[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Shin Seung Ho Discusses His Acting Transformation In “Alchemy Of Souls,” Rates His Own Performance, And More

After starring in “D.P” as a villain, Shin Seung Ho portrayed a completely different image in “Alchemy of Souls”!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, tvN’s recently concluded “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls. Shin Seung Ho starred as crown prince Go Won, who is grumpy, petty, and mischievous but aims to be a generous and gentle king.

In a recent interview with Star News, Shin Seung Ho looked back on the conclusion of “Alchemy of Souls” and shared, “Even though the filming period was longer than other projects, it was fun. I filmed enjoyably with good senior actors and staff members and I learned a lot. I’ll remember it as a good project. I’m also thankful to viewers.”

After giving a powerful performance as the villain Hwang Jang Soo in his last work “D.P,” Shin Seung Ho showed fans a new side as Go Won, who was impossible to hate. “I thought a lot about this aspect as I dove into this project,” Shin Seung Ho commented. “Although I haven’t done a lot of works, [Go Won] is the character who is most similar to my real-life personality. No matter what character I meet, I believe I have to empty out my last character and fill it anew, but since [Go Won] was similar to my real self, I think I was excited. Rather than feel pressured about my image transformation, I wanted to show that ‘this actor has this kind of side and is an actor who knows how to enjoyably act like this too.'”

Shin-Seung-Ho-1-1024x1536.jpeg

When asked whether he referred to any other projects to create the character of Go Won, Shin Seung Ho revealed that he didn’t. He elaborated, “I’m quick to absorb and imitate, but if you take one thing and chase it, you lose what you wanted to do. I know I’m the type to hurriedly try to imitate, so I didn’t intentionally specify anything. I tried to create a character that wasn’t too heavy but didn’t stray too much from the midpoint of a typical historical and fantasy romance drama. I wanted viewers to think ‘what is he?’ although he looks like as a villain.”

Shin Seung Ho also praised his co-star Jung So Min, who played the main character Mu Deok, saying, “I think the first female character that Go Won meets is Mu Deok. Apart from the characters’ relationship, when he meets with Mu Deok, the tension and atmosphere both slightly and immensely changed.”

He added, “While [Jung So Min] made a lot of jokes on set, I got surprised at each scene and each episode when I watched her act or watched the broadcasts. I’ve even thought to myself about what mindset she has when acting.”

Although the probability of it actually happening is not high, there are some viewers who really support a love line between Mu Deok and Go Won. Shin Seung Ho shared his own thoughts on this, commenting, “If a perfect image were to come out from their love line, it’d be great to go that route, but I believe that the crown prince’s character is perfected because neither his friendship or love with Mu Deok works out.”

Shin-Seung-Ho-2-1024x1536.jpeg

Shin Seung Ho revealed that he was friends with co-star Hwang Minhyun before they began filming “Alchemy of Souls” and shared, “On set, there were times when we saw each other closely, and times when we couldn’t see each other, even though we were filming on the same day. Despite that, when we were scheduled on the same days, I gained strength and felt less tired. Aside from work, we spoke a lot about all sorts of things about each other.”

To rate his performance in “Alchemy of Souls,” Shin Seung Ho chose a humble 60 out of 100 and explained, “I’m satisfied with regards to whether I showcased a new image. However, if I nitpick whether I could’ve shown a better image within my character, if I were to do it again, I think I’d be able to show a better image.”

He continued, “Around the conclusion [of a drama], there are interview spaces like this where I end up naturally reflecting on my time. I don’t think I failed with regards to my goals and aspects I had planned. Aside from whether I did a good or bad job, I’m in the process of achieving my goals.”

Spoiler

Shin-Seung-Ho-3-1024x1536.jpeg

Shin-Seung-Ho-4-768x1152.jpeg

Although Part 1 of “Alchemy of Souls” has come to an end, the cast is already busily filming Part 2. Shin Seung Ho commented, “In Part 2, the crown prince’s story will unravel. In my opinion, it will be really fun. I think it’ll be good if you continue to look forward to the crown prince’s activity.”

To conclude, Shin Seung Ho shared, “When I combine my age and time with the set, ‘Alchemy of Souls’ was youth to me. I worked with friends my age and the project itself is a growth story of young sorcerers. I think that’s what my time was like.”

“Alchemy of Souls” Part 2 will air this December.

Shin Seung Ho Discusses His Acting Transformation In “Alchemy Of Souls,” Rates His Own Performance, And More | Soompi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marrez1 said:

humm i know that JSM is busy,  but where are the interview and photoshoot for Jung So Min? i assume it's  for the cast of the ending of season 1

Same! Without her character, there is no plot, it's a bunch of unassociated characters out living their lives. It would be lovely to see an interview and photoshoot for her. 

• Like 2

New Event :issohappy:

All Things Fall! Bonus: Vote for the most anticipated upcoming dramas   :coolshades:

Chingus! We are back with a new event! It's about all things autumn. Moreover, we got lots of polls for you! Do check it out and let us know your thoughts about your about autumn. :yay:

News Flash • East Amwell Township, NJ • CivicEngage

Re: Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart @partyon @Sleepy Owl and @agenth

ImageImage

Saw that someone updated this from the profile of Cho-yeon character:

The changes are that Danggu as her husband is part of her family instead of Jinmu as her uncle.

And she's now the heir of Jinyowon   ( SPOILER???  There goes Bu-yeon's existence???)  

She's now officially a female magician and Ryuseo is her magic level

• Like 2

I think it will be cool to see her taking a more active role. She was pushed to the side the whole time when her mom ONLY cared about Buyeon. Hope she comes into her own here.

As TVN directly said that Buyeon was petrified and JSM would not be in S2 at all, I think you are right, Buyeon is truly gone. I do hope they at least explain a bit more about her, though. It feels like there are loose ends--why couldn't she stop the bells, why did she pick Naksu in the first place, etc. etc. I also am a bit sad that Choyeon never got that sister relationship, whether it was with Buyeon (the real person and not the myth her mother built up) or Naksu. I don't see her forgiving Naksu ever, but maybe if they meet as Choyeon and Choyeong (what is up with that naming?!), there will be another chance?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

I think it will be cool to see her taking a more active role. She was pushed to the side the whole time when her mom ONLY cared about Buyeon. Hope she comes into her own here.

As TVN directly said that Buyeon was petrified and JSM would not be in S2 at all, I think you are right, Buyeon is truly gone. I do hope they at least explain a bit more about her, though. It feels like there are loose ends--why couldn't she stop the bells, why did she pick Naksu in the first place, etc. etc. I also am a bit sad that Choyeon never got that sister relationship, whether it was with Buyeon (the real person and not the myth her mother built up) or Naksu. I don't see her forgiving Naksu ever, but maybe if they meet as Choyeon and Choyeong (what is up with that naming?!), there will be another chance?

I absolutely agree with you....loose beginnings as well as loose ends where Bu yeon is concerned....:hahah!:

Hopefully cho yeon has thicker plot around her existence and I also wonder why cho yeon and choyeong as if they are close cousins..

• Like 1

And I was missing AoS so rewatching clips! Last two weeks have been hard.

How is everyone?

I also saw the Younger Jin sister card and someone on twitter had translated it. Please could someone also translate the important bits from Dangu?

Also, here is Naksu/CY/MD:

5 hours ago, frozentundra said:

As TVN directly said that Buyeon was petrified and JSM would not be in S2 at all, I think you are right, Buyeon is truly gone.

I think the most interesting part would be how mom Jin will treat BY's petrified body to get Naksu out and into her original body. Beyond that what would be more interesting is that if Naksu is staying in the Jin house then how is she explained to Dangu and how come the younger Jin sister doesn't kill her?
Mommy Jin's attitude in s2 will be interesting given that she is power hungry but now her daughter is incharge so does she let go and her attitude towards the soul that occupied her daughter's body and will she really let go of her petrified daughter's body or make it into a mummy for herself? Why did she love BY so madly?

There has to be a CY connect to BY and Jin household. What... I don't know. I think the mystery of why JG was looking for her or why JM picked her post her dad's death or convince her dad for AoS is not over... but maybe I am wrong.

Oh and the leaked pictures of a scary JU just make the fact that we are 3 months away from the actual release real. May they shoot well and may we get the entire story without any hiccups this year itself.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jeannie said:

I have seen that video so many times. Lol it was very well done and it makes me miss them even more. :cry:

me too!

oh and please just translate all the character charts! Do tag me if anyone does this. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

@K-dramafan22and @DramafreakHere is Danggu, the others are under a cut because it gets long. :) 

Card for ep 1-20:

Park Danggu

Actor:    Yoon Insoo

Family:  Uncle Park Jin

Affiliation:   member of Songrim

Symbol:    Summer (one of the Four Seasons in Daeho)

Speciality:    bow and arrow (assumed)

Card for season 2:

Actor:    Yoon Insoo

Nationality:  Daeho

Family:   older sister (presumed)

Wife Jin Choyeon

Rank:    mage (I am not sure on this, but it seems the most likely meaning)

Affiliation:  heir of Songrim

Symbol:   Summer (one of the Four Seasons in Daeho)

Magic level: Ryusu (two stars)

Specialty:  bow and arrow

Jin Choyeon, card for season 1:

Actress     Arin

Family:   father Jin Woo Tak, mother Jin Ho Kyung, older sister Jin Buyeon, uncle Jin Mu

Affiliation: Jinyowon

Symbol: Spring (one of the Four Seasons)

Specialty:  Unknown

Jin Choyeon, card for season 2:

Spoiler

Actress    Arin

Nationality:   Daeho

Family: mother Jin Ho Kyung, father Jin Woo Tak (deceased), older sister Jin Buyeon (presumed deceased), husband Park Danggu

Affiliation: Jinyowon (heir)

Symbol: Spring (Four Seasons)

Rank/magic level: Ryusu (**)

Mudeok:

Mudeok

Actress:   Jung So Min

Nationality:  Daeho

Family:  mother Jin Ho Kyung, father Jin Woo Tak (deceased), younger sister Jin Choyeon

Fiancé: Jang Uk

Affiliation: Jinyowon

Rank/magic level:  Chisu (***/assumed)

Characteristic: visually impaired

Nickname: Filthy Mudeoki

Naksu:

Actress:  Go Yoon Jung

Nationality: Daeho

Family: father Jo Choong (deceased)

Affiliation: independent

Rank/magic level: Chisu (***)

Specialty: tansu

I feel like they did not really know what to do with er, "Mudeok" as they tried to cover the body (Buyeon) and the soul (Naksu) in that one. Since after all, "Mudeok" in her second life as Naksu was not blind but could do Chisu, and it was Buyeon, not Naksu, who was a Jin. Also, big fat ugly ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ over the crossed-out fiance line. :( 

I guess Danggu and Choyeon managed to get married despite the chaos. I'm curious why for the second part it lists everyone's nationality. Are there other nationalities in this drama? Guess we'll find out... 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

because SY is not from Daeho but Seo fortress?

The cards (face palm!): they raise more questions than answering any!

I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the boundaries of this world. I thought Seo Fortress was in the country of Daeho, just in another city. But...maybe not. They should provide a map for us. :) 

A couple of parallels I observed in the drama, and a question:

When Mudeok/Naksu first encounters Seo Yul, she's trying to learn his breathing pattern. After a number of suspicious tries, he catches on and lets her. "But just for three breaths." So he puts her hand--which is holding the flute--against his chest for three breaths. Watching that scene again made me a little teary, because that's how they chose to close out that plot line as well. 

I'd forgotten that Jang Uk actually stabs his father figure (Park Jin) in the chest when he has his sword but no control over his power. Park Jin is someone who loves him (despite his weird way of showing it). It's an interesting parallel/foreboding of what will happen to Jang Uk and someone who he loves who does not have power over her stabby stabby sword at that moment.

I'm not sure if I ever understood the thing about Naksu's father, though. So...he was a soul shifter who went wild at the end, killed a bunch of people in his household, and then the four seasons people had to come in and finish him off. So...does that mean that a different soul was inside his body? Then where is he? I assume he would not still be alive by now, he'd be turned to stone or else evilly feeding off of other people. But technically, that would mean he didn't kill his own family, right? It was someone else? (Then again, maybe I shouldn't overthink this, lol...) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I'm not sure if I ever understood the thing about Naksu's father, though. So...he was a soul shifter who went wild at the end, killed a bunch of people in his household, and then the four seasons people had to come in and finish him off. So...does that mean that a different soul was inside his body? Then where is he? I assume he would not still be alive by now, he'd be turned to stone or else evilly feeding off of other people. But technically, that would mean he didn't kill his own family, right? It was someone else? (Then again, maybe I shouldn't overthink this, lol...) 

if i remember correctly (but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, since i skipped a lot of part in ep 20 and haven't been able to bring myself to re-watch it), shaman choi and jin mu was the one who turned naksu's father into a soul shifter right? hence them being able to control his body and made him run wild (with the deus-ex-bells), right? so, if they keep their modus operandi since back then, i believe they have already killed his soul along with whomever body he ended up with. just like what happened with master kang and his disciple.

• Like 1