[Drama 2022] My Liberation Notes, 나의 해방일지

agenth

I LOVE reading everyone's takes on the drama, especially on the ending. 

My takes on ep 16:

-I love the dialogue between Gu and MJ. Beautifully written and superb acting. They really nailed it!:

• They really opened up to each other and started to have good communication between them.  
  • Gu realized that he started to feel the effects of his drinking habit. We now know why he drank so much. When he was sober, all people from his past came to his mind, he had to destroy them and cursed at them. Then he got exhausted and he felt the need to drink to make them go away. he hated people and cussed them. He said he was kinder/more generous when he drank. 
  •  Interesting question when MJ asked whether she was one of the people who came to his mind and he just smiled. I think Gu drank because he missed her a lot. So the answer is yes. 
  •  MJ could understand that because she went through the same thing with her ex-boyfriends. She then shared how she cursed at them and planned to show her ex-boyfriend who borrowed money from her, how a terrible person he was. But she said she was always exhausted. (By the way, it is a meaningful life lesson. When we hold grudges toward those who had wronged or hurt us, it will only exhaust us. Forgiveness or letting go is not for them, but for our own sake)
  •  Gu, "Among those people you wanted to prove they were terrible, was I one of them" (with His sad eyes and expression!) All this time Gu had thought that he was one of the jerks MJ dated. And he finally learned how she felt about him. He was like a sanctuary in her heart. She decided to keep him away from her hate. MJ let Gu know that she felt differently about than her other ex-boyfriends. Even though she felt constantly abandoned, she let him fly away if he became a better person and wouldn't be embarrassed even if he hit rock bottom, that she only cheered him on. When she started to hate him, she would speak blessings to him (instead of curses) (I had posted about this, and wished that Gu would know about how she felt towards him and my wish was granted!) And Gu said, he had never caught a cold and it is because of MJ. He later believes he won't catch a cold because MJ wished/prayed for him.

-MJ 'heaped burning coals into her ex-boyfriend's head'. The old MJ would take the advantage to get him accused of harassment, but instead, she explained that it was his bag that brushed her body. The ex-boyfriend apologized and promised to pay off what he owed. I'd say, it was another moment of liberation for her. He still needed to pay off what he owed, but she longer thought of making him a terrible person. When we let go of our grudges towards someone, we don't liberate them, we actually end up liberating ourselves.  

-I like the fact that Gu liked to wait for MJ at the train station. Love the expression when Gu said, "You are passionate" Gu was so touched when MJ said he was adorable. She suggested when people came to his mind in the morning, he should welcome them with that adorable laughter and we know he listened and did try to change. Then he had a big smile on his face, called her name and gave her a back hug. (in other dramas, they would have given us kissing scenes)

I agree with you, it is a happy open-ending drama:

-Open ending, because it is not shown that MJ met Gu in the end. We only know that she happily waited and smiled at someone. Gu walked with a money-loaded bag and we don't know where he was heading. To start a new life? To Chairman Shin? CH had not yet met Gu. We don't know for sure whether Gu quit his job or not. (I think so because I think the place he resided was provided by the company and he mentioned that he might be homeless because he had to leave it)

-Happy ending: because each character has been liberated in some and different ways. Gu decided to leave his drinking habit and start his day with positivity. We see that MJ smiled brightly as we hear the voice-over of MJ and Gu conversing. 

• MJ turned her body around like Gu did when he saw MJ walking to meet him. (another parallel)
  • They wore matching outfits, by the way.  
  • No grand gestures. They want to live their lives by trudging on, step-by-step together. 
  • I have been waiting for MJ to confess her feelings to Gu, and she said at the ending that she felt so loveable (it was because of Gu) and there's nothing but love in her heart, so she couldn't feel anything but love. I think it's an indirect confession.  

By the way, I just learned that they called the place which had "something good will happen to you today" the liberation church.  

I have learned a lot from the drama. If I have to pick just two things:

I'd say, that the drama had me redefined my worship. I agree with MJ, worshiping is deeper/more than loving. In my act of worship, do I serve? How do I worship?

It teaches me about my own liberation. What do I want to be liberated from and what do I have to do to be liberated?

MLN is one masterpiece with superb acting, lines, life lessons, and beautiful scenes. I hope MLN would get many awards they deserve this year: best writer, best producer, best male, best female lead, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, best OST, and even the best picture/ baeksang)

It has come to the end, Chingu-deul! I have learned a great deal of smart and great insights/observations from reading your posts in this thread. (And It is one of the most peaceful drama soompi forums I've been in) Thank you for making this ride even more meaningful and enjoyable! 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Here is the ratings for the last episode *Ep 16* :).

JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes” went out on a high note!

On May 29, the series finale of “My Liberation Notes” achieved the highest viewership ratings of its entire run. According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of the drama scored an average nationwide rating of 6.7 percent, marking a new personal record for the hit show.

“My Liberation Notes” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet + “Our Blues” Hits New All-Time High | Soompi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Chang-hee and Hyeon-ah:

Why did they break up? Hyeon-ah is a pretty damaged person who always dates problematic guys. She's always involved in a lot of drama in her relationships. And Chang-hee tells her, when he breaks up with her, that he intends to live a normal life running a convenience store, etc. I.e., he will not be one of those high-drama guys who she has screaming, throwing-stuff fights with. So that's why their relationship ended.

But after their breakup, he still rides his bike thinking about her, and suddenly stops, weeping violently because he misses her. And they still see each other, they still meet. They still know everything about each other, and I guess that's how it's going to be between them forever.

Gi-jeong and Tae-hun:

People don't change. He's the same person who wants to be liberated from feeling weak. And he was so afraid to admit that he writes that in his liberation diary, then crosses it out. He likes Gi-jeong because she lets him be himself and lets him relax, to not try so hard. He can tell her that when he sees babies and toddlers, he is sad thinking about how their hearts will be broken when they are 30 years old. And she understands him.

His daughter and his sister Gyeong-seon are not going to magically become nicer towards Gi-jeong. But she is a part of their lives. When she skips church, they bicker about it with each other, and Gyeong-seon instinctively stops at a street stand that sells egg bread, because Gi-jeong once said she liked it, until they remind her that she is not with them.

Their unkind word hurts Gi-jeong. He buys her a broken rose. But she will soak that broken rose in a small dish because she is the one who catches the severed head, the one who sacrifices. She helpfully tells him he buttoned his coat wrong, and he is grateful he told her, has a goofy grin on his face, and then buttons his coat wrong again.

She is living the life that she chose with the man that she chose. And I guess that's enough for her.

Mi-jeong and Gu:

She wanted to humiliate Chan-hyeok so she could let him know what a loser he is. Instead, she showed him grace, thereby achieving the same thing. Her generous act towards him helped him realize that he is the bad guy, and he promised to atone for it. She achieved liberation from him by showing grace.

So she advises Gu to smile widely towards the people that make him angry every morning when they come into his thoughts. Smile, forgive them, and show them grace.

I think that's why Ja-gyeong was able to forgive Hyeon-jin, who betrayed him in the worst way. He made up for that loss to Chairman Shin with the cash stash in his drawers. And I *believe* that he is done. My clue is when he confronted Hyeon-jin at the gambling den - he said, "I was living happily in the country, and you dragged me back here to pay for your gambling." So he really was happy in Sanpo. So that's why I think that's where he's going back. Not literally, but figuratively - with the final money bag handoff, he is done with this life.

And he should be furious with Hyeon-jin and chase him. But he forgave him, and let it go.

I'd like to think that that earlier flash-forward scene in which he walks out of the club with the screen blasting "Happy New Year 2022" is his final walk out of the club, after reimbursing Chairman Shin the money that Hyeon-jin stole.

The 500 won that he dropped, but ended up being balanced on the grill without falling in had a flying goose on it. That was the symbol of liberation. It could have fallen into the gutter, but by grace and luck, it was saved.

I think that's the sign that he moves forward and faces his demons without drinking. He gave his liquor bottle to a homeless person on the street. I think he's done. And he's figuratively walking towards Mi-jeong, backlit like an angel once again, telling him that she is full of nothing but love.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I'd like to think that that earlier flash-forward scene in which he walks out of the club with the screen blasting "Happy New Year 2022" is his final walk out of the club, after reimbursing Chairman Shin the money that Hyeon-jin stole.

We also never saw that scene where she looks back at the ambulance in Seoul or when they’re both running near a lake in a pinkish sky with birds.

• Like 3

From my perspective, the only character that has truly achieved liberation is Chang Hee. Despite all the difficulties that he faced in life, he is mentally strong to put aside his own suffering and to serve others around him. He doesn't dwell much on the past or on regrets. He moves forward no matter how difficult life is. He is very forgiving and doesn't hold grudges. He is reflective, contemplative and finds opportunity to learn from every phase of his life. 

I didn't like him at all at the beginning. He was very bitter and materialistic. But strangely and unexpectedly, we witnessed his growth and his gradual change in his views towards life and its purpose. I think his character represents some of us who are too busy earning a living in big cities. Deep down, our nature is calling and yearning for a different life. How many of us have the courage to make life choices like Chang Hee? He sacrificed his promising sweet potato oven business just to be next to a dying friend. Just to give this friend the comfort to leave in peace. That was such a powerful scene. (By the way, I read some comments here that he is paying the loan for his father or for his convenience store. It was actually for his failed sweet potato oven business.)

The ending scene for Chang Hee was very beautiful. How his heart unknowingly led him to situations that enable him to discover and serve the purpose of his life. When you finally discover the purpose of your life, you are liberated! Chang Hee is liberated whether or not he finds a partner in life. 

GJ is not liberated at all. She's still a slave to finding love and to be accepted. MJ is only liberated when Gu stays with her. Gu is slowly trying to liberate himself but in reality, such a person is hard to find liberation. Someone who is not mature enough to handle emotions, prefers to drown himself in alcohol. I don't see long term happiness and liberation if both of them stay together. MJ is way stronger than Gu. Despite her own struggle with the external world, she fulfills her responsibilities and duties as a daughter and in her work diligently. 

I also think that the siblings' father decided to remarry not because he needed someone to take care of him but he wanted to free his children from the responsibility of taking care of him. This was the only way that they could leave Sanpo to pursue their dreams and career without the guilt of leaving their father behind. He is not a person who will visit dermatologist to make him look good for a woman (this was told by CH to his friends). 

I love this drama and watching Chang Hee's growth gave me great satisfaction. If this is in real life, I sincerely wish Chang Hee all the happiness and love in life ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, deandraluv said:

We see that MJ smiled brightly as we hear the voice-over the MJ and Gu conversing. 

When I read what you wrote, it hit me that My Mister ends on a voiceover as well! :wub:

14 hours ago, americanchai said:

I feel like either I'm misunderstanding what happened at the club or y'all are. That was one of the clubs that Gu oversees and the manager had been using the money for his gambling debts. Those guys that were at the club were the loan sharks that he had borrowed for gambling. They closed that club that day so they could kick some gangster booty but the whole organization isn't shut down. Gu got the money back and Sam Sik was still alive when he left, just a bit banged up.

This is how I understood things, too, that Hyeon Jin managed an offshoot club. He wasn't at the main club. The Chairman was suspicious that Hyeon had been pocketing money, and wanted to shut him down. Gu found him and said that if the daily revenue dipped below 80 million won on any given day, then Hyeon would be out.

Glad folks think Sam Sik wasn't dead, just banged up. He looked like he was fading to me :( .

9 hours ago, deandraluv said:

MJ 'heaped burning coals into her ex-boyfriend's head'. The old MJ would take the advantage to get him accused of harassment, but instead, she explained that it was his bag that brushed her body. The ex-boyfriend apologized and promised to pay off what he owed. I'd say, it was another moment of liberation for her.

7 hours ago, chickfactor said:

She wanted to humiliate Chan-hyeok so she could let him know what a loser he is. Instead, she showed him grace, thereby achieving the same thing. Her generous act towards him helped him realize that he is the bad guy, and he promised to atone for it. She achieved liberation from him by showing grace.

Beautiful insights, guys! Grace is getting what we don't deserve, and the way MJ extended grace to the ex blessed him and kept him out of trouble. In turn, he "humbled himself" and committed to paying her back. And I liked that they realized that they might keep seeing each other, and it was OK. Definitely a healing moment for both of them. (I'm sure he didn't enjoy getting chased by MJ regarding that money, either, and he was probably relieved that they could pass each other in the street in the future without so much tension.)

7 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Yes! The show kept making a big deal that it was going to be New Year soon (the flash-forward, the banner in Ep 16 that showed a cafe was about to open on New Year's, etc), and this happening for Gu would be very cool.

3 hours ago, Codomo said:

I also think that the siblings' father decided to remarry not because he needed someone to take care of him but he wanted to free his children from the responsibility of taking care of him. This was the only way that they could leave Sanpo to pursue their dreams and career without the guilt of leaving their father behind. He is not a person who will visit dermatologist to make him look good for a woman (this was told by CH to his friends). 

It surprised me in Ep 16 that Chang Hee was so involved in helping his dad get re-married. I hadn't been sure how the kids would have taken to their dad's re-marriage, but it sounds like CH actively encouraged it.

(By the way, I read some comments here that he is paying the loan for his father or for his convenience store. It was actually for his failed sweet potato oven business.)

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

I don't see long term happiness and liberation if both of them stay together. MJ is way stronger than Gu. Despite her own struggle with the external world, she fulfills her responsibilities and duties as a daughter and in her work diligently. 

I hear what you're saying, but I think it could work if Gu has decided to step out of the club business, and finally seek help for his alcoholism. She's stronger than him, but sometimes we need stronger people in our weakest moments, who can help lift us up. Then when we're stronger, we can be more equal. And Gu is strong in ways MJ is not, in that he's willing to confront bad behavior, speak up, and protect people (like going after the miser in Sanpo). She could learn some of that from him.

And if Gu can find some purposeful work to do, we've seen he's a hard worker. Maybe he can go back to the cabinet business somewhere.

In fact, it's nice to imagine him and Yeom appa meeting up regularly. I think Yeom appa would enjoy that, and Gu, too.

However, if Gu stays an alcoholic, or gets back into shady stuff, I would agree with you, they probably wouldn't find long-term happiness. For now I want to give them a chance! :).

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

I watched the last episode today. I am really happy to have watched this drama, def. one of the best this year so far for me personally. Thanks for this wonderful thread and everyone sharing your thoughts and the discussions these past weeks! 

GJ and TH - I am happy they are still trying and in a way, they suit each other despite their imperfect situation. Love will still find a way if both are committed to making it work. Both characters didn’t really grow or developed but the lesson here is more accepting people as they are and be committed to making it work. 

I agree with everyone that CH’s growth was so satisfying; I am so proud of him! He went from a lost, materialistic, silly guy to a really responsible, deeply empathetic, and a great guy with a purpose. I am glad he found his calling and that he feels he is doing something very meaningful. He is def liberated. The scene with Papa Y telling them they are stronger than him made me cried. 

Re Gu and MJ. Their liberation’s paths were always entwined so of course, their final liberation could only come about because of each other. I also felt like there were many tiny hints re the open ending.

The coin rolling to the drain but not falling in scene was brilliant. I really liked it as it was finally the trigger that Gu needed. Just like MJ’s trigger was meeting Gu. They both forgave the people that did them wrong and were each other’s strength to become better people. I also believe that Gu left his shady business and finally gave up drinking and that his walking is towards MJ, who has already told him many times that she only loves him despite everything. 

I am just happy everyone is happier at the end. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Beautiful beautiful insights. Another reason I've loved this drama and why I will rewatch it, to catch the things I missed but you all illuminated so well.

Gu had the grace to forgive his hyung because in his heart he knows that hyung will probably die at the hands of the next loan sharks he screws over. Gambling is almost a worse addiction than alcohol and Gu knows the grips that take hold of you and how difficult it is to beat (if you try, at least). I think he realizes that his hyung was driven to do what he did because of the gambling and he has been running away from things because of his drinking. As MJ said, time to face those things and laugh at them, with them. Work on five minutes a day of happiness - this is such an incredible insight and something I will definitely carry with me.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Codomo said:

He sacrificed his promising sweet potato oven business just to be next to a dying friend. Just to give this friend the comfort to leave in peace. That was such a powerful scene. (By the way, I read some comments here that he is paying the loan for his father or for his convenience store. It was actually for his failed sweet potato oven business.)

4 hours ago, Codomo said:

Thanks for the correction.  I went back and watched the episode again.  What CH said was that he has to suck up and pay off the 2.8mil won debt in fear his step mom will regret the marriage due to his money woe.  He then assures his friends that stepmom must feel at ease knowing that at least his father owns the land.  CH's view of money somewhat has changed.  Money still represents security but he realizes that he must not be its slave.  Change his spending habits, save more, pay off debts... instead of running the race at work, trying to make more money to buy things.  CH's perspective has changed.  I read somewhere that there are many Christian symbolisms attached to Mr. Gu, I also see hints of Buddhism teachings in CH's journey in finding his own nirvana.

I LOL when CH admits to himself that the adult thing to do is to know when to hold your words.  This is a guy who overshares his bowel habits, speaks his thoughts unfiltered at times.  

I agree that it was the father who wants to marry again to free his children.  He realizes his wife's tireless devotion to the family, to him especially, was a sacrifice that should not be imposed onto his kids.  He prolly doesn't want CH to be serving and having dinner with him nightly as well. So he remarries quickly to liberate them.  It's his reply to CH's beach confession of "I love you".  I feel sad for the stepmom.  The man still sits in a different room watching TV while she sits in the dark admiring the falling snow.  GJ teared up at the scene, seeing a little of her future self with TH in them.  I also have to mention that I really like the stepmom's acknowledgment of CH's effort. Her simple praise of "you have done well"  The warm way which it was delivered, CH's typical quiet grace.  Both of them accepting the concern that was never verbalized but understood.  A contrast to how the Yeom parents usually discuss their children's mistakes at the dinner table.

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Chang-hee and Hyeon-ah:

Why did they break up? Hyeon-ah is a pretty damaged person who always dates problematic guys. She's always involved in a lot of drama in her relationships. And Chang-hee tells her, when he breaks up with her, that he intends to live a normal life running a convenience store, etc. I.e., he will not be one of those high-drama guys who she has screaming, throwing-stuff fights with. So that's why their relationship ended.

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

His daughter and his sister Gyeong-seon are not going to magically become nicer towards Gi-jeong. But she is a part of their lives. When she skips church, they bicker about it with each other, and Gyeong-seon instinctively stops at a street stand that sells egg bread, because Gi-jeong once said she liked it, until they remind her that she is not with them.

Their unkind word hurts Gi-jeong. He buys her a broken rose. But she will soak that broken rose in a small dish because she is the one who catches the severed head, the one who sacrifices. She helpfully tells him he buttoned his coat wrong, and he is grateful he told her, has a goofy grin on his face, and then buttons his coat wrong again.

She is living the life that she chose with the man that she chose. And I guess that's enough for her.

Mi-jeong and Gu:

... And he should be furious with Hyeon-jin and chase him. But he forgave him, and let it go.

HA needs excitement in her life.  She who must fill her days with busyness doesn't seem to fit the kind of guy who likes to contemplate at mountain top.  CH is content with leading a mundane quiet life diligently.  Not the kind of man who would be high spending the night club life with her.  CH is somewhat non confrontational in nature which contrasts with HA's fiery personality.  There are many personality differences between them, honestly less jarring for me than the fact that they don't actually love each other.  At least not the passionate kind of love or life that HA is attracted to.  CH's proposing to HA is like a pact between 2 friends who settle for each other if neither find the right partner when they are older.  

GJ is both sad and courageous at the same time.  Some people may say she needs self love, to give herself more respect in a relationship.  I thought GJ's point about defining her emotions was so true.  The feelings she has for TH is a mix of everything. Love is not the only reason why she is unable to leave.  She loves the part of him that is upright and decent even though his familial obligations and weakness hurt her.  I feel sorry that she has settled to lighten his load, to be his supporter instead of depending on him to support her.  But I also understand that she is a strong person who accepts the challenge and believes she can fight for both of them.  That in itself is admirable.   In a way, she is her mother's daughter. I hope she will not sacrifice her life the same way.  How tired it is to have to vigilantly protect and nurture your broken flower bud all the time.

LOL, thanks for mentioning the word chase.  You reminded me of the foot chase between Gu and CH.  I love that scene, so funny!!! The old Gu chased over the damages done to his car but not this new and improved Gu against the man who knocked him off with a coffee pot.  Maybe someday, Mr Gu will meet CH again.  Both show they still have each other in mind as Gu asked Mj about her brother that night. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I LOL when CH admits to himself that the adult thing to do is to know when to hold your words.  This is a guy who overshares his bowel habits, speaks his thoughts unfiltered at times. 

Ikr!!! I was so proud of him for holding back. I think he may have also realised that his take on life is now very different from his friends'. It was quite obvious when he was sharing his deep thoughts on the movie, Return to Paradise. His friend was obviously not getting what he was saying and all he could comment at the end of CH's sharing was that it was an R rated movie. I think CH knew that he was only talking to himself. 

50 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

He prolly doesn't want CH to be serving and having dinner with him nightly as well. So he remarries quickly to liberate them.  It's his reply to CH's beach confession of "I love you".

I had exactly the same thoughts too! That the father doesn't want CH to be stuck with him and that was how he showed his love in return to CH's beach confession. 

53 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I also have to mention that I really like the stepmom's acknowledgment of CH's effort. Her simple praise of "you have done well" 

I agree.

I am so happy to be able to discuss this drama with like minded ppl. None of my friends are interested to watch. This drama is too slow and too boring for them. This kind of dramas are so hard to come by, probably only once in a few years. I enjoy dramas that are closer to reality and touches on hardships in life (with strong male and female characters). Other similar ones are like My Mister, Dear My Friends, Misaeng and Live. I am currently enjoying Our Blues too. Pls recommend if you know any dramas of similar genre. 

I wish all of us here find our own liberation in life....

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2022] My Liberation Notes, 나의 해방일지

I love reading all of the insights from you guys :wub:

I totally agree about CH, his character development might be the best among 4 main leads. And if you think more about it, CH literally have interaction/bond with almost everyone, even MJ as the lead didnt get many. CH act like the eldest of family, he has the strongest bond with the parents (compared to MJ and KJ), he is the nicest sibling, he tried to be close and helping Gu when everyone seems didnt want to involved with him. CH is also a nice friend. 

I would say that in eps 16 he has the best presence, I cant believe how much character has grown since eps 1, he used to be so talkactive, materialistic and complainer. Lee min ki also killed it with CH role, In interview he said he is actually really quiet and don't talk too much so Gu character is more him than CH, but he nailed with talkactive and annoying CH

• Like 3
  • Love 3

YES! Totally loving all the insights and observations from like-minded 'worshippers' of this beautiful Drama here. I loved reading all the ep 16 comments. (Some folks found the journey slow, dark, even depressing heavy - the first 2 episodes deterred them already)

Will miss these, as much as this wonderful gem every weekend. It showed us that less is more, that minimalism-quiet expressive, allusions without so many words (and one kiss!) ... had so much more meaningful depth in a Drama  :heart::heartbreak:

More random thoughts ...

Giraffes:

Before he entered the elevator to the little girl (and chalked up his first 7 sec of  blessings for the day) – there was a pair of Giraffes - shorter, and taller.

So maybe I am reading too much significance – but Giraffes signify reaching upwards. Into the future. I looked them up ... and whoa, there's a whole lot of different interesting interpretations of Giraffes (from biblical Noah's Ark to dreams etc)

".. given their gentle nature and long-necked height they are an ideal representation for a perfect spirit guide or power animal. The giraffe’s long neck allows it to reach heights above others. It has a lot to offer us as an inspiration when it comes to understanding our nature and how to relate to others. Giraffes have no trouble at all when it comes to feeling empathy for others, leading you to non-violence, to sincere feelings, to thought-through decisions.

The symbolism associated with this animal is centered around the themes of peace, the heart, the ability to put life into perspective, and even the development of intuition. "

"The giraffe may look unassuming at first, but it is a powerful spirit animal that can help you on your journey to achieve your full potential"

"The Giraffe dream can mean awakening. It means that you are about to have a spiritual awakening. "

I am not religious per se, but as this Drama references church/religious symbols a lot ... so I looked up the Giraffe after spotting them as Gu enters the elevator with his bag of $.

And from Noah Ark's to African symbolism -  there's a huge plethora of stuff on the Giraffe, which totally fits Gu and MJ's growth, progression and hopefully a future together, beyond many other connotations Giraffes signify (too many to mention - even one about the Goat and Giraffe).

Coin – very positive to me when I saw it (how odd unlikely is it for a coin to fall and balance when all the slots of the grate was waiting for it to fall into the dark abyss of the gutter), and no doubt highly significant to Gu Ja-jeong.

It did NOT sink into the depths of the gutter, but just sat there - a balance of Choices in life, no matter what it doles out, to make too.  

THANKS to all the observant among you here - I did NOT really clue in that it was heads side up nor a bird in flight (freedom!) – but YAY! HURRAY!!!

I now think it is towards the path of light that is his angel of strength - MJ, and positivity ... and at least liberation from his drinking addiction.

CH

Yes the most fully liberated one with the most growth and understanding of self, through his own go with the flow learning - is CH. From the complaining loudmouth - the power in his own knowledge of the higher road he had taken ... to do what's right and yet be silent private about it ... is Maturity. Despite even folks thinking he had failed or couldn't make the test.  He knows himself, and that is all that matters - this, is Security and Maturity-Wisdom.

Inner self-knowledge of capability, and self-awareness.  Which unlike superficial Assets, connections to known famous people etc - no one can take away.Very different from the earlier CH grovelling in front of and later flaunting all over, a Rolls which was not his.

There've been judgemental folks throughout this drama  journey - materialism, societal norms and superficial trophies as to what are 'winners' ...  from the biatchy girls at office judging bikinis and one pieces, to what the Liberation Club members experience and talk about ... and the real growth and winner within -  yes CH takes the trophy! be it career or relationships, or mature responsibility helming, after mom passes on.   He takes on the role of being the glue - be it the beach outing, or reminder to gather the family in Sanpo for Dad's bday.

And yes the debt was not for the land. Dad was stuck, and also scarred - bec of the Aunt who still no one trusted to not harbour any more agendas - hence GJ wanting to bury the family seal after mom's death.  And even if the land was still held as collateral for Aunt's debt - Sanpo sinks had been sold off and should prob have covered it.

(Lee Min-ki actually wanted the more introverted Gu role yes which ironically went to the more extroverted active Son Suh-ku)

I see co-dependency, in part between Gu and MJ(in a different way from that of GJ and TH. GJ who stands by her man/any man =  whether with his beheaded head ... or broken rose on a soy-dish. 

Impressive also Yeom-pa understands and sees so much - that he noticed GJ's cut hair and intuitively with his few words ...clued in to the unrest in her life. As he does with Gu, his henchman Hyeon-jin who visited, and again with Gu's second visit.

Gu wholly believes in all MJ's philosophies. The huge buy-in is always there - full on Worshipping! His goddess-angel-savior from the start stepping wrongly out of the train to land in Sanpo ...  doesn't/never irritates him. He listens, he opens up, he communicates, he laughs ... and he eats and stops drinking - with her, and her only.

While MJ is no doubt stronger, I see them dependable on each other - though MJ functions quite well without Gu (but she is not as whole inside as she is with Gu, and lighted up).  They're both self-aware stoic, but cope differently. MJ is more emotionally-resilient at coping despite hurtful challenges - trained in part with her non flinching with frog confetti.

========================

Just did a 5-10 mins rewatch of the club-elevator scene. This - was my reasoning for open-ended misgivings despite all the Happy signs.

I am less inclined to think that Chairman Shin liked Gu enough to care about his well being to dish out advice for therapy - sure, they were on highly trusted basis with each other.  Gu has always delivered but I don't think Shin really cared beyond anything, besides Gu being a CONVENIENT highly trusted and highly functional useful 'servant'

Gu was also quite ruthless when meting out consequences for bad debts, and yet never over-stepped his boundaries as a 'servant' (ie he's not ambitious-arrogant like the late Baek)- his deference, subservient attitude to Chairman Shin in the car, after his absence in Sanpo.

Gu's replacement I can see in stoic but honest Kim Woo-bin aka Chun-ja. :)

But whether Chun-ja has survived that club brawl is debatable as well ... and Chun-ja seems to lack overall leadership qualities as well.

My take on why Chairman Shin took the time to ask about his drinking issues; well as in part it was a mutual convenience - he just didn't want Gu 'down' and ineffectual.

Also it's not just a club per se - but a chain of clubs Gu was in charge of as Head Honcho, and in charge of Collections.

We will never know if Gu was Gu Ja-jeong the athlete that the old-CH was so impressed with ... but we do know he dropped out of high school (ep 16)

1) in part Gu had erred. Shin had already told him in private to close down the club that Hyeon-jin helmed ie My Queen Club (the signage was in front)

2) But Gu, being the soft-sensitive soul he really was inside ... instead took to delivering the ultimatum that Hyeon-jin had to maintain a minimum of $80 million won each night, rather than shut down his club.  Gu let the club continue under Hyeon-jin - to the point it escalated when the loan sharks came for their $50 million won,  with $1 million more to be paid later (and whatever else $ the ingrate HJ escaped with)

3) Yes the $ Gu took from his own apartment at home could mean i) he repaid the $ and difference for HJ bec the Chairman was all about $$$$$$$   ii) Gu was a free man to leave, with his own money too  (I really HOPE, its the latter)

Child:

That 3-4 yr old toddler who held open the elevator door for him (his 7sec of highlights-counting his blessings daily chalk up).  Why a child? 

With the insertion of the prior  scene .... I see that might be a connected dual purpose in having a child in this scene. Growth,  Progression .... from the (new beginnings) of Baby.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Watch: Kim Ji Won, Lee Min Ki, Son Suk Ku, Lee El, And More Share Messages To Their “My Liberation Notes” Characters

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

May 30, 2022
by S. Cho

JTBC has unveiled a final interview with the cast of “My Liberation Notes”!

“My Liberation Notes” is about three siblings who want to escape their stifling lives and the events that unfold when a mysterious outsider comes to their town. Kim Ji WonLee Min Ki, and Lee El star as the three frustrated siblings Yeom Mi Jung, Yeom Chang Hee, and Yeom Ki Jung, while Son Suk Ku plays Mr. Gu, the alcoholic outsider that unexpectedly changes their lives.

On May 29, “My Liberation Notes” aired its series finale and achieved the highest viewership ratings of its entire run, recording an average of 6.7 percent.

In a farewell interview from their final day of filming, Lee Min Ki, Kim Ji Won, Lee El, Son Suk Gu, and more say goodbye to the drama and share their closing comments.

Lee Min Ki comments, “Today, I did my final filming as Yeom Chang Hee of ‘My Liberation Notes.’ This was such a meaningful period of time and I had fun.” He then shares a message to his character, saying, “I want to tell him, ‘First off, I really liked you, and I hated you as much as I really liked you. Now, let’s finish that love/hate relationship. Live well.'”

After, Lee Min Ki sends a message to viewers. He says, “Thank you for watching ‘My Liberation Notes’ all this time. I’m not sure whether it was a good time for viewers. Please be happy and healthy!”

To her character Yeom Mi Jung, Kim Ji Won brightly shares, “While filming, there were a lot of times where I could relate to the character of Yeom Mi Jung, and there were also times when I felt like I wanted to be a source of strength for her. In order to be liberated and survive the cold winter by any means, Mi Jung puts in quite a lot of work. [I want to tell her,] ‘You’ve worked really hard,’ and I hope that a warm spring finds Mi Jung again soon. It feels like spring is near so my heart feels really light too. Mi Jung, you’ve worked so hard.”

Kim Ji Won leaves a message for Yeom Mi Jung’s friends and family in Sanpo then shares of Mr. Gu, “To be honest, just looking at the script, I was really nervous and I had a lot of concerns. But at the first filming, [Son Suk Ku] appeared just like that in front of me as Mr. Gu, so I think I was able to focus better. I’m so thankful. I want to tell [Mr. Gu], ‘Thank you so much for surviving the winter with Mi Jung.'”

Finally, to viewers, Kim Ji Won comments, “Instead of having continuous development, our drama takes one part of the characters’ lives and we filmed with the mindset of showing that to viewers. If viewers were able to relate or feel comfort from within the characters’ lives, I think I would be very thankful and happy. I hope you are always happy and healthy! Everyone, be free! Thank you!”

Son Suk Gu says to his character Mr. Gu (Gu Ja Kyung), “I think it ended on a bit of a hopeful note. I hope he drinks less, and although that isn’t fixed just because people around you mention it, he’s established an opportunity through the person of Mi Jung, so I hope he continues through with that well. To both Mr. Gu and myself, I want to say, ‘You’ve worked hard, I feel proud, and well done.'”

Regarding Kim Ji Won and her character, Son Suk Gu shares with a laugh, “I think both Ji Won and I are quite shy about a lot of things so [we have] difficult personalities to film a romance [drama]. However, Ji Won looked upon me first and smiled first, so I think we were able to do well without being shy.”

To their viewers, Son Suk Gu comments, “I think our drama speaks the truth. I think it only speaks the truth. I hope that comfortable feeling permeates through. Thank you for watching!”

Lee El shares, “Ki Jung! Oh wait, she’s a year older than me. Ki Jung unnie! Since the character grumbles a lot, is blunt, gets angry often, and complains a lot, I think I focused too much on those aspects. I should’ve created her as a more lovable and charming Ki Jung, but I think I missed out on a lot of that so I felt really sorry towards Ki Jung unnie yesterday. You’ve worked hard for the past six months.”

To Yeom Ki Jung and Yeom Chang Hee, Lee El comments, “I feel the same way towards my siblings. I felt really sorry that I didn’t treat them kindly. But all throughout filming, as both Ji Won and Min Ki are such kind people I’m comfortable with, I was able to happily get angry, yell, and fight as much as I wanted. Because they accepted that so well, I want to say thank you.”

The clip also features farewell comments from Kim Rosa, Jung Soo Young, Kang Joo Ha, Lee Ki Woo, Jeon Hye Jin, Lee Kyung Sung, Park Soo Young, Lee Ji Hye, Han Sang Jo, and Jo Min Gook.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1528704wpp/watch-kim-ji-won-lee-min-ki-son-suk-ku-lee-el-and-more-share-messages-to-their-my-liberation-notes-characters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Yes! The show kept making a big deal that it was going to be New Year soon (the flash-forward, the banner in Ep 16 that showed a cafe was about to open on New Year's, etc), and this happening for Gu would be very cool.

I hear what you're saying, but I think it could work if Gu has decided to step out of the club business, and finally seek help for his alcoholism. She's stronger than him, but sometimes we need stronger people in our weakest moments, who can help lift us up. Then when we're stronger, we can be more equal. And Gu is strong in ways MJ is not, in that he's willing to confront bad behavior, speak up, and protect people (like going after the miser in Sanpo). She could learn some of that from him.

Ahhh, there is also that New Year eve club scene.  With the non linear way the drama progresses, I'm trying to figure if it happened before or after episode 16.  If it was to mark the time Gu quits the business, he would have walked away without getting into the car.  His outfit, coat and all, feel more constraint than the casual jacket he has on the last scene.  Obviously it would be cool if it marked a new beginning for Gu.

MJ and Gu's relationship seems complimentary for me as well.  In My Mister, Dong Hun was the person whom Ji-An leaned on initially; but as we learned later, they both saved each other.  I think the same theme was repeated in this drama.  MLN makes me think of what I want from my own relationship - non judgmental, supportive partner who steers me to make the right choices and be a better person.  At this moment, Gu is lacking in many ways compared to MJ.  Yet, she understands beyond the present cuz the hilltop scene could have been her vision.   The scene where both sprinting freely to witness the flight of the birds.  In that moment, Gu extends his arm to protect MJ so I believe he can be strong for her once he conquered his demons.

I wonder if Papa Yeom would want the kids to live in Sanpo.  He would for sure welcome their visits, especially with grand kids. 

6 hours ago, Codomo said:

I enjoy dramas that are closer to reality and touches on hardships in life (with strong male and female characters). Other similar ones are like My Mister, Dear My Friends, Misaeng and Live. I am currently enjoying Our Blues too. Pls recommend if you know any dramas of similar genre. 

So this liberation idea, I honestly think it becomes easier with age and wisdom. I identify with the idea of changes can be small steps at a time, it's an ongoing personal challenge.  The more you shed, the easier it is to do the next one as you have lightened your load.  It's also ok to regress, reassess life once in while, start a new journal and reboot the Liberation Club.

If you have time, you may enjoy?

Spoiler

Move to Heaven, My Unfamiliar Family, The Light in Your Eyes (from the same PD as Liberation Notes), Reply 1988 (the Reply series), Because It is My First Life

Other honorable mentions:  Navillera, When the Camellia Blooms, Mother, Hospital Playlist season 1

If you want to try other genre or period piece... I like Mr Sunshine, Kingdom series, Stranger season 1 (Forest of Secrets), Hospital Playlist season 1, Prison Playbook, Youth of May, Mother

2 hours ago, Skysky said:

Lee min ki also killed it with CH role, In interview he said he is actually really quiet and don't talk too much so Gu character is more him than CH, but he nailed with talkactive and annoying CH

I so agree with you here :)  I feel CH is his most memorable role so far.  He has quite a range, I thought he excels in offbeat, slice of life.. much more impressive in serious dramatic roles.  His role in Because it's My First Life was unparallel.  I also read that Son Suk Ku and Lee Ki Woo expressed interests in playing CH.  However Park Hae Young casted LMK for the role. He was stellar, perfect casting.

@jus-ashyour post, thank you! love it.  Thanks for the giraffe infos.  CH is the best boy, your assessment of him is great!  Especially the part in knowing what matters as you mature.  The validation and acceptance is first toward yourself.  You are right, Gu's relationship toward the boss is not authentic nor is it balanced in power.  The symbiotic relationship is pretty toxic.  It's a blessing in a way, Gu was quite jaded with people through his business yet he can still notice the light within MJ even while she was struggling.  

I want to thank you for letting me air my thoughts.  I have not posted for a while in soompi.  MLN triggers a bunch of emotions that I have to share with you all.  Great lessons learned here.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

On 5/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, bedifferent said:

I feel CH is his most memorable role so far.  He has quite a range, I thought he excels in offbeat, slice of life.. much more impressive in serious dramatic roles.  His role in Because it's My First Life was unparallel.  I also read that Son Suk Ku and Lee Ki Woo expressed interests in playing CH.  However Park Hae Young casted LMK for the role. He was stellar, perfect casting.

Wow, I am just imagining those other two actors in the role of Chang-hee. LOL.

I think every actor was pretty perfect in their roles.

The one thing I really wanted but didn't get was the epic reunion between Chang-hee and Gu.

:7555_attack:

==

A few random observations from K-youtubers:

(1) The reason this show resonates deeply with so many viewers is that the star of this show is YOU, the viewer. You can see yourself in these characters who are struggling with this world that can be full of carelessness and hatred.

(2) The reason that we never got satisfying revenge towards the three jackazzes who made Mi-jeong angry every morning as soon as she woke from sleep - Team Leader Choi, Han Su-jin, and Chan-hyeok - because she made the proactive decision to not let her hatred control her life. When she helped save Chan-hyeok from being accused of sexual harassment, it wasn't because she was kind. But because she had decided to let go of the hatred. So revenge is no longer necessary.

(3) Gi-jeong is the "pick up girl," but instead of the severed head of her man, she picked up the severed head of the rose. The rose is not dead, but it is fragile, and she nurtures it.

(4) Gi-jeong cuts her hair, which is bit like beheading. (In Korean, the word for "head" and "hair" can be the same = 머리. Technically, hair is 머리카락, but a lot of people just say 머리 for short.) It's a symbol of sacrifice.

(5) Another perspective: When Gi-jeong and Tae-hun first began dating, she said she will either shave her head or love anyone. Tae-hun offered to be her 'anyone.' But when she cut her hair, she was almost sort of shaving her head. So she was getting closer to breaking up with Tae-hun.

(6) Gi-jeong speaks about such noble ideas about death, while Tae-hoon has such fearful attitudes about birth (anxiety about a child who will grow up to suffer). She is stronger, so she can support him emotionally. The love between them isn't just between man-woman but human-human. In fact, she even jokes that she will become a man.

• Like 5

On 5/30/2022 at 4:31 AM, the_sweetroad said:

The only thing is when MJ texts gu about the heater it is January 18th on the text. So I thought they met after new years

On 5/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, bedifferent said:

GJ is both sad and courageous at the same time.  Some people may say she needs self love, to give herself more respect in a relationship.  I thought GJ's point about defining her emotions was so true.  The feelings she has for TH is a mix of everything. Love is not the only reason why she is unable to leave.  She loves the part of him that is upright and decent even though his familial obligations and weakness hurt her.  I feel sorry that she has settled to lighten his load, to be his supporter instead of depending on him to support her.  But I also understand that she is a strong person who accepts the challenge and believes she can fight for both of them.  That in itself is admirable.   In a way, she is her mother's daughter. I hope she will not sacrifice her life the same way.  How tired it is to have to vigilantly protect and nurture your broken flower bud all the time.

It’s interesting because in the writers other work, Oh hae young, the main male lead mentions this as well when talking to his ex fiancee. The ex fiancé broke up with him because she thought he only stayed with her because he pitied her not because he loved her. But he argues that love and pity are the same, that love encompasses all sorts of emotion and if you care about someone you are going to pity their pain.

21 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Ahhh, there is also that New Year eve club scene.  With the non linear way the drama progresses, I'm trying to figure if it happened before or after episode 16.  If it was to mark the time Gu quits the business, he would have walked away without getting into the car.  His outfit, coat and all, feel more constraint than the casual jacket he has on the last scene.  Obviously it would be cool if it marked a new beginning for Gu.

I think they reunite after New Years because when MJ orders heater and texts gyu it says January 18th on the text message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, philosophie said:

I think they reunite after New Years because when MJ orders heater and texts gyu it says January 18th on the text message.

Oh! Sorry, Lunar New Year. Which was in February in 2022. :) So you're right, they met up after normal New Year's (Jan 1) but in Korea Lunar New Year is a bigger deal, and that's what I was referring to.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

My Liberation Notes: Episodes 15-16 (Final)

by quirkycase

MLN_wk8_11.jpg

We’ve reached the end of our story, but our characters’ stories are far from over. Although it’s not the type of drama to give us happily-ever-afters, we do end on a hopeful note. Some character arcs felt more resolved than others which might’ve been intentional. This is a drama that’s all about the journey, not the destination. And what a memorable journey it’s been.

EPISODES 15-16 WEECAP

We pick back up with Mi-jung and Gu rediscovering the comfort they shared, falling back into their habit of sharing whatever’s on their minds. Mi-jung and Gu continue seeing each other regularly, although Gu hopes to part ways before he sinks further and shows her the worst of himself. No matter who he becomes and how far he falls, he wants Mi-jung to know that he really, truly likes her.

Gu’s alcoholism is getting so bad that even Chairman Shin talks to him about it, noting that it’s now impacting his work. He urges Gu to get help before it ruins him. Rather than going to rehab or getting more therapy – it seems like he half-heartedly tried that before but didn’t make much progress – Gu talks to Mi-jung.

He tells her that he drinks to quiet the voices of those from his past who haunt him when he’s sober. His anger consumes and exhausts him, so he starts and ends the day drinking. It’s also a form of punishment, never allowing himself to be happy.

Mi-jung can relate to his anger, understanding what it’s like to exhaust yourself by hating others. She’s spent so long hating her ex that she now doesn’t even want him to pay her back – she’d rather keep having someone to blame and direct her anger toward.

She’d even planned on ruining his wedding, but before she could do anything, Gu called and asked to meet. Mi-jung says it’s like he was stopping her from hitting rock bottom, protecting her.

Gu does eventually ask about Chang-hee, which is kind of sweet. I love the begrudging relationship he has with him, like he’s an annoying little brother who he can’t help but kind of like. It seems Chang-hee has been doing quite well for himself. He’s now the owner of a convenience store after trying and failing to start a business.

He even managed to pay off his father’s debt. Chang-hee didn’t want it to affect his dad’s relationship with his new wife, so he worked hard to repay the loan. That leads to Chang-hee finally getting to hear his father compliment him and acknowledge his hard work. Je-ho is still stoic, but he’s more sensitive and forthcoming with his family now.

Things are going less well for the siblings on the relationship front. Chang-hee and Hyun-ah recently had a hard breakup. Chang-hee attributed their relationship struggles to the fact that he’s doing well – Hyun-ah needs someone she can fix. Chang-hee ends it with the promise that, if she ever wants to come back and he’s single, they can try again.

As for Ki-jung, she’s struggling in her relationship with Tae-hoon. Sun-kyung and Yu-rim still haven’t accepted her, and the tension is infecting everything. The couple decided to marry when Yu-rim is 20, but it’s hard to say if they’ll be able to hold out until then. Although they love each other, it’s clear they both feel like a burden to the other. Despite that, they keep pressing forward.

Tae-hoon, especially, seems unhappy and even depressed. He’s still feeling trapped, and the family tension is weighing on him. On the bright side, the Liberation Club is back in business! They meet up again after a long time and reflect on what they accomplished.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/05/my-liberation-notes-episodes-15-16-final/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1