[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy 九州·海上牧云记

sugarplum892

48 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

That is why I loved the character of SFHY's first Muru wife. She wanted him and fought to get him. He threatened her father with a knife to her throat if she did not get what she wanted and then moved dad with the love story of mom and dad wandering the steppes. Go girl.

I liked the Game of Hunting and Wan Qian also played the only strong female in that drama from my point of view. It is a good drama, but again too many episodes that by the end, the last episodes for me became silly. But the start was really good. 

Spoiler

how is game of hunting the reviews on Douban are not good but its popular

Spoiler

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

There is so much I like about this drama that even if the ending is open I will continue to watch as subs are released. Sometimes the pacing is slower than what I am used to, but the dialogue is very interesting. I also like that a lot of effort is given to the secondary characters and their stories (as in a real novel), we get to feel and understand what their motivations are.  There is a dreamy quality I find intoxicating and also original.  But in a way reminds me of The Dream of Red Mansions.   So much time and effort in the details and in the moment.

I agree about the dialogue. I do like MYD and one conversation with MYS that was so interesting and reveals much about him. He is super smart, he is perceptive and able to discern people's thoughts and motives. He told MYS about this futuristic picture of a Novaland that was all inclusive of all the other beings such as the Sumos, the charmers, the giants, soarers living and working together as in Shrangrila... and MYS believed him. And when MYS asked what MYD wanted  him to  do, MYD says he wants MYS to become the emperor, but what MYS did not know was that, MYD had already planned to have MYS dad. the emperor, assassinated and his best friend HJ framed for the murder. Too bad that MYS could not read minds at that time, because he has not yet drawn the eyes of the dragon on his painting. It was after MYD left when he drew the eyes on his dragon painting that he was able to read minds. I thought that conversation between the cousins impressive. And MYS reading the minds of the ministers and telling them to say what they really thought about his father was interesting and funny, poor emperor. My issue though is the repetition of the same scenes  at the expense of the other main characters, or the time could have been devoted to advancing the plot. HJ''s character was not explored as thoroughly. HJ was abandoned as soon as he was born, and the next thing we see is him as a teenager. How did he survive his infancy , who took care of him. I wanted to know and see his father figure his teacher (his father was the sperm donor) never a father to him. The other two main characters at least had exploration of their childhood which explains their mind views. I would have wanted to see how HJ grew up, the education he got from his teacher/his only father figure, what he learned that influenced his thinking. The only thing shown is his so called father abandoning him, chaining him, hunting him down like an animal or branding him as a criminal fugitive for the death of his mother which the father himself caused. The one interesting convo he had was when he and MYS had "hero" conversation at the general's home. 

On 1/7/2018 at 3:17 PM, Wotad said:
  Hide contents

how is game of hunting the reviews on Douban are not good but its popular

Hide contents
Spoiler

loved the story of the male lead how he self destructed and made the wrong choices and what he did to turn his life around to become a contributor to his community. I did not read the reviews but could guess that the bad reviews were about how they portrayed the helplessness and dependency of women to men to give them a "better life". Even the female lead was shown as dependent to a male "sponsor". The 2nd female lead was a woman who worked hard to help the lead guy become successful but  then they made her into a woman who was self pitying girl who made a wrong choice of going with a man who did not deserve her so the first leads can get back together. The way the first leads got back together was the silliest. They should have ended the drama when the 2nd lead left. 

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:
  Hide contents

loved the story of the male lead how he self destructed and made the wrong choices and what he did to turn his life around to become a contributor to his community. I did not read the reviews but could guess that the bad reviews were about how they portrayed the helplessness and dependency of women to men to give them a "better life". Even the female lead was shown as dependent to a male "sponsor". The 2nd female lead was a woman who worked hard to help the lead guy become successful but  then they made her into a woman who was self pitying girl who made a wrong choice of going with a man who did not deserve her so the first leads can get back together. The way the first leads got back together was the silliest. They should have ended the drama when the 2nd lead left. 

Spoiler

i see im not here for that romance but the concept did sound cool. 

8 hours ago, zenya22 said:
  Hide contents

I am watching Nirvana in Fire 11 and I am liking it, the story is well written.

Spoiler

I started NIF2 too right after T&E. The script and pace is much better. None of the actors is in my fav list but they all grew on me. Thumbs up! 

14 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

A shout out to those who are watching NiF2... come over to the NiF 2 thread and hang out with the rest of us. We'd love to hear from you. :D

Intend to but a bit later as i m behind and too many spoilers for now. :lol:

16 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:
  Hide contents

I started NIF2 too right after T&E. The script and pace is much better. None of the actors is in my fav list but they all grew on me. Thumbs up! 

I agree. The story flows. I get a sense of what the characters are all about what makes them tick and where the story is going 

I have just finished listening to the audiobook of the novel (after the drama left everything unfinished) and I did enjoy the novel. The second part is so much better especially with all the battles going on which was quite interesting. Apparently, the novel is quite different from the drama. For example, there is none of the details of the side characters and it pretty much revolves around our 3 male leads. In a way, I like all the details of the drama but the novel gives us more of a fast paced storyline since the novel is not that long. 

Spoilers of the novel:

Spoiler

MYS - Apparently, his father didn't give him the throne. In fact all the princes (heirs) died except for MYS so he had to take the throne. (I want to do a shout out to the 1st and 2nd princes in the novel , they are quite heroes in the novel and died one as well. Prince Han is quite a war god with his fearsome army (unfortunately defeated by SFHY) and Prince Lu (Crowned Prince) is the perfect heir to the throne. He lead an army to fight against rebels and when they are surrounded, he stay behind and died fighting rather than escape.) MYS escaped the palace with the mentality of "why do I have to pick up this mess you all left behind, let someone else take over, I am getting out of here to fine my Panxi” lol However, on the way, he witnessed and experienced what this world had become (rebel soldiers killing innocent people, own solders are abusing powers and people turning into animals in order to survive) and he realized that he can’t escape anymore. He made a pact with the dwarf to gain some really cool weapons and inspire all those people who were running for their lives to fight back and formed his own army to come back to the throne he abandoned earlier.

MRHJ – He was not thrown out in the street when he was a baby and he was not prophesized to be the king. He grew up bathing in the honor and pride of being a MuRu but he is a free spirit that can’t be caged by rules and restrictions, so he often goes out and live on the street and roam the land like a wolf. His father let him go out and do whatever he wants but threaten him never to use the MuRu names to get any different treatment from people. So he sort of live a double live while growing up. In the novel, MRHJ is very proud of his family name and believe MuRu are protectors and shared owners of this kingdom. Therefore, when his father was defeated and his family exiled, it was a tremendous defeat to his little world (he is like 9 or 10 years old at that time). He watched half of his family died traveling to Shang Province and the hopelessness and despair of trying to build a human territory in Shang Province, the land of the Titans (giants). Every time they build up a building, the Titans will come and destroy it as well as killing massive people.  Until MRHJ discovered a rare species of fire horses and defeated the Titans king. Ten years later, he, the only survivor of the MuRu, with his fire horses traveled back to the mainland. At that time, armies from all different side are gathering in front of the MuYun’s palace and all are planing to go in and take the seal and declare themselves the ruler. Until MRHJ ride to the gate and shout that he will not allow anyone to enter through this gate. MuRu protects what is theirs and for him, he can fight for the throne but no one else deserves it. He plans to put his angry and hatred aside and first defeat the intruders (SFHY’s army), then Prince Ye’s army, and finally he will fight with MYS. (In the novel, they are never really buddies but do understand each other.) I really like this scene because he is like a warrior with his pack of flaming horses standing in front of the gate to prevent any intruders. A lot of the other generals challenged him but MYHJ defeated them. No one was willing to gang up on him and kill him because if they did and take the throne, the world will view them as “bad” since MYHJ had placed himself in the role of the protector.

SFHY – He was never a slave or subordinate. The massacre of his tribes did happen but his family was not all killed. After MYS took over the throne, he signed a peace treaty with them and assigned SFHY’s father as the king of their own land so SFHY is now a prince. However, he refused to accept this situation and want to overthrow the MuYun and rule the world. He then had an argument with his father and ran away. He went to all the other tribes, shouted his intention and as a result, he gain a bunch of young followers. For ten years, he trained them as his own army. Then, he went to the mainland and declared war. He fought against MYHJ, then Prince Ye, and finally he lost to MYS.

The ending: MYS found PanXi but she left him after she found out she is pregnant because MYS don’t want her to give birth. Apparently, once Mei materialized as human, their lifespan is very short and if they give birth, it would even shorten their lives more. MYS just want to spend as much time as possible with PX rather than have a child together. Afterward, MYS passed the throne to decreased Prince Lu’s son and wander the world to search for PX. PX gave birth to a son and fell into a deep slumber. It was not mentioned whether he found PX or his son.

MYHJ defeated Prince Ye’s army and took over Wan Province. SYN found MYHJ but when he asked her to be his queen. She said she had taken a poison herb where she made a promise to marry the man who brought her three magical items. In addition, the winged race also informed him that obtaining these three items is equal to obtaining the world. SYN and MYHJ had a son together but it was not mentioned whether they got married or whether he obtained the three items.

After defeat, SFHY brought his army back to his homeland to recuperate and swore to raise and attack the mainland again. He captured Princess Jing who played a key role in his defeat. He didn’t kill her because she let him go once and he admired her. They have sort of a pact going on during her capture, if he defeated her, she will be his woman and if she defeated him, she will kill him. Every night he came to her tent but always end up being kicked out of the tent with his subordinates laughing in the background. Yet, he kept trying until he was ambushed by outsider and he came back to the tent to save her. They spent the night together while escaping and the next morning she is gone. At the end, she was mentioned in a faraway land with a baby boy in her arms.

The ending is the new beginning of an era of chaos. The world is split three ways and the next generations of these rulers will continue to play their roles and walk down their paths of this chaotic world.

The ending is quite open but I do like it because I don’t think peace and unity can be obtained in the life time of MYS, MYHJ, and SFHY but maybe generation after generation. Overall, I am glad to finish the novel in order to get some kind of closure to this story and I quite enjoy the world of Novoland! :) 

51 minutes ago, BreezeC said:

have just finished listening to the audiobook of the novel (after the drama left everything unfinished) and I did enjoy the novel. The second part is so much better especially with all the battles going on which was quite interesting. Apparently, the novel is quite different from the drama. For example, there is none of the details of the side characters and it pretty much revolves around our 3 male leads. In a way, I like all the details of the drama but the novel gives us more of a fast paced storyline since the novel is not that long. 

Spoilers of the novel:

Reveal hidden contents

MYS - Apparently, his father didn't give him the throne. In fact all the princes (heirs) died except for MYS so he had to take the throne. (I want to do a shout out to the 1st and 2nd princes in the novel , they are quite heroes in the novel and died one as well. Prince Han is quite a war god with his fearsome army (unfortunately defeated by SFHY) and Prince Lu (Crowned Prince) is the perfect heir to the throne. He lead an army to fight against rebels and when they are surrounded, he stay behind and died fighting rather than escape.) MYS escaped the palace with the mentality of "why do I have to pick up this mess you all left behind, let someone else take over, I am getting out of here to fine my Panxi” lol However, on the way, he witnessed and experienced what this world had become (rebel soldiers killing innocent people, own solders are abusing powers and people turning into animals in order to survive) and he realized that he can’t escape anymore. He made a pact with the dwarf to gain some really cool weapons and inspire all those people who were running for their lives to fight back and formed his own army to come back to the throne he abandoned earlier.

MRHJ – He was not thrown out in the street when he was a baby and he was not prophesized to be the king. He grew up bathing in the honor and pride of being a MuRu but he is a free spirit that can’t be caged by rules and restrictions, so he often goes out and live on the street and roam the land like a wolf. His father let him go out and do whatever he wants but threaten him never to use the MuRu names to get any different treatment from people. So he sort of live a double live while growing up. In the novel, MRHJ is very proud of his family name and believe MuRu are protectors and shared owners of this kingdom. Therefore, when his father was defeated and his family exiled, it was a tremendous defeat to his little world (he is like 9 or 10 years old at that time). He watched half of his family died traveling to Shang Province and the hopelessness and despair of trying to build a human territory in Shang Province, the land of the Titans (giants). Every time they build up a building, the Titans will come and destroy it as well as killing massive people.  Until MRHJ discovered a rare species of fire horses and defeated the Titans king. Ten years later, he, the only survivor of the MuRu, with his fire horses traveled back to the mainland. At that time, armies from all different side are gathering in front of the MuYun’s palace and all are planing to go in and take the seal and declare themselves the ruler. Until MRHJ ride to the gate and shout that he will not allow anyone to enter through this gate. MuRu protects what is theirs and for him, he can fight for the throne but no one else deserves it. He plans to put his angry and hatred aside and first defeat the intruders (SFHY’s army), then Prince Ye’s army, and finally he will fight with MYS. (In the novel, they are never really buddies but do understand each other.) I really like this scene because he is like a warrior with his pack of flaming horses standing in front of the gate to prevent any intruders. A lot of the other generals challenged him but MYHJ defeated them. No one was willing to gang up on him and kill him because if they did and take the throne, the world will view them as “bad” since MYHJ had placed himself in the role of the protector.

SFHY – He was never a slave or subordinate. The massacre of his tribes did happen but his family was not all killed. After MYS took over the throne, he signed a peace treaty with them and assigned SFHY’s father as the king of their own land so SFHY is now a prince. However, he refused to accept this situation and want to overthrow the MuYun and rule the world. He then had an argument with his father and ran away. He went to all the other tribes, shouted his intention and as a result, he gain a bunch of young followers. For ten years, he trained them as his own army. Then, he went to the mainland and declared war. He fought against MYHJ, then Prince Ye, and finally he lost to MYS.

The ending: MYS found PanXi but she left him after she found out she is pregnant because MYS don’t want her to give birth. Apparently, once Mei materialized as human, their lifespan is very short and if they give birth, it would even shorten their lives more. MYS just want to spend as much time as possible with PX rather than have a child together. Afterward, MYS passed the throne to decreased Prince Lu’s son and wander the world to search for PX. PX gave birth to a son and fell into a deep slumber. It was not mentioned whether he found PX or his son.

MYHJ defeated Prince Ye’s army and took over Wan Province. SYN found MYHJ but when he asked her to be his queen. She said she had taken a poison herb where she made a promise to marry the man who brought her three magical items. In addition, the winged race also informed him that obtaining these three items is equal to obtaining the world. SYN and MYHJ had a son together but it was not mentioned whether they got married or whether he obtained the three items.

After defeat, SFHY brought his army back to his homeland to recuperate and swore to raise and attack the mainland again. He captured Princess Jing who played a key role in his defeat. He didn’t kill her because she let him go once and he admired her. They have sort of a pact going on during her capture, if he defeated her, she will be his woman and if she defeated him, she will kill him. Every night he came to her tent but always end up being kicked out of the tent with his subordinates laughing in the background. Yet, he kept trying until he was ambushed by outsider and he came back to the tent to save her. They spent the night together while escaping and the next morning she is gone. At the end, she was mentioned in a faraway land with a baby boy in her arms.

The ending is the new beginning of an era of chaos. The world is split three ways and the next generations of these rulers will continue to play their roles and walk down their paths of this chaotic world.

The ending is quite open but I do like it because I don’t think peace and unity can be obtained in the life time of MYS, MYHJ, and SFHY but maybe generation after generation. Overall, I am glad to finish the novel in order to get some kind of closure to this story and I quite enjoy the world of Novoland! :) 

@BreezeC ... thank you so much. Love the ending of the book. I thought the drama version was good too, except for the repetition of the story which made for slow pacing. Thank you for sharing the book story, now there is closure. 

For those who are thinking of watching this, go right ahead. For those who are comparing this to GOT (game of thrones), be my guest.  But if you are going to watch this and expect something that has cohesion, do not watch this garbage.

The GOT production quality is definitely there.  Award winning for the costumes and camera work.  But that's about it.  All that fluff and the editing/story is just extremely non-cohesive.  Simply put, if you think GOT is slow, this is worse.  If you think GOT has action, this has none except maybe the last few episodes.  

The worse thing about this series is that it goes NO WHERE.  A ton of replaying of past scenes that amount to nothing but annoyance and having to fast forward most of the latter half of the episodes.  

The most amount of work was put into the costume designs and props.  This sets the bar for mainland chinese costume dramas.  I mean from lighting 1000 REAL candles to the tea cups are just high production value.  That money was probably spent overboard on the costumes and props alone.  Ran out of money so they stretch the series.  

This entire series is beautiful visually, the acting is great but the entire story line is meh at best.  Ending is an absolute WTF and you'll end up throwing your remote at the TV if you actually watched from 1 - 75.  It's extremely slow to start and even worse near the end.  A lot of conversations that get no where.  Again, my biggest hate for this thing is the storyline and editing.  Complete clusterfcuk.  

The most annoying is that suyuning.  Just shack the F up with Han Jiang already.  All this BS courtsy nonsense.  The top three characters that are the most annoying in this order:

Muyun Luan/Muyun De (perverted looking dooshy bag)

Nanku Yueli/

Shuofeng Heye

Aside from the fancy tea parties, the action choreography (sprinkling some here and there) is pretty great.  Characters are believable to possess some wuxia but too little of this.  Tons of repeated footage from past scenes.  Tons of slow movements from bowing to walking in.  Just alot of time used up for really nothing.  SLOW.

They even got a 3rd eye raven lookalike character lol.  Overall, this entire series should be commended for production value the costumes and props are outstanding.  

disclaimer: I watched the raw chinese version, not english subbed.  If you are waiting for english subbed, please save yourself the torture!

On 1/25/2018 at 6:50 AM, chuqiao said:

For those who are thinking of watching this, go right ahead. For those who are comparing this to GOT (game of thrones), be my guest.  But if you are going to watch this and expect something that has cohesion, do not watch this garbage.

The GOT production quality is definitely there.  Award winning for the costumes and camera work.  But that's about it.  All that fluff and the editing/story is just extremely non-cohesive.  Simply put, if you think GOT is slow, this is worse.  If you think GOT has action, this has none except maybe the last few episodes.  

The worse thing about this series is that it goes NO WHERE.  A ton of replaying of past scenes that amount to nothing but annoyance and having to fast forward most of the latter half of the episodes.  

The most amount of work was put into the costume designs and props.  This sets the bar for mainland chinese costume dramas.  I mean from lighting 1000 REAL candles to the tea cups are just high production value.  That money was probably spent overboard on the costumes and props alone.  Ran out of money so they stretch the series.  

This entire series is beautiful visually, the acting is great but the entire story line is meh at best.  Ending is an absolute WTF and you'll end up throwing your remote at the TV if you actually watched from 1 - 75.  It's extremely slow to start and even worse near the end.  A lot of conversations that get no where.  Again, my biggest hate for this thing is the storyline and editing.  Complete clusterfcuk.  

The most annoying is that suyuning.  Just shack the F up with Han Jiang already.  All this BS courtsy nonsense.  The top three characters that are the most annoying in this order:

Muyun Luan/Muyun De (perverted looking dooshy bag)

Nanku Yueli/

Shuofeng Heye

Aside from the fancy tea parties, the action choreography (sprinkling some here and there) is pretty great.  Characters are believable to possess some wuxia but too little of this.  Tons of repeated footage from past scenes.  Tons of slow movements from bowing to walking in.  Just alot of time used up for really nothing.  SLOW.

They even got a 3rd eye raven lookalike character lol.  Overall, this entire series should be commended for production value the costumes and props are outstanding.  

disclaimer: I watched the raw chinese version, not english subbed.  If you are waiting for english subbed, please save yourself the torture!

Mostly agreed with your review especially the slow part.  The only reason why I finished it till the end and skipping all the boring dialogues and flashbacks is I want to know if the prophecy came to pass but end up being really disappointed with the ending that is not even an ending.

Would not recommend to others to watch this drama and waste their time over it.

16 hours ago, dashmount20 said:

Look like season 2 coming.

Cos they havent complete the mission built new nation. 

Suqin already transform.. So... Next is...

Nanxi yueli seems like pretending...

The ending is like.... New season 2 is coming... 

I hope there is a season 2 - but hope they learn to edit better, and cut to the chase more, not so much flash back time.  Doubt if they do it again, that they will spend so much money on sets and costumes etc. Production cost was a way over the top for this one. But beautiful cinematography,  There was much to enjoy.   

Archived