[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

28 minutes ago, naritul said:

"By this snow scene still no kiss, I am flipping tables"

If there's still no kiss, it will be a disastrous one like this:

DREmMA.gif

we represent ourselves as our Goblin :glasses:

(sorry for the low quality Gif :sweatingbullets:)

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, crazyoverkdrama said:

LOL... You guys are simply amazing when it comes to GIFs.  At least here, all our SHIPS are sailing! No sinking please!!

Hahahahah! Thanks to this soompi forum, I just keep learning how to make one chingu :phew: you can also make one too at http://imgur.com/vidgif :) there's so many apps & websites to create a gif but imgur.com is the best one for me.. :)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, itzibitzispider said:

So she DID pack the plush dolls ... even thought KS told her she would not be allowed to take anything he bought in that store 

Lol i'm giggling like a idiot now. KS's sure too stingy for his wealth, especially towards ET

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, ChunSungIm said:

charming and handsome goblin 

*fainted*

30 minutes ago, LanA said:

Lol i'm giggling like a idiot now. KS's sure too stingy for his wealth, especially towards ET

It's related to the launching of plush doll guys, they wanna hipnotyze us. Lol

• Like 7

12 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hey there, @staygold --

I agree with your comments here:
1. “the King is your standard young ruler”, and here:
2. “the Queen seemed to have no grudges when she died. She died accepting the situation. She didn't seem to have any accounts to settle.”

But – you know this is coming, right? :) -- I can flip these and bolster the arguments for Team Reaper-is-the-king. 

For instance, the fact that the king IS “your standard young ruler,” is EXACTLY the reason why he matches Sunny’s character.  As of Episode 8, Sunny is opaque.  In her own way, she’s “standard” too… or should I say static? As @hushhh has pointed out, there hasn’t been any significant development in her character, and she remains one-dimensional. I don’t get her motivations, her inner thoughts, her ambitions.      

Instead, I get her quirks: like her sighings in Episode 8 as she counts the passers-by outside her restaurant, her vanity/aegyo in Episode 7 as she says “My face is my business card. It says it right there on my face: Pretty person.” (translation: dramabeans), and her frown every time the Reaper throws her off-guard with his actions and words. 

But what really sticks out for me about her is the double date in Episode 6. The Reaper gives her the ring that she wants, and in exchange, she TACKILY asks for DH’s phone number. Lol. That for me is a bad sign. First, if she is the Queen and she is getting her ring back, she should have felt something. But nada; zilch; zero. The camera even does a close-up.  

Second, she doesn’t wear it. Have you ever received a ring from a guy you like? If so, then you'll know, from experience, that when a girl receives a ring from a guy that she supposedly likes, she’ll gush, and then hurriedly try it on, admire it on her finger, and watch the stone sparkle.  But what does Sunny do? At first, she finds excuses not to accept it and then when she picks it up, she just keeps it in her fist. After all that fuss she did at the bridge about the ring! pwahahaha. I really expected her to show some interest. I wondered then if the ring was another “trophy” for her.

But worst of all, she shamelessly asks for DH’s number after being given the ring. Where are her manners? Sure, he’s a chaebol and he's her landlord but this guy in front of her has just given her a ring, a ring that was preciouuuussssss to him. Her behavior turned me off;  and it reminded me of that stereotypical Gangnam society gal. “Gimme this, gimme that, oppa”.  

Can you imagine the Queen going up to the King and asking him to allow a male royal attendant to meet with her, when he's already jealous of her brother? Or asking for a precious hairpin from the King and leaving it out in the rain? 

Perhaps, if we were at least shown some motivation or rationale to Sunny’s actions, it could mitigate her oddities. Like, if I knew that she grew up poor and unloved, I could justify her craving for admiration. But we get nothing.

In the same way, we get no explanation why the young king feels so threatened by Shin that he exiles him. If I knew why he was jealous, then I could side with him and say that Shin shouldn’t have provoked him by returning to the palace after he’s been ORDERED to go to kill himself....  

If I look beyond the pretty face of the actress Yoo Ina, I can see why her Sunny’s character doesn’t match the Queen’s character. She’s “your standard femme fatale” like the king was “your standard young ruler.” 

Maybe it will change in Episode 9…. Who knows?

As for the queen being passive and holding “no grudges,” @staygold that is also EXACTLY why her character fits the Reaper, too. :)  Did you read what I wrote about the Reaper and Fate? It was under the spoilers. She “dies accepting the situation,” because that’s the fate allocated for her. Just like how the Reaper passively accepts fate.  

There’s a scene I can think of, Episode 3 that relates to this. The Reaper was sulking in his room because Shin teased him that he could have been a murdered in his past life. He proceeded to write a list of "huge sins" that he could have committed in his past life. He wrote “unfilial child, disloyal, arrogant, incompetent, disadvantaged.”  Hahahaha. None of them were "huge" sins.  Later, he asked Shin which of those things he could NOT have possibly done and Shin said with alacrity, “Being unfilial” (or being a disobedient or stubborn son). Shin got him pegged right. The Reaper isn't the type to go against the rule and order.   

That’s why I wasn’t at all surprised when Sunny says in Episode 8 that she “prefers Sunny and dislikes the original, finding it too pure, as though there was a story behind it.” (source: dramabeans). 

THAT statement of hers can be understood in different ways, staygold. On one level it shows self-awareness: Sunny knows that she isn’t a passive, meek, and compliant woman or a goody-two shoes. Don’t you remember how she got rid of ET’s aunt by pretending to set goons on her?  She’s assertive; I actually prefer her that way

But on another level, it can be another hint to her identity. By claiming to dislike the “original” name, Kim Sun, the scriptwriter – through Sunny – is saying: take a good second look at this whole story again. Look at Sunny for what she really is and discover that she isn’t the sweet pure girl like the Queen. 

(Or maybe, just maybe, the queen herself isn't all that pure as she seemed to be in Episode 1, AND as we all think she is, staygold.... that's also a possible plot twist.)

As for the grudge between Shin and the king, hmmm…I think it’s gone now.  Go ahead and rewatch Episode 3 (Whether the hatred was for “the king, or god, or me – I’ve forgotten that”) and Episode 4 (he can’t be sad for a thousand years, and he’s accepted his fate and lives well.). Also, Episode 7 when DH said that his wrath had disappeared after watching an idol girl group. 

More importantly, remember this: in Episode 8, Shin wrote down both the King’s and Queen’s names on the lantern.  He couldn’t have lighted that lantern and wished EVIL to fall on the couple. No, staygold. That won’t reflect the teachings of Buddha for compassion, love, and wisdom.  

So there you go, @staygold.  I know this is all counter-intuitive for many people. It goes against the mainstream so it will take time to sink in…. like with Reply 1988, lol.  

But please don’t feel like you have to change your mind for me -- or anybody. Just stay as you are, staygold. 

Your analysis about Sunny is really good. While you have noticed Sunny's flaws (she is vain, greedy and superficial) in order to explain why Sunny could be the King, I see it differently. Yes, Sunny seems so different from the Queen, quite the opposite like f. ex. in one scene where she was walking with the plates on her shoulders, the viewer can notice how elegant, serious and determined she is with her training. She sees the soldier (King) and she is taken by surprise. So it was love at first sight for her as well. When the Queen was about to die, she accepted her fate without any grudge or regret, she only felt sorry. She also wears the green ring the King gave her and as such, it is clear that she loves her husband. We all know that it was the king's jealousy that caused her death.

So we have a Queen who loved her husband but also her brother, was not vain, rather strong and even courageous, nonetheless the King was jealous and doubted her love for him!! Despite her qualities, the king was doubting if her love for him was stronger than the love for her brother. He also believed that he loved her more than she did. The Queen had so many qualities and she failed to convince her husband that her love for him was strong and genuine. So if we follow the theory that GR is the king, then this makes sense why GR has to fall in love with Sunny who has so many flaws.... will he doubt her love again, Sunny who has so many flaws? She is doing the opposite of the Queen, yet GR doesn't seem to mind it. When GR gets his memories back, he will realise that the Queen did love him, even much more than he did love her.  She wanted to end the king's agony... she sacrified her life to make sure that the king would finally listen to KS. To me, after her death, he regretted his action because he was missing her. He is painting her picture all the time. So he regretted that he had killed her. What about KS? We see nothing. His remains are still there where they were left.

As conclusion maybe GR's fate is to realise how genuine the Queen's love for him was, how wrong it was for him to doubt her, how wrong it was to compare the feelings for her brother and for him. God's intention is to make the king realise how wrong he was about KS and to amend their relationship.

@selenette @Sarang21 @dramu51ch0c10ve @ucylucy @staygold @triplem    @ez_yan   

• Like 16