[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

I thoroughly enjoyed episode 52. 

At the start GTY earns brownie points from grandma Sheng for defending ML. Even earns the blessings of his departed MIL by acknowledging her and making his wife cry happy tears.

A good turn deserves to be balanced in ML' s book of life accounting.

So an impending face off between GTY and grand aunt is sealed with the entry of a concubine in Cheng Garden while exposing the machinations of the late Marquis's widow.

A good day doesn't end witha good night's sleep for faithful GTY.His shenanigans of making ML jealous fails and he quietly makes his way into their bedroom at the crack of dawn.

ML is not an easy nut to crack. Even though unhappy she let's her husband spend the night with a concubine. Matters of the heart can't be forced.If he desires someone ML can never stop it from happening. All she can do is guard her heart from being hurt.

She has fallen for GTY and is trying her best to prepare for an heartache which she thinks is inevitable.

The night ends on a bitter sweet note.

The world for women and men are indeed different.

A man can blow of steam as he pleases. A woman even if cherished still has to mind her p's and q's before indulging in a similar fashion.

Try and try till you succeed is the motto of evil step mother.But villainy isn't an easy job in the Gu household,it is laborious work.The news of GTY shunning the concubine for his wife will bring home the bitter truth along with her morning cup of tea.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed episode 52. 

At the start GTY earns brownie points from grandma Sheng for defending ML. Even earns the blessings of his departed MIL by acknowledging her and making his wife cry happy tears.

A good turn deserves to be balanced in ML' s book of life accounting.

So an impending face off between GTY and grand aunt is sealed with the entry of a concubine in Cheng Garden while exposing the machinations of the late Marquis's widow.

A good day doesn't end witha good night's sleep for faithful GTY.His shenanigans of making ML jealous fails and he quietly makes his way into their bedroom at the crack of dawn.

ML is not an easy nut to crack. Even though unhappy she let's her husband spend the night with a concubine. Matters of the heart can't be forced.If he desires someone ML can never stop it from happening all she can do isguard her heart from being hurt.

She has fallen for GTY and is trying her best to prepare for an heartache which she thinks is inevitable.

The night ends on a bitter sweet note.The world for women and men are indeed different.

A man can blow of steam as he pleases a woman even if cherished still has to mind her p's and q's before indulging in a similar fashion.

Try and try till you succeed is the motto of evil step mother.But villainy is not an easy job in the Gu household,it is a laborious work.The news of GTY shunning the concubine for his wife will bring home the bitter truth along with her morning cup of tea.

I've actually watched that concubine thingy, ML had to accept the girl and also had to not have a reputation of being easily jealous like she said so that's why she made sure GTY stayed with her, GTY understands so he was also forced to stay not that he was playing the game of minds or even trying to make her jealous, but he thought since she didn't get jealous openly, she would get angry when she got back to the room and that's why he asked Xiatao to check on her but when he said nothing like that happened, and they have slept, even though he was also disappointed, he still made sure to go back to her during the night.. So nothing about the concubine was intentional from either's side, they were just trying to flow with the mood but still resolve to each other's side.. What a complicated world they live.. Where they have to go against their hearts.. 

40 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

He fell for her bcoz of caring and compassionate attitudes ml shown towards her daughter. He's really a family man. Ml wittiness, cleverness, fiestiness are all added bonus to him. Like he is winning a jackpot. 

And suddenly his jackpot lacks love. 

Now he's scared that she doesn't love him back. :lol:

A bit off topic but I wanted to discuss a bit about the Emperor, ED and palace politics. So I've read in a previous post that GTY pubically asked for leniency for his GU family on purpose as an elaborate scheme. Do you guys still think that is the case that GTY and the prince are scheming to get rid of the ED's power? For me, I'm a little unsure since ED and GTY's stepmother are both scheming against him but I guess that's the norm for the latter :sweatingbullets: Also, what are anyone's thoughts on the current Emperor? To me, he seems a bit eh, this is coming from the fact that he was refusing to become Emperor even though the previous Emperor was in a precarious situation. Anyways, onto the ED, at first she was fine but as we know, she seems to want to hold onto power. Commenting on her conversation with GTY in much earlier episodes, I think she was mentioning how her husband (the previous Emperor) was generous and benevolent and yet GTY seems to be going back on it (something along these lines...I can't exactly remember but you'll get the gist of it). On this point, I do agree especially watching the scene where the palace maid during the rebellion mentioned how the Emperor didn't say anything when she hadn't done her job of getting the tea. Plus the ED also said that he was forgiving (?) towards the palace servants whenever they made a mistake. However, being a kind Emperor doesn't necessarily make you a good ruler. I say this because he was about to make the heir from the Yong (?) family the Emperor supposedly. Yes, the Yong family had lots of power and connections and we didn't get to see much as of them,  so I can't have quite an accurate grasp of the personality of the Yong heir. However, what I can say is they did abuse power and justice. For example, they had a noble daughter (I don't know her name) kidnapped, raped and made a mockery in the crowds when she was thrown out simply on the basis that the Yong/third princess wants to marry QH. They refused the other family justice in finding the culprit (for obvious reasons) due to their might, connection and power. Furthermore, they held QH's father captive (QH's mother even begged the ED) and threatened QH with ML and her family's disappearance. QH even laughed when he said something along the lines of what has the world/country become with future rulers like this ... ED seems to have ignored/not known this about the Yong family which she has a lot of support from in the current palace politics. If you read this all, thanks it's:D quite rambly and disjointed at times but I find it interesting. 

Omg what's really funny was how when GTY was giving ML the silent treatment and not saying anything at first after that homewarming thingy with QH at ep 54, her anxious face was really wide, that she just wanted to burst and pour out her problems too.. Wow so funny Zhao liying's eyeballs are so big.. I love her innocent but dumb reaction really. Hahhahahhahh

18 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

I've actually watched that concubine thingy, ML had to accept the girl and also had to not have a reputation of being easily jealous like she said so that's why she made sure GTY stayed with her, GTY understands so he was also forced to stay not that he was playing the game of minds or even trying to make her jealous, but he thought since she didn't get jealous openly, she would get angry when she got back to the room and that's why he asked Xiatao to check on her but when he said nothing like that happened, and they have slept, even though he was also disappointed, he still made sure to go back to her during the night.. So nothing about the concubine was intentional from either's side, they were just trying to flow with the mood but still resolve to each other's side.. What a complicated world they live.. Where they have to go against their hearts.. 

He was disappointed that she didn't put up a fight and not accept..If ML wanted she could have.If she had given him the chance he could also manage to not let the concubine enter.But she completly cornered him into the fait accompli.

He had learned in the morning that she pretends being calm in situations because she doesn't care.She cared enough for her mom to break out of that.She didn't do it for him for the concubine incident.

I guess the next episode will shed light on their thought processes when they converse.

Guys my father taught I and my sisters the essence of marriage today and I say I now have a vast view about this marriage thing going on.. My dad said, even though there are some norms in marriage like wife loving husband, wife doing all works, wife being submissive, but he said all these norms doesn't mean a fulfilled marriage, they best thing is taming, while an understanding man is what we all wants, understanding isn't accomplished at once, we have to curb them one by one.. So I think I now understand ML more and I also understand GTY's anxiety to get them to the understanding part quickly.. But it's just that in real life, the woman does what GTY is doing while the men act like ML.. They must know each other's soft core and that's what will make the understanding and communication easier.. Oh he also said giving a woman space is very essential because we women enjoys our freedom and space more than anything.. 

Just thought I should share this here so that maybe we can get each of them thoughts more.. They are both right and they are both doing what they know idls the best way.. Marriage is a matter of two different people from two different culture and family teachings.. So I love this, before I really hate marriage thingy but now I think I want to get married too as marriage is really an interesting school that teaches one better.. 

12 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

He was disappointed that she didn't put up a fight and not accept..If was ML wanted she could have.If she had given him the chance he could also managed to not let the concubine enter.But she completly cornered him into the fait accompli.

He had learned in the morning that she pretends being calm in situations because she doesn't care.She cared enough for her mom to break out of that.She didn't do it for him for the concubine incident.

I guess the next episode will shed light on their thought processes when they converse.

Hmm you are also right though, he has learned in the morning that if she cared enough she will put up a confrontation, so he was expecting her to be that way too if she cared, but we also know as viewers, while he doesn't fully know as a character, that while she cared for her mother a lot, she did things silently and only after years upon years did she do something face to face, when they cornered her, so I think she is also working silently until they actually corner her a lot till she do a face to face confrontation with them too.. Hahhahahhahh.. This is so funny.. Wow ML is the only one I know that will wait and remember everything for years till she is fully ready for a confrontation.. Wow...so expected of her.. Right now I think it all boils down to what the script exposes the characters to, if they are not told to know and understand, then someone from the character has to open it for them and make them understand, but it seems this time we might need the help of Changbai to open the first phase by telling him to talk clearly to her and ML for the second phase of making him understand her by telling him her own Pov about her fears, experiences and the norms they must live with.. It's the counseling period now.. Looks like marriage counseling have started way back in history 

@minglan1 actually, I don't think he failed. ML wasn't happy, but she just refused to show it because she believes it's inevitable anyway. 

I don't really understand what was said between ML and Danju (watched raw) but she didn't look happy. 

As @cherubstomato said, he's playing a dangerous game. 

Basically it would backfire on him. Because she would now believe that GTY's words were all empty, and just like all men, they would sleep with multiple women. So she would guard her heart even more closely. 

That's why I was frustrated. 

Some said she hurt him with her words too, which I don't deny. But she has never promised him anything. He knew she had her past. He knew she didn't love him the way he does. 

She said she will repay him with her life, and everything she did has been to protect him, ensuring his safety and his reputation. 

11 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

He was disappointed that she didn't put up a fight and not accept..If ML wanted she could have.If she had given him the chance he could also manage to not let the concubine enter.But she completly cornered him into the fait accompli.

ML puts up with her facade and CL for yearsss. 

She puts her foot down no because she can. She knows she can stand up against it now and put an end to it. 

With the concubine business, she can throw a fit and get rid of one more now. But it's the 4th attempt, from all directions. From her 1st day with the maid, to the spy maid, to ED, now this. 

It won't stop. How many times can she say no and/or throw tantrum?

Taking in the woman is one thing, for him to decide whether or not to sleep with them, is another....

53 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Hmm you are also right though, he has learned in the morning that if she cared enough she will put up a confrontation, so he was expecting her to be that way too if she cared, but we also know as viewers, while he doesn't fully know as a character, that while she cared for her mother a lot, she did things silently and only after years upon years did she do something face to face, when they cornered her, so I think she is also working silently until they actually corner her a lot till she do a face to face confrontation with them too.. Hahhahahhahh.. This is so funny.. Wow ML is the only one I know that will wait and remember everything for years till she is fully ready for a confrontation.. Wow...so expected of her.. Right now I think it all boils down to what the script exposes the characters to, if they are not told to know and understand, then someone from the character has to open it for them and make them understand, but it seems this time we might need the help of Changbai to open the first phase by telling him to talk clearly to her and ML for the second phase of making him understand her by telling him her own Pov about her fears, experiences and the norms they must live with.. It's the counseling period now.. Looks like marriage counseling have started way back in history 

You are right too.As. a viewer we get a 360 degree view of everything unlike the characters.If they understand  things so quickly how would the story develop it's plots? I liked how they treated this sequence..It had comic elements with GTY huffing and puffing in being sidelined by dear wife. A poignant note of ML and Danju talking about the predicament of wives and concubines. It was balanced well.

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

ML puts up with her facade and CL for yearsss. 

She puts her foot down no because she can. She knows she can stand up against it now and put an end to it. 

With the concubine business, she can throw a fit and get rid of one more now. But it's the 4th attempt, from all directions. From her 1st day with the maid, to the spy maid, to ED, now this. 

It won't stop. How many times can she say no and/or throw tantrum?

Taking in the woman is one thing, for him to decide whether or not to sleep with them, is another....

what you mentioned is also true.

I think of all the options of concubines maybe this ladywas considered the safest in terms of disruptions to their household.

To put a stop to the overzealous attempts at sending concubines something concrete needed to be done,so that this method is deemed unsuccessful.

Hopefully the message will be read that way by the Gu clan and they will give this strategy a break.

Replying to your previous comment-

In absolute terms GTY has not failed but he belives it to be so.If he thought otherwise the facade to torment his wife some more would have continued..He wouldn't  have let her off this easy for putting him in this predicament given his temperamental nature.

8 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

You are right too.As. a viewer we get a 360 degree view of everything unlike the characters.If they understand  things so quickly how would the story develop it's plots? I liked how they treated this sequence..It had comic elements with GTY huffing and puffing in being sidelined by dear wife as well a poignant note of ML and Danju talking about the predicament of wives and concubines. It was balanced well.

I do wonder if the woman ML took in has malicious intent tho. 

What I thought was funny was the woman looked pretty please and smug with herself when GTY said he's spending time with her...only to actually have him sitting there ignoring her completely! :lol:

And everytime she tried to approach him he just stood up, opens the door and talks to Shitou. :lol::lol:

That was awkward...

But I do feel it was very sweet that in the end he still went back to ML's bed and hugged her to sleep...

8 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I do wonder if the woman ML took in has malicious intent tho. 

What I thought was funny was the woman looked pretty please and smug with herself when GTY said he's spending time with her...only to actually have him sitting there ignoring her completely! :lol:

And everytime she tried to approach him he just stood up, opens the door and talks to Shitou. :lol::lol:

That was awkward...

But I do feel it was very sweet that in the end he still went back to ML's bed and hugged her to sleep...

The ending was sweet.:wub:

The maid's segment was hillarious.Even xiaotao and Shitou's conversation was sweet. I love the pair.

The way GTY got mad at ML being busy with eating when he was trying so hard to draw attention was simply..:lol:

DramaPandaC-drama Ratings and Celeb Rankings (week starting Jan 21)

posted by Anne J on January 28, 2019 1 comment

Minglan cdrama Zanilia Zhao Liying
CSM55 Cities + Online

The Story of Minglan hits another high this week as it reaches CSM52 ratings of 1.8%. If my memory serves me right, it's been a long time since a drama has come this close to 2%! It's also been a while to see more than one show above 1% and we've got two more this week as Behind the Scenes reaches 1.1% and Spy Hunter reaches 1.0%. 

Minglan and Spy Hunter are also first and third in the weekly top 10 though it's odd that Behind the Scenes didn't make the cut. The final week ratings for The King of Blaze 2 averages at 0.8% though the show is also missing from the top 10. I Will Never Let You Go continues to do well online as it ranks in second place. 

Candle in the Tomb: The Wrath of Time,Legend of Hao Lan and Exclusive Memoryare the newly-airing web dramas on the list. 

CSM Nationwide

The Story of Minglan also leads nationwide with ratings above 1%. 

TV Ratings 

CSM55 Cities 

CSM 55 Cities

CSM Nationwide

CSM Nationwide

*The above are mostly primetime shows that air at 19:30 while those highlighted in blue air at 22:00. **Rankings are overall rankings across the shows airing on the same night, regardless of air time. *** Reruns are not included. **** Dramas that air on CCTV (the state television broadcaster in China) are not included. ***** CSM55Cities and CSMNationwide are common tv metrics. 

Web Rankings 

Top Dramas (7-Day)  
10. Dang Kou

Top Celebrities (7-Day) 
3. Yang Zi
5. Deng Lun
6. Wang Kai
8. Ariel Lin
10. Yang Mi

17 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

The ending was sweet.:wub:

The maid's segment was hillarious.Even xiaotao and Shitou's conversation was sweet. I love the pair.

The way GTY got mad at ML being busy with eating when he was trying so hard to draw attention was simply..:lol:

Lol.. Ml is a foodie. How can he compete with food??? :joy:

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Also apparently China has banned Palace drama's now.. My Queen Dugu and Zhao Ge better still be able to air, been waiting age's for these and they would make me feel less empty haha.

Broadcast of palace intrigue dramas like Ruyi, Yanxi etc have been halted after the Chinese government media published an article listing 5 major negative effects of such productions, which include:

1. it has become fashionable to idolise the lifestyle of royalty, whereby those who bask in the glory of royalty end up being arrogant

2. The detailed portrayal of palace intrigues will worsen social evolution, which is incompatible with the socialist core values currently advocated by China, and a very real danger

3. Glorifying the era of emperors of ministers, detracting away from the glory of the current regime, the founding fathers of New China, model heroes and outstanding communists

4. Promoting luxury and pleasure, showcasing the extravagant style of the palace, which goes against the country's advocacy of the beautiful tradition of hard work

5. The one-sided pursuit of commercial interests while weakening positive spiritual guidance. Despite the commercial hype and success of such shows, there is no positive significance in cultural development

Original news article here.

will it be banned too if they're aired from web online sites? I worry if it is. I think there're a lot of such banned movie and drama that are aired on online sites instead of tv station.  

First home when I saw he did not sleep with the concubine she was still in the same clothes fully dressed on the bed and he was still in the same spot when he walked out. And second she had to accept the concubine the conditions she had three options she said you either had a concubine that was gifted to you a concubine that was raised or concubine that you know somebody chose and because this was gifted the purpose of this concubine was to cause a fight between husband and wife and he was going to call the fight between the families cuz now he's the head of his family and if he caused a fight between his aunt and any other extended family it would cause more division in the house so she said might as well get it over and done with.

Archived