[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

I looove how he teases her before the kiss, the first logic kiss, the question of permission, the sweetest, fondest smile he gave her, and the sexy, sexy second kiss! 

Oh yes, Se Hee knows all along how she feels about him and HIS own feeling, just that he still have some reservations about it esp with the past, and I Loooove...that its really JH's words that echoed in his mind and entering his soft hearted logic, finally making him feel at ease and let go of all those reservations and jump to those feelings head first. He falls for herself, for JH with all her plus and minus. And he knows it. Loooove their heartfelt and heartwarming convo. Aigooo.....soo lovable and adorable!!! 

Its so poignant, as this drama points out, that love can come at the most unexpected moment in life, and when JH thought its so hard to find a way to SH's heart, almost impossible, the one that she is pining for is just right before her, and come to her in the most beautiful and sincere way. Life lesson.. Life lesson...

Spoiler

Is it only me, who feels like kissing them (the screen, mind you, lol) who are kissing? Wkwkwkwk, they are just sooooooo..........^^

• Like 20

:heart:

“ By the way, there’s been something I’ve been wanting to correct. What you did at the bus stop isn’t a kiss. It’s more like a peck. ”“ By the way, there’s been something I’ve been wanting to correct. What you did at the bus stop isn’t a kiss. It’s more like a peck. ”

Spoiler

“ By the way, there’s been something I’ve been wanting to correct. What you did at the bus stop isn’t a kiss. It’s more like a peck. ”“ By the way, there’s been something I’ve been wanting to correct. What you did at the bus stop isn’t a kiss. It’s more like a peck. ”

Spoiler

“ By the way, there’s been something I’ve been wanting to correct. What you did at the bus stop isn’t a kiss. It’s more like a peck. ”

:lol:

Spoiler

tumblr_oz2quoKftk1wwxqzxo1_250.gif

c paper-box.

DOjHjjhUEAAlVg4.jpg

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "This Life Is Our First Life" Episode 11

photo909552.jpg

I love how the big situation comedy induced plot twist changes almost nothing, even though all of the immediately involved characters assume that it will. While "This Life Is Our First Life" mainly concerns itself with relationships between men and women, its examination of friendships between members of the same gender are equally illuminating. For all the radical differences in personality, Se-hee/Song-goo and Ji-ho/Soo-ji have very strong friendships.

We can see this spill over into their romantic lives too. It's hilarious how so shortly after Se-hee informed Song-goo that actually, it's really obvious when the bespectacled man is becoming overcome by emotions, we are now seeing Song-goo go into meltdown mode at Soo-ji constantly. Song-goo is not acting mean to her, not at all, it's just that Song-goo will get offended by behavior Soo-ji treats diffidently, even though she probably should be taking it personally.

The explanations as always remain a high point. Funny as it is that Song-goo and Soo-ji just end up having to agree to disagree about the extent she should tolerate ogling, in the end their ability to communicate feelings effectively allows them to hit a reasonable compromise. Also observe how this freedom of interpretation appears baked into their contract, while Se-hee stubbornly insists on interpreting all sub-agreements with Ji-ho as literally as possible.

Another high point is when the action moves into the countryside, mostly because I always love seeing more of Ji-ho's dad. He's very loud, and friendly, and intimidating. So are all his friends. For all the beauty of the oceanside Se-hee is visibly uncomfortable throughout the entire experience. That Se-hee chooses to endure the discomfort anyway is a pretty obvious clue to the big climax, which isn't exactly a surprise since it was in the last preview.

"This Life Is Our First Life" is the rare drama that's so good it even manages to erase the need for unpredictably. Even though I know exactly where all of this is going (spoiler alert: happy endings for everyone), it's watching them struggle to make that journey which is the real pleasure, not any sense of surprise. All three of the main couples see ultimate happiness as being, fundamentally, a problem which needs to be solved somehow and are going after that problem in radically different ways. But note how none of the six wildly different paths to success are obviously right or wrong. They have their up days, and their down days.

Review by William Schwartz

Hancinema

• Like 13
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi chingus!!! Long time no see!! Last thread I was in was radiant office :wink: great show but we waited and waited for passion and... it never happened, or at least we didnt get to see it!

Im in love with this show for many reasons; fantastic script, great directing and superb acting.

Add to that, marriage contract,  and Im all in.

But what made me decide to write today is that KISS scene!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG the flirting, sexy cunning See He OMG! ‘Do you get it now? Or should we practise some more?’ :-!!!!

I totally expected him to be awesome but this was beyond awesome and I havent swooned like this in dramaland since Coffee prince . Somebody mentioned it before but yes, total 50 shades vibe for a moment... 

Let me stop the fangirling for a moment to pray to drama Gods for this show to continue being this great and not turn into a cliche love triangle with the ex. I TRUST YOU WRITER NIM

Now back to fangirling OMG that See He man knows how to play poker :wink: 

Great to be back to share the love! My husband thinks I completely lost it tonight :) 

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

Watched it with subs over Lunch break and every excusable break I could find. I'll watch it again at home. Pretty dizzy with lack of sleep. SO WORTH IT, though. 

Everyone in this thread pretty much expressed what needed to be expressed and more with nearly every detail of this beloved episode. This is seriously one of the best directed, brilliantly written and acted dramas I've had the privilege to watch. And I am loving all the comments and squees and gifs. 

So, to be a little different, I have to say that once again, I empathize with Ho Rang and Won Seok. I think they're both at a crossroad as to whether they should get married or break up. 

I actually appreciated that Ho Rang wasn't her usual shrill self. I think the realization is dawning on her that yes, they may not be ready... or worse, they may not ever be. 

As for Won Seok, he is buckling under the expectations of others, Ho Rang, Ho Rang's mom, perhaps in a way society--or of the tenure of the relationship itself. It's been 7 years, and that length is no joke. He might be thinking that marriage is the only logical next step in his relationship with Ho Rang. 

I feel bad for Ho Rang--her wings must have been clipped by her mother. For her not to be able to realize that she can achieve so much more than being a dutiful homemaker must have started with her household. It was only Su Ji and Ji Ho who had pushed her to do better, to study harder, to aspire for more. I am thankful she has those two to help her realize that there is more to life than being someone's significant other. 

Won Seok is clearly in his element in the new office... and I hope he finds himself as well--his strengths, his abilities, and who he's supposed to be. 

What I loved about them is while each of them is suffering under the weight of their thoughts and fears, that there is a mutual will to connect once again. I love that Ho Rang is becoming quieter and reflecting on her words, actions, and their past. If she were truly just the Ho Rang of early episodes, she would have nagged Won Seok about the Savings or for coming home late. I love that Won Seok was making that effort of reconnecting with Ho Rang through a date. 

They are trying their hardest to save what they had before. If only they would start talking about what they actually have now. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I love everything about the conversation between Se-hee and Sang-gu. Sang-gu knows him so well... he really knows and understands. Lee Min-ki's acting is on point when Sang-gu asks if Ji-ho reminds him of "her".

Also love the conversation between Ji-ho and Su-ji. They're just the bestest of friends.

I had to pause the video and re-watch that point. That Sang Gu really said that and in response, Se Hee took a swig of soju. 

I sure as hell hope not. 

But my fears evaporated when Ji Ho said her piece about the actions of the past have no bearing on the present because even if you've done it before, it's a first with that specific person in that specific moment. That just because you know all about it before that you have to worry about it today (or something like that)  I agree with one other commenter here that it was the push Se Hee needed. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

I can’t believe that actually happened in this episode! I’m going to keep rewatching this episode I think. I agree with the Graduate theory though, SH’s first love may be older than him and we’ll probably get to see her. I’m happy I’ve so far been right about everything, like SH liking JH and JH probably liking SH for far longer than she thinks. I don’t what I want from this drama anymore because I feel like I’ve already gotten what I wanted...

• Like 8

I really liked this episode, it really discussed a lot of things that we have discussed in detail on this thread.

1) I like the way that JH is giving SH a little payback. He's really going out of his way to gain her forgiveness--he's a little chatty Cathy.

2) I like the way the writer showed how people can talk about others where they have no room to talk. SH was amused about the dating contract between Mr. Ma and SJ. Both he and JH shared a warm smile about it, then she reminded him that they were no different...smile slid right off his face...:lol:

3) I like the fact that SJ stood up to Mr. Park and the other guys who had made a bet about her breast size. Today, for the first time, they saw a different side of her.  I also was extremely angry when Mr. Part purposely threw food on her so that she would have to take off her coat because he knew she wasn't wearing a bra. I was hoping she would tell him off then but she didn't. 

4) I thought the conversation between SH and Mr. Ma was interesting after SH let it slip about no one should want to get married. Then Mr. Ma reminded him that he was married, then SH talked about when you see a pretty woman you can't help but look.  In a way, I got the impression that the writer was saying that men/women will look at what they think is attractive. I can't remember if SJ told the guys that they shouldn't look, but that's almost unrealistic. Not only will guys look, but so would women.

5) Mr. Ma was surprised that SJ would go around work braless. However, he also showed that it's not unusual for people to have a certain "perception" of people that go around the office braless and noticeably braless--he had a perception; that's why he's surprised.

6) I was happy that SG wasn't going to let SJ relieve her frustration from work by having sex with him. He wanted them to be able to talk about what was bothering her. 

7) It appears that the woman SH married, or wanted to marry, was someone that he cared for or maybe even loved. I guess in some ways, JH may remind him of her. I can't wait to find out more.

8) When WS came home and got into bed with HR asking her if she wanted to go on a date, why did it feel like they are breaking up.

9) I truly hope that SH rubs off on JH's father. He is very much the "women stay in their place" and "men stay in theirs". I like that SH was determined to help make kimchi.

10) Loved the the expression on SH's face when he saw JH. He was so happy.  

11) I love the way SG and SJ's romance is coming along. I think he's helping her to look at a relationship more than just hooking up. They also have a honest, everything thing on the table relationship. I love how they communicate -- they talk.

12) Can't say enough about how SH finally acknowledges that he likes JH and the kiss is real initiated by JH. Well, I said that if the kiss was real that it would be JH and I guess I called that part right. Then again, I also said that if the kiss was a fantasy that it would be JH's fantasy.  

Love, love, love this episode.

• Like 10

I haven't watched ep. 11 yet, but from what I've read here, I feel sorry for Horang. Poor girl, wasted her 20s on a Peter Pan. Getting married and raising children is not a bad dream- I think she's been unfairly criticized for selling herself short and whatnot. Being CEO is not for everybody... So I want to know, what is WS thinking? Why did he date her for the past 7 years? What's that horrible saying? "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." Is that what happened here? 

I watch romantic dramas because of happy endings, so I want Horang to get her happy ending, too. And I don't think becoming a Red Coat Ajumma is her happy ending. Poor girl. 

• Like 4

Guest mywebfoot
2 hours ago, convalescent said:

I looove how he teases her before the kiss, the first logic kiss, the question of permission, the sweetest, fondest smile he gave her, and the sexy, sexy second kiss! 

YES omg YES. Nam Se Hee makes logic and tenderness a deadly seductive combination. HELP ME.

Also... never so glad as to have been wrong about being trolled about a kiss. Thank you PD-nim, writer-nim, everybody on cast and staff of BTIMFL-nim!

I love you show. I love Nam Se Hee. I love Ji Ho. I love them together. There should be an award for best characterization because this drama will harvest it. Nam Se Hee was fleshed out in a single sweep of an episode from a comical geek to a smooth operator and it wasn't even shocking. My applause. My standing ovation to the pd.

The Ex

I'm thinking that maybe SH was ejected from his household because he was in a relationship with an older woman. I'm also thinking that maybe both he and the older woman let each other go because it was simply the smartest thing to do for them at that time. Considering these references to The Graduate, 50 Shades... It must have been a very steamy affair that Se Hee had if even SG is walking on egg shells talking about it. LOL it's like Se Hee starring in another drama before this. LOL. 

• Like 15

03112017_seoulbeats_jung_so_min_lee_min_images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY5jVY9KUlBWQokM6ZDUnbecause-this-is-my-first-life-episode-9-

Love comes in many forms... Grows in many ways... And can be expressed in a language all it's own...

After watching this episode with subs I found myself wanting to correct my mistake in my earlier post in saying that romantic things may not have been said in the way I had hoped.  When in fact there were words shared and spoken that were even greater than romance and deeper than I had comprehended.  SH opening up and in a way allowing JH to see him in a different light. In him sharing that poem was like allowing her to see into his heart.   Even more JH using and giving SH some of those same words back with a spin and new meaning of her own.  As inspiration and encouragement in wanting him to see that firsts are not just found or bound or limited to the past.  But are there freely for the taking in the here and now.  For they can and are created when you experience them with someone new...

Isn't it amazing that this drama continues to make us all think outside the box almost pushing us to the edge in understanding that just because someone isn't in our eyes doing things our way or what we believe to be the usual or in our minds the normal way.  Makes them different.  In this case I believe I said logical instead of emotional.  When in truth SH's  honesty, caring nature, and protective kindness makes him less different as in a odd way and more admired in the best kind of way.  It's the same with trying to put how one expresses love towards someone else in a box when in reality it cannot be contained nor can love be limited to what others may think or believe...  For the way it is found, felt and expressed,  even accepted or rejected is handled and decided within our hearts, our values and ourselves...

Still learning :heart:usafarmgirl

Guest mywebfoot
4 hours ago, aisling said:

I have to say I’ve always liked Jung So Min (I remember her from her Playful Kiss days) but she’s totally rocking as Ji Ho. I think this is her best performance so far. 

Ditto. Jung So Min played the educationally-challenged Oh Ha Ni there, and she continued to get pigeon-holed a bit into the cute, slightly dumb and reticent roles. However, Yoon Ji Ho seems very different from her previous roles, in that JH is very intelligent, well-educated and pretty gutsy. So, I can't tell if it's the role being so different from her usual that JSM is standing out, or just because JSM is growing in her acting abilities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the YJH character is a remarkably good fit for JSM. 

So much so that even though Lee Min Ki is a phenomenal actor, my eyes are always on JSM, because she's just so real.

I also had this thought in the ep11 scene where JH decides to go to NamHae... where PD-nim chose to do a close up of her face, just glowing with love and affection for her adorable landlord-husband...omo, it feels like even PD-nim is half in love with Jung So Min's face!

I think this thread just got exploded because of SH-JH kisses! :D

Like any of you, I love the end scene at the beach. Gosh, it gives so much feeling. 
To me the kisses are the bonus, the cherry on top (and I love maraschino cherry). The highlight of that scene is the conversation between SH and JH. 

They both know something about the other (SH knows that JH might fall for him, JH knows that SH was hurt by love), yet didn't say openly and use the poem as a reference. SH said it's okay if you don't know much because it means you're still hopeful about what the new things will bring. JH said, it's okay if you are hurt (by love), you can get up and experience new ones because each experience is new experience.  

I think what JH said has finally reached in to SH's heart. I never thought SH could be that smooth in initiating the kiss... and what a kiss! :wub:

Can't wait for the next ep. Is that the ex, btw.. briefly shown in the preview?

It's interesting to note that while SH-JH and NG-SJ delve deeper in their relationship, WS-HR's is starting to break. :mellow:

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Even more JH using and giving SH some of those same words back with a spin and new meaning of her own.  As inspiration and encouragement in wanting him to see that firsts are not just found or bound or limited to the past.  But are there freely for the taking in the here and now.  For they can and are created when you experience them with someone new...

Mainhae to cut that eloquent post of yours but this part is just so beautiful.:wub: Thank You

• Like 12

Guest mywebfoot
16 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

It must have been a very steamy affair that Se Hee had if even SG is walking on egg shells talking about it. LOL it's like Se Hee starring in another drama before this. LOL. 

This makes me wonder about Se Hee some more. 

In my experience, when someone is withdrawn from the world, it's either because they don't care (self-centred) or they just care too much (sensitive). Se Hee shows all the signs of the latter. That he knew Ji Ho liked him sealed this impression for me. Ji Ho's lack of poker face is a running visual gag in the drama, so it's not so hard to tell either, but if Se Hee were just self-centred, he wouldn't know or wouldn't care even if he knew. 

So, going on the premise that Se Hee is sensitive, I would go with the theory that in a relationship the man is 110% present, or as you say, had a 'very steamy affair'. But Se Hee also hurt his ex very badly, so much so that she cursed him never to love again (the post-it in the book of poetry). For a sensitive person, to hurt someone is also to feel that hurt, so although he must have had his reasons, he went through double-the-hell in his previous relationship.

Sum effect - Se Hee exiled himself. He can love Kitty, but only under extenuating circumstances did he let Kitty in, and Kitty was a far more controllable entity than another human being. He can love his protective house, because that's where he can hide and stop shielding his feelings from the world. As he said to MSG - the house means a whole lot more than just an economic necessity. Volumes of backstory passed between them when he said that. 

So I agree with other posters when they say that Ji Ho effectively seduced him with her words. She tempted him out of his exile with the promise of new beginnings. The beauty of that scene though, was that she was saying those words to resign herself to never reaching his heart again.

URGH. I am jealous. How, how does the writer take two opposing intentions and weave them together like that? That was a fantastically written scene.