[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well. Thank you for continuing to post different updates, I enjoyed reading them still!

Just based on a whim, I googled "one million roses association with the little prince". Indeed I found this blog, which detailed the genealogy of the song, including its affinity with St-Exupery's masterpiece.

http://onemillionroses.blogspot.com/2011/03/geneaologies-of-song.html

Not sure how many of you loved the Little Prince... Here is the pdf version I found.

http://verse.aasemoon.com/images/f/f5/The_Little_Prince.pdf

Who was Park Dong Hoon's "rose" who tormented him and who caused him to escape to another planet? It must be his wife. She was a foreign, complicated and haughty rose indeed! And I wonder if the quaint fox who tamed him was Lee JiAn. And the whole idea of dying and reincarnation which @h2ogirl and others analysed and developed in the past. Haha, I guess this is where the analogy ends?

I must confess that I enjoyed My Mister for exactly for how they portrayed DH's descend into darkness in the first 9 episodes (masochistic streak in me?). When jaded from a tough day, I sink comfortably into my couch and play the first episodes again. I've been meaning to write a comparison between the first half of MA, which charted DH's unravelling, and another movie, that other Wong Kar Wai movie, Happy Together, which is perhaps a precursor to Mood for Love? I did not sense any chemistry between the two actors in Happy Together. Perhaps the movie was meant rather to portray the monotonous pain of being stuck in limbo, exiled to a season in hell, and of eventual recovery. Perhaps in November I will find some time to do screenshots and draw together some similarities. Until, then, I go back to my planet which looks like this. Take care!

LP-15-1-288x300.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 11:26 AM, oldschooler said:

I must confess that I enjoyed My Mister for exactly for how they portrayed DH's descend into darkness in the first 9 episodes (masochistic streak in me?). When jaded from a tough day, I sink comfortably into my couch and play the first episodes again. I've been meaning to write a comparison between the first half of MA, which charted DH's unravelling, and another movie, that other Wong Kar Wai movie, Happy Together, which is perhaps a precursor to Mood for Love? I did not sense any chemistry between the two actors in Happy Together. Perhaps the movie was meant rather to portray the monotonous pain of being stuck in limbo, exiled to a season in hell, and of eventual recovery. Perhaps in November I will find some time to do screenshots and draw together some similarities. Until, then, I go back to my planet which looks like this. Take care!

It's been rather quiet here, but @oldschooler, I am very much looking forward to reading your next essay. It's almost November, just saying. :)

I have read more than one person noting the similarity between the PDH-LJA relationship to that between Anna Dostoyevsky and her famous, much older writer husband Fyodor Mikhailovich. If anyone is interested, read this: https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/02/15/anna-dostoyevsky-reminiscences-marriage/

"For the next twenty-five days, Anna came to Dostoyevsky’s house at noon and stayed until four. Their dictating sessions were punctuated by short breaks for tea and conversation. With each day, he grew kinder and warmer toward her, and eventually came to address her by his favorite term of endearment, “golubchik” — Russian for “little dove.” He cherished her seriousness, her extraordinary powers of sympathy, how her luminous spirit dissipated even his darkest moods and lifted him out of his obsessive thoughts. She was touched by his kindness, his respect for her, how he took a genuine interest in her opinions and treated her like a collaborator rather than hired help. But neither of them was aware that this deep mutual affection and appreciation was the seed of a legendary love.

In her altogether spectacular memoir of marriage, Dostoevsky Reminiscences (public library), Anna recounts a prescient exchange that took place during one of their tea breaks:

Each day, chatting with me like a friend, he would lay bare some unhappy scene from his past. I could not help being deeply touched at his accounts of the difficulties from which he had never extricated himself, and indeed could not.

[…]

Fyodor Mikhailovich always spoke about his financial straits with great good nature. His stories, however, were so mournful that on one occasion I couldn’t restrain myself from asking, “Why is it, Fyodor Mikhailovich, that you remember only the unhappy times? Tell me instead about how you were happy.”

“Happy? But I haven’t had any happiness yet. At least, not the kind of happiness I always dreamed of. I am still waiting for it.”

Little did either of them know that he was in the presence of that happiness at that very moment."

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Breaking news, everyone! There is now a legal way to watch My Ajusshi as Viki has just acquired the license. Even more good news is that they seem to plan to sub the whole thing all over again instead of using whatever subs already available. I am thankful because Viki is known to have the best subs but surprised that they are using their limited resources to work on an old drama instead of currently airing ones. Hope a new batch of viewers will give this gem a chance. Now if only Viki would only change the name from the rather random Mr. Lonely:unsure:

https://www.viki.com/tv/35740c-mr-lonely

COMING SOON

Mr. Lonely

나의 아저씨

Mr. Lonely

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Asohib said:

He's alone tho, till last ep. So the title fits him.

I can just changed the 'n' to 'v' and tada...new title. Fits him too...kkk

Many would probably argue against your first point but definitely not your second. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, sadiesmith said:

Breaking news, everyone! There is now a legal way to watch My Ajusshi as Viki has just acquired the license. Even more good news is that they seem to plan to sub the whole thing all over again instead of using whatever subs already available. I am thankful because Viki is known to have the best subs but surprised that they are using their limited resources to work on an old drama instead of currently airing ones. Hope a new batch of viewers will give this gem a chance. Now if only Viki would only change the name from the rather random Mr. Lonely:unsure:

I heard a while ago that Viki's subbers went on a strike and Viki used bot translator that the subtitle read like what you get from Google Translate...

Hopefully they have resolved the problem and will sub My Ahjussi well.

Mr. Lonely is a bit random.

My mind went straight to Akon's song "Lonely"...kind of ruining the mood :sweatingbullets:

Park Dong Hoon is lonely. I think, everyone in this drama is lonely.  But, the loneliest person is probably Kang Yoon Hee, although some of it is from her own making...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi... just want to say hi to you all. And just want to post in here. Kinda miss this forum and all discussion.

Anyway, I watch it again, the whole 16 episodes in 3 days. This drama really hooked me up once, and I got hooked again. What a drama.

Have a nice  day all

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

So, who's ready for some translations? Sorry this took forever, I've been busy with my own work. But it's been a joy to have My Ahjussi's script next to me, which I pick up every now and then for a read of one of my favourite scenes.

Here's a translation of the script for the ending cafe scene, to be continued...

I was struck by how spare but precise the writing was, and also how much room the director had for visual cues and his own interpretation. More later, enjoy!

A Large, Spacious Coffeeshop

The back silhouette of Ji An, standing in line at the cash register.

Out of nowhere, Dong Hoon's laughter!

The back of Ji An's head, completely still. There isn't a sound.

Hang on. Her ears prick up. A moment later, the faint sound of Dong Hoon's laughter and voice.

Ji An turns around. Ji An's back, going into the spacious hall in search of Dong Hoon's voice.

That's right, searching...In one corner she sees him seated, his back to her

Unmistakably his voice.

Dong Hoon sits facing another man, laughing and talking.

The man glances at Ji An, wondering why she keeps looking over here.

Dong Hoon follows the man's eyes, turns around for a look

She looks so different he cannot, for a moment, recognise Ji An

Dazed, his face brightens as he realises who she is, finally seeing her face, he smiles brightly

Ji An: ...!

Dong Hoon: It's been a while...

The two who have not seen in each other in a long time look at each other with joy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

It feels a little odd to be back writing after such a long break. I have been keeping up with some of your posts every now and then but felt a little distant. I am sorry for taking this long break, but for anyone who is still interested, I am trying to continue writing this fanfic. I feel like I am the one who needs the comfort it used to bring more now. So I hope that my attempt to continue to express this journey continues to bring you joy and comfort:)

Chapter 20: Deep Water

6951c607105d7d6a7bd1cf98c4bc1fc20c879140

• Like 6