[Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

larus

The Persistence of Memory

Furbabe from SikSeekLand shared an interesting write-up on Salvador Dali’s melting clock. Here’s my own interpretation of the artwork’s relevance to the drama.

33329408713_c584c736c9_o.jpg

In this famous 1931 painting, we see pocket watches melting away under the sun in a desolate and barren landscape. The orange clock at the bottom left is covered with ants, which symbolise decay. This impermanent nature of time and life seems to contradict the artwork’s title, “The Persistence of Memory”. How can memory withstand the test of time and - in Chicago Typewriter’s context - reincarnation? For this, I’d like to suggest that while memories may appear to have faded from our consciousness, they are merely being transferred to a backup hard disk called the unconscious mind.

Salvador Dali was heavily influenced by surrealism, and notably Sigmund Freud’s writings on psychology. According to Freud, the unconscious mind stores all of our forgotten or repressed memories and past experiences, which influence and form our behaviours, habits and beliefs. In the same way, even though Se Joo and Seol have reincarnated, the memories of their past lives remain in their unconscious and continue to affect their thoughts, feelings and actions in their present lives.

Surrealists like Dali are fascinated with dreams because they provide clues on how the unconscious mind works. Freud described dreams as “the royal road to the unconscious” as it is in dreams that the ego's defenses are lowered so that repressed memories may surface. In order to tap into his unconscious, Salvador Dali self-induced hallucinations in a process he called the paranoiac-critical method.

In Provenance is Everything, Bernard Ewell described how Dali worked:

“Sitting in the warm sun after a full lunch and feeling somewhat somnolent, Dali would place a metal mixing bowl in his lap and hold a large spoon loosely in his hands which he folded over his chest. As he fell asleep and relaxed, the spoon would fall from his grasp into the bowl and wake him up. He would reset the arrangement continuously and thus float along - not quite asleep and not quite awake - while his imagination would churn out the images that we find so fascinating, evocative, and inexplicable when they appear in his work.”

Dali floats in and out of sleep to conjure dream imagery from his unconscious. In the same way, Se Joo’s dreams and hallucinations tap into his unconscious, take him back to 1930 and unlock the secrets of his past life.

Note: There is a slight difference between the terms “subconscious” and “unconscious”. The subconscious, which Freud referred to as the preconscious, refers to the part of our minds that store memories which may be retrieved by choice at any time. Memories in the unconscious mind, however, cannot be retrieved by choice.

Parallels between 1930 and 2017

Maybe it’s fate. Or maybe it’s the unconscious mind at work. But for some reason, we often see history repeating itself in 2017...

Hwi Young crashed his bike; Se Joo crashed his car.

Spoiler

34099641336_99f2ee42b6_o.png

Hwi Young broke his arm and Soo Yeon became his typist; Se Joo broke his arm and Seol became his typist.

Spoiler

34099641536_01e097f183_o.png

Twice, they dropped the pocket watch when running for their lives. It was a keepsake from Hwi Young’s dad, then it became a keepsake from Seol’s dad.

Spoiler

34099641196_8f5f26c3e6_o.png

Lastly, Soo Yeon wanted to save her country but had to kill people; Seol wanted to save animals but ended up killing more.

Sejoo: By any chance, did you just get a strange feeling too?
Seol: Wait, you too?
Sejoo: It felt as if time and space were collapsing.

Not only did the past and present overlap, the present also served as a continuation of the past. The pocket watch stopped moving, presumably when Hwi Young died, and continued to tick when it reunited with Se Joo. This implied that the unfinished business of 1930 will need to be resolved in 2017.

In 1930, Hwi Young was a romance writer. But in 2017, Se Joo “abhors dating” and only writes thriller novels. It suggests that he was betrayed by his loved one.

In 1930, Soo Yeon was a gunman. But in 2017, Seol couldn’t hold a gun without thinking that she had killed someone before. Could it be that the person she killed was Hwi Young?

Sejoo: The garden looks too dreary. Should we raise a deer?

Besides Eugene O’Neill, the other portraits in Se Joo’s room are of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway and James Joyce, all of whom were influential writers in the 1930s. So it got me wondering if the deer head trophy hanging on the wall represents Hwi Young, suggesting that he had been hunted down. If Soo Yeon were the hunter, then it would explain why she unconsciously aspired to become a vet in her next life. And the “animal” she saved, was none other than Se Joo.

34099641796_d1a354b0eb_o.png

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, __jesse said:

The Persistence of Memory

Furbabe from SikSeekLand shared an interesting write-up on Salvador Dali’s melting clock. Here’s my own interpretation of the artwork’s relevance to the drama.

*clap clap clap* love it, loveeeee the explanation about parallels-Persistence of Memory. I also presume that it will be 'still continue' but reversed from their past life with all those hints that seems this show keep focusing us; why Seol stopped to be vet, gun thing, his writing theme, etc etc, really love your post.

But didn't think that the deer might become a clue too...

32 minutes ago, __jesse said:

So it got me wondering if the deer head trophy hanging on the wall represents Hwi Young, suggesting that he had been hunted down. If Soo Yeon were the hunter, then it would explain why she unconsciously aspired to become a vet in her next life. And the “animal” she saved, was none other than Se Joo.

This open my mind but kinda little disturbing when it comes to animal --> Se-joo (pet, etc) but at the same time I'm adoring that possible theory too. I'm too much contradicting then hahaha

• Like 5

Go Kyung Pyo Shares Real Reason Why He Joined tvN’s “Chicago Typewriter”

Go-Kyung-Pyo-Grazia-e1492689817522.png

Go Kyung Pyo was recently interviewed by Grazia magazine for the May Issue, where he revealed the surprising reason of why he took the role of a mysterious ghostwriter in tvN’s “Chicago Typewriter.”

The actor admitted that a big factor in his decision to participate in “Chicago Typewriter” was because of Yoo Ah In and Im Soo Jung. He said, “In all honestly, after I heard that Yoo Ah In was taking the lead role, I told my company that I wanted to do whatever it takes to be a part of the cast. Also, I heard talks that Im Soo Jung was also joining the cast after 13 years of being off the small screen. I eagerly waited to hear news to confirm their casting.”

Read more https://www.soompi.com/2017/04/20/go-kyung-pyo-shares-real-reason-joined-tvns-chicago-typewriter/

• Like 7

Current addiction : softened heart of Han Se-joo with adorable facial expressions; confused-softened-hot-but-cute at the same time. That Han Se-joo smile... Can't get enough *sigh* 

and... Wait till the 'ghost' has more screen time kkkkkk such a poison, in a good way. Goooood~

• Like 2

Chicago Typewriter” Staff Hints At Upcoming Chemistry Between Yoo Ah In And Go Kyung Pyo

Chicago-Typewriter7.jpg

tvN’s “Chicago Typewriter” has been receiving more interest as the show hints at its upcoming fifth and sixth episode, especially as more interactions between main characters Yoo Ah In, Im Soo Jung, and Go Kyung Pyo are revealed.

Spoiler:

In the recent episodes, Han Se Ju (Yoo Ah In) discovers the existence of ghostwriter Yoo Jin Oh (Go Kyung Pyo) when the celebrity author finds him using his typewriter. Han Se Ju becomes infuriated and ends up tying Yoo Jin Oh to a chair. He calls his agent Gal Ji Seok to figure out what’s going on. However, when his agent gets to Han Se Ju’s house, they find that the ghostwriter has escaped.

Han Se Ju then realizes that Yoo Jin Oh is not the ghostwriter’s real name, but rather the name of a playwright named Eugene O’Neil, whose portrait is hanging on his wall. Later, the mysterious ghostwriter is found watching Jeon Seol (Im Soo Jung) from afar as she works in a veterinary clin

Read more https://www.soompi.com/2017/04/20/chicago-typewriter-staff-hints-upcoming-chemistry-yoo-ah-go-kyung-pyo/

• Like 6

LINK ALL STILLS 

http://naver.me/xmgLL3go

IMG_2228c14e3.jpg

PHOTO UNDER SPOILER:

Spoiler

IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2227.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

LINK FOR UPCOMING SCENE EPISODE 5 

http://tv.naver.com/v/1621054

@supergal99 i think preview from your screencap for ep 5 was parody for  IM SORRY, I LOVE U (LIM SOO JUNG PAST DRAMA) LOL

SOOJUNG IG UPDATE !

Spoiler

GKP IG UPDATE !!! Tired face, but still hot ❤ he said #chicagotypewriter, only 30 mins from now

• Like 5