[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

2 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

That makes sense @syntyche.  Otherwise, if she was to portray old Sanju in real time, they would be at the end of the novel.  The only other older person (I'm only halfway through the book) would be Sanju's mother.  

She was in Dear My Friends?  OMG, one of my top 10 kdramas.  I loved it.

lol, that made me laugh @Nikaa94:lol:  At least we are prepared knowing we may not see him as much as we'd like, unlike LMH's last drama which was a total shock, at least to me, that he was not a prominent character until the end.  

omg, my heart still aches when I remember that... :bawling:

yes, at least we can prepare ourselves this time :( 

it’s okay! It’s only 8 episodes and filming won’t take as long as TKEM did. (*fingers crossed*) :approves: I want a 16 episode Netflix drama  News from LMH right after Pachinko. Minoz, be prepared for Nika’s requests and whines :D 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Yoon Yeo Jung "Pachinko Appears on Apple TV Confirmed ... Filming Starts Today (13th)" (Official)

202011131016555767_d.jpg

Actress Yoon Yeo Jeong has joined the global video streaming (OTT) service Apple TV Plus in the drama "Pachinko."

On the 13th, Hook Entertainment revealed to the YTN star that "Yoon Yeo Jung has been cast in 'Pachinko' and has started filming today."

"Pachinko" aims to capture the history of a person through an epic narrative of a family of Korean immigrants spanning four generations, a total of eight chapters with a vast scale and detailed brushstroke. It is a global masterpiece by Japanese and American actors, including Korea, and is slated to be filmed in Canada starting with All Places in Korea on October 26th.

Pachinko, which will chronicle war and peace, love and separation, victory and judgment, traveling back and forth between Korea, Japan and the United States, is produced by Media Reds, author of Su Hugh's Terror and Assassination. Participates as main writer and general producer and showrunner. Specifically, it has been confirmed that Kogonada and former director Justin, famous Korean Americans for their sensational directing, will be in charge of four copies each, and expectations are already rising.

Lee Min Ho was previously hotly debated when he was called "Hansu", a merchant who amassed wealth and power through his relationship with the Yakuza.

YTN Star Reporter Boran Choi (ran613@ytnplus.co.kr)
[Photo credit = OSEN]

https://m.ytn.co.kr/news_view.amp.php?param=0117_202011131016555767&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 8

Youn Yuh Jung will be taking the lead role in the upcoming Apple TV series Pachinko.

20150403113218404350-crop.jpg

According to the actress’s agency Hook Entertainment, Youn Yuh Jung confirmed her appearance as Sun Ja, Pachinko‘s main character. The series takes place from the perspective of Sun Ja, the narrator of the story.

An official from Hook Entertainment added, “Youn Yuh Jung joined the shooting of Pachinko today.”

Based on the New York Times best-selling novel of the same name, the eight-episode drama Parchiko chronicles the hopes and dreams of four generations of a Korean immigrant family. It is expected to be a blockbuster with actors from Korea, America and Japan and will be filmed in Korea and Canada.

Earlier, Lee Min Ho confirmed his appearance in Pachinko.

Meanwhile, Media Res will be producing the drama, while Korean-American Soo Hugh (who oversaw on season one of the AMC anthology The Terror) penned the script.

https://zapzee.net/2020/11/13/youn-yuh-jung-joins-lee-min-ho-in-apple-tv-series-pachinko/

• Like 5

Yoon Yeo Jung joins Lee Min Ho in Pachinko + Apple TV

L6H36FXA6FF4TPZ5HFIZQODKO4.JPG

Renowned actress Yoon Yeo Jung will co-star in the adaptation of the book "Pachinko" for the eight-episode series.
Apple TV + "Pachinko" adds another famous name to its cast. In addition to six talents announced in October, including Lee Min Ho and Kim Min Ha as the main characters, there is an established performer Yoon Yeo Jung.
The actress, who has over 40 years of industry experience, has confirmed to Korean media that she has agreed to co-star in the TV adaptation of the book of the same name.

In the bestselling book by writer Min Jin Lee, the reader travels four generations following the protagonist's family as they migrate from Korea to Japan and finally settle in the United States. All events take place from 1910 to 1989.
The two key characters in the plot are Sunja (daughter of the family) and Hansu, a mysterious merchant. Both have an affair that has implications for the future.

XEEDGBLDBVH7XKPBSD7GIHNS3Q.JPG

Kim Min Ha and Lee Min Ho are part of the Pachinko cast. Photo: Composition / Naver

It has previously been confirmed that Lee Min Ho is interpreterá a Hansu y Kim Min Ha tomará el rol de Sunja. Yoon Yeo Jung, de 73 años, asumirá la versión más adulta del referido personaje.

Yoon Yeo Jung is currently receiving plaudits for her participation in Minari, the winner of the 2020 Sundance Film Festival. Her extensive career also includes the film Canola (2016), in which she plays Kim Go Eun's grandmother.

3SWRNB6WZBCXLMILCE7NDQVYBU.jpg

Rape (2016). Yoon Yeo Jung performs with Kim Go Eun and Choi Minho. Photo: Hancinema

Google translation

https://larepublica.pe/cultura-asiatica/2020/11/13/pachinko-yoon-yeo-jung-se-une-a-lee-min-ho-en-el-drama-de-apple-tv/

• Like 5

I hope this isn't considered off-topic bcuz many of us visit the Pachinko forum for our excitement about LMH’s upcoming role and our interest in Korean history and culture. 

Though scanning Koreaherald and ChosunIlbo mostly daily for some yrs, I discovered a significant cultural resource only today through an op-ed by Lee Kyong-hee, KH’s former editor-in-chief.  Her op-ed tells the story of the translation of modern Korean literature whose timeframe overlaps with Pachinko’s.  (http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20201111000166

Lee's now editorial chief of Koreana, a quarterly magazine of Korean culture and arts, published by the Korea Foundation.  Koreana.or.kr has webzines of recent issues and pdfs of older ones.  Most likely any subject you are interested in has some coverage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do you think there will be adult scenes of Lee Min Ho in the series. I really don’t want to see that. I wish he never does such scenes. I want him to remain as the innocent, cool , handsome lee min ho. Do u really think he is gonna do such scenes in the drama? 

• Like 2

BF.21653176.1.jpg

A global move for seventy-three-year-old potential power Yoon Yeo-jung 

Yoon Yeo-jung is nominated for Best Actress at the Gotham Awards for 'Minari'
She is also a candidate for the Oscar best supporting actress award.

Born in 1947 and debuted in 1966, actor Yoon Yeo-jung is continuing her global career with more activities than ever.

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung was recently nominated for the Best Actress category at the 31st Gotham Awards through the movie "Minari" (director Jung Isaac). The 'Gotham Awards' is the most prestigious independent and artistic film awards ceremony in the United States. "Minari" is a film about a Korean family who went to a farm in Arkansas in pursuit of an American dream in the 1980s. Yoon Yeo-jung plays a grandmother who came to the U.S. to take care of her grandchildren.

The movie "Minari" won two gold medals at the Sundance Film Festival in the United States. 

Minari, which was screened through overseas film festivals, was highly praised. Foreign media have named 'Minari' as the leading candidate for the Major Category of next year's Academy Awards. In particular, due to Yoon Yeo-jung's passionate performance, which shows her as a friendly and warm grandmother, foreign media are expecting her to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. At the 25th Busan International Film Festival held last month, Yoon Yeo-jung said, "I went to a restaurant and a man congratulated me for being nominated for the Academy Award. I said no. I may not be nominated yet. 

Yoon Yeo-jung was also cast in Apple TV+' drama series ' Pachinko', which has a global distribution network. "Pachinko" is an eight-episode series which features the epic history of four generations of Korean immigrant families. The project will be joined by Korean, Japanese and American producers and will be released in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English. It is not known what Yoon Yeo-jung's role is, but "Pachinko" began all-location shooting in South Korea on the 26th of last month, and Yoon Yeo-jung reportedly began filming on the 13th.

Yoon Yeo-jung is still active at the age of 70. In addition, she is active all over the world. The reason why she has been active for such a long time is that she is not afraid of changes and challenges. She has talked several times about her desire for 'other roles' and her passion for acting. At the press conference of "Minari" at the Busan Film Festival last year, she also said, "I didn't want to act as a typical mother or grandmother.".

Yun Yeo-jeong playing various characters is the reason why she is recognized not only in Korea but also around the world.

If she is nominated for the Oscars for "Minari," it would be the first nomination for a Korean actor. Attention is focusing on whether she will be able to deliver the good news of being an Oscar Nominee or even write the history of winning the award.

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/movie/article/2020111368684

Hi @Serene Tales, welcome to the thread. With practically a newbie casted as the teenage Sunja, some think that she may have agreed to do adult scenes. But like you, some LMH fans also do not want to see him doing such scenes. But then again, with all the secrecy in the production, all we could do now is speculate. And hope that the adaptation would do a stellar job in storytelling. :)   

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thank you @syntyche 

I feel really sad right now. It’s not like I will hate him if he do such scenes but for me, nothing about him will be the same anymore. What  I adore the most in him is his cuteness and his innocent smile. Why the hell would he compromise on that? He is already a great actor with a lot of fans. This is so heartbreaking to hear. I was happy that he is going to have a new drama till now. Whatever he does, I will always cheer for him. But this is making me soooooo sad. It’s because he is like family to me. He is a major part in the everyday life of mine. 

Edited by Serene Tales
  • Like 1

news_1605252745_936666_m_1.jpeg

Yoon Yeo-jung is the heroine of Apple TV's Pachinko 

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung will star in the Apple TV Plus series 'Pachinko' as the heroine.

On Wednesday, her agency Hook Entertainment said Yoon Yeo-jung joined the shooting as Sun-ja, the main character of "Pachinko."

"Pachinko" is based on a best-selling novel of the same name written by Korean-American author Lee Min-jin, which features in an eight-episode series the story of four generations of Korean immigrant families.

It is a global masterpiece in which Korean, Japanese and American actors are cast, and it depicts a chronicle of war, peace, love and separation, victory and judgment.

Lee Min-ho was previously cast for "Pachinko," and Ha Jin and Kim Min-ha will also appear.

Writer Su Hugh of "The Terror" and "The Killing" will take part in the production of "Pachinko" as main writer and general director. The release date is still unconfirmed.

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/936666/?sc=Naver

@Serene Tales nothing's been confirmed yet on the details of the adaptation. All we have now are mere speculations of fans. We may have to wait until the actual release of the episodes.

LMH has already made a name for himself and he doesn't need to do such scenes to garner attention. Who knows, the production may do away with such scenes and still tell a good story. Until then, let's be happy that LMH has a promising, upcoming project, and let's look forward to a great performance of the whole cast. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

10 hours ago, Serene Tales said:

Thank you @syntyche 

I feel really sad right now. It’s not like I will hate him if he do such scenes but for me, nothing about him will be the same anymore. What  I adore the most in him is his cuteness and his innocent smile. Why the hell would he compromise on that? He is already a great actor with a lot of fans. This is so heartbreaking to hear. I was happy that he is going to have a new drama till now. Whatever he does, I will always cheer for him. But this is making me soooooo sad. It’s because he is like family to me. He is a major part in the everyday life of mine. 

As much as I understand where you're coming from, I myself wouldn't mind to see LMH in 18+ scenes, as long as it's done in artistic and beautiful way like many top Hollywood actors did on their works. Even many A-lister Korean actors also had done 18+ scenes in their movie projects. I think adult scene if done correctly, it can add to the range of an actor and shows an actor versatility as well. 

Yes many of us discovered LMH from his PG-13 dramas like BOF or The Heirs, but he has grown pass that type of roles, he's now 33 years old actor.  With LMH choosing Pachinko as his next project and will be playing 'unconventional' role as Hansu, I believe he has taken a next step in his career as an actor, this is like the phase 2 of his career. As fans, we need to understand that LMH as a real person is different with the characters that LMH plays as an actor. He will be playing Hansu, a bad guy / a ruthless Yakuza, but he's still the same LMH that we all admire, who is kind to his fans, a sweet and dorky actor. :) 

I am more excited to see LMH portraying Hansu now as he's entering phase 2 of his career and proving his haters wrong by displaying his versatility as an actor.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JoannaID said:

As much as I understand where you're coming from, I myself wouldn't mind to see LMH in 18+ scenes, as long as it's done in artistic and beautiful way like many top Hollywood actors did on their works. Even many A-lister Korean actors also had done 18+ scenes in their movie projects. I think adult scene if done correctly, it can add to the range of an actor and shows an actor versatility as well. 

Yes many of us discovered LMH from his PG-13 dramas like BOF or The Heirs, but he has grown pass that type of roles, he's now 33 years old actor.  With LMH choosing Pachinko as his next project and will be playing 'unconventional' role as Hansu, I believe he has taken a next step in his career as an actor, this is like the phase 2 of his career. As fans, we need to understand that LMH as a real person is different with the characters that LMH plays as an actor. He will be playing Hansu, a bad guy / a ruthless Yakuza, but he's still the same LMH that we all admire, who is kind to his fans, a sweet and dorky actor. :) 

I am more excited to see LMH portraying Hansu now as he's entering phase 2 of his career and proving his haters wrong by displaying his versatility as an actor.

I agree with you. But I really don’t think an 18+ scene is must for an actor to show his versatility. There are a lot more genres to discover. And not all audience will love watching such roles. As much as I love Lee Min Ho, I worry about this a lot. I don’t understand that concept at all because what is so special about acting an 18+ scene? 
As I said, I love him a lot and I will be loving him no matter what. But I really don’t want him to act in such scenes. He has great potential in him and he can showcase them even without such scenes.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, syntyche said:

Yoon Yeo-jung is the heroine of Apple TV's Pachinko 

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung will star in the Apple TV Plus series 'Pachinko' as the heroine.

On Wednesday, her agency Hook Entertainment said Yoon Yeo-jung joined the shooting as Sun-ja, the main character of "Pachinko."

"Pachinko" is based on a best-selling novel of the same name written by Korean-American author Lee Min-jin, which features in an eight-episode series the story of four generations of Korean immigrant families.

It is a global masterpiece in which Korean, Japanese and American actors are cast, and it depicts a chronicle of war, peace, love and separation, victory and judgment.

Lee Min-ho was previously cast for "Pachinko," and Ha Jin and Kim Min-ha will also appear.

Writer Su Hugh of "The Terror" and "The Killing" will take part in the production of "Pachinko" as main writer and general director. The release date is still unconfirmed.

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/936666/?sc=Naver

so its confirmed that she will play old sunja right? i guess as other minoz said the story will be narated by her just like titanic

5 hours ago, Serene Tales said:

I agree with you. But I really don’t think an 18+ scene is must for an actor to show his versatility. There are a lot more genres to discover. And not all audience will love watching such roles. As much as I love Lee Min Ho, I worry about this a lot. I don’t understand that concept at all because what is so special about acting an 18+ scene? 
As I said, I love him a lot and I will be loving him no matter what. But I really don’t want him to act in such scenes. He has great potential in him and he can showcase them even without such scenes.

i completely agree with you. an 18+ scene has nothing to do with an actor's versatility. they can be done by the worst actor in the industry and still be viewed just as an 18+ scene. as you said lmh can prove his acting skills without it at all and by just playing different and contreversial characters such as hansu. but if he ends up doing it then ill just skip the scene and pretend as if it didnt happen at all. i hope he doesnt do it

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, JoannaID said:

Por mais que eu entenda de onde você vem, eu mesmo não me importaria em ver LMH em mais de 18 cenas, contanto que seja feito de uma forma artística e bonita como muitos atores importantes de Hollywood fizeram em seus trabalhos. Mesmo muitos atores coreanos famosos também fizeram mais de 18 cenas em seus projetos de filmes. Acho que a cena adulta, se feita corretamente, pode aumentar o alcance de um ator e mostra a versatilidade de um ator também. 

Sim, muitos de nós descobrimos LMH de seus dramas PG-13 como BOF ou The Heirs, mas ele cresceu passando por esse tipo de papéis, ele agora é ator de 33 anos. Com LMH escolhendo Pachinko como seu próximo projeto e interpretando um papel 'não convencional' como Hansu, eu acredito que ele deu um próximo passo em sua carreira como ator, esta é como a fase 2 de sua carreira. Como fãs, precisamos entender que LMH como uma pessoa real é diferente com os personagens que LMH interpreta como ator. Ele interpretará Hansu, um cara mau / um Yakuza implacável, mas ele ainda é o mesmo LMH que todos nós admiramos, que é gentil com seus fãs, um ator doce e idiota.:) 

Estou mais animado para ver LMH retratando Hansu agora que ele está entrando na fase 2 de sua carreira e provando que seus odiadores estão errados, exibindo sua versatilidade como ator.

Hello everybody!

I always follow the topics about Lee Min Ho but this is the first time I comment on it.

Agreed.

I felt a little disappointed with the speech of some fans who are uncomfortable with the possibility of Minho acting in scenes +16, +18 ....

Seriously !!! MinHo is an incredible and talented actor. He's not an "INNOCENT" teen actor, OH My GAAD !!!

He is a 33 year old, mature, handsome and hot adult actor. He has evolved since BOF and his characters follow this evolution. He's not going to make cute characters forever!

We want to see you outside your comfort zone, as in Gangnam for example. There's nothing cute and innocent about him in Gangnam !! It was amazing, killer !!!

The book factor narrating scenes +18, does not mean that there will be adult scenes in the series. However, if the scene is relevant for telling the story, then, perhaps, we will see it in this type of scene. Making an adult scene is not disparaging. On the contrary, it enriches its field of action. It is not easy for them and they need to be very well directed.

An example was the drama The World Of Married, which was a success and set a record audience in Korea. Most of the scenes in this drama were rated +18.

If there are +18 scenes in Pachinko, I hope the actors are very well directed and that they shine within the context of the plot.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

28 minutes ago, Lucy2020 said:

Hello everybody!

I always follow the topics about Lee Min Ho but this is the first time I comment on it.

Agreed.

I felt a little disappointed with the speech of some fans who are uncomfortable with the possibility of Minho acting in scenes +16, +18 ....

Seriously !!! MinHo is an incredible and talented actor. He's not an "INNOCENT" teen actor, OH My GAAD !!!

He is a 33 year old, mature, handsome and hot adult actor. He has evolved since BOF and his characters follow this evolution. He's not going to make cute characters forever!

We want to see you outside your comfort zone, as in Gangnam for example. There's nothing cute and innocent about him in Gangnam !! It was amazing, killer !!!

The book factor narrating scenes +18, does not mean that there will be adult scenes in the series. However, if the scene is relevant for telling the story, then, perhaps, we will see it in this type of scene. Making an adult scene is not disparaging. On the contrary, it enriches its field of action. It is not easy for them and they need to be very well directed.

An example was the drama The World Of Married, which was a success and set a record audience in Korea. Most of the scenes in this drama were rated +18.

If there are +18 scenes in Pachinko, I hope the actors are very well directed and that they shine within the context of the plot.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

hi there welcome to the thread. i just want to clarify that me saying i dont want to see him do 18+ scenes doesnt mean i want him to play cute characters

my point is that mature acting is not all about 18+ scenes. there are plenty of characters that require that kind of acting without it. and great actors such as leo dicaprio/ lee byung hun etc... prove that cause they are known to the audience by their great portrayl of the characters not by 18+ scenes. so were their characters cute because they didnt do 18+ scenes in all of them? ofcourse no they are the most known to have played mature characters. 

however as i said i dont really have a problem with him doing them or not cause eventuallly i will skip them. i just prefer if he doesnt

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lupeace said:

hi there welcome to the thread. i just want to clarify that me saying i dont want to see him do 18+ scenes doesnt mean i want him to play cute characters

my point is that mature acting is not all about 18+ scenes. there are plenty of characters that require that kind of acting without it. and great actors such as leo dicaprio/ lee byung hun etc... prove that cause they are known to the audience by their great portrayl of the characters not by 18+ scenes. so were their characters cute because they didnt do 18+ scenes in all of them? ofcourse no they are the most known to have played mature characters. 

however as i said i dont really have a problem with him doing them or not cause eventuallly i will skip them. i just prefer if he doesnt

Thank you.

I understand and agree.

Someone commented: I would like MinHo to remain "as the innocent, cool, handsome" ...

This is the point: Portraying adult characters does not mean that you will have to do +18 scenes. But if the scene is relevant to the HITORIA and its CHARACTER, there is no problem, as there will be a context for that.

The Dicaprio you mentioned, he starred in a man who only thinks about money, drugs and sex in Martin Scorsese's comedy in The Wolf of Wall Street. For this role he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Musical / Comedy Film. And yes, he did +18 scenes in this film. This was not disparaging within the context of the film.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

22 hours ago, syntyche said:

@Serene Tales nothing's been confirmed yet on the details of the adaptation. All we have now are mere speculations of fans. We may have to wait until the actual release of the episodes.

LMH has already made a name for himself and he doesn't need to do such scenes to garner attention. Who knows, the production may do away with such scenes and still tell a good story. Until then, let's be happy that LMH has a promising, upcoming project, and let's look forward to a great performance of the whole cast. :)

The story has Hansu and Sunja having a physical relationship.  They can't not show that scene of them making love.  American dramas are more explicit especially when it is cable TV, you see nudity. There will definitely be a sex scene but how explicit is the question.  They may show Sunja topless.  For Hansu, definitely topless but not sure if they will show more than that.  It is possible there won't be nudity, depending on if they want a +18 or not.  However, we must be prepared to see LMH in a different light, not cute and innocent.  Definitely not innocent when he is Yakuza. LMH will always be cute though :joy:

On 11/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, CarolynH said:

That makes sense @syntyche.  Otherwise, if she was to portray old Sanju in real time, they would be at the end of the novel.  The only other older person (I'm only halfway through the book) would be Sanju's mother.  

She was in Dear My Friends?  OMG, one of my top 10 kdramas.  I loved it.

lol, that made me laugh @Nikaa94:lol:  At least we are prepared knowing we may not see him as much as we'd like, unlike LMH's last drama which was a total shock, at least to me, that he was not a prominent character until the end.  

I had already said in the beginning , reading Wikipedia, I figure Hansu would not be prominent in all 8 episodes

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I'm (still -lol) only halfway through the book, and so far, there's only one scene with Hansu that would be 18+ category.  I think it would be relatively easy not to show that particular scene.  But that being said, for me personally, if the decision is to shoot the 18+ scene, I know that is actor LMH, and not LMH, so it wouldn't bother me.  But, I do acknowledge what you are saying @Serene Tales.  And, remember also that LMH didn't write that scene, Min jin Lee wrote it.  

• Like 7
  • Love 2