[Drama 2024] The Queen of Tears / 눈물의 여왕 - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won

Maetawinz

@scribbledjunkie but she has to keep up her (chairman's loyal innocent lover) image to the outside world since she doesn't have power of attorney now. 

Another possibility could be that our villains also know the location of the safe but can't figure out how to open it. It would be too easy if the lifts just open straight into a room? Seems like it would defeat the purpose of a panic room if all one needed to do was to find a barely concealed button. Gramps likely recorded the instructions to open the safe in hae in's pen. 

• Blob 1

23 hours ago, jayakris said:

You are right.  I think it is not the fault of the actors, but rather of the Producer-Directors who ask them to do it.  Like they think that comical relief needs over-acting.  The PDs probably feel that if they do not over-act they will be taken as doing serious roles and so there will be no humor felt by the viewers.  That may even be true, as the Korean audience are so used to not expecting them to act normal.  I don't know, but I also don't like it when they do it that way.

Kwakkie, acting as SuCheol, is often type-cast and asked to over-act, as he is good at producing some humor with that.  You can see that he can do quite fine in regular acting too, like in Ep.12 today

I agree with you here. Even in the first episode it was clear that Kwakkie was cast as the "comic relief". And why not? He excels at comedy and has great comedic timing. He's doing his job - matching the "Korean style" of comedy. Something that is actually a lot harder than one would think. Comedic timing is actually thought to be innate and something that is hard to learn. So even the best actor out there can suck at comedy roles - no matter how many acting lessons they take.

He played a very similar role in Vincenzo - which was directed by the same director as Queen of Tears. A role where he had to balance comic relief and "serious" acting. If he wasn't cast to do this role, I'm sure that this drama would be very much a pure serious melodrama, no?

PS. On a side note.

Spoiler

<start of rant> :D

Am gonna defend Kwakkie here, because this guy started acting as a 15 year old - he took the smallest supporting roles and worked his way up. I have been following his acting career since 2014 when he was 16 years old.

Despite having gotten a lot of recognition for his acting talents after having played supporting roles in a multitude of dramas, and touching millions of people's hearts with characters like in Vincenzo, Never Twice, Love in the Moonlight, etc, he has not been offered lead roles. He showed his acting versatility in all of them.

What makes me angry is that we have a lot of actors with a lot less talent playing lead role after lead role, whereas this guy just can't seem to catch a break.

I as well as his fans were extremely unhappy to learn that he was playing yet another supporting role in Queen of Tears - when he clearly has the acting chops to play a lead role.

<rant over> @sweetroad back me up here :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

What makes me angry is that we have a lot of actors with a lot less talent playing lead role after lead role, whereas this guy just can't seem to catch a break.

I as well as his fans were extremely unhappy to learn that he was playing yet another supporting role in Queen of Tears - when he clearly has the acting chops to play a lead role.

<rant over> @sweetroad back me up here

I have so much to catch up on in the show and in this thread, but Kwakkie is a great actor in different dramas, and it's too bad he hasn't broken into consistent leading-man territory yet. :approves:

• Love 1

7 hours ago, sweetroad said:

I have so much to catch up on in the show and in this thread, but Kwakkie is a great actor in different dramas, and it's too bad he hasn't broken into consistent leading-man territory yet.

I like his versatility too. I have seen him in at least 5 or 6 dramas; and he always does his job.  I hope he gets a good lead role soon. Hopefully in a serious role as a surgeon in a medical drama or a police detective in a crime drama.

8 hours ago, partyon said:

I understand the feeling.  It must be frustrating for his fans to keep seeing him typecast.  Hopefully he will be the "transformed guy who became serious enough to save his family" in the last 4 episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have watched Kwakkie but can’t remember which show. I think he had long hair in a pony tail. 
Maybe Kwakkie would do a great job in this show  if given the chance. But I think KSH is excellent here. I tried watching you from the star but could not get caught in it. So I didn’t see much of KSH. I saw the actress Jun in Windstruck - I think - and absolutely loved the movie.

I did watch Moon Embracing the Sun and enjoyed it but I didn’t see any stellar acting from anyone, except for the Shaman woman who rather scared me. 
Now watching QOT, I am very impressed by KSH, I can see why he is the highest paid Korean actor - if some claim is true. He looks good in a suit and track suit. :smile: Having KJW as a couple greatly helps too.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, maribella said:

I have watched Kwakkie but can’t remember which show. I think he had long hair in a pony tail. 

That must be Moonlight Drawn by Clouds where Kwakkie was the bodyguard and close friend of the male lead Crown Prince.  Kwakkie was very good in a serious role there.  I think we saw him with long hair a few times there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Spoiler

Kim Soo Hyun Surprises Kim Ji Won With Touching Early Christmas Gift In

Kim Soo Hyun Surprises Kim Ji Won With Touching Early Christmas Gift In "Queen Of Tears"

Christmas is coming early on the next episode of “Queen of Tears”!

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Queen of Tears,” Baek Hyun Woo (Kim Soo Hyun) romantically proposed to Hong Hae In (Kim Ji Won) a second time, proffering a ring and asking her to cancel their divorce.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Baek Hyun Woo once again carefully plans a romantic surprise for Hong Hae In—this time at Queens Department Store.

When Hong Hae In visits the department store, she winds up celebrating Christmas early thanks to a special surprise prepared by her loving husband. The lights, the Christmas tree, and the falling snow all create a festive holiday atmosphere, and Baek Hyun Woo has a pleased smile on his face as he locks eyes with his visibly impressed wife.

Kim-Ji-Won-5.jpegKim-Soo-Hyun-8.jpegKim-Ji-Won-2-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Soo-Hyun-2-2.jpegKim-Ji-Won-3-1.jpeg

Meanwhile, Baek Hyun Woo’s and Hong Hae In’s long-suffering secretaries Kim Min Kyu (Jung Ji Hwan) and Na Chae Yeon (Apink’s Yoon Bomi) happily watch their bosses enjoy the romantic moment—a stark contrast to the vicious fighting that kept them on their toes at the start of the drama.

Spoiler

Yoon-Bomi-Jung-Ji-Hwan.jpeg

To catch Baek Hyun Woo’s romantic Christmas surprise, tune in to the next episode of “Queen of Tears” on April 20 at 9:20 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656084wpp/kim-soo-hyun-surprises-kim-ji-won-with-touching-early-christmas-gift-in-queen-of-tears

On 4/16/2024 at 1:31 AM, partyon said:

he has not been offered lead roles.

Yes he has 😃 Have you forgotten Gaus Electronics? I was happy to see him being the lead there. But I agree with you, he needs to be in more lead roles! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I find Ep 13 boring.  I hope it is different for you all.  But there is One Thing I must say:

"The Chairman is such a Foolish Person.  If you make a "Secret or Panic Room" where you keep your "Slush Fund", would you appear in a Family Video to tell people how to access it?".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I find Ep 13 boring.  I hope it is different for you all.

Maybe not boring, but I also found the episode dragging.  Lots of cuteness from Hae-In though.  Really sad to see her do all that, knowing all the uncertainties of whether she would die or live.  Her acting after asking him, "how did you even get into Seoul National Univ?" was really cute.

I thought one of the 3 secrets would be about the drowning accident, but I guess Hae-In doesn't know who saved her.

Nothing much happened in this episode though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jayakris said:

Maybe not boring, but I also found the episode dragging.  Lots of cuteness from Hae-In though.  Really sad to see her do all that, knowing all the uncertainties of whether she would die or live.  

Nothing much happened in this episode though.

@jayakris   Yes. Nothing much happening.  I "Fast-Forward" a lot.  Not enjoying those cuteness from Hae-In.

• Like 1

Is it a big decision: to die or to live without old memories? She will make new memories and learned about the old ones. Given the scenes when she cried that she wanted to live, I would say it is a given that she would take the surgery. But the preview suggests that she refused it, perhaps at first? This is a filler episode and we get to hear ‘Hae in-ah’  from HW only in the preview. I would have thought they would inform her of the memory loss, it’s her body. 

The parents and brother have shown limited brain power. Why would they keep the matchmaker or spa owner close to them. They may want to use her  but giving her continued freedom of contact with them seems imprudent.

I am guessing YES planned to kidnap HI after her surgery. It would be just like kdrama. But since it’s the third last episode, he wouldn’t have much time to brainwash her. Or they could make her fall in love with HW all over again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

I am guessing YES planned to kidnap HI after her surgery. It would be just like kdrama. But since it’s the third last episode, he wouldn’t have much time to brainwash her. Or they could make her fall in love with HW all over again. 

Oh boy, you pointed to a really troublesome possibility there, of her losing her memory and being kidnapped by YES who tries to brainwash her.  I would hate to see that.  Yeah, too few episodes left to really do all that, thank God.

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 13! :).

20240421021407_Queen-of-Tears-Missing-Cr

"Queen Of Tears" Soars To Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + "Missing Crown Prince" Hits All-Time High

Meanwhile, tvN’s “Queen of Tears” successfully remained the most-watched program of any kind to air on Saturday. The latest episode of the hit drama scored a nationwide average of 20.2 percent, marking its highest viewership ratings to date for a Saturday (when its ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays).

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656128wpp/queen-of-tears-soars-to-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet-missing-crown-prince-hits-all-time-high

• Like 1

Spoiler

Kim Soo Hyun Desperately Tries To Convince Kim Ji Won To Undergo Surgery In

Kim Soo Hyun Desperately Tries To Convince Kim Ji Won To Undergo Surgery In "Queen Of Tears"

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” has shared an emotional glimpse of its upcoming episode!

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Queen of Tears,” Baek Hyun Woo (Kim Soo Hyun) learned the devastating fact that if Hong Hae In (Kim Ji Won) underwent surgery for her condition, she would lose all of her memories. Correctly predicting that Hong Hae In would refuse to undergo the surgery if she found out about this side effect, Baek Hyun Woo waited until they had left for Germany to reveal the truth.

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, the couple continues to argue about the surgery that could save Hong Hae In’s life. Because he understands where Hong Hae In is coming from, Baek Hyun Woo is unable to insist that she goes through with the surgery—but he still urgently pleads for her to make the choice that could give her the chance to live.

Tormented by the thought of her passing, Baek Hyun Woo is so desperate for Hong Hae In to undergo the surgery that he even gathers his hands in prayer in an empty church.

Meanwhile, Hong Hae In’s eyes are full of emotion as she gazes at her husband, suggesting that she is in the process of being swayed by his entreaties.

Kim-Soo-Hyun-9.jpegKim-Ji-Won-6.jpegKim-Soo-Hyun-2-3.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Ji-Won-2-2.jpeg

To find out what decision Hong Hae In will make, catch the next episode of “Queen of Tears” on April 21 at 9:20 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656145wpp/kim-soo-hyun-desperately-tries-to-convince-kim-ji-won-to-undergo-surgery-in-queen-of-tears

• Sad 1

Another sloooooowwww episode.  And then everything went wrong for a few minutes at the end (but there is a hint of a positive turn-around at the end of it too), and I did not watch it, as I cannot stand that fellow EunSung.   i did not enjoy this episode at all.