[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

My schedule is driving me nuts.

I  literally have 4 unscheduled hours in my day to do 12 hours of prep, response, meeting etc 5 days a week for the next 8-week.

My First Life is my de-stresser, my reward, my joy.

I don't have to time to unpack and analyze.

I also can't back read too much because I'm already sleep deprived.

However I wanted to say episode 11 was so joy-inducing. So lovely. So well-written. So well-acted. So well shot.

I loved it.  I love everything in Namhee.

I suspect I may fall in love with not only Se-Hee but LMK for the duration of the drama.

I'm so glad to have this version of JSM's work to experience.

I'm not sure I'm coherent, but I'm sure I was happy for the duration of the episode and ecstatic for the last 10 minutes.

I want to rewatch it, but time won't permit. 

I may cheat and watch the last 10 minutes.

I can't hope that this gets better.  I can only hope it continues to be this good.

I hope when SeHee find out that JiHo took his book without his permission it doesn't cause a setback in their relationship.

I'm concerned about Ho-Rang.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, penelop3 said:

My thought too. For his dad to be THAT mad at SH, she must not be 'ideal' according to him.

Older and more experience perhaps... more worldly than SH. If that's SH's first love then he must got it bad. 

Oh, whats with the post-it note? :o

1: Live your life as if nothing happened. Don't ever love someone. 

2: Don't ever love someone. You don't have the right to love. 

Are these same note or two different notes? Whatever happened must be really devastating since the message is so negative.  

HR's mother is like any other mothers with traditional views - and there are a lot of them here, even my mother. :D

Perhaps HR is influenced by her mother but perhaps it's really what HR dreamed of. She's the one who wants that life - life wearing black coat and be just like every other wives. Too bad she spent so much time dreaming and not looking at reality. Now I wonder, how much HR actually love WS. Does she love him because of him - the real WS, or because WS represents her dream? :wacko:

So imagine this, if SH is actually a hot blooded mammal with THAT MUCH experience with an experienced older woman, then how experienced is he by now? Hahaha good luck, Yoon Ji Ho. 

Also about JH beginning to dream about finding love in 2005, which is the time SH ended his love... effectively putting respective pauses in their respective love lives until they found each other again in 2017, i think there's a lot of poetry there. I like how both the beginning and resurrection of love in their individual lives is attached to them finding each other. It creates this feeling of continuity about the couple, as if saying that they're going to live with love from this point on because they have finally found each other. I think it matches so poignantly with the horizons of the ocean, like there's a sense of infinity and endlessness combined with uncertainty yet that's fine because they're together and they are travelling this ocean together.  I have never had this much -this kind- of romance reverberating in my nerves for a very long time...

• Like 9

Ep 11 ending was nice but I can't help but feel that the pay-off would have been bigger if we knew more about SH's backstory. Yea, he loved and lost, but what had happened that made SH close up yet JH's words were able to affect him so much. I really hope they start ep 12 with SH's backstory with the understanding that SH is sharing it w/ JH, so that we can enjoy their budding romance more.

• Like 4

Guest mywebfoot
11 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

the writing is so so so soooo good. I love how they handled Se Hee's character best. They never once deviated from his thinking persona, even as he handles love, as he chose to finally go for it, as he strategized how to plant the kiss. I am very invested in this drama. I wonder about how he'll handle the remaining obstacles, most pressing of which, i think, would be if Ji Ho would reconsider writing for dramas again. I think one big factor that aided SH's decision to go for it was because he read JH's dream about being in love, and not writing. It must have given him great confidence that he can actually help her fulfill that dream... that he can make her happy. 

Yeah keeping a character consistent is not easy, particularly if you're also trying hard to make a good story. 

I love how Se Hee has a truly mischievous side, but it comes out so rarely. 

That's a different viewpoint on why he went for it, in order to fulfill JH's dreams. I thought it was only because he finally felt bold enough to try again.  

I would love it if JH could find the courage to write again too, though. Isn't that what the writer's model for this drama is? The final step on Maslow's Hierarchy is creative work, supposedly. After food, warmth, shelter, then esteem will come seeping back... followed by full blown creative generativity. 

I loved this episode, it's one of the best episodes of the show for me. (My fave is still episode 5, the only time I ever ugly-cried while watching a drama. :tongue:) I hope they show the BTS of the kimchi-making scene; it looked like the women were having so much fun bossing Lee Min Ki around. :D

14 hours ago, mapleoaks4 said:

Ok y'all. I am happy about the kiss..... but I don't know how we quite got there. Did SH like JH this whole time? If so, I wish they would have shown us this. What happened from last week to the end of this weeks episode? When did he start liking her? How? When? I guess I don't understand how SH got to this point. Was he just scared of hurting JH this whole time and that's why he was holding back?

I mostly feel the same. I loved that last scene with the kiss (and I'm so happy it wasn't a fake out) but I do feel like they took a bit of a shortcut in making a case for Se Hee's feelings, and it did feel ever so slightly unearned to me. I do hope they elaborate more on Se Hee's feelings in the next episode/s. But I loved the whole feel and look of that scene; I thought it was shot beautifully, and LMK and JSM really sold their performances (though I got a bit distracted with the discontinuity between the wind blowing Ji Ho's hair in the wide shot and then her hair is suddenly still in the close-ups, haha). And I absolutely love that poem they used for the voiceovers, so beautiful.

I also loved having Se Hee and Ji Ho's mom interact again, I like their dynamic. ♥ And good on Ji Ho's brother and sister-in-law for rescuing See Hee from the menfolk. 

I really felt for Ho Rang and Won Seok in this episode. I think one of the most heartbreaking things is the juxtaposition of youthful dreams and the eventual disillusionment.

As for Soo Ji's story this episode...I hope someday we can live in a world where women's bodies' aren't seen or treated as de facto sex objects. #freethenipple

I'm not apprehensive about the ex; I rarely trust drama writers but I trust Yoon Nan Joong so far and I anticipate that she won't turn it into the usual tired drama tropes. Really looking forward to episode 12!

• Like 11

@enigmatic_zephyanother comparison is where se hee said that “so this is how you feel when i asked you why did you came to my parents house. you felt sad”. (Referring to JH’s confession in ep 10; she went to SH’s parents’ house bc she wanted to make the person she likes, happy and comfortable). So SH also feel sad when JH said “why did you said yes to drinking makgoeli, you couldve said no”. SH went to all the trouble in namhae; making kimjang, drink makgoelli, etc bc he wanted the person he likes, happy.

now what i need are:

1. BTS of SH during kimjang making

2. they get married again, just the 2 of them is more than fine, at the kiss scene spot

• Like 10

Guest mywebfoot
6 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

So imagine this, if SH is actually a hot blooded mammal with THAT MUCH experience with an experienced older woman, then how experienced is he by now? Hahaha good luck, Yoon Ji Ho. 

LOL

Here, I'm about to share something I actually misread in the dramabeans forum. You can thank me later. 

Everyone in the forum was raving about Lee Min Ki's microexpressions. 

I read: microsexpressions

Yeah, those images. You're welcome. :D

I think it's time for BokNam to go somewhere. He was a creep, even if he was not a stalker. And now he's saying JH was not his type? Really? He explicitly said he tried to hit on her. WTH? Maybe something wrong with his head. Or maybe the guy is just not good at lying - but man, he just needs to go out of the picture soon.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

As usual the written preview for today in korean : 

Spoiler
깊은 첫 키스 후 새벽차를 타고 집으로 돌아온 지호(정소민)와 세희(이민기)
각자 방으로 향하는 발걸음이 너무나 아쉽고,
지호는 30년 만에 처음으로 느껴보는 뜨거운 '몸의 열망'과 마주하게 되는데...!

호랑(김가은)과 원석(김민석)은 관계에 심각한 균열이 생겼음을 느낀다.
결국 원석이 먼저 허심탄회한 진심을 털어놓는데, 호랑은 하늘이 무너지는 기분이다.
과연 둘은 결혼에 골인할 수 있을까...?

지호와 세희의 첫 데이트. 결혼반지를 생략한 것이 마음에 걸렸던 세희는
지호에게 귀걸이를 선물하고, 화장실에서 설레는 맘으로 귀걸이를 차 보던 와중
묘령의 여인의 도움을 받는 지호. 

'근데 뭐지? 그녀의 숨결과 손길에 떨리는 이 기분은...? 욕구불만이라, 미쳤나...?!'

And the google translation: 

Spoiler

Ji-ho (Jung So-min) and Se-hee (Lee Min-ki) came back home after a deep kiss, Each step toward the room is very unfortunate, Jiho faces the hot 'body aspiration' that I feel for the first time in 30 years ...!   Tiger (Kim Gaeun) and Gimseok (Kim Min-suk) feel a serious crack in the relationship. In the end, the gemstone first reveals the truth that it has come to a conclusion, and the tiger is feeling the sky falling down. Will they both be able to get married?   Jiho and Sehee's first date. Sehee, who had been delighted to have omitted the wedding ring, Ji-ho gave me an earring, and while I was in the bathroom, Jiho who is assisted by a woman of a richard simmons.   'But what is it? This feeling of trembling in her breath and touch ...? I am frustrated, crazy ...?!!

• Like 4

More info and a couple of stills with Lee Chung Ah's character, Go Jun Min, at the link below.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/13/lee-chung-ah-shake-things-first-appearance-first-life/

Spoiler

"Lee Chung Ah will be playing Go Jung Min, the head of a drama production company who is well-respected in her industry. She is a workaholic and has an aura of confidence, talent, and charisma that everyone admires. Yoon Ji Ho (played by Jung So Min) immediately falls for  the charms of Go Jung Min when they first meet and thinks of her as someone to look up to.

What’s interesting is that Go Jung Min also happens to be the ex-girlfriend of Nam Sae Hee (played by Lee Min Ki). The upcoming episode is set to show moments from their time together that may surprise viewers."

So we're getting flashbacks of younger Se Hee? Oooh.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Guys!! So there I am at One in the AM, in my bed, finally watching episode 11. I want to know, is the kiss scene a dream? 

This episode was, is there a way to describe it? I was screaming in my bed and commentating like it was a football match, in the middle of the night!! I took the most number of screenshots I have ever taken in all my drama watching years.....

The last twenty minutes were like the best twenty minutes of KDrama this year.

First, the kiss was not a dream!! Yay!! When JH reads the poetry book and realises what is in SH heart.... The conversation about the poem at the beach... I could go on and on...

From last week, I could see HR and her "entrepreneurial" boyfriend were not going to last..... If you want a relationship heading to marriage, state that early enough so that you don't waste seven years together. I would be angry for all the years I wasted in a relationship that didn't give me what I ultimately need.... I really pity her. She also chose wrongly. If you want marriage, you do not get with a man who has not "made it". Men only marry when they feel ready for the responsibility of commitment. If you push or trap a man before that, you are doomed.

SJ and Chairman's relationship continues to be a weird relationship. He's the clingy one and she's the one who still has her head on straight.... The dynamics are hilarious.

×××× how do I add photos? Photobucket gives me an error. Can I do it from FB?××××

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Helloooo

After a good sleep I wake up with only 1 thought ahah

I have some questions:

1. is the post it in the book by SH or the ex?
  2. is the dedication by SH? Was the book a gift for her, along with the marriage contract?
  3. Is the 2005 marriage contract still inside the book?

And I want to say again that I think this hairstyle is the usual for SH. 

Like his character in ep 11, it wasn't a change but only a revelation for us, viewers.

If you look closer at the old hairstyle you can see how badly it was cut around the ears. It was made on purpose

And when he went to the hairdresser and asked if the coupon was STILL valid, we understand that it was passed a very long time since the last time he did a hair cut

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, mywebfoot said:

Yeah keeping a character consistent is not easy, particularly if you're also trying hard to make a good story. 

I love how Se Hee has a truly mischievous side, but it comes out so rarely. 

That's a different viewpoint on why he went for it, in order to fulfill JH's dreams. I thought it was only because he finally felt bold enough to try again.  

I would love it if JH could find the courage to write again too, though. Isn't that what the writer's model for this drama is? The final step on Maslow's Hierarchy is creative work, supposedly. After food, warmth, shelter, then esteem will come seeping back... followed by full blown creative generativity. 

This mischievous Se Hee side was shown so briefly and yet it comes out so authentic. Props to Lee Min Ki for being able to ground and flesh the character out with an A-game. I'm somewhat sure that JH's writing career will resurface to tie everything up, because it did start there. Except that maybe this time, from a writing job, she'll have a house and husband to come home to and not just a little brother getting it on. 

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that the drama won't go haywire from this point on. The writer has a lot of patience and bravery to have held the peak tightly up to this point. It effectively gave the trajectory of the show a beautiful curve. The arrangement of all of the episodes is really timed well. Each individual episode is also very complete. Everything starts on a solid note then ends on a good one. The whole drama this far has been a wonderful combination of comedy and poetry and the direction captures and further elevates this so poignantly. What's remaining is just an unraveling but I'm pretty confident that this will go well. I think maybe I just need one or two more heart wrenching moments from the main couple, like a truly emotional proposal or something. I want to cry with them in pure happiness and bliss.  Okay I'm rambling going full on fan girl mode. Must. stop.

BTW, it's nice to read you on this forum again. I tend to remember you having good insights though I'm not sure from which dramas I saw you first, or which insights were particularly memorable for that matter. There are a lot of names out here too that are very familiar to me. @stroppyse too and so many others. I'm beginning to develop this qualifying criteria where I'll live watch some thing when you guys are here. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, firt said:

@enigmatic_zephyanother comparison is where se hee said that “so this is how you feel when i asked you why did you came to my parents house. you felt sad”. (Referring to JH’s confession in ep 10; she went to SH’s parents’ house bc she wanted to make the person she likes, happy and comfortable). So SH also feel sad when JH said “why did you said yes to drinking makgoeli, you couldve said no”. SH went to all the trouble in namhae; making kimjang, drink makgoelli, etc bc he wanted the person he likes, happy.

now what i need are:

1. BTS of SH during kimjang making

2. they get married again, just the 2 of them is more than fine, at the kiss scene spot

actually that line only made me realize that he was comparing the situation all along..

so when he asked her if she was worried.. is because that's exactly what he felt.. and he didn't think there could be any other reason for her to come home when she had work at cafe..

like he went to his home after ages even though he never goes..but he was worried about her

Exactly, he went there not because he promised her that he would return the efforts..because then he would have waited for her to send him the date and time. BUT he went there because that was the day she was angry with him.. and he badly wanted to pacify her..make her happy.. she refused his dinner invitation in the bus... so he thought best is to show he means to return the favours..and he appreciates her efforts :tongue:

Thsi episode was all about comparisons.. and what SH went through in ep 10

9 minutes ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

As usual the written preview for today in korean : 

Hide contents
깊은 첫 키스 후 새벽차를 타고 집으로 돌아온 지호(정소민)와 세희(이민기)
각자 방으로 향하는 발걸음이 너무나 아쉽고,
지호는 30년 만에 처음으로 느껴보는 뜨거운 '몸의 열망'과 마주하게 되는데...!

호랑(김가은)과 원석(김민석)은 관계에 심각한 균열이 생겼음을 느낀다.
결국 원석이 먼저 허심탄회한 진심을 털어놓는데, 호랑은 하늘이 무너지는 기분이다.
과연 둘은 결혼에 골인할 수 있을까...?

지호와 세희의 첫 데이트. 결혼반지를 생략한 것이 마음에 걸렸던 세희는
지호에게 귀걸이를 선물하고, 화장실에서 설레는 맘으로 귀걸이를 차 보던 와중
묘령의 여인의 도움을 받는 지호. 

'근데 뭐지? 그녀의 숨결과 손길에 떨리는 이 기분은...? 욕구불만이라, 미쳤나...?!'

And the google translation: 

Hide contents

Ji-ho (Jung So-min) and Se-hee (Lee Min-ki) came back home after a deep kiss, Each step toward the room is very unfortunate, Jiho faces the hot 'body aspiration' that I feel for the first time in 30 years ...!   Tiger (Kim Gaeun) and Gimseok (Kim Min-suk) feel a serious crack in the relationship. In the end, the gemstone first reveals the truth that it has come to a conclusion, and the tiger is feeling the sky falling down. Will they both be able to get married?   Jiho and Sehee's first date. Sehee, who had been delighted to have omitted the wedding ring, Ji-ho gave me an earring, and while I was in the bathroom, Jiho who is assisted by a woman of a richard simmons.   'But what is it? This feeling of trembling in her breath and touch ...? I am frustrated, crazy ...?!!

ha ha because horang stands for tiger ... and korang for cat.. ha ha ah ah a

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Guest mywebfoot
2 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

Except that maybe this time, from a writing job, she'll have a house and husband to come home to and not just a little brother getting it on. 

::: LOOOL. Yes. I suspect there'll be a lot more material to work with!

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that the drama won't go haywire from this point on. The writer has a lot of patience and bravery to have held the peak tightly up to this point. It effectively gave the trajectory of the show a beautiful curve. The arrangement of all of the episodes is really timed well. Each individual episode is also very complete. Everything starts on a solid note then ends on a good one. The whole drama this far has been a wonderful combination of comedy and poetry and the direction captures and further elevates this so poignantly. What's remaining is just an unraveling but I'm pretty confident that this will go well. I think maybe I just need one or two more heart wrenching moments from the main couple, like a truly emotional proposal or something. I want to cry with them in pure happiness and bliss.  Okay I'm rambling going full on fan girl mode. Must. stop.

::: noooo don't stop. Fangirling is what this forum is for. 

2 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

BTW, it's nice to read you on this forum again. I tend to remember you having good insights though I'm not sure from which dramas I saw you first, or which insights were particularly memorable for that matter. There are a lot of names out here too that are very familiar to me. @stroppyse too and so many others. I'm beginning to develop this qualifying criteria where I'll live watch some thing when you guys are here. 

::: Hey, thanks. *blushing* I took a break, basically. But it's good to be back. And yes @stroppyseis one of the invaluable ones. 

18 minutes ago, mywebfoot said:

LOL

Here, I'm about to share something I actually misread in the dramabeans forum. You can thank me later. 

Everyone in the forum was raving about Lee Min Ki's microexpressions. 

I read: microsexpressions

Yeah, those images. You're welcome. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I think Lee Min Ki is intensely attractive in that sensual way, so yeah. I'll somewhat blame Mrs. Robinson for all of this but really. those droopy eyes are really going to bring trouble to Ji Ho's ovaries. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

30 minutes ago, kimnabong said:

Hahaha.. I'd say.. congrats JH! She will have a great teacher! :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3