[Drama 2021 - 2022] Our Beloved Summer ⏯️ 그 해 우리는

Maetawinz

Just watched ep 9 twice (livestream+Netflix) back-to-back and coming here to rant. A much much much more emotional episode than the preview, pics and pre-released clipm. Was tearing up the whole time. :sad1:

First off, the kiss, while celebrated, brought 2 completely different reactions and consequences for YS and Woong. YS broke apart and ran away and for Woong, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. He couldnt bear to be rejected by YS again, as his emotions were always affected by her mere presence and she possessed the power to shake his world. So Woong, clearly livid, decided that he would move on from YS, and that he would not get back together with her (he thought of this before, probably always holding out a candle for this hope but it had extinguished now). It was like woong had this misunderstanding that YS was rejecting him, even her presence he misunderstood to be YS seeking his validation that it was just a mistake. CWS is an amazing actor, i cant stress that enough. You could see his pain throughout the episode. And that dream of a lost boy probably explained why Woong hated to be alone, that fear of abandonment from which he never recovered, further exacerbated by YS dumping him cruelly. As he said, being alone from the start was much more bearable than to be left alone by someone he was close to. Maybe this was also why his parents always had a sense of guilt towards him, that childhood incident that I'm sure we'll revisit. 

As for YS, that kiss had the opposite effect. Yes, she broke it off and ran away but that was the moment her walls crumbled. She no longer had the strength and confidence to pretend she was all okay and that she no longer had feelings for him. She grew impatient, she wanted to meet him and maybe even force some confession out from him, only to be disappointed first when he told her he didn't want them to get back together. YS was just like the audience, never convinced what Woong said about his feelings for her, so she threw caution to the wind to spend time with him. I do think her calling him "friend" too many times was to annoy him and to that, I say, good job, YS-ya. Be bold and proactive. :piggydance:

I'm also glad that YS discovered how he still kept traces of her like the shirt and the breakup place, even discovering he lied about having an empty schedule. I foresee Woong being more reserved and withdrawn moving forward so their saving grace would be Ys's pride and tenacity to not let Woong go, especially now that she could admit her feelings and desire to get back with him. 

As for JW, I totally agree with Chaeran. He did his absolute best to keep his feelings to himself and put his friendship first but alas, he couldnt control his feelings (he's only a human). The conflict between YS and Woong would give him more opportunities to connect with YS and that would just give more ideas into his head that perhaps he should listen to his heart too. 

As for NJ, now we knew what was the conversation about, woong promised her a meal (she took it as a date) and in true NJ fashion, is moving full steam ahead to pursue him. It's adorable tbh, and NJ is a nice person, and meeting Woong seemed to change her for the better too. 

Basically, Woong was livid and hurt, YS was sad and hurt, JW was hopeful and hurt. So much hurt in this episode, no wonder I was such an emotional wreck. :cries3:

Preview ep 10:

Tbh I don't like it because it looks sad. YS clearly affected by NJ and Woong's date. YS-Woong-Jw dynamics will change, now that it seems not only would JW try to confess to YS, but looks like Woong may learn about his bestie's crush on his ex. I have this weird feeling that Woong may do something crazy like giving his blessings to JW to pursue YS or something since he stubbornly wants to move on and has a soft spot for JW. This would create a headache for all 3. I do hope that this sad arc won't be dragged too long. woong needs to realise that it wasn't rejection, it was just confusion and that YS still loves him, she probably has learned her lessons too. As for Jw, I want him to be happy but you can't make a relationship from one person's feelings only and clearly, Ys's feelings for Woong have returned even stronger. 

Anyway, off to watch for 3rd time, sorry for the long rant chinggus. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Putting my feelings first is what episode 9 was for me.The consequences of it on others to be dealt in the following episodes.9 episodes to reach here..Summer is moving at a snail's pace in Yeonsu and Woong's world.

Still left undiscovered-

for Yeonsu-the deep emotional scar that she uintentionally left Woong with due to her arbitary actions in the past.

Woong-not being able to see the struggles of Yeonsu while they were together.

JW-is not an impartial observer.He is capable of hurting others the same way that he feels others do to him.

NJ-doesn't need a pretext like Woong to be a considerate person.She can be like that if she chooses to.

Hope we get good closures with these and not a rushed one.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

I wonder what he hasn’t said to her yet. she told him in episode 9 I want to hear something from you that you never said back then. It doesn’t seem to be the obvious ‘I love you’. Is it that both have the same fear of abandonment and she wanted him to say to her that he will never leave her and always come back? I also wonder is what they both wanna hear from each other is exactly the same. That she will always stay by his side is what the lost child in him wanted to hear all along too. And her breaking up further caused his childhood wounds to resurface and that’s why he couldn’t handle the break up well. 

Also could there be a possibility that Choi Ung was abandoned and hence adopted by his current parents? Why is it that his parents dote him but he isn’t as affectionate and yet very grateful toward them? If you have such affectionate parents wouldn’t you be naturally more affectionate? Or is it because they left him alone too often?

So confusing. Also they are already at the point where they should get back together. I hope that the series doesn’t seem dragged after this unnecessarily pulling them apart and yet I also hope that the ending is a happy one.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

so she threw caution to the wind to spend time with him. I do think her calling him "friend" too many times was to annoy him and to that, I say, good job, YS-ya. Be bold and proactive. 

I agree and glad that she was being bold and proactive and hopefully assertive too.  

Basically, Woong was livid and hurt, YS was sad and hurt, JW was hopeful and hurt. So much hurt in this episode, no wonder I was such an emotional wreck. 

This week we will suffer indirectly from watching them being hurt.  I did realise that once they broke up they really didn't  see how each person "suffer" -> the one who left and the one who was left alone (including the observer)  

sorry for the long rant chinggus. 

That is what this thread is all about...

4 hours ago, Noha Mohamed said:

. Shame on you Kim Jiung. SHAME ON YOU.

Tell us some more about it. 

3 hours ago, Raynaa said:

Also could there be a possibility that Choi Ung was abandoned and hence adopted by his current parents? Why is it that his parents dote him but he isn’t as affectionate and yet very grateful toward them? If you have such affectionate parents wouldn’t you be naturally more affectionate? Or is it because they left him alone too often?

Those are good questions.  His nightmare of being abandoned look like a trauma that haunt him till now.  

3 hours ago, Raynaa said:

.I hope that the series doesn’t seem dragged after this unnecessarily pulling them apart and yet I also hope that the ending is a happy one.

Why is it I am confidence that it will be a happy ending...  At this moment it does look like they are still unable to express clearly what each is feeling towards each other. More confusion is coming since "the action" is contrast to what is being said.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Woong-not being able to see the struggles of Yeonsu while they were together.

I disagree. He could tell something was wrong but she always put up this facade. His frustration came from her not wanting to open up to him despite their relationship at the time. He didn't know the full details of the struggles simply because she shut him out. 

7 hours ago, Raynaa said:

Fans are wondering about this too. I initially thought that it was because he got separated from his parents as kids do sometimes but who knows. He's also an only child so maybe his parents aren't his biological parents and they suffered from infertility. Explains why they also treat his friends like their own kids, and why his parents worry over his constant alone state.Don't think his parents left him alone, they kept him at the restaurant under their watchful eyes and always were attentive to his school activities, unlike JWs mom. Woong probably has some kind of PTSD from abandonment. 

8 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

JW-is not an impartial observer.He is capable of hurting others the same way that he feels others do to him.

This is true but only if they hurt him first, like with his mother. In woong's case, he hasn't done anything wrong and Jw responded in kind by keeping YS at bay even when YS-woong broke up for good. So far his character seems to value friendship especially to Woong who shared everything with him from childhood. 

7 hours ago, Raynaa said:

I wonder what he hasn’t said to her yet. she told him in episode 9 I want to hear something from you that you never said back then. It doesn’t seem to be the obvious ‘I love you’. Is it that both have the same fear of abandonment and she wanted him to say to her that he will never leave her and always come back?

Nope, I believe it is the obvious "I love you". Woong only said "I like you" before. You could tell it's "I love you" from all the baiting YS did back then like saying "you must like me a lot". Besides, woong is a man of action so it makes sense if he never uttered "I love you" before. To him, his actions were clear indications of his love and affection for her while YS wanted verbal affirmations. She didn't want to ask him to say it to her so she's been baiting and hinting at him but Woong is known to be clueless and innocent, like being genuinely surprised that NJ likes him when she's as subtle as a glass and even thinking that an outing with NJ alone constitutes just a meal, not a date. I feel like towards the end, all YS needs to do is just ask straight up "do you love me?" 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, Noha Mohamed said:

I'm a silent reader, but I felt the need to create an account for the first time ever here just to say this. Shame on you Kim Jiung. SHAME ON YOU.

I don't think he should be shameful, feelings are uncontrollable, he tried his best to advoid her in the past but she still came back no matter how hard he tried. Things don't work out as planned. Now YS and Woong are exes, I don't see any reasons for JiUng not be truthful to his feelings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

I disagree. He could tell something was wrong but she always put up this facade. His frustration came from her not wanting to open up to him despite their relationship at the time. He didn't know the full details of the struggles simply because she shut him out.

Did he get an inkling something is bothering Yeonsu? Yes.Did he understand the gravity of it? Nope.If I draw a parallel Yeonsu knew Woong will feel be hurt by their break up.She never understood that for a sensitive person like him she was  important as family.The blow of break exacerbated his psychologically trauma from which he suffers till now.He had been let down by the two most important emotional anchors(YS +family)that he had.Both concelead what mattered most to them while dating instead of sharing.

It is true JW didn't make a move on Yeonsu while they were dating but he never corrected Woong's wrong assumption that he hated Yeonsu.

He saw what his friend went through post the break up.He has viewed the unaired documentary footage too and like his junior knows the feelings of Yeonsu and Woong run deep and they haven't resolved but he still took on the documentary project.He is a self styled observer so how did he miss that his actions have a high chance of putting his friend through an avoidable emotional rollercoaster?

Woong has never hurt him and considers JW a true friend.He even made a plea to Yeonsu not to take away his friend. Is JW a good friend to Woong like Sol is to Yeonsu?He might become one in later episodes but isn't right now.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, YongZura⁷ said:

It was just having a meal together... not really a date.

:hwaiting2:This is only in Woong's mind but everyone else including NJ will see it as a date. Such is his innocence, tbh. 

Got me thinking that this whole thing happening in front of JW so maybe he will take it as a further sign that Woong totally has moved on and it's his chance now. That's horrific tbh, because regardless of Woong's feelings, YS clearly and obviously still harbours feelings for Woong and Jw shouldn't take advantage of her vulnerable state to try for her affection, that's a low blow indeed. 

NJ is very perceptive of her surroundings so we already see her staking her claim on woong. She Knows YS is not just a friend or colleague. Also, that building they pointed at in the preview, perhaps that's NJ's building that she wanted Woong to draw. Seems like a beautiful date spot, pretty sure since it's with NJ it will be ultra private. 

Also on the preview, seems like Woong will pay a visit to JW bringing food, so i wonder if that shocked look at the screen is because he finally figures out JWs crush on YS or something. 

I also just saw a clip that reminded me of Woong's abandonment issue. When they were breaking up, Woong already said "am I the easiest thing you can abandon" and YS said "no, you are the only thing I can abandon". That hurts me even more now thinking of Woong's abandonment issue. YS was right. She DID brutally dumped him. Woong would not want to feel that way again no matter how much he loved her, which is why he went for the middle ground of seeking friendship so that she could stay in his life but not in a way that could hurt him. 

YS is having a clear change of heart now and I support her efforts to win him back if she really sees his worth but she needs to change too. He shouldn't be the person that she loves but would abandon again when things get tough and her pride gets in the way. YS needs to see Woong as an ally and partner to weather through storms together. For that, she needs to convince him first because at this point, he's settled to living a life alone, not even moving on with NJ, because of the way she hurt him before. So to that I say, go Ys, don't give up easily. Cry and cry again but don't give up. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

[Making]

On 12/31/2021 at 3:40 AM, Sakurafairy said:

I don't know why this ep is titled 'Before Sunset.' Please enlighten me chingudeul. 

This is just my interpretation ~ It was a very important moment because everything after that changed. Some associate sunset as the end of the day just like the sunrise as the beginning of the day   It was an unexpected  kiss and the next day both went back home with a different perspective.  One accepted the change into "just friend" (that was what he thought) while YS's love live has started to bloom again.  

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

SBS’s “Our Beloved Summer” earned an average nationwide rating of 3.6 percent, marking a slight dip from the drama’s personal best of 4.3 percent set last week

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/show-window-the-queens-house-becomes-no-1-in-ratings-with-new-personal-best-ghost-doctor-staff-with-promising-premiere/#ixzz7GycTeY4i

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Tell us some more about it. 

He's one step away from making a move on his BF's ex. He's perfectly aware that CW still loves her, and from the way he was talking to the assistant PD, he knows that he's not being a really good friend right now. How could he do this to CW who considers him a brother? CW never even suspected that such a thing could be happening when he saw KJW contacting YS and all he asked was for her not to steal his BF. It's gonna be so heartbreaking when he finds out. :sad1:

4 hours ago, LanA said:

I don't think he should be shameful, feelings are uncontrollable, he tried his best to advoid her in the past but she still came back no matter how hard he tried. Things don't work out as planned. Now YS and Woong are exes, I don't see any reasons for JiUng not be truthful to his feelings.

That's totally okay if CW and YS no longer have feelings for each other, but they do. KJW has been closely watching YS and he knows she still feels something, and like Mr. Jang said, everyone knows it's not over yet for CW.

I feel like KJW is setting himself up for failure. YS will never reciprocate his feelings, and when CW finds out, it will never be the same between them. 

3 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

Also on the preview, seems like Woong will pay a visit to JW bringing food, so i wonder if that shocked look at the screen is because he finally figures out JWs crush on YS or something. 

Oh I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

FIPprHGaMAIwoC1?format=jpg&name=900x900

Choi Woo Shik Comes Across An Awkward Situation With Kim Da Mi’s Grandmother In “Our Beloved Summer” by L. Kim

Newly released stills depict Choi Woong visiting Guk Yeon Soo’s house this time. The two are having dinner with her grandmother Kang Ja Kyung (Cha Mi Kyung), who is her only family member. They are enveloped in odd silence, and there is a layer of tension in the air. Kang Ja Kyung isn’t too pleased to see the boy who appeared out of nowhere five years after the breakup with her granddaughter. Choi Woong is flustered by her chilly response to his presence, and he’s sitting on pins and needles, as if he has committed a grave crime. How did Choi Woong end up at Guk Yeon Soo’s house just shortly after declaring they should be just friends?

* In the earlier episode I really thought that her grandmother was just in her mind. Ha ha ha.. till  I saw JI-Ung and her grandmother talked to each other.  This is really awkward... let's see how Choi-Ung is going to face her. Did her grandmother know what really happened during their break up?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noha Mohamed said:

He's one step away from making a move on his BF's ex. He's perfectly aware that CW still loves her, and from the way he was talking to the assistant PD, he knows that he's not being a really good friend right now. How could he do this to CW who considers him a brother? CW never even suspected that such a thing could be happening when he saw KJW contacting YS and all he asked was for her not to steal his BF. It's gonna be so heartbreaking when he finds out. :sad1:

That's totally okay if CW and YS no longer have feelings for each other, but they do. KJW has been closely watching YS and he knows she still feels something, and like Mr. Jang said, everyone knows it's not over yet for CW.

I feel like KJW is setting himself up for failure. YS will never reciprocate his feelings, and when CW finds out, it will never be the same between them. 

He might be confused about how CW feels towards YS (he asked CW about that). He is not 100% sure about CW's feelings YET. Yes I agree JW is setting himself up for failure, but it will add more spices to the drama, I think we all can predict how this drama will end. Not with JW and YS obviously.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LanA said:

He might be confused about how CW feels towards YS (he asked CW about that). He is not 100% sure about CW's feelings YET. Yes I agree JW is setting himself up for failure, but it will add more spices to the drama, I think we all can predict how this drama will end. Not with JW and YS obviously.

He knows, he's just deluding himself. Classic second lead attitude. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

so in the next episode she's going to tell him that she can't be friends with him anymore, ok that's good. It is obvious that Yeonsoo wants to get back with him, he know that himself, being friends cannot work because they still have feelings for each other. Too bad their last break up was so violent, Woong is afraid of hurting himself if he comes date with her again , I want to say now that they each have to distance themselves
saw the trailer for the next episode, so for NJ I just wanna say that she's starting to see Yeonsoo as a rival now that she knows they were ex, in the last episode when they were talking in the Woong car,  Woong practically left her a door open, it was awkward on his part since he didn't think about it but at the same time he was not firm in his intention not to go out with her, it is like that so NJ wanna fight to get the man she loves, unrequited love? NJ believes in her chances

• Thanks 1