[Drama 2022] My Liberation Notes, 나의 해방일지

agenth

On 5/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, chickfactor said:

(3) Gi-jeong cuts her hair, which is bit like beheading. (In Korean, the word for "head" and "hair" can be the same = 머리. Technically, hair is 머리카락, but a lot of people just say 머리 for short.) It's a symbol of sacrifice.

Thanks for the the observations!  One thing I forgot to mention.  Papa Yeom is quite observant and a good listener.  He just wasn't a good communicator :grin:  Like others, he noticed the short chop by GJ.  He first questioned GJ why she would cut her hair in the wintertime. Clearly telling GJ that's not the norm and that there is an underlying reason that she is hiding from the family.  Then he added, it's ok to be alone.  Papa Yeom actually listened and remembered GJ's past remark about cutting hair and finding her true love.  He wanted to assure her just like he will later on with CH that it is ok not to chase after relationship if it is not to be.^^

7 hours ago, larus said:

He even managed to pay off his father’s debt. Chang-hee didn’t want it to affect his dad’s relationship with his new wife, so he worked hard to repay the loan. That leads to Chang-hee finally getting to hear his father compliment him and acknowledge his hard work. Je-ho is still stoic, but he’s more sensitive and forthcoming with his family now.

wow @larusI realized this drama is not for everyone.  However, reading the comments section make me feel like I am over romanticizing the drama. LOL  @jus-ash@Codomo@philosophieeveryone, am I reading too much into the drama? I agree that it is somewhat choppy but I read somewhere @chickfactorthe title could be translated as My Liberation Journal (aka their journal).  Thus, the scenes don't flow seamlessly, linearly... cuz it was meant to be snippets /entries of a journal.  The idea is to show different phases and parts of their lives.   It may seem little was changed when taken in parts but when added up over three years, we realize a lot did.

I am surprised that even the reviewer got this part wrong.  CH paid off his debt and it was the stepmom who complimented him.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

It's been so many moons ago that I commented at Dramabeans that the site / I forgot my log in, so I just created another account.

That's how propelling My Liberation Notes/Journal is for me  - to actually bother.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/05/hot-take-gus-ending-scenes-in-my-liberation-notes-spoiler-alert/#comment-3976398

@bedifferent

"I am surprised that even the reviewer got this part wrong.  CH paid off his debt and it was the stepmom who complimented him."

So maybe I got it wrong, but I was never under the impression that they didn't own the land as they had both - Sanpo factory and the farmland. Yes perhaps the farm was mortgaged bec of the debt dad took on, as guarantor for Aunt's whatever financial burden.  But eventually the Sanpo Sinks factory was sold off too  - so won't that also go towards the debt, as they downsized?

CH himself had too many sweet potato machines, that he had purchased. My impression was this was his own debt. And it's a huge thing - that this was the same guy who was always hustling for a car and got dad roped in ... but yet managed to pay off his own debt as he became more mature and wiser.

A GREAT point made there on Dramabeans - CH's calling is more for Palliative Care, than a Funeral Director.  SO TRUE! working with those who are about to leave the world, rather than those who have already left.

• Like 6

At the end, Mr Gu tries to abandon his life as a thug and perhaps stop the people who appear in the morning from haunting him.   This way, perhaps he can finally stop drinking, and can greet these people calmly (as suggested by Mi Jeong), if they appear.  In any case his life is too messy and complicated to include Yeom Mi Jeong.  Having a relation with  her would destroy her life and he would not do so for her sake.  

Yeom Mi Jeong also found some degree of redemption.  Perhaps she does not need to hate others and hate herself, knowing that when she was young, she was happily involved in the lives of people around her, and she was not the withdrawn angry person she grew up to be.  As Mi Jeong said to herself:  I feel lovable.  In the last episode she was chatting and smiling normally with the coworkers, without the painful uncomfortable smile she put on when she went out with the coworkers at Joy Card.  She is truly on the way to liberation.

Yeom Ki jeong determined to follow the dry Mr. Jo Tae Hoon who was always at a lost as to how to deal with a teenage daughter.  He likewise felt the same.  And so  the two will go on, holding onto each other like the broken rose in a soy sauce shallow dish.

Jeom Chang Hee may have found his true calling:  Working as an undertaker. He seems to feel spiritually connected to the death and dying.  Maybe this is the meaning of his life, rather than pining fancy car or women.

The rest of the liberation club have not achieved the liberation they are looking for, but they have an understanding of what they need to liberate, so they will apply themselves.

The ending is certainly not tidy, just like many things in life don't have happy or tidy endings.  But these people will try to go on with their existence in pursuit of their idea of liberation.

• Like 5

“My Liberation Notes” And Its Stars Reign Over Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings In Final Week On Air

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jun 1, 2022
by E. Cha

JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes” wrapped up its run by remaining the most buzzworthy drama of the week!

In its final week on air, “My Liberation Notes” held onto its spot at No. 1 on Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the dramas that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon.

Not only did “My Liberation Notes” top the list of most buzzworthy dramas for the fourth consecutive week, but its stars also continued to dominate the list of most buzzworthy cast members. Son Suk Ku and Kim Ji Won maintained their positions at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively, while Lee Min Ki rose to No. 8 for the week.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in the fourth week of May are as follows:

1. JTBC “My Liberation Notes” 
  2. tvN “Our Blues”
  3. SBS “Again My Life”
  4. JTBC “Green Mothers’ Club”
  5. KBS2 “Bloody Heart”
  6. tvN “Sh**ting Stars
  7. KBS2 “Gold Mask”
  8. KBS2 “It’s Beautiful Now”
  9. SBS “Woori the Virgin
  10. MBC “From Now On, Showtime!

Meanwhile, the top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this week are as follows:

1. Son Suk Ku (“My Liberation Notes”)
  2. Kim Ji Won (“My Liberation Notes”)
  3. Lee Joon Gi (“Again My Life”)
  4. Han Ji Min (“Our Blues”)
  5. Jung Eun Hye (“Our Blues”)
  6. Lee Min Ki (“My Liberation Notes”)
  7. Kim Woo Bin (“Our Blues”)
  8. Kang Han Na (“Bloody Heart”)
  9. Lee Joon (“Bloody Heart”)
  10. Lee Kyung Young (“Again My Life”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1528959wpp/my-liberation-notes-and-its-stars-reign-over-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings-in-final-week-on-air

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More K-youtube observations:

(1) Tae-hun in his final scenes. Tae-hun buttoning his coat wrong is not a sign of "people don't change," but a sign that people can change! Because we've always seen Tae-hun very buttoned-up and proper at all times. He's not the type to button his coat wrong. We've never seen him drunk, in fact. But in the final scene, he's very drunk, grinning like a fool, acting goofy and sweet because he was changed by Gi-jeong's love for him.

For him, it was deeply significant that he found the courage to tell her what was deep in his heart. He had kept it hidden, because he wants to not be seen as weak. But he opened up to her, and she accepted him and embraced him. Because she is the "receiving girl." Being loved and accepted does wonders for your soul.

(2) Mi-jeong's "prophesies" come true. She told Gu that if he worshipped her, they will become different people by the spring. He asked her later, "Will we really be different?" She promised that they would.

It was like that scene in which she was working late at a bar/restaurant, and wished for him to come. He came, sat nearby, and drank a beer. And she thought to herself, "My wishes come true."

So by the end of the show, they both have changed, just like she promised.

(3) What changed Mi-jeong wasn't that she was loved. What changed Mi-jeong was loving someone. So loving others and showing them grace is what will make you happy in the end.

(4) Chang-hee began the show coveting material things. He ended the show dedicating his life to honoring those who are dying, therefore honoring the sanctity of life itself.

(5) The Yeom siblings lived in the country all their lives, and that is why they are less jaded, and more in touch with humanity.

==

Apropos of nothing, I watched this series with my husband, and his joke after Ep. 14 - "This guy drinks so much. Is this show called 'My Libation Notes?'" :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

(1) Tae-hun in his final scenes. Tae-hun buttoning his coat wrong is not a sign of "people don't change," but a sign that people can change! Because we've always seen Tae-hun very buttoned-up and proper at all times. He's not the type to button his coat wrong. We've never seen him drunk, in fact. But in the final scene, he's very drunk, grinning like a fool, acting goofy and sweet because he was changed by Gi-jeong's love for him.

For him, it was deeply significant that he found the courage to tell her what was deep in his heart. He had kept it hidden, because he wants to not be seen as weak. But he opened up to her, and she accepted him and embraced him. Because she is the "receiving girl." Being loved and accepted does wonders for your soul.

Love this! It was creative how the show tackled their relationship. Yes, he was so stiff and buttoned-up before. I was surprised he was drunk, really. At least he was a happy drunk. :lol:

In fact, Tae Hun is like Park Dong Hoon in My Mister - quiet, introverted, dutiful, "righteous", family-oriented and completely put upon by his family, but

smart and finally willing to let love transform him. I noticed that at the end he had his own office so it seemed like he had been promoted, too.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:59 AM, tiger457_stv said:

In the last episode she was chatting and smiling normally with the coworkers, without the painful uncomfortable smile she put on when she went out with the coworkers at Joy Card.

Great point. She was always awkward with the ladies at Joy Card - but here at the end she was walking with 2 male colleagues and chatting comfortably. Go girl! :)

I think it's been mentioned before that we get to watch Mi Jung become comfortable in her own skin.

• Like 3

so i rewatch again ep 15 and 16. even though, Gi jeong already reaffirm that it is nice to be alone, she still stay with the relationship. perhaps in the beginning, she want to love anyone because of other perception. now, she decide to continue to love because of herself, she know she strong and able to face the hrdship. 

anyone care to give insight on the last scene of ep 15. when CH said, he not the one won but the mountain itself?

cause i kinda relate and understand on the explanation of mr. gu that we are just the people is just equal to one qon in a pile of 7.7 billion. 

im an army, so there is lyrics in on of the  the bts song that said that compare people as star in galaxy. when listeed to it, kinda feel more happy compare to mr. gu comparison that kinda look negatively 

so is it CH realize that he is worthy like a mountain not small and equal to one won? that is why she decide to break from the toxic relationship with her ex gf?  what do you guys think

• Like 3

Album Extension released. BUT it's still missing that very beautiful song in Ep 14 (the one DH started strumming when the 3 friends met ... the "lonely one" which then got taken over by the melody - when CH was burying his mom's artifical body part.  Melody and Lyrics are so beautiful!. Does anyone know the song title please?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, just a random tidbit: when GU-MI met again and Gu had to leave for his work and returned with a cut on his cheek, the song playing in the background was "Nevertheless" from the K-drama Nevertheless. The exact lyrics at that moment was:

너는 나쁜 사람이야 또 나쁜 사랑이야

내 맘을 다 가져가고
네 맘을 주진 않니

You are a bad person and this is a bad love
You took all of my heart
But you won't give me yours

I only watched 2 episodes of that drama but I really like this song, so I recognized it, and that was funny!

==

So, more random observation of K-youtubers:

(1) Where did Gu go with the bag of money?

- Many guess that he went to pay Hyeon-jin's gambling debts, because it looks like Hyeon-jin is sure to be murdered if that debt wasn't paid.

- My guess is that he went to pay Chairman Shin because Hyeon-jin stole what should go to Chairman Shin, and he will kill both Gu and Hyeon-jin if he doesn't get his money.

- Some guess that he will take that money and go underground with Mi-jeong

- The final, funniest guess is that he goes to the Philippines to begin a criminal enterprise, which is apparently what happens in Son Seok-gu's movie, "Roundup 2" :lol:

This movie is apparently a big hit. GU-mania is raging in Korea.

(2) Sam-sik

Gu always called him a bunch of other names - such as Chun-ja and Ok-ja, and even Yeom Mi-jeong - all female names. But when Gu finally called him by his changed name - Kim Wu-bin - he became so happy and energized.

We all liked Sam-sik and didn't want him to die. And he lived! And we knew that he would live because Gu called him by the right name. The goat who has a name is not killed and eaten.

Also, Kim Wu-bin is just funny because that is the name that the Grim Reaper chose in Goblin as his earth name: after being given a choice of WON BIN, HYEON BIN, and KIM WU-BIN. Apparently the real actor Kim Wu-bin was happy about this and wrote a thank you note to the writer. The name "KIM WU-BIN" just equals sexy and sophisticated! (The actor is not bad, as well.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Doo-Hwan ... CH, as he is saying his Farewell to mom. Very beautiful, one of my favorites in the entire OST line up.

I have been looking everywhere for this song - it's NOT in the OST 1 list lineup, nor the new OST2 lineup either.

Farewell My Love - Lee Moon-sae

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if your Netflix has had MLN all along, but ours hasn't. (I'm in Europe.) But today I just discovered all the episodes have been released on Netflix here, all at once! Good news. Looking forward to watching it all again when there's time.

• Love 1

So happy that MLN is on Netflix! :D

I started re-watching Episode 1 yesterday and noticed right away how many details are packed in to the opening credits. For example, when they show Chang Hee, some fancy cars drive by. Then they show a man dozing off, and it looks like Mr Gu in the back seat of a black car. (He's not on a bus.)

And the restaurant scene where Gi Jung first meets Tae Hun is soo awkward...and long. I had forgotten that her lipstick or nail polish actually drops to the ground and rolls all the way to his feet, and that he has to pick it up and give it to her. It's a deliciously torturous moment, and both actors pull it off so well.

Is anyone else re-watching the show? Would be interesting to see what we all notice upon a 2nd watch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Such a masterpiece, highly recommended.  I started this drama right after Our Blues ended and then rewatch all 16 episodes again and although it's been a month now, am still missing Yeom siblings and Gu-ssi. Yeom appa and omma are also endearing.  Agree with CH when you're living in a countryside where population is sparse, basically your neighbours are your classmates and your friends.  I used to commute more 1.5 hour each way to/from work, so I do understand much of the time spent on commuting, and when I missed the last train or bus, I got to take a taxi back home which cost a lot $$.

The OST is just so awesome and has become one of my recent playlist on replay. 

And thanks @jus-ashfor sharing "Farewell My Love" by Lee Moon-sae.

• Like 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Son Suk Ku And Kim Ji Won On What “My Liberation Notes” Taught Them About Love

In a recent interview and pictorial for Marie Claire Korea magazine, Son Suk Ku and Kim Ji Won share their thoughts on their hit drama “My Liberation Notes”!

“My Liberation Notes,” which aired this spring, told the emotional story of three siblings hoping to escape their stifling lives (played by Kim Ji Won, Lee Min Ki, and Lee El) and the mysterious outsider who moved in next door (played by Son Suk Ku).

Reflecting on what they had learned from the drama about love, Son Suk Ku remarked, “The drama gave me the feeling of confirming my thoughts on love one more time.”

He went on to note, “I think this drama kept repeating the message over and over again that only someone who knows how to care for themselves is able to also love someone else. It’s a drama that shows the journey of change that leads to that conclusion.”

Son-Suk-Ku-768x938.jpg

Meanwhile, Kim Ji Won remarked, “I feel like [‘My Liberation Notes’] was an experience that broadened my range of love and made me grow as a person.”

Explaining what she had taken away from the love story between Son Suk Ku’s character Mr. Gu and her own character Yeom Mi Jung, Kim Ji Won shared, “I think it’s when you see someone for exactly who they are that they can feel comfortable and relaxed, and I think that helps you look inward and reflect on yourself. I feel like that might be why Mr. Gu was able to sort everything out and take one step after another towards Mi Jung. I learned that it isn’t words that change a person, but consistent feelings.”

Son-Suk-Ku-Kim-Ji-Won-2-768x938.jpg

Son Suk Ku and Kim Ji Won’s full interview and pictorial can be found in the August issue of Marie Claire Korea

Son Suk Ku And Kim Ji Won On What “My Liberation Notes” Taught Them About Love | Soompi

• Like 1

Quick Poll: Favourite Superheroes and Villains! :coolshades:

This is war! :cheers:

Hello everyone! We love our superheroes and hate the villains with vehemence. These characters have left an indelible mark on us. So, it's time to let the whole world know! Vote for your favourite superheroes and villains. Now!

Re:

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• 2 weeks later...