[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

Hello! Uhm sorry for suddenly posting here as I'm new in this thread. I just don't know where to release all the feels after ep 11! twitter is not a good place right now because many haven't watched the drama and I don't want others be spoiled about it. Hahaha. But yep..

Wanted to ask where does the poem came from? I mean the book it was quoted from? I love it by the time Se Hee and Ji Ho are quoting it. <3 

"Meeting someone in life is actually quite astonishing. That's because someone's whole life comes along with them. The heart is fragile so it may have been broken. That heart is coming along too."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So happy that somebody has finally drummed it into SuJi's  ear that going to office without bra is so off and it's no other person than her boyfriend. Finally.

I still don't understand why it was introduced in the first place. Being free and independent minded shouldn't mean stupidity. 

• Like 6

What a beautiful episode Ep 11 is.  :wub:  The lines are profound and yet so poignant. The cinematography is appropriately picturesque without being overly dramatic. The humorous parts come out very naturally. Kudos to the writer and the director. I really love this episode! 

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, darr said:

So happy that somebody has finally drummed it into SuJi's  ear that going to office without bra is so off and it's no other person than her boyfriend. Finally.

I still don't understand why it was introduced in the first place. Being free and independent minded shouldn't mean stupidity. 

because wonder bra is their sponsor so they have to in it :D 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, kimnabong said:

The Ex

I'm thinking that maybe SH was ejected from his household because he was in a relationship with an older woman. I'm also thinking that maybe both he and the older woman let each other go because it was simply the smartest thing to do for them at that time. Considering these references to The Graduate, 50 Shades... It must have been a very steamy affair that Se Hee had if even SG is walking on egg shells talking about it. LOL it's like Se Hee starring in another drama before this. LOL. 

My thought too. For his dad to be THAT mad at SH, she must not be 'ideal' according to him.

Older and more experience perhaps... more worldly than SH. If that's SH's first love then he must got it bad. 

Oh, whats with the post-it note? :o

1: Live your life as if nothing happened. Don't ever love someone. 

2: Don't ever love someone. You don't have the right to love. 

Are these same note or two different notes? Whatever happened must be really devastating since the message is so negative.  

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

Oh lordy... I understand why Ho-rang is the way she is with a mother like that. So much pressure! And Won-seok is feeling it as well. Also, they're really not on the same page. I mean they're not even in the same book. It's like Ho-rang is talking about weddings while Won-seok is talking about jobs.

HR's mother is like any other mothers with traditional views - and there are a lot of them here, even my mother. :D

Perhaps HR is influenced by her mother but perhaps it's really what HR dreamed of. She's the one who wants that life - life wearing black coat and be just like every other wives. Too bad she spent so much time dreaming and not looking at reality. Now I wonder, how much HR actually love WS. Does she love him because of him - the real WS, or because WS represents her dream? :wacko:

• Like 8

I have to tell my feelings last nite when i can't even watch live streaming and rely on the streaming updates of eps 11 from this thread. I promised to accompany my bf to watch Jigsaw in exchange of Thor. But in the cinema, I kept looking at my phone and I wanted to scream out loud when I read all the posts about the kiss (not because of  the gore I saw in the movie :P). And my bf was kind of angry with me because of that :D Of course, I'd prefer to distract myself with JH-SH kiss rather than watch such a brutal or sadistic scene *sigh* Poor my shipper heart.. Can you imagine? :D 

Anyway, after watched the subs, I must say that the convo between JH-SH at the beach is indeed absolutely beautiful.. but what i love the most is the parallelism that the writer-nim used in the drama. I supposed 24 Dec 2005 is the date when SH felt really heart broken while at the same time, JH realized that her dream is to loving someone (SH finally know this because he read JH's diary). I guess this part also played a pivotal part for him, so he finally 'surrender' to JH and return her feelings..

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, nellebean said:

I haven't watched ep. 11 yet, but from what I've read here, I feel sorry for Horang. Poor girl, wasted her 20s on a Peter Pan. Getting married and raising children is not a bad dream- I think she's been unfairly criticized for selling herself short and whatnot. Being CEO is not for everybody... So I want to know, what is WS thinking? Why did he date her for the past 7 years? What's that horrible saying? "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." Is that what happened here? 

I watch romantic dramas because of happy endings, so I want Horang to get her happy ending, too. And I don't think becoming a Red Coat Ajumma is her happy ending. Poor girl. 

It's interesting you blame WS because I personally feel more sympathy for him. According to my values, I believe women should be independent first and foremost, which is why I cannot support HR's dream at the expense of WS. However, if anything, they are both at fault for not properly communicating their goals in life and plans for the future. They should have discussed it at length instead of assuming or expecting the other would give in and accommodate when push comes to shove. This is essential for two people who want to share their lives together and because they lacked this foresight their relationship is inevitably jeopardized. 

• Like 4

Busy work day today but I am finally caught up with the forum and omg, explosion. The kiss was not an imagination! It was real! SH has open his heart and the result was explosive indeed.

tumblr_mndmbjkwJc1r8dy8go4_r1_250.gif

I cannot wait for their date in the next episode. I mean even with the return of the ex, I am not so worry. I trust this writer and know she won't give us any noble idiocy in break up or so. I think with the ex return, it is just going to give SH the closure to his twenties. 

If his relationship was the noona type relationship, given the time frame of his twenties, it may not have been acceptable as it is now (with the noona thing only becoming a IT thing in recent year). And from the conversation with his Dad when he bought JH over, it could be one where she was using him for her own gain. His dad did ask JH during the meeting as to why someone like her  with a good profession want marry his son. I think in part he was asking to protect his son from being hurt or use again. Just an opinion.

SH backstory is the mystery for our couple to try be officially married :wink: so cannot wait to find out tomorrow.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, valentvcd said:

and this beats subway ads..

because as a side story, they have taken 11 episodes.. to prove why you must wear wonderbra..  for 10 episodes we have seen her struggle uncomfortable feeling of wearing bra..

A sponsor got its own storyline :) 

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Woww just one night/ two kisses later and this thread jumped 10 pages :lol: 

8.5 hours to go to ep 12! The next ep is 12 right? I'm kinda lost with the numbers lol.

I was thinking of the kiss scene again (JH I totally feel you, I'm gonna be thinking abt this kiss for the entire day or maybe a few days) and I just want to say that I think part of what makes it so amazing to me is how honest the previous convo was. JH is honest abt her lack of experience and how she doesn't know a lot of things, which I think takes a lot of courage to do because people tend to hide their inexperience and try to appear more knowledgeable than they actually are. Well granted at that time I think JH was just feeling a little sad because SH, in comparison, seemed very experienced to her.. But I rly admire her character for her ability to just acknowledge her inexperience out loud like that.

SH on the other hand is also kinda honest about having been hurt in the past. And I think what's great abt the kiss is that it's a step that both parties take being fully aware of where they both stand. In reference to the poem, imagine they're on a road, SH now knows that the road JH was on literally had nothing on it. Maybe a few bumps here and there but no big obstacles. JH can also see that SH was on a road that had sth big happen, maybe say a big tree is blocking the road behind him. But this kiss is where their paths converge, And they're standing there at like a crossroads of sorts.

Sigh I loveee the emotional buildup to the kiss scene so much, makes it so much more satisfying. I was just dying when watching it live cos once SH mentioned the bus stop kiss I knew he was gonna want to demonstrate and kiss her and I was just DYING at that point. Like you know its gonna happen but there's still that little seed of doubt of like would he or wouldnt he and then he actually does it!!! And then I was just dead. It was way more than I expected tbh I still can't wrap my head around how the SH in ep 1-4 is this smooth & good at kissing. 

But I guess it's also cos JH is the right person (key) to unlock this side of him. I also love how it's her musings abt how everything when done with a different person is a new thing that finally pushes him to actually act on his feelings. I just love how it's her words and her intellect that connects with him. It's love? I think when the ex rolls around, he might also realise that what he had with the ex is not love and what he has with JH in comparison is much more.

Anw I think this kiss is almost reaching Coffee Prince levels of awesomeness for me. My ultimate gold standard in emotional build up + amazing kiss is the coffee Prince kiss in the cafe where gong yoo admits that it's fine if this means he's gay because he just can't hold back anymore.

No other drama has ever come close to that kiss so I'm so glad this drama came along. I'm also probably gonna rewatch it when it ends (another marker of a great drama) :wub:

Oh and yesterday's episode was my fav ep of the drama so far! The writer and director are so consistently great that it seems that the latest ep will always be my fav. Love how I cant predict anything in this drama haha

• Like 13

Yea I think this is one of the best kisses I've seen in kdrama land. For the honesty and vulnerability that came along with it. It was tender, sweet and also hot as heck. For JHs first time, she did great :tongue:

i wonder why they sat in separate seats on the way back? Was she too embarrassed? 

• Like 11
  • LOL 2

There is another interesting thing:

When SH asked JH if she came because she worried for him..

basically tells us.. he is asking drawing from his experience.. he is asking because that is what he felt..

He came rushing to his parents house, because he was worried about her..

All through his stay at namhee he was making comparisons!

Preview shows them returning in same clothes..else a forced overnight stay would do wonders..

after a kiss, if you hav to sleep with the person on the same bed .. ke ke ke ke (which would happen if they were to stay at parents palce)

Has SH always been saving the seat? I don't think so.. but this time he actually put his bag on the other seat to block anyone else from sitting there..

Ah! how he behaves as a husband..

Knows when wife is angry and pacifies her .. by keepign straight face, treading cautiously, take her out for dinner so she doesn't have to cook and get tired... tell her something which will get her to talk (aka her bff is going on dates :tongue: )

• Like 14

13 hours ago, 8mel said:

I haven't calm my a.s.s down yet! Best episode! Love the moment when SH smiles before he went for the second kiss. :love:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I love everything  in this scene! nothing but pure love! I love reading all your posts! Best episode and best KiSS! I am inlove with this two! Can't  wait for the next episode.

Annyeong chingus! 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, GreeNNa said:

:heart:

"This Life Is Our First Life" is the rare drama that's so good it even manages to erase the need for unpredictably. Even though I know exactly where all of this is going (spoiler alert: happy endings for everyone), it's watching them struggle to make that journey which is the real pleasure, not any sense of surprise. All three of the main couples see ultimate happiness as being, fundamentally, a problem which needs to be solved somehow and are going after that problem in radically different ways. But note how none of the six wildly different paths to success are obviously right or wrong. They have their up days, and their down days.

Review by William Schwartz

Hancinema

Thanks @GreeNNa for thre review. William Schwartz is quite a critical reviewer and for him to say so many positive things about this drama speaks volume! :heart:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

There is another interesting thing:

When SH asked JH if she came because she worried for him..

basically tells us.. he is asking drawing from his experience.. he is asking because that is what he felt..

He came rushing to his parents house, because he was worried about her..

All through his stay at namhee he was making comparisons!

YES! I like how we have insights to his feelings through this comparison. It was an interesting way of letting us know what he was feeling then instead of a voice over or a flashback!! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, lclarakl said:

3) I like the fact that SJ stood up to Mr. Park and the other guys who had made a bet about her breast size. Today, for the first time, they saw a different side of her.  I also was extremely angry when Mr. Part purposely threw food on her so that she would have to take off her coat because he knew she wasn't wearing a bra. I was hoping she would tell him off then but she didn't. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've never felt that Soo Ji ever took responsibility for her decision to go braless. The reactions, whether the gossip in the women's bathroom or the blatant reactions of Mr. Park and his co-horts, were prickly and never supported her choice.  She bristled at the negative responses and yet continued her braless demeanor.  If individuality or notoriety were goals, well, for certain she achieved the latter. Was this decision to advance her quest for promotion regardless of achievement  or competency ? Were the male dominated dinners to titillate the men workers or for her to mingle with the boys making her a player?  But really, if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.  Know the environment in which you choose to display your decision because obviously, the office mores of at least Kdramaland was an inappropriate place. At least Sang Gu was supportive to the extent that he got a whole bunch of bras from which she could choose the more comfortable. What a sweetie!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Love, love, love, this episode."

This was just the best episode!  My heart giggled and just delighted in the scenes where the kimchi ladies had him running around in circles, my heart skipped a beat when Se Hee's face lit up when Ji-Ho appeared on the scene, and of course, the piece de resistance was the way Se Hee smoothly maneuvered into THE kiss and the kiss after that.  Never would I ever expected nor thought Se Hee capable of such a heart throbbing segue into a most romantically gratifying expression of affection.  Still waters run deep.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, valentvcd said:

Now I know but they would have used a more approachable way between the three girlfriends. 

Thanks for educating me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mywebfoot said:

This makes me wonder about Se Hee some more. 

In my experience, when someone is withdrawn from the world, it's either because they don't care (self-centred) or they just care too much (sensitive). Se Hee shows all the signs of the latter. That he knew Ji Ho liked him sealed this impression for me. Ji Ho's lack of poker face is a running visual gag in the drama, so it's not so hard to tell either, but if Se Hee were just self-centred, he wouldn't know or wouldn't care even if he knew. 

So, going on the premise that Se Hee is sensitive, I would go with the theory that in a relationship the man is 110% present, or as you say, had a 'very steamy affair'. But Se Hee also hurt his ex very badly, so much so that she cursed him never to love again (the post-it in the book of poetry). For a sensitive person, to hurt someone is also to feel that hurt, so although he must have had his reasons, he went through double-the-hell in his previous relationship.

Sum effect - Se Hee exiled himself. He can love Kitty, but only under extenuating circumstances did he let Kitty in, and Kitty was a far more controllable entity than another human being. He can love his protective house, because that's where he can hide and stop shielding his feelings from the world. As he said to MSG - the house means a whole lot more than just an economic necessity. Volumes of backstory passed between them when he said that. 

So I agree with other posters when they say that Ji Ho effectively seduced him with her words. She tempted him out of his exile with the promise of new beginnings. The beauty of that scene though, was that she was saying those words to resign herself to never reaching his heart again.

URGH. I am jealous. How, how does the writer take two opposing intentions and weave them together like that? That was a fantastically written scene. 

the writing is so so so soooo good. I love how they handled Se Hee's character best. They never once deviated from his thinking persona, even as he handles love, as he chose to finally go for it, as he strategized how to plant the kiss. I am very invested in this drama. I wonder about how he'll handle the remaining obstacles, most pressing of which, i think, would be if Ji Ho would reconsider writing for dramas again. I think one big factor that aided SH's decision to go for it was because he read JH's dream about being in love, and not writing. It must have given him great confidence that he can actually help her fulfill that dream... that he can make her happy. 

• Like 10