[Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

larus

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

apologies haven't gone through other posts as yet.. but i have to say after ep 4 i am in love with this series. I wasn' t so impressed with ep 1 and 2 but i think those episodes set it for us that there is a real ghost/spirit involved..

But by ep 4 it is so clear,

i love it that he is literally the ghost writer..

1. him coming from the US and falling in love with heroine on first sight

2. him wearing clothes same as 1930

3. for shama to sense bad energy - if ghost is not bad energe then who? Maybe the daughter can see the ghost because she is fortune teller's daughter..

4. In ep 1, when typewriter moved into YAI's house, the eyes of that painting (eugene) moved.. and for Yoo to use that painting's name to make up his own name

5. when typewriter self wrote that it want to go to YAI, the cafe owner only saw typewriter writing an not the ghost so we didn't see it.. Only YAI can see the ghost

6.when editor came out of YAI's room, he did not look at the ghost.. yes the scene looks like they are talking to each other but closely, its yoo who alks to editor.. and follows him

7. guess he wants  the lovers to unite or maybe to find a murderer (maybe the other writer would turn out tobe the murderer)

Totally agree with you. Since Yoo Jin Oh appears, the whole drama make a turning page. Everything become clearer. One of these is Jin Oh's a ghost (by now)

And for no.7, I wonder what is Yoo Jin Oh purpose too. It doesnt seem like he has any hatred of Seju. He still jokes around and prank Seju. Still a true friend, I mean. And the way he looks at Jeonseol is not like a lover. It's more like compassion. When Jin Oh said he fell for JS at the first sight since the day he arrived in Korea, we all know this character always lie with a serious face (he cant explain why he followed her as well) Btw, when Jinoh wrote the first chapters, didnt he make Hwiyoung and Soo Hyun a couple-to-be? I mean, he knew their relationship.

I hope that's right, bcs I'm not welcome any triangle love :tongue: 

So here my theory: Jin Oh wants to bring the two lovers back, or at least bring Seju back. Maybe there was something happened to the OT3 in 1930, Jin Oh knew all. Maybe there was other villain party related to Japanese. So Jeon Seol killed Seju. And Jin Oh may be the next target or the witness, bcs we see both men in her illusion. Jinoh then died but couldnt die, trapped himself in the typewriter waiting for Seju to make a revenge. That's why he leaves the message "bring me back to Han Se Ju." Who knows, when Jin Oh says he has to write the story, it maybe the way to reveal the truth. Well, I guess that Baek Tae Min related in the past too. 

PS: remember Jinoh words: "Sinful people will be reincarnated as writers"

• Like 5

@bebe1989 as always you covered everything beautifully and you got my answer, ghostwriter Yoo contacted by CEO is different Yoo than the "ghostwriter YOO Jin OH aka Eu Gene seen by HSJ...the other Ghostwriter Yoo is on vacation and out of reach and has another name...

I'm so loving the CEO's character he's so ecentric and fun especiallay when he was dancing/karaoke with his employees and got the call from "golden touch" and he ran out of there like "usain bolt" LMAO

@valNK yes Im curious about those words "Sinful people will be reincarnated as writers" does that mean HSJ was sinful in his past life?

I'm also curious of the preview in ep 4 when HSJ goes to the press conference to reveal that Yoo is the ghost writer!!! except we know that only he HSJ can see him and the reporters wont be able to see him...that will be interesting!!! Also good catch @bebe1989 about the mysterious character BAEK SAE RA, I guess we'll have to wait and see how they introduce her...

And of course the mystery of Taemin's father....did he see ghostwriter Yoo or the first draft of "Fate"? 

was "Fate" the story that he was writing in Subway when JS saw him as a rookie writer?

Thank you @just_ahug_1 for the translations, it really helps to make everything more clear...

for some reason I really dont like that YAI's character is always angry, shouting etc...I understand he is suspicious of everyone but I cant wait for him to mellow out...I also want to see more scenes of how he was in the 30's era...it looked like his character back then was more fun!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, gongi said:

The meeting with Bang Jih is such a cliche with the flowers 'flying around' cg, bgm and 'heart'... lolz. 

I am inclined to think that Yoo is a ghost whose soul is stuck in the vintage typewriter since only SeJo and Bang Jih can see him. I would be so keen in this character if I am an actor. It is unusual and full of suspense, isn't it? I feel like I playing the game, " Solve this riddle -Who is Yoo?"

I wonder if the one that stole the story for, 'Fate' could be Taemin's mom? Another reason why she is also determined to destroy SeJo's career? Taemin's dad might be aware of it but didn't stop her - just like he knew of her schemes against SJ but did not confront her?  

I think Yoo let Bang Jin "see" him unlike Se Joo who can see him on his own accord without Yoo actually wanting it,it's clear he can't control it and of now we can see he is the only one who can see him as one could see another human,we don't know for sure if the same happenes with Seol because we never saw Yoo and her facing each other directly...Now,why did he reveal himself to Bang Ji is also a question...

More than sure they stole his debut work and publish it under Taemin name yet i'm curious if this one knows it's his,it is plain shameless if he knows and still be able to look Se Joo in the eyes so carefree...I see Se Joo pointing his resentment towards Taemin's father so if he is the one behind the crime or like mentioned his wife doing it and he covered it to save her...In any case his wife is clearly sick in her obsession with Se Joo and i still wonder why he is so bystander of her ways while seeing how she tries to destroy a innocent man,even if he isin't the real thief in the end he is just as bad as the wife...

I suspect Taemin's father didn't actually see Yoo but the first draft that he was hiding under the table yet maybe they made the after conversation ambiguous to make us wonder...Yet,why would he get angry when Se Joo is the victim in that act...

I'm quite curious why Bang Jin's Mom thinks Yoo is an evil spirit,i mean does Yoo indeed have a plan to hurt one of them,maybe for whatever happened in the past?From the way we saw till now he clearly doesn't have resent and even more for Seol...He clearly cares deeply for her,just the way he looks at her is telling...Still curious why he wanted to reunite with Se Joo as he clearly forced the previous owner in US to give the typewriter to him and reunite with him aside from the fact he wants to live,is Se Joo the only one capable of letting him be "alive"?...

Knowing the writer it's never too simple and the story always has deep and layers...

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

I think Yoo let Bang Jin "see" him unlike Se Joo who can see him on his own accord without Yoo actually wanting it,it's clear he can't control it and of now we can see he is the only one who can see him as one could see another human,we don't know for sure if the same happenes with Seol because we never saw Yoo and her facing each other directly...Now,why did he reveal himself to Bang Ji is also a question...

More than sure they stole his debut work and publish it under Taemin name yet i'm curious if this one knows it's his,it is plain shameless if he knows and still be able to look Se Joo in the eyes so carefree...I see Se Joo pointing his resentment towards Taemin's father so if he is the one behind the crime or like mentioned his wife doing it and he covered it to save her...In any case his wife is clearly sick in her obsession with Se Joo and i still wonder why he is so bystander of her ways while seeing how she tries to destroy a innocent man,even if he isin't the real thief in the end he is just as bad as the wife...

I suspect Taemin's father didn't actually see Yoo but the first draft that he was hiding under the table yet maybe they made the after conversation ambiguous to make us wonder...Yet,why would he get angry when Se Joo is the victim in that act...

I'm quite curious why Bang Jin's Mom thinks Yoo is an evil spirit,i mean does Yoo indeed have a plan to hurt one of them,maybe for whatever happened in the past?From the way we saw till now he clearly doesn't have resent and even more for Seol...He clearly cares deeply for her,just the way he looks at her is telling...Still curious why he wanted to reunite with Se Joo as he clearly forced the previous owner in US to give the typewriter to him and reunite with him aside from the fact he wants to live,is Se Joo the only one capable of letting him be "alive"?...

Knowing the writer it's never too simple and the story always has deep and layers...

what is the significance of red beans and evil spirits? are the red beans what allowed Bang Jin to see Yoo?

You brought a good point and it made me think of something, perhaps what he means when he says HSJ is the only one who can let him live, perhaps let him live through his writing...I like to think, if HSJ tells the story of what happened back then in the 30s, then Yoo's memory, of what really happened in the past, especially if he was a victim, get's to live on...and his spirit can finally rest in peace....

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dramaobsessed said:

what is the significance of red beans and evil spirits? are the red beans what allowed Bang Jin to see Yoo?

You brought a good point and it made me think of something, perhaps what he means when he says HSJ is the only one who can let him live, perhaps let him live through his writing...I like to think, if HSJ tells the story of what happened back then in the 30s, then Yoo's memory, of what really happened in the past, especially if he was a victim, get's to live on...and his spirit can finally rest in peace....

No,they are to ward off spirits,they will vanish if the medium tosses at the spirit...It's a weapon against evil spirits,that's why Yoo left because he sensed the Mom coming with the beans(just like salt prevents evil spirits from coming close)...If he touches them is no problem...I hint he has a agenda in revealing himself to Bang Jin,we just have to figure it out

This can also be a good point,maybe he truly wants to tell his story and make amends with them and finally rest...He trully seems like he has unfinish business with the both of them,unspoken stuff otherwise it's hard to think he would dwell and not reincarnate along the two as well...Hope it will be just the writing and not some mojo were Se Joo lifeforce goes to Yoo(that sounds creepy/saw too many movies)

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

No,they are to ward off spirits,they will vanish if the medium tosses at the spirit...It's a weapon against evil spirits,that's why Yoo left because he sensed the Mom coming with the beans(just like salt prevents evil spirits from coming close)...If he touches them is no problem...I hint he has a agenda in revealing himself to Bang Jin,we just have to figure it out

This can also be a good point,maybe he truly wants to tell his story and make amends with them and finally rest...He trully seems like he has unfinish business with the both of them,unspoken stuff otherwise it's hard to think he would dwell and not reincarnate along the two as well...Hope it will be just the writing and not some mojo were Se Joo lifeforce goes to Yoo(that sounds creepy/saw too many movies)

oh ok I see RE the red beans...

you make an interesting point about him using SJ as a portal or energy source...so far we know for sure that there was something between JS and SJ romantically in the past, however we're not sure what Yoo's part was in all this...was he also entangled in their romance? at least we know for sure that SJ had some sort of a crush on her....we're not sure if she felt the same way...so far we see that she kissed him because they were being chased....but we're not really shown how she felt about him...as a romantic interest...of course because they are the leads we assume so....

was Yoo and SJ competing for JS? is he back for some sort of revenge? so far he seem's harmless but of course it's still too early to tell and we don't have all the information....

could it be he was actually evil and he's back with a sinister intention? mmh....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, valNK said:

Totally agree with you. Since Yoo Jin Oh appears, the whole drama make a turning page. Everything become clearer. One of these is Jin Oh's a ghost (by now)

And for no.7, I wonder what is Yoo Jin Oh purpose too. It doesnt seem like he has any hatred of Seju. He still jokes around and prank Seju. Still a true friend, I mean. And the way he looks at Jeonseol is not like a lover. It's more like compassion. When Jin Oh said he fell for JS at the first sight since the day he arrived in Korea, we all know this character always lie with a serious face (he cant explain why he followed her as well) Btw, when Jinoh wrote the first chapters, didnt he make Hwiyoung and Soo Hyun a couple-to-be? I mean, he knew their relationship.

I hope that's right, bcs I'm not welcome any triangle love :tongue: 

So here my theory: Jin Oh wants to bring the two lovers back, or at least bring Seju back. Maybe there was something happened to the OT3 in 1930, Jin Oh knew all. Maybe there was other villain party related to Japanese. So Jeon Seol killed Seju. And Jin Oh may be the next target or the witness, bcs we see both men in her illusion. Jinoh then died but couldnt die, trapped himself in the typewriter waiting for Seju to make a revenge. That's why he leaves the message "bring me back to Han Se Ju." Who knows, when Jin Oh says he has to write the story, it maybe the way to reveal the truth. Well, I guess that Baek Tae Min related in the past too. 

PS: remember Jinoh words: "Sinful people will be reincarnated as writers"

yup imy theory is, that jin oh is somehow responsible to creating a confusion in mind of the heroine of 1930 that led her to shoot YAI's character of 1930.

Hence, in her new life she has a shooting phobia, because she shot the wrong person.

Yai seems to have least of past connection/regrets.

And jin oh is still a ghost because of his unfinished business. Clearly the 3 were really close friends and two of them died an untimely death due to some sort of betrayal.. and he feels responsible for that. He as a dog was alaso playing cupid. So definitely, he is all for lovers to unite.. and to fulfill the higher purpose of his existance, i am sure a murder or real murderer behind the lead pair dying in 1930, or some mastermind who led to the two ying using jinho of past will come to light.. sooner or later..

and for the other writer tae min.. i doubt if he is such an insignificant role... i am still holding out my hope for him to be connected to heroine of 1930.. and maybe back then also he liked heroine so got yai o fpast killed..

CT is through and through a love story.. which they have made clear by now (as in novel is all loves tory so thaat means story of the real past is also all about love story)

• Like 4

Find it quite curious how our resident ghost can change his clothes...Also saying Se Joo must continue to write for him to live yet till now he was the one using the typewriter,how was he gonna make Se Joo use it as well...From what i get he might been a gangster in his previous life and maybe he sold both of them to the japanese or along the lines...Nevertless,returning to the present, their banter is damn hilarious,poor Se Joo,he's about to pop a vein...

• Like 5

Chicago Typewriter: Episode 4

by gummimochi

Chicago04-00404.jpg

Great writing isn’t something that can be conjured out of thin air—rather, it’s a product of hard work and perseverance by a writer who refuses to quit, even when he’s at the end of his rope. So when Se-joo is unable to think himself out of the biggest writer’s block of his life, he’ll be reminded of the reasons why he loves and lives to write. They say the scariest moment is always the one before you start writing, but he’ll need to start somewhere if he doesn’t want to see his life go up in flames.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

Se-joo accosts the man typing at his desk, who carefully introduces himself as the ghostwriter YOO JIN-OH. His nonchalance at being caught annoys Se-joo, who demands to know who sent him. Cut to: Ji-seok singing heartily to “Why Do You Call Me” by Diva with the publishing team at noraebang. Lol. Se-joo’s call cuts the party short, and one threat sends Ji-seok flying out of there. Se-joo ties his trespasser to the chair as they wait. Writer Yoo finds this excessive considering that he came clean about being hired by Ji-seok, who sounds his arrival by pounding the locked door. 

Once inside, Ji-seok asks when Se-joo changed the passcode. He’s perplexed when Se-joo argues that he gave the ghostwriter access to his house since they tabled the idea of hiring a ghostwriter (oh?). So Se-joo pushes him into the office to see said ghostwriter for himself… but the chair is empty. Ji-seok wonders if Se-joo is still taken his meds, then decides to settle this once and for all by calling Writer Yoo. When the call goes straight to voicemail, Se-joo angrily grabs Ji-seok, who shouts the writer’s full name: Yoo Chang-myung. Hmm.

Asked about the name Yoo Jin-oh, Ji-seok says he never heard of a writer by that name. Then Se-joo turns to the portrait hanging on the wall behind him, and it dawns on him: The name Yoo Jin-oh is a play on Eugene O’Neill (yoo-jin-oh-nil). His rage drives Ji-seok out of the house, and he calls Se-joo’s physician to find out when his last therapy session was. Once the coast is clear, Jin-oh emerges from the bushes, wondering how he can keep working. He muses, “Should I… toy with him some more?” Inside, Se-joo rips up the draft sitting in the typewriter.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/chicago-typewriter-episode-4/

• Like 4

I really like Subway scene both in the present and 10 years ago in ep4, esp. the latter. It has a unique nostalgic, wistful and dreamy feel to it.

It's their first fan meeting right? :) They were both so green and raw and innocent. Seol was truly like an innocent student/part-timer just eager to know about this young writer who was immersed in writing so much that it intrigued her curiosity, and about life. And Se Joo was young (he might be older than her by just a few years) and not as jaded and cynical as he is now. He did actually smile a few times throughout that conversation. It was short but sincere, the kind of exchange you don't expect to see between two strangers who talk for the first time.  They seemed to click well from the beginning and were able to relate to each other both mentally and emotionally. 

It's strange Se Joo doesn't remember that they talked, as I think at that time, it was not common for him to have that kind of conversation with other people, or to come across someone like Seol, who was genuinely curious about him, what he does and in touch with what he says. If it was me and I ever met someone like that, I'll make sure to ask for their contact :D.

If in the first time, it was what Se Joo said that cheered Seol up and gave her comfort, then 10 years later, in that same restaurant, she returned exactly that, by telling him that she's been supporting him and wishing him all the best throughout the years. Se Joo is having a hard time, and Seol's words might make him feel sad that he's not living up to what he strived for, but he's still moved and touched by them. 

• Like 7

Woah... we have lots of potential thriller writers in this thread!I love all your analysis...and they all seem so possible! What will happen in the next episode?  I can't wait... otekeeee...

• Like 3

I believe, Yoo jin oh appearing again in this life time, because he miss their old times and love his teammate, eventhought we dont know it yet for sure what happen to them in year 1930. I have feeling right when he was deliver himself to Sejoo and Js. As the clock/ watch running again. The actual story begin again. :| because im sure he want to save sejoo from slump with helping him as ghostwriter, and (since he know old story of their life) yoo jin oh possible to help him again, from evil character who planned everything to destroy SeJoo. Like what bangji mom said to sejoo, that he was surrounding with,death,madness, delusion, anxiety, fear, resentment, and obsession. (I think writernim describe evil character who wishing seJoo to dissapeared).

@dramaobsessedAs Yoo said sinful ppl will be reincarnated as writers, i guess he was talking about CEO past life. Since seJoo already writer in year 1930.

BAEK YE RIN – A VERY OLD MEMORY (아주 오래된 기억) CHICAGO TYPEWRITER OST

Today, I suddenly felt something from you
It was a very scary moment

What does that mean?
Is it longing? Or is it hatred?

Some days, there are days like that
Everything seems unfamiliar

From some scents
From some sounds on some days
I feel a very old-time memory

Slowly Bloom In My Heart
As the dark memories become clearer
Love Blooms In My Heart
I feel an unknown feeling

When I put my hand on it, I feel
A numbing pain, why?

Because I want to remember
I keep walking to you
Step by step, following you

Slowly Bloom In My Heart
The moment the dark memories open its eyes
I Run To Your Heart
To the most beautiful moments

In some dream
In a place I don’t know
When I’m lost and wandering

The image of me in pain
In constant tears
Reflect in the sunlight

Slowly Bloom In My Heart
The moment the dark memories open its eyes
I Run To Your Heart
To the most beautiful moments

My Everlasting Moment In Life.

source: popgasa

Im Soo Jung Shares How She Feels About "Chicago Typewriter" Co-Star Yoo Ah In 

Im Soo Jung is the cover model for the May edition of fashion magazine InStyle, and she expressed her thoughts about her drama “Chicago Typewriter” and co-star Yoo Ah In.

“When an actor meets a drama or a movie, it’s like meeting a lover. I agree to work on it only when I get the right feel from it. The moment I read the script for ‘Chicago Typewriter,’ I wanted to do it. That’s how interesting and fresh the story and characters are.”

Im Soo Jung plays the role of Jeon Seol, an avid fan of Han Se Joo (Yoo Ah In). In accordance with her character in the drama, she revealed, “I’ve always been a fan of Yoo Ah In,” and continued, “He fits his character so well that I can’t imagine anyone else playing that role, and I’m sure viewers feel the same way as well. Being on set is fun too. Although Han Se Joo has a cold personality, sometimes he can be cute and funny. The scenes where Han Se Joo and Jeon Seol appear together are especially fun. I like how we interact with each other.”

Have you been enjoying their interactions on TV?

Meanwhile, take a look at some of the photos from her pictorial below!

“Chicago Typewriter” airs every Friday and Saturday. Watch it exclusively on Viki!Watch "Chicago Typewriter," available exclusively on Viki!

Source (1)

source soompi

• Like 13

14 hours ago, dramaobsessed said:

for some reason I really dont like that YAI's character is always angry, shouting etc...I understand he is suspicious of everyone but I cant wait for him to mellow out...I also want to see more scenes of how he was in the 30's era...it looked like his character back then was more fun!

Yeah, I hope next episode we can see less shouting from Sejoo, OR maybe the was angry towards YJO is someting related to their past? Like he unintentionally angry at YJO. It is his past life that was angry at YJO?. Heh......I dont know~~~~

13 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Owh, thank you about the Red Beans purpose. Thought to ward off bad spirit is using salt only. =)

I also think YJO have unfinished business with these two, he want to make amend with the two. MAybe because of him, these two cant continue their love life during 1930. Hence he want to help them in this life. 

I can see the bitter sweet ending for YJO already. Shall I buy stocks of boxes tissue in advance? HAHAHAHAHA.

I like JYO-HSJ conversation. Hehehehe, YJO really challenge HSJ intelligence. Heeee. Everytime he checked his room to see if YJO is there or not, the give the "look" at Eugene O'Neill portrait is just, HAHAHAHAHA. 

Im very curious of their relationship in 1930. In character description, it said that YJO is a genius writer. When? since 1930? Where did he write in 1930? For which publication?

In 2017 BangJin mom said about something evil, there are two but dont know which one.

Here my question. Is getting throw by red beans is that hurts? cause HSJ sound like he is VERY hurts. Im near to test myself, but I cant, I will got spanking from my mom instead. =P.

• Like 6

Just finished watching ep 4 and Im more immersed in this drama now thanks to Yoo Jin Oh. Go Kyung Pyo is so dashing in that 1930's outift and I can't get enough of him :tongue:. Another thing that I love is the fashion style of CEO-nim. He was so different from his past character in Goblin. He shines more in this drama. 

@CatchMine_ID I keep replaying the satellite song thanks to your fmv. Just watched it yesterday. 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, dramaobsessed said:

@valNK yes Im curious about those words "Sinful people will be reincarnated as writers" does that mean HSJ was sinful in his past life?

because this said...

18 hours ago, valNK said:

Who knows, when Jin Oh says he has to write the story, it maybe the way to reveal the truth. Well, I guess that Baek Tae Min related in the past too. 

I think its possible that Baek Tae-min is the sinful one in the past, since he is writer too, but not yet revealed about his traces in 1930s? I want Tae-min shows up in front of the fortuneteller and wonder about his aura. All his family members (including him) seems like have nice out different inside, especially after the published 'Fate' incident...

Btw, sure Seol hold title the true first fan of Se-joo. She said before when she met Tae-min that she fell only for the first novel, that I think it was 'Fate' whom the original writer was Se-joo, and maybe that was the one she read the scrapped draft in Subway.

Till ep. 4 how Se-joo acts as full of suspicion is understand-able but its getting on my nerves to see him always screaming while holding others neck/body. Oh please director/writer-nim it would be better if he was not so exaggerated like that haha.

And... Do I the one who always think 'from where all the books come really, dang that was really a lot of books in one house' for both Se-joo's and Tae-min's home. Lol  

K-drama's fashion recently scares me a lot, what the heck of price that pieces of clothes has. Oh well, that bookstore-alike-house then quite understand-able for people like Se-joo kkkk

• Like 4

2 hours ago, anrytoma said:

@CatchMine_ID I keep replaying the satellite song thanks to your fmv. Just watched it yesterday.

Awww @anrytoma thank you for watching. Are you all satellite now? Hahahaha that song haunted me, especially just after watched CITT, as you know, Saltnpaper became so familiar in my head.

3 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

Here my question. Is getting throw by red beans is that hurts? cause HSJ sound like he is VERY hurts. Im near to test myself, but I cant, I will got spanking from my mom instead. =P.

HAHAHAH yeah, he is soooo dramatic, find him quite childish and hot-headed for some acts kinda like that, seems like the trauma was hit him really bad instead of those red beans fufufu

• Like 3