[Drama 2016] Doctors 닥터스

Rin90

1 hour ago, nonski said:

you're welcome @Nodame and i appreaciate that you're sharing your thoughts here. i usually do roll call when i watch the drama live and participate actively in the forum and if the people in the forum are kind and special just like here in Doctors thread.

I'm green at this so i'm a lil clueless about how to carry myself in a forum…. i found myself included in the rollcall and i thank you.  i do watch live streaming but i honestly dont multitask all that well, thus i'm not able to do live recaps, so sorry.  i'd just get all confused and make a mess of the whole thing lol, but bcos of this, i truly appreciate the dedication of the live recappers who are all doing an awesome job, may god bless u.  they're the lifeline for those of us who are unable to/have problems with live streaming.

Right now, its as if i cant breathe properly bcos i fear the worse after last nites episode.  although i tell myself its just a drama, Doctors have made me invest so much of my feelings & emotions into the characters that i cant bear for anything bad to happen to them.

Sheeesshhhh i'm having it real bad havent i ha3…. doctor doctor come treat me pls :crazy:

• Like 13

Sharing my view on HJ's family. Mostly on Dad because I think he is a misunderstood person.

Dad -- He never came across to me as an abusive or aggressive father. If any, he is a weak and passive parent. Yes, we saw him hitting HJ in the car in the middle of the road, but that could be the only moment he hit her though. We don't know yet. As for him responsible for Mom's death, we only heard that accusation from HJ's mouth. Since I'm only watching a translated conversation, I could be lost in the meaning, but I don't believe he hit her to death, or accidentally pushed her to cause immediate death. Someone suggested that it was possible that Mom committed suicide due to unbearable marriage relationship. I think so too. HJ was blaming Mom's death on Dad because to the young HJ (1st grader?), he was never nice to Mom, he was the source of Mom's pain and problem. And of course, no one explained to her what exactly happened.

Dad chose to walk away from arguments with his wife. People may see this as abandoning, but to me, it's his incompetence in dealing with people. An abusive/aggressive person will not leave until he dominated the situation/people. He also never abandons HJ. HJ was sent to Grandma's house at Grandma's request (towards the end of ep.1). Grandma herself didn't think much of HJ's Mom. She called her a loser. The little we know about her, she gave up going to university and cut ties with her parents. Due to love for Dad? We may never know. Dad may have grown up without a father figure too, considering the job of Halmoni when she was younger. So both of them probably love each other so much but suffer a communication break-down. Probably Mom regretted Dad not doing so well even after she gave up everything to marry her. She may have on and on expressed her disappointment and dissatisfaction, which caused Dad to spiral down into despair. Again, we may never know unless there's some kind of flashback. During the rocky times of their marriage, in Dad's low mood and despair, Stepmom perhaps took advantage to get herself married by providing console and comfort for Dad. We knew she was pretentious and fed poisonous info about HJ's behavior and attitude to Dad who was at that time always busy working to provide for the family.

After Grandma's death, HJ just left them. Dad probably couldn't find her until now, just like JH couldn't find her. Even if HJ isn't a doctor, I believe Dad will still want to reconcile with her. As for the taking over of restaurant, to me, preserving a legacy is a form of respect and love. I don't see Dad taking over the restaurant because it is doing so well and hoping to get rich or gain advantage from it. The restaurant was never that busy during Grandma's day. And the restaurant logo/brand has the sub-word "2nd generation" so they kept the original trademark as respect, not to fully take credit and advantage. We are also shown how the customers appreciate Dad and they have good relationship.

Stepmom -- an opportunist with foul mouth and mind. Not gonna waste time and effort to talk more about her.

Stepsister -- she may be the only one who knows Dad's longing heart for HJ. The look she gave her mom while she was talking tells me that she's about had it with her mom's way. I'm waiting for the day she is brave enough to shut her mom up. She knew Dad misses HJ, and probably also that he wants to make amends with her, which is why she braved herself to ask for her number from KS.

I do hope HJ will reconcile with her Dad. Otherwise, she will never be truly freed to feel happiness. We see that she does care and miss her Dad when she went to check out the restaurant at the end of ep.6. And seeing her name on the family registry tugged her heart a little.

• Like 13

I believe that childhood is a big part of becoming who you are at present, that is not a simple situation..

in reality that's a big impact not a fantasy, sad but it is true...

CnIPwMkVYAAIB2k.jpg on a lighter side..this is when people around you are super curious about you..Lol..This scene is so funny..:blush:CnGi_6dUIAE1pMl.jpg

credit  to the owner

• Like 22

15 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

Not sure why some are saying the ratings dropped. They haven't dropped, they have been increasing.  What am I missing?  The Monday episode is consistently increasing over the previous Mondays episodes. We'll see if Tuesday's episodes increase over the previous Tuesdays.  I don't compare a Monday's episode to a Tuesday's episode because viewers have changing schedules.....more viewers may be off on Tuesdays.

In all honesty, if I like drama, then I don't care what the ratings say.  So far, I'm loving this drama.  I read an earlier comment when someone was comparing this drama to another medical drama that's airing; they also said the other drama was better.  Well, as for me, Doctor's had me hooked within 5 minutes of watching it. I don't like dramas that are supposed to be melodrama when they should be tagged as fantasy; with illogical plots and scenarios......where you have to suspend belief and just accept that the impossible just happened.  This drama has a good balance to me. Wonderful romance story going, some angst getting started and believable medical scenes.

Date Episode TNmS (%) Nielsen Korea (%)
Nationwide Seoul Nationwide Seoul Peak
2016-06-20 01 11.4 (4th) 15.1 (4th) 12.9 (4th) 14.7 (4th) 18.4
2016-06-21 02 12.4 (4th) 16.9 (3rd) 14.2 (4th) 16.2 (4th) 20.0
2016-06-27 03 12.8 (4th) 16.5 (3rd) 14.4 (3rd) 16.9 (3rd) 21.1
2016-06-28 04 14.6 (3rd) 17.8 (2nd) 15.6 (3rd) 18.0 (2nd) 23.0
2016-07-04 05 16.1 (3rd) 20.7 (1st) 18.4 (3rd) 20.2 (3rd) -
2016-07-05 06 16.8 (3rd) 20.8 (1st) 19.7 (3rd) 21.6 (2nd) 25.7
2016-07-11 07 18.4 (3rd) 22.3 (1st) 18.8 (3rd) 21.3 (2nd)

cr: DramaWiki

I agree, I noticed that too, monday episodes have always ratings a bit lower, but comparing just them is increasing slowly.

@ck1Oz About the romance thing, I don't get why u think the writer is wrong. Honestly is possible and very common to do this, people that strugle can be strong and successful in many aspects but we all have a weak spot, for her is a tabu to love. Having a bad father is sometimes enough to scare women about marriage maybe sound stupid but is true, she had a really bad one.... Since is a kdrama she can't be seen as we usually see the broken women in western movies and dramas, having many little affairs but no real romantic relationships. We need to understand they will do according to their cultural values and is not something a respectable woman would do openly there.

Regarding the family...I don't think maturing and growing has anything to do with forgiveness, u can be a better person in many aspects and still feel u have no space in ur life for people that always hurt u. Her "family" honestly they don't deserve forgiveness. Is very easy to be nice to someone successfull like she is now and pretty convenient, but if she was strugling they wouldn't offer a hand to her. Family is very important but honestly, her father and her mother in law are the worse, and they didn't apologize for anything. Her father didn't say sorry or didn't ackownledge his mistakes with her, or the pain he caused, or how much he regret for not supporting her at all. Wouldn't feel real if was easy for her to forgive them and pretend nothing happened. As someone that had a crappy father, is easy to relate, u seek for atention and love until the day u understand, won't happen. The day u see that, u slowly stop caring about it. So isn't hate, is more like indifference.  

• Like 17

I cant stop watching over and over the scene where they are all together discussing the fellowship agreements. It's such a hilarious scene and the music the director put complemented the scene even more.

• Like 12

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Doctors" Episode 7

2016/07/11 

photo745497.jpg

The opening scene for this episode depicts Hye-jeong as a child listening to a fight between her father and a woman who is either Hye-jeong's mother or her stepmother. It's unclear. While the scene is effective in establishing context for Hye-jeong's actions immediately after her kiss with Ji-hong, the lack of full context illustrates the main greater problem in "Doctors". The drama never quite gives us all the information necessary for the story to be fully satisfying.

Instead, there's disproportionate focus on romance. Even actual surgery is important less because people's lives are at stake and more who gets what specific assignments can be interpreted as a form of special favor. While I didn't mind the doctors' detached attitude before, we get a lot of backstory on the main patient here, to the point she could be a starring character in her own drama. In that context, Ji-hong's mechanical smiles comes off as rather discomforting.

Weirdly enough the main character I keep sympathizing with is Seo-woo of all people. Where everyone else is too half-distracted with doctor stuff to pay attention to personal lives, Seo-woo is completely focused on romance. It really sucks for her to be putting all this effort in with Yoon-do and getting nowhere, but Hye-jeong makes an active effort to avoid these entanglements and has gotten Yoon-do wrapped around her finger apparently by complete accident.

Seo-woo calls attention to the way "Doctors" is structured around making Hye-jeong look good in a way that rather damages the drama as a whole. The return of Soo-cheol (played by Ji Soo) initially seems to fall in to this same pattern. Eventually we find out his motives are quite casual, which is an enormous relief even if Ji-hong and Yoon-do are unlikely to find out about this for some time. But even then the final scene manages to veer into predictable emotional overkill. It figures that the one time "Doctors" manages to come up with an appropriate song it was of course intended to be ironic.

I really wish we could get more exploration of Hye-jeong's other character traits aside from "men find her attractive". It's just so redundant. Why bother hiring Park Shin-hye if so much of the script is going to be dedicated to telling us, rather than showing us, that she's charming? There's so many better places to go. This whole time Hye-jeong has apparently had an admiring stepsister- why can't we spend more time on that?

Review by William Schwartz

"Doctors" is directed by Oh Choong-hwan, written by Ha Myeong-hee and features Kim Rae-won, Park Shin-hye, Yoon Gyoon-sang, Lee Seong-kyeong, Kim Yeong-ae and Jeong Hae-gyoon.

Watch on DramaFever

Episode 7

Watch on DramaFever

Source:http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-doctors-episode-7-96584.html

• Like 7

I'll be honest, my heart sank when I saw the ratings opened lower this morning because the real-time ratings opened higher last night thus the anticipation. But the greatest part about this was after I read all your comments, it brightened up my day. 

To know that the positivity runs high here warmed my heart. hehe. Feeling all fuzzy. 

In any case, I can't say much about the episode because I've yet to fully watch it but loving all the tiny clips seen on naver/IG. 

Too much chemistry and cheeky smiles to go around! 

Have a great Tuesday! 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, angelangie said:

Seeing how HJ said she doesn't want to need him (her father ) had actually reflected her inner wish and longing how she had wished that her father were there when she really needed him but sadly he was never there

The life she had forge for herself had been without him for so long that she doesn't know where to put him again and we can just step into the picture and demanded that 'hey I want to be a part of your life now' 

It will take more than just a few words and also an envelope to do just that...maybe the dad need to learn couple of move from JH lols...looks how he had managed to stay put no matter how much HJ tried to back away

@angelangie... I totally agree chingu . She has spent her life wishing for her father to love her but he looked at her with hatred. When I saw episode 7, I saw the hatred in his eyes and wonder when the helllll it became love. Was it after raising his second child that he desired to get to know her. I think he has a lot of nerve wanting a relationship now after she has become to scared to love someone. She doesn't socialize like other people do and only knows to be independent. My main issue in all this is HIS WIFE. She is the biggest obstacle that will always cause a breach between them.  That woman will not like HYE JUNG being a part of their lives. Look at the way she talks about Hye Jung. With so much anger . smh smh smh.  I am just so surprised that her daughter isn't like her. I can't really judge the sister until she appears a lot more in the drama. 

• Like 8

Very harsh criticism from hancinema, that I do not think reflects the drama "Doctors" at all, either how the characters are played. My perception, I smell bias and certain media play, correct me if I am wrong. Your input is highly appreciate. :tears:

I agree with this part : :thumbsup:Why bother hiring Park Shin-hyeif so much of the script is going to be dedicated to telling us, rather than showing us, that she's charming:)

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, alcides14 said:

Very harsh criticism from hancinema, that I do not think reflects the drama "Doctors" at all, either how the characters are played. My perception, I smell bias and certain media play, correct me if I am wrong. Your input is highly appreciate. :tears:

its true, whenever i saw their comment I'd rather not read it.

• Like 7

Anyone remember where (in which episode) is the one scene that shows HJ's Mom collapsed on the floor with young HJ at her side crying? Because I want to check her outfit, if that is the same instance after the quarrel in beginning of ep.7. Watching sub and just found out Mom threatened to kill herself if Dad walked out. They were arguing about the other woman. She accused him of being out with that woman the night before, but Dad denied and lamented why Mom doesn't believe him.

• Like 9

juat see a glimpse of last night ep, and I already laughing so hard (I intentionally miss the last part). I should make a gif but my app corrupt for no reason. 

but i love this ep even from the beginning, HJ know the kiss will come, she think she need to avoid it, and yet she tip toeing to accept that kiss. and the way she run away just so cute for me. YD too... he's really a dead of me, what a cute and awkward creature different with his serious and cold attitude when he work. i really LOL so hard (and i'm on my office) I really need friend like him to keep me alive. 

• Like 12

Looking at the preview, i don't think SC died. If something happen to someone who is close to HJ, i bet she will always look sad and YD not even dare to ask her out (coz wrong timing). 

It seems that HJ got secret admirer everywhere. A lot. I hope writer nim will give JH more space and quality time with HJ for proper love's development. 

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, MrsLi said:

@ck1Oz About the romance thing, I don't get why u think the writer is wrong. Honestly is possible and very common to do this, people that strugle can be strong and successful in many aspects but we all have a weak spot, for her is a tabu to love. Having a bad father is sometimes enough to scare women about marriage maybe sound stupid but is true, she had a really bad one.... Since is a kdrama she can't be seen as we usually see the broken women in western movies and dramas, having many little affairs but no real romantic relationships. We need to understand they will do according to their cultural values and is not something a respectable woman would do openly there.

Regarding the family...I don't think maturing and growing has anything to do with forgiveness, u can be a better person in many aspects and still feel u have no space in ur life for people that always hurt u. Her "family" honestly they don't deserve forgiveness. Is very easy to be nice to someone successfull like she is now and pretty convenient, but if she was strugling they wouldn't offer a hand to her. Family is very important but honestly, her father and her mother in law are the worse, and they didn't apologize for anything. Her father didn't say sorry or didn't ackownledge his mistakes with her, or the pain he caused, or how much he regret for not supporting her at all. Wouldn't feel real if was easy for her to forgive them and pretend nothing happened. As someone that had a crappy father, is easy to relate, u seek for atention and love until the day u understand, won't happen. The day u see that, u slowly stop caring about it. So isn't hate, is more like indifference.  

Couldnt agree with u more… on both counts ^_^

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, alcides14 said:

I agree with this part : :thumbsup:Why bother hiring Park Shin-hyeif so much of the script is going to be dedicated to telling us, rather than showing us, that she's charming:)

YES VERY HASH CRITICISM 

but ... sorry to say. some of Hancinema review is correct. too much HJ's secret admire scene. 

i think PDnim should charge the Title "Doctors In Love" or "Doctor with Her Lovers" he he

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, MiNah said:

Looking at the preview, i don't think SC died. If something happen to someone who is close to HJ, i bet she will always look sad and YD not even dare to ask her out (coz wrong timing). 

It seems that HJ got secret admirer everywhere. A lot. I hope writer nim will give JH more space and quality time with HJ for proper love's development. 

agree!!!!!

please give JH more space & quality time with HJ. not focus on all the man around HJ love her because she's very charming girl. they're a doctors. not a student or lonely man.

• Like 15

Hi guys..

First time posting in this thread ..thanks @nonski for the shout out ..I missed this ..i mean being called by you *Hugs*

okay ..this drama is literally taking over my life right now..PSH is soooooooooo beautiful i can't get over her character HJ..I wanna be her ..
and YES i'm on Ji Hong/Hye Jung ship ..they're so beautiful and it hurts..how can he be so perfect ..people are calling him old man and i'm like he is the hottest old man out there and i want to marry him :P

seriously, out of all the Korean male leads out there he is PERFECT ..he is flawless and i really adore him and his bright warm character..I love how he loved HJ and kept her in his heart all of this years..and i love how he's being so straightforward like he doesn't want to waste more time ..he wants to be with her so bad..and I LOOOOOOOOOOVE how he is trying to teach her what it means to be loved..he knows that she didn't receive so much love while growing up ..yes her grandma loved her but she didn't live that long to give her what she needed..so he is like " Don't move ..i will come to you " GOD have mercy on me ..I have this big crush on him and i really need a man like him in my life..:wub:

And HJ..This is the best Role that PSH has played until now..she is strong and beautiful and on a top of that she is smart ..I love this kind of characters..and for me her and KRW have so much chemistry together ..every time they're on screen i just want them to kiss already ..can we please appreciate the fact that he gave her a light kiss instead of a passionate one because he knew that it's her first kiss and he doesn't want to scare her ..god, he is a gentleman ..

As for Seo woo..I don't know about you guys but I feel sorry for this girl ..I feel sorry for her more than HJ..you know why ?!! because no matter what she does ..she just can't be happy with what she has..and when she feels that she is finally able to move on with her life and another love something happens..I love how she is so determined with her love for Yoon Do ..they have been together for a long time she knows all of his love stories..she is ready to accept him for who he is ..but daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that YD he totally broke her heart and i hate him for that ( sorry MooHyul ..I loved you in SFD but in here ..you're getting on my nerves ) I mean he knows how she feels about him and he knows that there is this complicated relationship between her and HJ and still he just told her that he likes HJ and broke her heart..so yeah YD i hope that you will end up being a broken hearted man and know that SW is the only girl who appreciate your existence..thank you very much !! :vicx:

But seriously i love how SW keeps teasing him about HJ..and how she's being like " I will get you..you will be mine so be prepared for that " you go girl..don't let him get away ..show him the sides of you that he has never seen and make him fall for you ..I really hope that she will be able to find love this time..I believe that she isn't a bad girl ..she is just ..unloved !! I hope the writer won't drag the whole bad second girl scenario for so long ..I understand why everyone is falling for HJ ..she is so charming and beautiful i would fall for her ..but can't SW gets some love too ..!! i mean ..I swear that i cried my heart out when that ahjumma died..just when SW found that "Someone" that she can be herself with ..the writer choose to kill her !!

I love HJ's friend..she is adding a lovely atmosphere to the show and i love her relationship with HJ and how she take care of her ..

Can we talk about Ji Soo ..?!! he is so daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn hot with that hairstyle ..god Ji soo ah ~ what are you doing to me..I knew since the moment he said " I'm gonna start all over again " that something bad will happen to him -_- 

Anyway ..I love this drama and I love the OST sooooooooooooo much ..it's adding a special taste to the show ..
I'm busy due to my work and everything so i'm not sure if i'm gonna be around here often.. but i will try ..thank you everyone for making this thread feels like home ..I hope that you will enjoy tonight's episode *Hugs*

• Like 17

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

Not sure why some are saying the ratings dropped. They haven't dropped, they have been increasing.  What am I missing?  The Monday episode is consistently increasing over the previous Mondays episodes. We'll see if Tuesday's episodes increase over the previous Tuesdays.  I don't compare a Monday's episode to a Tuesday's episode because viewers have changing schedules.....more viewers may be off on Tuesdays.

In all honesty, if I like drama, then I don't care what the ratings say.  So far, I'm loving this drama.  I read an earlier comment when someone was comparing this drama to another medical drama that's airing; they also said the other drama was better.  Well, as for me, Doctor's had me hooked within 5 minutes of watching it. I don't like dramas that are supposed to be melodrama when they should be tagged as fantasy; with illogical plots and scenarios......where you have to suspend belief and just accept that the impossible just happened.  This drama has a good balance to me. Wonderful romance story going, some angst getting started and believable medical scenes.

Date Episode TNmS (%) Nielsen Korea (%)
Nationwide Seoul Nationwide Seoul Peak
2016-06-20 01 11.4 (4th) 15.1 (4th) 12.9 (4th) 14.7 (4th) 18.4
2016-06-21 02 12.4 (4th) 16.9 (3rd) 14.2 (4th) 16.2 (4th) 20.0
2016-06-27 03 12.8 (4th) 16.5 (3rd) 14.4 (3rd) 16.9 (3rd) 21.1
2016-06-28 04 14.6 (3rd) 17.8 (2nd) 15.6 (3rd) 18.0 (2nd) 23.0
2016-07-04 05 16.1 (3rd) 20.7 (1st) 18.4 (3rd) 20.2 (3rd) -
2016-07-05 06 16.8 (3rd) 20.8 (1st) 19.7 (3rd) 21.6 (2nd) 25.7
2016-07-11 07 18.4 (3rd) 22.3 (1st) 18.8 (3rd) 21.3 (2nd)

cr: DramaWiki

Yes me too, actually i don't care about the ratings, as long as the drama is good for me, then i'll watch it. For example, when DoTS airing there was Come Back Mister that had low ratings that day but i still watch it because the story is not that bad.

But when my favorite drama has high rating, it makes me happy too :D 
Honestly when i see the ratings down i'm little bit sad :( , Doctors...fighting!!!

• Like 12