[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

I take my words Kim Shin will get revenge to king actually..I look Kim shin already accept what happen actually.He may be forgive the king for wrong doings.:wub:

The reason why he look more painting sister after he go to palace.The second is he write name of king and sister..And The latest he say he is wrong to comeback to palace that time.

I hope the revenge will not continue to long.I love their friendship :heart: for all these moments.

• Like 10

My Goblin fans, I'm back after two days and I now have over 50 pages to read. LOL. All of you are JJANG! And a very happy new year to all of you! :) 

I finished watching episode 10 earlier, and I guess no tables will be flipped after that kiss. LOL. XD I remember how some of us were saying that, if there was no kiss this weekend, tables would be flipped in protest. 

Episode 10 settles all arguments about whether our Grim Reaper is the old King. I have never been involved in discussions about this, but I am glad that we are learning more about their past with each episode.

I cried when I saw that touching scene when Eun Tak discovers that her mother's best friend has been watching over her all her life. I have actually forgotten that Eun Tak has already spoken to the same ghost way back in Episode 2 (only then we had not suspected that she could have been a ghost). Clever Writer-nim! I was completely surprised to discover that the Paju ghost was her mother's best friend and Episode 8/9 (?) was never her first appearance! 

Anyway, I will try to take my time to read the past 50 pages over the next few days. :)

• Like 23

***HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!****

Haven't been posting as much but I'm still here...lurking like the GR....hehe

They kissed! What a wonderful way to end the year and bring in the new! I know a lot of us wanted a deeper kiss, but as their first official couple-ly kiss, it was PERFECT. It fit who they are at the moment to a T. And it was a twofer!! Now I hope for more kisses and skinship to come!! *wink wink*

A lot of you mentioned what you loved about the kiss scene (their faces & expressions for me especially), but something else I liked about it was that it wasn't one of those stereotypical kdrama kisses....yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

I'm sad that Gramps will be passing on, but I was expecting that at some point. Looks like DH will be maturing even more soon.

That king WY shot at the end was epic. His look says a lot. He had such sadness and regret in his eyes. 

The schoolgirl ghost being ET's mom's friend was a surprise! It also answered some questions for us about who was watching over ET. But now another question arises: if ET's mom isn't the 2nd missing soul, which it sounds like she's not at this point, who is it then?

One last thing! I've said it before but I feel the need to say it again since I don't post often and we're only 6 eps till the end...

PLEASE. NO. AMNESIA. PLEASE!

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

As conclusion, the situation is reversed again... Now GR can act on his own accord, doesn't regret anything. We can see God's intervention due to both scenes. Determination, sincerity and need can also be observed in this situation.  

Boo I gotta question for you...Have you done literature before or something? Like your explanations and comparisons are so insightful it's like I'm reading a professional review! I love it! Its like, you put in words what we know but with ALL the condiments!

• Like 15

Just now, blademan said:

Boo I gotta question for you...Have you done literature before or something? Like your explanations and comparisons are so insightful it's like I'm reading a professional review! I love it! Its like, you put in words what we know but with ALL the condiments!

Look at my nickname... Then you'll get the answer. leaf Honestly, I studied German and French literature. I love analysing literature which I have to do sometimes for work! pink catBut the credit should be also given to @joyezz because she noticed the two scenes.   panda

• Like 21

Hello!

I have been lurking on this thread but decided to post since it is the New Year and I really enjoyed the 2 last episodes.

First, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Looking forward to reading more of your theories in 2017 :D

Hey @bebebisous33! So glad to see you here and to be reading your long posts! :heart:

@NRGchick Annyong! Oh my god! Totally loved that scene between Goblin and Grim Reaper; that is when I started thinking he might be the King. He he

ETA: Yay @blademan!

Wow so many familiar names!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Look at my nickname... Then you'll get the answer. leaf Honestly, I studied German and French literature. I love analysing literature which I have to do sometimes for work! pink catBut the credit should be also given to @joyezz because she noticed the two scenes.   panda

Yeah you see idk french or german hahaha so your nickname, I literally just Googled it! But seriously love your work :wub: 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, kyubiX said:

A lot of you mentioned what you loved about the kiss scene (their faces & expressions for me especially), but something else I liked about it was that it wasn't one of those stereotypical kdrama kisses....yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Yes! I also loved how she was proactive in asking for it and then kissed him back. It was light and cute, perfect at this point.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, blademan said:

Yeah you see idk french or german hahaha so your nickname, I literally just Googled it! But seriously love your work :wub: 

No, what I meant is the nickname in my signature: "teachernim!!" @selenette even calls me Ssaem! leaf

I hope, it was okay that I tagged you to another long post!

@carolinedl I am glad that you have decided to join this thread and stop lurking. I am eager to read your analysis as well.

So back to the Goblin's world: people have been wondering about the identity of Ji Eun Tak's father. Someone mentioned that he could be the assistant soldier who was a closer friend to Kim Shin, when he was a general. This is definitely possible. goblin1-00272.jpg He is actually the one who ended KS's life. He did it out of loyalty. It would be very great, if this theory was correct because by making him his daughter his bride, he is repaying his debt: he is the one who ended his life as human and through his daughter, he is the one who bring him back to the mortal world. Sure, he is indirectly ending his life as immortal. However, God's intention must be to give KS a new life where he can be himself and not sacrify everything for his country or his king. During the 900 years, he never lived and dedicated his immortality to change peoples' destiny. He was again acting as someone who has a duty to do. Through Eun Tak, Kim Shin has found a new purpose in life: to make JE happy and to be happy himself! His new goal is happiness... there is no more duty and obligation.

I am quite sure that KS will become a mortal human because like I had written before, he is living more and more like a human. At some point, he will have the will to give up his power as god. I guess, the death of the grandfather will be a blow to him. It is really painful not only to be the friend of a deceased, but also to know that this person will die soon. The knowledge of imminent death is burdening Kim Shin. Let us not forget that he resented God for being indifferent. I guess, being a god he must have realised that all being too close to human can be burdensome too. I guess, KS needs to understand that God was not indifferent back then.  Moreover, he has to realise that he has to choose between happiness or love and immortality bound with pain and duties! 

• Like 18

@bebebisous33 daebak!! KS as the second missing soul is my first guess. He fit all requirements needed to be a missing soul. He is a product of a 'miracle'. And just like ET, he should had been dead. But, then KS couldn't be a missing soul, he is well known in GR community. I mean he is not missing or hiding or something like ET. But (again), ET was a missing soul even though GR WY had found her.

Btw I think, someone in this thread had raised the same issue..But I am not so sure. This thread is moving faster than space rocket I hardly catch up with who wrote what. My apologizes. 

@happypuppy maybe ET's mom was served with tea by another GR?

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, shynaz said:

Why I think?

Hide contents

The king /  grim reaper is father recaination to ET.The queen pregnant that time.The ring is symbol of this birth...

First time I write assumption.Confused to mention here or not...:sweatingbullets:

That will make Sunny as ET's employer, sister in law, and mother too? It's a possibility but it's too complicated. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, romanov said:

couldn't agree more with it @NRGchick. Somehow GB has find the way for him to live with ET, through that barging accident. It's by creating his(and ET)own destiny. The only think he has to do is knocking the heaven's door. How? Show his stronger will to the God. That he (and ET) wants to live without one of them(needs to)die. God may already has set GB's fate, but if His creature has bigger will, i bet God's will (allow the fate to be) change. 

Actually, this 'human will can change their destiny' theme has been mentioned by @packmule3 and @maryofbethany before. Sorry to cut your long post, i just want to quote the important part here. Please read the purple highlighted sentence below. 

And once again @packmule3 and @maryofbethany, this reminds me of what Luke and Matthew said, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you".

Let's hope GB and ET's love and will to live together will moved deity's heart:wub:

@packmule3@romanov @NRGchick hmmm... actually wasnt prepared to share any thoughts, given that i have not arranged my own "private recaps' post-watching, my Sat/Sun always church activities occupied / filled, i insisted always must watch finish before commenting..
but what you said about that variable and doors... just scratch my itchiness. and i just cannot sleep without saying something.

i loved how friendship found it way into the hearts of two immortal men who supposed to be rid of human affection/ neither can they easily affected by human's death or life, else they just couldnt do their job properly to obey the "Above" ( pardon me i couldnt use word "GOD' to describe the so-call deity in Goblin, given my personal religious belief that my Lord God is certainly not this whatsoever Goblin's portrayed, so i will just preferred to this BEING as what KS mentioned "Above".)
here we found not just friendship, but a brotherly closeness developed between the two room  house-mates.. WS asked not out of random curiousity, but real concern, "will will you do now?"
KS preferred to the man who barged into the Departed souls Teahouse,  and i quote him "A man's desperation can open any door... maybe one door that open in such way, could became a variable in the deity's plan. i plan to start something, with desperation. What door must i open. it might take 100 years, it might take 10 months. But for now i decided to stay by her side. (this is similar to what @bebebisous33 said, about he started to walk not behind, nor lead her infront but walked beside her like a human, its the "Beside', that put his humanity forward. Not Immortal Being will walk beside any Mortal beings. it may appear beside a mortal for a short moments, but it won;t STAY, and it don't emphasis BESIDE. all the times. it signified a willingness to be count as EQUAL with ET. just like in Human Marriage, the Hubby and the Wifey in truth are equal in essence, not one is weighier than the other, but in terms of respect, the wifey submit to the Hubby, yet they are equal in status.
i loved the way he mentioned the sentence just like a matter of fact, but as something that he is contented to give up all to earn it; "BUT FOR NOW I DECIDED TO STAY BY HER SIDE.".
which means, now both has come to the same term, the same understanding, remembering ET was chiding KS (while thinking KS grew suddenly attract to Sunny's beauty), she mentioned, isn't it that KS has promised not to keep anything from her... that was the sign of a mature relationship, when expressions is freely shown, and accepted, each is comfortable to be themselves before the other... bickering and next moment make up like nothing happens without feel forced to... Between them, they come to the understanding, that they will stick together, just like the Marriage vow. " for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance". it is totally reflecting the part on "till death do us part"... Come What May, So Be It, Bring it On! we shall go down fighting. that is the spirit in an OTP i was always looking for. it human to hide behind noble idiocry at the beginning as we succumb to weakness. then when we realised together and talked it out... let's fight this together.
for a being that lived 940 years, witnessed regets of a departed soul, yet still willing to believe in any open doors, and above all, believed in the deity "Above' that He will open a door after witnessing ET and KS's sincerity and faith in the deity's grace unfailing.
KS; "i might end up opening a door," the Above is grace in these marvellous ways, In "memories" retain, and "memories removed" for the right persons.
i found one of the Key Importance strength of Grace is tied to Memories, and Remembering. imagining if KS has his memories removed, he will not be granted to grace to be looking for his sister continuously to right the wrong. to have the joy of reconciliation with the King-brother-in-law who not just pierced his heart but broke his heart before that when requested his death on the battlefield. its a much earned grace to allow him to spend 939 years grudging , but at the 940th met the king, with all his memories still intact, yet developed a fondness for the nemesis so deepened that one day, it will break him again first before he found himself forgiving WangYeo.
same with WangYeo, the Memories removed, is WY's blessing. if he remembered who he was, not just 300 years, 300 days will not passed before he will take his own life in remorse. Whether life or death, what is most precious, or one of the most precious thing God bestow us, in Memories... That Cup of Tea, that Remove Memories at Tea house. was indeed the last thing Above grant a person in regards to this Life.. for Memories, is everything that ties down to this Life, is what start your life with, and what remain when your life ended.
what make all the moments between Euntak and Mom at ET's birthday-cake blowing, .... or that scenes, where ET helped the departed highschool girl stocked up her fridge... or that scene, where a departed Mom ordered a "paradise-tea' for her deceased daughter... what break your heart watching these... (oh,not to forget to mentioned the ep10 Mom's friend who brougth back memories of mom and linked ET to Mom)... what make all these scenes of departed souls still hanging on their last moments is not that lingering regrets of life loss.... or life wasted... but memories of your loved one that you are on the bringe of giving up.. memories of yourself in the hearts of your living love ones that you left behind mourning you, remembering you.

KS will not want ET to go thru that..... when he mentioned "As you live in immortal life, you will watch he deaths of those you love. you will not able to forget a single death." (a single life, beloved life, every death). he went thru 940 years of that remembrance. he will not want ET to go thru 80 yrs of remembering one single death, his own. Remembering, is a gift from God. memories restored back to Wang Yeo in itself, is Above granting grace back to Wang Yeo, siginifying there is hope with WangYeo, and Above has not done with him, yet. to allow 2 relationship which was a regret upon king WangYeo's deathbed... Above allow him to fullfil and make good of taht regrets.

Remembrance brings Redeemption. Redeemption is already in the process of working out. whether in the end any of the Four will depart... at least they are given a chance to love each other. A Chance to love your enemies, to be loved by your enemies, should not just be your enemies' blessing, but yours too. who actually wants to be a cold hard immortals , if they can't experienced Remembrance, Redeemption.
to be willing to give up his immortality was teh first step to open up the pandora box, not to death, but to another variable door.
when his fist tightly clenched and hold on to Immortatliy which is the empty air within his tight clench fist... God can never give him anything. KS has to give up, open his fist, let go, emptied, .... Above will open a door, and fill that empty palm with something. True Love. short mortal life, but spend worthyly Beside her.
KS ep9 that short simple sharing to his new found brother WS, touched me greatly.

• Like 17

@shynaz I had the same thought too that ET could be the unborn child of Kim Sun, when she was the Queen! I had written in the beginning. Yet what is disturbing me now is the relationship between Kim Sun and Kim Shin. They are siblings and if ET was her daughter in her past life, this would make look like incest for nowadays standards. Moreover, this would diminish the value of JYH, ET's mother in this time line. But this is not totally outruled. 

• Like 15

7 hours ago, sia3 said:

Grown up King Wang Yeo looked miserable and haggard to me. I do believe he eventually realised his mistake and the evil-doings of Park Joong Won, but may have been too late by then. He has definitely felt remorse towards Kim Sun or else meeting Sunny would not have stirred up the emotions even when he cannot remember.

Show tells us that in order to become a Grim Reaper, that soul has committed a great sin or sins. Then Park Joong Won should have become one too, isn't it? However, I am now more inclined to think he went directly to hell, and that Grim Reapers existed because God or Deities think these sinful souls can still redeem themselves, which perhaps explain why they live like normal humans and have emotions; yet lead a strict life and face deaths all the time. It's an awful job--that's the punishment, but perhaps also a way for them to learn how precious each human's life is since they (Wang Yeo) would have taken many innocent lives when he was king.

I believe God's ultimate plan is to give these characters a lesson and the point of this show is God giving Shin, Wang Yeo and Kim Sun a second chance in life. Closure is definitely one of God's lessons for them, but another is to find happiness. However, they must earn this happiness and choose the right path to get it. I don't believe everything Samshin grandma said is true. Fate / destiny is not dead set and it changes when a decision or choice is made. Take Shin for example, he has the 2 paths set out in front of him by God.

(1) Find the bride and pull the sword

(2) Choose to live then his bride will cease to exist this lifetime

... but Shin decided on another path himself i.e.

(3) Live happily with Eun Tak and find a way out by eliminating Option 1 and 2

(to which I believe is the decision God truly intended him to make. Should he not make it, then Option 2 kicks in and Eun Tak's soul will reincarnate again to be his bride next time because karma comes and goes in a cycle.)

In all honesty, no point writing a drama and kill off the character who had already suffer for 940 years, right? I'm optimistic that we will have a happy ending. I am also curious how KES plan to (convincingly) turn Grim Reaper into a human and unite with Sunny.

I agree. You write and summarize everything really well there, I am definitely not good with words and English is not my main language. I also think we'll have a happy ending for all characters, especially with Goblin's drama popularity soaring high like this it is just absurd (please read this writer-nim!) to have a sad ending even for one couple. Like you said, there must be reasons for the second chances for all --- now it's up to them to plan and choose their paths.

I am a fan of KES since The Heirs as that was the K-drama that first sparked my interest in Korean entertainment as a whole. Now I am not only into K-drama, I am also into K-pop! I am in my mid-30s and sometimes I feel a bit ridiculous for wanting to spend my time watching episodes after episodes of K-drama rather than doing something more appropriate my age, ehem. But age is just a number, so... Anyway, my point is, there is always something about KES drama that draws me in, so deep. Her writing is exactly my type. I have enjoyed The Heirs, DOTS and now this. I used to think The Heirs was the best, but then I found DOTS was better. And now with Goblin, gosh KES writer-nim! I am so in love with ALL characters in this drama. I hope Goblin will eventually pass the 18-19% record rating and remain Top 1 forever!

• Like 12