[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Sleepless Princess 离人心上

sugarplum892

@enzek Yea I believe either he tells her or she finds out - because XC realises at the end of Ep 18. In Ep 17, he wanted to tell her but Mr. Bai stopped him. He didn't want to lie to her. 

I watched Ep 17 and 18 and I have to say something - at this point, I officially like Chu Yue more than Xue Yao! (That's saying something about the writing of her character, and the actress for brilliantly portraying her). Girl is so amazing! B) She's brave, resourceful, loyal and honest. She may be rescued by XY time and time again, but she rescues him at the same time as well. She's way ahead of XY in the relationship just because she's so awesome - she recognises her own feelings and owns up to them - no need for denial and all that.

I'll just add on to what @WinCee recapped earlier. 

Episode 17 Additional Recap/ Comments:

-It does seem indeed that the comatose lady is Lady Yun. I don't think black hooded Evil Master is XM; I think XM is definitely dead - in fact Evil Master and minion referred to XY visiting his brother's grave. I think Evil Master is the one who was having an affair with Lady Yun, especially since we know that the one XM liked was CY. XM may have found out and gotten killed in the process. I agree that it seems like perhaps the King wasn't the one who killed XM... unless Evil Master tried to throw suspicion off himself and manipulated the King into thinking that XM was having an affair with Lady Yun. But the fact that he wants XY to think so seems to indicate it wasn't the King after all. 

- To elaborate on the assassins - they are all "kamikaze" assassins, or "suicide assassins" - basically they do everything Evil Master orders because they all are poisoned and will die without EM's antidote, dispensed regularly. Also they are ordered to kill themselves if caught - which is why XY still hasn't gotten anywhere with them.

- I thought Tang Ben was Evil Master's name, but actually Evil Master called the head assassin that. Which means... Evil Master must be from a noble family.

- I also felt so bad for CY because she was so happy that XY arranged such a grand event for her birthday. Everyone was talking about them because she had never gotten such attention even though she's a princess. 

- Among the crowd, there is a beggar who looks at the procession. He is the one the assassins are looking for - they believe he has the 2nd part of the book EM wants. He slips away as he notices Tang Ben (who had previously approached him in searching). 

- LJ wanted to learn swordsmanship so XY introduced him to his master, who is also Su Nan Nan's master. The master assigns SNN to teach LJ since she's the most senior. The noise of the procession attract them out - SNN sees the dress that XY gave CY.

- They arrive at Ling Xi Court, the finest summer house in the city. It had belonged to a noble man from Bei Ze. XY says that he saved many people when he conquered Xi Zhao; among them were the man's wife and children. He was so thankful that he gave this house to XY. XY gives the house to CY as a gift.

- SNN decides to wear the same dress as CY because she thinks XY likes it. She appears at the pavilion as CY practices her speech - she finds CY hilarious for pretending to be XY and grabs the divorce agreement to tease her. The assassins appear and SNN immediately jumps into warrior mode (yes! so much better than lovesick mode). CY can't imagine that SNN will protect her, but NN says that CY can't fight. She tells CY to get help while she fights them off.

- XY comes looking for CY and realises that she's in trouble - he finds NN and grabs her at first, thinking she's CY. He quickly lets go and runs to find CY. 

- XC comes to Xue Manor (I guess he must have been keeping tabs on CY all the while). He accuses XY of not protecting CY and makes a bet. If he finds CY first, he'll take her away and never return. XY challenges him if he has the ability to do so. 

- CY tries to leave stuff behind, like her accessories, as clues so that XY can find her. XC picks it up. But eventually it is XY who finds her tied to a tree over a cliff.

- Tang Ben is holding on to the rope that is holding CY. XY knows that Tang Ben has orders not to kill CY so he questions him as he demands for the rope. TB says that XY is very much like his brother.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Episode 18 Additional Recap/ Comments:

-The other assassins attack XY who manages to defend and grab the rope from TB. XY points the sword at TB and asks, "Tell me! How did my brother die? Why do you want to capture CY?" TB tells XY that none of them are afraid of death since they're all suicide assassins. XY says that he will find out his master from his tattoo (ARGH you shouldn't have said that!)- which causes TB to grab his sword and slash his chest (so marring the tattoo). The level of devotion makes XY wonder if his master is the King. TB laughs and doesn't answer either way. He throws a knife and cuts the rope, causing CY to free fall. XY drops his sword and jumps after her. 

- They land on the bottom, a bit winded. XY embraces CY tightly, saying that it was his fault. CY doesn't realise, and just says that if he hadn't saved her previously, she wouldn't be alive now. She starts to confess, "Actually, I already..." when a snake attacks. XY fends it off and gets bitten. He tells her that he's fine but CY says that she won't let him die, and sucks the poison out. (This parallels Ep 1 when XY also sucked out poison from her collar bone). He gets dizzy, "Why do you... never... listen..." and faints.

- They are sheltering in a cave. XY is unconscious meaning our Princess did everything (see what I mean!) She's dragged him to a safe place, made a fire and also made a poultice for his hand. As she  tends to him, she hears animal noises. She's afraid, and I think more to calm herself, she starts reassuring XY and sings the lullaby, holding herself together. After a while, she also digs out the powder that was muting the bell on her foot - she thinks that the bell will help XY's men find them.

- Adding to the dream bit, after the King decides to marry XC and CY and they stand together, CY asks XC who XY is (gasp- what a nightmare for XY lol). XC asks CY to call him "Ge Ge" (which in this sense, literally means older brother. And obviously because XC was her younger brother - but if he was older, he would naturally have been able to take care of her. Of course, like @WinCee mentioned, it can also have the meaning like "oppa" in Korean). CY whispers "Xing Chen Ge Ge" as she puts her head on XC's shoulder, as XY stares in horror.

- XY starts awake as CY keeps calling him. He grabs her into a hug, saying deliriously "You cannot leave me. You cannot go with him." He hallucinates XC in the distance, and points to him "Leave!" CY walks over and tries to tell him there's no one there - but imaginary XC runs his hand along CY's arm (HAHA I wanna see the BTS for this scene) XY keeps shouting, "Get away from her!"

- XY grabs CY, "You're mine. Mine!" and forcefully kisses her. CY breaks free and XY grabs her face close, shouting, "Say my name. Say it!" She complies, "Xue.. Xue Yao. Yao Yao." He orders, "Call me Ge Ge." You can see the resignation in her face as she replies, "Xue Yao Ge Ge." (She must be thinking why is my husband so childish). Her turn to grab his face as she asks, "Xue Yao Ge Ge, when are you going to wake up?!" He hugs her tight, "You can only call me Ge Ge. Not anyone else." She placates him. "You're mine. Forever mine." XY says. She agrees, "Yes, I am yours. Forever yours." and tries to get him to stop aggravating his wound. XY says, "Xu Chu Yue, only you... are my wound." as a tear rolls down and he passes out. (ACK. I just realised that XY is not going to remember any of this, is he?)

-CY lays him down and looks at him with the most tender expression. "Silly man. You say that I'm your wound; but you're my cure." She kisses him and happily lays down on his chest, even putting his arm around herself. (Girl is so smitten but you can't even blame her since he literally jumped down a cliff for her, even if he did set her up.)

- The next morning, CY goes to a creek to wash herself. XC finds her and CY tells him how XY saved her. XC realises that he lost the bet, and also realises the depth of XY's feelings. CY wonders if she is clean because she wants to look nice for XY - XC realises that CY also has feelings for XY. 

- XY wakes up alone, calling for CY. He narrows his eyes as he spots them return. CY has XC's cloak on and is holding his wrist. CY comes over, and XY asks, "Are you really cold?" LOL. She tries to take the cloak off, but he lets her keep it on, glaring at XC. He throws her cloak at XC instead, who asks, "What are you doing?" XY replies, "I thought you might be cold" HAHA so petty.

- XY and XC go off for a man-to-man talk where XC concedes and XY accepts graciously. XC says his men will send them home.

- In the palanquin, CY checks on XY's hand, saying that it must hurt. He takes his hand away, saying that he's not afraid of pain. CY pretends to sulk because he's not accepting her concern (I think he doesn't remember anything :tears:) and he hears the bell on her ankle. He takes out the key, apologising that he put it on in the first place, but she takes the key from him.

She tells him that she'll accept the key but leave the bell on, "Because this is our fate. You put it on when you were afraid I was going to run away, but I don't want to leave you anymore. I'm willing to be imprisoned for you." (literal meaning as Wincee explained)

- XY looks down as she continues, "I always wanted to escape the palace, Xue Manor and go exploring just like the adventures in "The Journals of Guan Shan. But after experiencing so much with you, I realised that you are a man of honour, dependable and loyal. Even if there are beautiful sceneries, it would be lonely without you with me. So... you are my home for the rest of my life." 

- She draws a circle on his palm with the key, "If you draw a circle here, then I'll be here." She puts the key away, "I'm not leaving." (This is such a beautiful confession - and so brave of her to bare her heart like that!)

- XY only looks down and doesn't answer. She prods him, "Do you return my feelings, even just a little?" He takes his hand away (again!) and sits up further. "I'm not as good as you think. You took a month to come to trust me. Now I need a month to clarify some things; before that, I cannot make you any promises." 

- Then it's all that Wincee recapped.

- Additional bit at XC's place- he meets the caretaker of Ling Xi Court because he wanted to buy it as a gift for XY and CY. The caretaker explains that it already belongs to the General, which then makes XC think that the events of the birthday were very odd. They question the positions of the guards that night, and realises that there were specific unmanned spots. As they dismiss the caretaker, XC realises what XY did - "What birthday banquet? It was a Hongmen banquet! (a feast set up as a trap for the guest)" Dun dun dun... just when he had come to accept XY as his brother-in-law. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for detailed info @angelflower

I also like our female lead.

I like Hu Yi Xuan since I watched her in I'm A Pet At Dali Temple. She also transforms as an animal there, a cat LOL

The difference is in that drama when she transformed, she completely become a cat while here she still have the human features.

She's cute whether she transforms into cat or into a mouse and pig like in here:glee:

Can't wait for tonight episodes!

Even our general is slow in action in their relationship, I'm glad that our princess still keep sleeping in his bedroom ahaha. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, enzek said:

Thank you for detailed info @angelflower

I also like our female lead.

I like Hu Yi Xuan since I watched her in I'm A Pet At Dali Temple. She also transforms as an animal there, a cat LOL

The difference is in that drama when she transformed, she completely become a cat while here she still have the human features.

She's cute whether she transforms into cat or into a mouse and pig like in here:glee:

Can't wait for tonight episodes!

Even our general is slow in action in their relationship, I'm glad that our princess still keep sleeping in his bedroom ahaha. 

She starred in this kind of role three times.  In My Dear Destiny she also transformed into something.  However that drama is not as good as this one.

• Like 1

Totally agree with @angelflower I really like CY characters, she is loyal, brave and she wears her heart on her sleeves, and it takes courage to bare it all like that. Heck, I even love XC character he is also loyal, and dedicated to his love without being overly possesive (so far), he lets CY decide who she wants to be with, with her happiness and wellbeing in mind even if her happiness lies with XY, if thats not real love I don't know what is.

But, I think at some point when XY hurts CY, XC will step up and won't easily back down. I just hope he wont get too obssesive like most SML and won't get hurt much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, angelflower said:

@WinCee Thanks for jumping in! I'm in a different timezone so I'm working when it comes out... I also watch it in the evening but it's hours later. I can just add on later then :D 

Thank you for your detailed recaps!  It's so great to read someone else's take on what is happening (glad we are on the same track!) and thank you for your much more detailed recaps!  Yes I think we are on total opposite timezones, I try to stay up and watch if I'm not already asleep.  So far things are moving along so quickly I can't wait to watch and see what develops next so I'm trying to stay up! 

I agree our lovely Princess is the more likeable one.  She is brave, honest, wears her heart on her sleeve and deserves so much love from everyone.  It's painful to watch her knowing that XY is still hiding so much from her and was indeed using her. Having said that I love Zheng Ye Cheng in this role, he plays these stoic characters with epic love stories so well, we can easily see how CY has fallen in love with him. 

Spoiler

I have thought hard about the Black Hood Dude and agree with the theory that he is the real person having the affair with Lady Yun.  XM was in love with CY and would follow CY at night when she wanders the palace due to her difficulties with sleep.  XM must have stumbled upon Lady Yun and Black Hood Dude one night and got caught up in the uproar, and XM and Lady Yun ended up dead.  It is working in Black Hood Dude's favour for XY to think XM was killed by the Emperor in a jealous rage so he is perpetuating that idea.  I agree I don't think CY or the Emperor would ultimately be responsible for Lady Yun's death.  Can't wait to see what develops!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

@suzy0604 I agree with your opinion about XC.

Although he is not handsome as XY, and I like very much the chemistry between XY & CY, but I think everyone of us would like to have such a friend/lover like him. Seeing XC holding CY, singing lullaby for her, while she has a pig head, who doesn't want to have such a friend/lover like that? A friend who accept & pamper you even when you have a terrible pig head/ who accepts all the good & bad things inside you.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Oh my goodness Soompi just traumatised me again... I tried to edit my recap of Ep18 above with some of the videos Mango TV released but when I put it in, it deleted all the bottom half >.< So I had to retype it because I couldn't leave it hanging :tears: It won't be the same as you guys read before but I think it's ok haha. I tried to do the convos I really liked but I don't remember all my comments.

Anyway, I really should get back to work (and stop looking here!)!  

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh that makes me apprehensive... guess the fallout is coming! And we have to wait for next week after this...

Let me translate the previews for Episode 21 and 22.

Episode 21 Preview - CY tries all kinds of methods to stay awake:

Looks like CY is back at the palace again...

CY: I won't sleep!

TY/Mo Mo: Princess!

TY? : Onions!

Mo Mo: How is that? Are you still sleepy?

CY: What's this?!

Mo Mo: Eggs that have been fermented for a whole year :crazy:

XY finds her falling asleep outside and catches her.

XY: Why are you doing this to yourself?

XY: You're an adult yet you're just like a child when you're sleeping. 

XY: Chu Yue, you're grown up now. Show the confident side you had earlier in the day time. You're no longer that crying child. I'll accompany you here tonight.

CY: Xue Yao... Don't leave.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Episode 22 Preview - CY falls into a coma due to the effects of the Birth Stone's illusions (phantasmagoria):

XY: She wasted another chance... because of the drug... for my sake?

(YES TY tells him - he should totally know the danger CY is in, especially since she told him!)

TY: She said that General, you are her pillow; you shouldn't be tainted by anyone so... so she...

XY: Chu Yue, wake up! Xu Chu Yue! Xu Chu Yue!

Voice: These are illusions of the future of the Birth Stone. If you touch it, you will surely be affected.

XY: Xu Chu Yue!

XY: Xu Chu Yue, I want you to wake up now. Stop dreaming! And also, never leave me again. Xu Chu Yue, wake up!

AW He pulls her up into a kiss! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

@yoana drl-The episodes are raw so I can’t do them justice in trying to give you some info BUT anytime I see our cute FL crying, I get emotional and teary eyed.   Love her!    It usually means she is emotionally hurt or disappointed in her man.  I hope someone can update the current episodes 19 & 20 (hint-hint) that can hold us over until next week.  Let the emotional roller coaster begin :sweat:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gina Madren said:

@yoana drl-The episodes are raw so I can’t do them justice in trying to give you some info BUT anytime I see our cute FL crying, I get emotional and teary eyed.   Love her!    It usually means she is emotionally hurt or disappointed in her man.  I hope someone can update the current episodes 19 & 20 (hint-hint) that can hold us over until next week.  Let the emotional roller coaster begin :sweat:

I cannot watch the raw from mango tv, everytime that I tried to download the app, it tells me that my phone doesn't allow it. Probably because is an oldie lol, so I relay in you guys in all the updates, until the post the eps in dramacool. So thank u for sharing the info 

1 hour ago, yessica vargas rubio said:

Lo pone en la página de zheng ye cheng en mydramalist donde dice que XY y XM son gemelos, por lo tanto, en 2 roles y en el episodio 1 los niños nunca lo llaman XY o CY si no con otros nombres lo llaman GUAN SHAN como se llamaba al hermano pero en wikidrama dice que quien interpreta a XM es Zhu Zhi Ling pero en mydramalist dice que zheng ye cheng juega 2 roles ambos hermanos

Had a late shift last night so didn’t get to pop in here. I gotta dash but 

Spoiler

CY goes back to the palace because the emperor finds out the stone is in her. SNN has the divorce paper and the emperor and his evil eunuch got their hands on it and they made XY and CY divorce to get CY back in the palace so he can get the stone. 

CY had figured out XY was using fer as bait, smart girl! She found out  from SNN that XY was trying to find out who killed XM. XY’s aunt also wakes up from her coma and likes CY now, but CY has over heard that that the emperor might be the one who killed XM. 

so XY has wanted to argue against the divorce but CY had said not to because she knew being married to her makes it hard for XY. So they separated.

how can it be left here next episodes are too far away!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 3