[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really upset me was the reaction of the students at the school and people from the town Injoo: Both had a similar reaction. They were pointing at the victim as if she was the perpetrator. A lot of them knew that PSW was the scapegoat like f. ex. the father of the raped victim, yet they insulted PSW or wrote insults on the wall, well aware that it wasn't really true.

Their behavior reminded me of the behavior of people from the Middle-Age who loved to have a scapegoat in order to get released from their misery (Jews during the Black pest 1347 in Europe; Witches in the 16th Century aso). 

Their behaviour illustrates that it wasn't about getting justice in the end, but rather getting rid of a problem by finding a culprit.

@Mico Ricco Thank you for the DVD link... am pretty lost in there (really should have signed up for Hangul classes!) but looks like the demand is looking really good - 2,527 for BluRay and 2,165 for DVD sets as at 7 Mar 2016, 12:53AM. Not sure whether this will be the Director's Cut or not... certainly would be awesome if it were. Will have a look at some of the regular sites that offer them and hopefully see more details in a language I can read :P 

@Ginaaaa I own the Director's Cut for LOTR and Hobbit... and the Appendices is truly an emotional journey in itself. I think I teared up so much watching the Appendices of Hobbit:Battle of the Five Armies... knowing that it is well and truly the end of an amazing era that spanned 15 years of my life. On the Kdrama side, the only one I do own is Master's Sun, which I truly truly love, and rue the fact that I do not understand Korean without subs. Wanted to but never did get around to buying the Director's Cut set for 3Days... was eyeing the Japanese edition which had a wealth of information, but again, lack of subs stayed my hand at the time. Argh.

The poster is for director's cut.  If you go to daum or facebook pages, there are posts that say inquiery to determine the demand level for director's cut and others that just say dvd or bluray.  Thus, it is not clear whether the number requested corresponds to director's cut or general or broadcasted cut.

Yonhap News Agency

March 7, 2016

KBS sweeps weekly viewership, tvN leads cable with 'Signal'

By Park Sojung

SEOUL, March 7 (Yonhap) -- Terrestrial network KBS beat rivals MBC and SBS in three of the most popular drama time slots with "Sweet Home, Sweet Honey," "Five Children" and "Descendants of the Sun," data showed Monday.

"Sweet Home, Sweet Honey," a KBS 1TV drama, was viewed by 26.5 percent of TV homes between last Monday to Sunday, Nielsen Korea data showed. The show follows four young Koreans trying to keep their hope alive in the face of mounting debt and family drama.

MBC's "Beautiful You," on the same Monday-Friday night time slot, finished with roughly half that viewership at 13.2 percent.

KBS 2TV's "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

KBS 2TV's "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

On the weekend drama front, KBS 2TV's "Five Children" dominated with 25.6 percent of viewers, followed by MBC's "Marriage Contract" at 17.6 percent and "Happy Home" on the same network at 14.5 percent.

"Five Children" tells the love story between a woman betrayed by her cheating husband and a widower. The two fall for one another despite having a total of five children together.

"Descendants of the Sun," starring actor Song Joong-ki and actress Song Hye-kyo, reigned supreme in the Wednesday-Thursday 10 p.m. time slot with 23.7 percent.

In the show simultaneously airing in South Korea and China, Song Joong-ki plays an Army captain dispatched to a war-torn country called Uruk. There, he falls in love with a doctor (Song Hye-kyo) who volunteers as part of a medical NGO, Doctors without Borders.

Finishing behind "Descendants of the Sun" last week were SBS' "Please Come Back, Mister" and MBC's "One More Happy Ending," both of which ended with a single-digit viewership.

tvN continued to crush the cable game with time-travel crime thriller "Signal," which drew 10.4 percent of viewers. Season three of the same network's travel reality show "Youth over Flowers" followed with 8.8 percent. The network owned by CJ E&M swept eight of the top 10 spots among cable shows.

Characters in the tvN drama "Signal." (Yonhap)

Characters in the tvN drama "Signal." (Yonhap) Characters in the tvN drama "Signal." (Yonhap)

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

I had goosebumps when the still bleeding LJH determinedly walked out of the hospital, focused on only one thing, to save PSW. I said to myself, this drama couldn't get any better than that. LJH unmistakably had swagger and at that very instance, I was so convinced he'll be able to save PSW, waving that red scarf for everyone to see as evidence. Echoing @40somethingahjumma's sentiments - Nobody can stop someone as pissed as him right? Right? 

But this drama's theme is dark, so hoping for a happy resolution is like wishing for something impossible to happen. There is a strong probability that one of our three main characters might not survive these chain of events.

When PHY revealed to CSH about the transmissions he had been getting from the two way radio, he went on about having been able to change events but they were not without repercussions was definitely foreshadowing. Will it be PHY? A guy with nothing to lose and whose sole purpose for living was to clear his late brother's tarnished name? He doesn't care if he'd die doing what he's doing for as long as his brother's wrongful death is avenged. 

What about CSH? She wants to catch the people responsible for LJH's death, then what? Move on? Live like a normal person? She once died, wouldn't the universe right itself and belatedly claim her? She's like PHY, they're both willing to go into the deep end just to achieve their goals and it's scary. 

LJH, I supposse logically, he'll probably be the one who'll remain dead. Even if he saves the course of PSW's life, he'll end up being being targeted by KBJ and company. But here's the thing, LJH wanted to eradicate the blight that has pervaded the police force. If he's able to reveal and bring to justice, all the shenanigans, unlawful killings and corruption that has affected the police during his time, then I guess dying for that cause would be all worth it. I do have this romantic vision for LJH if he survives, I'd love to see him be the police superintendent instead of the unworthy KBJ.  

@liddi I truly love your posts. So there was evidence at the hospital! Not hidden at ACS's daughter's room though, lol. I didn't see that coming. So they're going with PSW incapable of commiting suicide because he had high levels of a certain narcotic agent in his blood stream at the time of his death, umm wow. I wonder, how were they able to administer the drug? 

I don't want this drama to end just yet. I agree with the other netizens -  tvN please give us another season! :w00t:

32 minutes ago, drmjs said:

But this drama's theme is dark, so hoping for a happy resolution is like wishing for something impossible to happen. There is a strong probability that one of our three main characters might not survive these chain of events.

It's always darkest before the dawn. :).

When PHY revealed to CSH about the transmissions he had been getting from the two way radio, he went on about having been able to change event but they were not without repercussions was definitely foreshadowing. Will it be PHY? A guy with nothing to lose and whose sole purpose for living was to clear his late brother's tarnished name? He doesn't care if he'd die doing what he's doing for as long as his brother's wrongful death is avenged. 

That! Right there, that may be the key into the writer's mind.

While I don't like predicting the ending to a story that is as good as this one is, I'm getting ready to lose PHY.  :tears:

13 minutes ago, Ginaaaa said:

It's always darkest before the dawn. :).

That! Right there, that may be the key into the writer's mind.

While I don't like predicting the ending to a story that is as good as this one is, I'm getting ready to lose PHY.  :tears:

Now that I think about it if we lose future PHY (PHY dies in the current time) we'll still gain a happier (hopefully) PHY from the past. 

I don't remember which episode this particular scene was in but I remember LJH requesting PHY that if he needs a reminder in the future to wack him in the head/kick him lol? 

Anyone else thinks that if LJH successfully saves PSW

Spoiler

then someone dear to him is going to pay the price-LJH's dad? KBJ did warn him to take care of his family no? That could be the final push for LJH to go all out in destroying KBJ, and inevitably cause his own downfall too.(If that happens I'm hoping he would at least  leave evidence for any surviving leads to clear his name 15 years later ;_;)

OMG just finished ep 14 and darn it, I need more. The suspense is killing me. I love this drama and CITT PD show took some pointers on good directing and plot.

That big shocker. I literally thought it was all just about the Injoo case that the chief call PHY to Injoo hospital but man, who knew it was deeper than that. This drama never fail to amaze me with its excellent plot and direction. The entire time I was like PHY believing his hyung commit suicide but to find him dying because he was murder put a double wedge to my heart, particular him dying under consciousness.

Now the clock ticks as to whether LJH will be able to save Sunwoo. My heart wants to say yes but I gave a feeling that he won't be able to. Through all the tranmission, one life saved mean another life dead or destoyed (like an equivalent exhange - Fullmetal alchemist anime) and seeing LHJ running out bleeding, I feel like saving Sunwoo could mean LJH death (even though we know when he died, the course of the story could alter it). The exchange for one life to another.

The preview show a high possibility of that happening. It just seem like it wasn't meant to no matter how much they tried to alter it. Sunwoo calling LJH yet fate place LJH to catch the burglar with CSH and got hurt in the process.

I really wish for Sunwoo to live because a kind-hearted kid like that do not serve that type of injustice but I feel like his life is one that isn't meant to alter. And why does my gut feeling tells me that the person who murder Sunwoo is no other than KBJ. He seem to been push and cast aside and getting the scarf would be his guarantee to protection from the Congressman? It's sad that the limitation does not consist of rape so the rapist can live a normal life as he please. 

Cannot wait until PHY tear down all these rich and powerfull and show them that justice is not determine by wealth.

If LJH & PSW survived the past, I'll trade LJH & PSW's lives with Congressman and rapist. No point for them to get arrested & go to prison as the system is corrupted. They will be out in seconds. It's better for KBJ to rot in prison alone.

Crimes in ‘Signal’ based on real Korean cases

Spoiler

The bone-chilling episodes of tvN’s crime drama “Signal,” makes viewers wonder whether the crimes depicted in the episodes are real.

They are actually based on real crimes that have taken place in the past.

For instance, the first episode of “Signal,” opened with an episode that centered on child kidnapping.

The methods and motives of the kidnappers in the episode are based on an incident that happened in 1997 called the “Park Chorong Bitnari Kidnapping-Murder Case.” It gained national attention back then for the child’s long and unique name, after whom the case was named.

Park’s kidnapped had requested ransom for the child’s life, then proceeded to murder Park in cold blood. The shocking aspect of the crime was that the kidnapper turned out to be a woman who was 8 months pregnant. The crime left the nation in shock and mourning for Park’s death.

The South Gyeonggi province case featured in the second episode of the series is based on one of the most famous serial killings in Korean history, the “Hwaseong Serial Murders.” The incident was shocking enough to spawn several fictional works based on the actual case such the famous 2003 flick, “Memories of Murder”--featuring actor Song Kang-ho.

Spoiler

A series of rape and murder cases occurred sporadically over a period of five years starting from 1986. The killer -- who remains unidentified -- raped and murdered at least 10 different victims. Due to the lack of technology in crime investigation in South Korea at the time, this has become a cold case and the killer remains uncaught.

Spoiler

In another episode of “Signal,” a rape case occurs in Inju, a fictional city in the drama. However, the case is based on what happened in Miryang in 2004, known as the “Miryang Gang Rape Case.” Several middle-school and high-school girls were gang raped by at least 41 male students and the victims were blamed instead. However, the parents of the offenders said that the victims’ behavior had caused the crime. The drama “Signal” focuses on the pain of the rape victims and sheds light on how the offenders received light sentences despite their crime.

Source

Looks like this article may be based on the same video that you shared with us @Mico Ricco.

Will catch up on the thread now.

I started watching this drama last week. It made me think about the movie Han Gong Ju 한공주's  Miryang gang rape case of 2004.That story really broke my heart. This is my first time seeing the main lead in a drama. He is doing a good job so far I might have to check some of his other works. I know this will sound strange but there are times I think Lee Je-hoon is Kim Soo-hyun hahaha they look alike to me. My fav part of this drama is Cho Jin-woong I loved him since Deep Rooted Tree (뿌리 깊은). He is such a great officer I really admire his character so much in this drama. But I'm only on ep 12 of this drama so I'm scared to read comments above cause there might be spoilers :). However, after I watch the 14 eps I'll come back and read everyone's feedback on this drama.

Thank you for the video of  Jo Jin Woong past acting role, @Mico Ricco.  I don't think I am ready to say goodbye to him next week....

23 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I suppose it makes sense for the sake of believability to have CSH discover Lee Jae Han's remains first before finding out about the transmissions. It was probably necessary for her to come to terms with his death with all the evidence under her nose and then be forced to accept (against all the known laws that govern the universe) that the transmissions are really coming from the past.

Great point, @40somethingahjumma.Thank you. 

@liddi, I am loving all of your posts, and this week's is no exception.  (pg. 69) Thank you!

12809568_10207478542616177_7218033656760

I hope so.....

Archived