[Drama 2016-2017] Golden Pouch 황금주머니, Mon-Frid 20:55. Thanks for all your support!

0ly40

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, angelwingssf said:
10 hours ago, jayakris said:

My South Indian native tongue has the exact same structure as Korean (and curiously a bunch of common words too - the reason for the connection still not understood by language researchers), so that added more fun to the "detective style" of language learning I followed...

What native mother tongue are you referring to ?

It is Malayalam.  It is in the Dravidian family of Languages that is considered to be among the oldest languages in the world (along with proto-Korean, which also predates Sanskrit, Chinese, etc). The connection is not specifically with Malayalam but with the Dravidian family, in which Tamil is the original language. Malayalam, Kannada and Telugu are the languages that evolved from it, each of them spoken by 35 to 75 million people each. A completely different language family than Hindi and other Sanskrit-based languages predominant in India.  In my opinion, it is possible that original Korean might have fed the Dravidian languages (in some sort of ancient migration back into the Indian subcontinent) rather than the other way around - which I know would be quite a controversial opinion that even Koreans would disagree with.  Koreans are aware of some connections between India and Korea in the last couple of millennia -- King Suro's queen being from India is the most well-known legend, along with Buddhist monks' travels -- but that is all much later in history than the language connection I am talking about, which I think predates Sanskirt and Chinese dialects.

36 minutes ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

My favorite scene today as well was Seol Hwa's quiet support of Dr. Han

SeorHwa has been such a sweet character in this drama.  It is hard to imagine that the actress recently got such negative publicity as a bully, when some Kkatalk text messages between her and the youngest member of the Kpop band T-ara got released a whole six years after it happened.  As some here may know, the actress's twin sister was then a member of T-ara who had left the band saying the other members bullied her.  But the released text messages showed the reverse, with SH actress sounding like a bully, saying "you want me to scratch your face; shut up about my sister" - something like that. I guess she was only 17 or something then, but what a far cry from the character in the drama!  Not sure if this was discussed in earlier pages in this thread, but there were even rumors that she would be forced to leave this drama 2 months ago because of all the negative publicity.  She didn't, and I am glad.

@Ldy Gmerm & @jayakris  Thanks for your handy work..

I have to say one thing before MH and her mom have it be found out that Faker is a Fake I see eother one of them trying to harm Dr. Han again to try and keep MH married into riches thinking it would help put in back into memory loss again.. I do think this will help DR Han remember what his mom looks like as well him figuring out he's the real son.. 

Ouch, viper's patterned red and white house dress is so noisy, it's hurting my eyes. My goodness. With her pasty pallor, the high and closed neck with the ruffles and long sleeves...awwww. It's like they grabbed a cheap curtain material and turned it into a dress of sorts. Ooops, Seol Hwa is wearing something like that as well, but it's in light ocher and silver, so it's not too bold and an eyesore.

Are they following the HIPAA regulations? No names and only codes for the tests. But HIPAA is only for diseases and medicines, not for names. That's weird because a paternity test should include the name of the persons to be tested and includes the name of the child, the father and the mother.

So now Dr. Han knows that KPD is not his biological father and had ask KPD about it. The poor man's crazily defending himself and denying that viper has anything to do with him. While Dr. Han remembered about his encounter with the viper at his desk looking at the DNA results, he hasn't put the two together. His instinct is already there that viper has something to do with the switch, but he's frustrated that he cannot think who stands to gain from her machinations. He's already processing the past scenes with KPD - telling him he's not even his (SHm's) father, calling faker Shin Woo, etc. Still, he's slow to fit all the puzzle pieces.

Our brilliant surgeon is back to what he does best - doing successful surgeries. Faker learned that Dr. Han was supposed to donate part of his liver to KPD from JR and since he's doing the operation, it meant that he was not a match. So he rushed to the hospital and was seen by uri doctor. Whooo...the confrontation is soon to follow and the sand castle of NS, viper and her mother and resident a-hole is gonna crumble.

4 hours ago, jayakris said:

It is Malayalam.  It is in the Dravidian family of Languages that is considered to be among the oldest languages in the world (along with proto-Korean, which also predates Sanskrit, Chinese, etc). The connection is not specifically with Malayalam but with the Dravidian family, in which Tamil is the original language. Malayalam, Kannada and Telugu are the languages that evolved from it, each of them spoken by 35 to 75 million people each. A completely different language family than Hindi and other Sanskrit-based languages predominant in India.  In my opinion, it is possible that original Korean might have fed the Dravidian languages (in some sort of ancient migration back into the Indian subcontinent) rather than the other way around - which I know would be quite a controversial opinion that even Koreans would disagree with.  Koreans are aware of some connections between India and Korea in the last couple of millennia -- King Suro's queen being from India is the most well-known legend, along with Buddhist monks' travels -- but that is all much later in history than the language connection I am talking about, which I think predates Sanskirt and Chinese dialects.

My mother tongue is Kannada.  You might be right that some stuff in Korean is very similar to Kannada. But I don't see much of a derivation to Kannada from Tamil (both written and spoken).  There is a lot of resemblance between Kannada and Telugu ( script is very much the same).  I see resemblance between Tamil and Malayalam but the latter has a lot of more sanskrit derived vocab than Tamil.  (Just my observation).  Even though I know to speak a couple of these languages and read a couple of them, it is just my observation about what I have written.  

4 hours ago, jayakris said:

SeorHwa has been such a sweet character in this drama.  It is hard to imagine that the actress recently got such negative publicity as a bully, when some Kkatalk text messages between her and the youngest member of the Kpop band T-ara got released a whole six years after it happened

Well my first time seeing the actress playing SeolHwa was in the drama The Greatest Love and she was a little diva with a nasty attitude, so I can easily see her casted in a drama as an evil character. However, it does seem by what she wrote she was trying to defend her sister.

In this drama I wish she had a little more fire in her character.

1 hour ago, angelwingssf said:

My mother tongue is Kannada.  You might be right that some stuff in Korean is very similar to Kannada. But I don't see much of a derivation to Kannada from Tamil (both written and spoken).  There is a lot of resemblance between Kannada and Telugu ( script is very much the same).  I see resemblance between Tamil and Malayalam but the latter has a lot of more sanskrit derived vocab than Tamil.  (Just my observation).  Even though I know to speak a couple of these languages and read a couple of them, it is just my observation about what I have written.  

My wife is from Karnataka and can speak Kannada.  Just like Korean has borrowed 60 or 70% of the vocabulary from Chinese, the S.Indian languages (except Tamil) have all borrowed most of their vocabulary from Sanskrit.  But the base language structure and the basic words are all Tamil-like (like eat, sleep, walk, run, body parts, etc).  And it's those kinds of words that are sometime identical or similar to pure Korean words. Like "nal" for day in Korean, which is exactly the same word as in Tamil/Malayalam.  It exists in Dravidian languages but we use the Sanskrit's word "dina" more often, for instance. Like "thinnalu" for "eat" which has "theut" as the pure-Korean equivalent (not borrowed from Chinese), and 'thinnu" in Tamil.  It's just that S. Indians do not pay attention to identify which words are from Sanskrit and which are original from Tamil before Sanskrit arrived in S.India.  That's unlike Koreans, who actually have a very good grasp of what is original Korean and what is borrowed from Chinese.  They call it "sun uri mal" (pure our-talk, 순 우리 말 ).  That's because these are words without Chinese hanjas, and could not be written properly till King Sejong made a script for Korean, realizing that basic original Korean and it's sounds just do not fit the Chinese system at all... On the other hand, Dravidian language speakers simply assume that our languages are Sanskrit-based, while they simply aren't.  We took Sanskrit words and kept them intact, but the base words across S.Indian languages are different and they are variations of certain original proto-Dravidian words, many of them still existing Tamil.  By the way, change almost any "ha/ho/hi" sounds in Kannada to "pa/po/pi" to see the original Tamil word they evolved from.  Like, "havu" in Kannada and "paem" in Korean (for snake) are surprisingly from the same root word. "Havu" is the altered form of "pavu" initially in Kannada, which is the altered form of "pamp" in Tamil. The English and Sanskrit words "snake" and "naga" are from the same root but are totally unconnected to pamp or paem.  "Ear" is "chevi" in Tamil and Malayalam, but Kannada actually seems to still have the original form of the word, "kivi" ... In Korean, its is "kwi" !! ... On the other hand the Sanskrit words borrowed in Kannada and Malayalam are not altered/evolved forms.  They are exactly the same Sanskrit word - like "dina" (day) "nama" (name), etc - because they were all borrowed in the last 1000 to 1500 years,   The proto-Dravidian and pure-Korean words are from millennia earlier and they have got twisted both in Korea and in S. India.   How they were all connected 4000 to 10000 years ago, is anybody's guess.  It's a fascinating topic.

41 minutes ago, jayakris said:

My wife is from Karnataka and can speak Kannada.  Just like Korean has borrowed 60 or 70% of the vocabulary from Chinese, the S.Indian languages (except Tamil) have all borrowed most of their vocabulary from Sanskrit.  But the base language structure and the basic words are all Tamil-like (like eat, sleep, walk, run, body parts, etc).  And it's those kinds of words that are sometime identical. Like "nal" for day in Korean, which is exactly the same word in Tamil.  It exists in Dravidian languages but we use the Sanskrit's word "dina" more often, for instance. Like "thinnalu" for "eat" which has "theut" as the pure-Korean equivalent (not borrowed from Chinese), and 'thinnu" in Tamil.  It's just that S. Indians do not pay attention to identify which words are from Sanskrit and which are original from Tamil before Sanskrit arrived in S.India.  That's unlike Koreans, who actually have a very good grasp of what is original Korean and what is borrowed from Chinese.  They call it "sun uri mal" (pure our-talk, 순 우리 말 ).  That's because these are words without Chinese hanjas, and could not be written properly till King Sejong made a script for Korean, realizing that basic original Korean and it's sounds just do not fit the Chinese system at all... On the other hand, Dravidian language speakers simply assume that our languages are Sanskrit-based, while they simply aren't.  We took Sanskrit words and kept them intact, but the base words across S.Indian languages are different and they are variations of certain original proto-Dravidian words, many of them still existing Tamil.  By the way, change almost any "ha/ho/hi" sounds in Kannada to "pa/po/pi" to see the original Tamil word they evolved from.  Like, "havu" in Kannada and "paem" in Korean (for snake) are surprisingly from the same root word. "Havu" is the altered form of "pavu" initially in Kannada, which is the altered from "pamp" in Tamil. The English and Sanskrit words "snake" and "naga" are from the sameroot but totally independent words.  "Ear" is "chevi" in Tamil and Malayalam, but Kannada actually seems to still have the original form of the word, "kivi" ... In Korean, its is "kwi" !! ... On the other hand the Sanskrit words borrowed in Kannada and Malayalam are not altered/evolved forms.  They are exactly the same Sanskrit word - like "dina" (day) "nama" (name), etc - because they were all borrowed in the last 1000 to 1500 years,   The proto-Dravidian and pure-Korean words are from millennia earlier and they have got twisted both in Korea and in S. India.   How they were all connected 4000 to 10000 years ago, is anybody's guess.  It's a fascinating topic.

Thank you for elaborating it.  I think when I first watched a Korean drama, I was enticed with the language.  I have heard languages from Chinese, Vietnemese, philiphino, thai countries, but not much of Korean before.  Once I started watching, the words sounded familiar.  Thank you for dwelling into the depths of language origination.  I did not formally learn my mother tongue, but just speaking and writing things at home.  So, we were not taught the root words or may be we were and since it was not emphasized enough, it did not stick in.  Very interesting   I should look deeper into it.  

14 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

I have heard languages from Chinese, Vietnemese, philiphino, thai countries, but not much of Korean before.  Once I started watching, the words sounded familiar.

What's interesting is that I don't think languages like Thai, Vietnamese, Philippino, have any connectin with S. Indian languages (but may have some connection with the later Indian language, Sanskrit).  But Korean connects to S. Indian languages, but not at all to Sanskrit.  Weird, it would seem, considering the distance between Korea and S. India.  Like later civilizations pushing some original language that existed in Asia to essentially two sea-locked corners of the Asian continent!  That's about the only explanation I can think of!

I think we hijacked the thread :) ...  Sorry, everybody....

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

Well my first time seeing the actress playing SeolHwa was in the drama The Greatest Love and she was a little diva with a nasty attitude, so I can easily see her casted in a drama as an evil character. However, it does seem by what she wrote she was trying to defend her sister.

In this drama I wish she had a little more fire in her character.

I agree.  But then again, it isn't like she is shown as a total push-over either.  She does speak often with a bit of spunk to viper, unlike some of the other overly goody-goody young female characters we have seen in dramas.  But the writer hasn't used her to do anything too spunky lately, though she was a bigger part of the story development in the earlier episodes.  I actually wonder if they chose to reduce her parts a bit few weeks ago, out of a fear that she might be forced to leave the show.  Maybe not.  The remaining story lines have a lot to do with her and her real mother, once the real Jun Sang is fully revealed.

After watching with subs, I can say again that this was a very satisfying episode. Yes, Dr. Han is finally getting a clue. However, I think he should have come to the conclusion that it was JS sooner based on the fact that his fake father was clinging to fake JS in the parking garage. I have to wonder how the Chairman will find out abut JS. I don't see Dr. Han telling him.  However, it wouldn't surprise me of the Chairman or son overhear a conversation between Dr. Han and JS.

I was struck by what JS said to NS: "Don't wish for SH and SH's happiness if you do not want to regret it later."  That was his answer to her reminder that he is being too greedy wanting  the position of the president of the foundation.  I read his words as the sign that he already understands that SH/f and SH/m's happiness depends on the secret of his own identity.  If NS wants her daughter to be happy she should not push him too much. If his identity is revealed, her daughter will be the one to suffer.   And the way he looked at SH through the glass door by the operation room tells me he still loves her.  He is fighting to keep his status. What if it's because his real goal is to let both SHs to marry  and only after that let it all go ?  I know it's another monkey wrench, but still ... ?

I think the most important thing for Dr. Han will be finding out that his mother did not abandon him but died in that fire after she got him to safety. Sure he will be happy to find out that he does have a father and a grandmother as well as a half brother but his thought that his mother abandoned him is very important to him. Also for him he does not need the trappings of wealth or the name because he is secure in himself.

I too think that Faker was warning NS that she better hope he is never exposed or gets to keep that place as her daughter would suffer. OF course NS has no clue what he is talking about because she has no idea that Dr. Han is the real JS. It's going to be very funny how she reacts to that news. Will she still want to get Keep JJ's son from coming home (you bet she will.. )? Simply because to allow him to find his family exposes the fake. Also it ruins Seol Hwa's chance once again. OF course in the end Dr. Han will not care about that and the Yoon's will find out the hard way about trying to dictate to him.

It all boils down to NS being at fault. She has ruined a lot of people with her greed and lies. She stated this mess and her daughter will be caught up in it as will Dr. Han and Papa G. I want to see her face when she realizes how much of a evil monster MH is and knows all her secrets.

Watched Ep 101 w/Eng subs, cannot determine WTH is happening!!!

Looks like a whole-lotta wheel spinning to burn episodes to me.  But what would I know, only watched hundreds of these damn things. 

Liver surgery is highly-specialized, something about what to cut and when...  Heart surgery is highly specialized...  BUT in KDRAMA, a guy can just start cutting someone open and operate.  This isn't boil-lancing, this is a very delicate procedure.  And you need to be on staff, and insured, and NOT A HEART SURGEON.  WHAT ever!  Taking offense to this craziness and not the DNA switching / baby switching / birth secret / back-forth between the money lender and the dumpling maker... WHY would I draw the line at fake surgery?  

Obviously time to double my meds yet again.  

3 hours ago, ira2a said:

I was struck by what JS said to NS: "Don't wish for SH and SH's happiness if you do not want to regret it later."

Exactly, as much as we want DrHan to find out about his birthright, he gets closer to not having his dream realised. The couple Seolhwa/DrHan will have to be bold enough to go against the adults otherwise. In the preview, he suspected that fake JS must have a hand ( with MH) to switch the DNA results. The big question of 'why'  when known to him isn't going to be a welcoming answer. As much as he chided fake JS much earlier regarding the fact that he will not get the blessing to marry Seolhwa, he would face the same objection. As in DrHan case, he is the real son. Even Seolhwa was saying to KPD to wake up and tell DrHan 'why he lied' about being the father. Well, don't wish too hard .... it would be an unpleasant surprise...!!

@watchumlots Regarding the liver operation, I have to disregard the 'validity' of the technical aspects of the procedure. Is DrHan also a staff of Daehan Hospital too...? Whatever, he did the transplant .... what a big liver ...??? This only happens in kdrama dear . So now we wait for KPD to squeal the truth..? ..... hmmmm... 

Seok Hoon is a surgeon. Maybe a general surgeon rather than a cardiothoracic surgeon. Whatever...the writer really did not do that much research. He was not a doctor at Daehan Hospital. He stopped being one after the malpractice issue. He's just coordinating with them regarding the conduct of the medical foundation. Shocked that he was called to do the surgery and like @watchumlots mentioned, liver transplant surgery is a very delicate procedure. Double shocked by the size of the liver as well. When I saw it, I said to myself, oooh, it that pig or cow liver?

Some sleuthing needs to be done here. Dr. Han can run tests on faker, Ji Sang and KPD. He doesn't have to guess. He needs hard facts. He cannot get the name of the person who ordered the second paternity test, the result of which was given to him by the viper right in front of his eyes. He has to do things only he can do as a doctor.

Hope this issue will soon be closed so we can move on because there are still too many problems to solve. There aren't that many episodes left. Give the secondary players the chance to contribute to the resolution of other issues - being at the right place at the right time to witness/overhear (and hopefully not forget to record the convo or make a video with their smartphone), motor mouth mama unwittingly revealing facts within DN and MK's earshot, Papa Geum hearing KPD talking about faker being his real son and taking the real Joon Sang's persona, role of viper in recent events. JR needing some blood transfusion and with a rare blood type compatible only with Seok Hoon, etc.

Archived