Drama: Signal

Hangul: 시그널

Genre: fantasy, crime

Network: tvN

Episodes: 16

Director: Kim Won-Suk

Writer: Kim Eun-Hee

Release Date: January 22, 2016- March 12, 2016

Runtime: Fridays – Saturdays 20:30,  time slot previously occupied by "Reply 1988."

Production Company:

OST: part 1  part 2   part 3  part 4   part 5

Official site: Official Site

Watch Online in Viki.com

Watch Online in Dramafever.com

Plot

Detectives from the present and a detective from the past communicate via walkie-talkie to solve a long-time unsolved case. 

Note

The criminal case depicted in the drama series is inspired by a true incident that occurred in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea over the course of six years (1986 - 1991). 10 women were raped and murdered within a 2km radius ranging from a 71 year-old grandmother to a 13 year old schoolgirl.

Cast

tumblr_nywijk8wz31sdd1ivo1_1280.png

Lee Je-Hoon - Park Hae-Young

Kim Hye-Soo - Cha Soo-Hyun

Jo Jin Woong- Lee Jae-Han

Hwang Tae-Gwang - Kim Jung-Je

Jang Hyun-Sung-  Ahn Chi-Soo

Jung Hae-Kyun- Kim Bum-Joo

Kim Won-Hae- Kim Gye-Chul

Lee Yoo-Joon- Jung Hun-Gi

Jung Han-Bi - Oh Yoon-Seo

Kim Min-Kyu - Duty Police Hwang

Character description

Park Hae Young (Lee Je Hoon) is a profiler on the detective team that’s been tasked to deal with long-term unsolved cases. He’s described as an ironic character, in that he’s a cop who distrusts cops. He’s a professional, but he’s also full of wit and humanity.

Teasers/Trailers

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Je Hoon Cast in New tvN Drama From “Misaeng” Director

Lee Je Hoon Cast in New tvN Drama From “Misaeng” Director

Actor Lee Je Hoon will be transforming into a profiler.

On August 20, tvN announced that Lee Je Hoon has been cast in their upcoming Friday-Saturday drama “Signal” as the main lead.

“Signal” will be a fantasy crime drama about a detective in the current time communicating with a detective from the past through an old walkie to find answers to unsolved crime cases.

Read more Soompi

Misaeng PD to helm crime thriller Signal for tvN

by girlfriday | July 22, 2015 | 20 Comments

Misaeng_ThreeDays1.jpg

Signal is the newest project from writer Kim Eun-hee (Three Days, Ghost, Sign), which was initially being shopped at SBS for a late-summer launch, but kept getting pushed back later and later on the schedule. SBS ended up passing on the show, which is a surprise given that writer Kim’s last three crime thrillers were all at SBS; now tvN has picked it up for their winter lineup, and acclaimed PD Kim Won-seok (Misaeng, Monstar, Sungkyunkwan Scandal) will be directing. Suddenly verrrry interested in Signal.

Read more Dramabeans

http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/07/misaeng-pd-to-helm-crime-thriller-signal-for-tvn/

I did not see dramas by scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee but I always wanted to watch Ghost or Signal ( I read some recaps instead :P ).  I like the crime/procedural dramas and I was excited for Korean version of Cold Case. When they announced that the project was dropped I was a little disappointed, especially when I heard that another Hwaseong`s unsolved case is inspiring this. But, from what I read from the short synopsis, it is not the same case. I was intrigued by the fantasy element. The connection between present and past it reminds me of 2000`s movie Frequency where Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel (father and son in the movie) communicated via an old amateur radio to solve a case, change his father`s faith and trying to fix the consequences from changing the past.  If this drama will give me the same vibe, I will love it. I am intrigued at this point.

I never saw Lee Je Hoo in a drama or movie but I heard good things about him. I am happy to see him in this drama.

Guest MaknaeC

Lee Je-hoon teams up with Misaeng PD for tvN’s Signal

LeeJeHoon1.jpg

I’m so glad that Lee Je-hoon hasn’t run away from dramaland to only do movies — it’s so my fear with good actors like him. His army comeback drama Secret Door might’ve been a disappointment, but maybe he’ll finally meet the right project in Signal, tvN’s upcoming crime thriller from PD Kim Won-seok (Misaeng) and writer Kim Eun-hee (Three Days, Ghost, Sign).

It’s honestly the team-up between Lee Je-hoon and PD Kim Won-seok that interests me more than anything, because Lee Je-hoon was reportedly the director’s first choice to play the leading character Jang Geu-rae in Misaeng. I ended up loving Im Shi-wan in the role, but it kind of hurts my heart to think how amazing Lee Je-hoon would’ve been in it. (He turned down Misaeng and ultimately came back in Secret Door… which also hurts my heart, for totally different reasons.)

The drama is a crime thriller based on Bong Joon-ho’s film Memories of Murder, about the real-life Hwaseong serial murder case from the 1980s that remains unsolved to this day. But the show includes an interesting twist on the crime-solving: present-day detectives are able to communicate with past detectives via an old two-way radio, which helps them tackle long-term unsolved cases. I can’t gather from the short description whether this is a magical radio that defies the space-time continuum, or if they just mean they call some retired veteran detectives to help them out. read more-dramabeans

---------------------------

Thank you for starting this thread @larus. 

PD Kim Won Seok, Writer Kim Eun Hee, and Lee Je Hoon, a beautiful line-up :) 

On another note, it would be amazing if there's really a Korean version of Cold Case

@larus,   Hello And Thanks For Starting This Thread

New writer so I'll give it a shoot some of these new writers write good storyies

better plots  

Hi,@valsava .  Kim Eun-hee is not a newbie writer (if this is what you think). This drama will be my first of her works but she is quite popular. She and her husband collaborated in her first two dramas and both are well know in the industry. 

Thank you for starting this thread @larus. 

PD Kim Won Seok, Writer Kim Eun Hee, and Lee Je Hoon, a beautiful line-up :) 

On another note, it would be amazing if there's really a Korean version of Cold Case

Tell me about it! But from what I read in Dramabeans` article the hero plays a profiler on a detective team who deals with unresolved cases. So, this is a cold case after all.

Welcome both to the thread.

Misaeng' Director Casts Lee Je Hoon In Fantasy Crime Drama

BY Julie Jones | Aug 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT

Lee Je Hoon

The director of the cable hit "Misaeng" is a man who likes to take risks and does not like to compromise. He took a risk directing a drama about the trials of Korean office life and created a surprise hit.

Director Kim Won Suk was also not willing to compromise in the casting of his newest drama "Signal." He cast Lee Je Hoon, last seen in "Secret Door," in the lead role of Park Hae Young, a criminal profiler.

The plot of "Signal" also does not sound like a conventional or guaranteed hit. In the fantasy crime drama Lee Je Hoon's modern-day detective character talks to a detective from the past about solving previously unsolved crimes. They use a walkie-talkie to communicate through time and space.

Read more Kdramastars

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/94062/20150820/misaeng-director-casts-lee-je-hoon-in-fantasy-crime-drama.htm

Hello...@larus..Thank's for starting this thread...

hooraaayyy..for writer kim eun hee (sign, ghost (phantom), and three days..), always love her project..and she will colab with misaeng director..woww...definitely in :D B), waiting update for this drama...

@fithi: Welcome to this thread. I love your enthusiasm. It seams that you love the writer`s works. I hope she will deliver this time too :)

I can`t wait to see the other cast. I wonder who will be the cop from the past. Is this cop still alive in the present? I guessed not, if they communicate via RAM. 

Lee Je Hoon Joins ‘Signal’

| 20 August, 2015 at 01:00
leejehoon_signal
Woooooo! I have not heard much about Signal but I’m glad that it’s still on schedule for release. The tvN drama has finally cast its main lead: Secret Door‘s Lee Je Hoon. (Also a costar of Suzy‘s in Architecture 101.)
Signal is a drama based on the Hwaseong murders, of which the film ‘Memories of Murder’ and the drama Gap Dong are based on. They were a sickening series of rape and murders that have still gone unsolved, so it’s no wonder why it’s such an interesting source for dramatization. It’s like Jack the Ripper or the Zodiac Killer. What’s great is that Signal is being written by one of my favorite writers, Kim Eun Hee, of whom I’ve watched every drama and have only been disappointed by Three Days. Crime and detective dramas are her forte and so I am really excited to see this one.
Read more Kaedejun

Lee Je Hoon Joins ‘Signal’

Woooooo! I have not heard much about Signal but I’m glad that it’s still on schedule for release. The tvN drama has finally cast its main lead: Secret Door‘s Lee Je Hoon. (Also a costar of Suzy‘s in Architecture 101.)
Signal is a drama based on the Hwaseong murders, of which the film ‘Memories of Murder’ and the drama Gap Dong are based on. They were a sickening series of rape and murders that have still gone unsolved, so it’s no wonder why it’s such an interesting source for dramatization. It’s like Jack the Ripper or the Zodiac Killer. What’s great is that Signal is being written by one of my favorite writers, Kim Eun Hee, of whom I’ve watched every drama and have only been disappointed by Three Days. Crime and detective dramas are her forte and so I am really excited to see this one.
Read more Kaedejun

@larus,  Wow you even heard of the zodiac killer I remember him as a little girl going around killing people in the bay area there was also another serial killer and rapist called stinky and the green river killer.. Some argue stinky and zodiac was the same person but it was never and ending argument with that.. 

I like ho this drama is in this genre and will have my seat ready for this I like these types of mysteries..  This should be and interesting watch based on the two that has already been made..  

@larus,  Wow you even heard of the zodiac killer I remember him as a little girl going around killing people in the bay area there was also another serial killer and rapist called stinky and the green river killer.. Some argue stinky and zodiac was the same person but it was never and ending argument with that.. 

I like ho this drama is in this genre and will have my seat ready for this I like these types of mysteries..  This should be and interesting watch based on the two that has already been made..  

I heard about the Zodiac Killer. I think I saw a movie someday but I don`t remember very well the case.

I hope they will make an intriguing thriller drama. The script is the most important thing and I trust the writer. I don`t know her works but I heard good things about her. I know that she is good writing his genre. Of course I want a good cast as well.

This twt tho....:huh::D

who's gonna announce lee je-hoon's leading lady? that's the drama i'm caring about tbh (cr: sali)

Kang Sora? Han Groo? But I think there's plenty of time... this is for next year anyway.

Yup. Good writing. Good cast. that can act.. then this will be a good one.

who's gonna announce lee je-hoon's leading lady? that's the drama i'm caring about tbh (cr: sali)

Kang Sora? Han Groo? But I think there's plenty of time... this is for next year anyway.

Doesn`t matter as long it is a good actress.  I doubt that it would have romance. :)

I want to know who will be the detective from the past. That`s the real OTP. :P

What I don`t understand why they need a detective from the past to solve the case in the present. If it was the other way I might understand it better. Maybe the profiler thinks the cops from the past did not find all the evidence. I am really curious about this drama.

I heard about the Zodiac Killer. I think I saw a movie someday but I don`t remember very well the case.

I hope they will make an intriguing thriller drama. The script is the most important thing and I trust the writer. I don`t know her works but I heard good things about her. I know that she is good writing his genre. Of course I want a good cast as well.

@larus, I also saw the movie and grew up around san fran, oakland, vallejo and berkeley area I remember how he terrorized the bay and the san fran police dept sending them clues all sorts of stunts.. Well we have a good writer lets hope she gives us something that's mind blowing and guessing..      

Doesn`t matter as long it is a good actress.  I doubt that it would have romance. :)

I want to know who will be the detective from the past. That`s the real OTP. :P

What I don`t understand why they need a detective from the past to solve the case in the present. If it was the other way I might understand it better. Maybe the profiler thinks the cops from the past did not find all the evidence. I am really curious about this drama.

A lot of times the detective from the past is better at solving unsolved cases because he would know more about the time frame and the landscape at that time and you get a new detective can give it a fresh sense into the investigation something they didn't have then and do now and probably have more free range as detective now instead of then..  

A lot of times the detective from the past is better at solving unsolved cases because he would know more about the time frame and the landscape at that time and you get a new detective can give it a fresh sense into the investigation something they didn't have then and do now and probably have more free range as detective now instead of then..  

Yes, everyone has his/her assets.  It is a great team now that I think about it and it would be a pity to not give us a resolution to the case not like in real life.

Archived