[Movie 2014] Han Gong Ju 한공주

jwand

Guest IguanaSoap

'Han Gong-ju' picked as best film of 2014 by Korean film reporters

HAN-GONG-JU_Press-Kit_Eng.jpg

SEOUL, Jan. 26 (Yonhap) -- The Korean film reporters' association said Monday that it has chosen "Han Gong-ju," a film about the life of a high school girl, as the best homegrown picture of 2014.

The feature film by director Lee Su-jin was chosen to win Best Picture from the Korea Film Reporters Association, beating out the latest box-office sensations "Roaring Currents" and "Ode to My Father." Chun Woo-hee won the Best Actress award for "Han Gong-ju."

The movie has been highly acclaimed at home and abroad, picking up top prizes at the 43rd International Film Festival Rotterdam and several other film festivals. It tells the story of a high school girl named Han Gong-ju who moved and changed schools after becoming involved in a nasty situation.

Choi Min-shik received the Best Actor award for "Roaring Currents," a historical drama about a 16th-century Korean naval hero's crushing victory over Japanese naval forces, while the best director went to Kim Seong-hun for "A Hard Day."

Yoo Hae-jin of "The Pirates" and Jo Yeo-jeong of "Obsessed" won Best Supporting actor and Actress, respectively.

(Yonhap News)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IguanaSoap

'Han Gong-ju' picked as best film of 2014 by Korean film reporters

IZr3KO5.jpg?1

The Korean film reporters' association said Monday that it has chosen "Han Gong-ju," a film about the life of a high school girl, as the best homegrown picture of 2014.

The feature film by director Lee Su-jin was chosen to win Best Picture from the Korea Film Reporters Association, beating out the latest box-office sensations "Roaring Currents" and "Ode to My Father." Chun Woo-hee won the Best Actress award for "Han Gong-ju."

The movie has been highly acclaimed at home and abroad, picking up top prizes at the 43rd International Film Festival Rotterdam and several other film festivals. It tells the story of a high school girl named Han Gong-ju who moved and changed schools after becoming involved in a nasty situation.

Choi Min-shik received the Best Actor award for "Roaring Currents," a historical drama about a 16th-century Korean naval hero's crushing victory over Japanese naval forces, while the best director went to Kim Seong-hun for "A Hard Day."

Yoo Hae-jin of "The Pirates" and Jo Yeo-jeong of "Obsessed" won Best Supporting actor and Actress, respectively.

Documentary film by director Jin Mo-young "My Love, Don't Cross That River" about an elderly couple's devoted love received Best Independent Film.

The Korea Film Reporters Association, with 67 members in 48 media companies, chooses winners of the "Film of the Year Awards" every January from all homegrown films that opened the previous year. Winners are chosen through the members' votes.

This year's awards ceremony is scheduled for Thursday. (Yonhap)

(Korea Herald)

Guest IguanaSoap

Press pick 'Han Gong-ju' as best film

photo556345.jpg

The Korean film "Han Gong-ju" was chosen as the best domestic film of last year by the nation's journalists.

The Korean Film Reporters Association said Monday that 67 journalists who cover film selected the independent movie as last year's best local flick. The low-budget film set in a high school is based on a true story of a teenage girl who was the victim of gang rape.

Although the actual award ceremony will be held on Thursday night at the Korea Press Center in central Seoul, the association unveiled the full list of winners Monday.

Actress Cheon Woo-hee, who played the lead role in "Han Gong-ju", grabbed the best actress award while Choi Min-sik of "The Admiral: Roaring Currents" earned the best actor award.

Best supporting actor went to actor Yoo Hae-jin of "Pirates" and best supporting actress went to Jo Yeo-jeong of "Obsessed".

Singer and actor Park Yu-cheon, a a member of the K-pop trio JYJ, was selected as the best new actor for his role in "Haemoo".

Meanwhile, indie film "My Love, Don't Cross That River", which set a record by bringing in more than four million moviegoers, received the indie film of the year award. "Interstellar", which attracted 10 million moviegoers, received the foreign film of the year award.

(Hancinema)

To all who watched the movie: Can someone please explain the happenings in the movie to me. I watched it but i didn't exactly understand it all....

i dont get why there was a petition.. what was that petition? was it for the sake of the boys who raped han gong ju and her friend?

if yes, why wanted her alcoholic father her to sign it... also the boyfriend of her teacher's mom wanted her to sign who was a friend of her former principal?.....

what was that guy who got bullied forced to do except raping her? killing someone?

i also thought that han gong ju wanted to learn swimming because her friend committed suicide jumping from a bridge into the river?

so when han gong ju went swimming at night there actually was no one who jumped into the water but she just imagined it? cause i first thought that also was a flashback and that's why han gong ju got accused cause she was there when that girl died in the pool but it was just her imagination actually because the scene was in the present?

and the ending... was that just some kind of symbolic scene as in being a hint to han gong ju's friend's suicide and she herself wanting to perfect her swimming skills..?

too bad that we didnt see anymore how everything went further after her new school got to know about what happened to her... all that we see is how they wanted her to call them since she was embarrassed.. and when she did her friend didnt even pick up... and at the end we just hear how some people cheer on han gong ju... maybe it was some kind of swimming competition or maybe she finally tried to be a singer at the agency who contacted her due to the help of her new classmates and friend? .......but.the movie just gave away an open ending...

also i dont understand why the videos of her being raped were suddenly online since her classmates could watch it..... weird...

the switch between past and present was confusing but what i regret the most is that the director didnt really explaint all the events to the viewers...he rather gave us a brief look into the various incidents from which we only could further imagine the actual details... .. and yet his movie was really successful... hmmm but i think for example "elegant lies" was a much better movie... but that is probably only a matter of taste....

on a side note: i can't believe that the movie "norigae" which touches a similar topic as in "han gong ju" didnt get as much attention...but i dont know if the movie was actually good.. didnt see it yet..

looking forward to anyone's productive reply..^^

Guest adikkeluangman

Film magazine Cine 21 picked Chun Woo Hee as their rookie actress of the year 2014 for her performance in this movie. The copy available for January 2015 issue.B5bgekiCMAIKYNp.jpg

Guest adikkeluangman

There a rerun of this movie at CGV Art House Cinema on last December. Chun Woo Hee and movie director held a question and answer session with audience.10896288_779677472126401_97205704860097010860895_779677542126394_437196227879313

10805670_779677572126391_25732195012759210906497_779677602126388_58289684739947910900076_779677625459719_19267199625319710888903_779677642126384_532711637187677

http://heraldpop.com/view.php?ud=201412311427308629026_1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Chun Woo Hee won 2 awards at the 6th Korea Film Reporters Association (KOFRA) Film Awards for this movie. She won Best Actress and Discovery of the Year on that night.(via mwave)
Pictures of her at the red carpet and received the awards.B8g-bsvCQAATPmI.jpgB8g-b-dCAAEZmOv.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest adikkeluangman

This movie won Grand Prize and Chun Woo Hee won the best actress prize of the 2nd Wildflower Film Awards held on last Thursday.
Choi Woo Shik took picture with Chun Woo Hee at the event. He won Best New Actor in movie Set Me Free. (via JYPACTORS)10985394_1072656849417842_28989981319905

Archived