[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Just remember that JH almost choked on his ice cream or icicle when Ji Soo said they’ll have to figure out how to raise their kids. :lol: According to the timeline above, that’s eight days after they cuddled and slept together in Gangchon. They were so innocent.

Did she.. i wonder in what context did she say that?... did i missed it?  Hmm...

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Did she.. i wonder in what context did she say that?... did i missed it?  Hmm...

Yes, it was during the scene when they were eating ice cream and he said he learned to cook since he was a kid because his parents were busy working. That’s why she said something like they’ll have to figure out how to raise their kids and he choked on his ice cream. :lol: Ji Soo didn’t even get embarrassed. She said it like a matter of course. Too bad their future changed course later on.

8 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Yes, it was during the scene when they were eating ice cream and he said he learned to cook since he was a kid because his parents were busy working. That’s why she said something like they’ll have to figure out how to raise their kids and he choked on his ice cream. :lol: Ji Soo didn’t even get embarrassed. She said it like a matter of course. Too bad their future changed course later on.

Thanks, i have to rewatch that scene again...hehe

9 minutes ago, Tango27 said:

super powers here  .... he must be ten times her weight 

Not quite.  :lol:  But still substantially bigger.

• Name: 유지태 / Yoo Ji Tae (Yu Ji Tae)
  • Birthdate: 1976-Apr-13 (age 44)
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 74kg
  • Blood type: AB
  • Name: 이보영 / Lee Bo Young (Yi Bo Yeong)
  • Birthdate: 1979-Jan-12 (age 41)
  • Height: 168cm
  • Weight: 48kg
  • Blood type: B

source:  DramaWiki

So in the preview for next episode, it seems they will pursue the school violence issue. Why? I wish the chaebol family is unknowingly digging their own grave. Someone on Viki pointed out that when Youngmin was attacked he was calling his mother. They’re speculating that perhaps the attack is on Ji Soo’s voicemail and she doesn’t realize it yet. If that’s the case, all the better because maybe the truth will finally come out that Youngmin was living hell at that school while all the adults at that boarding school were turning a blind eye. I hope the principal suffer the consequences.

I've been thinking about re-watching since we're at episode 10 and this is usually a good time to go back to see what didn't catch my attention the first time.

I'd forgotten about that opening scene where JS is playing piano in the middle of a disaster zone with fires all round her while JH is walking toward her.  When she asks him if he remembers when, he says, "I know how long it lasted."  And I thought we know the answer now:  a million years.  :)

3 hours ago, thistle said:

I've been thinking about re-watching since we're at episode 10 and this is usually a good time to go back to see what didn't catch my attention the first time.

I'd forgotten about that opening scene where JS is playing piano in the middle of a disaster zone with fires all round her while JH is walking toward her.  When she asks him if he remembers when, he says, "I know how long it lasted."  And I thought we know the answer now:  a million years.  :)

I was also relieved to now sort of know the true meaning to the answer.  I was afraid it meant the short duration of the relationship when they were young.  So even better when it is translated as "I know how long it WILL last."

On 5/26/2020 at 3:18 AM, enchantedyears said:

January 1994

One more thing to add to January 1994:  JS gives JH a poetry book by Lee Seong Bok called The End of That Summer.  She writes on the inside page, "From Ji Su to Jae Hyun again, 1994.1"  :) 

On 5/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, Tango27 said:

did anyone actually catch what happened when JH purchased the new stuff ?

cause if I am not wrong.. he had a change of heart after seeing that shoe...which is a symbol for what she went thru

he actually returned everything he bought

I've been re-watching this week since we've finished 10 eps and I wanted to be ready for the drama-drama-drama that is bound to happen in the last 6  eps.  So I re-watched episode 9 today.

I remembered that you had posted about this because it really kinda bothered me (it didn't seem in character for JH to make an about-face like that), so I was curious to see if this was true:  I have to tell you that it is Not.

The new stuff was still there when JS came home that day.  The vacuum, the computer, the pots and pans, and more.  Now they didn't show the bedroom or most of the shoe cupboard but I suspect that stuff was there, too.  Hopefully also that pretty necklace from Tiffany's, too, because I just bet that's gonna be a plot point later if she wears it and SK finds out.  Eek.

I'm glad he didn't take the stuff back; that didn't make sense to me.  Remember how he refused to take back the guitar?  Remember how his secretary had to run away so that JS could not give the bike back.  When JH makes up his mind, he follows through and he doesn't take a no.  He has decided to go back to her and, for him, that has to included putting bits of himself into her life.  Just like he has put his own shoes on her feet, he also made changes to her home.  That's just the way he works. 

.....and since I mentioned his secretary, I would love to know the back story for him.  How did he meet JH?  What has made him so very loyal?  Hopefully this will somehow be filled in before the end.

(Apologies for the double post but I can't seem to add quotes to an edit and this thread was almost on page 3 anyhow so maybe I can be forgiven for falling afoul of the rules.)

...........editing to add that I just noticed one other minor but really sweet thing:  when JS is visiting JH at the army base, she has her ponytail tied up with the hankie that belongs to him that he gave her the day they met.

@thistle, regarding the stuff HJH bought Ji Soo, yep, I remember the stuff was still there because when she came into the apartment and turned on the lights she looked around to see the new stuff. Then she found the note from HJH telling her now he understood what kind of life she lived after seeing her worn shoe....the same shoe that she left behind when running from the base to take the train back to her home to find her mother and sister. 

The preview also showed that chaebol wife will confront Ji Soo tomorrow again. I heard her tell someone she’ll rip them to shreds. I’m guessing the recipient of those words is Ji Soo.

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

The preview also showed that chaebol wife will confront Ji Soo tomorrow again. I heard her tell someone she’ll rip them to shreds. I’m guessing the recipient of those words is Ji Soo.

I'm sure you're right but I have a feeling she will also go behind JS's back to get at her because SK said she would use anyone and anything to get her way.

My guess, and this is just a very big guess (because I always like to think "what if" as though I was writing the story):

Spoiler

I wonder if she will try to use JS's father.  In the promo we saw just a milli-second of JS crying over someone in a hospital bed.  The face was obscured, though, so it's hard to say who it is.  At first I worried if it might be YM or JH but then I thought about how vulnerable JSDad is and how likely he would be to collapse.  If SK caught up with him on one of his lucid days, she might have gone too far thinking that he could be swayed to her side but, fragile as he is, he would come unglued.  If that happens and he dies, even more trouble will ensue.

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/30/review-when-my-love-blooms-even-the-cliches-come-alive-with-exquisite-production/

[Review] ‘When My Love Blooms’ Even the Cliches Come Alive with Exquisite Production

By krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun | Images: tvN

5A20CD9F-2951-45A2-A0A7-354EBB913484.jpg

When My Love Blooms is a traditional melodrama that tells the story of those who have been granted a rare opportunity to start over their lost love. Even hearing the synopsis, you can tell the story is filled with cliches. To say it frankly, it is obvious and lacks any freshness. However, When My Love Blooms proves that even cliches can be made into a good work, depending on the production.

Like Architecture 101 (2012), When My Love Blooms relieves the drama’s weakness with the passionate performances of four actors who played the same role at different times. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young, who play the main characters’ current days, perfectly portray the characters who are confused by all the emotions they buried in the past brought alive after encountering their past love. They add weight to the drama by expressing various emotions of the main characters through fine acting. Park Jin Young and Jeon So Nee, who play the college days of the roles, also further enhanced regretful feelings about the current situation where they are now standing opposite of each other, with their youthful and fresh performances.

5A686E12-9DEA-4BFB-A2D7-FF06F82B4C2A.png

The development that goes back and forth from the past to the present is also enjoyable. When something happens, the main characters are lost in thought for a while. And that moment, past episodes related to the present unfold. For example, when Jae Hyun watches the film Love Letter (1995), he recalls the time when he watched it with Ji Soo in the past. With such development, the empty space in the story is put together like a puzzle, doubling the fondness of memories. In particular, the critical reason behind their breakup is hidden somewhere in their school days, raising questions about how they will connect with the present.

Like the title, When My Love Blooms puts a lot of effort into the details of background and music. It flawlessly depicts a romantic atmosphere, such as an unfrequented train station on a snowy night or a school campus full of spring freshness. It also allows the viewers to recall memories with movies and objects that excite nostalgia for the 90s. In addition, the music played when the two main characters gaze into each other’s eyes lets out the heartrending mood, raising the level of immersion.

It’s been a long time since there was a drama that presented such heartbreaking lines. The lines that the two main characters, who missed each other for so long but met too late, share as they resent the lapse of time certainly touches the hearts’ of the viewers. With Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young’s keen affection, the intensity of the emotions only gets stronger. Also, a poem shown at the end of each episode expresses their feelings, leaving a long lingering impression.

52BD58EE-EB75-48ED-9858-9E40A5EDF5A3.png

When My Love Blooms tried hard to avoid cliche by putting careful work into each scene and line, yet it did failed to go beyond the limits of the material. The story of a successful protagonist helping his ex-lover, who lives an unhappy life, only hovers around the obvious melodrama formula. The setting that crosses past and the present did show a positive effect on the drama’s immersion in the beginning. However, as the frequency of going back and forth increases, such a setting is only interrupting the development. Recently, even the parts that are not important to the overall story were mixed in with the episodes from the past, making the story drag. For When My Love Blooms, which aired the 10th episode, to show a higher level of completion, it needs to understand how the key lies in using such a double-edged sword setting effectively.

Now, When My Love Blooms is heading towards the end as the secret of why they split up has been revealed. Will they say another heartbreaking farewell, or will they be able to bloom their love, like the title, attention is focused. Either way, I wish that the delicate production of the early stage that drew exclamations and the actors’ passionate performances to continue till the end, delivering us the finale of a beautiful drama.

Verdict: To say that the drama is filled with cliches, delicate production certainly touches our hearts (7/10)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1403517wpp/got7s-jinyoung-breaks-down-in-flood-of-tears-in-when-my-love-blooms

GOT7’s Jinyoung Breaks Down In Flood Of Tears In “When My Love Blooms”

May 29, 2020
by E. Cha

tvN’s “When My Love Blooms” has unveiled a sneak peek of GOT7’s Jinyoung in an emotional moment!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Warning: discussion of suicide.

On the previous episode of “When My Love Blooms,” Han Jae Hyun (played by Yoo Ji Tae) revealed to Yoon Ji Soo (played by Lee Bo Young) that his father took his own life many years ago.

In the upcoming episode of the drama, “When My Love Blooms” will take viewers back in time to that defining moment in Han Jae Hyun’s life, which became a turning point that changed him forever.

On May 30, the drama revealed new stills from the episode, in which the young Han Jae Hyun (played by Jinyoung) is unable to stop himself from bursting into tears as he faces the death of his father. The heartbreaking photos capture Han Jae Hyun sorrowfully looking down at his late father’s belongings as he attempts to come to terms with this new tragedy, and one photo shows the young student sobbing uncontrollably as he breaks down over what appears to be his father’s coat.

Not only do the new photos add to the growing mystery over what drove Han Jae Hyun’s father to take his own life, but they also offer a glimpse of the moment in which the young, passionately idealistic Han Jae Hyun first became disillusioned with the world. Despite having spent his entire youth fighting for social justice above all else, the death of his father permanently changes Han Jae Hyun, who transforms into a cold, practical businessman who is concerned only with his own profit.

To find out what happened to Han Jae Hyun’s father—and why it changed Han Jae Hyun so dramatically—tune in to the next episode of “When My Love Blooms” on May 30 at 9 p.m. KST!

In the meantime, catch up on the latest episode of the drama with English subtitles below:

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

I've been thinking about something else from my re-watch, and it highlights the difference between what JH feels for JS and what he feels for SK.

This also goes back to JH giving whatever he can of himself to JS and "marking" her by putting his shoes/clothes on her.  When she is having issues with shoes, he immediately takes off his own very large shoes to put on her small feet.  In essence, he gives her something intimate that belongs to him.  Shoes are, after all, kinda personal.  And I could.....

Spoiler

go beyond that to the sexual inferences about feet and shoes but let's not journey there.

But when SK loses her shoe when JH takes her on the subway for the first time, he walks away to go find her shoe and bring it back to her.  He doesn't give her anything of himself.  She just has to wait until her returns her property to her.

It's an interesting difference in intimacy. 

From the first day that JH met JS, he has essentially dressed her in his belongings (hankie, hat, jacket, multiple shoe exchanges).  But he is never really that close with his wife, and he doesn't even get close enough to her to touch, not even when he brings back her shoe--she has to put it back on herself.  He would never treat JS like that.  

JH values JS in a very personal way but he makes no connection with his wife.

19 minutes ago, thistle said:

I've been thinking about something else from my re-watch, and it highlights the difference between what JH feels for JS and what he feels for SK.

This also goes back to JH giving whatever he can of himself to JS and "marking" her by putting his shoes/clothes on her.  When she is having issues with shoes, he immediately takes off his own very large shoes to put on her small feet.  In essence, he gives her something intimate that belongs to him.  Shoes are, after all, kinda personal.  And I could.....

Hide contents

go beyond that to the sexual inferences about feet and shoes but let's not journey there.

But when SK loses her shoe when JH takes her on the subway for the first time, he walks away to go find her shoe and bring it back to her.  He doesn't give her anything of himself.  She just has to wait until her returns her property to her.

It's an interesting difference in intimacy. 

From the first day that JH met JS, he has essentially dressed her in his belongings (hankie, hat, jacket, multiple shoe exchanges).  But he is never really that close with his wife, and he doesn't even get close enough to her to touch, not even when he brings back her shoe--she has to put it back on herself.  He would never treat JS like that.  

JH values JS in a very personal way but he makes no connection with his wife.

It's true that JH can sacrifice his life for JS, he dedicates her but for his wife, he takes care of her only like in a family may be like an older brother and his younger sister.  

But in fact, "‘When My Love Blooms’ Even the Cliches Come Alive with Exquisite Production", this drama is full of cliches and foreseen repeatedly scenes in comparison from past and current time, sometimes it lacks of the fierce world, the big difference of rich and poor people. But all of us can accept these cliches and unreal scenes easily due to the true emotions that can touch deeply in our hearts, wake the love dreams up, remind us about the memorable youth. All of them seem to be burned because of the hard life full of difficulties and challenges, but when watching this drama, everything can come back and be reborn. Thanks for the production of WMLB. 

:blink:  I'm guessing that no one managed to see the livestream today?  

Me=impatient to know what happens.  :sweatingbullets:  This is what happens after binge re-watching.

Waiting for the raw to upload on the not-legal sites.  ;)

Archived