[Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

larus

@kentangbakar aigoo... Thank you so much @dramaobsessed yesssssss can't wait the next so much hhhhh the 'Satellite' keeps dominating my head and now I start searchin' about YAI kkkkkkk.

@supergal99 this taking process looks so fun ugh 1930s... Too good... Those kind of moments makes me wanna to be a part of amazing filiming crew someday. Hope that will be a way duh a far awaaaaay hope but lets see, just wishing :))

• Like 6

thank you for welcoming me.

23 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

Do you know that, GKP also once out to public with Bewhy-like-hair? BONUS, he take picture with YAI and stand perfectly next to him!. Wow. What a fate. They are meant to be tgt in the same project.Hehehehehe.

i have a feeling that Bewhy might be in line for the soundtrack. that'll be awesome. haha.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Amber Byul said:

thank you for welcoming me.

i have a feeling that Bewhy might be in line for the soundtrack. that'll be awesome. haha.

That will be REALLY awesome. Hehehehe. Imagine he rap and sound like a typewriter n chicago typewriter gun. Hehehehe

• Like 4

I'm enjoying the two episodes so far, and I think this drama deserves much more love! Here are some of my thoughts and findings thus far.

The ghost of a ghostwriter

I belong to the clan that believes Yoo Jin Oh is a ghost from 1930s because in Ian Fleming’s Goldfinger, he wrote, “Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is an enemy action.”

1. His fashion and hairstyle remained the same since 1930s

2. As @kentangbakar mentioned, he has only one name - Yoo Jin Oh - whereas Han Se Joo was called Seo Hwi Young and Jeon Seol was Yoo Soo Yeon in their past lives. Having the same last name also implied that Yoo Jin Oh and Yoo Soo Yeon were probably blood-related.

3. YJO was called “유령작가”, which means ghostwriter. Just like the English equivalent, the Korean term is made up of two words: “유령” (yulyeong/幽靈/ghost) and “작가” (jagga/作家/author). Hence, 유령작가 could be a word pun to suggest that the ghostwriter in question is also in fact a real ghost.

33610827320_b09fbdb517_o.png

유즈들은 유령이라서 때론 초대받지 않은 곳에 나타나곤 한다 – 스티븐 킹
The muses are ghosts, and sometimes they come uninvited. – Stephen King

The various meanings of “Chicago Typewriter”

Jin Soo Wan writer-nim seems to love using puns. There are two meanings to “Chicago Typewriter” as explained in the drama.

1. A typewriter from Chicago

The obvious explanation is that this typewriter was found in a cafe in Chicago. The cafe owner said it was handcrafted in Gyeongsang, but historically, that is highly unlikely. Because the Hangul typewriter was actually invented in Chicago.

The oldest Hangul typewriter was invented by Song Ki Joo in 1926 when he was studying at the University of Chicago. In 1933, he entered an agreement with The Underwood Typewriter Company in New York to manufacture this 4-set typewriter. It is now being displayed at the National Hangeul Museum.

2. Thompson submachine gun

Soo Yeon: Do you know what this gun’s nickname is?
Hwi Young: I don’t know. What is it?
Soo Yeon: Because its gunshot is similar to a typewriter sound, it got the nickname “Chicago Typewriter”.

The Thompson submachine gun was popular among Chicago gangsters and police alike in the Prohibition era (1920-30s). It became widely used later on by the Allied troops during WWII (1939-1945).

33152655484_c470af033f_o.png

In the opening sequence, the typewriter is likened to a machine gun that uses the Korean alphabet as bullets. It is especially poignant in the context of Korea under the Japanese rule. Leftist writers who believed literature should serve the cause of class liberation founded the Korean Artists Proletarian Federation (KAPF), which was eventually forced out of existence by the Japanese in 1935.

Soo Yeon: A pen is stronger than a knife. A typewriter is stronger than a gun.
Hwi Young: So?
Soo Yeon: You should write something good. Don’t write to gain fame and women. Write something magnificent.

The power of the written word was demonstrated by the stalker fan who built a gun and murdered his coworkers after reading SJ’s novel. In the same way, SJ’s life as a writer was killed by the stalker’s suicide letter, which led him to contemplate suicide. A murder novel begot a murder, a suicide letter begot a suicide – such is the power of the written word.

Stalker fan: Because of you, my life came to an end. Your novel and your writing have gotten me killed already… You should feel the same. Why don’t you taste death with my writing?

Something interesting to ponder about: Soo Yeon herself said that the typewriter is stronger than a gun. But later, she would need to decide whether to shoot a writer with a gun. How ironic is that? My gut feeling tells me she won’t shoot.

Also interesting is the repeated reference to Stephen King’s Misery in ep 2. Wiki summarises the novel’s plot as such: The novel focuses on Paul Sheldon, a writer famous for Victorian-era romance novels involving the character of Misery Chastain. One day he is rescued from a car crash by crazed fan Annie Wilkes, who transports him to her house and, once finding out what he has done to Misery in his latest book, forces him to write a new book modifying the story – no matter what it takes...

33610410380_30a2e2e697_o.png

Seol: I can’t believe I’m reading your rough draft. I’m so thrilled.
Se Joo: Don’t say things like that. It creeps me out because it reminds me of “Misery”.
Seol: Oh right. There’s this line in “Misery”. “The only people who can read my manuscripts are my editor, my legal representative, and the one who saved my life.”

• Like 16

@__jesse yaaaassssh thank you so much you just already answered my question from lazy finger that did not do some searching about that with that post above. Awesome, I believe more that this drama sure promising, go show!:wub: 

I curious more about 'Chicago Writer' concept and wow. That hangul typewriter fact... And the gun... Hahaha I just know Chicago Typewriter as weapon (a gun) in Resident Evil :))  also about the 'Misery' that he keeps saying since I'm so dark about books... Thank you for share, I love the feelings of 'understand more and deeper'. These kind of dramas sure give more feels of satisfaction.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

TvN release summary for Ep 1 n 2

Im sooooooooooooooooooo in love with the music start at 0.56. The grand piano sound, the solo violin. sighhhhh

When it will be  

aired what time

Edited by Chellsee
Please do not quote videos.
  • Like 2

YOO AH IN FILMING TODAY, THE DOLL SO CUTE !!!  (he look so tired, please take care your health baby) -credit uno

IMG_1990.jpg

VIDEO SPOILER Ah in #chicagotypewriter shooting FROM FAN:

Spoiler

MORE FAN TAKEN PHOTO FROM SHOOTING TODAY, YOO AH IN WITH LIM SOO JUNG:

Spoiler

IMG_199174b35.jpg
IMG_199247a02.jpg
IMG_1993.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_19957c8a5.jpg
IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997998da.jpg
IMG_1998.jpg
IMG_1999e76ed.jpg

IG FAN TAKEN:

Spoiler

There is 4 photo, just slide to left

HE SMILE, when she look so happy..

IMG_19340ffbc.jpg

BEAUTIFUL MOMENT LOOKING HER SMILE AT MOONLIGHT ❤

IMG_19339e390.jpg

More photo under spoiler:

Spoiler

IMG_193252653.jpg

Screencap by halffull

CUTE UNIQUE GLASS ANTIQ, sponsored by:

Spoiler

Slide picture there is 3pic on one post

YOO AH IN FASHION, check my spoiler:

Spoiler

LIM SOO JUNG FASHION, check spoiler:

Spoiler

@dramaobsessed sorry for tagging u here lol. Since u searching for recommended drama,check my spoiler:

Spoiler

I write all my favorite drama on my profile "about me" u can check it there. Drama from year 2000. :tongue: (I love all genre, everything that i wrote there was from my favorite rewatch)

• Like 10

On 11/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, dramaobsessed said:

I'm currently watching Secret Love Affair...actually I started watching randomly because of Kim Hee Ae....Yoo Ah In's acting in that is just superb, I'm surprised why I've never watched any of his dramas before :wub: 

One of my fav dramas. It's an almost 10 from me. The subject is taboo, many hard issues they deal with but the acting & script is a class above a lot of dramas. Not the usual k dramas. No dramas tropes. I'm not even a classical music fan but yet I enjoyed watching YAI play the piano 

@__jesse thank you so much for all that insight...very intriguing!!!! I learnt a whole lot of new stuff today esp concerning the Hangul typewriter and Stephen King's "Misery"...this is going to be an intelligent drama!!

@supergal99 thank you for the BTS of them dancing, love it!!! one of my favorite scenes so far....looks like they're having so much fun

@furansizuka thank you, for even more intriguing facts!!! this writer, director, producer are really paying attention to detail...

@triplem I'm gonnna respond to you in the spoiler because my answer is not related to this drama check below:

Spoiler

I actually started watching it out of curiosity, I wanted to see how they were gonna approach the taboo subject and as you know from my comments in the RO thread, noona romances are not my thing....and the age difference of this was just way too huge, so I was curious...but they made it really tasteful and I ended up falling in love with the drama and the characters...I agree with you I give it a close to ten as well...and like you, I'm not even a classical music fan....

at the end of the day regardless of age, we all need a genuine connection and love and if you happen to find that spark with someone...it's hard not to go there... I'm actually looking for other similar drama recommendations....not sure what to call that genre...something RAW which deals with romance that is close to what happens in real life....no fairytale or fantasy....just raw, messy, real people, struggling with life and love...mature stories....do you have any recommendations?

• Like 7

@dramaobsessed

Spoiler

At the top of my head is Plus Nine Boys. It is a very sweet slice of life kind of drama.  I also liked It's Ok, That's Love.  I was recommended Marriage Not Dating but I have yet to find time to watch. I'll let you know if I can think of anymore.

15 minutes ago, triplem said:

@dramaobsessed

Hide contents

At the top of my head is Plus Nine Boys. It is a very sweet slice of life kind of drama.  I also liked It's Ok, That's Love.  I was recommended Marriage Not Dating but I have yet to find time to watch. I'll let you know if I can think of anymore.

@triplem

Spoiler

thank you for the recommendation...I've seen "It's ok, That's love"!!! Loved it!!! Jo In Sung is my other Bae, I hope he comes back to dramaland soon...I also loved, "what happened in bali" and "That Winter, the wind blows"..."Marriage not dating" was lotsa fun, great comedy!!! you should definitely watch when you find time....

gonna add Plus nine boys to my long list of to watch lol, looks interesting, seeing so many familiar faces....

• Like 2