[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, dejun said:

The show actually skipped a few years from one scene to another from Prince Hong Li's marriage to Lady Qing Ling and Lady Gao to the sudden death of Emperor Yong Zheng.  I came to know of the skip when Lady Fuca mentioned she has a little prince later. 

Prince Hong Li should be coronated after the official mourning for Emperor Yong Zheng was over not the observance of 3 years mourning.  For the Chinese saying quote, "A country cannot be without its ruler for even a single day."

@dejun, thank you for answering.... yes, I thought the country could not be without a coronated Emperor; that is why I thought it was so strange...

40090456_741945826154119_620562474649151

40044413_741945819487453_387440360445444

I like the raspy voice. Kind of reminds me of the American actress Lauren Bacall.

I jumped ahead (only up to episode 6 with english subs) and watched through episode 14 w/o subs. I really enjoy this drama. Especially, and as usual for me, in C-historic dramas, I adore seeing the gorgeous fabrics and the head pieces and  hair ornaments and jewelry.  Love RuYi's taste in clothes, so outstanding compared to the  over the top flowery extravagant choices of the other wives.  So painful to see how she endures a life standing by as he makes love to other women. 

I think it is after the six year time time jump that she mentions they were together for 35 days.  Ouch.5410.png?w=150&h=150

I haven't watched the subbed version yet. But was told to be mindful of little details which is telling of the future and their characters.  Also as Cassie has posted earlier, director Wang  Jun said that this drama is not the usual palace scheming drama. If there are scheming it is due to the the environment ie too many women. :P 

The heart of the drama is about the relationship between Ruyi and Qianlong. Why and how it progresses to the end? What are the causes? In the novel, the story begins with Qianlong's coronation. The director added the scenes when both were young to enable us to understand the past in order to understand the future. Like they say ... To understand the future you need to know the past .. men or country.

5 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I like the raspy voice. Kind of reminds me of the American actress Lauren Bacall.

I jumped ahead (only up to episode 6 with english subs) and watched through episode 14 w/o subs. I really enjoy this drama. Especially, and as usual for me, in C-historic dramas, I adore seeing the gorgeous fabrics and the head pieces and  hair ornaments and jewelry.  Love RuYi's taste in clothes, so outstanding compared to the  over the top flowery extravagant choices of the other wives.  So painful to see how she endures a life standing by as he makes love to other women. 

I think it is after the six year time time jump that she mentions they were together for 35 days.  Ouch.5410.png?w=150&h=150

Indeed. I cannot imagine how to watch someone I love make love to someone  else  unless I do not love him which is the case for Zheng Xuan the Empress Dowager.  

7 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I like their details too. And how they make them wear slightly more colourful costume in the beginning to show their youth as compare to later when they all became more matured. 

Yeah, knowing your man loves you but continually flirting and being flirted by other women is torturing.. Women in Palace need to have high EQ to survive. :neutral:

Spoiler

Regarding the 35 days is actually after Ruyi’s aunt died, Empress Dowager order Ruyi to be confined to show respect for her aunt. Meaning no one can go see her and she can’t meet Qianlong for 3 years. Luckily she’s smart and with the help of Hailan manage to sneak out and meet Qianlong. The first thing Qianlong ask her is how long have we not met? Ruyi answered 35 days :wub: Thats after Qianlong coronation. 

1 hour ago, BellyButton said:

I haven't watched the subbed version yet. But was told to be mindful of little details which is telling of the future and their characters.  Also as Cassie has posted earlier, director Wang  Jun said that this drama is not the usual palace scheming drama. If there are scheming it is due to the the environment ie too many women. :P 

The heart of the drama is about the relationship between Ruyi and Qianlong. Why and how it progresses to the end? What are the causes? In the novel, the story begins with Qianlong's coronation. The director added the scenes when both were young to enable us to understand the past in order to understand the future. Like they say ... To understand the future you need to know the past .. men or country.

I appreciate that beginning part as it as it makes audience get more into their relationship. Knowing how they were makes the later part more heart wrenching I guess :tounge_xd:

Hi Ruyi Soompiers,

Am getting more excited as I continue to watch more eps.  Just like @maddymappo I wanted to continue watching the unsub eps so try to restrain myself from doing so.

Ep 7

Spoiler

Qian Long cleverly manoeuvred the whole situation into Hai Lan's advantage to rescue Ruyi.  He did so to protect Ruyi for he saw through Noble Consort Gao's scheme.  Hai Lan's 2nd maid who confessed she stole the scarlet coal was put to death for a purpose although it seems too harsh in today's standard.  That was to warn those who wickedly schemed the consequences of victimising the innocent through deception and put an end to it.

As can be seen the gap between master and servant is wide.  Though the master wickedly scheme but she wasn't punish for wrongdoing.  Today's law etiquettes are better and fair.

It's so bad of Queen Mother Dowager for stopping Qian Long from spending more time with Ruyi just because of her background.  As a result, he visits her less just to be fair to others.  There seem to be no problem when it comes to the new concubine where Qian Long can visit as frequent as he can.  The injustice for the two lovebirds! :crazy:

Emperor.jpeg

Uly.jpeg

Ruyi Versus Yanxi and the Character Relationships Between Your Favorite Qing Dynasty Dramas

Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace and Story of Yanxi Palace are two dramas currently airing that are about Emperor Qianlong and his inner court. The story is told from very different perspectives with the heroine in one playing the villain in the other.

The rest of the story click on source blog.

Credits to source: Dramapanda blog

The writer talked about the actors and actresses who played the same characters of 3 dramas including My Fair Princess (Princess Pearl series).  I would like to add that the hated Empress (Ruyi) did showed that she loved Qian Long though she was a baddie in My Fair Princess drama.  So it seemed like the Ruyi in history did loved Qian Long for real.

@dejun I think Qianlong is a ‘popular’ emperor because of his suave looks and his way with ladies. History say he is good with ladies. So I doubt any of his concubines or empresses don’t love him. Hate him because of too love him I can understand haha!  

Spoiler

And in episode 7, Qianlong is being the smart guy here. He sees through everything and solve everything in the background. Poor the maid (though she does kinda deserves it for betraying her master) who is the only one that loses in this fight. 

But in this scene, it shows that not everything can get fair treatment. It feels more realistic and kinda build up that tension as you continue to watch Lolz..  Comparing to Yanxi.. seems like everything YingLuo plan goes according to her plan.. whoever she want to punish get punished :joy:

21 minutes ago, Phada said:

can someone tell me what the airing schedule is like? i'm waiting for ep 15 to come out

2 episodes per day (Mon-Thurs). 

Edit: VIP at Tencent get to see 6 more extra episodes on the first day. So total episodes released are 14. So tonight should have episode 15 & 16. 

@cassiemissy  In the harem, not everything can go as planned just like in life too.  Only fiction will portrayed that things can go according to what you want in the hands of the writer's pen. :D

Is Yanxi worth watching?  I didn't finish Zeng Huan so is Yanxi similar to that?  I like the fact that Ruyi's Love is from different perspective.

Ruyi's Love's airing time can only be subscribed to each country's time zone and Tencent broadcast from China whereas Viki and Dramafever from US.

3 minutes ago, dejun said:

@cassiemissy  In the harem, not everything can go as planned just like in life too.  Only fiction will portrayed that things can go according to what you want in the hands of the writer's pen. :D

Is Yanxi worth watching?  I didn't finish Zeng Huan so is Yanxi similar to that?  I like the fact that Ruyi's Love is from different perspective.

Ruyi's Love's airing time can only be subscribed to each country's time zone and Tencent broadcast from China whereas Viki and Dramafever from US.

i never finished secret of the three kingdom's does it have a good ending. 

@dejun  Indeed. In dramas, goodness always triumphed over evil but in reality, evil can win. :(.

I too like the idea that Ruyi has a different focus. If it is like Zheng Zhuan, there is nothing new or different to look forward too. Just like most love and revenge dramas... I love you You do not love me I take revenge Everyone suffer Everyone live happily ever after. In reality, how many live happily ever after? Time and circumstances always take heavy toil on relationships. 

3 hours ago, Wotad said:

i never finished secret of the three kingdom's does it have a good ending. 

Yes it does.  Enjoyed this drama due to good performance of the cast and great props.  It has similar vibe as The Great Revival but not as intense.

Ruyi story brings Qing dynasty period to life and take the audience to experience what is it like living in this time period.  I truly enjoy the experience although slow moving but fascinating nonetheless. :grin:

@dejun I agree. Pace is a little slower than Yanxi IMO but I like Ruyi’s storyline. It really show the details and daily struggle of the palace ladies. I never watch ZhenHuan so I’m not sure if it’s the same as Yanxi? To me Yanxi is yet another typical concubines fighting drama :P I don’t mind watching Yanxi, in fact I’m currently watching it as well since it’s airing here (TVB version) but the plot is not very surprising. 

I like Ruyi’s twist and plot, though moving slowly it was telling a tale, a tale that answer questions like why they (the concubines) fight, why do they bad mouth each other etc etc. 

And yeah, life in the palace is like a warrior in the ancient Roman coliseum.. either fight till you die or die straightaway :joy:

Archived