[Drama 2020] Alice, 앨리스

larus

22 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Maybe she was aware of it. But was she aware that she was pregnant? I think she came to know about it when she was taken to the doctor. Before that she thought it be because of the radiation from wormhole. But yeah maybe she did stay being aware of the story. 

Also I wonder what she did with the book. Did she read the rest of it and hid it? or did she just hid it? At the same I am interested about who wrote that book. Not gonna lie at first it felt as if Tae Yi had wrote it, but then the more you think about it the more it seems to be less possible. So I'll think about it again after some more episodes. 

I suppose the timing of her finding out that she was pregnant doesn’t really matter. What matters is that her situation resembled that of the story described in the book of prophecy. I think she took the book precisely because she suspected the book might be referring to her and her child. Otherwise, it was a bad decision to take the book knowing that the organization would probably keep looking for her to retrieve the book. 

I’m wondering where the book is as well. Maybe there will be a flashback of her telling her son a clue that leads to the book although he might not be aware that he has this knowledge. As to the author of the book, it will be interesting to find out. Is it a true prophecy through visions or is it based on the knowledge of someone from a more distant future than 2050?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i read somewhere that says...

"Kim Hee Sun’s character Yoon Tae Yi is a physics professor at Hankook University who finished calculus at the age of six and entered the department of physics at the young age of 15. She is a bold scientist with an overflowing passion, strong pride, outspoken personality, and confident charm. She feels strangely drawn to Park Jin Gyeom, a mysterious man who suddenly appears in her life, and her curiosity sharpens when she’s told that she resembles his late mother. Yoon Tae Yi and Park Jin Gyeom will work together to solve a special secret that involves time travel and fate."

If she entered the physics dept at 15, did her degree, masters and phd for about 10 years, she did be around 24-25 years old now. Meaning when Jingyeom meets her now in 2020, she might just be around 24-25 which makes the timeline right, that she could still be headed for 2050 before 25 years old, then goes to 1992 when she's 25 and gives birth to Jingyeom.

I'm also thinking now, what if Taeyi's identity was stolen by 2050's Taeyi. I mean, from the teasers and everything it just seems like they might just push for a love story with Jingyeom, which is a total no go if they do that if 2020 Taeyi is Jingyeom's mum cause that'd be disgusting. 

It might make sense that way, since Sunyoung says to JinGyeom that all this is her fault (when she was dying). Further, i remember in the conference vids and all, Kim hee sun kept saying she's playing two completely different roles, and was worried that people might see similarities between Sunyoung and Taeyi, when there shouldn't be. 

Further, if you look at Taeyi's personality in 2050, she sounds so different from Taeyi in 2020 - Taeyi in 2020 is crazy, loud, strong and bold personality while 2050's Taeyi as Minhyuk's girlfriend is soft and motherly feels, even before she gave birth to Jingyum. I don't think she should be so different if she remembered her 2020 self so only 2 things could make sense, 1. Her memories were lost when she went to 2050, or 2. her identity was stolen (she could have died and the new Taeyi took her identity).

If she died, and her personality was stolen, that would be really cool, because it means that if Jingyeom tries to keep her alive and save her in this time, the new Taeyi might cease to exist, and not be with Minhyuk, and then Jingyeom wouldn't be a result of MH and TY's love, which means, Jingyeom would cease to exist - which is possibly going to be the biggest setback for the leads in the show. JG choosing to not exist to keep her alive, and TY possibly choosing to die to have him not cease to exist.

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

I suppose the timing of her finding out that she was pregnant doesn’t really matter. What matters is that her situation resembled that of the story described in the book of prophecy. I think she took the book precisely because she suspected the book might be referring to her and her child. Otherwise, it was a bad decision to take the book knowing that the organization would probably keep looking for her to retrieve the book. 

I’m wondering where the book is as well. Maybe there will be a flashback of her telling her son a clue that leads to the book although he might not be aware that he has this knowledge. As to the author of the book, it will be interesting to find out. Is it a true prophecy through visions or is it based on the knowledge of someone from a more distant future than 2050?

I think we also need to know why Tae Yi joined Alice. Of course they must have gone to her as she is a physics Prof. just like Jin Gyeom did. I don't think she just joined them to time travel. But yes, I also think that she did relate her story to that of book's one. Plus we already know she was curious about the contents of the book and read them despite being not having permissions to read the contents. So chances are her objective and Alice's objective were not same.She took it, because she really didn't want it to end up in the hands of Alice Org.

Chances are she never told her son about the book in order to keep him safe. I am sure that the book is still hidden and it was never in the house when she was killed. As for the prophecy, it like you know they say that "it was said like and so this could happen". People who have things to lose don't take risk and believe it. In this one it definitely must be having some significance and I think it must be true. 

What I am also wondering is, maybe 1992 was the farthest they could go in the past. They need that book, its not like the scientist would not have it at least some months ago if not years. Plus the scientist knew that the book was something important and something which should not go in wrong hands (the time travelers).  So in my opinion they can't go back further, because if it was possible, why wouldn't Alice just try to go at least some days back in 1992 from that incident and steal the book. 

10 hours ago, stella77 said:

I finally watched ep 1 and it’s soooo good to see KHS and JW in a drama again and a SCI-FI one too (one of my fav. genre); they both are amazing and so I feel my expectations rise. I didn’t know a thing going in and ohhh they are playing mother and son!!! Unexpected and it will be a bit strange if she plays the love interest later on too (even a different character; why make them look alike?)  ok on to ep 2! 

They are not different characters. TaeYi and SunYoung are the same person. 

13 hours ago, Redpinkboxes said:

So i read somewhere that says...

"Kim Hee Sun’s character Yoon Tae Yi is a physics professor at Hankook University who finished calculus at the age of six and entered the department of physics at the young age of 15. She is a bold scientist with an overflowing passion, strong pride, outspoken personality, and confident charm. She feels strangely drawn to Park Jin Gyeom, a mysterious man who suddenly appears in her life, and her curiosity sharpens when she’s told that she resembles his late mother. Yoon Tae Yi and Park Jin Gyeom will work together to solve a special secret that involves time travel and fate."

If she entered the physics dept at 15, did her degree, masters and phd for about 10 years, she did be around 24-25 years old now. Meaning when Jingyeom meets her now in 2020, she might just be around 24-25 which makes the timeline right, that she could still be headed for 2050 before 25 years old, then goes to 1992 when she's 25 and gives birth to Jingyeom.

I'm also thinking now, what if Taeyi's identity was stolen by 2050's Taeyi. I mean, from the teasers and everything it just seems like they might just push for a love story with Jingyeom, which is a total no go if they do that if 2020 Taeyi is Jingyeom's mum cause that'd be disgusting. 

It might make sense that way, since Sunyoung says to JinGyeom that all this is her fault (when she was dying). Further, i remember in the conference vids and all, Kim hee sun kept saying she's playing two completely different roles, and was worried that people might see similarities between Sunyoung and Taeyi, when there shouldn't be. 

Further, if you look at Taeyi's personality in 2050, she sounds so different from Taeyi in 2020 - Taeyi in 2020 is crazy, loud, strong and bold personality while 2050's Taeyi as Minhyuk's girlfriend is soft and motherly feels, even before she gave birth to Jingyum. I don't think she should be so different if she remembered her 2020 self so only 2 things could make sense, 1. Her memories were lost when she went to 2050, or 2. her identity was stolen (she could have died and the new Taeyi took her identity).

If she died, and her personality was stolen, that would be really cool, because it means that if Jingyeom tries to keep her alive and save her in this time, the new Taeyi might cease to exist, and not be with Minhyuk, and then Jingyeom wouldn't be a result of MH and TY's love, which means, Jingyeom would cease to exist - which is possibly going to be the biggest setback for the leads in the show. JG choosing to not exist to keep her alive, and TY possibly choosing to die to have him not cease to exist.

Firstly if she really is around that age, then we can forget about her being the Scientist's daughter theory. But is there an official post by the drama telling the age of the characters? Or this is just a speculation.

Secondly, Tae Yi is same. There is no second Tae Yi I guess, they won't go for the parallel universe thing there. Plus I hardly doubt they'll go for any kind of romance in the story. We might get some hints, but the focus is gonna be on the main story. Also she apologizing to Jin Gyeom might be because she has been blaming herself because Jin Gyeom became like that because of the radiation from the wormhole. She must have always blamed and must have felt it was her fault.

Park Sun Young and Tae Yi are same. Reason she changed her name is so that she cannot be found easily by Alice and also she knows there is gonna be Yoon Tae Yi in future, so she didn't keep her name. Plus we are to talk about their personalities, I think she is equally bold in 2050s, you see how fiercely she fights the time traveler in 1992 and even shoots him without thinking twice. No matter how bold one is, she'll always love her own child. And she had to keep a low profile in order to survive while being on a run and also for her son. In my opinion Jin Gyeom will get to see how similar Tae Yi and his mother's personalities are. We do see in the preview him realizing she raises the glass over her head after drinking just like his mother used to do. So they are same. 

As for her new Tae Yi taking up the identity, I don't think that's gonna happen. Tae Yi is a physics Prof. which will be the main reason for Alice going to her. She even could have been among the main persons to achieve the time travel. I would agree that maybe they did alter her memories, but I don't feel like it happened. Maybe in Alice Org, everyone is trained to put mission above anything. So Min Hyuk coldly asked her to abort the child, but since she was not originally their member, decided to run away and give birth to Jin Gyeom. 

But Tae Yi dying and her identity being stolen would not really excite me. We'd get TKEM type of story again. Remember in this people from future are coming back, not to kill their past self (because then they would cease to exist), but to meet loved ones, maybe change their destiny or even take revenge. 

Also if you mean 2050s Tae Yi comes, kills 2020 Tae Yi and takes her identity, it would not change anything. Even if she would look young as 2020 one, she would have the body of 50+ year old woman. I don't really think that would match up with anything in the story. If she is random person who steals the identity, then also it would not make sense, because she would be taking identity of a genius physicist. You can't fake being a Prof. 

But once again, I don't really think we should expect romance from this story. 

@kboramint thanks. I realize that after watching episode 2 but it was confusing after seeing the relationship chart previously and people discussing the relationship and previous press emphasized the two different characters etc. 

I don’t mind if the leads will be mother and son and if this is the relationship that is the core focus of the drama. It is refreshing. I would be very disappointed if a romance between the leads is introduced down the line though. I will keep watching to see though because I like the story so far. 

There are a lot of questions but I am sure we`ll find the answers.

I also believe that the daughter of Jang Dong-Sik could be the physicist /professor who looks like Yoon Tae Yi. I think she will have the page that is missing. If she is not that girl the question is who is she and why she is so similar with Yoon Tae Yi?

The scientist Jang Dong Sik is from the future himself. He had twin daughters and traveled in the past with one of them?

Maybe the fact that the time travelers left traces in the past, even things from the future, can contribute to the discovery of time travel itself.

If Yoon Tae Yi from 2050 (before she was pregnant and took the travel in 1992) traveled in 2020, I can see how if she will die, Park Jin Gyeom will cease to exist.

The clients of Alice project are very rich. I am glad that it was said that it is against the rules to kill someone in that time travel. It is a dangerous business. And how a client like crazy Yang Hong-Seob could make himself the travel so easily? Something ity is not right at Alice project.

And there are two fractions? Like that man who killed Jang Dong-Sik before Tae Yi and Min Hyuk arrived there. That man worked for someone else.

Why Min Hyuk did not travel in the past after his son was born and take both Tae Yi and her child back in their time? Why Tae Yi/ Park Sun young was killed?

1 hour ago, larus said:

There are a lot of questions but I am sure we`ll find the answers.

I also believe that the daughter of Jang Dong-Sik could be the physicist /professor who looks like Yoon Tae Yi. I think she will have the page that is missing. If she is not that girl the question is who is she and why she is so similar with Yoon Tae Yi?

The scientist Jang Dong Sik is from the future himself. He had twin daughters and traveled in the past with one of them?

Maybe the fact that the time travelers left traces in the past, even things from the future, can contribute to the discovery of time travel itself.

If Yoon Tae Yi from 2050 (before she was pregnant and took the travel in 1992) traveled in 2020, I can see how if she will die, Park Jin Gyeom will cease to exist.

The clients of Alice project are very rich. I am glad that it was said that it is against the rules to kill someone in that time travel. It is a dangerous business. And how a client like crazy Yang Hong-Seob could make himself the travel so easily? Something ity is not right at Alice project.

And there are two fractions? Like that man who killed Jang Dong-Sik before Tae Yi and Min Hyuk arrived there. That man worked for someone else.

Why Min Hyuk did not travel in the past after his son was born and take both Tae Yi and her child back in their time? Why Tae Yi/ Park Sun young was killed?

Firstly Physics Prof does not look like Yoon Tae Yi, she actually is Yoon Tae Yi. By this I mean her name is Yoon Tae Yi. Tae Yi after staying in 1992 changed her name to Park Sun Young. That's why Tae Yi before dying told Jin Gyeom not to get involved with anyone who looks like her. So speculations are whether she is the daughter of that scientist or not. Let's see whether she actually is or not. If Jang Dong Shik having twin daughters could also be a possibility, with one being left in future. But still we need to see what happens. But the fact that Tae Yi told Jin Gyeom not to get involved with her in future, she knows that she exists in future. So the Prof is Yoon Tae Yi only, because well, even their names are same.

I don't think Yoon Tae Yi from 2050 traveled to 2020. Yoon Tae Yi is said to be a genius student and a competent Prof in a prestigious University. So anyone faking her identity (even if she looks purely like her), is very difficult. I think 2020 Yoon Tae Yi travels to future after discovering time travel, gets involved with Alice. 

There is clearly conflicts happening within Alice Project. But the man who killed Jang Dong Shik is not part of Alice. He seemed to be part of other organization who also is involved in time travels. 

As for Min Hyuk, he clearly chose Alice over Tae Yi and his son. He did not even listen to the director of Alice when he was about to tell him about his son. So he really does not seem to have any attachment to Jin Gyeom for now. Maybe in future, they'll pair up when he'll come to know about Tae Yi's death and the fact that someone from Alice was involved in it. 

Tae Yi had the book which Alice were looking for. They must have searched for her to get the book. Killed her for both betraying the Alice Org and also not giving out the location of the book. 

57 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Firstly Physics Prof does not look like Yoon Tae Yi, she actually is Yoon Tae Yi. By this I mean her name is Yoon Tae Yi. Tae Yi after staying in 1992 changed her name to Park Sun Young. That's why Tae Yi before dying told Jin Gyeom not to get involved with anyone who looks like her. So speculations are whether she is the daughter of that scientist or not. Let's see whether she actually is or not. If Jang Dong Shik having twin daughters could also be a possibility, with one being left in future. But still we need to see what happens. But the fact that Tae Yi told Jin Gyeom not to get involved with her in future, she knows that she exists in future. So the Prof is Yoon Tae Yi only, because well, even their names are same.

I don't think Yoon Tae Yi from 2050 traveled to 2020. Yoon Tae Yi is said to be a genius student and a competent Prof in a prestigious University. So anyone faking her identity (even if she looks purely like her), is very difficult. I think 2020 Yoon Tae Yi travels to future after discovering time travel, gets involved with Alice. 

There is clearly conflicts happening within Alice Project. But the man who killed Jang Dong Shik is not part of Alice. He seemed to be part of other organization who also is involved in time travels. 

As for Min Hyuk, he clearly chose Alice over Tae Yi and his son. He did not even listen to the director of Alice when he was about to tell him about his son. So he really does not seem to have any attachment to Jin Gyeom for now. Maybe in future, they'll pair up when he'll come to know about Tae Yi's death and the fact that someone from Alice was involved in it. 

Tae Yi had the book which Alice were looking for. They must have searched for her to get the book. Killed her for both betraying the Alice Org and also not giving out the location of the book. 

I agree with all of your post above.  Regarding Tae Yi, the fact that she told Jin Gyeom to avoid anyone who looks like her, tells us that she knew that there is a real possibility that her son will run into her again in the future. She even added that she wants him to be born her son again. To me that's her telling him that if her future self learns of his existence, it might eliminate his existence since she might not take the same path that would lead to her getting with Jin Gyeom's father and therefore, Jin Gyeom will no longer exist. To me anyone who looks like  her and bears her name is probably her. 

4 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I think 2020 Yoon Tae Yi travels to future after discovering time travel, gets involved with Alice. 

Yes, that could be a posibility. I did not think of that but it is possible. So both Tae Yi were living on the same time (1992-2020)?

Professor Yoon Tae yi will discover time travel and she will colaborate with her son without knowing that Park Jin-Gyeom is her son. If she will find out about 1992 and about her son I think she will chose to go in the future and work with Alice to have Jin Gyeom but I wonder if she will make the decision to travel in 1992 again if she knows what would happended. Maybe she would avoid that time travel and decide to have the baby in 2050 instead.

I don`t have any idea how things will going to end. Time travels are complicated stuff. :D

48 minutes ago, larus said:

Yes, that could be a posibility. I did not think of that but it is possible. So both Tae Yi were living on the same time (1992-2020)?

Professor Yoon Tae yi will discover time travel and she will colaborate with her son without knowing that Park Jin-Gyeom is her son. If she will find out about 1992 and about her son I think she will chose to go in the future and work with Alice to have Jin Gyeom but I wonder if she will make the decision to travel in 1992 again if she knows what would happended. Maybe she would avoid that time travel and decide to have the baby in 2050 instead.

I don`t have any idea how things will going to end. Time travels are complicated stuff. :D

Short answer, yes they lived in same time. That's one of the reasons why Yoon Tae Yi changed her name to Park Sun Young. The other being so she would not be tracked by the Alice.

Let me try to explain what would have happened. 

Firstly let's consider the first time, Yoon Tae Yi does not have any knowledge about time travel. She has not been involved with the Alice yet and Jin Gyeom is not born. She is a genius Physicist teaching in a Prestigious University. Now she either gets involved with the time travelers and Alice Org, or they scout her because she is competent physicist. Listening about time travel being possible must have been intriguing for her and she joins the Alice. What I really think is that the farthest they can go in past is 1992. Because even if Alice lost the book to Tae Yi, they could have gone further in past to retrieve the book. So I think they used Tae Yi's knowledge to be able to go to 1992, which they had been unable to. 

Now every that thing happens which we saw in the first episode. The reason Tae Yi took the book and stayed is partly because she did not trust Alice and also because she was pregnant. But the reason she kept the book was because she didn't Alice. So Tae Yi knows that she exists in the future and Jin Gyeom meeting and getting involved with her might actually cause time paradox and might even affect his own existence. 

I think since she gets involved with Jin Gyeom, things might end up being different. May not necessarily affect his existence, but yes I don't actually see her going the Alice way. We also need to see how much changing the past (as the time travelers have been trying to do) affects the future and will future affect Jin Gyeom's past since they are connected. I mean we already saw a time-traveler killing his step-brother who used to bully him, so now things will definitely change for him, but will it affect the time-traveler or not. They might go "The Avengers Endgame" way where they said altering the past won't affect present, it'll create another timeline other than the current present. If it is so, then it'll be interesting how Jin Gyeom will be dealing with things. I guess we'll get to know more how this time travel works and what kind of theory they are following in this one. 

10 hours ago, Eliza Marlowe said:

Min Hyuk is Jin Gyeom's father, right??

You know what, I was also wondering the same thing.

One of the reasons I feel this way is because of the way Jin Gyeom's mom seemed to emphasise that it was her baby and the way that Min Hyuk seemed almost indifferent to the fact that his partner was pregnant. Also the almost nonchalant way he told her to get an abortion. Or he is just really dedicated to Alice.

Maybe I am just overthinking :idk:

In terms of the time-space conundrum from what we have seen so far, the "Future" people can travel into the "Past", using that device, or so I presume. We do not know yet if the "Future" people can travel into the future as well. Also, the way I have understood, in the future realm time moves slowly; from 1992 to 2020, we have a lapse of 28 years in the "past"; in the future only 1 year has passed - 2050 to 2051. So, if time slows as an object approaches the speed of light , this might explain why travelling through time exposes them to radiation as well. Of course the laws of cause and effect also would come into play and this is the fundamental reason why murder is not allowed. 

Jin Gyeom's mom, by staying back already caused a glitch. Then we have Jin Gyeom who was conceived in the future, but born in the past. Technically Jin would have been a year old in the future. As much as Jin Gyeom's mom was probably killed for not "handing over" what she knew, I wonder if it was also out of necessity?!

In my earlier post I had said that Jin Gyeom's mom was probably born around 2020, putting her at around 30 in 2050. Now if as @Sleepy Owl has suggested Tae Yi traveled to the future, and given that 30 to 31 years is roughly over 1 year in the future, she would stop ageing. Also had Jin Gyeom's mom still been alive and if we go with the premise that Tae Yi and her are the same, then you would have two like objects in the same space. So this makes we wonder if she was told to go back and because she refused she was killed? 

I guess the weekend could not come fast enough :happy2:

I am of the opinion that Min Hyuk is Jin Gyeom’s father. I believe the way  Tae Yi said it’s her baby is a defensive way of saying that although the father of her child told her to abort the baby, the fact is the child is in her body and therefore it’s hers regardless of the father’s opinion. It’s also her way of saying she will protect her baby.

Archived