[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

4 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

You can try to claim Naksu is a criminal all you wish, you can ignore the complexity in her character background if you wish, none of that matters as she is in point of fact the heroine in this drama

Darn it, this show will always be forever etched in the annals of strange kdramas and it has nothing to with my comprehension skills; although the last time that my ability was assessed, the panel of professors for my defence thought my spelling and punctuations were 'colonialistic' :sweat_smile:. (Edit: thankfully not anachronistic)

Back to the show, to quote 

6 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

Okay. STUPID SHOW! Just plain STUPID!

:joy: 
well, not exactly stupid to me. Misses Hongs writings have been touted by Soompi as 

"became known for their brand of quirky and buzzy writing style, infusing the average rom-com... "

They have to live up to it. 

This one is convoluted. Therefore it needs a strange lead couple i.e. a criminal heroine and a hero of strange paternity, supported by weirder characters. I prefer whales to a soul shifting doggie.

Do dogs have souls? 

45 minutes ago, PororoQueen said:

Let JangUk marry So-i for real.

That would be so cruel to him, especially when he has improved so much since ep. 1. :pensive:

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

cr.: owner

hahaha the scene where crown prince saw jang uk and mu deok at the unanimous assembly and mouth why they are there was funny.. they are like the heavenly made bff but both hating the fact and denying it

Suspicious Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

i think the power of real bu yeon is unleashed, woohoo!!

but i dun really want to see mu deok with that iconic hooked eyeliner fashion

Korean Drama Omg GIF by The Swoon

so, all trapped inside the fog are unable to use their powers except for soul shifters? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Here is the ratings for Episode 17! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls” Ratings Return To All-Time High Following Hiatus

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” has returned on a high note!

On August 20, “Alchemy of Souls” resumed airing new episodes after a one-week hiatus. According to Nielsen Korea, the fantasy romance drama returned to its all-time high of 7.6 percent for its latest episode, taking first place in its time slot across all channels—including public broadcast networks.

“Alchemy of Souls” also continued its nine-week streak at first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it earned a nationwide average of 3.6 percent.

“Alchemy Of Souls” Ratings Return To All-Time High Following Hiatus | Soompi

• Like 4

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jae Wook, Jung So Min, Minhyun, And Shin Seung Ho Are Shocked By An Unexpected Turn Of Events In “Alchemy Of Souls”

Danger lies ahead on the next episode of tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls”!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Alchemy of Souls,” the king suggested that they test the power of the ice stone by killing Mu Deok (Jung So Min) and then trying to bring her back to life. However, as Mu Deok began to lose consciousness, Jin Bu Yeon’s consciousness reawakened within her, and she shocked Jin Ho Kyung (Park Eun Hye) by suddenly calling her “Mother.”

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook), Mu Deok, Seo Youl (Minhyun), and crown prince Go Won (Shin Seung Ho) are all visibly caught off guard by an unexpected turn of events. Jang Wook is unable to hide his shocked expression, while Go Won frantically grabs Mu Deok’s arm in alarm.

In yet another photo, Seo Youl’s and So Yi (Seo Hye Won)’s jaws drop as they find themselves in danger after running into the soul shifter Kang Gaek Joo.

Lee-Jae-Wook-4-800x533.jpeg

Shin-Seung-Ho-Jung-So-Min-800x533.jpeg

Spoiler

Minhyun-Seo-Hye-Won-800x533.jpeg

The producers of “Alchemy of Souls” teased, “Together with the power of the ice stone, Jang Wook, Mu Deok, Seo Youl, and the crown prince Go Won will end up trapped inside Jeongjingak.”

They went on, “In Episode 18, there will be an unexpected twist that will turn the entire story upside down, and you won’t be able to tear your eyes away from the plot for a single moment. Please look forward to it.”

To find out what dangers lie in wait for our heroes—and whether they will be able to escape unscathed—tune in to the next episode of “Alchemy of Souls” on August 21 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

Lee Jae Wook, Jung So Min, Minhyun, And Shin Seung Ho Are Shocked By An Unexpected Turn Of Events In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 5

OMG!!!:onfirex:

Now I know why they need the one-week hiatus!!!  This episode is sending me to shoot up the roof!!!!  They try to delay my pain?   No way...it's still as bad!!!:cries3:

How...how....how can they kill Jin Bu-yeon in this merciless way and by her own mother too????   This is seriously bada** script!!!    I am fuming mad....   Is she really dead and only Naksu is revived????    So I was right, the blue eyes that Jang Uk saw was actually Jin Bu-yeon....it has ALWAYS been Jin Bu-yeon who was the real saviour for Jang Uk, not Naksu!!!!   Jang Uk, please wake up your senses....

I am so angry that I cannot write anymore.....tears automatically came off when Mudeok was being killed....PLAIN DUMB MOTHER!!!!   What kind of mother who is suspicious the daughter is not hers and still kills another person for her????  :crazymad:

I need to recover before watching EP 18 tonight...it better gives me a good recovery....poooor Bu-yeon.... what a tragic life!!

• Like 4

Just re-watched episode 17 and the preview -

Even though we know Mu Deok returns, I'm eager to see which of our 4 seasons+1 will tear into the parents the most for killing Mu Deok as a test. 

As much as I'd like to think it'd be Jang Uk, I just gotta go with our King-to-be the Crown Prince. 

- CP goes after King&Queen + Jin Mu

- Jang Uk goes after Park Jin for doing nothing, Dang Gu will hit him up too.

- Cho Yeon goes after her mother

Obviously no one will die, but I'd love to see Jin Mu say something snarky and the Crown Prince draws a sword on him - nobody messes with Filthy Mu Deok when the Crown Prince is around! :lol: 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Obviously no one will die

have we forgotten your So-I? she was gloating in glee secretly for fake mom to kill real daughter.. i can’t wait to see her expression and fear when she learnt that Jin Mu is going to soul shift shaman choi into HER body

Crazy Laugh GIF

or maybe, we get to see her epic fall into the composebox of dna blood worms..

==

btw, the ice stone looks cool.. it’ll be a good addition into the whiskey glass.. no wonder Park Jin wants it in Songrim.. for his ever self depleting wine bottle!

single malt alcohol GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

37 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

btw, the ice stone looks cool.. it’ll be a good addition into the whiskey glass.. no wonder Park Jin wants it in Songrim.. for his ever self depleting wine bottle!

Okay, you win the thread for today with this one ... :joy::joy::joy:

39 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

have we forgotten your So-I? she was gloating in glee secretly for fake mom to kill real daughter.. i can’t wait to see her expression and fear when she learnt that Jin Mu is going to soul shift shaman choi into HER body

I am rather curious what happens immediately after the last scene in todays episode (17)

So I is standing next to Jin Mother, yet we know from the preview she will end up at some point with Yul to be attacked by the vengeful soulshifter.  The question is how is this allowed to happen?

Jin Mother clearly heard Bu Yeon call her, now her first action will be to save Bu Yeon of course, but her very next action would be to seize So I, and then Jin Mu there after ... which would seem to negate her walking down a hall with Yul, but we know thats coming up.  Either way, I will be very surprised AND disappointed if Jin Mother continues to support Jin Mu after almost inadvertently killing her long lost daughter.  Should be a good episode. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

39 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Okay, you win the thread for today with this one ...

you see the king staring so intensely at it i almost thought he is going to reach his hand right into the jar to grab it.. does it have a hypnotising effect or what..

single malt alcohol GIF

39 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The question is how is this allowed to happen?

definitely something to do with the fog.. they would all scutter for their own safety as usual.. and forgot about mu deok..

like how bu yeon summoned out the ice stone when she was young, and when she wanted to return it (to the skies?) the weather changed.. then Jin Mu snatched the ice stone (for his whiskey) and pushed her down the boat.. the same angry skies..

but i think the weird part would be mu deok regaining her composure so fast after an almost death encounter..

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

The ending of Ep17 is as always...a cliffhanger.

Luckily (or unluckily?) we will have today's Ep18 to satisfy our thirst for answers to the ever confusing fantasy romance saga (I hope so...please) :Please:

1) What twists do we have for today with the strangled (to death?) MuDeok-BuYeon-Naksu???

2) What's with the ice stone barrier that separates people (youngsters vs. old folks?)

Don't tell me there'll be two versions of MuDeok now?

The dead one (remember the person lying on the floor when the Queen-Shaman Choi do the soul shifting thing) in the other barrier & the newly-regained powerful Naksu in the other barrier?

:wut:

Since only soul shifters have powers in the other barrier, I am anticipating Master Kang vs. Naksu's showdown!

FIGHT! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!! :onfirex:

OMO! OMO!

WHAT'S THIS CLIFFHANGER?!?!?!

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2
  • Blob 1

23 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

Jung So Min is a phenomenal actress, she is so good, i'm sad that next week are her last episodes:heartbreak:, she is wonderful.

Ikr.....that's why I wanted Naksu to return to her own body and Jin Bu-Yeon to continue in Mudeok's body in S2 as the love for Jang Uk....  but looks like not possible as the soul exchange is so messed up...  He seems to be liking Naksu in Mudeok's body.........such a mess up story and nobody ever knows where Jin Bu-yeon is...she does not seem to have a life at all....always in some space.......at this rate I am no longer interested in Bu-yeon......the script really is a mess up of all their 3 lives...  

Sol-i and Seo Yul?   She kinda saved him...  Now it looks highly possible @LeftCoastOppa....think your dream is coming true?..... loll

So what's this trapping of the group inside the ice stone?   What is the ice stone trying to do?   Where is Bu-yeon?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, K-dramafan22 said:

Ikr.....that's why I wanted Naksu to return to her own body and Jin Bu-Yeon to continue in Mudeok's body in S2 as the love for Jang Uk....  but looks like not possible as the soul exchange is so messed up...  He seems to be liking Naksu in Mudeok's body.........such a mess up story and nobody ever knows where Jin Bu-yeon is...she does not seem to have a life at all....always in some space.......at this rate I am no longer interested in Bu-yeon......the script really is a mess up of all their 3 lives...  

Sol-i and Seo Yul?   She kinda saved him...  Now it looks highly possible @LeftCoastOppa....think your dream is coming true?..... loll

So what's this trapping of the group inside the ice stone?   What is the ice stone trying to do?   Where is Bu-yeon?

Same sentiments. Jin Bu Yeon seems like okay with Naksu living in her body. I can’t wait to see how this will all end.

Jung So Min is the reason I started watching this drama. There’s no reason to continue watching it without her.

My head is spinning with this switching of souls and the power of the ice stone. Lol

• Like 5
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, K-dramafan22 said:

I had also mentioned it but peope told me it was impossible, in any case she clearly has a crush on him, she likes him ,we know that she is a RickRoll'D  but Nasku also killed a lot of people.
In any case, I don't think that Yul is in love with her but but he seems to take pity on her, I have a good feeling she's still in part 2, so So-i with Yul later? we will see

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

I think they made pretty good use of the hiatus.  I liked the 2 episodes this week…

Spoiler

Buyeon’s motives?

1. Buyeon’s fully aware of Naksu in her body and allows her to cohabit and educates her on the use of the ice stone. Not sure why but perhaps being an all-powerful priestess is not particularly useful at knife point, and wielding is sword is useful? Or perhaps she is collecting abilities/relics?

2. Was Buyeon the one who trapped them in the ice stone? I doubt it had gone berserk on its own. Was she throwing a tantrum cos Mom wanted to murder her so she locked her ‘doors’ and threw away the key?

Naksu’s back! :wub:

3. I loved her dilemma- shift souls, kill everyone and be a powerful loner or remain a shadow of her former self and be contented to serve others all day while bickering with her master

4.  Watching her Tansu-ing Master Kang was satisfying but I wish it was a slightly longer fight. Fun was too short.

5. We now know very clearly what she wants, Jang Uk knows it too but she is too afraid to face it. 

Jang Uk is a genius! :wub:

6. How does he know everything?! Sending a message on a stone bit was quite entertaining. Can’t believe CP wanted a bigger stone…:w00t:

7. Luring Master Kang into the secret chamber with nary a wound. He was probably very familiar with that room -all the nooks and crannies- since he’s been pinned there many times. Poor Yul got beaten to a pulp

8. When he suspected Naksu’s power might be back, a plan naturally hatches. Hiding in the secret chamber while waiting for Naksu’s true intention to show was brilliant.

9. Like how he identified with the old masters sincerity with Words of the Heart, this guy’s got real faith that Naksu will come running to save him and later questioned her intentions like a competent lawyer, squeezing the truth out of her - he kills so many birds with one stone.

Why I can sleep in peace tonight:

She withdraws her sword! Yay!

She gets rewarded with a swoony kiss! Double yay!! *toe curls*

:hooray2:

I caught a glimpse of a dress fitting in the previews. We might get a HEA…

:heart2beat:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

dayum that kiss :shaq: totally understandable for an assassin to have a jang uk achilles heel :D

also how can we explain the original actress playing naksu being in the sequel if her body was burnt? or would season 2 be a prequel instead? slightly confused.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

One good thing that happened from Ep 18 was that it solidified my opinion to discontinue the series after S1. I can always read discussions on S2 here or elsewhere to satisfy my curiosity, but I will be saving 10 hours of my time from this messy plot which I am sure is only going to get worse. Why would Naksu think they all will die once she soul shifts? None of them are her enemies, so why would she want to unnecessarily kill them

Modern Family Cameron Tucker GIF

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

20 minutes ago, emsel said:

Why would Naksu think they all will die once she soul shifts?

i think she got misled by what bu yeon said.. if she gains something, she must lose something.. to soul shift under the realm of the ice stone barrier probably will suck out everyone’s energy since there is no soul ejector.. or she misunderstood that in order to soul shift, the ice stone barrier works as a massive soul ejector..

Korean Drama What GIF by The Swoon

half of ep18 is just mu deok contemplating.. but at least there is closure for crown prince.. he made an effort to confess his feelings, indirectly. and got rejected.. he expected it but he was brave enough to try.. seo yul too.. he tried to hold on and eventually let go of her and asked her to look for jang uk instead..

agreed that the showdown between mu deok and that soul shifter was too brief.. i was hoping for more fighting scenes not just 2 tansu strikes and KO..

Amazon Sigh GIF by Catastrophe

erm, @LeftCoastOppa nooo im not going to give in to SS-ship sailing..

Spoiler

rips torpedo GIF

• Like 7
  • Blob 2