[Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

larus

Wow, i have been missing for a few days and now there are lots of theories and speculations about the current and future episodes :blush:

Curiousity is one of the factors that will attract viewers to watch it till the end and I am curious enough about those three in the past.  There are lots of clues and hints given by the drama writer... and I guess we have to list them down in order to understand what is going around and follow the story.. :D

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CatchMine_ID said:

@Yongzura like @Visually-wandering said if I'm not wrong, 'prepare the notes!' Hahaha:ph34r:

btw, the HSJ laptop seems still okay after all HSJ has done, and the way he is typing when he is 'blank', I cringe for that keyboard. The laptop is so strong not a crappy-lappy one hahaha

Guess he bought a new one :blush:.  Something was broken with its screen before... ha ha.

We should watch it again.... and highlight the main point... 

Spoiler

@CatchMine_ID you were mentioning about CITT and SaltNpaper... reminds me of the CD that I just got today, finally. There's something different about K-Indie too..

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

Guess he bought a new one :blush:.  Something was broken with its screen before... ha ha.

We should watch it again.... and highlight the main point... 

Hahahaha maybe he has clone of his lappy or he has sponsor:tongue: for the main points I think it highlighted enough by bebe's post but the theories posted... Really worth to be connected!

Spoiler

yes fufu poor me I just finished to watch CITT recently... Wah, what CD did you buy? I loveee K-Indie, especially something that Tearliner brought up... CITT OSTs are arranged by Tearliner right? And really hwappy to hear Saltnpaper again this fast in an K-drama OST...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CatchMine_ID said:

@Yongzura like @Visually-wandering said if I'm not wrong, 'prepare the notes!' Hahaha:ph34r:

btw, the HSJ laptop seems still okay after all HSJ has done, and the way he is typing when he is 'blank', I cringe for that keyboard. The laptop is so strong not a crappy-lappy one hahaha

he can buy new laptop, my question is, why his laptop is not in sleep mode/battery saving mode after he sleep for hours, his laptop have looooooooong battery life. lols. 

and you should check out saltnpaper Jealousy incarnate ost. If not wrong, CT music director is same with Jealousy incarnate too.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, CatchMine_ID said:

@kentangbakar ohgawd HAHAHA to be a director or the-person-who-responsible-for-set-and-props I guess are so hard lol

and thanks, already checked it =]]

I was hoping he wake up and saw the manuscript, run his finger over the mouse pad at least...hahahahahahaha...well...maybe the laptop did have long battery life, since he didnt turn on wireless, small screen size with "batery saving mode" turn on. yeah. let think positive..hehehehehehehe

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CatchMine_ID said:

I want that heavy duty laptop too.....but I think he got a new one though...poor laptop has to survive banging keyboards, being thrown on the floor and other abuse...

6 hours ago, CatchMine_ID said:

because this said...

I think its possible that Baek Tae-min is the sinful one in the past, since he is writer too, but not yet revealed about his traces in 1930s? I want Tae-min shows up in front of the fortuneteller and wonder about his aura. All his family members (including him) seems like have nice out different inside, especially after the published 'Fate' incident...

Btw, sure Seol hold title the true first fan of Se-joo. She said before when she met Tae-min that she fell only for the first novel, that I think it was 'Fate' whom the original writer was Se-joo, and maybe that was the one she read the scrapped draft in Subway.

Till ep. 4 how Se-joo acts as full of suspicion is understand-able but its getting on my nerves to see him always screaming while holding others neck/body. Oh please director/writer-nim it would be better if he was not so exaggerated like that haha.

And... Do I the one who always think 'from where all the books come really, dang that was really a lot of books in one house' for both Se-joo's and Tae-min's home. Lol  

K-drama's fashion recently scares me a lot, what the heck of price that pieces of clothes has. Oh well, that bookstore-alike-house then quite understand-able for people like Se-joo kkkk

I know she only read a piece of paper at the subway but I was curious why she didn't recognize "Fate" as Se-Joo's first work....

His house is such a dream!!! It makes me wonder what kind of rich people in Korea live like that?! Is that really someone's house? or did they get the books from libraries LOL...has he "read" all those books?

I know I'm always shaking my head at how expensive the clothes are...but I think they get sponsored...are there really people who wear clothes worth that much???!!!!

9 hours ago, bebe1989 said:

I believe, Yoo jin oh appearing again in this life time, because he miss their old times and love his teammate, eventhought we dont know it yet for sure what happen to them in year 1930. I have feeling right when he was deliver himself to Sejoo and Js. As the clock/ watch running again. The actual story begin again. :| because im sure he want to save sejoo from slump with helping him as ghostwriter, and (since he know old story of their life) yoo jin oh possible to help him again, from evil character who planned everything to destroy SeJoo. Like what bangji mom said to sejoo, that he was surrounding with,death,madness, delusion, anxiety, fear, resentment, and obsession. (I think writernim describe evil character who wishing seJoo to dissapeared).

@dramaobsessedAs Yoo said sinful ppl will be reincarnated as writers, i guess he was talking about CEO past life. Since seJoo already writer in year 1930.

But CEO is not a writer right??? so maybe it's either Baek Taemin or his father???

• Like 3

So I just had a thought. What if Se Joo did what Tae Min does with Do Ha, i.e. he gave Do Ha his manuscript to read, and then Do Ha told him that the manuscript is no good, and so Se Joo heads to the coffee shop, trashes the story (which Seol read and loved), and then is surprised when Tae Min's debut novel comes out and it's basically his story? I'm also curious about the reason why of the three of them, it's only Jin Oh that wasn't reincarnated. I know it's all tied to how they all died and why they died, and I'm looking forward to really seeing this drama through to the end.

http://dramaswithdrinx.com/2017/04/17/chicago-typewriter-episode-4/

• Like 4

First time posting here in this thread. This is my new drama crack. 

Contrary to the popular opinion, I am utterly fascinated with the character of Se-joo, mainly because of my profession. I really like Yoo ah in's unabashed portrayal of the writer's process, with all the pain, neurosis, destructive as well as self-destructive urges involved. (This is also why many renowned writers have addiction issues, like Faulkner). I also envy Se-joo in the sense that he has a soul mate like Seol, who appreciates his works not simply because of what he has written but because they share the conviction that words/literature can "heal" and provide hope in this world that has been hard on them. I recall reading somewhere that Jin Soo-won, the scriptwriter of CT, says that this drama is about healing. If episode 1 tells us the tells us that word is as powerful as, or even more powerful than the sword (and hence the title of the drama and Se-joo's novel "kills" indirectly ), the drama also gradually and surely affirms the healing potential of writing

My favorite part of the drama so far is the sequence between Se-joo and Seol as they walk down the alley all the way to Subway, and to the running away from paparazzi.  The dialogue is wittily written and brilliantly acted by these two capable actors. The sequence flows flawlessly together, much more like a scene in the art house film (like Hong Sang Soo) than in a Kdrama. It begins with parodies and self-references to the romantic clichés popularized by internet fictions (and by Kdramas), to the heartfelt conversation on the purpose of writing and reading. Ten years ago, Se-Joo was like a wounded little animal cornering himself literally in the corner of Subway shop and metaphorically in the pain of betrayal, hoping that he can write his way out of the cruelties of life. Seol, then a vet wannabe, reaches out to Se-joo like she tends her animals. Their body gestures also signify as such, with Se-joo cowering backward with his backpack as his shield, while Seol leaning forward. But as they converse on and find their shared love for reading, Se-joo, albeit shy and diffident, cracks a beaming smile. In a stark contrast, ten years later, Se-joo has fame and wealth he craved for in the past, but his face is literally a ghost, buried and hidden under the cap. The cut to the typewriter connotes all the painful memories: his work being stolen and making him a ghostwriter himself, his writer’s block at present, the betrayal of his surrogate family.

And yet, I am convinced that Seol still holds the key to Se-jo's healing. Ten years ago, it is Seol who disarms Se-jo and manages to crack a smile from him. Ten years later, it is also only in front of Seol that Se-jo feels comfortable showing different facets of himself,  his jealousy, insecurity, tantrums and tenderness included. (Again, Se-jo even comments on how Se-jo's unexpected turn of mood will not be popular among readers--another instance of the drama's self-reference. The writer of CT is well aware of the fact Se-jo is a character difficult to like ).

Sorry for my long post. I just want to show my appreciation and excitement of how finally a Korean drama knows how to craft an OTP by letting them have a heart-to-heart, intelligent conversation from the get go. I love the fact that they are put on an equal ground since they provide healing to each other. Their relationship is so much more than that of a maniac fan and a writer she idolizes—Tvn’s misleading promotion is to be blamed. It is a relationship between a reader and a writer, between two people who find redemption and each other through words.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

Yeah, I hope next episode we can see less shouting from Sejoo, OR maybe the was angry towards YJO is someting related to their past? Like he unintentionally angry at YJO. It is his past life that was angry at YJO?. Heh......I dont know~~~~

Owh, thank you about the Red Beans purpose. Thought to ward off bad spirit is using salt only. =)

I also think YJO have unfinished business with these two, he want to make amend with the two. MAybe because of him, these two cant continue their love life during 1930. Hence he want to help them in this life. 

I can see the bitter sweet ending for YJO already. Shall I buy stocks of boxes tissue in advance? HAHAHAHAHA.

I like JYO-HSJ conversation. Hehehehe, YJO really challenge HSJ intelligence. Heeee. Everytime he checked his room to see if YJO is there or not, the give the "look" at Eugene O'Neill portrait is just, HAHAHAHAHA. 

Im very curious of their relationship in 1930. In character description, it said that YJO is a genius writer. When? since 1930? Where did he write in 1930? For which publication?

In 2017 BangJin mom said about something evil, there are two but dont know which one.

Here my question. Is getting throw by red beans is that hurts? cause HSJ sound like he is VERY hurts. Im near to test myself, but I cant, I will got spanking from my mom instead. =P.

More than sure Mom was talking about Yoo as the "evil" one...She also sensed it when Seol came back from delivering the typewriter that day...Now i'm curious if he trully is evil...From what i understood he looked like a gangster in his past life and maybe involved in the activist thing against Japan along Seol back then,they were dealing with guns...He didn't seem like a writer at all,maybe he got a special power from the typewriter inself,as he kinda became one...Even he said he was part of the underworld...He is a dude who mixes truth with lies,quite a lot my guess are true yet it can be mistaken as for the other party might not make sense at all just yet...

Based on his description as well it says he will help Se Joo with his script if he torns apart Seol and Taemin and that's who Se Joo starts loving her...Now i'm quite curious if Seol and Se Joo were lovers in their past lives or just liked each other without confessing with all the things happening,being such a turbulent era...

I think he might feel slight pain by the force the beans were thrown and in the face(and well a drama exaggerates),for a normal human the beans are just beans,they affect only spirits...I think Yoo can make himself visible to others if he trully wishes and that's why Bang Jin saw him,now we have to see what is his reason,is it to use her to get close to Seol or what....

Might be minority but seeing Se Joo character and hinting clearly at his past and how he was quite backstabbed even if we don't like it i can understand why he is so angry and has trusting issues,also from others perspective Yoo is quite the suspicious man...Imagine finding out in your home a stranger that keeps lying,enters your house,find out he sleeps there and does the things he does...I would call the police in the next minute,along being angry at his blabbering clearly not understanding his motivation or if he wants to harm him...Yet as a viewer having the full view their banter is sooo hilarious as it's out of this world...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dramaobsessed said:

I know she only read a piece of paper at the subway but I was curious why she didn't recognize "Fate" as Se-Joo's first work....

His house is such a dream!!! It makes me wonder what kind of rich people in Korea live like that?! Is that really someone's house? or did they get the books from libraries LOL...has he "read" all those books?

I know I'm always shaking my head at how expensive the clothes are...but I think they get sponsored...are there really people who wear clothes worth that much???!!!!

published version was revised much? Hahah. But no strong evidence that he was write Fate in Subway, just tie hints that HSJ live was like hell back 10 years ago and that backstabbing incident by the father.

Lol I think he is the reader + collector one. Dang his house is fantastic inside, and btw just give me those deers instead, too cute.

Many celebrities living through that lifestyle, and they are not my role model then hhhh. Scary, it turns people for craving something like that too.

6 hours ago, ohani said:

Sorry for my long post. I just want to show my appreciation and excitement of how finally a Korean drama knows how to craft an OTP by letting them have a heart-to-heart, intelligent conversation from the get go. I love the fact that they are put on an equal ground since they provide healing to each other.

I love your long post. Heheheh. Love about Seol approach him like a pet, as a vet wannabe, and this is the story about writer and reader not an idolized one and a maniac. The convos of them interesting enough cause Se-joo is the 'trusting issues' one and Seol is the open one, she is so honest but at same time she doesn't take much time into people perspective to her. as long she is not lying. Especially the 1930s convos, she is badass. Love to see more.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ohani said:

First time posting here in this thread. This is my new drama crack. 

Contrary to the popular opinion, I am utterly fascinated with the character of Se-joo, mainly because of my profession. I really like Yoo ah in's unabashed portrayal of the writer's process, with all the pain, neurosis, destructive as well as self-destructive urges involved. (This is also why many renowned writers have addiction issues, like Faulkner). I also envy Se-joo in the sense that he has a soul mate like Seol, who appreciates his works not simply because of what he has written but because they share the conviction that words/literature can "heal" and provide hope in this world that has been hard on them. I recall reading somewhere that Jin Soo-won, the scriptwriter of CT, says that this drama is about healing. If episode 1 tells us the tells us that word is as powerful as, or even more powerful than the sword (and hence the title of the drama and Se-joo's novel "kills" indirectly ), the drama also gradually and surely affirms the healing potential of writing

My favorite part of the drama so far is the sequence between Se-joo and Seol as they walk down the alley all the way to Subway, and to the running away from paparazzi.  The dialogue is wittily written and brilliantly acted by these two capable actors. The sequence flows flawlessly together, much more like a scene in the art house film (like Hong Sang Soo) than in a Kdrama. It begins with parodies and self-references to the romantic clichés popularized by internet fictions (and by Kdramas), to the heartfelt conversation on the purpose of writing and reading. Ten years ago, Se-Joo was like a wounded little animal cornering himself literally in the corner of Subway shop and metaphorically in the pain of betrayal, hoping that he can write his way out of the cruelties of life. Seol, then a vet wannabe, reaches out to Se-joo like she tends her animals. Their body gestures also signify as such, with Se-joo cowering backward with his backpack as his shield, while Seol leaning forward. But as they converse on and find their shared love for reading, Se-joo, albeit shy and diffident, cracks a beaming smile. In a stark contrast, ten years later, Se-joo has fame and wealth he craved for in the past, but his face is literally a ghost, buried and hidden under the cap. The cut to the typewriter connotes all the painful memories: his work being stolen and making him a ghostwriter himself, his writer’s block at present, the betrayal of his surrogate family.

And yet, I am convinced that Seol still holds the key to Se-jo's healing. Ten years ago, it is Seol who disarms Se-jo and manages to crack a smile from him. Ten years later, it is also only in front of Seol that Se-jo feels comfortable showing different facets of himself,  his jealousy, insecurity, tantrums and tenderness included. (Again, Se-jo even comments on how Se-jo's unexpected turn of mood will not be popular among readers--another instance of the drama's self-reference. The writer of CT is well aware of the fact Se-jo is a character difficult to like ).

Sorry for my long post. I just want to show my appreciation and excitement of how finally a Korean drama knows how to craft an OTP by letting them have a heart-to-heart, intelligent conversation from the get go. I love the fact that they are put on an equal ground since they provide healing to each other. Their relationship is so much more than that of a maniac fan and a writer she idolizes—Tvn’s misleading promotion is to be blamed. It is a relationship between a reader and a writer, between two people who find redemption and each other through words.

This is good! I like how you say this: a relationship between a reader and writer, between two people who find redemption and each other. I suppose one can also replace the word redemption with the word 'healing'- an idea you also put forth.

I think there could be another double-take on the phrase 'first fan'. Other than the literal, it could also a reference to a fan after his own heart. People who love words often reads and connects with others through them. The fact that she was able to pinpoint the authors and quotes (at their conversation at the subway), meant that they have similar taste in books and hence thinking? At first glance, people would assume that Seol is maniac fan because he was good-looking, popular etc but as the strong unfolds, she really rooted for him due to his dedication and talent. The fact, she likes Fate which she thought was written by Taemin, demonstrated that she does like SJ for his talents. 

I love your analogy of a wounded animal and a caring vet. Episode 2 laid this out quite skillfully - the scene where Seol rescued SJ and did first aid on him. Now that you said, it is resembled - a rescue of an injured animal since SJ was mentally unstable? Now, I also see the reason for Seol's character to have the expertise of a vet. Isn't it also interesting how that both Yoo and Taemin saw her in her vet robes but SJ, the 'real' patient did not.  To me, there seem to be a subtle mirroring between a 2017 vet vs 1930 freedom activist?  Both largely save lives but, at times - need to kill too. Her adverse feelings towards killing also seem to suggest that her past regrets were brought forward with her glimpse of the past?
I would also like SJ's paranoid and aggressive personality as he had not yet been healed. Like a wounded animal, he is trying to put up a defence.

I'm a little nervous about the 'heart-to-heart' talk so early into the episode...sounds like there will be all kinds of crazy opposition for their love (i think?).

The writer of this script is indeed complex but it makes discussion so much more interesting.

• Like 8

For some reasons YooJinHO keeps appearing to the presence I think it about HanSeJoo what is he going through and his dreams about 1930s but one thing was YooJinHo a writer back then how can he write so well ? as for HanSeJoo I understand is tense can not trust anyone easily annoyed like the friend of JeonSeol asking him to sign two more autographs the more it has being reveled about HanSeJoo the more we get to understand about him what could have happen to him with Baek family and he feel betrayed like in t he first EP the conversation with BaekTaeMin “he once considered likeving with his family as the present”and taemin is sorry that things have turned this way ,and sejoo fires back “Does it make you different to talk like that  ”could that be involving writing of his motherconfused-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862,More I love about the female lead is her name which means Legend the fashion of GoKyungpyo really suits him OMG love it and YooAhIn hair cut is jjangadmire2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624

Chicago01-00832.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, gongi said:

I just want to show my appreciation and excitement of how finally a Korean drama knows how to craft an OTP by letting them have a heart-to-heart, intelligent conversation from the get go. I love the fact that they are put on an equal ground since they provide healing to each other. Their relationship is so much more than that of a maniac fan and a writer she idolizes—Tvn’s misleading promotion is to be blamed. It is a relationship between a reader and a writer, between two people who find redemption and each other through words.

I totally agree chingu, you wrote this beautifully! 

I think this is going to become my new favourite drama of all time, along with Signal. 

Everything about the drama is exquisite. Music, cinematography, script, cast, acting, directing, editing. The mysterious vibe from YooJinOg is thrilling!! There are many theories out there, that he could be SeJoo

's ghost from his previous life, or the ghost of the typewriter, etc...I really can't wait to find out but I hope it takes some time to make it even more exciting. 

The drama is also a genius campaign for reading!

• Like 5

Hi i'm newcomer in this thread and thanks to everyone in this thread for your insightful posts

i was intrigued from the beginning because this drama talk about writer and book and yes its getting interesting, i'm still on SJ Father didn't see Yoo but what he's talking to SJ is the fate first draft but we will see later haha. I also love the conversation between SJ and YS, like @ohanialready mentioned that their convo is intelligent and well written and also heart touching. So far I love our main character Se Ju, Yeon Seol, and i just call him "Yoo" :D they are interesting characters, hope their ratings will increase and btw GKP was so cute when hiding under the table haha

• Like 5