[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

After a rather distracted viewing of Ep10 It is almost comical the amount of stuff we don't know.

I find the closing shot establishing LDW as the king Wang Yeo curious.

Why?

It isn't as if we wouldn't accept it if they just said he was the king. Most of us had already ran to that conclusion.

What does that shot do?  1) It let us know that the king lived for a while after his original queen and general's death. 2) It let us know that he was not happy.  Kingie looks worried, scared, and somewhat tormented. 

Why switch to LDW instead of the original young king?  Well they might well be doing extended shoot in the ancient world and they young actor is booked.  However I suspect that my previous assumptions made without any information to make an informed guess on was wrong. Whatever make the king into the Grim Weeper wasn't solely based on the execution of Kim Sun and Kim Shin, but had the basis in his later rule. That is the more reasonable explanation for dolling LDW down in period costume.

My quick assumption is that Evil Eunuch kept Wang Yeo away from information and reasoned counsel either by asserting their father-sonlike connection or he controlled him with drugs and ruled in Wang Yeo name because there was no one to oppose him. Goblin came too late to protect Wang Yeo as he had promised to do and Evil Eunuch had probably installed a new king after Wang Yeo's death.

Questions

1) What happened in the nation and at court between General Kim Shin's death and Goblin's resurrection? 

2) How does reincarnation and facial features work. Kim Shin and Wang Yeo have their original facial features; they were not reincarnated.  Sunny does not, she was reincarnated.

3) Are Dancing Secretary and Evil Eunuch the same soul or just the same face? If they are not the same soul, why is the creative team messing with us and robbing another actor of a job?  @happypuppy @Cayu18 pointed out to me that the roles are played by different actors. This lessen the strength of my point, but the characters echo each other in ways that may or may not be significant.  Eunuch Park position with the Young king is more intense but similar to Secretary Kim and Duk Hwa [guidance and control]   

4) The fact that Dancing Secretary has been given deep secrets to keep means his relations to Kim Shin goes deep. So if they are one on the same, a Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary did the Evil Eunuch escape being punished by the gods?  We/I assume when the Goblin killed him he was still evil. We know he is not a supernatural being because grew up with Kim Shin's support, so he was reincarnated? [Or is there another mythological process I am unfamiliar with?] The fact that Secretary Kim and Eunuch Park are played by different actors doesn't fully remove the possibility of a connection between the characters in my mind. The structure of the actors face as so similar that they could easily pass for brothers.  Sunny does not actually look like the queen but way the drama is shot the shape of their faces look very much the same, but still not as similar as  Eunuch Park and Secretary Kim.

I'm just curious why the casting  of Eunuch Park and Secretary Kim was done that way if it has no story significance.

USA casting directors are usually careful not to have actors who look too similar be cast in the same project (unless there is a point to it) for fear of confusing the audience.  So if they cast two blonde actress who are similar types they will ask that one or both make a change to create more visual distance between them.  When a series of white women are cast the almost required to differentiate on the basis of hair:  Friends: black/brunette, high blonde and a dirty brownish blonde, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Blonde, Red head, Brunette.  Actresses will play with their hair color when they audition. If they know the lead is blonde they will change their color so as to complement and not compete visually.

These observations/questions are not meant to be  a part of a big theory of any kind of how the mystery will unravel.  They are just sharing of stuff I've noticed. 

5) How did Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary cleanse his soul? Or did he?

6) Why is Kim Shin keeping him close? Is KIm Shin playing a long game that will end in balancing 900 years of injustice by opening a can of soul hurting whoopass on Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary.

It seems like what happened in Goryeo doesn't stay in Goryeo

Spoiler

@packmule3 Under the spoiler curtain of discretion for no reason.  
I like the spoiler shield.  I wonder if there are folks that don't click.

I'm never sure who else to tag.

• Like 15

Happy New year Chngo dal :heart:

its new year and have no one to celebrate it with but you Goblin chingo dal .. 

really loved ep 10 , at the moment when goblin and his bride were waiting the counting down to new year , I noticed it was almost the same in my country too.. so was happy :blush:

may all of your dreams come true :wub:

• Like 11

Spoiler

cr:  omokdramas

my heart HURTS!! :bawling: I don't know weither to be mad or sad for the King who was too weak ans blind by fear and jealousy to see that he has misplaced his trust and gave it to his ennemy allowing him to get rid of the only 2 people who cared for him and wanted to protect him till the very end of their lives!! how could he do that? :bawling: how could he doubt Kim Shin only because he's powerful and loved by the people?!! how is that treason?!! how is staying alive is a treason?!! how can he doubt his Queen?!! was his love that weak to doubt and sacrifice her?!! HOW COULD HE KILL THEM LIKE THAT?!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :bawling::bawling: :bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

• Like 16

@hushhh I personally think that the dancing secretary was the evil eunuch that was reincarnated with different face. This will be an excellent surprise/gesture from the writer. If all reincarnated with exactly the same face, what is the fun? There will be no CSI work like we have been doing so far.

But now, my heart is aching OH IT HURTS SO MUCH THAT THERE WILL BE ONLY 6 EPISODES LEFT!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, LoveBangWon said:

CUTE DOKKEBI AHJUSSHI :D

his WINK ! :P

His cuteness ! ❤

(Credit to ho-duck)

@Chi Le Yes he was well known as someone who resemble with Yeo jin goo. He, himself admitted ppl told him about that. 

Kim shin wink just like manse wink..I need to find the stills manse wink...If true Manse reincanation of Kim Shin...:w00t:

I just find this wink...:wub:

9035d0539c6f7062440b35be49fb84d7.jpg

FB_IMG_1483229074608.jpg

Thanks and love Song Ji Hyo who give the food truck to this production..:wub:

• Like 19

I've to say, I'm pretty surprised by ET. I mean, the moment she turned adult, she drink alcohol, she kissed (yo go girl ^^) and the next morning she's doesn't have an hangover XD I presumed it was her first time to drink but she seems ok ... not like DH :sweatingbullets:

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, hushhh said:

3) Are Dancing Secretary and Evil Eunuch the same soul or just the same face? If they are not the same soul, why is the creative team messing with us and robbing another actor of a job?

4) The fact that Dancing Secretary has been given deep secrets to keep means his relations to Kim Shin goes deep. So if they are one on the same, a Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary did the Evil Eunuch escape being punished by the gods?  We/I i when the Goblin killed him he was still evil. We know he is not a supernatural being because grew up with Kim Shin's support, so he was reincarnated? [Or is there another mythological process I am unfamiliar with?] 

6) Why is Kim Shin keeping him close? Is KIm Shin playing a long game that will end in balancing 900 years of injustice by opening a can of soul hurting whoopass on Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary.

Reveal hidden contents

Park Joong-Won's character the Eunuch is played by Kim Byung-Chul and Secretary kim is played by Jo Woo-Jin.

I doubt they are the same soul. But they are definitely not the same face. I kept wondering why people kept mentioning the two characters together. I guess people mixed them up. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, shynaz said:

Kim shin wink just like manse wink..I need to find the stills manse wink...If true Manse reincanation of Kim Shin...:w00t:

I just find this wink...:wub:

He is the cutest kid on earth (i love manse so much :D

after wink ! Lets ahjusshi kiss "you"........

hmmmmmmmmmm

IMG_8783.gif
IMG_8784.gif

Credit to owner

• Like 24

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

After a rather distracted viewing of Ep10 It is almost comical the amount of stuff we don't know.

Spoiler

I find the closing shot establishing LDW as the king Wang Yeo curious.

Why?

It isn't as if we wouldn't accept it if they just said he was the king. Most of us had already ran to that conclusion.

What does that shot do?  1) It let us know that the king lived for a while after his original queen and general's death. 2) It let us know that he was not happy.  Kingie looks worried, scared, and somewhat tormented. 

Why switch to LDW instead of the original young king?  Well they might well be doing extended shoot in the ancient world and they young actor is booked.  However I suspect that my previous assumptions made without any information to make an informed guess on was wrong. Whatever make the king into the Grim Weeper wasn't solely based on the execution of Kim Sun and Kim Shin, but had the basis in his later rule. That is the more reasonable explanation for dolling LDW down in period costume.

My quick assumption is that Evil Eunuch kept Wang Yeo away from information and reasoned counsel either by asserting their father-sonlike connection or he controlled him with drugs and ruled in Wang Yeo name because there was no one to oppose him. Goblin came too late to protect Wang Yeo as he had promised to do and Evil Eunuch had probably installed a new king after Wang Yeo's death.

Questions

1) What happened in the nation and at court between General Kim Shin's death and Goblin's resurrection? 

2) How does reincarnation and facial features work. Kim Shin and Wang Yeo have their original facial features; they were not reincarnated.  Sunny does not, she was reincarnated.

3) Are Dancing Secretary and Evil Eunuch the same soul or just the same face? If they are not the same soul, why is the creative team messing with us and robbing another actor of a job?

4) The fact that Dancing Secretary has been given deep secrets to keep means his relations to Kim Shin goes deep. So if they are one on the same, a Dancing Evil Eunuch Secretary did the Evil Eunuch escape being punished by the gods?  We/I assume when the Goblin killed him he was still evil. We know he is not a supernatural being because grew up with Kim Shin's support, so he was reincarnated? [Or is there another mythological process I am unfamiliar with?] 

Hide contents

they showed us Wang Yeo with Grim Reaper's face for 100% confirmation that he's the reancarnation of the King!! and the ,ice secretary IS NOT the same soul NOR face of the evil eunch!! the evil eunch is protayed by actor Kim Byung Chul while the nice secretary is portrayed by actor Jo Woo Jin!! and if the King got reincarnated as a Gripm Reaper for his sins of killing Kim Shin and the Queen wrongfully that evil eunch should be reincarnated as a cockroach that will never return to its human look and live like that for eternity!! :rage: (that's my wish though :D)  and apparently the nice secretary was also one of the people who were saved by Kim Shin as he was thankful to him when Kim Shin thanked him for growing well just like he (Kim Shin) told the old man who he saved when he was a kid!! 

cr:  omokdramas

Edit: Kim Shin was revived so he's not a reincarnation to begin with, Wang Yeo was 16-17 years old the last time Kim Shin saw him before his death and died before Kim Shin bein able to see him in his adult appearance (Lee Dong Wook) and then got reincarnated as the Grim Reaper we know but Kim Shin couldn't recognise him because he never saw the King's adult face as I said and same goes for Sunny who died as a Queen at a young age and never had to grow up to look the way we know her with after being reincarnated and as an adult right now!! :) 

• Like 15

52 minutes ago, happypuppy said:

@hushhh I personally think that the dancing secretary was the evil eunuch that was reincarnated with different face. This will be an excellent surprise/gesture from the writer. If all reincarnated with exactly the same face, what is the fun? There will be no CSI work like we have been doing so far.

But now, my heart is aching OH IT HURTS SO MUCH THAT THERE WILL BE ONLY 6 EPISODES LEFT!!!:bawling::bawling::bawling:

38 minutes ago, Cayu18 said:

Park Joong-Won's character the Eunuch is played by Kim Byung-Chul and Secretary kim is played by Jo Woo-Jin.

I doubt they are the same soul. But they are definitely not the same face. I kept wondering why people kept mentioning the two characters together. I guess people mixed them up.

You are right.  I was confusing them. 

I didn't know Evil Eunuch name before episode 10.  The actors' faces have very similar architecture.  See spoiler. I accounted for the difference in appearance to make-up and the differences in look from the different time period and the actors choice in delineating different characters.

Spoiler

single-curl-ep5.jpg?w=672&h=372&crop=1

fullsizephoto797041.jpg

• Like 12

First...Happy New Year my dear Soompi friends! :)...i wish you health and that all your wishes come true :)

It was so funny the way ET and GR looked at GB when he almost gave GR out ...and  even more funnier that Sunny's third guess was the right one :wink:...she shouldn't take it back

When GR and Sunny met so she can give him the ring back i realized they started to talk almost normally...seems their relationship starts to go somewhere 

That scolar killed all family members of the young king :crazy: and made a child to be king for his own greed ....i'm speachless...to bad last king's will young king should marry GB's sister messed his plans...and even worse that young king was afraid, jealous and blind to see whats old man doing

Brother-sister talk: Do i look pretty today? You look ugly rofl.gif

ET to guys: Sorry for messing up your quality time together rofl.gif

Glad ET got those bankbooks back...loved ET's words to that girl ghost and later to her mother :tears:...and that GB secure a way so ET's aunt can't get her hands on that money

Our GB is strange and beautiful as ET said...but not very modest right? :wink:...and is funny...seems DH's words from time of frog and red moon kind of stick to him...line he won't make it rain again so NASA won't come and take him was good :)

Aigooo...what a sad look my Wookie had when Sunny told him not to call her and left :tears:...poor GB knew it was going to happen, was really sorry but couldn't say sad2.gif 

It was good our GB gave a good stick lesson to that bad guys...but not so good to leave ET with soju rofl.gif ...even time freeze didn't help...he just had to kiss her ... seems he didn't mind afterall...it was cute :wub:

GB after GR grabbed his hand: What do i do with this hand? I need to cut it off!!! lol.gif 

He was really in great element today....to Sunny and GR: today you look like an egg lol.gif....to bad matchmaking didn't work, our  GR was so sad sad2.gif 

Sunny is GB's reincarnated sister...but acc to last pic of GR, in the past he was someone that wasn't mentioned so far

Another great ep thumbs.gif

• Like 18