[Drama 2022/2023] The Interest of Love/Understanding of Love, 사랑의 이해

larus

Okay so even though I want to say a lot on ep5 but I am not sure how to organize my ramblings, so I will randomly share things that stood out or got to me.

So I am never liking 2nd fl, she's pretentious and fake. Her friend at wedding was completely bang on point when she called her out and when she called her a hypocrite, she is a face of hypocrisy. It's surprising that writer knew what viewers are thinking, that is, since the start the woman carries super expensive bags, wears super expensive clothes, changes cars like clothes, lives in a super luxury apartment, it always makes viewer think how is she affording this lifestyle with middle class income jobs she does, so if she's financing it all through dad's money then it what is the point with all her, 'I will work hard to earn on my own' drama. Like either live a middleclass lifestyle your job supports but if you have to take dad's money and live in luxuries then what kind of achievements and self-made badge she wants to brag about when her salary is only 5 pc of her monthly spending. It feels so shallow, also her friend insulting her shows the writers know this but what was disturbing was writers used that hotel convo to also paint her as a victim and tried to force viewers to feel sympathy for her, sorry but I am not having any of it for this pretentious bish and that RickRoll'D sangsu's excuses for her and demand for apology.

If we look at it, her friend says you had best education with you, no financial worries yet you took scholarship, you actually stole it from a needy guy, the same point was raised in Reborn rich when female prosecutor brags about being self made, Dojun tells her how she had grown in luxuries and had all the peaceful time of world to study in peace to get high grades that majoruty kids don't, in the same way if we see despite hating on dad and faking to be self made she lives a super lavish lifestyle where her job pay is a tiny fraction of her expenses, she is stealing job from a capable and needy person. Also she's not even talented, the contest was worked on by male lead, she stole winner plan from female lead, she is good with manipulating.

Now coming to sang su, i really watch him for yys otherwise the character is of a douchebag. Okay now firstly ep 5 did get disliked for slow speed, I also felt suyoung and sangsu's tension and her rudeness even after hotel incident were repititive and made no sense. But I am still liking show, it's a show on ordinary people so it would go on like this.

That curly long hair girl at her bank is such a horrible excuse of a human, always gossiping and bad mouthing suyoung. Gosh such people are disgusting.

When that stupid branch manager dumps storeroom work on her, everyone was so insensitive they didn't come to her help. So after work-hours when everyone had left, anyone could have stayed back and helped her, it's not that branch manager would find out. I was shocked that even security guard lover didn't force her to let him stay , like how would branch manager find out when everyone is gone? Even he was disappointing. There are times when scenes happen in this show that make you super angry that I find it hard to type here and they always relate to ML and his tail mikyung.

So the manager annouces Suyoung finishes storeroom and instead of quietly joining in to help her, the b**** Mikyung gets up and openly innocently asks, should I help her too sir, like b don't you know he will not only refuse but block anyone from helping her but b messes it up for her, and her offer for help was just for show-off, 'Oh see, I am so sweet, I wanna help her out.'

I have zero sympathy for 2fl b, she is a totally gone case and honestly the way actress is depicting her and her fake smiles she looks more irritating. She is so quietly manipulative abd delusional too.

Now coming to another big douchbag of this show, and that is the main lead. So when ep 5 starts and Su young cold shoulders him I was confused why she is still doing it, but when he spouts, "It's her chocie", God I was so happy she was not giving him any attention. Like look at this pos male lead he is ready to defend that job stealer, scholarship stealer, work assignments stealer Mikyiung over made up sob stories and drink with her to relieve her of her stress but when a woman he claims to love is through sheet this is what he has to say?

One thing I always wanted to write about ML since first episode was that whenever you see him regarding everything about female lead that requires action he always never takes any action to protect her. So if he sees her being bullied and harassed at restaurants by scumbag sunabes he will stay quiet, he will see manager bullying, he will stay quiet, like millionth time he will see her getting humiliated and he will be a silent lamb, then when he tries to offer help he does in a weakkkkkkkk way, and there too, when he's refused he quietly moves back to watch her harassed and bullied. So like when managers bully her at restaurant about dating he quietly watches, when managers touch her shoulders at karaoke bar he quietly watches, when they tell her to grab hangover syrup after 2 hours of rumination he gets up to leave himself, like not even once he snaps at those scumbag seniors to stop harassing her. Then there are countless ocassions. Then when he offers help in storeroom, just a single no from her is enough to make him leave. Like he is so insensitive and least invested in her that if she says no for her pride he immediately backs off, if some senior manager tells him to not help, he backs off, if he sees her getting harassed he quietly watches with a constipated look, like how f..king spineless you could be to not atleast scream at those senior scumbag managers to not mess around with her. Sorry but this guy is a useless spineless mannequin that doesn't have it in him to protect a woman in general let alone a gf.

I had a confusion when he said she made her choice, did suyoung take it negatively or positively and when she's riding bus she gets flashback of his 'her chocie comment', then why she says, 'I needlessly hurt his pride', I didn't get this part.

I really dislike ML, he is so undeserving. Fl just needs to pursue a better person.

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 6! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Unlock My Boss” Heads Into Final Week On All-Time High + “The Interest Of Love” Ratings Rise

Meanwhile, JTBC’s “The Interest of Love” successfully continued its upward trend, rising to an average nationwide rating of 3.0 percent for its sixth episode.

“Unlock My Boss” Heads Into Final Week On All-Time High + “The Interest Of Love” Ratings Rise | Soompi

• Like 2

I have a lot to say. Regarding the 5th episode and in general on the show. Trying to arrange my thoughts here.

First of all, Yoo Yeon Seok is brilliant at portraying the intense, slow burn romance that keeps him awake at night, that agonises him everytime he is alone, it's almost like when loving someone becomes muscle memory, his ache for Su Yeong is like the burnt end of a cigarette, over but still keeping hope alive in its dying embers. Moon Ka Young on the other hand seems like she's put on a leash to keep it subdued, low-key, and her real self comes out in moments of happiness, in her toothy smile, in her sparkling eyes.

Coming to the characters, I do not understand the male lead! He wants to put out but not too much, as if to avoid pain or hurting his pride. He doesn't pursue her the way a miserable lover would, almost like he has convinced himself that it's a doomed love story. He makes efforts to communicate but leaves it at the slightest protest or cold shoulder. He's good at his work but he half-asses things when it comes to his love life and Su Yeong is somebody who appreciates efforts, who likes someone reaching out to her when she needs them, that is where the security guard scores bonus points. The time when Su Yeong is left to sort out files in the storeroom, Sang Su goes to her but she denies his help and he leaves, and the next day he actually forgets about her till Mi Kyong reminds the rest of the colleagues, that Su Yeong is probably still sorting out files. I do not like the colleagues, they are too stereotypical, either too RickRoll'D or obnoxious, or too much of a suck up, there is no nuance to their characters and I don't see much scope for it either now that we are already past 5 episodes.

The show tries to show some female camaraderie but then female friendship comes on the pretext of material things. Mi Kyoung taking Su Yeong to fancy places, gifting her things she could never afford, Mi Kyong seems too superficial and materialistic despite her efforts or the director's efforts to show her as an empath. Even her mother gifts expensive gifts to Sang Su's mother when she finds a chingu in her. Being obscenely rich cannot be considered a personality trait! I'd much rather prefer the other ladies in the bank get together and take on the management and general misogyny at workplace.

Why am I still watching this: I have a thing for intense, slow burn romances, I guess that's why I'm sticking around. I want to be a part of the build up, the climax, the conclusion. And I hope the writers do justice to it instead of peppering the show with clickbaity scenes like the one in the storeroom shot in sepia filter, where the ml & fl get trapped, only to have an inconclusive almost repetitive conversation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As usual in many K-Dramas, couples could easily resolve any of their troubles if they'd just set their pride aside and... t-a-l-k. Instead, they'd rather torture themselves and the viewers, by dragging the issue more than it should.

It's clear Su Yeong has feelings for Sang Su but her pride just will not admit to it. While Sang Su is not proactive enough to fight for his feelings for her. So as a result they missed the timing and the cues.. 

I like both Mi Gyeong and Jong Hyeon but they're just fooling themselves into believing their feelings are reciprocated by Su Yeong and Sang Su respectively. Mi Gyeong is real aggressive in her pursuit with Sang Su LoL. She is also a sweetie with Su Yeong when she has a bad day at work. 

Jong Hyeon to me comes across .. too boring LoL sorry. He is real nice but way too idealistic in his views. I wonder if the phone call had something to do with his parents? As he has shown to be a filial son. 

Now that Su Yeong is single .. Sang Su is trying to move on with Mi Gyeong LoL. While I like Mi Gyeong , Sang Su together.. I prefer him with Su Yeong as there's palpable tension there. It's just thrilling LoL. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Hong Banjang said:

I have a lot to say. Regarding the 5th episode and in general on the show. Trying to arrange my thoughts here

Love how many of us liking this show start our comment with these words,' I have a lot to say but have to arrange thoughts', lol because the show throws so much at us, so much angst, so much to deeply analyze and mircro analyze while being a good show. Agreed with everything you said, thanks for saying it better than I could put it in words and even saying things I failed to notice.

30 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Jong Hyeon to me comes across .. too boring LoL sorry. He is real nice but way too idealistic in his views

True he has a very boring personality written. Plus maybe it's also that some other actor might have played same role in a more enchanting way like how son suk gu made mr gu so good. I like jeong hyun but his permanent smile deprives his character of any layers. 

30 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

As usual in many K-Dramas, couples could easily resolve any of their troubles if they'd just set their pride aside and... t-a-l-k. Instead, they'd rather torture themselves and the viewers, by dragging the issue more than it should.

It seems kdramas have created a genre which will have these types of issues dragging on till end. So no matter how much we complain these kind of shows will be written this way but I think writers' should still improve quality of writing, get more creative and add better scenarios while sticking to main theme.

• Like 3

Hello everyone!

Episode 1-4, I was ready to give this one up. I mean there was no hook other than YYS and MGY. The start of a romance held my attention a bit but then, they needlessly dragged out why Moon Ga Young's character just gave Yoo Yeon Seok's character the 'arctic' shoulder after him standing her up on their date.

It was difficult to swallow the bullying and the discrimination and the coercions at work because FL is just a high school graduate and she just sits there taking it all in like the doormat that she is. And our ML just lets these all happen to the FL. He hesitates, gets frustrated, his inaction wants me to throw something at him. He is also kind of a doucebag, he never protected and or defended the FL. And I understand that missing each other's timing are plot devices and it is usually used to build tension for the leads to get together, realistically for me, if you keep missing each other's timing, it's a sign from the universe that you are not meant to be.

I thought I'll watch episode 5, maybe I will get sleepy faster and then I'll just turn it off and that's it. Bye.

Then there was this scene that just squeezed my heart, it started with the scene where the FL was talking with her mom and then her realizing why she can't be honest with her feelings.  Some honesty finally, at least some character development. And while it wasn't really obviously brought to light what her thought process was, why she rejected the apologies of the ML, I kind of understood her. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with her decision to just decide right then and there to start dating the 2nd ML. 

Like any good Kdramas, they left a cliffhanger at the end of episode 5. And I was looking forward to coming home and watch ep 6.

Episode 6, I felt like I was witnessing the biggest break up in television ever , when the leads weren't even really in an actual relationship. That's when I realized I am hooked.

Now I can't wait for next week's episodes. I am a sucker for slice of life dramas and nuanced characters. This is shaping up to be one of those good slow burn ones. *crossing fingers*

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hong Banjang said:

Coming to the characters, I do not understand the male lead! He wants to put out but not too much, as if to avoid pain or hurting his pride. He doesn't pursue her the way a miserable lover would, almost like he has convinced himself that it's a doomed love story. He makes efforts to communicate but leaves it at the slightest protest or cold shoulder. He's good at his work but he half-asses things when it comes to his love life and Su Yeong is somebody who appreciates efforts, who likes someone reaching out to her when she needs them, that is where the security guard scores bonus points. The time when Su Yeong is left to sort out files in the storeroom, Sang Su goes to her but she denies his help and he leaves, and the next day he actually forgets about her till Mi Kyong reminds the rest of the colleagues, that Su Yeong is probably still sorting out files.

In defense of SS.  I think SS is someone who respects another person’s choices.  No means no yeah?  It doesn’t mean “maybe”?  Problem is that he’s confounded by SY’s sudden change in demeanour towards him without proffering an explanation.  She seemed to be giving him all the green light signals and then wham, red light, her whole gripe about his hesitancy at the lights.  Point was, he did eventually turn up didn’t he?  Not everyone moves as decisively as she does.  And she gave him no explanation about why she decided to call it quits except that he hesitated.  Thing is, she’s the one who ran away from the relationship.  She was the coward who hesitated.  That’s why she said she hurt his pride needlessly.  It dawned on her that she was in too deep as well and she got scared of getting hurt so she bailed.  But she didn’t have the courage to say that so instead of taking part of the blame for their relationship souring, she put all the blame on him.  Her extreme response is because she had unreasonably high expectations of SS.  Contrast this with JH who also “didn’t show up” when he went MIA after his exam.  Why didn’t she get mad and shut him out too?  Because she’s not invested in that relationship romantically. She knows she’s “in control” there.  He’s the “safer” option because she doesn’t feel anything for him except possibly brotherly affection.  As for why SS didn’t seem to step in to “help” her file, it’s the same reason.  She said no thanks.  He respected her decision and moved on.  He did buy her food to make sure she ate afterwards.  He’s a behind the scenes type person.  Same with how he helped her with Manager Yuk.  In the background.  To show that he respected her choices. 

The writer is using SS’s friend SeokHyeon (?) as a sounding board for the discourse about “love”.  Remember how he was all cut up initially when he decided to break up with his gf because their social status didn’t match up?  He was totally invested in that relationship, hence his depressed state.  Now we have him announcing that he will marry this other woman (presumably of the same social standing as he) whom he has zero feelings for.  He’s marrying to date he says.  Choosing a relationship devoid of emotions and the baggage it entails.  Just based on plain expediency.  And that’s where our OTP is right now.  They have both opted for expediency.  The safe and easier choice.  I much prefer SS’s approach to SY’s in this case.  At least he was honest with MK when he told her upfront he wasn’t 100% sure if it was the right thing to do or not.  MK was willing to take 1% which is too low in my opinion.  So at the very least they’ve started on an honest footing.  SY hasn’t said anything of the sort to JH.  She’s never going to be able to give of herself like he does to her.  Also the gifting of shoes to your significant other is usually a big NO in Kdrama.  It’s usually a hint that the relationship won’t last.

There’s also history between MK and SS’s other friend GyeongPil (?).  Something must’ve happened in College days for them to behave as awkwardly around each other as they do now. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

In defense of SS.  I think SS is someone who respects another person’s choices.  No means no yeah?  It doesn’t mean “maybe”?  Problem is that he’s confounded by SY’s sudden change in demeanour towards him without proffering an explanation.  She seemed to be giving him all the green light signals and then wham, red light, her whole gripe about his hesitancy at the lights.  Point was, he did eventually turn up didn’t he?  Not everyone moves as decisively as she does.  And she gave him no explanation about why she decided to call it quits except that he hesitated.  Thing is, she’s the one who ran away from the relationship.  She was the coward who hesitated.  That’s why she said she hurt his pride needlessly.  It dawned on her that she was in too deep as well and she got scared of getting hurt so she bailed.  But she didn’t have the courage to say that so instead of taking part of the blame for their relationship souring, she put all the blame on him.  Her extreme response is because she had unreasonably high expectations of SS.  Contrast this with JH who also “didn’t show up” when he went MIA after his exam.  Why didn’t she get mad and shut him out too?  Because she’s not invested in that relationship romantically. She knows she’s “in control” there.  He’s the “safer” option because she doesn’t feel anything for him except possibly brotherly affection.  As for why SS didn’t seem to step in to “help” her file, it’s the same reason.  She said no thanks.  He respected her decision and moved on.  He did buy her food to make sure she ate afterwards.  He’s a behind the scenes type person.  Same with how he helped her with Manager Yuk.  In the background.  To show that he respected her choices. 

The writer is using SS’s friend SeokHyeon (?) as a sounding board for the discourse about “love”.  Remember how he was all cut up initially when he decided to break up with his gf because their social status didn’t match up?  He was totally invested in that relationship, hence his depressed state.  Now we have him announcing that he will marry this other woman (presumably of the same social standing as he) whom he has zero feelings for.  He’s marrying to date he says.  Choosing a relationship devoid of emotions and the baggage it entails.  Just based on plain expediency.  And that’s where our OTP is right now.  They have both opted for expediency.  The safe and easier choice.  I much prefer SS’s approach to SY’s in this case.  At least he was honest with MK when he told her upfront he wasn’t 100% sure if it was the right thing to do or not.  MK was willing to take 1% which is too low in my opinion.  So at the very least they’ve started on an honest footing.  SY hasn’t said anything of the sort to JH.  She’s never going to be able to give of herself like he does to her.  Also the gifting of shoes to your significant other is usually a big NO in Kdrama.  It’s usually a hint that the relationship won’t last.

There’s also history between MK and SS’s other friend GyeongPil (?).  Something must’ve happened in College days for them to behave as awkwardly around each other as they do now. 

I totally agree. It is for the better that they are not together at this point. SY has a lot of baggage to work through and heal from. She needs to grow and heal and I hope the writer will make it worthwhile to watch.

I did get the MK/KP tense/awkward air between them. Good catch!

• Like 3

The Interest of Love: Episodes 5-6

by Dramaddictally

TIOL56_1.jpg

Formal dating, formal breakups, and formal complaints lodged against the boss — our bank employees mean business when it comes to work and love. It’s too bad their actions and ambitions can’t line up, so they can put all that seriousness into getting what they actually want.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

Last week we ended with an old-school wrist grab, as Sang-soo pulled Soo-young in for a hug. This week, Soo-young pulls away and the two go back to their brooding selves, rehashing what would have happened if Sang-soo had showed up for their dinner. (Why do I feel like these two have already been married for a decade? Their attitudes say they’re sick of each other, not falling in love.)

On the bus ride back from their conference, Sang-soo apologizes for the hug, in case it made her uncomfortable. Soo-young says it didn’t, and suggests they go to dinner that night. Sang-soo seems excited, but also conflicted as he’s still under the impression she’s dating Jong-hyun.

At the office, Mi-kyung asks Sang-soo to attend a wedding with her, since they both know the people getting married. Sang-soo agrees, and then leaves Mi-kyung and Soo-young alone in the breakroom. Mi-kyung tells Soo-young about her confession to Sang-soo last week — but says they’re not dating “yet.” This conversation seems to put an unshakable spell over Soo-young for the rest of the episodes, as she distances herself from Sang-soo and tells him to date someone who’s a better match for him (a.k.a., Mi-kyung).

But even if Soo-young wanted to go with Sang-soo to dinner that night, she couldn’t. The branch manager, YOOK SHI-KYUNG (Jung Jae-sung), asks her to accompany him to a dinner meeting with a client. We already know this guy’s scum by the way he held Soo-young’s hand in his office last week, but if there were any doubts, this meeting clears them up.

The Interest of Love Episodes 5-6

Soo-young — who is much younger than both the manager and the male client — sits at the table and attempts to conduct business. She’s reprimanded by the client and later, when they leave, her boss tells her that it’s her job to “entertain” clients in meetings like these. (Essentially, he’s brought her along to act like an escort.) He then forces money into her hand for a cab, even after she refuses and says she’s not comfortable taking his money. (“It’s good manners to accept what a superior gives you” — am I the only one who was about to retch watching this?)

When she gets home, she puts the 50,000 won bill into a tin with other bills, and we know this isn’t the first time this has happened. Since she missed the dinner with Sang-soo, he texts and asks if she wants to go tomorrow night instead. She doesn’t reply — already thinking that he’ll soon be falling for Mi-kyung.

The icky office politics take up a major portion of these episodes. The next day at the bank, Manager Yook asks Soo-young again to go to dinner with him and a client. Sang-soo asks if he can go instead. But the boss says that Sang-soo will be playing golf with a client on the weekend, so it doesn’t make sense. Soo-young then stands up for herself in front of the entire staff, saying that if she needs to explain a product, she’ll do it during business hours.

Manager Yook asks if she’s refusing for today or from now on. Soo-young responds, “I don’t believe it’s my duty to entertain clients.” We see everyone in the office cringe as they look down at their desks. As punishment, Soo-young is ordered to clean and reorganize the file room by Monday (which means she’ll have to work over the weekend to do it). When Mi-kyung says she’ll help Soo-young with the task, Manager Yook tells her she doesn’t have time for such menial work.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/the-interest-of-love-episodes-5-6/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In episode 6 they tried to flip around everything they had built up in past few episodes like coworkers being gossipy b.itches to suddenly stepping in for her, male lead always watching silently suddenly taking action. However, none of that really changes anything drastically. The fact her coworkers had been bullying and mistreating her is a fact just staying out there, just one small incident shouldn't erase entire years length of mistreatment. As of male lead not that he impressed much but atleast the humanity inside him woke up and he took some step. May his humanity stay awake and not faint like it does with him.

The worst in drama is 2nd male lead character and his artificial romance with suyoung. So firstly he is worst part because he is so extremely boring, like with that sticker like smile always pasted on his face his character is so unbearable despite all his niceness. Then I am not liking the romance at all, it looks so forced and artificial, what is disturbing is the fact that suyoung knows she loves sang su but she is forcing herself to smile artificially, interact artificially with 2ml in that world's most artificial relationship. All she's doing is, is hurting herself. I personally think in a situation like suyoung's one shouldn't force themself into a relationship and rather patiently wait. Btw they never showed us why she suddenly starts dating him, it made no sense. I can still understand her attraction to sangsu as she knows him for long.

I wonder if people had found security guard's behavior creepy when he 'orders' fl to not go on blind dates as he is interested in her. Like is this the way you propose to someone by telling them to not do something when you haven't even taken their opinion about yourself. Then it comes off as even more selfish and disgusting when he tells her he needs years to establish himself but he just wanted to tell her in advance as if she is a territory he is marking. I dunno why writers wrote this part so awkwardly. In ideal world a girl should have slapped him shut and put him in his place but su young takes it easy. And this whole idea of wait for me for years without even taking her opinion whether she is interested in him or not is just beyond me....

Now another worst part of show is 2fl. Every action she does, every step she takes screams of manipulation. It was quite nosy of her to ask suyoung who is texting at that artgun shop, it got really disgusting when she visibly shows a sign of relief when she hears SY is dating someone else. Also did people notice in the beginning when she joins office she asks sangsu if he likes suyoung and he doesn't give clear answer from which she knows there is something but despite that she always approaches fl to tell her she has confessed her feelings to sunbae, she has proposed sunbae, she has this and that sunbae, like she is already trying to tell her stay out of this, otherwise there's no point in spouting it before suyoung and each time she does it increases distance between SS and SY. 

I am also finding it hard to understand su young after ep 6. I am okay with her staying cold with sangsu after the date incident, it's her right to say no and stay away from a person she doesn't want to carry on with. Then after hotel hug scene it was confusing why she was still cold, atleast there should be some explanation to it. However, I didn't mind her rudeness after seeing him saying, 'it's her choice' about manager's abuse. I feel each time she resolves a misunderstanding something from her past comes to stand infront her, or some mistreatment from workplace or Mikyong manipulator's constant confessions about sunbae or her show of wealth come before her, all these things bit by bit keep psychologically breaking her, not to forget she suffers from severe inferiority complex, and reminding her that if she will try to enter his world, she might do so right now but eventually he will kick her out( which isn't farfetched given how he is). Her fears might be unfounded but if we see lots of times it's fears that keep blocking people from taking steps. Suyoung really deserves sympathy and emotional support, she's in avery weak place with very lil self esteem.

I personally don't like male lead enough so I don't want him and suyoung to date. I want her to stay single and find someone totally away from both these male leads. Sangsu is better off with that manipulative woman, she's so desperate that she's willing totake him up on 1pc affection, no wonder why she was always rubbing it on suyoung's face because she wanted to have him at any cost. 

As of 2ml suddenly doing her dirty, it's very shocking after showing him such a good guy they made him do this, which is not acceptable no matter why he did it.

Anyways, lolz excited for more angst from this great show.

• Like 2

I only came on this thread to let myself convinced to continue watching this. For the past 5 episodes I have only been watching it for Yoo Yeon-seok, and not because I like the way he looks, but because he seems like a nice guy.

Why would I have dropped it if not for Yoo Yeon-seok? I feel like watching a drama from the early 2000s. Even then I managed to avoid them, and now I am watching it just for Yoo Yeon-seok... Something's wrong with me...

@Shimmery-summer I do not know if someone else said this but she left before listening to the whole thing. If not listening to the rest, one could think that Sang-su does not care for her "it's her choice" (it's none of our business), while he says that they should respect her choice. She would have understood it if not for her emotions and inferiority complexes. Furthermore, like a true 2000s' plot, she leaves before he finishes speaking. I've long understood that I cannot grasp all cultural differences. In my country, if they would have stand for her, they would get on the bad side of their boss. It seems like in their culture, them standing for her would bring her more trouble. My mind simply cannot grasp it, but I can understand that, in a world I do not understand, he was trying to protect her.

As for Jong-hyeon, it is not even about her having a brotherly love for the poor guy. She sees her brother in him. I can understand befriending the guy who reminds you of your dead brother, but not dating him... Anyway, I feel bad for him as I feel that he is being used because she misses her brother.

On the other hand, have you noticed that the "motif" of looking for a woman whose family can help you out occurs more and more often in dramas? In this one I find it more disturbing, but I feel like it actually reflects the Korean society. The trend is not new, but they finally start calling a spade a spade even in Kdramas (unlike the ideal MLs in older dramas).

I'll go back to carefully reading your comments. Maybe you convince me to continue watching the drama.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hannahmiriam said:

I do not know if someone else said this but she left before listening to the whole thing. If not listening to the rest, one could think that Sang-su does not care for her "it's her choice" (it's none of our business), while he says that they should respect her choice.

Oh yes I know he says something better after 'her choice' comment. But his choice of words were quite wrong imo, as she really had no choice. Maybe you are right in her culture standing up for her might bring problems( despite that I still disagree on silence because continuous silence just enables bullies more, it's ironic I am saying this because when I stood against my bullies after a short period of calm I got even more horrific bullying, some people are incurable, till some karma hits them they never stop hurting people) but this was a gathering of his rank coworkers where he could be honest, he could say that straight up, 'yes she's wronged' instead of putting it in politically correct manner, 'her choice', because she had no choice so she was suffering. I seriously can't blame her for inferiority complexes because the society treated her so harshly that she became this way. And honestly, sang su is so indecisive, I really don't think he can stand with her in long term with his confused thinking.

Plus yoo yoon seok is such a precious actor.

This is how I looked at it which could be wrong lolzz I dunno. 

As for Jong-hyeon, it is not even about her having a brotherly love for the poor guy. She sees her brother in him. I can understand befriending the guy who reminds you of your dead brother, but not dating him... Anyway, I feel bad for him as I feel that he is being used because she misses her brother.

Tbh I didn't care much about jong hyeon being used as I didn't like how he approached her telling her not to go on blind dates when he hadn't even asked her, 'is she interested in him'. Like imagine a guy who you know but have no feelings for comes and say Ms. B plz don't go on blind dates as I am interested in you. I felt her dating him was more of her being unjust to herself. I didn't see her using him because when she starts to date him she is giving him all her sincere love despite her heart not being there, she wishes to build a strong bond with him, to have someone to rely on and mainly that he is from her socio economic group she doesn't fear running away. But he dumped her now so...

On the other hand, have you noticed that the "motif" of looking for a woman whose family can help you out occurs more and more often in dramas? In this one I find it more disturbing, but I feel like it actually reflects the Korean society. The trend is not new, but they finally start calling a spade a spade even in Kdramas (unlike the ideal MLs in older dramas).

It's a societal thing but exists in other countries too and in general in elite class regardless of country. if you look at it, this drama is totally trying to bare the societal issues found in korea which means writers are sick of what's happening and want to call it out which is great. Lot of korean shows are doing it like lib notes, our blues, so really appreciate it. I liked how they exposed how Su young as a woman, as a high school graduate, as a person of no connections would suffer and face sexism at workplace even from rich female colleagues.

I'll go back to carefully reading your comments. Maybe you convince me to continue watching the drama.

When this show started I hadn't watched it but checked response online and people were calling su young names for not accepting sang su's apology, so I thought it's a bad show. But when I watched I sympathized with suyoung. So I write from my perspective, lot of people still dislike suyoung which I didn't like earlier but reading comments in this thread I realized it's fun that people are bringing their own perspectives whether it's pro sangsu or pro su young, and they are making the show more fun. I had always been watching it to see workplace dynamics not for romamce but if I feel show has gone bad I will drop it. So if you are not enjoying just leave it, don't force yourself or try to be convinced by comments because we all have different likes dislikes. If I drop this show I will drop a comment here but I hope not, it's a nice deep show.

• Like 2

Moon Ga Young Fights Back Her Tears As She Faces Ex Jung Ga Ram In “The Interest Of Love”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jan 10, 2023
by E. Cha

On the next episode of JTBC’s “The Interest of Love,” the reason why Jung Ga Ram suddenly broke up with Moon Ga Young will be revealed.

“The Interest of Love” is a realistic romance drama about four people with different interests who meet while working at the Yeongpo branch of KCU Bank. As they become entangled in one another’s lives, they eventually come to understand the true meaning of love. Yoo Yeon Seok stars as Ha Sang Soo, a man who firmly believes that a stable and uneventful life is the key to happiness, while Moon Ga Young plays his co-worker Ahn Soo Young, who is wary of love.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “The Interest of Love,” the budding romance between Ahn Soo Young and Jung Jong Hyun (Jung Ga Ram) unexpectedly came to an abrupt halt. After his exam, Jung Jong Hyun suddenly ghosted Ahn Soo Young, and when he finally got in touch with her, it was to tell her he wanted to break up.

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, the former couple shares a tense reunion when Ahn Soo Young finds Jung Jong Hyun loitering outside the bank. Arms crossed and eyes welling up with tears, Ahn Soo Young glares daggers at her ex as she seemingly waits for him to speak.

But while Ahn Soo Young is unable to hide her tempestuous emotions during this emotional confrontation, Jung Jong Hyun appears as calm as ever, piquing curiosity as to why he chose to break things off with her out of nowhere.

Moon-Ga-Young.jpg

Jung-Ga-Ram-1536x1024.jpg

Spoiler

Jung-Ga-Ram-Moon-Ga-Young-2-1536x1024.jp

To find out why Jung Jong Hyun suddenly ended what seemed to be a promising relationship, tune in to the next episode of “The Interest of Love” on January 11 at 10:30 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562386wpp/moon-ga-young-fights-back-her-tears-as-she-faces-ex-jung-ga-ram-in-the-interest-of-love

• Like 3

Yoo Yeon Seok And Geum Sae Rok Share An Awkward Encounter With Moon Ga Young In “The Interest Of Love”

Yoo Yeon Seok And Geum Sae Rok Share An Awkward Encounter With Moon Ga Young In “The Interest Of Love”

“The Interest of Love” has previewed a very uncomfortable three-way meeting between the leads!

“The Interest of Love” is a realistic romance drama about four people with different interests who meet while working at the Yeongpo branch of KCU Bank. As they become entangled in one another’s lives, they eventually come to understand the true meaning of love.

Spoilers

After Park Mi Kyung (Geum Sae Rok) came on strong toward Ha Sang Soo (Yoo Yeon Seok), the two started dating secretly. During the weekend, they go hiking, which is considered to be a popular way for office workers to spend their leisure time, along with two other colleagues. As they just became lovers from being senior-and-junior at the office, the two enjoy a heart-fluttering date under the guise of a casual weekend hike, clinging to one another throughout the walk.

In the first set of stills below, Ha Sang Soo and Park Mi Kyung take selfies against the backdrop of a green forest and exchange small talk, creating a lovey-dovey atmosphere. Ha Sang Soo melts Park Mi Kyung’s heart as he gently checks on her condition during the hike.

Yoo-Yeon-Seok_Geum-Sae-Rok02.jpeg

Yoo-Yeon-Seok_Geum-Sae-Rok03.jpeg

With this hiking as an opportunity, the distance between Ha Sang Soo and Park Mi Kyung gets close very quickly to the point that they share a sweet kiss. However, as they are wary of their colleagues Ma Doo Shik (Lee Si Hoon) and Bae Eun Jung (Jo In) who are making their way up the mountain behind them, the two are being more careful and secretive in their displays of affection.

Spoiler

Yoo-Yeon-Seok_Geum-Sae-Rok01.jpeg

In midst of the situation where no one knows that Ha Sang Soo and Park Mi Kyung are dating, the next stills preview an awkward meal between Ha Sang Soo, Park Mi Kyung, Ahn Soo Young, and So Kyung Pil (Moon Tae Yoo). The restaurant that the four colleagues go to is a gulgukbap (oyster soup with rice) restaurant run by Ahn Soo Young’s parents. Ahn Soo Young, who is estranged from her family, sits very uncomfortably as she is conscious not only of Ha Sang Soo sitting across from her but also of her parents.

Spoiler

encounter.jpeg

Ha Sang Soo remembers Ahn Soo Young’s words that she does not like oysters, so he instinctively pays attention to Ahn Soo Young. Nevertheless, Ha Sang Soo also does not forget to check on Park Mi Kyung sitting next to him. However, his innate kindness leaves a deep wound on Ahn Soo Young’s heart.

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok_still01.jpeg

moon-ga-young_still01.jpeg

geum-sae-rok_01.jpeg

So Kyung Pil, who watches the whole situation and grasps the subtle atmosphere between Ha Sang Soo and Ahn Soo Young, tries to lighten up the mood as a reliable friend of Ha Sang Soo. Anticipation is high for whether the uncomfortable meal between the four people can end without any trouble and whether Ha Sang Soo and Ahn Soo Young can hide their feelings for each other well.

Spoiler

moon-tae-yoo.jpeg

Tune in for episode 7 of “The Interest of Love” which airs on January 11 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562440wpp/yoo-yeon-seok-and-geum-sae-rok-share-an-awkward-encounter-with-moon-ga-young-in-the-interest-of-love

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

The way Mi Gyeong's mom warned Sang Su's mom not to take her daughter in as a dil. Oh if she only knew ha-ha. 

I find Mi Gyeong annoying. What's worse when her mom brought up on how she stole and took credit for Su Yeong's hard work, she acted indifferently tsk.

I knew it had something to do with his family that prompted Jong Hyeon to call it quits. But I don't think it's right for Su Yeong to continue to lead him on either. I find her puzzling but hey at least she's slightly more tolerable than Mi Gyeong LoL.

Mi Gyeong is so clingy and pushy ugh yikes. With the way Gyeong Pil acted over the news of Mi Gyeong and Sang Su dating one might think he is crushing on Sang Su LoL. 

Sigh how will this complicated love square end LoL? In bts, Ga Young and Yoon Seok act more like Mi Gyeong with Sang Su ha-ha. While the other 2 are surprisingly quiet and withdrawn LoL in interviews etc.

• Like 3

Not much happened in ep7 it was kinda boring and draggy to me. 

I always said Mikyong is a conniving btch, and she knew Sangsu might be into suyoung given her popularity with men, hence she befriended her right away and without asking kept telling her about her feelings for sunbae while taking her out to expensive places to buy out her loyalities and also by faking sympathy with her while she felt nothing for her in real. Her intention was twofold 1) I like him so you should sacrifice for a friend, 2) you should know your place and forget sunbae.

What surprises me is why writers are writing MK this way but not bringing it out in clear in dialogues except 2 or 3 ocassions like when her mom asks she stole other girl's work, like writers are showing her actions very questionable but are not giving any clear commentary through other characters or are not showing anything that clearly talks about her manipulation. Writers are aware of these things hence they showed us such scenes but they need to be more open about it now.

I felt Mikyeong's really btchy face gets exposed for once when her mom instantly blurts out, 'you stole her work?', and in return when she says, It was meant to be mine. Could someone explain how it was meant to be hers in the first place, didn't branch manager give it to suyoung? The important point is that she had no respect and consideration she stole someone's hardwork, and when she is alone with someone and noone from her workplace is there in room her mask comes off and she shamelessly rejects someone's hardwork calling it her job since start. If nothing else, couldn't she accept something wrong has happened and give credit to her, but instead she indirectly blames her. And given her lack of skills, it's also clear had she done this project on her own she wouldn't have done so well as suyoung.

Enough with writers allowing mikyeong to get away with her manipulations. Also she doesn't feel like a human, she feels like a robot who had everything planned out the way she wanted and she is quickly doing things to complete that plan. Like after building a fake self made career, stealing others work while living super rich life on dad's money she just needed a braindead puppet sang su who doesn't have an iota of energy to say yes or no when needed and who totally gets pushed around and forced by her and despite disliking it he doesn't utter a word; also a man who always when sees the woman he actually loves, continues to sit in a corner with a constipated expression and does nothing, and still sits like a statue even when his nasty coworkers keep walking past her- touching, humiliating her (karaoke bar scene and many meets ups). 

It was clear how she forced a kiss in public and then brazenly tells him to not breakup because now it is out. If sangsu's empty head had a brain he would have seen manipulation and red flags and ran away but he is like that slow slug that barely moves. So good, 2 such people should stay together.

After hiking, at dinner when everyone is discussing their affair, when mr. Noh finds out she lives in gangnam, he tells him to take good care of her, it was very cheap of him. Why everyone at bank is so twisted.

I didn't like when his best friend asks suyoung about security guard's absence, that was b.tchy and given he and suyoung have no ill feelings, dunno why he did it, to make sangsu uncomfortable? Also when it is shown all four are seated in oyster restaurant suyoung looks at sangsu with a shocked expression- I didn't get why was it. Because he took her to oyster restaurant when she said she dislikes oysters? but that's not a reason to feel bad as noone was forcing her there or was it something else.

Anyways, many people dislike suyoung going extra lengths for security guard and think she is using him. I disagree. Despite the fact that she doesn't love him, and she prolly she sees her brother in him, she is giving him her sincere feelings, she feels they are in almost same social class so he may not look down on her for reasons others do, so she sincerely wants to build a family with him even when her heart is not with him. We can see that her self esteem is so low and she is so hurt that when he refuses to let her know the reason for breakup she says something like, you look down on me etc etc, the same stuff that she fears, which makes him finally speak up the truth.

I really felt this episode's best part and a genuine healing part was when she leaves hiking behind and runs over to him. This is what she should have done. This is a real life thing that when people see someone around them suffering or in a tough place like JH they say few words of sympathy but move on, noone ever takes time to reach out to that person to help them out emotionally or in whatever little way they could. It was lovely of su young who despite accepting she can't deal with a situtation like the one jong hyeon is in, next day runs to pull him out of his despair swamp and to give him courage. At this point it is not important that she is dating him, it's important that she sees him as a human who needs help and support while others would look down on him for his problems. 

However, no matter what his sutuation was it could never be justified how he didn't inform her and just like that broke up. For this and other reaoss I mentioned in prev comments I believe she shouldn't date him though they can stay good friends.

At this point I really want MK to get a taste of her own medicine. Next preview is baity, and people might want this to happen, even I wouldn't mind but I seriously wish it doesn't happen because just one time hookup is not what suyoung needs and sang su is not worthy of a partner, not till he learns how to be a decisive human who knows how to standup for those that he loves and who can say no to a pushy person like mikyong and strictly sets his boundaries. 

I really liked the jong hyeon and suyoung end hug, a hug between 2 good friends, not in romance way.

The other scene that was good was when he was in the car with manipulator and suyoung is sitting in bus stopped next to his car. The longing in both their eyes....

• Like 2

Just finished watching episode 7.

Thoughts:

I feel like it was Su Yeong's episode.

Personally I am still rooting for Sang Su and Su Yeong but I am really liking how Su Yeong is sticking to her relationship and sticking up with Jong Hyeon. Actively making a decision and acting on it and owning that decision. I love that in a character.

I love how she used the same sweet and full of encouragement peptalk and lines Jong Hyeon told her on the earlier scene. For me, that was when I felt JH is a good person for Su Yeong. They have an implicit understanding of how difficult life is because both of them are of the same background. I liked that dialogue very much. It was hopeful and full of comfort. The reversal was a good tie up scene.

While I still don't know if it is real love or SY confusing her feelings for trying to re-live a relationship with her dead brother that she lost tragically, I don't know. But I am looking forward to how it will unfold in the future.

The one other scene that stood out for me was the closing scene.

The SY/JH couple was in an embrace while for the SS/MG couple there was a gap between them.

It maybe intentional or not but it mirrors where the relationship is between these 2 couples. The SY/JH they've seen their worst and they are actively seeking to be together and to continue supporting each other which is a big green flag for me. In reality the romance will wear off and then you will see each other's dark and the not lovable side. These characters live a difficult life and it's one of the reasons why I am seeing that they might be more compatible moving forward.

On the other hand SS/JH, it is always the woman who instigates/starts something, anything. The confession, the holding hands, the hugs, the kiss and the invitation to spend the night too.

For me, this is a red flag. SS is always a step behind and it is very uncomfortable to see these scenes. But like what he always do, he just lets things happen for him and around him. I can see that he has this perpetual uncomfortable face and he is still not saying anything. Which is frustrating but then doing nothing is also a choice. I am really hoping in the next episodes we see some character development for SS.

MG, oh my gosh, I literally cringe every single time she pushes the relationship forward. Girl, I wish you luck. I don't know until where, your doing the initiative always, will get you but good luck. And I think GP and her are exes. 

• Like 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 7! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings + “Unlock My Boss” Maintains All-Time High Ahead Of Finale

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 11 broadcast of JTBC’s “The Interest of Love” recorded an average nationwide viewership rating of 2.4 percent. This is a 0.6 percent drop from the previous episode’s record of 3.0 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562563wpp/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-premieres-to-no-1-ratings-unlock-my-boss-maintains-all-time-high-ahead-of-finale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1