[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

8 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Ya her own voice.

I dont know if they still use the same names. But can see the empress imprisoned is her aunt. Perhaps different crime (here the emperor Yongzheng said she tried to grab power...which sound worse than killing off his 1st wife and killing his unborn children).

And that older lady as "mother" of Hongli (still 4th prince in ep 1) would be Zhenhuan. In ep 2, became dowager empress.

I think Vivian Wu is Zhen Huan? Hongli was brought up by her but Zhen Huan is not his mother. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Preview for ep 1 and 2.

Hongli choosing wife...initially the female lead as 1st wife (Fuca as 2nd) but the emperor arrived to say the Empress tried to snatch power and been imprisoned thus her niece couldn't be 1st wife.

On a random note, what is the gift he gives Ruyi in this preview? I've always seen it in period dramas but I never know what it's used for. :sweat_smile:

32 minutes ago, Sobayaki said:

On a random note, what is the gift he gives Ruyi in this preview? I've always seen it in period dramas but I never know what it's used for. :sweat_smile:

Since I studied Chinese history, I love little details relating to historical customs and traditions. The gift he gives her is called a Ruyi scepter, used for ceremonial symbolism. You can read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruyi_(scepter) 

It could be one of those intentional Chinese phonetic ‘puns’ since scepter spelling means “as you desire or wish”. My Chinese isn’t good enough to know what the characters of 如懿 Ruyi as in her name means.

22 hours ago, dejun said:

@Alila Nguyen At least when this series is aired on TV, it will piqued the interest of viewers to read the real history.  By not approving for it to air on TV is not wise move in terms of education of Chinese citizens.

@ruyispalace1 Am curious how the writer going to explain her fallout with the Emperor.  She seem to be with him most of the time in history.  Ruyi's history was truly interesting to me.  I have read the history and was intrigue by her part with Qian Long. :blush:

wasnt she the longest serving empress of that dynasty as well.

4 hours ago, BellyButton said:

Poor Ruyi is always depicted as mean. It is refreshing  to flip the coin for a change. Also Qianlong was not as faultless as often seen in other dramas. 

I mean during that Era who was not mean sometimes?

We dont know much about The Step Empress to really judge if she was either. 

On 8/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, dejun said:

@Alila Nguyen At least when this series is aired on TV, it will piqued the interest of viewers to read the real history.  By not approving for it to air on TV is not wise move in terms of education of Chinese citizens.

@ruyispalace1 Am curious how the writer going to explain her fallout with the Emperor.  She seem to be with him most of the time in history.  Ruyi's history was truly interesting to me.  I have read the history and was intrigue by her part with Qian Long. :blush:

Haha I’m not doubting it, but China has always been so strict and really want to mould the way people’s thinking. So twisting history isn’t what they want.

i myself believe history is written by winners. History is never as true as they made to be believed! If you are feeling sorry for Ruyi, look at Jang Ok Jung, well known for being evil! She might have been, but in the end, how they get rid of her? Blaming her for witchcraft, which we all know are bogus, and by the sound of it, even the history doesn’t seem to hide the fact that it was just a reason to get rid of her. So I don’t trust one bit about her based on the Korean recorded history lol (sorry koreans :( love your culture and what’s not but this bit of history is just Uhm.... lol) 

And to be fair, living during that time, where life and death is just a flip of a hand, if you are not a bit mean, a bit calculated, you won’t get far!

anyway, I do want to see how they explain the fall out, since legend of Yanxi gave a pretty ordinary explanation, she’s evil, the emperor found out, the end. If she was that evil, he could just get rid of her, but he didn’t, instead he let her live but alone and neglected. So either the emperor is just as twisted or there is something a lot deeper, that death is too easy! Also say what you will but she has been with him before he was even an emperor, so it was not like she needs to fight for his affections, because they had that time together before his harem got crowded.

^Surely one day after it has all been Eng subbed, I will tackle this drama just purely for how they will deal with her losing the emperor’s favor and being demoted and banished. I have read some historical theories but none have been proven yet. Most popular one is that they argued and she cut her hair to protest (which is like wishing death to the emperor back in those time - major breach of etiquette) or that she was framed. Then there are tons of speculations re if she was evil or he was cruel and if she died of a broken heart etc. There aren’t too many historical books about her in English, I have to keep looking. 

4 minutes ago, stella77 said:

^Surely one day after it has all been Eng subbed, I will tackle this drama just purely for how they will deal with her losing the emperor’s favor and being demoted and banished. I have read some historical theories but none have been proven yet. Most popular one is that they argued and she cut her hair to protest (which is like wishing death to the emperor back in those time - major breach of etiquette) or that she was framed. Then there are tons of speculations re if she was evil or he was cruel and if she died of a broken heart etc. There aren’t too many historical books about her in English, I have to keep looking. 

Yea, I’m not buying the cutting her hair either lol. It’s like Jang ok jung’s witchcraft lol. I know people back then is not very bright, but I would think a 20yrs plus marriage should be able to endure some hair loss xD

32 minutes ago, Alila Nguyen said:

i myself believe history is written by winners. History is never as true as they made to be believed! If you are feeling sorry for Ruyi, look at Jang Ok Jung, well known for being evil! She might have been, but in the end, how they get rid of her? Blaming her for witchcraft, which we all know are bogus, and by the sound of it, even the history doesn’t seem to hide the fact that it was just a reason to get rid of her. 

anyway, I do want to see how they explain the fall out, since legend of Yanxi gave a pretty ordinary explanation, she’s evil, the emperor found out, the end. If she was that evil, he could just get rid of her, but he didn’t, instead he let her live but alone and neglected. So either the emperor is just as twisted or there is something a lot deeper, that death is too easy! 

Nothing but TRUTH!!! I’ve always said, history favours those who last long enough to manipulate it. Yeah, Jang Ok Jung is quite a similar tragic comparison. 

Also, with how they fallout :

Spoiler

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

15 minutes ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Yea, I’m not buying the cutting her hair either lol. It’s like Jang ok jung’s witchcraft lol. I know people back then is not very bright, but I would think a 20yrs plus marriage should be able to endure some hair loss xD

Yes, it is hard to believe unless it was like an act of total defiant or her totally going against the emperor and husband. I can see it - husband and wives can change both personality and dynamic wise over the course of their marriage without the complications of politics, him being emperor with a harlem too. Complicated doesn’t even begin to cover their relationship. Ok going back to lurk mode - sorry history geek here. 

Btw don't be surprised by a few changes for Ling Consort. The drama have changed her surname Wei and also the char Ling to other chars/letters that sound alike. 魏 -> 卫 and 令 -> 炩. I won't elaborate why....chinese wiki got mentioned.

Just don't misunderstand typo error on screen.

42 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Btw don't be surprised by a few changes for Ling Consort. The drama have changed her surname Wei and also the char Ling to other chars/letters that sound alike. 魏 -> 卫 and 令 -> 炩. I won't elaborate why....chinese wiki got mentioned.

Just don't misunderstand typo error on screen.

Yeah I noticed that with Gao Xiyue, who is Gao Guifèi in “Yanxi” completely different prefix here (didn’t quite catch it). 

1 hour ago, ruyispalace1 said:

Yeah I noticed that with Gao Xiyue, who is Gao Guifèi in “Yanxi” completely different prefix here (didn’t quite catch it). 

U mean her last 2 chars? ya, it's different. 高晞月 (Gao Xi Yue) vs 高宁馨 (Gao Ning Xin) in Yanxi. Most of the consorts' names are different btw these 2 dramas.

Not that important b'cos in history records, their names are not recorded. Only their surname (and each status eg XXX gui ren , XXX royal consort etc) are. So different writers/scriptwriters might invent different names. 

I mention Ling Consort b'cos her surname and consort name are slightly changed. It's unusual.

10 hours ago, BellyButton said:

Poor Ruyi is always depicted as mean. It is refreshing  to flip the coin for a change. Also Qianlong was not as faultless as often seen in other dramas. 

So great to have you back @BellyButton.   :)

Being new to CDrama, I have only seen her story told in "The Empress of China" with Fan BingBing and Aarif Rahman. (which I loved)

Thank you for the new trailers @dejun, and @Cedric Ong

7 hours ago, stella77 said:

Since I studied Chinese history, I love little details relating to historical customs and traditions. The gift he gives her is called a Ruyi scepter, used for ceremonial symbolism. You can read more here:

Thank you @stella77

It is not easy to survive as favourite in the palace. Look at those eyes when Hongli gave Ruyi the gift. I love the initial innocent and sincere love between both of them.  Always understanding and supportive. Like they say ... the honeymoon phase of a relationship.

I agree with you gals. No one really knows what happened which made the Emperor banish Ruyi to cold palace.  Her Aunt's predicament is telling. Even as Empress, fortune can change overnight

6 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Haha I’m not doubting it, but China has always been so strict and really want to mould the way people’s thinking. So twisting history isn’t what they want.

i myself believe history is written by winners. History is never as true as they made to be believed! If you are feeling sorry for Ruyi, look at Jang Ok Jung, well known for being evil! She might have been, but in the end, how they get rid of her? Blaming her for witchcraft, which we all know are bogus, and by the sound of it, even the history doesn’t seem to hide the fact that it was just a reason to get rid of her. So I don’t trust one bit about her based on the Korean recorded history lol (sorry koreans :( love your culture and what’s not but this bit of history is just Uhm.... lol) 

And to be fair, living during that time, where life and death is just a flip of a hand, if you are not a bit mean, a bit calculated, you won’t get far!

anyway, I do want to see how they explain the fall out, since legend of Yanxi gave a pretty ordinary explanation, she’s evil, the emperor found out, the end. If she was that evil, he could just get rid of her, but he didn’t, instead he let her live but alone and neglected. So either the emperor is just as twisted or there is something a lot deeper, that death is too easy! Also say what you will but she has been with him before he was even an emperor, so it was not like she needs to fight for his affections, because they had that time together before his harem got crowded.

Exactly what i was thinking history always favors the winner's and the emperor could have cut stuff and made Ruyi look bad etc... 

I think the argument that she was evil is a boring argument honestly if she was evil why was she the longest serving empress of that reign.. did the emperor really not know anything?

6 hours ago, stella77 said:

I just think it a protest and basically telling him to kill her.

5 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

5 hours ago, ruyispalace1 said:

Nothing but TRUTH!!! I’ve always said, history favours those who last long enough to manipulate it. Yeah, Jang Ok Jung is quite a similar tragic comparison. 

Also, with how they fallout :

Hide contents

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

Regarding your spoiler if that happens then i understand why should be feel betrayed did the hair cutting in protest. 

Archived