[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Novoland: Pearl Eclipse 九州·斛珠夫人

sugarplum892

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Definitely real, he is a work-out fanatic, you can check out his many work-out pictures/ videos on his instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/williamchanwaiting/

@Prettysup Thanks for the info.  

2 hours ago, Yinye said:

@Prettysup thank you. I still want to cut Shifu’s two hair strands lol 

@Yinye  Yes. I agree with you.  I don't like Sifu's 2 Hair Strands Hairstyle either.  What is the Hair Stylist thinking?  Have a heart for the Viewers

50 minutes ago, omiki said:

I’m not familiar with the Novoland series, so I have many questions about how things work there.

Is the Emperor really mad or just eccentric? I feel bad for the poor servant that serves him - he’s trying so hard to please him and the Emperor threatens to kill him left and right. I can’t imagine working for someone so unpredictable.

I enjoyed episode 8 -  fun to watch Haishi taking the imperial exam, and the pace moved faster than episodes 6 and 7 where I was confused why General Su was going after Haishi.

@omiki

I'm not familiar either.  This is the First time I'm watching a Novoland Series.   Wow. You're faster than me.  I'm just going to watch ep 3.

Spoiler

I read that the Emperor is actually a Good Person. He has his Reason for behaving like this.  

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I am on ep 8 now. I love all of Haishi’s fighting scenes, she’s the boss.

Ep9

Spoiler

Blushing at the poison removal process! Squee and oh Haishi made the first move heheh the underwater scene reveal was nicely done

Darn it - I knew that head lady of the clothing dept had feelings for Shifu but oh at her at one time was his potential fiancé!! sigh she found out Haishi’s secret. 

I am all caught up now. No more new episodes :( 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yinye said:

@Prettysup thank you. I still want to cut Shifu’s two hair strands lol 

I didn't like them too initially but I sort of miss them when they disappeared in ep 10 haha.. Somehow they look better the more I see them lol

6 hours ago, omiki said:

I’m not familiar with the Novoland series, so I have many questions about how things work there.

For example, is the mermaid from episode 1 a real person from a tribe which is part of the Zheng country or another country? Or is it a random mythical creature? I’m not good with faces, but is the mermaid the dead Empress or her sister? What power did the mermaid transfer to Haishi?

What is the magic spell that bonds the Emperor and Fang Shifu? Is it a spell or some special power? So far up to episode 8, I haven’t seen any witch or shaman that casts spells in the drama. 

Not sure about the mermaid folktale, but the mermaid in ep 1 was not the empress or her sister, she is a totally different actress playing a cameo role in this drama.

About the spell bonding the emperor and Master Fang, I think it is some blood bond that Master Fang activated to stop the emperor from hurting himself after his wife's death. They will explain more of it in ep 11 or 12.

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@Yinye  Yes. I agree with you.  I don't like Sifu's 2 Hair Strands Hairstyle either.  What is the Hair Stylist thinking?  Have a heart for the Viewers

I thought it looked pretty good though haha...

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, omiki said:

I enjoyed episode 8 -  fun to watch Haishi taking the imperial exam, and the pace moved faster than episodes 6 and 7 where I was confused why General Su was going after Haishi.

As I remember General Su was going after Shi Fu. And he knew that Hashi's the youngest disciple and seems to be like the most beloved one? Hehehehehehehe.... All members of Pavilion already worked in Palace but Shi Fu seemed to much overprotective about Haishi and then General Su knew that Haishi joint the Imperial Exam, that's why he's going after Haishi with the real target was Shi Fu. But still I didn't understand why General Su hated Shi Fu so much, as I remember that's related to General Su's father's death, but still I didn't clear the reason

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maria_m2me said:

As I remember General Su was going after Shi Fu. And he knew that Hashi's the youngest disciple and seems to be like the most beloved one? Hehehehehehehe.... All members of Pavilion already worked in Palace but Shi Fu seemed to much overprotective about Haishi and then General Su knew that Haishi joint the Imperial Exam, that's why he's going after Haishi with the real target was Shi Fu. But still I didn't understand why General Su hated Shi Fu so much, as I remember that's related to General Su's father's death, but still I didn't clear the reason

Apparently Shi Fu made a decision during a war some years ago and caused the deaths of General Su's father, as well as the Emperor's wife and kid.

6 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Apparently Shi Fu made a decision during a war some years ago and caused the deaths of General Su's father, as well as the Emperor's wife and kid.

But till now we didn't have clue about his decision right? I just knew that Shi Fu felt he's the one who made Emperor lost his wife and kid, that's why when he saw the Princess who looks alike Late Empress, he seemed sad?

• Like 1

I'm up to Ep 6.  Everybody else seems to be ahead of me.  So there is no need for me to use Spoilers eh.

Ep 4:

The Emperor's younger brother who just returned looks Fishy.  I will not be surprised if he aims for the Throne later. I believe what I've read about the reason for the Emperor behaving tyranical must be the death of his Former Queen.  Time for him to let go.

Ep 5:

I like the Cinematography. Especially when it is an Aerial Shot:

- the Opening Scene of Sifu lying in his bed with Haishi besides him

- the Aerial Shot again of Haishi kneeling (and even before that of Sifu kneeling) in the Courtyard looks like a Big Tapestry

Ep 6:

The Flight of the Gauze to wrap around Fang Zhuo Ying's face is so Silly. And praying to the God of Wind? :tears:

Loves the Fight Scene in the Inn.  Very well-choreographed. But Haishi still needs her Sifu to save her.

So silly of Haishi to start practising the Bow & Arrow so soon after her Arm Injury. The Bow & Arrow is very strenuous on the Arms. Could very well leads to a Permanent Injury.

Note: It is very obvious that Sifu has Feelings for Haishi

Ahhhh ... ep 12 is so heart wrenching!!

13 hours ago, maria_m2me said:

But till now we didn't have clue about his decision right? I just knew that Shi Fu felt he's the one who made Emperor lost his wife and kid, that's why when he saw the Princess who looks alike Late Empress, he seemed sad?

It was explained in ep 12,

Spoiler

he moved forward the troops impulsively against the plan to avenge his family, and end up causing the deaths of the Emperor's wife and kid (and almost the Emperor himself too).

Shifu and disciple at a charity event last night in Shenzhen

FEEsmd2aMAEpe8a?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Love 2

They both look amazing at this Bazaar charity event! YM looks amazing, classic elegant style, and I think she looks better when she gains a little weight. Not a fan of AB and her style tho. 

I will watch ep 11 and 12 later today after finishing some chores. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Yinye said:

I will watch ep 11 and 12 later today after finishing some chores. 

Pending to watch ep 11 and 12 and wait for ep 13 and 14 tonight... Then we need to wait for ep 15 in Wednesday... Seriously I need this drama airs every day and plus I need fast track please. I'm willingly to pay for this drama...

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Ep 11 and 12 were great for progressing the relationship between our OTP. Haishi really pushing and testing the limits and Shifu may seem calm but I don’t think he is at all. So much tension already…

Spoiler

I get both of character’s POV now:

Haishi loves him; that is why she won’t accept him as her father but she respects him as her Shifu so she’s trying to run away in case she can’t control herself. :( So she says she is taking his training to do her duty for the country. Ahhhh I do love the fact that speaks her mind and tells him what she is thinking. 

Shifu does care for Haishi and I am not sure yet if he realizes it’s romantic love vs family love yet since in his mind- he’s prioritized his duty and blood oath to the Emperor. Also the fact that he feels responsible for Zizan and baby’s death, he seems to think that he doesn’t deserve or want to get married or have a family since he can die early and always having to put the Emperor first over family. :( I feel like he is thinking on it and trying to suppress his feelings since it can’t be. 

• Like 1

I managed to catch up with you all at last.  At first I thought I'll just pen what I felt most for each ep.  But now I'll just concentrate on Ep 12

Ep 12:

Spoiler

It is a very Poignant Episode.  But not poignant enough to make me Cry. These are my understanding of this ep.

Haishi's Confessions

I love it. That she is so Brave and Forthright about it.  I love the Poem she quotes.  and that she quotes it "In Tandem" with their "Chess Moves".  This is why I love Chinese Dramas.  Their Classical Language, Idioms and Poems are very "infectious" and "endearing".

Haishi knew about the impending marriage between Ju Qi Qi and her Sifu from some "careless gossips"  But she didn't know of Sifu's Blood Oath not to marry. 

Sifu - Fang Jian Ming

He loves Haishi too.  The reason he held back is because of his "Baixi-Relationship" to the Emperor.  He knew his Life is short and he didn't want to let Haishi down.

What is "Bai Xi"?  In fact, this is a relatively complicated relationship.  To put it bluntly, it is a relationship such as a puppet substitute. Fang Zhu's family has a special bloodline and relationship with the emperor's family and can take the damage on behalf of others.

When the Prince Yi rebelled and the Crown Prince committed suicide, Chu Zhongxu and Fang Jian Ming struggled against Prince Yi. Later, Fang Jian Ming's family was destroyed.  To kill Prince Yi, Fang Jian Ming (Sifu) encircled him in advance.

In doing so, he cause the death of the Queen and almost killed Chu Zhongxu. To save Chu Zhong Xu, he use his Special Blood to become Chu Zhong Xu's "Bai Xi".

Sifu knew he was short of time.  He didn't know how long he could live.  So he could only disappoint Haishi

Haishi's Departure:

It is also good for Haishi to leave for Huangquan Pass. So that she can come back :

- More Matured

- Wiser

- A More Experienced Warrior

More worthy to be Fang Jian Ming's  (Sifu) other half

*I like William's subdued acting here.  :thumbsup:   I hope Haishi can end up together with her Sifu.

BTW, I don't mind Spoilers.  You all can write what you all want to.

• Like 4

I have a feeling there are a lot of layers in the story.

Love the relationship between emperor and commander.

In some dramas, shifus and disciples can not have a relationship.

So there's that blocking their future...I guess there's a way around it eventually.

I wouldn't want our OTP to not end up together.

Sad about the queen but I'm guessing she had a hand in how she died.

As the emperor said, she cared for him and wanted to protect him. 

• Like 2

Seriously I love how Haishi looks so almighty and inspiring in ep 13 & 14 plus I really love Shifu's hairstyle now. So Shifu hairstyle like the difference of his on of mode between as a court officer (general) and as daily hair style?

Oh yah for anyone who already watched, can you explain to me why Shi Fu imagine Haishi with woman looks in water? Does it mean since that day he see Haishi as a woman, he wanna help her but in the end let her drowing?

• Like 2

Thanks, @Prettysup the mermaid reappeared in episode 11 in Haishi’s recollection of the mermaid saving her when she was young, so I realise now that the actresses are different … haha ….

Episode 13 and 14 were a bit boring for me because I don’t like watching war battle scenes. Only interesting scenes were those of the Emperor and Ti Lan. Speaking of Ti Lan, I suspect she knows that Haishi is female? When Haishi saved her and they were riding the horse, Ti Lan had some surprised expression on her face when she put her arms around Hai Shi’s chest? If that is so, then her concern for Hai Shi is one for someone who saved her life, and a fellow female? Not for a good looking General which the Emperor is mistakenly jealous for.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, omiki said:

Thanks, @Prettysup the mermaid reappeared in episode 11 in Haishi’s recollection of the mermaid saving her when she was young, so I realise now that the actresses are different … haha ….

Episode 13 and 14 were a bit boring for me because I don’t like watching war battle scenes. Only interesting scenes were those of the Emperor and Ti Lan. Speaking of Ti Lan, I suspect she knows that Haishi is female? When Haishi saved her and they were riding the horse, Ti Lan had some surprised expression on her face when she put her arms around Hai Shi’s chest? If that is so, then her concern for Hai Shi is one for someone who saved her life, and a fellow female? Not for a good looking General which the Emperor is mistakenly jealous for.

@omiki  Yes. You are right.  Ti Lan already know that Haishi is a Female.  The moment she wrapped her Arms around her Chest.  But she is a good person.  She never divulge this Secret to anyone.  For that I respect her.

As for eps 13 & 14, I agree with you - a bit boring.  Unless the Battle Scenes are well-choreographed.  The way Haishi jumped onto the wall of the cliff and into the hole;  the way she stands on the horse to shoot her arrow is a bit "over the top".  But then - otherwise we would not be entertained....

Spoiler

Ep 13:

Lord Qinghai (Sifu) made it clear to Ju Qi Qi that their Bethrothal is invalid.  So I was right.  Haishi has jumped into the wrong conclusion and created her own miseries.

* Somewhere along this Story, I expect the Mermaid to help Haishi. So far what the Mermaid has transferred into Haishi's Palm (Ep 1) has not come into Play.

EP 14:

So now Ju Qi Qi became Bitter. That is the problem with the women from ancient eras.

The Emperor is too Revengeful.  No doubt Lord Qinghai has accidentally caused the death of his Queen and the yet to be borned Baby.  But  he did it in the course of carrying out his duty. 

He should at least appreciate what Lord Qinghai has done for him all these years.  But Emperors (people in Power) are like that.

I expect the Emperor to create more angst for Lord Qinghai - where Haishi is concerned.  He wants him to go through the same anguish: "The Lost Of The Woman He Loves"

Fang Zhou Ying is a Traitor from the "Huku Tribe"?  Haishi saw him there at the battle.  What a Twist?

(But I still doubt it.  Separated Twins Perhaps?)

• Like 2

@maria_m2melol, I wished they had removed the flooding of episodes after this show was aired. It's only gonna be everyday towards the end, for now, we'll have to endure not watching anything on Mondays and Tuesdays, sigh.

@omikiOh, I must have missed that part, that Ti Lan knows she's a woman....that's why it's a good idea to read what's going on in the forum :P

I don't normally enjoy battle scenes, but with Hai Shi, I am completely fine, in fact I think it's alright to break the monotony of too much court intrigue! Oh yes, it's over the top, her flying around and such, and shooting 3 arrows all at once, but hey, that's why it's a fantasy drama...and I read somewhere that the Novoland series has its share of mystical powers (?)

@hush puppy oh yes, I've been wondering too what's with the symbol on her hands from the mermaid... can't wait to find out. Based on Baidu Encyclopaedia, the word 琅缳, pronounced as Lang Huan, in Chinese myths and legends, refers to a place where the Emperor of Heaven collects books or the location where these collection of books are kept, and can also mean "Blessed land". It's also the mermaid's name. Whether it's just a name or there is some metaphorical meaning, perhaps someone can shed light on it....

As for whether the Emperor really holds onto Hai Shi to spite his best friend, the Sifu, or because it's his kingdom, and all women in the palace belong to him kinda mentality (?) or because he's really intrigued by her... well, that's left to be seen (besides at the very beginning at least, I am quite sure the Emperor isn't aware of how Sifu feels, I suspect that will surface a little later on. Looking at it on the brightside, I'm glad he's gonna give Sifu a run for his money, and arouse a good dose of jealousy. Else, I think he would just keep his feelings under wraps and bear it all alone. I am really curious why in the trailer the Sifu says he's running out of time, and requests that the Emperor allow them to be together... his own injury or the one he's gonna suffer on behalf of the Emperor? As for Zhou Ying, pretty sure it's a twin brother and Zhou Ying's gonna find out about his heritage somewhere along the line, it's gonna be a shock to him. I wonder if by any chance the Sifu knows?

As for creating her own misery, if the Emperor grants a marriage (more so as it was from the horse's mouth), it's as good as an order, and  besides, their marriage was arranged by the parents, so it's not illogical to assume that what she heard is true. Just that, in the Sifu's case, he can be rather adamant about certain things...

Spoiler
Spoiler

If the drama closely follows the novel, what is likely to happen is Sifu is going to be the one to reveal Hai Shi's gender to the Emperor, and push her towards him, as part of the noble idiocy route, that the Emperor will be able to protect her and give her the happiness he can't. However, in the novel, Sifu is a eunuch, so that makes absolute sense, and apparently, though it's not written as a BL, and the writer refuted it, there are some dark undertones to it. Moreover in the novel, there is no Ti Lan. At the end of it all, Hai Shi bears a son to the Emperor and becomes the Empress and Sifu dies.

However, in the drama, Ti Lan has been introduced (be forewarned, there's a child actor playing the Emperor's son, the question is who is the mother - Ti Lan or Hai Shi? And looking at the viewing calendar as well as the interview with Yang Mi (she promises candy/sweet moments, hint it's in E45-46), there will be lots of misery (the greatest misery will be in episodes 47-48) and angst (likely from Sifu not doing anything about it when the Emperor makes a move on her, and eventually I believe she will join his harem but whether they consummate or not is a question).

Also, Hai Shi will grow more resentful with time as she's pushed into the Emperor's arms. In the novel, they developed feelings for each other - the Emperor and her - but whether this is the case in the drama, is left to be seen. Last but not least, there's a wedding scene in the trailer but whether that's a dream or a real wedding is also left to be seen.

Edited by SC2019
added on other information
  • Like 2