[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

12 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I just read that in Wikipedia. How sad for Ruyi :(. I wondered why she lost favored and cast aside so badly. He treated her like trash after being done with her!!! So sad that history does not have much record on her and they dont even know her real name??? Very interesting indeed!!! I'm intrigued to see how they will played out their story in the drama.

Also, are Wallace and Zhou Xun voice read dubbed by them?

Im going to guess she was insulted or maybe framed and he realised that but could not really change it but even then it makes no sense because she was still buried poorly . 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV Series on Royal Romances Hits Screens

By Xu Fan | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2018-08-21 16:41

5b7bd048a310add1c697e75a.jpeg

Wallace Huo and Zhou Xun respectively star an emperor and his queen in the TV series Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

One of the most anticipated TV series of the summer, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace has debuted in 18 countries and regions, including the United States, Canada and Australia, on Aug 20.

For more of the article please click on source news.

Credits to China Daily USA: Source

• The theme song is sung by Sandy Lam from Hong Kong and Zhang Liangying from China. :blush:

Battle of the Palace series

ST_20180821_LIFZHOU_4222919.jpg?itok=yye

Chinese actress Zhou Xun plays second Empress Consort Ulanara in Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace.

PUBLISHED AUG 21, 2018, 5:00 AM SGT

HONG KONG • A battle royal appears to be brewing between two Chinese palace intrigue dramas as Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace began airing on online platform Tencent Video yesterday.

Rest of the article at source news.

Credits to The Strait Times Singapore: Source

For those who are interested in the royal jewelry of Qing dynasty, you can check out below.

Royal Style: The jewelry of the Qing court

Source: CGTN News

@rosierosie Zhou Sun's voice was not subbed. Wallace's was. Seems that they think Wallace has Taiwanese accent

@Wotad I want to know why she was not given a decent burial befitting a queen. Many theories. Let us see what this dramas theory is.

Where are you all watching from? I am watching the raw you tube hence I do not understand 95% of what they are talking about. Have to rely on expressions.

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

I just read that in Wikipedia. How sad for Ruyi :(. I wondered why she lost favored and cast aside so badly. He treated her like trash after being done with her!!! So sad that history does not have much record on her and they dont even know her real name??? Very interesting indeed!!! I'm intrigued to see how they will played out their story in the drama.

Also, are Wallace and Zhou Xun voice read dubbed by them?

Wallace's voice is dubbed but Zhou Xun is using her own voice.

Yeah, it's really sad why she lost favoured all of sudden. Unless she did something unforgivable, it's not nice of the Emperor to cast away his Empress just like that. 

45 minutes ago, BellyButton said:

@rosierosie Zhou Sun's voice was not subbed. Wallace's was. Seems that they think Wallace has Taiwanese accent

@Wotad I want to know why she was not given a decent burial befitting a queen. Many theories. Let us see what this dramas theory is.

Where are you all watching from? I am watching the raw you tube hence I do not understand 95% of what they are talking about. Have to rely on expressions.

Viki has subs so im watching there. 

43 minutes ago, cassiemissy said:

Wallace's voice is dubbed but Zhou Xun is using her own voice.

Yeah, it's really sad why she lost favoured all of sudden. Unless she did something unforgivable, it's not nice of the Emperor to cast away his Empress just like that. 

She cut her hair i believe that 100% happened but we dont know why. 

This is what someone said above which could be a thing and i could understand why she was so insulted maybe she was like fk it if you really like her then just kill me and make her empress. 

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

31 minutes ago, dejun said:

@BellyButton I haven't watch the series yet.  I'm waiting for english subs.  If I start watching I only understand 50% so I prefer to watch it with subs where I can understand completely. :grin: 

@cassiemissy What you said is so true.  What Ruyi did must be beyond redemption.

:heart:

Photo credits to A Virtual Voyage

viki has 2 eps on 92% only the lyrics to songs not present. 

Cutting the hair is beyond redemption i bet she was loving favor before that then what happened above took place so she was so hurt and maybe just wanted to die? 

Is cutting of the hair wishing for his death or something? 

32 minutes ago, Wotad said:

She cut her hair i believe that 100% happened but we dont know why. 

This is what someone said above which could be a thing and i could understand why she was so insulted maybe she was like fk it if you really like her then just kill me and make her empress. 

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

Cutting the hair is beyond redemption i bet she was loving favor before that then what happened above took place so she was so hurt and maybe just wanted to die? 

Is cutting of the hair wishing for his death or something? 

She cut her hair because she was heartbroken, she finally came to term with the fact that Qian Long was no longer her beloved Hongli anymore. Their relationship started to unravel spectacularly over the years after she became the Empress (both by external forces and by the problems within the relationship itself), I guess she just reached the breaking point and decided to cut her hair. In those days, a woman cutting her hair is extremely disrespectful, she even did it right to the Emperor's face. As the Empress, she couldn't just walk away, she did the only thing she can to break it off with Qian Long while being fully awared of the consequences.

I'm currently obsessed with Yanxi Palace and can't quite get into the storyline after watching the first episode. Is it me or has Zhou Xun had a bit of botox? If not then maybe they had really early call times and she's a bit puffy from lack of sleep?

Really hoping to get into this one as much as Yanxi Palace but it's a bit discombobulating to see the same sets used in both but with different people and having different feelings (the complete opposite in most cases) for each character!

@Wotad As mentioned by @stella77 the symbolic act behind "cutting hair":

On 8/20/2018 at 10:15 PM, stella77 said:

----Sorry for cutting your post----

.......I will tackle this drama just purely for how they will deal with her losing the emperor’s favor and being demoted and banished. I have read some historical theories but none have been proven yet. Most popular one is that they argued and she cut her hair to protest (which is like wishing death to the emperor back in those time - major breach of etiquette) or that she was framed.......

I don't agree that history was written based on winners of that era for if that was so we won't know today there were good and bad monarchs.  Still the protest of cut hair incident was not found in official historical records.

We will never know the real reason why Ruyi lost favour with Qian Long as both held this in secrecy and never expose it to others or those who they confided in did not choose to reveal it.  We can only speculate.

57 minutes ago, pbysbffnirl said:

I'm currently obsessed with Yanxi Palace and can't quite get into the storyline after watching the first episode. Is it me or has Zhou Xun had a bit of botox? If not then maybe they had really early call times and she's a bit puffy from lack of sleep?

Really hoping to get into this one as much as Yanxi Palace but it's a bit discombobulating to see the same sets used in both but with different people and having different feelings (the complete opposite in most cases) for each character!

I.am sure Zhou xun has no botox. Her acting has always been subtle. Personally I think she is good. 

It may be better for you to finish one before watching the other. In most Qing dramas, Empress Ruyi is always  depicted as evil. But the author of this novel.flipped the coin and depict her as good and the usual good as quite bad. LOL.  

Although they are real.historical figures in both dramas, the focus of the storyline is different.

BBJX, Emperor Qianlong loved Rouxi so lol. I know it's fictional in BBJX, but in this drama, Emperor Qianlong loved Ruyi, so it will be interesting to see how he starts to dislike her, and cast her aside. Not sure if the drama will go this route, if so, we are all in for a bitter-sweet story.

13 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

BBJX, Emperor Qianlong loved Rouxi so lol. I know it's fictional in BBJX, but in this drama, Emperor Qianlong loved Ruyi, so it will be interesting to see how he starts to dislike her, and cast her aside. Not sure if the drama will go this route, if so, we are all in for a bitter-sweet story.

I thought in BBJX it was about Yongsheng ie. Qianlong's father? I admit I did not watch BBJX.

22 minutes ago, BellyButton said:

I thought in BBJX it was about Yongsheng ie. Qianlong's father? I admit I did not watch BBJX.

LOl you are right! I got confused. 

This drama is long. Are they airing everyday? 

39 minutes ago, BellyButton said:

@rosierosie yeah @BellyButton is right. BBJX is about Yong Zheng, who is the Father of Hong Li we saw in the first episode. There is no mention of Ruo Xi here, so let’s just assume that he had already moved on after her death (although Ruo Xi is a fictional character, haha). I was also trying to recall the character of Hong Li when he appeared as a child in BBJX. He was playing with a girl, who was the Daughter of 13th prince and being looked after by Ruo Xi. If we really want to link the 2 dramas together, let’s just say that after Ruo Xi passed away, the girl was adopted by the Brother of Empress Ulanara, so she now appears as her niece, Qing Ying, in this drama. 

2 hours ago, dejun said:

@Wotad As mentioned by @stella77 the symbolic act behind "cutting hair":

I don't agree that history was written based on winners of that era for if that was so we won't know today there were good and bad monarchs.  Still the protest of cut hair incident was not found in official historical records.

We will never know the real reason why Ruyi lost favour with Qian Long as both held this in secrecy and never expose it to others or those who they confided in did not choose to reveal it.  We can only speculate.

I agree that we will probably never know the truth. But it is not because they didn’t want to! 

It is because history is very much controlled by those in power or with power during the time. They had the ability to record and control how things are recorded or if should be omitted and/or erased. If there is one truth about history, it is this fact. 

@BellyButton  You should try out BBJX series one of these days as it's one of the most well loved drama and worth watching.  I truly liked the way Yong Zheng was portrayed here compared to other versions I have watched.  Among the Qing emperors, I have preference for Kang Xi and Yong Zheng.  But there aren't any good recent drama for Kang Xi.  Chronicles of Life was a disappointment.  Since Qian Long is portrayed by Wallace Huo and Ruyi is acted by Zhou Xun, am excited to watch this drama which I have high expectation.

@rosierosie  This drama is airing 2 episodes from Monday to Thursday at Tencent China.  Not sure about other countries and regions.

3 hours ago, omiki said:

@rosierosie yeah @BellyButton is right. BBJX is about Yong Zheng, who is the Father of Hong Li we saw in the first episode. There is no mention of Ruo Xi here, so let’s just assume that he had already moved on after her death (although Ruo Xi is a fictional character, haha). I was also trying to recall the character of Hong Li when he appeared as a child in BBJX. He was playing with a girl, who was the Daughter of 13th prince and being looked after by Ruo Xi. If we really want to link the 2 dramas together, let’s just say that after Ruo Xi passed away, the girl was adopted by the Brother of Empress Ulanara, so she now appears as her niece, Qing Ying, in this drama. 

Is the little girl in the BBJX Qing Ying?  If Qing Ying's is 13th brother's daughter, then Qing Ying and Hongli will be related ie. via same grandfather, Yong Sheng.  

Ep. 5, haha there was a Caucasian artist.  Wonder what he said to Ruyi?  And yes I think Qian Long commissioned many foreign artists during his time.  Remember seeing some paintings in his famous Garden Palace.

Ep. 4

Spoiler

Love the development of Ruyi and Hailan's sisterhood.  Friends are rare in the palace.  I wonder whether Empress Fuchao is good or bad?  Appears gentle and kind insofar.

@dejun  I think Kangxi was the most revered of them all.  And yes, not enough drama about him.  Maybe not many historians wrote about him?  Most are about Qian Long especially about his travels.   In fact, I think among the people in China, they kind of blamed Qian Long for squandering the country's coffers towards the end of his reign.   Hongli was Kangxi's favourite grandson and Kangxi thought Hongli took after him as in being highly talented in both sword and book.   I think grandfather and grandson had great relationship so much so that Qian Long decided to step down as emperor so as not to surpass his grandfather's length of reign.

Sometimes after watching all these historical dynasties, I agree with this famous chinese saying .. wealth within a family is unlikely to last three generations.  In most stories, the greatest is often the one who conquer and unite, if lucky enough the emperor had capable children to carry on the dynasty for a couple of generations before it disintegrates due to external forces and internal ineptness.  

OK, I will watch BBJX after Ruyi.  

Archived