[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

5 hours ago, maskros said:

RX didn't 'deal' anything with Yu Tan. This is what happened in BBJX:

Reveal hidden contents

After witnessing many deaths following 4th's ascendance to the throne, RX tried to get YT away from the palace (still oblivious to the fact that YT was connected to 9th). 4th, now the emperor, agreed, but it was YT who insisted on staying, saying it's because she wanted to be with RX. She met no objection from RX.

Now in the palace, YT started to cause a rift in the relationship between 4th and his son and between RX & 4th too. Of course, RX didn't know about this, and she actually didn't know about any of YT's shady practices until witnessing her death and got told by 4th about YT's betrayal. So basically she didn't have the opportunity to confront YT.

@churasan: Well, in the original novel it was a little bit clearer about 14th's feelings toward RX. However, as his love was meant to be silent, the best undercover love in the whole novel, it became oblivious to RX, and since the story is told from RX's POV, it consequently became oblivious to many readers. The drama wasn't too clear on this front either and they omitted one key detail, that is 14th's retaining RX's hairpin after she risked her life to save him from the Emperor's wrath. If you don't mind a spoiler, here are the signs, which will be more obvious from the novel:

Reveal hidden contents

14th's feeling for RX wasn't straightforward and came with a lot of back and forth travelling.

1) He first liked her (like, very impressed) during 10th's birthday where RX sang a song for 10th. It was him who told 8th about RX's singing and it was later these two men (8th & 14th) who asked RX to sing for them (14th asked her more than once, once after 10th's birthday and once near the time of her death), a sign that they were in love with her and wanted to be seen & treated as special by her. In other words, they both wanted to be in RX's spotlight. 14th later told the Mongolian princess that he first liked RX hearing her song. RX thought he was just making up the story to protect his cover, because she would never expect that he would actually harbour feelings for her, judging from how he had disagreed with her quite some times in the past.

2) If you remember the first time when RX and Wulu met where she was sitting with 13th & Wulu and met 14th and his noble followers, you will notice that he quickly jumped to offer to take RX home. It was very obvious in the novel too and showed that he had this tendency of being protective and possessive in his love.

3) His feeling for RX, however, wasn't consistent at first because it was frequently overshadowed by his absolute loyalty to 8th. Since he loved and cared for both of them, he started to aggressively ship them. A fan who noticed this called this 'emotional laundering'; that is, when you can't or don't want to admit to your true feeling for some reason, you start to ship/ tease the person you like with someone else as a form of denial. I don't know if everyone has seen this before but I have witnessed a fair share during my junior/ secondary school days.14th was doing this and at some point he genuinely thought it would be good for both RX and 8th to be together since he knew they had mutual feelings. Granted, men in those days don't care too much about what women think, so it was very natural that he took 8th's side and turned rather nasty to RX when her love with 8th ended.

4) Now came the time when RX risked her life to protect 14th. When she won in the horse race against the Mongolian princess, she told the horsekeeper to throw away her bloodstained hairpin, but 14th told the servant to hand it to him, and he kept it until the end of her day. His retaining the hairpin wasn't shown in the drama, and we only knew its fate when Tong Hua revealed it in her epilogues, which were published much later. In it, 4th, after punishing 14th by keeping him under confinement, took away this hairpin and later left a letter to 14th after his (4th's) death, saying he gave 14th freedom (from both the confinement and from his love to RX) by taking the hairpin away with him to his grave.

5) After the horse race, the Mongolian princess chased after RX jokingly and both 13th and 9th teasingly gave RX up to the princess. Only 14th stood out to block the princess when RX ran to hide behind his back. I would call 4 & 5 the time when his feeling finally ripen to love. This was after RX and 8th broke up and both wiped it clean (not really with 8th, but he told 14th to not disturb RX anymore after his angry outburst with her, so it implied that 14th took it to mean that 8th was also willing to let RX go). 14th's feeling now was no longer restrained by his loyalty to 8th and could fully blossom.

6) Like a previous poster said, it was him to beg for RX when she was kneeling days on end in the rain. It was also him who asked the Emperor to grant RX to him THREE times when she was under punishment working as a laundry maid. 

7) Then we've got the rain scene. In the novel, the rain scene was both meaningful and symbolic, not for 4th & RX, RX & 8th, but also for RX & 14th. 14th brought RX lotus cake. This wasn't made clear in the drama, but it followed RX's explanation to 10th, using candied sweet and lotus cake figuratively to persuade him to get over his infatuation for her (the past/the candied sweet) to come to appreciate his wife (the present/ the lotus cake). 14th bringing lotus to RX under the rain was symbolic in that the writer implied he would become RX's lotus cake, the one who is always there, the one she would rely on but also the one she took for granted while she was chasing a shadow, a love that could never be (4th). The Emperor, after hearing about RX's candied/lotus cake analogy, also asked her whether she would be able to see past what is impossible to appreciate what is closer and more attainable. The fact that 14th brought her lotus cake also suggested that he remembered her favourite treat even if the story she told 10th might have been pure figurative, and also suggested that he wished to be the one she would turn to acknowledge, just as she hoped 10th would turn and acknowledge the significance of his wife in his life.

8) When RX was married to 14th, RX's personal maid had to wonder about 14th's knowledge of RX's very personal habits (of liking to have a bath with flower petals strewn in the bathtub & not having anyone close to her while she was bathing). In the drama, there was a similar scene where RX was having a bath alone with flower petals in her bathtub. Fans' guess is that since YT accompanied RX almost everywhere, she knew first hand about this, and since YT was very close to 9th who in turn had a connection with 8th gang (&14th too), 14th might have learned this from YT. Well, if he was merely a friend like 13th, there wouldn't be any reason for him to be so meticulous to her liking and very private habit would there?

9) When RX stayed at 14th's manor, there were more than once that 14th got his hope up only to be dampened by RX's mentioning of 4th's name. This was also very suggestive of his quiet love for her.

So yeah, 14th was there all along, but his love isn't meant to be made public. It is meant to be the lotus cake, the one taken for granted, the one quiet & subtle. Judging from how many fans (including me) have missed his tell-tale signs, Tong Hua was very successful in crafting his side of the love story. 

It's simply the intention of the writer in Moon Lovers to make 14th's love more known.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this time.  Wow!  That's a whole other love story that could give both the 8th and 4th princes a run for their money! :w00t: I never knew it ran that deep.  It's so sad that the dramas aren't long enough to develop it more.  Who says they can't have a main lead and 2 second leads? :P

In my job, I need to think critically and creatively all the time.  So when I watch dramas, I just want to be entertained and not have to analyze things too deeply.  Of course, this makes me miss a lot of stuff such as subtle nuances, foreshadowing, and symbolism of things, etc.... like the whole thing with the 14th prince.  There are so many things with SCR that I would have never of guessed if it were not for what people write in these posts.  Like the whole prediction about HS being a beautician.  I thought "Oh, how nice - a typical career for women her age." I never would have guessed she was given that ability for the purpose of covering up WS's scar.  It wasn't until all the predictions from this forum that made me realize her job would play such an important role in the story.  But, one positive thing about just watching for entertainment value is that things like the music, editing, etc. don't bother me since I don't analyze what could be better or done differently.  They are what they are and moving past those things allow me to simply enjoy the story.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, riuenu said:

yup, that is why I think, this is when he block the arrow for Soo...and she, nursing him back to health...I think he should be badly injured...by Yo arrow..that LION KING...arghhhhhhh

Wait.. if he's injured.. then he would not be able to.... :huh:
No bed scene? :blink:

• Like 5

[Lyrics for 달의 연인 - 보보경심 려 OST Part 13] 임도혁 (Do Hyeok Lim) - 안녕 (Goodbye)

OST Youtube link

Spoiler

The English translaton of the lyrics hit me hard again...I guess, this is from So point of view...after Soo had gone..

English translation 

Do you remember?
A guy who wanted to protect you
I got chocked up when I see you
It feels like I’m going to cry

Love you, I’ll remember you forever
Because I wanted to protect you

I was behind of you while you’re leaving
I was looking at you with tears

One day when you think of me
Or when you miss me
Please come find me whenever
Even time goes by

My forever lover, goodbye even I miss you
goodbye for you
I’ll smile for you who live in my mind
goodbye for now

Love you, I’ll remember you forever
Because I wanted to protect you

I was behind of you while you’re leaving
I was looking at you with tears

One day when you think of me
Or when you miss me
Please come find me whenever
Even time goes by

goodbye for you
goodbye for now

Wait for me with hiding sad words
Just go without saying
Please don’t look back at me

I couldn’t say this word
The one who I love the most in the world is you

goodbye for you
goodbye for now

Hangul

Spoiler

기억하고 있니
널 지켜주고 싶던 한사람
코끝이 찡해져 널
바라보면 눈물이 날것 같아

사랑해 너만을 기억해 언제나
지켜주고 싶던 나라서

떠나가는 너의 뒤에서
울먹이며 너를 바라보고 있었어

살다가 내가 생각날때
어느날엔가 그리울때
언제든 나를 찾아와줘
세월이 흐른대도

영원히 내 사랑 그리워도 난 안녕
너를 위해서 나는 안녕
내가슴속에서
살아있는 널위해 웃을게
이제는 안녕

사랑해 너만을 기억해 언제나
지켜주고 싶던 나라서

떠나가는 너의 뒤에서
울먹이며 너를 바라보고 있었어

살다가 내가 생각날때
어느날엔가 그리울때
언제든 나를 찾아와줘
세월이 흐른대도

영원히 내 사랑
그리워도 난 안녕
너를 위해서 나는 안녕
내가슴속에서
살아있는 널위해 웃을게
이제는 안녕

기다려줘 가슴 아픈 말을 숨긴채
그저 돌아서줘 인사없이 가줘
날 돌아보지 말아줘

너에게 고백하고 싶은
이 말 아직 하지 못했어

내 생에 가장
사랑했던 사람은 너였다고 말할게

내 사랑 그리워도 난 안녕
너를 위해서 나는 안녕
내 가슴속에서
살아있는 널위해 웃을게
이제는 안녕

Romanization

Spoiler

gieokhago issni
neol jikyeojugo sipdeon hansaram
kokkeuti jjinghaejyeo neol
barabomyeon nunmuri nalgeot gata

saranghae neomaneul gieokhae eonjena
jikyeojugo sipdeon naraseo

tteonaganeun neoui dwieseo
ulmeogimyeo neoreul barabogo isseosseo

saldaga naega saenggaknalttae
eoneunarenga geuriulttae
eonjedeun nareul chajawajwo
sewori heureundaedo

yeongwonhi nae sarang geuriwodo nan annyeong
neoreul wihaeseo naneun annyeong
naegaseumsogeseo
saraissneun neorwihae useulge
ijeneun annyeong

saranghae neomaneul gieokhae eonjena
jikyeojugo sipdeon naraseo

tteonaganeun neoui dwieseo
ulmeogimyeo neoreul barabogo isseosseo

saldaga naega saenggaknalttae
eoneunarenga geuriulttae
eonjedeun nareul chajawajwo
sewori heureundaedo

yeongwonhi nae sarang
geuriwodo nan annyeong
naegaseumsogeseo
ijeneun annyeong

gidaryeojwo gaseum apeun mareul sumginchae
geujeo doraseojwo insaeopsi gajwo
nal doraboji marajwo

neoege gobaekhago sipeun
i mal ajik haji moshaesseo

nae saenge gajang
saranghaessdeon sarameun neoyeossdago malhalge

nae sarang geuriwodo nan annyeong
nae gaseumsogeseo
ijeneun annyeong

credit to https://ilyricsbuzz.com/2016/10/do-hyeok-lim-goodbye-moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ost.html

• Like 15

1 hour ago, soorani said:

I think you guys are being too harsh on Hae Soo, as some people have already pointed out it wasn't about her not trusting So, but more about her trying to avoid her premonitions to happen. 

I agree with you :)

Trusting people is not easy even though you love them. People with broken heart and disappointment to someone in the past may understand this better. It's hard to trust anyone completely like before :(This 'trusting' thing process in this drama is actually very realistic which made me quite impressed.

There are two type of trust in this drama that I can conclude:

1. The foolish trust (like the first time we fall in love and we're completely blind by love) from Hae Soo to Wook,

2. The slow-process trust (already disappointed with many people so can't easily trust people anymore) from Hae Soo to Wang So. 

I can't blame Hae Soo for not trusting Wang So in some aspects,  A mature woman must be independent by herself and not trusting anyone completely. It shows how Hae Soo has changed a lot and matured. Her self-reliance is also high this time. I know trust is the key for successful relationship, but apparently too much trust will also end up with too much disappointment.

The writer has done a good job :) and I believe he/she has the same trust issue in the past so he/she can wrote story like this. Daebak! :D

• Like 15

1 minute ago, penelop3 said:

Wait.. if he's injured.. then he would not be able to.... :huh:
No bed scene? :blink:

i don't know but the passionate kiss in the bedroom and it does't help WS in his under cloth..... LOL

this is the type of kiss that if don't end up on the bed it will end up awkward... i mean did they say goodnight and then go to sleep??? LOL

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, violet90 said:

i don't know but the passionate kiss in the bedroom and it does't help WS in his under cloth..... LOL

this is the type of kiss that if don't end up on the bed it will end up awkward... i mean did they say goodnight and then go to sleep??? LOL

the kiss is too passionate not to continue from there..

• Like 9

I don't get the Hae Su hate at all. She's been consistent in her motivations. When SD says why don't you trust your love, she's asking the wrong question. Hae Su does trust Wang So, but so far, NO ONE has been able to escape from her vision. Her visions are 100% accurate. And maybe it's stupid of her to try to change the vision, but that's who she is. She kneeled for 3 days in knowing that it would only upset the king and probably wouldn't save Lady Oh. She's a character who is selfless through and through and honestly, that's why Wang So loves her. That's the part of her that he's in love with, not because she's beautiful, but because her heart is so open at a time when everyone is working with ulterior motives. 

It's not that she doesn't trust Wang So, it's that she wants to prevent the tragedy of him having to kill Eun the way that she saw in her vision. That's a self-less act because she knows how deep traumatic it is to have to kill his own brothers. 

• Like 20

[SBS version missing or reedited scene for episode 15]

Hmmmm ehhhhhh you mean international version do not have the below hug scene?

See how precious is Soo to So..dont..kill her....

I will update here as much before I go sleep...

Credit  @mantou_0208 

More in Spoiler tag

Spoiler

• Like 20

2 hours ago, antiherofans said:

Is there any chance LJG still win the award even though SHR rating is low? Can't they consider his outstanding acting skill as Wang So?

God, this is really frustrating. I really hope LJG get the award he deserve :bawling:

Spoiler

The only thing they care about is the amount of money that an actor/actress bring in their pockets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soorani said:

@riuenu

THOSE LYRICS ARE SO SAD! IM CRYING   :tears: Thank you for them btw

-----

I'll be devasted when this drama ends. Either because I love it so much or because it will be an extremely sad ending ( it seems like will be both)

think we can hug and cry together here when the drama end...I already love SoHae too much...

and..I think the ending will be extremely sad for Goryeo timing...given from those OST that had been thrown to us...

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, riuenu said:

yup, that is why I think, this is when he block the arrow for Soo...and she, nursing him back to health...I think he should be badly injured...by Yo arrow..that LION KING...arghhhhhhh

31 minutes ago, Razmotte Cazabon said:

He looks ill! his face is weird

Oh, I thought he looks like he's overcome with passion and desire - the kind that you're unable to control yourself?! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

CAN SOMEONE WRITE A FANFIC PLEASE! 

• Like 6

Just watched with subs.

Something interesting I found: Jimong appears to be surprised that Yo became King after Mu because he thought that all Yo would amount to was a traitor (he was born under a star of treason). And from the way he was talking before, So was supposed to be King after Mu died. There was no mention of Yo being born under a King's star. If this is so, then that means that the history Soo remembers is actually the history in the future (that So kills his brothers) and not the real history we have (that he only kills Won and a couple of nephews). Jimong is wondering how and why things changed and the answer is: Soo.

Of course it's her. History was meant to be how we know it to be--that Taejo died, Mu becomes king, Yo becomes king and then So becomes king, and he kills Won and the nephews. Therefore, Soo's presence changed the history she and Jimong knew. I find this very interesting because I believe it's been speculated already, that maybe the history Soo remembered was not just her being a bad student. While she may not have had all the details, she did remember that So became a cruel king who killed his brothers. Therefore, she did change the future. However, just because she managed to change some things doesn't mean she was able to change all. Remember that historical accounts talk about there being rumors that So and Yo conspired to kill Mu. That's how it would appear to people who just saw/heard Yo storm the palace a traitor and come out a King with So as his dog.

The future Soo will go back to will have reflected these changes and she'll be the only one to remember what it initially was.

• Like 22

You know who I can no more tolerate ? Jung, he is more frustrating than HS will ever be, he just likes to live in his ignorant bubble bliss and blame everything on WS, I was actually hopeful height turn around and not be like his mother, alas I was completely wrong. I never though I would come to hate a character acted by the lovable Ji-Soo

• Like 15

2 hours ago, sandjh said:

This is interesting to read but I disagree with it. There are no need for parallels if it will result in the same outcome..

I think someone mentioned this before as well; while all four ladies love King Tae Jo/Wang So in their own way, Wang So and King Taejo prioritize differently.

King Taejo places being King as priority while Wang So places the ones he cares about the most as priority. King Taejo mentioned something like that in order to protect the throne sometimes his loved ones must be killed (Lady Oh's death).

I think also, while YH can be quite cruel and calculative, she also can be quite soft. I think she has shown more vulnerable moments in comparison to Queen Yoo.

----

Soon Deok and Jung are cute. I liked their moments together.

I hope QY is the one who ends WY hahah

@MoOnLoVeRz I agree with @sandjh. Just because there are some parallels between Taejo-lady Oh and Wang So-Hae Soo, this doesn't mean that the separation will be the same because Taejo and Wang So are prioritizing differently: Taejo had the ambition to become King, while Wang So wants to be loved and to protect his loved ones. He mentioned to his father, he couldn't just throw Hae Soo away. However, when Taejo accepted lady Oh's request, Taejo mentioned that she was the one who was throwing him away. He implied with this that she was the one who had power over him, the king. So Wang So was wrong in the sense that he thought, Lady Oh had become the victim of his father. Yet, she was the one who decided to leave the king. Sure, he could have saved her too by acting differently. Nevertheless, the throne was his priority. Lady Oh had enough to support him and had suffered for too long in silence by his side. In my opinion - I am hoping - that Wang So and Hae Soo will separate differently: Wang So notices how much she suffers by staying by his side that he decides to let her leave the palace. He will "throw her away" so that she can be safe from that palace. I am hoping that this will happen because this would make a huge difference between him and his father: his selflessness in opposite to his father who wanted lady Oh by his side without giving up anything.

• Like 24