[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Sleepless Princess 离人心上

sugarplum892

I watched Episode 19 earlier but was caught up with some stuff. Aww man this one had all the feels. Our princess is still ever the awesome character though. We just need XY to step up now.

Episode 19 Recap:

The episode starts with the preview scene where CY was in the garden with TY and TY says she's so different now. 

SNN comes to visit CY, though she's also here because of the divorce agreement that she took that night. NN is glad that she's fine, though she expresses it in a rather awkward manner (since they're not yet friends-!). CY praises her skills while NN compares CY to a weak, little quail. But to the serious business, NN wonders if they really want a divorce because she recognises XY's handwriting. CY tells her that she can ask XY herself if she really wants to know what he thinks - but for her, "Though we may write 180 faults of each other, when trouble comes, we'll still never abandon each other." NN argues that XY saved her first that night, but CY says XY has been with her even since she left the palace, even assigning guards. But NN finds it strange because there were NO guards in the critical areas when she came that night. She plucks a branch (CY grimaces) and draws the plan on the ground. CY remembers how different XY was that day, complimenting her excessively and starts to suspect that she has been used as bait (no hoodwinking our girl!). She says so to NN, although she doesn't think that XY would be such a selfish person. NN says that the lack of guards must be XY's plan; CY decides to take her own advice and ask XY directly. XC observes this in the distance, ready to offer backup if CY needs it.

XY is in the family shrine room. Mr Bai comes in with the monthly compensation offered by the government for XM's death (it says 500 taels or the currency unit). XY scoffs that they're punctual, but that his brother's life is worth so little. When CY approaches, XY asks why she's come and she says, "Your family is my family." She recognises one of his ancestors, General Xue Yi Shan. XY tells her that he was instrumental in subduing unrest but was gravely injured, and he died before he could conquer Xi Zhao. Then his parents lost and died in the battle of Hong Shui, and went from being national heroes to defeated soldiers. She comforts him, saying that he accomplished their desire. She sees his brother's plaque and asks which battle he died in. XY says that XM was a Royal Guard, and (basically the official story) he died in the fire of Ying Hua Palace (the Royal Palace has many smaller palaces - so this is one of them) trying to protect three of the royal family's plaques. XY says that after his parents died, his brother was not only his brother but also his father, his most precious family - but unfortunately, he's gone too. XY takes his hand and says "If you don't mind, my family can be your family too. I still have XC, and Father (the King)" (ACK... totally not what he wants to hear). XY removes his hand at that and asks to be alone. She remembers what she came for, but can't bring herself to ask him in the face of his sadness. 

CY goes to visit Aunt, who's still unconscious. Apparently she's been coming every day, taking care of her and talking to her. She's told her secret to Aunt as well - about becoming an animal due to the Birth Stone. Now she brings her latest problem to Aunt - she doesn't know how XY feels about her. This bit is from one of the earlier trailers (?)- she says that when he saved her at the cliff, she understood that he must love her; only when you love someone would you sacrifice for that person. Only when when you love someone, would you be willing to accept all her weaknesses. She says that every one in the palace thought she was cursed; she only started living as a normal person after meeting XY. Although she does think that the Ling Xi Court incident is strange, she chooses not to suspect him unless he tells her so himself (heart getting squeezed here...). CY sings Aunt the lullaby... Aunt slips into a memory of when the boys were younger - she starts showing signs of waking up.

NN is getting LJ drunk so that she can question him about the Ling Xi Court incident. LJ spills the beans after some prodding. NN can't believe that XY would do such a thing; she is so angry on CY's behalf and goes to confront him. She says that he shouldn't have used CY as bait since she doesn't know any martial arts, that it was so dangerous. XY wonders why she's upset on CY's behalf (anyone would be! :wacko: But also yay! beginning of a friendship there I see...) but she says she's upset for herself. She reminds him of the XY that she knew, but XY corrects her image of him, telling her to think of how he was the General successful at conquering Xi Zhao when so many before him had failed. He admits that everything was his plan, that it was a trap. XY says that he will explain to CY himself and NN leaves angrily, disappointed in him.

XY goes to CY in Aunt's room. She holds his hand, asking if he has something to tell her. He admits to her that her being taken captive was because of his plan. She slowly lets go of his hand (:tears:) while he can't look at her. She carefully asks, "I guess... you must have had your reasons. But I want to know - the dress, the parade, the fireworks - were any of it real?", desperately hoping... XY looks at her and grounds out, "It was all part of the plan". Disappointed now, CY looks down, "So you never had any real feelings for me... and everything that happened at the bottom of the cliff - was that all because of your guilt and pity for me?" XY grabs her hands (hey! that's a first) and says that there are many things he can't explain right now; but when he's done, she can punish him however she wants. NN comes in and leads CY away, saying that she'll take her out and have fun.

XY looks miserable as he remembers what happened that night (AH! HE REMEMBERS! The kiss and everything!). He asks, "Aunt, what should I do?"

The trio of CY, NN and XC are drinking at a street stall. XC wonders where she will return for the night. CY doesn't know what to do, but thinks she shouldn't go home to Xue Manor - since XY tricked her so badly. NN declares that she's right, and that she's going to be on CY's side from now on lol. (Yay! CY needs a girlfriend who will be on her side! and NN can fight too!) XC also wonders why she's so good to CY now. NN says that she got to see XY's true colours because of CY; she thinks CY is a more tragic, unfortunate version of herself HAHA.

Meanwhile, Aunt finally wakes up and immediately demands to see XY. She orders him to kneel when he comes in. She rebukes him for behaving terribly towards CY, who has also had a hard life like him. She tells him to get her back (she's truly accepted CY into the family). XY doesn't think she'll come back but Aunt says CY has nowhere else to go. Aunt heard NN taking CY out and tells him to get her back before she gets into trouble.

LJ shows up to take drunk NN home, carrying her. CY thinks of all the times XY carried her the same way and wonders if she should trust him. 

Preview scene of XY waiting outside his house for CY while pretending he's not. 

XC sees CY sitting pensively and asks if she's missing XY. He tells her that he wanted to break down Xue Manor when he found out, but he held himself back because XY is her husband, and his brother-in-law. CY says that if anyone breaks down Xue Manor, it would be her. CY says, "That's right, he's my husband (in Chinese it is "Zhang Fu" and the word "Zhang" can also mean "war") but in the "war" sense. In a war, the moment you turn your back, you have to be prepared that someone might strike you on the back. He's struck me once now, so he must take the responsibility of putting ointment on me so that I can strike him back." (Aww... CY is so amazing. She knows that she trusted him and trust inherently can be broken.. but she's also willing to give him a chance.) XC sadly asks if no one else can put the ointment on for her. He tells her not to go back, that she can make a new choice and abandon XY now. But CY says that she already has feelings for him. 

CY resolutely gets up. "This is annoying. I must trust him. I don't believe he doesn't have feelings for me." She marches home.

XY quickly turns to go in when he sees her coming back, telling his servant to mind his tongue. CY thinks she saw him but of course the servant says no. CY decides not to sleep in XY's room and tells TY to get her things. 

XY wonders why she came back, "She must hate me now." TY comes to get her pillow and blanket; XY asks if CY said anything. TY answers no. XY takes the pillow and blanket and from TY and they go to CY's room to see her tying a noose around her neck... - End of Episode.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

My heart breaks for CY, she is so mature and forgiving, after the dungeon and using her as a bait. She always try to understand his reasons and feelings. I wish XY could also understand her better.

Spoiler

I wonder will they really get divorce? And why did XY follow her to the palace? To guard her there or to see the emperor regarding the divorce?

How did the emperor find out about the birth stone?

ARGH Episode 20 was so hard to watch. Internally I kept saying "No no no no noNOOOOOooo!!" So heartbreaking, especially when they're so rational about it. Oh my heart :tears:

Episode 20 Recap:

Preview scene where XY thinks she's trying to kill herself. TY asks if the princess wants to explain herself but XY doesn't give her a chance. He says that yes, he used her, and he would do the same even if he had another chance. He tells her that she can leave if she's unhappy, but not to mess around with her life. She gently pokes him with the awl and explains that she's merely trying not to fall asleep and have nightmares. He realises his overreaction (his expression is so fun to watch) and picks her up over his shoulders, marching off to his room. TY wishes the Princess, "Have a good night's sleep" HAHA.

CY struggles to be put down, calling him a b*stard. He puts her down on his bed and closes the door. Preview scene where he asks why she came back. He asks, "Doesn't it bother you?" She says, "Of course it does. It bothers me that you didn't explain it to me at the start. And then after it you never came to apologise. If NN didn't tell me, I would have been kept in the dark. NN said it's because you were investigating your brother's death - is that right?" XY doesn't answer. CY asks again, "Is that right? I'm giving you one last chance!" He says that it has nothing to do with her and he doesn't want to get her involved, "If you trust me, don't ask about this again." CY considers it and says "Fine, I'll trust you one last time." (Our girl has such a big heart.) She pretends to turn her head away though it's hard to keep herself from smiling. XY picks up the rope and ties it around their hands, telling her to sleep on the bed while he sleeps on the floor. She lies down and throws him a pillow, smiling as she closes her eyes. 

After a while, Mr Bai comes to wake XY, saying that Aunt was looking for him. They go to the shrine room - and CY follows at a distance. Aunt asks XY about XM's death, knowing that he's investigating. XY says he'll tell her when he's done, but Aunt is concerned that if he keeps digging, it will endanger the lives of the whole Xue clan. She orders Mr. Bai to start, and he says that they discovered that XM's death has to do with the royal family and the matter of the alleged affair with Lady Yun. XY says that they will know the truth once they catch the assassins (he's done that and not found out anything - I think he needs a new phrase now). Aunt is concerned about CY - she truly likes her and thinks she's wonderful. She asks XY what he intends to do if he really discovers that the King was involved - if he hasn't got a plan, they can only get a divorce. XY argues that they treasure each other, and that CY holds the same importance to him as does XM (GASP. I'm surprised he said this though I don't doubt his feelings. His actions hasn't matched up to this though.) He begs Aunt not to bring up divorce again. XY tries to reassure her that he will handle it, and not get CY involved (this isn't possible, you silly man). Aunt says she doesn't want it to happen either but "If it becomes difficult for you to see each other, how will you live under the same roof?" XY doesn't have an answer. CY hears all this from outside and realises what XY isn't telling her. 

CY goes back to her room, waking TY. She asks TY about the story they read about two people who fell in love then discovered they were mortal enemies - how did they end up? TY replies that they killed themselves. CY asks about another one - TY says they left their home and families and eloped. CY wonders if there isn't a better way for XY and herself, and starts sobbing quietly. :tears:

In the Evil Hooded Man's lair, Tang Ben is lying on the ground, begging for the antidote to the poison. Evil Master wants to know if he can still capture CY, and TB says it's hard as long as she's in Xue Manor. Evil Master throws him a note to bring to the King and gives him the antidote. (OH NO he's going to get her out of that house!)

In the palace, the King is having a nightmare - likely a memory of CY's father, the previous Diviner. The King was holding the Birth Stone and questioning the crack in it, wanting CY's Dad to repair it. CY's dad says that he already used 11 chances to change the future, and the country is at peace. He wants to retire and be with his daughter. The King says, "I see that instead of caring for my kingdom, you care more for the little baby at home." (Erm... Duh? This King is eeevil - even if he may not have killed XM). CY's father says he was unable to be home and his wife died in labour. He says that the King will be fine as long as he governs well - which angers the King. The King draws a sword at his chest, asking if he will continue using the Stone's power to help him. Rather than constantly being threatened, CY's father decides to end it - he plunges forward on the sword (:crazy: OMG The King caused CY's dad to die! She actually might have a common enemy with XY! Ahh how awful for her though!) The King can't believe he'd rather die - he brings in little baby CY, and tells Dad that he will raise her instead and have her serve him until she gives up her life. Dad rages, "You tyrant! I curse you to eternal damnation!" before he dies. 

The King wakes up and goes to CY's dad's plaque, lighting the incense. The Head Eunuch thinks that the King is doing so good by the Diviner, raising his daughter and remembering him for so long (*facepalm*). They spot the note (!!) which says "The Birth Stone is inside Chu Yue's body." They wonder if CY has been hiding it all these years.

NN ponders outside the King's study. She thinks that XY is mistreating CY and wants to get her out of the situation - so she's trying to give the divorce agreements to the King (Nooooo). She sees the Head Eunuch and purposely bumps into him, slipping the agreements into the documents for the King.

I'm going to break this up because I think it's going to be too long again....

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 5

@suzy0604 Do you mean in the preview when he goes to the palace? That's his current position - he asked the King to be the Royal Guard, just like his brother. And of course, he will make sure to pass by Jin Que (Golden Peacock) Palace, where CY lives -_-

Episode 20 Recap Part 2:

The King is wondering about the truth of the note. Head Eunuch suggests they can bring CY back but the King can't act rashly since she's XY's wife now. He sees the divorce agreements and laughs, immediately declaring his approval of the documents. (NOOOOOooo) He orders Head Eunuch to make the pronouncement and bring CY back right away.

CY is summoned by Aunt and she happily hugs her. Aunt apologises for her previous misunderstandings and behaviour towards CY. XY rushes in and grabs CY back to his side, wondering why Aunt called her. Aunt teases him for being so afraid. XY holds CY's hand (I like this pattern) and promises to take care of her in future, as well as the Xue family. 

Of course at this moment, the Head Eunuch arrives (ARRRRGHHHHH). They all kneel down to hear the pronouncement, which shocks them. Head Eunuch mentions that it was their own writing, and CY thinks, "But I didn't.." Just before she takes the decree, XY calls a pause and takes her outside. 

(This bit is sooo sad :tears:) XY asks if she gave the divorce agreement. CY says she didn't, it was NN. XY moves to explain to the Eunuch but CY stops to ask him a question, "What will you do if you find out that Father was involved with your brother's death?" He replies, "I haven't decided." He moves closer, "But please promise me, no matter who's right in the end, you wouldn't get involved." She says that one is his beloved brother, the other is the father who raised her, "Do you think either of us could stay out of this?" (EXACTLY my point. But also, CY needs to know about how HER dad died now.) XY asks if she overheard his conversation with Aunt last night and she says yes. She continues, "Even if Father wronged the world, he still brought me up. When I couldn't walk, he held my hand. Because I treasure such a relationship, I can understand your pain. I know how good you are. In future we..." "That's enough", XY says as he seems to grasp the inevitable.

CY goes on, "Think about it. If your brother's death really has to do with Father, wouldn't Father be afraid that all your family would find out? Wouldn't all of you be afraid that Father would use me to restrain you? Can we still be a family?" (Noooo.... :tears:) She says, "Perhaps Aunt is right. Divorce might be the best solution to our situation." XY looks at her and she turns to leave. "Chu Yue, do you remember we said a month?" CY, with tears now, says, "I've been doing as you said all this while. This time, it's my turn" and walks away. CY sits in her room as they pack up around her. It's so sad that they're both unwilling but there's nothing they can do. Both of them think of all the times they spent together. 

XC is at the entrance as CY prepares to go. She asks Mr. Bai if XY is coming, but Mr. Bai just says that he's busy, which XC scoffs at. CY says, "It's alright. Please tell him - thank you for being my husband. Sorry for all the trouble." They get on the palanquin and leave.

XY gets up and comes out, getting on his horse. Meanwhile, XC asks the Eunuch if he might ask the King to let CY stay at his place. Head Eunuch says that it would not be possible - the King misses her (blergh), times are different, the Princess will be going back to have a good life - XC registers this as odd. In the palanquin, TY tells CY to cry if she wants to. CY says no, "I decided to leave. I decided to let him have his wish. This was all just a beautiful dream... and we're just going back to where we were."

XY and Mr. Bai come up behind them at a distance. Mr. Bai relays CY's message and wonders if she left so as not to trouble XY. XY replies, "Our mistake was that we should never have had feelings for each other. Once we had feelings, we gave others a weakness to catch onto. She knows that she is just a pawn; she just doesn't want to make it difficult for me." (WHY are you both so rational ARGHHH). 

XY decides to accompany her from behind because the assassins have not been caught. Surely enough, TB and his men are hiding out in the woods by the path they're passing. TB is annoyed that XY is still here despite their divorce, but thinks they'll have plenty of chances once CY is no longer in Xue Manor. 

Dong Shi brings the King medicine to help soothe his nightmares. The King declares that he doesn't want soothing, he wants to get to the root of the problem. DS is dismissed. The King is about to take it but the Eunuch stops him, and prompts the servants to always test the medicine before the King has it. He reminds the King to be careful of anyone related to the previous Diviner. - End of Episode.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3

:cries3: I can' t get over this ep! Why are they so tragic!! And now wait until next week. The only thing that this drama is too much is this divorce, they put too easy a divorce decree, would be better  a time father-daugther, the king can on check on her, with that excuse. 

• Sad 1

@angelflower nope, I mean why he decided to follow her carriages from behind, but you already explain it in the recaps, he is there to protect and escort her back. I had wish he follow them to persuade the emperor regarding the divorce. But, he is being very rational about it, and it suck!

I know that XY is torn, but his is so confusing right now. His words are so hurtful to CY when he said he still would make the same choice, knowing very well what happen and CY could have lost her life, but at the same time he said to his aunt that CY is very precious to him like his brother. You are right about his words doesnt match his actions.

I hope XC or XY will find out about CY father's dead soon, so the evil emperor could not use CY. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Jessica Vargas Rubio said:

Hay una o 2 escenas donde CY aparece supuestamente con XY en un bote caminando, es XM o es XY, tal vez son escenas de los últimos capítulos !!!:pensive:

Pero es q cuando pusieron a XM en el ep 15 o 16 era otro actor. 

• Like 1

Thank you for spending your time to write the recap @angelflower !

I'm ok with they being separated for a moment so our general can get how it feel to miss his wife. He need that so he can step up in their relationship. And although they are not live together in the house anymore, he still accompany her at her bed and also give her kiss (yay!)

But I confused with the "he felt torn because of the reason his brother's death" plot.

After this separation their feeling especially our general, will be more deeper than before, so I guess he will proposed and they want to have a real marriage hence the scene with her wearing wedding costume again later. 

Then at that moment the real reason of his brother's death will be revealed? That's why he pushed and throw the paper at her?

But she said in one of the mv that been translated here 'I don't know your brother" so it kinda not fair for him to be mad at her right? Then they will separated again:crybaby: 

And then he has to marry the foreign princess:sad1:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, yessica vargas rubio said:

Douyin more of 720 millon views in mangtotv 504.5 m views and has been bought by south korea:2540_meh:

Congratulations to the team.  Hope to see the two leads in another drama.  They are so cute together.  Without their chemistry this drama wouldn't be this delightful.

• Like 3

Now that IOTNBO has finished, I've got nothing to look forward to on the weekends... I've been watching the BTS of this drama, which is always fun. Maybe I'll translate some of them since BTS almost never gets subbed (unless they have massive fan clubs).

This is the "Turn-Hug" - and about the lifting the men have to do haha:

Hu Yi Xuan (HYX): You get to carry me again!

Caption on Zheng Ye Cheng (ZYC)'s face: "Fear"

Caption: "I need some peace and quiet."

HYX: You get to carry me again!

ZYC: (facepalms) "Bowing his head to life"

Director demonstrates carrying FL up and saying the dialogue.

ZYC: I'm saying it while carrying her?!

Caption: "Shocked once more"

Director: Of course! How else did you think it was going to be?

ZYC: I won't be able to say it!

ZYC "prepares himself": Right, come on.

He carries HYX and turns after Yang Lin (Xing Chen) grabs him. 

Everyone claps because he manages the high-difficulty move in one go. 

YL: The waist! Is her waist alright?

HYX immediately collapses. LOL ZYC stumbles off holding his waist. 

YL/ Caption calls him XC: Are you sweating after carrying her a little?

ZYC and HYX shush him. HYX: Can you spare me some dignity?

YL: Let me try. (He lifts HYX with a painful expression.)

Caption: "Overestimated his own ability"

HYX: We still have a month to go. Think carefully (of what you want to say).

Bit where Zhou Da Wei (LJ) carries Huang Can Can (NN). 

Caption: "Keeps sliding down" "Finally touches the ground"

CC: I was so scared I was going to fall down!

ZDW: No, you weren't! 

HYX/HCC: What's with these men?

HCC: Yea, don't they work out?

--------------------

Haha the male actors really have to build up stamina lifting the female leads. Seen this in so many BTS of C-dramas now.

On a separate topic - I've been thinking that the actor who plays Xing Chen, Yang Lin, reminded me of someone and I couldn't place my finger on it - and I suddenly got it just now when I Googled his name - he reminds me of Hu Yi Tian! What do you guys think? I don't mean they look exactly the same... though I feel like they are very similar - tall and lanky (especially if you look at him in normal, modern garb) and they give me the same vibe...

Edit: I looked it up and apparently Chinese media/ netizens think he looks like Zhu Yi Long - I'm unfamiliar with this actor. I do agree they have even more similar looks... but I don't think they have the same vibe, maybe because ZYL is older. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and I like this one which shows the pre-production of the drama. The speed at which this was done is quite amazing to be honest - the date they started filming was in February and we're watching it just half a year later. 

There's also another line or two of spoiler dialogue in this.

Filming start date: 26 February 2020

They show the main production team reading the script. Then the building of Jin Que Palace (CY's palace).

Man: Because of COVID-19, we were unable to film smoothly. But because of it, we gained extra time to analyse, examine the script.

Director: We had a group chat to discuss (the script).

(They are introducing the cast's names.)

HYX: "You are the great General Xue. You shouldn't be my pillow - whatever happens to me has nothing to do with you. Stop getting yourself involved."

ZYC: "If I don't come, you will die."

(First rehearsal)

HYX: At first in my relationship with him (XY), I took the initiative. 

HYX (picks and puts down an object) as CY: "I was only curious, why are you getting angry?"

Peng Bi Yao (the foreign princess Na Xi): There's basically just one main point - I/ Na Xi just wants Xue Yao to be with me, to leave with me. 

HCC and ZDW (I think we saw this scene in... Ep 19)

HCC: This cup is in apology to you. I'll drink it in one shot.

(Period/ Ancient Etiquette Lessons)

Teacher: Point your toes downward. Sit. Bow. Now rise.

(Action Lessons)

Coach: One, two, three - point. Turn around - go!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, angelflower said:

On a separate topic - I've been thinking that the actor who plays Xing Chen, Yang Lin, reminded me of someone and I couldn't place my finger on it - and I suddenly got it just now when I Googled his name - he reminds me of Hu Yi Tian! What do you guys think? I don't mean they look exactly the same... though I feel like they are very similar - tall and lanky (especially if you look at him in normal, modern garb) and they give me the same vibe...

Edit: I looked it up and apparently Chinese media/ netizens think he looks like Zhu Yi Long - I'm unfamiliar with this actor. I do agree they have even more similar looks... but I don't think they have the same vibe, maybe because ZYL is older.

LOL I was going to say that I kept seeing Zhu Yi Long in Xing Chen and sometimes (esp when Chu Yue smiles) Yang Rong. I don't see the resemblance to Hu Yi Tian.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, angelflower said:

Oh and I like this one which shows the pre-production of the drama.....

Wow... the fact that they continued filming while Covid-19 was peaking (in China) must be quite stressful. I mean, there is a substantial amount of kissing scenes there...

Anyway, this drama may not be in the same level of Nirvana in Fire or 10 Miles, but it is a really fun and cute drama. I personally feel this isn't the best work of the ML - maybe because he's usually playing a cheerful character, but this might be a breakthrough for the FL who I think excels in sad scenes. Her teary eyed look is quite pretty and genuine looking, I think.

It is nice to watch a drama that doesn't really have big names. One can simply enjoy it without having too much expectation.

• Like 2