[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

12 minutes ago, rumasa79 said:

Sorry if this has been posted, but after watching this I can't stop thinking how both of them are grateful to work together and they seem genuinely honest saying it. Gong Yoo keeps praising KGE to no end, vice versa. And I was like, " Are you having a crush on her, oppa?" Well, she's unavailable at the moment, but we never know what will happen after months of spending time together, wouldn't we? *smirk*

Okay, don't mind me, I'm just in love with both of them, on screen and off. They're truly talented and dedicated actors, I feel lucky to be able to watch them together in a project. I read Gong Yoo's interview back in January and he clearly said that he wished to work with KGE. I'm suspicious that he's the one asking KES to cast her personally and KES couldn't say no to that since she's been wanting Gong Yoo as his leading man for years. I hope it's true tho, hahaha, that would be sweet.

Their romance in this drama might not the burning-with-passion and super hot kind of romance, but there's a sense of puppy, pure, first love at one time and in another time they can present us with this familiar, heartwarming, old-married couple vibes when they bicker. It's so refreshing to see their awkward skinship actually makes me giggly and giddy. And I keep waiting for those moments. 

Thank you for sharing this @rumasa79 I have been waiting for the Eng subs, previously I watched the raw video and kept wondering what they said. Thank you! Though I like both actors but I feel they are quite professional, so they probably won't fall in love IRL. But I think SongSong couple has high chance and that's a couple I like too! Shipping them :)

P.S. for folks who just fell in love with Gong Yoo this year (like I did...), you should check out the Soompi forum thread of Gong Yoo (the actor). It has 1500+ pages and is filled with up to date info about him. I'm so amazed at all the fans who update it as well as the translated interviews which I could never find from Google search. I'm so happy and I bookmarked the forum to read during breaks at work. hee hee :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, xxyy said:

Sorry for posting way too much today!! :bawling: i can't help it...

Question chinguss...

Yu Deok Hwa's name , i believe in EP 5, he told ET that his name was given when Kim Shin was into Andy Lau in 1991 era! 

Anyone knows what his name suppose to mean or any joke behind it? let me know guys ..thank you !!:heart:

RE: DEOK-HWA'S NAME

@xxyy Hello! If you're interested, I explained Deok-hwa's name meaning on p. 515 (please click the Reply...)

RE: THE "SUN" HANJA CHARACTER IN KIM SUN'S NAME

@crazyoverkdrama I missed your post, I've just found it today when I backread.

The answer to your question is yes, the different Hanja characters for    ("Sun") have different meanings. The original Kim Sun have this Hanja character for her given name.

But there are actually 37 Hanja characters listed in Korean Family Registry for  the given name"Sun". Please see below.

先  仙  線  鮮  善  船  選  宣  旋  禪  扇  渲  瑄  愃  膳  墡  繕  琁  璿  璇  羨  嬋  銑  珗  嫙  僊  敾  煽  癬  腺  蘚  詵  跣  鐥  饍  蟬  洒

The current Kim Sun could easily have 嬋 for her given name, which means "pretty"; "lovely"; or "graceful"... or   琁 which means "pure jade"; "star".

The 善 Hanja in the Queen's name means "kindness", but in the character there is 羊 character, which means "goat" [in the sense of sacrifice and soft speech].

Hope that helps!

Edited by selenette
  • Like 11

@shamelessmiss

tumblr_oj8agqPkz41r5iugro5_540.gif

I have to apologize this didn't turn out as magical as I intended for it to be because I didn't have the time to add much effects ... I pulled this through days of no sleep and headaches and I didn't have much time :sweatingbullets: I promise to try to make it better but I didn't want to keep you waiting for long so here's what I have so far ^^ I need to step up my editing game lol 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

It turns out KES had rejected LDW when he had first asked them to cast him in this role, then he had gone to her face to face to convince her to take him for the GR role.

Previous write-ups mentioned that he had received a casting offer and considering it favorably, so this perspective is kind of surprising. What I know is that it's KES who had been rejected by Gong Yoo so many times before (it's easy to imagine him as DoTS' Big Boss) till she came up with this. But let's say this is indeed true and their press release back then was just a generic statement. Well, awwww. Honestly, there are other actors who fit the bill. Some that I can think of are Kang Dong Won (a family reunion and runway slayage with his Goblin cousin-in-law),  Song Jae Rim and Kim  Ji Han. But LDW sells the amnesiac reaper really well that this role makes people forget the abomination that is Blade Man. He suits this role, especially when he's melancholic. And that few-second appearance as king there at the end of the last ep succinctly shows why KES got convinced.

PS: It's really the front teeth, guys.

Spoiler

a.jpg

"I'm the shining one~ *flashes smile* You'll save up on light foundation because I already look deathly pale."

b.jpg

"Isn't this expression convincing enough, songsaengnim?" *signature puppy eyes x front teeth combo*

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=009&aid=0003867304

Someone had posted this article in the LDW thread. I just had to repost it here because it touched me a lot.

It turns out KES had rejected LDW when he had first asked them to cast him in this role, then he had gone to her face to face to convince her to take him for the GR role.

As I had mentioned before, I first became a fan because of his handsome looks, but what I find more and more is he himself as a person is more interesting than any other character he plays. 

Imagine having to convince someone who rejected you once to accept you, you have got to try 10 times as hard to win that person over. I am one year younger than LDW, and I have never had thick enough skin to win someone over who had not wanted me in the first place. He really is the underdog that deserves all the praise he is getting now.

I really do think he is doing an exceptional role as the Grim Reaper as an actor. In fact, a really perfect job, enough to discredit any worries KES writer nim might have had in the beginning.

If you watch his variety shows, you know that he started off with nothing, his family was very poor after their house burnt down, then he convinced his parents that he could earn enough money to support himself and his family through acting. He really did fight his way from the ground up. Honestly, his agency really sucks, they never fight for good roles for him and this one he had to fight tooth and nail to get this opportunity by himself.

I have never been more proud to be a LDW fan. Fighting LDW!

I share your sentiments, @Puppywookie. Like @joyezz said, his looks got me interested, his talents made me a big fan, and his personality, passion and his work ethic completely won me over.

He's had it tough in the recent years, with a string of dramas that didn't do well or not as well as expected. But instead of indulging in self-pity, he's fighting really hard, perhaps more than ever before. Maybe some actors, especially those who have starred in lead roles for so long, might think it's beneath them to fight for a secondary role, even if the role was interesting. But no, not Wookie. He was completely up for it even if it was a secondary role. His passion really shines through here and moves me deeply. He didn't take no for an answer even though she said that her idea of the Grim Reaper didn't fit with his image. He really pushed for it, impressed her, and landed the role. 

And the fact that he managed to change her mind even though his image didn't fit with her initial idea of the GR... wow. That must have been quite some convincing to do. I wonder if there was a certain scene at a screen test that hit her strongly and made her change her mind?

• Like 13

Hahahaha..the most bizarre chance that ET may have been Shin's horse is hilarious! I am up coughing from my bad cold and stumbling upon that statement made me laugh so much, my coughing almost choke me lol. 

On a less funnier note, I am surprised LDW wasn't initially accepted to his GR role. He is a great actor and i have loved him since My Girl era. I am happy he faced the writer and convinced her. I read that she tried to get GY for many of her dramas too. I am sure she understood the pain of wanting something so bad, that giving up was no option.

I am happy that LDW is the GR. I really cant think of who could have played the role the way LDW did.

Plus, the cast is great! 

Okay off to sleep i go lol. 

@rrmski hi chingu! Have we met before on a thread? Omo, your username sound so familiar to me. Did we meet on the Faith thread a long while back? That was the first thread I was quite active in. *Hugs* i am sending out a hug in case you are my old chingu from Faith. And if i got the wrong person, *hugs* anyways lol.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

Lee Dong Wook Almost Didn’t Make It As The Grim Reaper In tvN’s “Goblin”

Lee Dong Wook is arguably one of most enjoyable characters to watch in tvN’s “Goblin.”

No matter what scene he’s in, the grim reaper has chemistry with any character from the show. Whether it’s his bromance with Gong Yoo, the cute friendship with Kim Go Eun, or his bashful interactions with Yoo In Na, viewers are always entertained when Lee Dong Wook is onscreen.

While the public is well aware that “Goblin” screenwriter, Kim Eun Sook, spent five years trying to cast Gong Yoo in one of her dramas, it is not the case for Lee Dong Wook. As a matter of fact, Lee Dong Wook had to fight until the end to receive the role of the grim reaper.

Kim Eun Sook had originally rejected him because he didn’t fit with the image of the grim reaper she had in mind. Even after a representative from Lee Dong Wook’s agency tried to persuade her, Kim Eun Sook was not convinced. However, Lee Dong Wook was too smitten with the role to give up.

The representative was able to get Lee Dong Wook a one-on-one meeting with the “Goblin” writer, and he was able to successfully appeal to her during the meeting. Kim Eun Sook was finally moved and offered him the role of the grim reaper.

After receiving the role, Lee Dong Wook worked tirelessly to get ready by repeatedly analyzing and studying the script and his character. Because of his efforts, Lee Dong Wook is able to show viewers a new kind of grim reaper!

“Goblin” airs every Friday and Saturday. Catch the show on Viki exclusively in Europe!

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/04/lee-dong-wook-almost-didnt-make-grim-reaper-tvns-goblin/

Thankfully he got the GR role, since i think he had wonderful chemistry with Goblin, ET and SN, though i think he had best chemistry with the goblin LOL

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=009&aid=0003867304

Someone had posted this article in the LDW thread. I just had to repost it here because it touched me a lot.

As I had mentioned before, I first became a fan because of his handsome looks, but what I find more and more is he himself as a person is more interesting than any other character he plays. 

Imagine having to convince someone who rejected you once to accept you, you have got to try 10 times as hard to win that person over. I am one year younger than LDW, and I have never had thick enough skin to win someone over who had not wanted me in the first place. He really is the underdog that deserves all the praise he is getting now.

I really do think he is doing an exceptional role as the Grim Reaper as an actor. In fact, a really perfect job, enough to discredit any worries KES writer nim might have had in the beginning.

If you watch his variety shows, you know that he started off with nothing, his family was very poor after their house burnt down, then he convinced his parents that he could earn enough money to support himself and his family through acting. He really did fight his way from the ground up. Honestly, his agency really sucks, they never fight for good roles for him and this one he had to fight tooth and nail to get this opportunity by himself.

I have never been more proud to be a LDW fan. Fighting LDW!

Not that I don't believe whoever write this stuff. But I've been following goblin since the beginning too. And I remembered correctly at that time Gong Yoo confirmed his role right away while Kim Go Eun and Lee Dong Wook Still considering their offers. So it's KES that cast him. Never heard anything about her rejected him until now!! cos I was so happy when he accepted the offer cos I know in KES's drama second male lead is still stand out and received much love. 

• Like 6

First of all, i want to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you.. Let's hope for a better year to come :heart:

I watched last two episodes twice, simply because i love it. I always enjoy this drama from the beginning, and i love to catch the various emotions that appear in every act. yes, i like corny, i'm looking for corny in my life.

I have some questions in my mind.

Is Dok Hwa really the deity?? because in some sites people make a guess about that. I'm a little doubtful about this, because there's no sign, at all, that DH is the deity.

What will happen when KS finally realize GR is the reincarnation of the King? What will he do? we might know the answer on the next episode..

Is it only me that hope for the silly bromance to never end?? T___T i love to see those two doing silly things together, like do groceries, mind-battle with knives, and else.

I can't wait for the next episode >.<

• Like 8