[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, mistergenie said:

ARGH!!!! So we have to wait until the 29th and 30th to watch the final two episodes?  *violently flips imaginary table*

*Picks up table to be flipped again*  :P

Well.. we could see it this way.. the drama doesn't end too soon on the 22-23/9 weekend. It's unavoidable because on Chuseok, there'll be special festive programs and movies screened on tv. MR.SUNSHINE wasn't affected by the Asian Games before, unlike other dramas, it was not postponed although ratings dropped a bit. So.. this the time to test the 'patience' of viewers.. in the cruelest way possible. :lol:

Credit: kimjihyeon_21

• Like 6

Episode 21 preview on Netflix has English subs differ slightly from the ones subbed by others. In Netflix preview, Eugene asked how far would Ae Shin go in exploiting him? Very heartbreaking to see this. Sigh...:bawling:

Below is the earlier one that I have seen on YouTube. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, mistergenie said:

ARGH!!!! So we have to wait until the 29th and 30th to watch the final two episodes?  *violently flips imaginary table*

As Captain America says Patience is a virtue, but iam not him and nor patience as one of my virtue  ill join in flipping tables with you :D

• LOL 6

58 minutes ago, charray said:

Episode 21 preview on Netflix has English subs differ slightly from the ones subbed by others. In Netflix preview, Eugene asked how far would Ae Shin go in exploiting him? Very heartbreaking to see this. Sigh...:bawling:

That wording is indeed all kinds of heartbreaking. I wonder what her response will be to that question.

Also, even though this is a very high quality promo, I am still unable to understand what's exactly happening in the scene where Ae Shin is being attacked by a bunch of sword wielding men. She is resting her hand on someone as she tries to avoid the blows and the question has been nagging me all week - who is it? Eugene? Dong Mae? Mystery person? Also in that scene, one of the men who comes in last, attacks/pushes away one of the men attacking her. Who is he?

• Like 3

@mistergenie I try not to pay too much attention to the previews after being repeatedly fooled previously :mellow:.. they're either misleading or simply showing sad ending all the way. But what you wrote just reminded me of something.. Ae Shin will reunite with someone from her past, the person who saved her as a baby(?).. or something to that effect. 

Humbly hoping @mistymorning could enlighten us on this. With 4 episodes left, seems like there will be a 'new character' appearing in the drama.

Source: OSEN ++

'미스터션샤인' 지승현, 김태리와 만날까? '동분서주' 미스터리男 활약
2018-09-14 14:15

201809141411770919_5b9b440ed0fd9.jpg

[OSEN=최나영 기자] '미스터 션샤인' 송영과 애기씨는 만날 수 있을까?

Spoiler

tvN 주말드라마 ‘미스터 션샤인’이 종영까지 단 4회 만을 앞둔 가운데, 서로 밀접한 관계로 얽혀있는 송영(지승현 분)과 고애신(김태리 분)의 만남이 과연 성사될 수 있을지에 시청자들의 관심이 쏠리고 있다.

송영은 고애신의 의열단 동료로, 갓난아기인 고애신을 일본의 공격에서 구해낸 것은 물론 조부인 고사홍 손에서 자랄 수 있게 해주는 등 고애신에게는 목숨을 살려 준 생명의 은인. 

특히 극중 송영이라는 인물에 대해서는 자세하게 알려진 바 없으나, 의열단을 이끄는 주 축이자 스토리의 중심에서 중요한 키를 가지고 있는 인물로 부각되고 있다. 

지승현은 KBS 2TV ‘러블리 호러블리’에서도 정체를 알 수 없는 범죄자 사동철 역으로 활약 했으며, 이어 ‘미스터 션샤인’을 통해 또 한번 '미스터리남'으로 동분서주 활약 중이다.

한편, ‘미스터 션샤인’은 신미양요 때 군함에 승선해 미국에 떨어진 한 소년이 미국 군인 신분으로 자신을 버린 조국인 조선으로 돌아와 주둔하며 벌어지는 일을 그린 드라마. 매주 토, 일요일 오후 9시 방송. /nyc@osen.co.kr 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, rubie said:

Humbly hoping @mistymorning could enlighten us on this. With 4 episodes left, seems like there will be a 'new character' appearing in the drama.

Source: OSEN ++

'미스터션샤인' 지승현, 김태리와 만날까? '동분서주' 미스터리男 활약
2018-09-14 14:15

[OSEN=최나영 기자] '미스터 션샤인' 송영과 애기씨는 만날 수 있을까?

Reveal hidden contents

tvN 주말드라마 ‘미스터 션샤인’이 종영까지 단 4회 만을 앞둔 가운데, 서로 밀접한 관계로 얽혀있는 송영(지승현 분)과 고애신(김태리 분)의 만남이 과연 성사될 수 있을지에 시청자들의 관심이 쏠리고 있다.

송영은 고애신의 의열단 동료로, 갓난아기인 고애신을 일본의 공격에서 구해낸 것은 물론 조부인 고사홍 손에서 자랄 수 있게 해주는 등 고애신에게는 목숨을 살려 준 생명의 은인. 

특히 극중 송영이라는 인물에 대해서는 자세하게 알려진 바 없으나, 의열단을 이끄는 주 축이자 스토리의 중심에서 중요한 키를 가지고 있는 인물로 부각되고 있다. 

지승현은 KBS 2TV ‘러블리 호러블리’에서도 정체를 알 수 없는 범죄자 사동철 역으로 활약 했으며, 이어 ‘미스터 션샤인’을 통해 또 한번 '미스터리남'으로 동분서주 활약 중이다.

한편, ‘미스터 션샤인’은 신미양요 때 군함에 승선해 미국에 떨어진 한 소년이 미국 군인 신분으로 자신을 버린 조국인 조선으로 돌아와 주둔하며 벌어지는 일을 그린 드라마. 매주 토, 일요일 오후 9시 방송. /nyc@osen.co.kr 

That actor is for the character RA member Song Young, who's working in Shanghai. We saw him first in Joseon court, discussing fate of Joseon people who were captured by US (from the attack on Gangwha island) in the episode 1(or 2? sorry my failing memory), and then one of 2 friends who came back with baby Aeshin from failed assassination attempt on WI from Japan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

@mistymorning Aha! Thank you so much for the info on SongYeong.

@rubie  So, looks like the mystery person with whom she reunites will be Song Yeong, her father's friend. Last we heard of him, he was set up in Shanghai - so, this means that Ae Shin will successfully reach Shanghai from Japan. I have a feeling though that she won't be able to rescue LJM - he may die in Japan. Most of all, I wonder if Eugene also accompanies her to Shanghai. Or does he help her in Japan and parts ways to go back to America? That would explain why she is probably alone when she is being attacked.

ARGH! At this point, another separation would be just sadistic on the writer's part. Kicking us while we are down.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@mistergenie I think we've seen enough previews and now it's finally Saturday, MR.SUNSHINE Day! We can only hope that those clips shown all week will not be all that we'll see later. Exciting.. yes! Distressing.. not so much! :sweatingbullets: Well, maybe a little. 

Happy mode.. +ve mood.. Happy MR.SUNSHINE Day! mrs.jpg

Caricature by Ruro

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, rubie said:

Well.. we could see it this way.. the drama doesn't end too soon on the 22-23/9 weekend. It's unavoidable because on Chuseok, there'll be special festive programs and movies screened on tv. 

Netflix has the remaining episodes on 9/15+16 and 9/29+30. 

tvN will air a special director cut Chuseok episode "Guns, Glory, Sad Endings" of unaired scenes, previews of E23-24, reviews of E1-22, and highlights on 9/22 9pm.  They also plan to air reruns during Chuseok holidays (9/24-9/26).

On 9/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, SeReNiTy said:

Geographically speaking, it does make more sense for him to travel to SF. However, I think KES, PD, or production team went for the visual route and wanted to showcase the iconic Brooklyn Bridge (construction period: 1869 - 1883), which fits better for the storyline's time period. The Golden Gate Bridge in SF didn't exist until the 1930's, and there would not have been any iconic landmark to show.

Tere was someone in DB who mentioned about the inaccurate portrayal of the bridge here, because it took 14 years to complete and would not look nearly completed when Eugene arrived in 1871. :lol:

The Brooklyn Bridge is gorgeous, and Eugene's silhouette is a bonus! :w00t:

As for the other locations that you've mentioned, I think it's best to treat this drama as a fiction and just enjoy it as is, without having to wrack our brains out. ;)

Actually, Mr Sunshine opens with the Battle of Ganghwa of 1871 when Prince Gojong was underage and the regent was in charge.  The timeline is as follows

1871    Battle of Ganghwa.  The Asiatic squadron warships were stationed in the New York, Boston, Baltimore Navy Yards so it makes sense that they returned to the East Coast passing by Brooklyn bridge.   The warships left Korea to China to guard the region before returning to US.  I think this is when Eugene came along as a 6 year old stowaway as the ships returned to their yards sometimes after this, may not be 1871.

1876    Treaty of Ganghwa. 

1869 - 1883  Brooklyn bridge finished in 1883 but it was several years along when Eugene saw it.  The picture is a little farther along, here's one in 1872.

https://untappedcities.com/2013/05/27/vintage-photos-brooklyn-bridge/construction-brooklyn-bridge-new-york-untapped-cities/

1900-1901?  Eugene came back to Joseon in his late 30s.  The silhouette of the finished bridge behind him is correct.

The production has other issues and inaccuracies but as far as I know, it's not too far off.  Could be wrong with Eugene's date a little.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This drama is so bad for my health, and now they have to prolong the anxiety for another 2 weeks.  At least I am getting 1 weekend back to do the things  I am supposed to do since July :) while waiting for the epic ending (sad ending...not).  Thanks all for your posts. I’ve really enjoyed all your POV and insights. 

I am curious what other dramas do you watch in addition to Mr. Sunshine?  I started 100 day prince but so far it has not really charmed me yet.  I need to distract myself with something else after this week, otherwise I will keep thinking about what-ifs and sad ending. 

Edited by seabysea18
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 9/13/2018 at 5:37 AM, mistergenie said:

At this point, considering the direction of the drama, America ain't happening. It only ever was a futile hope.

The bare optimism that I can scrounge at this point, is holding a teeny tiny bit of  hope for some kind of future for EC/AS in Shanghai. Otherwise, all available signs portend doom(for the character/s) and gloom (for us , the viewers).

I don't know. I think that moment between them by the globe foreshadowed a journey. She said that America is 2-and-a-half handspans away, so it would take a long time to go there and come back. He said it was only one-and-a-half handspans for him, so he could travel more quickly. I think she won't go, but he will, but then he'll quickly return. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rubie said:

*Picks up table to be flipped again*  :P

Well.. we could see it this way.. the drama doesn't end too soon on the 22-23/9 weekend. It's unavoidable because on Chuseok, there'll be special festive programs and movies screened on tv. MR.SUNSHINE wasn't affected by the Asian Games before, unlike other dramas, it was not postponed although ratings dropped a bit. So.. this the time to test the 'patience' of viewers.. in the cruelest way possible. :lol:

Credit: kimjihyeon_21

That would explain why Netflix isn't showing that there are two more episodes at the end. I'm annoyed- the 22nd is my birthday! Guess I'll just have to spend that time rewatching previous episodes...

• Like 1

I have a question about the girl we met in the first or second episodes- the one who told Ae-Shin that she's studying English "for love", which prompted Ae-Shin's whole "let's do love" thing. We've seen her studying with Ae-Shin since then, but there's no mention of what prompted her "for love" comment. I figured it meant that she had a man who was an English speaker, but we've seen no evidence of that. Without her having someone who told her about "love", and thus prompted her to study the language, it seems like a weird and awkward way to get Ae-Shin to talk about love, and to go to the school. Was there anything about her that I missed? It seems like the writers set something up, and then jut dropped it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, burningpotato said:

I don't know. I think that moment between them by the globe foreshadowed a journey. She said that America is 2-and-a-half handspans away, so it would take a long time to go there and come back. He said it was only one-and-a-half handspans for him, so he could travel more quickly. I think she won't go, but he will, but then he'll quickly return. 

I also thought the same. That there is a possibility that Eugene will return to America and return to Joseon again. The only thing is how long is it before he returns and where is Ae Shin in all this? Looks like the last OST to be released is the one below by Hwang Chi Yeul. It had been played twice and both times, it was at a loved one’s funeral. I am dreading the next time this is played. But it is a beautiful song.

37 minutes ago, burningpotato said:

That would explain why Netflix isn't showing that there are two more episodes at the end. I'm annoyed- the 22nd is my birthday! Guess I'll just have to spend that time rewatching previous episodes...

Aigoo, you should just go out and celebrate your birthday that day.

But who am I to say, I think I am worse since I have been staying home and avoided going out on Sat and Sun ever since Mr Sunshine started airing.

3 hours ago, seabysea18 said:

I am curious what other dramas do you watch in addition to Mr. Sunshine?  I started 100 day prince but so far it has not really charmed me yet.  I need to distract myself with something else after this week, otherwise I will keep thinking about what-ifs and sad ending. 

I am only watching Mr Sunshine and nothing else. Being busy in real life and also kinda lost interest in watching dramas these days, I don’t watch much nowadays. Mr Sunshine is special and had caught my interest ever since Kim Eun Seok talked about it last year. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, charray said:

I also thought the same. That there is a possibility that Eugene will return to America and return to Joseon again. The only thing is how long is it before he returns and where is Ae Shin in all this? Looks like the last OST to be released is the one below by Hwang Chi Yeul. It had been played twice and both times, it was at a loved one’s funeral. I am dreading the next time this is played.

Hi sorry to cut your post.  HCY fans are worried too, that his OST has been played during "sending offs" for beautiful souls. Hopefully the next time the song is played, it will be for a scene depicting separation, rather than death.

This clip has Chinese subs for the lyrics:

In the comments section of the video you linked to, a commenter posted Korean lyrics:

누군가 물었소 무얼 그리 찾는지 황량한 이 들판에 찾는이라도 있소 그댄 본 적 있소 세상이 다 밝아진 어떤이의 웃음을 나는 본 적 있소 그 누군가의 마음도 어느 누구의 눈물도 모두 씻어내 줄 아름다운 미소를 알고있소 어찌 그댈 잊으오 어찌 그대를 잊소 매일같이 불어오는 바람마다 당신의 이름이 들려오는데 어찌 잊으오 아아 어찌 잊으오 숨을 쉬는 모든 순간에

Using papago translator :

Someone asked.
What are you looking for?
I'm looking for something in this desolate field.

I've seen him.
bright
I've seen someone smile.

I can't imagine how anyone's mind
No one's tears
I know a beautiful smile to wash all of them off.

How can I forget you?
How can I forget you?
with every wind blowing
I can hear your name.
How can I forget
Oh, I can't forget.
at every breath
I call your name everyday
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1