[Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Night Wanderer / The Night Traveler 夜旅人 -Starring Deng Lun and NiNi

madmad min

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

@realistic2280a emmm...I'm actually quite in shock(((. So what happens  next? Might it be there is still hope that they would mute him temporarily, like it seems to have happened with Fan BingBing? Or are the rules more strict now?

Yes, im surprised too... all the expectations, then suddenly bam...tax evasions... sigh... we will have to wait and see...  if his social media has been removed, sponsorship cancelled, then... we probably wouldnt see it in the next 5 years or so... worse, never... maybe the production house should just smuggle it out to Taiwan and have it aired there...:lol:.... nah not gonna happen...unless the company went bankrupt...

Im.still waiting for Jeong Suk and Zheng Shuang's drama... so maybe in 20 years... after all we have waited 5 years for it right:lol:

• Sad 1

I just saw the news. This is big big disaster. Fan Bing Bing hasn’t able to resume her activities re Cdramas in China since her tax evasion. I have a feeling Night Traveller will be unaired and it is going to be a long long hiatus for him. I am not sure if he or anyone can make a comeback. 

I don’t understand why they do this when they are so well off and doing very well. Sigh. I was really looking forward to this drama :( 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

we probably wouldnt see it in the next 5 years or so

:bawling: 

57 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

Oh dear, I thought he would be smarter than that, or at least his tax agent should have been smarter than that.

So, it was said that he was urged three times by the tax authorities to respond to irregularities with his tax filings but for whatever reason, he did not take  the appropriate action. Of course, this is a one-sided story...there may be more than meets the eye as to why he's being put into the bad-boy list.

I

58 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

For his sake, I hope he invested his money into businesses and other income generating means, I suspect we won't see him in dramas for sometime to come.  

I also wonder if he knew to the full extent/was actively involved into the whole sceme and understood the consequences of such actions. Because usually stars have a whole bunch of personnel to cover such aspects of daily life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

No one complains of ever having a lot of money right.

Well, they say "One can't get all the money in the world" for a reason(((

I thought after FBB case everyone would get their matters into order. If I remember correctly, at some point the authorities even encouraged people to come forward and clean things up voluntarily in exchange for a kind of "turning  a blind eye on  past discrepancies" approach. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leo2020 said:

I also wonder if he knew to the full extent/was actively involved into the whole sceme and understood the consequences of such actions. Because usually stars have a whole bunch of personnel to cover such aspects of daily life.

I'm assuming he in general knows and gave the authorisation, though not the full twists on how the tax evading scheme was executed by his staff or whoever (person or entity) that prepared those documents for filing. 

Quite disappointing that Deng Lun is in this mess, but if he's cooperating with the investigation, it might be that through him, authorities will have vital info for cracking down firms or individuals engaged in fraudulent tax filing. He's still in the good even if he paid huge penalty, that is still better than being sent to jail.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

And I hope the China netizens will (if at all) stop hurling stones and make this into another witch hunt; it's honestly so unhealthy, looking at what they did to ZZH.

Knock wood, Deng Lun can still make a come back within 2 years. His are tangible violations he was being penalised of. IMO, though it's embarrassing, his admission and apologies are also still way better than denials, only to be found out later.

ZZH's unfortunate issue, I believe, touched the nerve of many's patriotic streak. Although he, per se, didn't actually commit a crime, what he did and posted in the past offended enough to question where his loyalty lies.

Spoiler

His motherland suffered so much during WWII and people aren't over the resentment yet due to the other side's lack of admission and reparations. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

12 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Well, they say "One can't get all the money in the world" for a reason(((

Haha... true but still many people still does it, even though they cant bring the money together with them in their afterlife... many cultures do bury their dead with some of their worldly assets... and to be taken away by gold diggers centuries later... sigh

9 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@realistic2280a it depends where you are located. Touch wood, I am still able to get access to Blooms at Ruyi in Malaysia, and Legend of Yun Xi, those are probably associated with a far more serious incident than tax evasion. I think those blacklisted dramas are primarily removed from China, but the networks are smart enough to leave them alone in some countries where these matter not. Of course, I have not tried accesing from other countries, so I can only speak for Malaysia. And if you are resourceful enough, you can always locate them on other non-paying sites.

Yes, i hope there are leftovers in non-china sites... :lol:

In general, i agree that authorities should take it seriously when complaints are made, as celebrities earns a siginifcant amount of money, are public figures who younger population tends to emulate; and if they do something against  the law, they should be punished and  made example or else others will also flaunt the laws.... people do have short memories whenever it is about money

but while celebrities are clearly scrutinised, the law should be also fair, when complaints are made on other public officials, like ^cough cough, a certain tennis star^ it should also be scrutinised at the same level... but we know heaven is not earth where fairness is dependent on one's wealth and authority.:mellow:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@MayanEcho Well, let's hope that someone high up has got his back and that he will make a come back sooner rather than later. [I was looking forward to watching part 2 of Yin-Yang Master with Mark Chao, even prior to this, that has gone AWOL] And I hope the China netizens will (if at all) stop hurling stones and make this into another witch hunt; it's honestly so unhealthy, looking at what they did to ZZH.

I seriously doubt so. Doesnt FBB have more 'high ups' who got her back? But she is still banned in China. This DL is most probably a gone case.

Official government black listed and public/netizen cancellation are very different.

FBB was officially blacklisted by the govt. and hence she hasn’t been able to return in mainland entertainment. So it will depend if DL is also officially blacklisted. Earlier this year there was news that my favorite Vicki Zhao Wei was also blacklisted too but it was never confirmed what for by the govt. Probably related to her business dealings with her husband but it was never officially announced. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Thanks 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Night Wanderer / The Night Traveler 夜旅人 -Starring Deng Lun and NiNi
  • 3 weeks later...

Did they learn nothin' from Fan Bing Bing..!?

Er--with Deng Lun's tax evasion, will we even get to watch this at all LoL!? I mean I adore Ni Ni she doesn't deserve this. Now there's rumors Zhao Li Ying isn't payin' hers either. What's happening to the c-ent. industry!?

On 3/16/2022 at 11:15 PM, Prettysup said:

I seriously doubt so. Doesnt FBB have more 'high ups' who got her back? But she is still banned in China. This DL is most probably a gone case.

I agree. FBB apparently had tons of solid backers but none could do anything to help her.

It does look like DL may be out of the C-ENT scene for a long time, if not indefinitely. Tax evasion is a big problem as far as the authorities are concerned.

Lately, it seems there's another problem relating to fans' subscriptions? I have stopped reading about DL now. It's just too sad for this rising star, and I was not an avid fan of his, though I loved some of his dramas. And was particularly looking forward to The Night Wanderer.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:49 AM, Yinye said:

Earlier this year there was news that my favorite Vicki Zhao Wei was also blacklisted too but it was never confirmed what for by the govt. Probably related to her business dealings with her husband but it was never officially announced. 

I'm still wondering what had happened to her. A lot of what was reported are either propagander or fake news. I do think it has something to do with her business and her close relation with MY, who apparently has crumbled into an ant-like figure now.

Hope all that's untrue though. Only time will tell...:please:

Do not worry about Deng Lun.  He is a Multi-Milllionaire.  And he is smart enough to sell off his properties the moment his tax problems are announced.  Unlike ZS who could not sell hers because she waited too long.  Besides if DL cannot come back, he still has a lot of side-biz like his hotpot restaurants etc.

DL has been given a few Reminders by the Chinese Tax Dept.  So he can only blame himself.  

The Chinese Tax Dept is not so bad.  They do give you a chance by issuing a few reminders before they take actions.  On comparison the US Tax Dept is worse.  They will just turn up at your Office and Home - very scary.

Too bad.  I was looking forward to the "Night Traveller" too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@hush puppy Him selling off his properties to manage the Tax fine is a RUMOR ITEM , Please don't read spread unverified news if it isn't official. The world of cbiz is 98% rumors and 2% facts.

The Tax Norms underwent a change in 2019 after FBB incidents and yes whatever mishap happened was officially accepted by the Artist and his studio.

@Yinye Denglun has not been officially blacklisted , he is being punished as per the current rules and authorities there. The case is different for other artists , also for FBB she isn't officially blacklisted <she still has media presence> she has not been able to come back due to her General Public Image which went bad due to tax evasion which was 9 times huge than DL is. ZS on the other hand is officially blacklisted due to what you call Yin-Yang contract in short on paper she was to be paid X amount and in real she was paid 100 times more than that. For DL there is no case like either of the two.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:19 AM, MayanEcho said:

Knock wood, Deng Lun can still make a come back within 2 years. His are tangible violations he was being penalised of. IMO, though it's embarrassing, his admission and apologies are also still way better than denials, only to be found out later.

Thank You for the hopeful statement @MayanEcho. His works still continue to be on platforms in China , his names have been removed from shows but the shows havent been pulled off like for other artists.

Although I can't say this year but whosoever wants to wait for this show can still do. DL is not in the same category and the punishments are still in terms of penalization which is less severe than complete vipe out ban.