[Drama 2020] Alice, 앨리스

larus

4 hours ago, cafe99 said:

Haha, omg... is he (PJG/Jo Woon) going to romance a woman (YTY/KHS) who looks exactly like his late mother?  hahaha, Oedipus complex all over the place.  

Still, I'm going to watch it, I was interested in the plot from the beginning, Greek tragedy jam

Her late mother is TY who stayed in the past to give birth. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, when they announced the cast, I was like wait how can Joo Won play Kim Hee Sun's son.......I mean they are like 11 years apart in age......but having seen episode 1, it all comes together neatly now and oddly though she romances Kwak Si Young briefly who also is like 10 years younger to her and they do sell it pretty well as expected. The premise with time travel, it reminded me of Terminator's time travel before they screwed up the timeline with the new movies mixed with Jurassic Park ish commercial purpose to it.......if they can do this neatly, it could end up becoming a solid drama.......the book, the deaths, the time travel, changing past, present, future.....all of that has to tie up. I hope they kept things simple, time travel if you don't plan things well tends to become convoluted pretty quickly which can be annoying for viewers. I don't think we need to stress here how perfect Joo Won is or Kim Hee Sun is, that's kinda expected of them.  Also, happy to see Lee Da In here, I last saw here in My Golden Life and she did a good job there. All in all, looking forward to next episode.

4 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

Honestly, when they announced the cast, I was like wait how can Joo Won play Kim Hee Sun's son.......I mean they are like 11 years apart in age......but having seen episode 1, it all comes together neatly now 

I want to believe Kim Hee Sun's character was 20-23 when she traveled back to 1993. By the time Joo Woo's character becomes 18, KHS would be 40. In real life there are 35-40 year olds with teenage kids.     

28 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

she romances Kwak Si Young briefly who also is like 10 years younger to her and they do sell it pretty well as expected.

I too liked their relationship, in fact they relationship was so convincing that I was rooting for them to meet again in future episodes, I think it'll be possible to see Park Su-Young

31 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

how can Joo Won play Kim Hee Sun's son.......I mean they are like 11 years apart in age......but having seen episode 1, it all comes together neatly now

I did likes Joo won's character as teenager, it was good call to make him play as a teenager, because it seemed like a difficult character to play given that he needs to act like a person with apathy and with no emotion or empathy towards others. In fact I likes his acting more as teenager than as a detective, as he grew up his character did showed some kind of arch, like he did show some signs of liking Kim Do Yeon and in the preview he was worried about her, so I guess he was able to somewhat over come his lack of empathy disorder.

34 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

The premise with time travel, it reminded me of Terminator's time travel before they screwed up the timeline with the new movies mixed with Jurassic Park ish commercial purpose to it.......if they can do this neatly, it could end up becoming a solid drama.......the book, the deaths, the time travel, changing past, present, future.....all of that has to tie up. I hope they kept things simple, time travel if you don't plan things well tends to become convoluted pretty quickly which can be annoying for viewers.

I think the drama does have characteristics of other time traveling movies and dramas. But it felt like a original theme since they just used the same concept with different story, like I was not able to draw any parallel with other time travel dramas or movies. So, yeah as long as story keeps its pace and writing is good, it'll garner high ratings and viewership. First episode got low rating(6%) when compared to previous dramas, but if the story and writing is good it can make up for it with rest of the episodes. I am optimistic about ratings since "Hot Stove league" got 3% for its first 2 episodes, but ratings gradually increased because of its story and casts' acting and clocked around 20% for it's last 2 episodes, "When Camellia Blooms" had similar problem with ratings initially, fingers crossed :hwaiting:

Joo Won And Kim Hee Sun’s New Drama “Alice” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings

1f0f6e8844ef45a7b4371948e1a25445.jpeg?s=

Aug 29, 2020
by E. Cha

SBS’s “Alice” is off to a promising start!

“Alice” is a new sci-fi action thriller starring Joo Won as Park Jin Gyeom, a detective who discovers the existence of time travel and winds up crossing paths with a woman who looks exactly like his mother (played by Kim Hee Sun).

On August 28, the new drama aired its first episode, which took first place in its time slot across all public broadcast channels. According to Nielsen Korea, the premiere of “Alice” scored average nationwide ratings of 4.1 percent and 6.1 percent for its two parts.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1422275wpp/joo-won-and-kim-hee-suns-new-drama-alice-premieres-to-no-1-ratings

The physisian Jang Dong Shik who was murdered in 1992 was from the future as well? He wasn`t surprised that he was a time traveler and he knew exactly the year they came, 2050. Who is the daughter? I am sure she will appear because she has the last page of the book.

Min Hyeok (Kwak So Yang) is the father of Jin Gyeom or he is just a guy who loved Tae yi? Who is the woman who looks like Yae yi and how she knew that a woman who looks like her will appear again in Jingyeom`s life?

3 hours ago, larus said:

Min Hyeok (Kwak So Yang) is the father of Jin Gyeom or he is just a guy who loved Tae yi? Who is the woman who looks like Yae yi and how she knew that a woman who looks like her will appear again in Jingyeom`s life?

The woman in the end ep 1 is Tae Yi but in prevous time travels, the last is the time she stayed in 1992. That is the reason she told Jin Gyeom if he meet her again he mustn''t find her because it will cause a time paradox which erase himself from timeline. And i can't wait if Jin Gyeom can meet his dad.

yesss, Joowon finally back in dramaland ! i really liked the premise because the story was a relatively fresh genre/concept in K-drama land??  and im such a sucker for sci-fi genres and of course Joowon :tounge_xd: the first episode was quite well-paced and solid?? Although i still have alot of questions for it but well but it's just the first episode. Damn JW & KHS's acting are so good ? I am already crying the first ep .... 

Can't wait to see how this story plays out?  because i am still quite confused over how this time travelling thing works ? and seems like there's crime elements involved , yes ^^ not sure how the romance line works in this though? 

I’m confused :frown: . Will JG have a romantic line with her mom? Lmao. TY is SY right, she just changed her name since she decided to stay in the past and that woman in the end was TY as well before the whole pregnant (year 1992) thing. MH was JG (joowon’s) dad right?  HAHAHAHAHA I’m honestly confused as to where this drama is headed but I’m definitely intrigued! 

someone please enlighten me with the relationship lines, it’s definitely confusing. 

2 hours ago, whiteclover said:

yesss, Joowon finally back in dramaland ! i really liked the premise because the story was a relatively fresh genre/concept in K-drama land??  and im such a sucker for sci-fi genres and of course Joowon :tounge_xd: the first episode was quite well-paced and solid?? Although i still have alot of questions for it but well but it's just the first episode. Damn JW & KHS's acting are so good ? I am already crying the first ep .... 

Can't wait to see how this story plays out?  because i am still quite confused over how this time travelling thing works ? and seems like there's crime elements involved , yes ^^ not sure how the romance line works in this though? 

In my opinion the romance is gonna be between Joo Won and Lee Da In, if there will a romance element here.

This drama has got the potential. But then again, we have seen many dramas like this making things very much complex half way through and then ending without explaining many things with many plot holes. I just hope this thing does not happen in this one.

As for time-travel we got to see how things happen and how exactly it happens and why it is happening. But tell me you about a very famous and commonly used time travel theory. The same theory was used in "Signal", yes it did not have time travel, but had the same element of time.

So the theory is very simple. The present, the past and the future all are happening at the same time, at the same place but in different time dimension. So whatever you do in the past will affect the present, whatever you do in present will affect the past and future both in this case, because Park Sun Young, travels to 1992 in the future and that is her last time travel. So whatever Jin Gyeom's whole existence depends on Yoon Tae Yi (Kim Hee Seon) being alive. I think that's why his mother told him not to get involved with anyone looking like her. Because she has been in his future and chances of meeting each other is there. 

I wonder what Park Sun Young did with the book? She stole it, but did she ever talk about it to her son? I don't think so. She could have hidden it somewhere. I also wonder whether Yoon Tae Yi/Park Sun Young (if they are the same) met Jin Gyeom before? Remember everything is happening at the same time, so Yoon Tae Yi meeting Jin Gyeom, then going back from 2050 to 1992 and giving birth to him is very much possible. It might be confusing, but consider things happening in a loop. Every action will affect both past and future. Or maybe they'll choose another theory for the time travel. 

Now why I mentioned Park Sun Young and Yoon Tae Yi if they are same, because we don't know whether Yoon Tae Yi traveled to future or came back in time. Yoon Tae Yi in the present is a Physics Professor, has got a family. She coming back from future and settling with fake family seems to be too much for the plot to me. So chances are either she went to the future, or she and Park Sun Young are not same and simply look a likes. Of course, that'll be made clear in the second or at least in the third episode. 

For me the first episode was good. We got the required build-up for the story, Jin Gyeom's past, his reason to become a detective. We already got hints regarding people coming back from future, some murders happening. Wonder where that doctor's daughter went with the last piece of paper? Overall things look to be good, as I said before, I really don't want things to become so complex that they face problem in wrapping it up. But since Joo Won chose this script from the many scripts he was offered and the fact that Kim Hee Seon has also chosen this, I'll trust and continue watching it. The drama had a good first episode, let's see how it's second will be.

Ef7aXZlUcAA4dWq.jpg

This is the co-relation chart. Green means signifies family. Blue arrows explain affiliations. 

I'll write as far as I understood, maybe others can help too. I'll not write about all characters.

Firstly in between we have Yoon Tae Yi and Joo Won. They seem to affiliated, but I didn't really understand what is written above the arrow.

On the top left, we have Tae Yi's family. Her parents and sister. On the top right corner, we've got the detective and (his wife I guess). Green arrow may actually mean that Jin Gyeom may have actually lived with the detective and wife while growing up after his mother's death. On top far right corner is Jin Gyeom's affiliation with the police station and his team members. 

On the mid left side, Yoon Tae Yi is connected with Seok O Won, who seems to be a professor too (just a guess). Jin Gyeom on the bottom is connected with Park Sun young who is mother, who is also connected with Yoo Min Hyeok, who was her partner/fiancee and also Jin Gyeom's father maybe. On the right Jin Gyeom is connected with Kim Do Yeon who is his childhood friend. 

Kim Moo Hyeok on the far right bottom side connected with the Alice team. At the bottom we've got the time travelers and the far left bottom we've got Jung Ki Hoon, about whom also I don't know what he is. 

Other's help is really appreciated, please correct if I made mistakes in the relations too.

@Sleepy Owl  and anyone I missed:sweatingbullets:

I have a few questions and observations too for Ep1

Can you really cut a rabbits ears off with blunt school scissors.

Who raised Jin Kyum - his uncle the bald detective. And he has a cousin in the police force. 

His lack of emotion, I thought came from his father, who seemed cold. It could be both: genetic and radiation.

I don't see Choi Won Young in the relationship chart.  Doesn't he play in important part. Was he lurking around when the mom was killed

His girlfriend is a reporter. Did we see his father in ep2 preview. 

I think the bald detective is related to the mother of the little girl who had the missing page.

47 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@Sleepy Owl  and anyone I missed:sweatingbullets:

I have a few questions and observations too for Ep1

Can you really cut a rabbits ears off with blunt school scissors.

Who raised Jin Kyum - his uncle the bald detective. And he has a cousin in the police force. 

His lack of emotion, I thought came from his father, who seemed cold. It could be both: genetic and radiation.

I don't see Choi Won Young in the relationship chart.  Doesn't he play in important part. Was he lurking around when the mom was killed

His girlfriend is a reporter. Did we see his father in ep2 preview. 

Choi Won Young is connected to Yoon Tae Yi on the left side. So I think he is a professor too like her. He looks to play an important role. I wonder what kind of role will it be? We have usually seen him in bad roles, but sometimes he does positive roles too. What I think is that he and Yoon Tae Yi will be researching on the time travel thing.

As for Jin Gyeom, I think that the bald detective raised him. That's the reason they are connected with the green arrow. Green arrow signifies family. 

As for his lack of emotions, I think it is because of radiation. Because that is the first thing his mother wondered. She was in relationship with Min Hyeok, but came to conclusion that it happened because of radiation. We got to see father more to come to this conclusion. To me he seemed to be the type of guy who put mission and organization above his family, but could still feel and show more emotions. Hopefully in ep2 we seem him and Jin Gyeom confronting each other, and he is among lead characters so hopefully we'll understand who had more role in Jin Gyeom having problem like that. 

Yeah Kim Do Yeon is a reporter as shown in EP1. But she is not his girl friend yet. I think she does like him and has been giving out hints, but our Jin Gyeom is slow in that field. But she is his only friend I guess. It'll be interesting whether he'll romance with Yoon Tae Yi or Kim Do Yeon or no one. 

As for ears, they are cartilage. So they might actually be cut with a scissor, I guess.

Yeah the bald detective if not related to the girl's mother, must be at least knowing where that girl is. She is the person with final piece of the puzzle. 

I can’t see Jin Gyeom getting into a romance with his mother in any incarnation. The fact is, she’s still his mother in every form whether she had him or not. He has her genes/DNA. I think if he has a romance, it would be with Do Yeon. I actually love the idea of a mother-son story here. Like when she began to read the book of prophecy, it seems there is something in there about a mother and a child which makes me wonder if it has to do with her giving birth to Jin Gyeom in the wrong time. He should have been born in 2050 instead of 199X. 

In any case, I absolutely loved the first episode. It hit the right spots for me. I think Jin Gyeom’s lack of empathy stems from the radiation although his father did indeed seem a bit cold to me as well. It looks like today’s episode will have more on the father so hopefully it will shed more light on him as a person. 

the drama is so fun and i am hooked with the first episode. 

hopefully the second episode seal the deal for me to watch the drama full time.

yeah i think it will be do yeon and jin gyeom love line and its so cute haha.

with do yeon being reporter i can see she will be in a lot of danger and jin gyeom will save her too.

fun start. just one things... please the drama dont make it some complicated sheinengan like TKEM timeline ( i drop that drama because it just dont fit me anymore ) 

if they do it with some logical physic theories ( paradox theories ) then its fine and i will accept it but if they make it too illogical then i am scared that ill drop it too. hopefully we had a good ride here guys 

5 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I can’t see Jin Gyeom getting into a romance with his mother in any incarnation. The fact is, she’s still his mother in every form whether she had him or not. He has her genes/DNA. I think if he has a romance, it would be with Do Yeon. I actually love the idea of a mother-son story here. Like when she began to read the book of prophecy, it seems there is something in there about a mother and a child which makes me wonder if it has to do with her giving birth to Jin Gyeom in the wrong time. He should have been born in 2050 instead of 199X. 

In any case, I absolutely loved the first episode. It hit the right spots for me. I think Jin Gyeom’s lack of empathy stems from the radiation although his father did indeed seem a bit cold to me as well. It looks like today’s episode will have more on the father so hopefully it will shed more light on him as a person. 

Why do people on this forum feel like the two main leads in every K-Dramas need to have a romance connection? Can't we have stories that have no romance, or a story about family?       

@kboramint "Why do people on this forum feel like the two main leads in every K-Dramas need to have a romance connection? Can't we have stories that have no romance, or a story about family?"

I'm guessing some people think it'd be a terrible waste to not see a hot guy like our lead not to have a physical romance. Especially since he's been in the military for a while. Or any hot lead out there.  I'm with you. Who needs it. It takes away from the plot. And it is especially hard to do these romance scenes with precautions in place. They can shot glances at each other I suppose.:wub:

:lol: @kboramint @brooksmom I don’t really begrudge people’s interest in romance. After all, many of the best stories do have some level of romance. For this story, I find it very engaging and I don’t think outright romance is necessary. I don’t mind it being subtly in the background. I definitely do not think it’s appropriate for romance between Joo Won’s character and his mother. It would be icky considering that he does have her DNA. I’m assuming the timeline is linear and therefore when ever he meets her it’s just his mother at a different age and time. His dying mother also warned him about this because she knew if the version of her who meets him again finds out that he’s her son, it can affect his birth. She said she always want him to be born as her son. 

Finished episode 2 and I must admit that I was a little outraged that Alice would allow a person to come back in time to murder someone. It looks like they do have a rule that a client shouldn’t do that but I still say that client should be punished. In any case, it also made me wonder if someone from Alice murdered Jin Gyeom’s mom. I wasn’t sure if it was another organization considering that the time traveler who murdered the owner of the book of prophecy seem to be working for someone else. That is, if there aren’t people in Alice who have other ambitions and are working in secret. 

So Jin Gyeom meets his mother in 2020. She seems to be a teacher at a university. What I don’t understand is how can she look so young in 2050 (30 years from 2020)? Or, is this version of his mother a time traveler? His mother from 2050 was young enough to give birth even if she was 40 years old, which would have made her birth year 2010 or so. I guessing these things will be explained as the story continues. 

This is just my first take on the time 

But 

Lets say Jin gyeom Omma who travel to 1992 is 25 years old ( this is really just a wild guess ) And then she stayed on 1992 timeline for 18 years which means she was 43 when she got killed in 2010. 

So in 2010 someone kill sun young from the future but now you asking why the other character in 2050 didnt age at all when people on current time all age ( for example jin gyeom ) 

I think its maybe connected to power from hotel alice and alice member to stay in time or didnt age at all.

Mind you that jin gyeom shouldnt be born in 1992 but he should have born in 2050. Now when you think about it that means he is the lost one or shouldnt have exist in past and that really dangerous for time traveler because it can create a paradox and jingyeom exsistence can be  a threat for alice

I am thinking that The current yoon tae yi is same age as jin gyeom right now. 

Because her 2050 self is obviously younger than when she was in 2010.  Look at her sister yeonwoo i am confident that she was at most 30 in 2050. 

Now the things is how can they connect and will they reunite as mom and son like before? 

And then the one which i sti got no idea is how can 2050 people from alice member can stay in their self ( from 1992 or 2010 ) but i got feeling the time work different in 2050 and 1992. 

Tell me what your thoughts guys

8 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

So Jin Gyeom meets his mother in 2020. She seems to be a teacher at a university. What I don’t understand is how can she look so young in 2050 (30 years from 2020)? Or, is this version of his mother a time traveler? His mother from 2050 was young enough to give birth even if she was 40 years old, which would have made her birth year 2010 or so. I guessing these things will be explained as the story continues. 

This is just a speculation but I believe Jim Gyeom's mother was born in 2030. Like I said before when TY gave birth in 93, I think she was in her early 20's. She died in 2010, which means she died in her 40's. I think this is TY before she went back in time to 93. I think she first time traveled to 2010.     

Archived