[Drama 2024] The Queen of Tears / 눈물의 여왕 - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won

Maetawinz

2 hours ago, ryanallright said:

I don’t know man, tbh, it seem lacking to my expectation. The scriptwriter is the true villain. LOL

So yet another kdrama with a bad ending?

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

I just came back from the Hide drama thread where I wrote that the ending of the drama was seriously underwhelming.

I nowadays check who the writer is before starting a kdrama. Unfortunately, even that won't guarantee solid writing anymore.

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, partyon said:

So yet another kdrama with a bad ending?

No, it was not a bad ending at all, story-wise.  I liked it.  Quite nicely done.  No huge surprises or anything, so if anybody looked for something totally unexpected or some big revelation, this might feel underwhelming, maybe.  But to me, it was entirely satisfying.

They even had the drama end with "Happy Ending" shown on screen!  How can we not be happy about it?  :)

All said and done, this was a romance story through and through.  Beautiful romance, on which the two leads performed magnificently.  The rest of the drama had holes, and they did not do anywhere near a perfect (or even a very good) job of it.  But when it came to romance, the drama aced it.   I think there was not even one scene in all 16 episodes with the two leads that was not done perfectly - in writing, direction and most importantly, acting.

I am quite picky normally, but I loved this drama.  But then, I am a sucker for good romance in dramas, which has been rare lately.  The Korean audience certainly liked the drama, as it broke all records for viewership at TVN and will go down as one of the most watched dramas in recent history.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

4 minutes ago, jayakris said:

No, it was not a bad ending at all, story-wise.  I liked it.  Quite nicely done.  No huge surprises or anything, so if anybody looked for something totally unexpected or some bi revelation, this might feel underwhelming, maybe.  To me, it was quite satisfying.

Did Kwakkie get a good ending? :please:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just finished this drama and I loved it. I think it was a beautiful drama about love, family, growth, and moving past resentments. IMO, the acting was superb. I expected it to be good with the writer being the same as Crash Landing on You, and I was not disappointed. I give it a solid A and recommend it to all. 

• Like 3

Loved the ending but I would have loved to see the development of the relationship after Hae In lost her memory a little bit more. They were just starting to talk about the wrongdoings and be honest about themselves in communication so I would have definitely wanted to see that change. I think 16 episodes are not enough and just to squeeze everything into 16 episodes leaves some of them open. 

But the very end…It was a masterpiece. Direction, scenery, acting all in one. Superb. 

I thought Kim Ji Won and Park Seo Joon were the best fit but no this couple surpassed all. 

Park Sung Hoon deserves a whole drama dedicated to himself. Period. He is such an actor, why on earth i just noticed him. One of the best villains ever but I am pretty sure he loved Hae-in more than Hyunwoo. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, partyon said:

Did Kwakkie get a good ending? :please:

More than a good ending.  They nicely improved Kwakkie's role in the last few episodes and made him one of the characters of strength in the end.  He stood his ground and protected his woman and child, showing what sincere love is all about. He made everybody respect him for that too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 16! *Last episode* :).

20240428224516_Kim-Ji-Won-Kim-Soo-Hyun-9

"Queen Of Tears" Finale Overtakes "Crash Landing On You" To Achieve Highest Drama Ratings In tvN History

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” made network history with its highly-anticipated finale!

On April 28, the final episode of the hit romance starring Kim Soo Hyun and Kim Ji Won set a new record for the highest viewership ratings of any drama in tvN history.

According to Nielsen Korea, the series finale of “Queen of Tears” scored an average nationwide rating of 24.850 percent—easily smashing the previous record of 21.683 percent achieved by the finale of “Crash Landing on You” back in February 2020.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1657880wpp/queen-of-tears-finale-overtakes-crash-landing-on-you-to-achieve-highest-drama-ratings-in-tvn-history

• Like 4

I was saddened for Eun Song death and loneliness.  In my opinion he believed only in death is where he can truly be happy. It was sad to see little ES begging his mom to stay and not leave him. But the witch still chose to leave him. I think ES was lonely and transferred his loneliness to Hong Hae In . He died alone and his mom didn’t really mourn hi at all. Her true love was money. 
Mo Seul Hee is a bad RickRoll'D 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7q3bvq9jhvv2jhawdqm

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7q3bvq9jhvv2jhawdqm

Hong Hae In’s life appeared lonely but her family did love her. She spent so much time being the mature one, fearing of getting to close and worked diligently to achieve all her dreams. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The melodrama befits the daillies that I have watched. Major head surgeries without loss of a hair, a high speed hit and run causing internal injuries but walking up and about, followed by a shot gun blast are all so distracting. The story as a whole was neither unique nor spellbinding but the characters carried the show so well, even when the storyline has some serious patches.

As many people have commented KSH and KJW’s acting were stellar especially when their characters interacted. The other actors were amazing as support, really consistent that they grew on me. The whiny SC, the village gossips, the parents, HW’ s friends were characters that helped set the background for the main couple. The main support I feel were Moh, YES and Grace.  The mother and son played the unchanging baddies while Grace, a pragmatic and quite a shameless  person, the trio were so interesting, I wanted to know more about how they turned out that way. How did Moh stay as the mistress cum housekeeper for so long? 

There were many sweet moments and sad ones. The theme seemed to be true love is enduring; HW and HI’s fate that started early in their lives, so was SC and DH. BJ, the much married rich woman and the virginal village philosopher YA were different but had strong attraction, even the sister and friend had some kind of lasting affection for their partners.

All in all a truly enjoyable show, 9.5/10 for me.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

20240428173759_Kim-Ji-Won-Kim-Soo-Hyun-8

"Queen Of Tears" Dominates Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings For 7th Week In A Row

Once again, tvN’s “Queen of Tears” swept the top spots on this week’s rankings of the most buzzworthy dramas and actors!

For the seventh consecutive week, “Queen of Tears” remained No. 1 on Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the TV dramas that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon.

In addition to topping the list of most buzzworthy dramas, “Queen of Tears” continued its reign over the list of buzzworthy drama cast members, where its cast swept five of this week’s top 10 spots. Kim Soo Hyun remained No. 1, followed by Kim Ji Won at No. 2, Park Sung Hoon at No. 6, Kwak Dong Yeon at No. 8, and Lee Mi Sook at No. 10.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1657841wpp/queen-of-tears-dominates-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings-for-7th-week-in-a-row

• Like 2

So, a couple of weeks ago I made a post about how Hong Hae-in (HHI) was the one who made the greatest sacrifices going as far as revealing her illness to the world to save Baek Hyun-woo (BHW), while BHW still has not redeemed his character completely yet - given that he did want her to die while she saw him as the only reason to live. Then in the end he put his life at risk twice and even took a bullet for her. Now I feel, they are even.

Having said that, all the melodrama aside, near the very end of the last episode HHI showed what mature love looks like. Sure, we had all the swoon moments throughout the series where we saw HHI was crazily in love with BHW. And there were glimpses of BHW and HHI acknowledging how their relationship could have been different if only they had done things differently. But none of those top what she said in the end about how she will not stay in her room anymore waiting for him to come to clear a misunderstanding. I mean, despite how crazily in love she was with him, they still lived in misery. Why does it matter if she's going to save him or if he's going to take a bullet for her if they slept in separate rooms for two years?

In that scene the writer answered this very question I had. When BHW says the thought of taking more bullets for her didn't bother him, but being in a fight with her scared him it captured the very essence of what this drama was about. My only gripe is that the conversation could have been much longer and they could have had more scenes showing us how they were a normal, happy couple afterwards. Overall, a mature ending. Not as underwhelming as others complaining.

Edited by Dinu M

I am happy with the ending.

The actual ending was a bit lowkey for me but it's fine.

After the heartwrenching episodes, I am happy with the ending.

I felt that the death of Yoon Eun Song was anticlimactic. 

Maybe because I felt that he was the true villain but it was really his mother.

I felt some pity, very slight, for him because he was still used and discarded by his mother in the end.

• Like 3

@partyon

My rating is based on how much I enjoyed watching the show. Like most viewers it was for the couple. Other aspects were completely blurred out, so don’t be shocked. :hahah!:

I thought the first episode was so fakey, over exploited premise of a chaebol girl-village guy. But reading the comments, I tried ep. 4, then I was hooked. But eps 13-16 were very annoying when the writer threw in the kitchen sink, HW was run down followed by HI was kidnapped and then the shootings. :surprisedwut: It became the villains’ show. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1

I finished this whole drama.

For romantic aspect, i love this couple a lot and hope that they get together in real life. That move is because the writer has successfully created such beautiful image in drama that almost every fans of theirs hoping them to be dating one day in real life...

But let's get back to the drama talk about the relationship of this married couple, to be frank, I don't feel comfortable when the writer created the role for the "Queen" of female lead...being so pampered by her husband (male protagonist) until the end, the happy ending, regardless of her past or present she was "spoiled" by her husband in both words and deeds. Yes, she later realized her mistakes and actions, but did the writer emphasize enough that the root cause of their "almost divorce" problem was due to their lack of communication and the inferior of one party who certainly needs care and concern too. The writer had put too much emphasis on the couple reflash loving story but pay less attention on how they recognise their problem and differences so as to work together to improve their marriage life thereafter.

There are couples in real life where the husband is often play the role as the giver while the wife is the receiver, or vice versa. However, this is not healthy in the long run. A person who always cares about others, people with this personality tend to neglect their own needs and wants because most of the time they are so focused on others that they forget their own needs and wants. An imbalance in this relationship is not healthy at all in the long run. One party will become emotionally exhausted and worn out one day because his/her needs and wants not being addressed. This may give a wrong message to the young couple or about going to get married couple. I am quite disappointed that the writer did not emphasize on this point.

The writer started with a good intention to create the differences between the two leads in the drama : One strong, one weak, made the male lead as a warm person (almost perfect) in his character in drama, while the other one shown emotionless, and very forthright  in her words to others because of the way she brought up and her family background. We know that the husband has soft spot and he did cry a lot in the story. That shown that he needed care and attention too.  However, the writer did not address the issue much, I would prefer the couple could have longer conversation to acknowledge the differences, recognise it and work through it together.

I can forgive the writer because he choose this charming couple and the rest of the cast who had super performance in this drama , but for overall drama story, I will not give high mark. To me, the story is still lack of substance although i know this is purely a romantic comedy drama and I can't expect too much.

So does high rating represent😄 a good drama? A highly recommended good drama may not achieve high rating 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of comments pointing out HHI lack of loss of hair due to major brain surgery as a hole in the drama. But if you noticed in one of the episodes, her surgery wasn't an open brain surgery which explains why she wasn't shaved 😅 she went for some kind of targeted ultrasound that'll kill the tumors in her brain, but it also affected her memory coz healthy brain cells were also affected. 

Edited by Roy Alfie Lee

• partyon changed the title to [Drama 2024] The Queen of Tears / 눈물의 여왕 - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won
Posted (edited)

@jayakris Did you notice something? In the final conversation that both our lead characters have, HHI says this:

"마음과다른말들을내뱉고...", which the translator correctly subtitled to "We said things we didn't mean..." .  This is the same thing that was said in ep.11, that we discussed before. In ep.11 she goes: "마음과는다른말들만 내뱉는내곁에". Yet the translator gave us a different translation there. 

Edited by Dinu M

Wonder if I'm the only one struggling to finish the drama? I lost interest mid way and I couldn't sit still to watch the last 2 EP... This is probably the 1st drama of the year for me...

• Sad 1

twas a rather delightful series certainly a lot of tears were taken place for sure can only imagine how drained the actors were after each scene *especially if crying took place*. sad to see the villains basically fall *which one ending up dead* so unfortunate even though they were smart at times in the end it all caught up to them. 

ending part was cool just figured the couple would of perish together instead of Baek surviving makes ya wonder if Hein's condition came back at some point or if it carried onto their daughter. i still wonder if Baek ever found how who got into his private safe getting the divorce paper and creating such a mess.

always sad when money n love can at times both be a lethal combo especially for one who can't handle or understand both but for only to lead to a deadly demise. 

2074 such an interesting year to pick along with Hein's age too. i still wonder what they're remarriage was like, or what kind of parents they became, grew to become great grandparents too. 

just so much that took place but glad it's over with, and onto the next tear jerker in which hopefully the bad guy wins.

I was reading someone’s recap and she wrote about season 2. I really hope not, will not watch.

I haven’t found any part 2 that I like as much as part 1, even when it was planned. Example the escape show is so strange or should I say weird. Just dropping on the recaps occasionally.

The Glory was as good as part one but it was taped as one show and televised in two parts, I had read someone said. 

Not others. Taxi, Ardath Chronicles, Alchemy if souls … 

Didn’t like at all.

• Like 1