EVENT: [Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) - 궁

partyon

The prince is such a jerk at the breakfast table! I mean show some courtesy and respect. Do you have to be so blase about things and hurt people intentionally.

I appreciate his thoughtful side like when we get to know that it was his doing entirely, getting her some chocolates to cheer her up few episodes ago, before the wedding when she was stressed out. But, did I misunderstand or did the other prince actually take undue credit?:crazymad:

I liked the sneaky way the prince eavesdrops on people's conversations.:naughty:The confession was sweet. We already know the princess does not really dislike him, not in love either but attracted to him for sure.

Anyway, the prince is King of All Jerks at the B'day party!:onfirex:Glad he redeemed himself by putting on the shoes. Dude, don't judge a gift by its monetary value. Look at the person's heart. I am disappointed, prince.

I loved how the princess came to his rescue. The damsel saving the prince in distress. :approves:

P.S. I can't stand the two-faced ex. The prince should get rid of her palli palli! :kicks:

• LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

I am yet to watch episodes 5 and 6, but I felt like dropping the drama watching the 1st episode itself, still I continued. Episodes 3 and 4 were definitely better. 

What's with the FL's brother though? Suddenly stripping in front of the camera and almost ruining the whole ceremony:loolz:

The princess education is also not as strict as I would expect it to be, and how could FL get away cheating that way and being so obvious while reading it from here hands during the test :joy:

Anyway, for now I am watching this drama on FF, since I have promised @partyon Noona, I am not going to drop this drama. I hope it does get better :eats:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I am yet to watch episodes 5 and 6, but I felt like dropping the drama watching the 1st episode itself, still I continued. Episodes 3 and 4 were definitely better. 

What's with the FL's brother though? Suddenly stripping in front of the camera and almost ruining the whole ceremony:loolz:

The princess education is also not as strict as I would expect it to be, and how could FL get away cheating that way and being so obvious while reading it from here hands during the test :joy:

Anyway, for now I am watching this drama on FF, since I have promised @partyon Noona, I am not going to drop this drama. I hope it does get better :eats:

The weird brother is inserted at odd times to show the stark difference between CG's family 'normal' family. I never like this kind of scenes not just in Goong. It's so fakey. I can imagine a typical Asian family would give the kid a good smack in the old days for misbehaving in public. It's my fault. This is kdrama. Yes I FFW when her family comes up. 

I think the party is a good scene. CG's clothes fit her personality and age whereas HR looks like she borrows her mum's clothes. 

Seeing your partner getting cosy right in front of you with his ex? So humiliating, even if she feels he is a creep. The ending is good, she has fun with her friends and Yul.  Could she end up with her first fiance? I think I like that.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 5

@Sleepy Owl:  I'm sort of in the same boat as you.  The first 2 episodes were a struggle to watch.  Ep 3 and 4 were definitely better, although there are still some part you'd want to FF.  

A couple of thoughts after watching ep 5 and 6.  I like her 3 friends although the two that look like sisters are too silly.  I thought her gift to the Prince was very thoughtful.  He has enough money to buy whatever he wants, so in that case, you need to look outside the box.  But, I think he may actually like the gift knowing that she put some thought into it, instead of buying an expensive present with no meaning other than to impress.  

So, why has Yul's omma been gone from SK for so long?  I must have miss this---has Yul also been gone 15 years?

• Love 1
  • Blob 3

Finally in EP5 these two virgins are experiencing the beginning of falling in love.  Love is a messy journey, feeling flutter one moment then next feeling vulnerable from insecurity /confusion and jealousy  etc etc…  :luvarrow:
PS Shin’s jealousy made them return from Jeju the same day which CK complained.  

The opening of EP5 was rather strong. But this incident showed both of them began to have a feeling for each other.    First Shin humiliated Chae Kyung as a gold digger. As always Chae Kyung recovered and swung back saying yes she’s a gold digger and she married him for money though she disliked him.  Ouch! It was priceless to watch the way Shin reacted, shocked and hurt. A good punch for such an arrogant stuffy boy-prince   
Then the immature prince wanted to see the drama, ‘Trap of Youth’ Lol  I guess he was curious about ‘a gold digger’ :omg::naughty:
** about Trap of Youth (SBS 1999)

Spoiler

https://korean-drama-guide.com/trap-of-youth.html
Brief Synopsis

Trap of Youth is a heartwarming series starring the Korean top actress, Shim Eun Ha. Yun-hee (Shim) sacrifices her studies and makes money to support her boyfriend's (Lee Jong Won) college fees, and later gives birth to a son of his. Yet the boyfriend betrays her love and falls for a rich girl (Yoo Ho Jung). Yun-hee tries to break their relationship by getting close to the girl's brother. However, she cannot hurt her ex-boyfriend and her present boyfriend who is madly in love with her. Eventually, her boyfriend (Jun Kwang Ryul) moves her and dissolves her hatred with true love

This is also Korean movie queen, Shim Eun Ha's last serial till now. She has semi-retired and also hesitates picking up another serial because she finds that none can surpass this one. This serial also teaches a lesson - being unfaithful to one's lover can lead to drastic results when the person seeks revenge.

bqQtpuk.jpg

**Funny two different reactions: Enthralled Head butler Gong was and baffling Shin    Also Shin’s inseparable Alberto teddy bear

aF6cyRl.jpg

euL0bIo.jpg

cr to DC

• LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 4

Personally I still enjoy Goong.  Actually watching again made me appreciate it more. I missed out on a lot about the drama before.  I could see why the manhwa & the drama became so popular.  
The dialog in Goong is very funny, witty and colorful but unfortunately the translation is unable to capture it fully so that it appears like mere fantasy rom-com about coming of age.
There are many fun colloquial dialogs included trendy SLN words and word-games by CK’s friends/her bro.  They are supposed to represent common people.  For the elite palace people, they use a formal language(period sageuk). It seems the queen who takes the monarchy  seriously talks in a more formal(stuffy) way by adding Chinese words.  
It’s fun to hear the way ordinary people use a palace language like CK’s parents& bro talk like that in EP1 to persuade CK in favor of the palace marriage(half playfully and half earnestly)   Or CK’s friends to CK  Or CK’s teacher when CK tries to cheat on the exam.   It’s hilarious how the teacher talks to her while wielding a whip

PS I read about strong resistance from fans of the manhwa Goong in casting a newbie Yoon Eun-hye as CK  which is mentioned in the drama (CK’s anti fans)  At the time the manhwa series was still going on with  a huge following.  But eventually  YEH successfully turned manhwa-CK into drama YEH-CK. :kiss_wink:

QVtczc8.jpg

YEH captures one of CK’s endearing character traits; clumsy-innocent CK

pg3bAVS.jpg

6ZBQxQQ.jpg

Spoiler

6YlGOOq.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, booha said:

Personally I still enjoy Goong.  Actually watching again made me appreciate it more. I missed out on a lot about the drama before.  I could see why the manhwa & the drama became so popular.  

I am also enjoying it, chingu. :kiss_wink: I don't know why, but it's taking me back to times when k-dramas were more innocent and pure in a way.

I did not know that there was a strong resistance to cast Yoon Eun Hye in the role. Honestly I think she did a much finer job as Chae Kyung than Ju Ji Hoon oppa did as Prince Shin.

When I watched the drama for the first time I cringed every time Ju Ji Hoon appeared on my screen, because his acting was just too stiff. :joy:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Yoon-Eun-Hye-as-Shin-Chae-Kyung-princess

hai everyone. :D so many questions remain unanswered ahead of Princess Hours episode 7, Chae Kyung continues adapting to being Crown Princess and Hyo Rin starts to determine will win Crown Prince Lee Shin back. :D meanwhile, Chae Kyung hasn't returned home once since she came to the palace. Shin's grandmother Queen Mother was the most adorable thing ever. she was just too cute and she made me laugh so much. I loved her a lot. :D after receiving permission from Emperor, the Crown Prince with Chae Kyung finally set off to visit her home. Yoon Eun Hye is without doubt one of the greatest Korean actress of all time who joined as a lively character Chae Kyung, she always had a great sense of comedic timing. it takes center stage in the tiny room scenes where her character has reached her breaking point and all she can do is laugh and makes her husband happy. :D following their feelings of ease, honesty and emotional closeness in the cute moments of episode 8, Shin and Chae Kyung return from their visit. thinking about it now, I feel like most of my favorite scenes in general are in the early half of episode, Chae Kyung and the male lead Ju Ji Hun made a wonderful couple though. :D there's an amusing scene I remember Hyo Rin, she gets Chae Kyung and Lee Yul to join the equestrian club. I believe the plot is compelling but if we can suspend disbelief, it's an enjoyable drama. as the youngest child of Emperor Lee Hyen, has become the heir apparent to a political dynasty, Shin visits Thailand by himself because Emperor's ill. the "continue watching" row is one of the most prominent, appearing on my mind. :D

giphy-2.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Ep 7 and 8 were lighthearted and fun.

We saw Prince Shin stay with his in-laws and sleeping in the same room with his wife for the first time. Shin got to experience normal family life for the first time, where family members are friends.

We got 2 backhugs, Chae Kyung pouncing on the prince in her sleep and an almost kiss. :glasses:

Our princess has a serious back fetish. :joy:

tumblr_mf78wg0MPd1qb32v2o3_250.gif

cr. to owner

9c2c85d2b0a24142e732c06a127a0cf6.gif

cr. to owner

Our couple is falling in love as they learn more about each other, and learn how to lean on each other. Our prince is clearly confused by his feelings for her, but is clearly becoming more comfortable around her.

The big turning point in the episodes came when Shin and Yul fell off their horses and Chae Kyung ran over to Yul to help him instead of Shin. Shin interpreted it as meaning that Chae Kyung doesn't care about him / prefers Yul and that hurt his feelings a lot. Especially since he was finally opening his heart to her.

Of course we all know that Chae Kyung only ran to Yul because no one would help him....

Unfortunately our prince won't be easy to appease, and it's likely that we have a couple of difficult episodes ahead of us....

:crybaby:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, partyon said:

I am also enjoying it, chingu. :kiss_wink: I don't know why, but it's taking me back to times when k-dramas were more innocent and pure in a way.

I did not know that there was a strong resistance to cast Yoon Eun Hye in the role. Honestly I think she did a much finer job as Chae Kyung than Ju Ji Hoon oppa did as Prince Shin.

When I watched the drama for the first time I cringed every time Ju Ji Hoon appeared on my screen, because his acting was just too stiff. :joy:

I like what you said "...when k-dramas were more innocent and pure in a way."  Nowadays, everyone wants that physical contact.  Does that mean someone is in love, or even likes another person, for that matter?  Someone it's the small things that show love.

My streaming site froze in the middle of ep 7, so I'll try to continue tonight.  I have a question though.  Why did Yul snub CY when he walked by her (early in ep 7).  wish me luck finishing this time!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, CarolynH said:

My streaming site froze in the middle of ep 7, so I'll try to continue tonight.  I have a question though.  Why did Yul snub CY when he walked by her (early in ep 7).  wish me luck finishing this time!

Chingu, am not fully sure why he snubbed her. I think he's in love with her and it's making him increasingly agitated to see her fall in love with her husband...

Good luck!
:wow1:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

yay!  I finished ep 7 and 8 last night.  I'm definitely enjoying the drama more.  @partyon- you're correct; Yul snubbed CY bc he saw how chummy the Prince and CY are becoming.  Slowly, but surely, CY is winning the Prince over.  I think the Prince will find that it is easier to talk to CY than Hyo-Rin.  I don't see why Hyo-rin wants to be another Camilla.  Sure, Camilla got the Prince and is now a little more respect by the people, but I think Diana will always have the hearts of people.  Another thing I don't understand.  If Hyo-rin was going to turn down the offer to study ballet ..(I can't remember where) why didn't she accept the Prince's proposal?  Perhaps because she didn't anticipate that the Prince would fall for CY?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

On 8/21/2021 at 12:57 AM, partyon said:

You are right  When I compare current kdramas,  Goong gives off something of bygone era feelings, like  ‘more innocent and pure in a way’ as  you said.      Yeah it appears from 2006 to 2021 kdramas have made a journey up a cultural ladder reflecting change in society and people’s tastes.

I could understand why the manhwa fans weren’t happy with YEH at the beginning.  At the time she was a part of a girl group, BabY V.O.X. and Goong was her first acting venture into drama.  I think the fans were very accustomed to the manhwa profile of CK, so it was hard for them to imagine YEH as CK without seeing her playing the part.  But after a couple of episodes aired, they flipped for her completely.  

Now about JJH I agree.  Especially in the early parts, everything about him as Shin and an actor made me want to toss an egg in his smirking face. haha   So when CK gave him an unexpected bite on their wedding night,  I was like YESYES!!!  haha   Until then CK annoyed me with her feeble acting in front of him. That lunge showed her grit. gosh haha  The incident summarizes  what kind of relationship they were in at the time and they have to slog through a long and hard climb to reach happily ever after ending.  

9hbHziF.jpg

euL0bIo.jpg

aeVkv21.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Ep 9 and 10 were a little slow IMO, because the main couple were apart the majority of the episodes.  

ep 9

Why is Hyo rin so desparate?  Is it because she didn't think there would be any competition for Shin's affection?  My only other comment for ep 9 is--CY was going to call Shin from the bathroom?  Gross!

ep 10

CY irritated me when she was scolded by the Queen for disappearing.  What did she think would happen?  She's a princess; she can't run off whenever she wants.  Why can't Yul and his omma stay at the Palace?  Surely it must have enough rooms.  What's this?  Did the King once like Jung gong?  I found the pictures at the end of the episode, showing the difference in the family interesting.

HOpefully, this makes sense.  I had a couple sips of wine and I noticed that I misspelled some words lol :lol:

• LOL 3

5 hours ago, CarolynH said:

HOpefully, this makes sense.  I had a couple sips of wine and I noticed that I misspelled some words lol :lol:

I wish I had taken many sips of wine before I watched ep 9 & 10. :D 

I was fuming at the prince’s cold treatment of his wife

:kicks:

Chingu, I will post more elaborate thoughts later today regarding the episodes. 

@confusedheart you can finally let your feelings out on this thread too… :D 

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

Here are my thoughts on the latest episodes... :partyblob:

Ep 9 and 10 are my least favorite episodes of the drama. Why? Because they have a disturbing element in them, which in my opinion should not be a part of any healthy relationship. The silent treatment.

Shin leaves for Thailand and doesn't call her a single time. Despite her calling him over and over again. She's lonely, anxious, worried and sad. She stops eating because that's her way of trying to cope with her anxiety.

It's really cruel of him to treat her that way.
:kicks:

Communication is key in all relationships and by giving the other person the silent treatment, I would go as far to say that it is emotional abuse. He should have told her about his feelings instead of shutting her out completely like that.

Add on top of that the fact that he's canoodling with his ex in Thailand while his wife is for the first time ever having to represent her country as Crown Princess. It just makes Prince Shin's behavior even more appalling... :rage:

Too many things happened in this episode that I just want to forget. :D

- learning that the King is in love with another woman

- Shin not even picking up a souvenir to Chae Kyung himself

- Chae Kyung letting Shin off the hook too easily

Nah, these episodes I really wanted to skip. :D

@confusedheart @twinkle_little_star @booha looking forward to your comments chingus :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@CarolynH He is sending mixed signals. And that is because he is confused with his own emotions at the moment.

The biggest issue with these two guys in that they lack communication skills. If they would be truthful about their feelings towards each other, things would be immensely easier.

Then again, they are kids who were forced to get married….

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1