he escaped the consequences and emerged as a phony righteous man. He knew he was not the virtuous man he appeared to be. He learned a big lesson about shame and not doing the right thing from this temptation.

The bribe was also his first link to Ji An. JA, suffering from similar/worse financial problems, also wanted the bribe money. Using covert means, she stole it from DH, only to relinquish it when she was unable to use it. The material nature of the bribe reflected the first level of desperation which both DH and JA were both facing. Money is important for survival.

2. Joon Young’ burner phone number list – This was the temptation of power, of using crooked means to have the upper hand on DH’s enemy. As usual, DH placed the phone list in the drawer. I think it slipped through the crack again (as Ki Hoon observed) and therefore was not traceable by the fraud/investigation team. DH was not comfortable about using the list as a weapon against his enemy, not attempting to open it when he first contemplated it during his bus ride home. This was not his style. But desperate times required desperate measures; when he was once again egged by JY to the point of suicide, he decisively retrieved the envelope from his drawer. Again, the “power” that he obtained from the phone list was unusable on one level – revealing his wife’s affair was a double edged sword that would hurt JY but literally kill him (hence the Mapo river bridge scene).

But on another level, the phone number list provided JA with the opportunity to help DH intentionally for the first time, by giving him a clue about the origin of public phone numbers. The underdog helping another underdog. It also broke the “see no evil, hear no evil” policy which DH had kept in the past in order to insulate himself from deep, hurtful realities.

3. Ji An’s slippers – Did DH wise up after being burned by the two previous temptations? After all he had tasted the consequences of near-public humiliation and of digging too deep into reality for his own peace of mind. The slippers had all the consequences of the first two temptations. So what did he do with the slippers? Put them in his private, unmentionable drawer. It occupied such a big space this time that removing it created a big hollow in the compartment. However, it was a temptation he could not return to Jian to “make things clear”. Whenever he removed his work shoes, he instinctively opened the drawer, tempted to wear those slippers. @africandramalover and others mentioned, this was DH reaching for his comfort. However, he was not able to show it to the public. When Chief Song asked, “You bought a new pair of slippers?” DH acted as though his deepest, darkest secret was revealed, and he covered the slippers and hid them again.

I like that the writer/director used the analogies for the three temptations of money, power and sex/love in PDH’s life. They were all morally/ethically wrong. Especially loving Ji An at this point of his life. No matter how much we sympathise with the third temptation, there are no moral exceptions to the temptations that beset PDH. I like that in the drama Pasta, LSK’s chef character was warned by his sous chef that mixing love and work in the kitchen is unethical, as a chef’s position gives prestige and power, and this power could be abused against those who have less power. Thus, if DH had used his superior position, maturity, knowledge, etc. to woo JA or to accept JA’s love to fulfil his emotional needs, he would be breaking these universal ethical laws. (I’m not saying JA is not powerful, wise, intelligent in her own right, but we must acknowledge that it was still an economically, socially, emotionally imbalanced relationship that put JA in a vulnerable position with a married man). Therefore, it was only when the coast was clear, when JiAn had left the company, when he was at a safer position at his workplace and the threat of scandal was gone, that DH was able to bring the slippers out of the drawer and wear them publicly and comfortably.

@justamom thank you for pointing out the similarities between ITMFL and MA. Really? Down to the last handshake? I'm just "wow"

*edit @sadiesmith thank you for the analysis of cars. They are so prominent in MA, especially the pink sensitive van who is beta male :lol:. By the way the white chevvy which Yoon Hee drives was always dirty and needed cleaning according to DH, before and after DH found out about the affair.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

I wonder if someone has commented on what DH keeps in his drawers? Unseen, private and potentially shameful stuff that others must not know about. The unconscious parts of his desires in which he sometimes loses (aka forgets, represses) stuff when they slip through the cracks and fall behind/below the drawer compartments, as Ki Hoon complains: “He is always losing something behind his drawers”.

Is there a mindblown emoji?  Wow, @oldschooler, you seldom post, but when you do, everything you say is pure gold.  I'm feeling a little deflated with things lately, but this kind of post makes me sit straight up again, or should I say straighten me right up?  Do you remember which episode Ki Hoon says the above?  Early episode?  Actress Oh Yun Soo is absolutely right, it pays to "listen to its dialogue one by one."

By the way the white chevvy which Yoon Hee drives was always dirty and needed cleaning according to DH, before and after DH found out about the affair.

And you just added this one!  Mind blown again!

Put them in his private, unmentionable drawer. It occupied such a big space this time that removing it created a big hollow in the compartment.  However, it was a temptation he could not return to Jian to “make things clear”. 

This must have been a very long day because I read these sentences above and my mind wandered. :D  Good night!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

HL15j3Z.jpg

Cr simplyuaena

I did an edit of Jian cuz I miss her...

https://twitter.com/simplyuaena/status/1023046983785672704

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

my mind wandered.:D

:Dmy mind wandered...Ji-an saying miss you in English to PDH:heart:

Watch the vid below or at https://twitter.com/smolyoongiIU/status/1022189247862718465

• Like 12

Hot. That scene was so hot. It still funny how much DH was affected by jian closeness. If he had no feelings for her, if she was just a colleague I don’t think he would have shown this much of emotions in that one scene. 

It was like he would burn up in flames if he came anywhere near her vicinity so he was trying with all his might to not to touch her.

just look at that face and see how much of self control is being shown there. 

I need a cold shower  now. That one scene is worth more than any kiss/bed scenes . 

• Like 8

Hi @sadiesmith my mind is also blown away by the complexity of this drama, the more I rewatch it, and terms like "straighten me up" I will not be able to forget until the end of my life!:D. When DH received a call from KH after the bribe was found in Ep 2, I believe that was where KH guessed (wrongly) that DH had found it behind/under his drawer. I hope I'm correct on this detail.

*Edit: Sorry I just checked and it was Sang Hoon who (as always) guessed wrongly in Episode 2 (around 53:30) that the money had fallen through the cracks of his drawers, and he was always doing that since the past

Edited by oldschooler
  • Like 6

This is an image from https://twitter.com/mnet_etchan/status/1023500058791038976

If you prefer to save the :wub: image to your phone or pc:  https://i.imgur.com/MJfUgX0.jpg

MJfUgX0.jpg

Also just sharing this Fan account dedicated to Korean actor Lee Sun Gyun ♥

_dongansHey guys! Thanks for all the support that you have given to this account, i originally created this account for my love for the drama my mister and especially on it's two leads, iu and lee sun kyun but i decided just to post mainly about lsk coz there's so many iu accounts already amd this man literally deserves love and recogntion/attention. But that doesn't mean i don't like iu cause girl i LOVE her with all of my heart. (uaena ftw........

https://www.instagram.com/_dongans/

EDIT: IU will appear in a variety show next month:

• Like 10

For someone who is seriously suffering from withdrawal symptoms and want to move on , here are few tips. I cannot gaurantee they will work because I have been trying to get them to work for me and have been half successful, but hey never say never !!!

tip 1 :  stop checking this soompi forum every one hour. People who update frequently live in other part of globe where it might be their night. So check in your night time ( if you are like me who lives  in Asia !!! ) 

tip 2 stop checking below site every one hour. Any update over there  will promptly be mentioned in this site with same zeal !!

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works 

tip 3 : stop checking below site every one hour. That site needs some serious analysis so the post won’t go up that frequently. In my experience checking once a day will suffice !! 

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/

tip 4 : stop looking at Instagram accounts dedicated to PDH. The updates are very slow and even if something gets updated I am sure it’s an old pic of LSK since the man the so busy doing his action stints he has not Fu****  bothered to have any recent shoots.

http://instagram.com/sunkyun_viruszone

http://instagram.com/leesungyunlatino

http://instagram.com/_dongans

http://instagram.com/youmake_kyun33

http://instagram.com/leesun.kyun

tip 5 : Stop trying to google LSK on net. Nothing gets updated there and the man is in incognito mode since ever. How many times are you going to read about the movies/ dramas he has starred in and hope to find something to watch that you have not seen before. 

Tip 6 : Stop trying to search YouTube for his interviews. There are none. The handfuls ones that are present are not subbed and I am sure you would have gone through that once. No need to torture yourself to watch them again when you don’t understand a single word . 

Tip 7 : stop trying to check tumblr . People there might have already moved on since the accounts dedicated to him now has other drama updates. 

Tip 8 : stop trying to translate Chinese and korean fanfic/ articles about MA so that you can read thousand lines and understand only 10 out of them.  Just stick to English site like here for your own sanity !!

Tip 9 : stop trying to read comments about MA across all other sites. Once was enough and there are such varied opinions floating around  that it’s better to come to this site and be with like minded shippers. 

Tip 10: stop checking/asking if there is anything similar to MA out there. Because there is none..nada..

its difficult to find something with same combination of our McSexy voice ajhussi , haunting music , jian ....as MA. 

Oh and if you do find something please mention it over here so that I can eat my words. 

Tip 11 if none of the above works for you think of all the things you could have done rather then fangirling over MA and LSK. Few noteworthy mentions - 

- pick up a new hobby

- cook new dishes

- spend time with your spouse or kids without diving for ur phone every now and then

- clean your cupboard

- LIVE YOUR LIFE

So I have not fangirled over anyone for ages but I know that when u are crazy about an actor you usually dream about running into them or imagine urself with them. With with LSK , my shipomter is so strong that I only imagine about LSK and jian together even in dreams. I want them to be with each other - passion and kisses and the whole package. Please  tell me I am not the only weirdo out here !!!! 

And if none of the above tips works for you then relive MA for now and follow the same steps after few days, and that’s how I ended up on this site again !!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi again.

@t123han lol-ing hard while reading your post. And you're not the only weirdo.

I think I already give up for (especially both the leads) to get the awards. The controversy and all...its too hard for them...

2 hours ago, t123han said:

tip 5 : Stop trying to google LSK on net. Nothing gets updated there and the man is in incognito mode since ever. How many times are you going to read about the movies/ dramas he has starred in and hope to find something to watch that you have not seen before. 

LOL. I always do this once every week. I don't even know why. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

On 7/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, t123han said:

tip 1 :  stop checking this soompi forum every one hour. People who update frequently live in other part of globe where it might be their night. So check in your night time ( if you are like me who lives  in Asia !!! ) 

May I add...

If you want to move on, stay away from this soompi forum

Only about 12 pages, but there's some translations of LSK's interview (thanks @sadiesmith) that make you crave for more :sweatingbullets:

Bonus (don't watch it!)

Spoiler

Ahjussi wearing skinny jeans!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, widala said:

May I add...

If you want to move on, stay away from this soompi forum

Only about 12 pages, but there's some translations of LSK's interview (thanks @sadiesmith) that make you crave for more :sweatingbullets:

Bonus (don't watch it!)

Hahahaha... thank you @widala.  True story: last night as I tried to add a post to LSK's soompi thread, I saw that the thread was locked and archived and could not be accessed at all!  {Gasps and horror!!! }  Imagine my panic and indignity at this cruel injustice.  Sure, he is not the most popular oppa ever, and I am the only poster, but do you have to lock his thread, too?  Fortunately it was just a momentary Soompi fluke, and the mod who responded to my plea to reopen was very sympathetic to my cry.  You people need to help me out and give some likes to a few posts or something. :D

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, t123han said:

For someone who is seriously suffering from withdrawal symptoms and want to move on , here are few tips. I cannot gaurantee they will work because I have been trying to get them to work for me and have been half successful, but hey never say never !!!

And if none of the above tips works for you then relive MA for now and follow the same steps after few days, and that’s how I ended up on this site again !!!!!

@t123han:D:lol::lol:!!  I have a few of my own but don't want to give you any more ideas.

• Like 6

An interesting parallel:

The Ep 10 Live-By-Your-Name scene parallels the Ep 11 Buy-Me-Slippers confession in a way.

Ahjussi demands that Ji An do something (Live by your name. / Buy me another pair of slippers.) then stomps off, while Ji An stays rooted to her spot, visibly affected.

mYpom87.gif

bAEz6rl.gif

• Like 7

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

An interesting parallel:

The Ep 10 Live-By-Your-Name scene parallels the Ep 11 Buy-Me-Slippers confession in a way.

Ahjussi demands that Ji An do something (Live by your name. / Buy me another pair of slippers.) then stomps off, while Ji An stays rooted to her spot, visibly affected.

He is too funny.  Who else loves it when he is all gruff outside but a big softie inside?  And when will Ji An reach comfort and when will he dare "wear those slippers" in the broad daylight?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1