[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 5/21/2018 at 8:08 AM, justamom said:

And I absolutely agree. There is no way they can end up with anyone else. That to me is one of the most obvious reasons why they will eventually end up together, however long it takes.

They will eventually end up together, though it may take more than a few years and a few relationships with other people before they finally realize it's all futile.  It reminds me a little of Gone With the Wind and how many men before Scarlett finally became Rhett's.  

On 5/21/2018 at 8:22 AM, justamom said:

It makes me wonder how many lines they cut out? I think there was a line in the preview for 13/14 that wasn't shown eventually either. I really want to read this damn script! Or hopefully the director's cut will have more of these edited scenes!

Wasn't there a line in one of the long teasers before the premiere of Dong Hoon chiding Ji An, telling her to not bottle it up, to curse if she feels like cursing, etc.?  Does anyone remember?

On 5/21/2018 at 7:56 AM, anipanch said:

Looking at the last scene and just remembering every glance LSK did can't help but be reminded of Keira Knightley's quote: "I don't think that you can fake warmth. You can fake lust, jealousy, anger; those are all quite easy. But actual, genuine warmth? I don't think you can fake it." And it kinda brings smile to my face 'cos LSK definitely managed to convey warmth and so much it feels unbelievable. Like the way he looks at JA in those behind the scenes photos from the last episode. Even the sentence he speaks "JiAn did you find your comfortable place?" idk it just fills me with so much love and warmth it's mindblowing

I really really hope he will win lots of awards this year and who knows maybe MA will get an international recognition as well like "Mother" did it. I'm also waiting to see if we get foreign adaptations as well, now that will be a great thing

@anipanch, never mind adaptations.  They all should just sub this original masterpiece and play it everywhere.  And yes, I desperately hope they win some international awards.  I am trying to get some friends and family members to watch this, but at the same time I wonder if they can get past the first two very bleak episodes.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

4 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I am trying to get some friends and family members to watch this, but at the same time I wonder if they can get past the first two very bleak episodes

ugh don't even remind me. I've been trying to convince my sister to watch it. No success yet :( and all of my friends around me who watch dramas are busy with some year-end projects and exams, leaving me alone to experience the excellence called "My mister"

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

How is everyone fairing? I feel lost :(

Need a new addiction stat!

I started rewatching, one episode a day.

I had forgotten how downright unpleasant Ji An is in the first few episodes. A nasty piece of work, she is.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

2 hours ago, ccl82 said:

Correcto! But it wasn't just that it was tender and intimate, he has never spoken to her this way, if you recall. 

It was always quite I dunno.. matter-of-factly, or pity-party kinda talk. He has never ever asked her about her feelings. This was the first time. But certainly not the last :)

Upon re-watching last night, I just realised the awkwardness of the encounter in front of the police station

DH: YH, meet JA. JA, meet my wife. Oh, nevermind. 

The trio have shared the screen together before, right before the phone booth reveal. But of course, DH & YH didn't notice JA lurking in the distance. 

Huh? Are you serious? Is this from Dramafever too? 

@nearsea Erm... So this is embarassing...  I dunnno how else to do this, so I just took a video of the cafe scene. Haha. Here you go. Hope you can make out the subs. 

Chingu, is this from the official TVN website translation? Where do you get your streaming? The reason I am asking is because once the official Blu Ray/DVD will come out I want to know which one to buy and spend money on. Pfft:angry: what a major difference and really an awful subtitles done by Dramafever. 

I agree with you the trio JA-DH-YH shared a screen before from earlier episode when the first phone booth was found by DH. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos, thanks! :)
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, timidjock0819 said:

Chingu, is this from the official TVN website translation? Where do you get your streaming? The reason I am asking is because once the official Blu Ray/DVD will come out I want to know which one to buy and spend money on. Pfft:angry: what a major difference and really an awful subtitles done by Dramafever. 

I agree with you the trio JA-DH-YH shared a screen before from earlier episode when the first phone booth was found by DH. 

How many versions of DVD/Blu Ray are there?  We should all flood DF comments section and complain about the inaccuracies.  I am still disappointed that Viki was not able to get he licence.  Reading new timed comments on Viki is one of the reasons I rewatch my favorite dramas multiple times.  

• Like 7

Just now, timidjock0819 said:

This was aired on tvN channel, on a Malaysian IPTV service. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Love the contrast between these two shots

Episode 15 - JA deleted the wiretap app 

RED LIGHT, STOP SIGN

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 16 - DH & JA Reunion

GREEN LIGHT

OMG!!!  I internally screamed.  What amazing detailing.  Do you really think it was no coincidence?  

Another problem with watching this in a vacuum is that it really takes detective level work from more than one viewer to really understand what the writer and director are trying to tell us.  Like someone said upstairs, it's not for the lazy bum.  I wonder how far in advance Director KWS saw the script so he could plan out all these tiny little details.  This is creative story-telling alright! 

Unfortunately it had to come at the expense of skinship.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 17

33 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

How many versions of DVD/Blu Ray are there?  We should all flood DF comments section and complain about the inaccuracies.  I am still disappointed that Viki was not able to get he licence.  Reading new timed comments on Viki is one of the reasons I rewatch my favorite dramas multiple times.  

I was so disappointed when Viki didn't get the license for My Ajusshi. I mean Mother got both licensing of Viki and Dramafever. Most of LJE's k-dramas are all exclusively rights by Dramafever in North America. Now I wonder what kind of a mess they did subtitling Moon Lovers too:huh: Why oh why!! it is always tough to be an international fan of IU:(

Can Dramafever stop buying exclusive rights of LJE's dramas? Is the owner of that company an obsessed IU fan or something:lol: I mean the site have all exclusive rights and and holding hostage LJE's dramas even Dream High. Their horrible subtitles and slow service really sucks the life out of everything .. So sad-_- Everyone was cursing their website during the finale episode of My Ajusshi because they posted it so late. And now this crazy subtitle screw-up for My Ajusshi with the important language nuance of the ending. Yes, I am getting pissed off about it. 

29 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

This was aired on tvN channel, on a Malaysian IPTV service. 

Thanks so much friend:heart:. So I will buy the Malaysian version of MA because I know the subs will likely be accurate of the ending. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit your previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 11
  • LOL 2

I just can't let this go! More thoughts:

Wish list:

1. I wish DH gave JA some socks at some point!

2. I wish DH told JA, 'see you soon' at the end.

3. I wish DH wore his slippers at the new office.

4. I wish it was clear that DH divorced YH.

5. I wish we got another hug at the end. But DH actually initiated the holding of hands (even though it was only a handshake). A gigantic breakthrough!

This is my 'Healing Drama Report Card'  H = healed

SH - he reconciled with his wife. Got his Hong Kong film scene. He is not drinking daily at Jung Hee's bar. His selfless act at the funeral for JA's grandma.   H+

KH - he started writing again. YR is acting and is a star and he smiled at her film! YR still visits  JH's bar.    H-

YR - She is a star. She still visits the bar looking for KH.   H

JH - She had her talk with the monk.   H

GI/KI - He helped save JA in the end.   H

YH - She left for (us) US. She helped JA stay out of jail. She is letting DH decide what he wants to do.    H

DH - He didn't die! He didn't adopt JA! He had the courage to start his own business. He got to see JA again! (He opened his new company where he could see JA again. More on that later)   H+

JA - She didn't die! She didn't get adopted! She is nice to her coworkers, has friends, and is dressed in bright clothes that fit. She has new shoes (no socks) and she can still see DH!

H+++

My Ahjussi/My Mister - H+++++++++++++++++ (16 + for each ep +1 for extra ep/series/film)

Got to say that when the package from KI arrived and the workers looked cautiously at it I had to laugh. The first package got DH and JA together and that final package helped to heal KI, helped save JA from jail and freed DH from worry.

I'm really glad that JA had a chance to grow away from DH. She was allowed to gather knowledge without DH's guidance and grow stronger without his presence. She was recognized for her good work. She has friendly co-workers that she is friendly with in return. She had a chance to be 'normal'.

I'm also glad that DH left Saman. He had the strength to go out on his own and succeed. He has his close co-workers. He doesn't seem like he goes daily to JH's bar. He is happy!

Most open endings you don't really know what will happen next. You hope for certain progressions but you can't be sure. But we know JA. It is only a year. Her feelings haven't changed. We know she will follow through and call DH and she will buy DH that delicious meal. They will meet again. It wasn't a bye forever and them walking away. I think DH knew that JA's company has an office in Seoul and that one day JA will be transferred. So he opened his company nearby thinking that he would run into her one day. Looks like she walked to the coffee shop. He walked to the coffee shop (that coffee prince). So, their offices must be close by right?! The coffee shop will be their meeting place. Their own JH's bar. They will meet often!

I'm sure you guys all had similar comments but I just had to unload my thoughts. Thanks!

Oh, one last comment for now. Of course there was no kiss at the end. With that facial hair DH had going he couldn't kiss JA. Although I'm sure JA wouldn't have minded.

• Like 11
  • LOL 6

49 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Love the contrast between these two shots

Episode 15 - JA deleted the wiretap app 

RED LIGHT, STOP SIGN

Hide contents

Episode 16 - DH & JA Reunion

GREEN LIGHT

That's some makjang level observation there. Thank you our resident sherlock! I think we need to see the show in terms of the signs again. 

35 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

OMG!!!  I internally screamed.  What amazing detailing.  Do you really think it was no coincidence?  

Another problem with watching this in a vacuum is that it really takes detective level work from more than one viewer to really understand what the writer and director are trying to tell us.  Like someone said upstairs, it's not for the lazy bum.  I wonder how far in advance Director KWS saw the script so he could plan out all these tiny little details.  This is creative story-telling alright! 

I think the director is a shipper too! How clever of him to plant all these details! 

*I am wondering did the writer insert all these metaphors while writing? If that's the case, I mean just wow. She really deserves all the credit for this drama. I can see that the drama relied a lot on visuals, graphics, and words to show us what's the writer thinking.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, popai5 said:

I just can't let this go! More thoughts:

Oh, one last comment for now. Of course there was no kiss at the end. With that facial hair DH had going he couldn't kiss JA. Although I'm sure JA wouldn't have minded.

Thank you for unloading your thoughts; I can never get tired of reading people's thoughts.  To be honest, I am slightly annoyed they had LSK sport a light mustache for this drama.  He never did that for his other shows.  I don't know if they were trying to make him look more manly or old. 

14 minutes ago, nearsea said:

That's some makjang level observation there. Thank you our resident sherlock! I think we need to see the show in terms of the signs again. 

I think the director is a shipper too! How clever of him to plant all these details! 

*I am wondering did the writer insert all these metaphors while writing? If that's the case, I mean just wow. She really deserves all the credit for this drama. I can see that the drama relied a lot on visuals, graphics, and words to show us what's the writer thinking.

Of course the director is a shipper, too.  100%.

I also wonder whether it's the director or writer who thinks of visual details for a show.  What about tags for dialogues?  Does a screen writer insert the appropriate tag for specific scene?  Or is it the job of the director?

• Like 6

Another great detail in episode 15!

When the chairman and DH finished their lunch, he said "When JA finishes doing her time for her crime, tell her to call me. She needs to see the full light not half of it (the full bright world)" (Translation by dramamilk, DramaFever's translation is incorrect)

JA's wallpaper screen before she deleted the wiretap app -> half light

YCKvZW.png

After she stopped wiretapping (her "crime") -> road to the full light

KUHD95.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Another great detail in episode 15!

When the chairman and DH finished their lunch, he said "When JA finishes doing her time for her crime, tell her to call me. She needs to see the full light not half of it (the full bright world)" (Translation by dramamilk, DramaFever's translation is incorrect)

JA's wallpaper screen before she deleted the wiretap app -> half light

After she stopped wiretapping (her "crime") -> road to the full light

The mind boggles.  Thank you.

• Like 5

I had never been part of any fandom of any drama that has inspired people to create all sorts of fan arts and fan fictions, so it's such an unexpected treat to see so many My Ajusshi inspired arts everywhere.  These are especially beautiful:

• Like 8

I looked up for the definition of quarter, and guess what? 

A quarterly report is a set of financial statements issued by a company every three months.

Also, take into consideration this fact:

Generally, quarters end in March, June, September, and December, and quarterly reports are filed a few weeks later.

She returned in March, when she gave the manager 4th quarter report (i.e. the report for the 12th month). 

I also noticed something: Ji Ahn is already in Seoul when she gives the 4th quarter report to the manager. 

s18Lopq.jpg

So, considering all of this, we can conclude she returned to Seoul after a year !

• Like 12

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

They will eventually end up together, though it may take more than a few years and a few relationships with other people before they finally realize it's all futile.  It reminds me a little of Gone With the Wind and how many men before Scarlett finally became Rhett's.  

Wasn't there a line in one of the long teasers before the premiere of Dong Hoon chiding Ji An, telling her to not bottle it up, to curse if she feels like cursing, etc.?  Does anyone remember?

@anipanch, never mind adaptations.  They all should just sub this original masterpiece and play it everywhere.  And yes, I desperately hope they win some international awards.  I am trying to get some friends and family members to watch this, but at the same time I wonder if they can get past the first two very bleak episodes.

I tell friends to just get past episode 3 coz they dont like heavy stuff. But i keep bugging them to watch :lol: why 3? if you look at the MA's ratings on wikipedia, their lowest rating was in episode 3 then it was a continuous climb after that if you look at all Weds and the all Thurs ratings. I figure there's another strong show on Wednesdays same time slot that is why it has slightly but consistently lower rating than Thursday rating. Is this deduction correct? What show ate up on MA's ratings during Weds? I am just curious =)

• Like 4

@tiger457_stv,thank you :) for give me free consoling post  about how to deep looking in Jian pov.

Thank you to erase my worry thinking her alone all her life is hurt me than anything. After find someone she trusted and get push over again give me chill( afther the hug what that man says"go...you should go...and she persistance stand still with wet eyes (God i cried again)...why? He  turning back at the end..but look what my strong girl do...she give him last cheer up:bawling: faighting) oh man ..the writer knew to crushed my heart(sorry i wepping badly now)

i will rewatch again episode 16 after reading all friend post later.

Who knew i can found a peace to looking some more hint might ease my pain. (I little regret relay on to  writer to end this drama with sweet ending love story for DH an Jian or she should write about Jian fainding her love of her life?)

thank you friend i still hang in this tread so much.

Happy gloomy wednesday soompier

Our show is end.

My heart still deep in that show

I lost over this show..really healing drama:frown:.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, kdramafanlsk said:

I tell friends to just get past episode 3 coz they dont like heavy stuff. But i keep bugging them to watch :lol: why 3? if you look at the MA's ratings on wikipedia, their lowest rating was in episode 3 then it was a continuous climb after that if you look at all Weds and the all Thurs ratings. I figure there's another strong show on Wednesdays same time slot that is why it has slightly but consistently lower rating than Thursday rating. Is this deduction correct? What show ate up on MA's ratings during Weds? I am just curious =)

I think Wednesday's ratings for any show have always been lower than Thursday's. Maybe fewer people watch on Wednesday, and more would then tune in on thursday because of the cliff hanger at the end of the Wednesday episode?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1