Premiere Watch: Manhole, Live Up to Your Name

by girlfriday

Live Up to Your Name

premiere_liveuptoyourname.jpg

Time slot: Saturday & Sunday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Fantasy medical rom-com
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Kim Nam-gil. Do we need any other?

This one is all about the fish-out-of-water hijinks, as Kim Nam-gil travels 400 years in time from Joseon to the present and fumbles his way around modern-day Seoul (and ends up looking a bit like a mental patient because of it, hee). He plays real-life historical figure Heo Im, a brilliant acupuncturist, and he’ll butt heads with Kim Ah-joong, a contemporary surgeon. The time-travel element is what keeps this drama from seeming like any other medical drama out there, and from the promo material that’s been released so far, Kim Nam-gil is having a blast with this comedic role.

PD Hong Jong-chan directed the amazing Dear My Friends last year, and writer Kim Eun-hee (not THE Kim Eun-hee of Signal—this one is a different writer) co-wrote Queen’s Classroom. I feel good about the producers and the comic take on the mashup between time-travel, medicine, and romance. But mostly I’m thrilled that Kim Nam-gil is coming back in a sageuk, even if it ends up being for all of five minutes in the premiere.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/08/premiere-watch-manhole-live-up-to-your-name/

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2017] Live Up To Your Name 명불허전 - Kim Nam Gil and Kim Ah Joong | FIRST BROADCAST TODAY, FIGHTING !

The secret lives of a Joseon acupuncturist and a modern-day surgeon

by tipsymocha

liveuptoyourname-teaser8607.jpg

Ha, I have high hopes for this show. We’ve got two new teasers for the upcoming time-slip medical comedy Live Up to Your Name and I can’t wait to see Kim Nam-gil (Pandora) in action as the irreverent, mischievous Heo Im who gets thrown into present-day Seoul. There, he’ll meet Kim Ah-joong’s (Wanted) surgeon character Choi Yeon-kyung, who hilariously mistakes him for a mental patient.

The first teaser isn’t really relevant to the plot at all, but it does give off a cool summer vibe, and I hope that light touch is indicative of the show’s actual tone. Kim Nam-gil and Kim Ah-joong strut their stuff in their medical uniforms, him in his Joseon garb and her wearing a doctor’s coat. They get their model poses on as the show’s title appears in the sky. Kim Nam-gil’s mad cackle at the end is hilarious.

We get a closer look at the two medics as they go about their duties in the second teaser, with Kim Nam-gil sticking needles into his patients with precision and intense concentration, and Kim Ah-joong in the operating room, avoiding spurts of blood. However, once off-duty, our heroine relieves stress by letting it all out on the dance floor, and I love that she can hold her own when she’s approached by a couple of sleazy guys at the club, crotch-grab and all. Our Joseon hero, who should be providing his services for free as a member of the Hyeminseo, has his own nightly escapades moonlighting as an acupuncturist-for-hire and amasses a small fortune catering to the rich and privileged: “How could I ask that you receive treatment in such an undignified place, among lowly commoners? But of course, I should serve you separately, as hardworking officials of the government!”

Heo Im somehow gets caught up in some palace politics when he’s called in to treat the king, and later gets an arrow to the chest. He falls over a bridge and wakes up in a stream right in the middle of downtown Seoul. He’s taken to a hospital in an ambulance with an unconscious Yeon-kyung, and when asked, replies that he is her boyfriend, lol. His line delivery is pretty funny because he’s using sageuk diction but says the modern slang word for “boyfriend.” Also, no wonder he’s taken for a mental patient, given his strange hair-twirling in one scene, and the lion-mane mop he has for hair in the next. “Could you do something about that hair?” Heh.

But comedy and club-hopping aside, they both take their professions and its importance seriously: We see a sick, young girl close her eyes in someone’s arms as Heo Im asks, “Do you know when it is most difficult? When you lose someone you wanted to save.” Yeon-kyung goes, “You better keep that promise, to save them.” The two doctors face each other as Heo Im muses that he has arrived in a world with female medics. Well, you sure aren’t in Kansas Joseon anymore, Dorothy.

Live Up to Your Name will start its run on August 12, in tvN’s Saturday-Sunday slot.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/08/the-secret-lives-of-a-joseon-acupuncturist-and-a-modern-day-surgeon/

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2017] Live Up To Your Name 명불허전 - Kim Nam Gil and Kim Ah Joong | Sat-Sun 9 PM KST

I just saw episode 1.   KNG is a master actor. It is so wonderful seeing him in a drama again. I missed him so much. His facial expressions, his eyes convey so much. For me, there is no other actor quite like him.

I am not sure about who the Dr. Heo character really is. He is an eccentric, brilliant but belittled by the noble class although he seems unconcerned.   He is not a noble himself but earns a living caring for commoners. Somehow he has amassed a huge fortune which he keeps hidden in a shack (doubtful from poor commoners, maybe trade class?).  I am also not sure why he laughs to himself.  There is a mystery about him.  

Spoiler

The wallet of fine acupuncture needles suddenly appears. We don't know how or why but I think it may have something to do with the sick little girl who he leaves to die, at her wish.  

Dr Choi is brilliant, beautiful, but cold.  She is being brushed aside and under rated so that a less accomplished but well connected male doctor can advance at her expense.  She is also tested by a teenage girl, who seems to be playing a game of wits with her, because she saw the beautiful doctor dancing at a night club - and perhaps she is jealous? We don't know yet. 

I am enjoying the drama so far.

That little Joseon girl got to me,

I need to know more about her. 7161.png?w=150&h=150

50 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Somehow he has amassed a huge fortune which he keep hidden in a shack

that because at the night he attend the noble, they pay him more....it is like treat VIPs in modern hospital. 

That new needles set....why he trembling? and seems like HeoJun shocked to see the needles set. He question about it too. 

in the conclusion, i want ep2. 

@maddymappo Hello, nice to see you here again. :wink:

For a first episode, it was good because we got a very good introduction of our main protagonists. Interesting is that the sypnosis describes Dr. Choi YK as cold. Sure, this impression was given when she refused to get hugged by the patient's mother. However, I don't judge her as cold because unlike our doctor Heo Im, Choi Yeon Kyung is not interested in wealth and money. Her mainly goal is to save patients' life which shows how much she cares about patients. On the other hand, I see Heo Im colder than her because he is more ambitious and greedy. He has no problem to abandon his patients for selfish reasons (treating the wealthy ones). The reason he refused to treat the servant's mother was that he had other powerful and wealthy patients to treat. He prioritised them over the poor servant. This showed us how distant and cold he is in the end. His only goal had been to gather money for his treatments. Sure, he must have suffered coming from a lowly condition. But from my point of view, he used the commoners. Since he was treating the commoners and did his work with dilligence and dedication, he could get a good reputation. But the truth is that once people started talking about his skills, these rumours reached the highers-up. I noticed how the little girl got so disappointed, when he left the office after the bell ringing. Heo Im had no qualms to lie to the people who visited Haeminseo. In reality, he wasn't visiting the people who couldn't come to his office. He was on his way to treat rich and powerful people. I believe that's the reason why the little girl refused the treatment from Heo Im. She knew that he was no different from the other doctors. 

On the other hand, YK is so determined to save people's life that she even risks her position. She is bolder than Heo Im. However, her problem is that she blames the acupuncture for her mother's death. I think that she might be missing an important point. MAybe her grandfather knew that noone could save her but he wanted to lessen her suffering. We know that modern medical treatment can not cure sometimes, hence they use drugs (palliative treatment) in order to make it less painful. Yet the person under a palliative treatment is often unconscious or hazy so that it is unbearable to watch. 

So Heo Im's travel to the future is a journey of initiation: to reset his priorities, learn new things about medicine and living up to his name because so far, he isn't. He doesn't deserve his title, he relied too much on his skills without taking care properly of the commoners. In truth, he didn't care for them that much. As for CYK, she needs to stop blaming acupuncture for her mother's death. Sometimes, modern medicine can not save either. 

Archived