[Drama 2020] Alice, 앨리스

larus

@Sleepy Owl

Yes - her age when she entered University was released in the synopsis in Korean.  Also in the video below where she says she entered uni at 15.

However, this video makes me confused, because she says she's 32 in the current time. Meaning she was born in 1989 (Korean age is one year more) - 3 years apart from Jingyeom. However, if no additional time travelling occurred the little girl can't be Taeyi (since in 1992, she seems to be about 7 years old - however Taeyi should only be 3 years old then).

However, I am certain now that the little girl is Taeyi because on the homepage website, it lists the child star Kim Ji Yu as Young Yoon Taeyi, also if you go to the girl's Instagram,

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEgdh4jl6Z3/

Which means, more time travelling happened with Professor Jang. Unless the little girl isn't 7 but really 3, and just looks older for her age. Because in this same timeline, Jingyeom was born, and young Taeyi grows up without ANY time travelling from 1992 till 2020. So for her to be 32 in 2020, it means she had to be 3 years old in 1992.

Could it be that the timeline has changed since time traveling started in the parallel universe?

Anyway, to give more context on what i will explain below...

Here is the official introduction from the homepage of Alice.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/alice2020/about/63365

“Any sufficiently researched/advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

충분히 발달한 과학 기술은 마법과 구별할 수 없다.”

우리가 사는 이 세상에 미래에서 온 ‘시간여행자’들이 존재한다!
In the world we live in now, there is the existence of time travelers from the future.
그들로 인해 세상은 혼란에 빠지고
Because of them, the world is in chaos.
시간여행을 막으려는 자와 지키려는 자의 대결이 시작된다.
The confrontation between the people who wants to stop time travelling, and the people who wants to protect time travelling has begun.
그리고, 시간여행으로 인해 헤어져야 했지만,
And though they separated because of time travelling, 
시간여행으로 인해 다시 만난 남녀의 놀라운 이야기가 펼쳐진다.
An amazing story of a man and woman who meets again due to time travelling unfolds.
내가 아닌, 또 다른 나
Not me, but another version of me.
그들이 온다.
They are coming.

And here is the introduction for Taeyi's character. I'm not going to translate Jingyeom's one as we know most of it in his one, but Taeyi's one seems to give us more context on everything.

여. 32세. 1989년생. 한국대 물리학과 교수
Female, 32, 1989 - Korea university, department of physics professor.

“아니 왜 자꾸 나만 보면 울어요?”
"Why do you always cry when you see me?"

6살에 미적분을 풀고 15살에 한국대 물리학과에 수석 입학한 천재. 
A genius who finished calculus at the age of 6 and entered the department of physics at the age of 15.

막강한 자존심과 건강한 까칠함과, 한 번 친해지면 더 까칠하게 구는 예측불허의 매력을 지녔다. 화려한 외모에 넘치는 열정 때문에 사람들이 자신을 오해한다고 생각하지만, 사실은 오해 받을 짓을 너무 많이 하는 게 문제. 오죽하면 부모가 제발 독립하라고, 제발 집에서 나가라고 등 떠밀었을까. 하지만 태이는 과학으로 세상을 바꿔보고 싶은 욕심과 도전정신을 가진 외강 내강의 당찬 여성 과학자다.

Though she has a strong pride and is super tough, the moment you get to know her, you'll find an undeniable charm in her. Because of her extravagant beauty, people often misunderstand it for confidence, but the problem is because there's too much misunderstanding. Maybe it was because her parents pushed her to be independent and to get out of the house.  However, Taeyi is a scientist that has the desire of changing the world inside out with science.

이런 그녀 앞에 정말 이상한 남자가 나타난다. 자신을 한참 예쁠 때라고 자부하는 그녀에게 혹시 쉰 살이 넘었냐고 묻고, 혹시 아들을 출산한 적 없냐고 묻는 재수 없는 형사가 나타난 것. 바로 진겸이다. 스토커처럼 쫓아다니다가도 가끔씩 자기를 보며 우니, 도대체 이제는 이 남자 정체가 궁금할 지경. 

However, a really strange man appears in front of her. Right when she was most confidently beautiful, a detective keeps asking her if she has ever given birth to a son, and if she is over 50. He is Jingyeom. He follows her like a stalker, however, sometimes when he looks at her, he just cries. She becomes curious of the identity of this man.

그러던 중 태이는 진겸과 함께 범인의 정체를 알 수 없는 미스터리한 사건들을 쫓게 된다. 그로 인해 태이는 큰 위기에 빠진다. 시간여행자들이 태이의 목숨을 노리기 시작한 것. 아직 본인은 잘 모르지만 태이는 시간여행의 키를 쥐고 있는 인물이다.

During this time, Taeyi and Jingyeom work together to find the criminal of a mysterious crime. Because of this, Taeyi's life is in huge danger, as the time travelers start to aim for Taeyi's life. Even though she doesn't know it yet, she holds the key to time travel. 

^^ from the above, it means in this new timeline, where dad died and gave her the one page from the prophecy book, she somehow doesn't know what it was about but has kept it till this age - "holding the key to time travel". 

This time, she doesn't help start alice, but she is actually the target of Alice^^.

So back to the point i said about could it be that the timeline has changed since time traveling started in the parallel universe?

Meaning in the ORIGINAL timeline, she was 25 when she went from 2020 to 2050 (and she didn't meet jingyeom in 2020 back then because jingyeom didn't exist in that universe at the point), then went to1992 where she gave birth to Jingyeom. However, now that the world has changed cause of time travel and there is new existence (jingyeom) etc, the timeline has shifted. Hence she never learns of Alice till 32 this time, in comparison to the original timeline when she came to know of alice at 25.

Nonetheless, if she time travels to Alice in the future after she meets Jingyeom, she did have to be 32-33 - But upon giving birth to Jingyeom in 1992, Park sun young's age was known to be 25. Which means, even if she faked her age as well (since she faked her identity), it shouldn't be far off from her age then. This could possibly mean that because Jingyeom and her meet this time and work together, she won't end up going to 2050 then to 1992 - and would never given birth to Jingyeom.

The timeline changes would all make sense now because in the original one before time travelling existed, Taeyi would have just grown up under Prof Jang's care, then turn 25 and then join Alice, meet Minhyuk then go to 1992. Which would make sense cause growing up under her dad's care would have made her more curious about time traveling and everything - I'm thinking her dad would have guided her more. 

What i'm confused about is that I'm pretty sure she wrote the book, from the way it was narrated. Meaning in the original timeline, it would have somehow ended up in 1992 before she travels there.

Time traveling stories like that are often super confusing and would have a lot of flaws from the writer, but i'm hoping this drama will have a good explanation for everything!

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

The reason Tae Yi took the book and stayed is partly because she did not trust Alice

Wait?! She took the book of prophecy with her?

Okay, so I have re-watched the episode and I can see the book beside her while she was traveling in the train. But she didn't mentioned this in the letter and gave Min-Hyuk about it, I mean it's obvious that he will notice it but if the book was important why didn't she mentioned it in the letter that "She is taking it with her'"

1 hour ago, Redpinkboxes said:

@Sleepy Owl

Yes - her age when she entered University was released in the synopsis in Korean.  Also in the video below where she says she entered uni at 15.

However, this video makes me confused, because she says she's 32 in the current time. Meaning she was born in 1989 (Korean age is one year more) - 3 years apart from Jingyeom. However, if no additional time travelling occurred the little girl can't be Taeyi (since in 1992, she seems to be about 7 years old - however Taeyi should only be 3 years old then).

However, I am certain now that the little girl is Taeyi because on the homepage website, it lists the child star Kim Ji Yu as Young Yoon Taeyi, also if you go to the girl's Instagram,

Which means, more time travelling happened with Professor Jang. Unless the little girl isn't 7 but really 3, and just looks older for her age. Because in this same timeline, Jingyeom was born, and young Taeyi grows up without ANY time travelling from 1992 till 2020. So for her to be 32 in 2020, it means she had to be 3 years old in 1992.

Could it be that the timeline has changed since time traveling started in the parallel universe?

Anyway, to give more context on what i will explain below...

Here is the official introduction from the homepage of Alice.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/alice2020/about/63365

“Any sufficiently researched/advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

충분히 발달한 과학 기술은 마법과 구별할 수 없다.”

우리가 사는 이 세상에 미래에서 온 ‘시간여행자’들이 존재한다!
In the world we live in now, there is the existence of time travelers from the future.
그들로 인해 세상은 혼란에 빠지고
Because of them, the world is in chaos.
시간여행을 막으려는 자와 지키려는 자의 대결이 시작된다.
The confrontation between the people who wants to stop time travelling, and the people who wants to protect time travelling has begun.
그리고, 시간여행으로 인해 헤어져야 했지만,
And though they separated because of time travelling, 
시간여행으로 인해 다시 만난 남녀의 놀라운 이야기가 펼쳐진다.
An amazing story of a man and woman who meets again due to time travelling unfolds.
내가 아닌, 또 다른 나
Not me, but another version of me.
그들이 온다.
They are coming.

And here is the introduction for Taeyi's character. I'm not going to translate Jingyeom's one as we know most of it in his one, but Taeyi's one seems to give us more context on everything.

여. 32세. 1989년생. 한국대 물리학과 교수
Female, 32, 1989 - Korea university, department of physics professor.

“아니 왜 자꾸 나만 보면 울어요?”
"Why do you always cry when you see me?"

6살에 미적분을 풀고 15살에 한국대 물리학과에 수석 입학한 천재. 
A genius who finished calculus at the age of 6 and entered the department of physics at the age of 15.

막강한 자존심과 건강한 까칠함과, 한 번 친해지면 더 까칠하게 구는 예측불허의 매력을 지녔다. 화려한 외모에 넘치는 열정 때문에 사람들이 자신을 오해한다고 생각하지만, 사실은 오해 받을 짓을 너무 많이 하는 게 문제. 오죽하면 부모가 제발 독립하라고, 제발 집에서 나가라고 등 떠밀었을까. 하지만 태이는 과학으로 세상을 바꿔보고 싶은 욕심과 도전정신을 가진 외강 내강의 당찬 여성 과학자다.

Though she has a strong pride and is super tough, the moment you get to know her, you'll find an undeniable charm in her. Because of her extravagant beauty, people often misunderstand it for confidence, but the problem is because there's too much misunderstanding. Maybe it was because her parents pushed her to be independent and to get out of the house.  However, Taeyi is a scientist that has the desire of changing the world inside out with science.

이런 그녀 앞에 정말 이상한 남자가 나타난다. 자신을 한참 예쁠 때라고 자부하는 그녀에게 혹시 쉰 살이 넘었냐고 묻고, 혹시 아들을 출산한 적 없냐고 묻는 재수 없는 형사가 나타난 것. 바로 진겸이다. 스토커처럼 쫓아다니다가도 가끔씩 자기를 보며 우니, 도대체 이제는 이 남자 정체가 궁금할 지경. 

However, a really strange man appears in front of her. Right when she was most confidently beautiful, a detective keeps asking her if she has ever given birth to a son, and if she is over 50. He is Jingyeom. He follows her like a stalker, however, sometimes when he looks at her, he just cries. She becomes curious of the identity of this man.

그러던 중 태이는 진겸과 함께 범인의 정체를 알 수 없는 미스터리한 사건들을 쫓게 된다. 그로 인해 태이는 큰 위기에 빠진다. 시간여행자들이 태이의 목숨을 노리기 시작한 것. 아직 본인은 잘 모르지만 태이는 시간여행의 키를 쥐고 있는 인물이다.

During this time, Taeyi and Jingyeom work together to find the criminal of a mysterious crime. Because of this, Taeyi's life is in huge danger, as the time travelers start to aim for Taeyi's life. Even though she doesn't know it yet, she holds the key to time travel. 

^^ from the above, it means in this new timeline, where dad died and gave her the one page from the prophecy book, she somehow doesn't know what it was about but has kept it till this age - "holding the key to time travel". 

This time, she doesn't help start alice, but she is actually the target of Alice^^.

So back to the point i said about could it be that the timeline has changed since time traveling started in the parallel universe?

Meaning in the ORIGINAL timeline, she was 25 when she went from 2020 to 2050 (and she didn't meet jingyeom in 2020 back then because jingyeom didn't exist in that universe at the point), then went to1992 where she gave birth to Jingyeom. However, now that the world has changed cause of time travel and there is new existence (jingyeom) etc, the timeline has shifted. Hence she never learns of Alice till 32 this time, in comparison to the original timeline when she came to know of alice at 25.

Nonetheless, if she time travels to Alice in the future after she meets Jingyeom, she did have to be 32-33 - But upon giving birth to Jingyeom in 1992, Park sun young's age was known to be 25. Which means, even if she faked her age as well (since she faked her identity), it shouldn't be far off from her age then. This could possibly mean that because Jingyeom and her meet this time and work together, she won't end up going to 2050 then to 1992 - and would never given birth to Jingyeom.

The timeline changes would all make sense now because in the original one before time travelling existed, Taeyi would have just grown up under Prof Jang's care, then turn 25 and then join Alice, meet Minhyuk then go to 1992. Which would make sense cause growing up under her dad's care would have made her more curious about time traveling and everything - I'm thinking her dad would have guided her more. 

What i'm confused about is that I'm pretty sure she wrote the book, from the way it was narrated. Meaning in the original timeline, it would have somehow ended up in 1992 before she travels there.

Time traveling stories like that are often super confusing and would have a lot of flaws from the writer, but i'm hoping this drama will have a good explanation for everything!

Yeah I checked about it after reading this post, and yes that little is casted as young Yoon Tae Yi in the asianwiki website that I usually check. Thanks for making this thing clear for everyone. If Yoon Tae Yi is that Dr. Jang Dong Shik's daughter, then things become much simpler. One of the many reasons I thought she would not be that young girl was for the same. I really hoped there would be another character for, since she was not introduced, she could actually enter the drama as a wild-card. But let's see how the story develops now that it is somewhat confirmed the young girl was Yoon Tae Yi. I'll actually wait for some confirmation within the drama too, maybe we'll get to see present Yoon Tae Yi using/looking at the final page of the book her father gave. I just hope they don't really want to confuse us. I actually checked the 1992 scene and no where we got to hear that girl's name. 

So if Yoon Tae Yi really is Dr. Jang Dong Shik's daughter, one of the two things could have happened. 

1. Jang Dong Shik was not killed. Had the book, but did not pass it on to Tae Yi because he was against time traveling. Alice scout Tae Yi in around 2015-16 when she would be 25-26 years old. They inform her of a book which her father had, but didn't pass it on to her. As I have said, I still believe that there was some and is some limit how much they could go back in time. Tae Yi gets trained, and as many said gets her memory wiped, works with Alice and finds a way to go back to 1992. Rest we all know.

2. Jang Dong Shik gets killed, but either book or the last page of book is missing. They suspect it to be in possession of Tae Yi, which actually is not. They go to her, scout her and then all I said above repeats. 

What really is still making me doubtful is that if they had already said in the casting that the young girl is Tae Yi, they could actually show that she feeling the place or events be familiar. Which we don't really see. Which makes me actually wonder as @larus said there are twins involved. 

As for the time travel thing and Jin Gyeom getting involved means the events of past and future will be affected. Now I really am thinking that whatever he does, will create an alternate timeline in the past. Meaning the present might not be affected by it. I'd actually be a little disappointed if that happens, because I really wanted to see how he would protect his existence while also trying to stop the events which would lead to the 1992 event. But looking at things, I think alternate timelines get created. 

As for the author, even I think Tae Yi could have written it. And I think present 2020 Tae Yi wrote it (the one who meets Jin Gyeom). No one else would know about Jin Gyeom's story except her. I think she wrote it, moved much back in past and handed it to Jang Dong Shik, you know just what happened in "Faith". But as we have been told, the story ends tragically. So we'll have to see how things unfold and tragic it would be. I think the book actually contains how Alice comes to an end too, that becomes their reason to pursue it. 

Let's hope the drama continues being good after a strong start. I am actually loving how they are making us think hard right from the start. But once again, the girl shown was much older than a 3-4 year old. The girl casted is 7-8 year old which is literally double of that. Plus 3-4 years old usually don't have much intelligence in regard of following instructions and keeping silent when things like a murder of family happens. We saw how much the girl stopped herself from making a sound and crying silently. So maybe the info of her being Tae Yi could be a red-herring. Let's see what happens in Friday's episode.  

@kireeti2 When Min Hyuk comes back to the room after evading Police, he sees the safe in which the book was open. So she didn't mention it because she knew that he would have already observed it. I think she didn't really need to explain to him. Maybe (I highly doubt this), but maybe also to cause confusion. There was already a group who was after that book, so she may have not included to keep Min Hyuk confused as to who took the book. But as I said, I doubt this one, because it was obvious that she took it with her.

^^ Maybe not twins - could be twins, but also could be due to the fact that her memory was possibly wiped going to Alice from 2020 to 2050. 

That would explain her not recognizing her dad (as in the first timeline, she probably didn't get foster parents and possibly grew up with her dad). 

Otherwise, as for in the second timeline, when her dad was killed, she could have lost her memory from that moment due to shock - hence she screamed she didn't know her name. Also, that would explain her bright personality in 2020 as the current Yoon tae yi we will see in ep 3 - I don't believe a little girl who witness her dad dying can grow up to be such a cheery, crazy, confident lady. So it's quite possible she lost her memory due to shock upon her dad dying, so she would then forget about the one page that she was told to keep and how her dad died.

The funny thing is that Yoon Taeyi also said she saw Jingyeom's mum - in one of the teasers, theres a scene where Kim hee sun rocks her fashion trend hair band (she herself made famous in the 90s), and the voiceover was her saying that she think she met Jingyeom's mum before. Either they were confusing us with the teaser, or that multiple versions from different universes of Taeyi were in that same timeline due to time travels.

Yeah hoping they did explain the age thing of why Young Taeyi was looking about 7 years old in 1992 when she should be 3 years old.

Maybe it could be that for some reason they put her as 3 years old after her dad died, when she was actually 7 - hahah jokes then her age would be fake, and she would be entering uni at a normal time (15+4=19 years old) and be actually 36 now in 2020.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

What really is still making me doubtful is that if they had already said in the casting that the young girl is Tae Yi, they could actually show that she feeling the place or events be familiar. Which we don't really see.

Maybe she doesn`t remember.

Jang Dong Shik was killed in 1992. But if they were not from the future, how come he was not susprised that the killer came from 2050? It is written in the book? He was a physicist as well. Maybe he had an idea about the time travel/ worked on the project but his daughter discovered the technology of time travel. How that book was in Jang Dong Shik`s posesion? It was easier to assume that he came from the future because of that but if he did not came from the future, he was in contact with someone who did the time travel. Maybe Yoon Tae Yi from the future gave him the book and talked about Alice project? She had second thoughts about the project?

41 minutes ago, larus said:

Maybe she doesn`t remember.

Jang Dong Shik was killed in 1992. But if they were not from the future, how come he was not susprised that the killer came from 2050? It is written in the book? He was a physicist as well. Maybe he had an idea about the time travel/ worked on the project but his daughter discovered the technology of time travel. How that book was in Jang Dong Shik`s posesion? It was easier to assume that he came from the future because of that but if he did not came from the future, he was in contact with someone who did the time travel. Maybe Yoon Tae Yi from the future gave him the book and talked about Alice project? She had second thoughts about the project?

As for the author, even I think Tae Yi could have written it. And I think present 2020 Tae Yi wrote it (the one who meets Jin Gyeom). No one else would know about Jin Gyeom's story except her. I think she wrote it, moved much back in past and handed it to Jang Dong Shik, you know just what happened in "Faith". But as we have been told, the story ends tragically. So we'll have to see how things unfold and tragic it would be. I think the book actually contains how Alice comes to an end too, that becomes their reason to pursue it. This is the case if present 2020 Tae Yi wrote the book.

Jang Song Shik not getting surprised maybe because he got the book from a time traveler or he already knows about time travel from the book. He removed the last page of the book as it would be the final piece of the puzzle, he clearly knows about the contents of the book. Him being not surprised is because he either knows people will come for the book or people have already come for the book but failed to take it. We see him hiding a gun under the table, so it seems he was ready for cases like that.

Like we all know it happened in drama Faith, right? When we first saw we thought how all those instruments were already present and when story was about to end, we saw the FL had traveled much back in history. So this could have happened here too. 1992 Yoon Tae Yi/ Park Sun Young didn't know about the story in the book. If that story really is Jin Gyeom's, then it has to be written who knows all about it. We Jin Gyeom is not the writer type of guy, which leaves it to present Yoon Tae Yi who is a Professor. After destroying/defeating Alice and things ending somewhat tragically (as they said the book's story has a tragic ending), maybe Tae Yi went back in past, gave it to Jang Dong Shik, so they could use this book to prevent Alice Project. But yeah, I am sure even 2050 Tae Yi didn't have full faith in Alice or she had her own agenda of finding that book and hiding it from Alice.

46 minutes ago, Redpinkboxes said:

The funny thing is that Yoon Taeyi also said she saw Jingyeom's mum - in one of the teasers, theres a scene where Kim hee sun rocks her fashion trend hair band (she herself made famous in the 90s), and the voiceover was her saying that she think she met Jingyeom's mum before. Either they were confusing us with the teaser, or that multiple versions from different universes of Taeyi were in that same timeline due to time travels.

Yeah hoping they did explain the age thing of why Young Taeyi was looking about 7 years old in 1992 when she should be 3 years old.

Maybe you are right that the trauma was too much for her that she just forgot it. As for the teaser, I didn't see it, neither did I see any trailer or interviews regarding this drama. But Yoon Tae Yi could have seen Park Sun Young a.k.a Jin Gyeom's mom. They lived in the same timeline and till 2010 Par Sun Young was alive. At that time Tae Yi would have been 20-21 years old, could have seen Park Sun Young and remembered her because she would look exactly like her.

Let me tell you they'll probably not include multiple universes in this. Time travel is already a complex theory, multiple universe would just make it very hard for them to explain things and wrap up things. I think only two Tae Yi existed at one time Park Sun Young and Tae Yi the Prof. But now only one remains. 

As for the child actress, either it really is a red herring. I was actually going to place my bet on Yoon Tae Yi;s younger sister being that girl but now that Tae Yi is already 1989 born, she would be much younger than her. Maybe they chose that actress because it was hard them to make a younger actress act in that scene. We'll see how they'll explain things. 

17 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Let me tell you they'll probably not include multiple universes in this. Time travel is already a complex theory, multiple universe would just make it very hard for them to explain things and wrap up things.

I agree. i don`t want a multiple universes story. I have enough a hard time following the time travels. :D Why complicate things?

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

When Min Hyuk comes back to the room after evading Police, he sees the safe in which the book was open. So she didn't mention it because she knew that he would have already observed it. I think she didn't really need to explain to him. Maybe (I highly doubt this), but maybe also to cause confusion. There was already a group who was after that book, so she may have not included to keep Min Hyuk confused as to who took the book. But as I said, I doubt this one, because it was obvious that she took it with her.

I think this is sort of hole in the plot, like, taking the book will put a target on her back and also it might put hers and her child's life at risk. I sort of felt its an irrational move for a badass agent like her. Given that she evaded the Alice agents for 18 years and was able to get a whole new identity

5 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I think this is sort of hole in the plot, like, taking the book will put a target on her back and also it might put hers and her child's life at risk. I sort of felt its an irrational move for a badass agent like her. Given that she evaded the Alice agents for 18 years and was able to get a whole new identity

Maybe her main objective was to retrieve the book and not let it get into the hands of Alice. If she actually was the typical Alice agent, she'd just take the book back without looking inside it. Also the story was interesting, but it did not mean that she should just take it away. I am sure she taking away the book was not an reckless move by her. As you said it would put a target in her and her child. But maybe that was needed to be done. We already know about conflicts within Alice. We still need to see why Tae Yi joined Alice. She really could have had a different agenda and it could be taking the book. Maybe she was thinking of doing it when she returned back, but being pregnant she stayed and took the book away.

First Impressions: 3 Reasons “Alice” Should Be On Your To-Watch List

24d5cda261e14b068a7eb2ea567b626c.jpeg?s=

Sep 3, 2020

SBS’s new Friday-Saturday offering is… different, to say the least. But that’s in the best way possible. This is one of those rare sci-fi dramas in K-dramaland, but it’s so well-produced and has such great (read: natural) effects, it’s as if you’re watching a big-budget movie. That plus the amazing acting, the thrilling action, and the storyline that promises to not be so cut-and-dried, and you’re guaranteed to be hooked.

Alice,” starring Kim Hee Sun and Joo Won, is a time-traveling story that remains grounded in human relationships. In the year 2050, people figure out how to time travel and thus take advantage of it to go back in time for various personal reasons. To avoid giving too much away before the spoiler break, just know that this is one atypical K-drama, and you should be watching it if you love great acting and a rich storyline (and really, who doesn’t?).

Here are some reasons this “Alice” premiere should be on your to-watch list:

Warning: Major spoilers ahead

The complex and gripping storyline

The story starts off with Yoon Tae Yi (Kim Hee Sun) and Yoo Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) traveling from 2050 back to 1992 to get their hands on “The Book of Prophecy,” a book that supposedly predicts a sad ending to time travel. However, while in 1992, Tae Yi discovers she’s 12-weeks pregnant. Min Hyuk, who happens to be the father, asks her to abort the baby as she (and the fetus) was exposed to radiation while traveling through the wormhole and would be further exposed when traveling back to 2050. Tae Yi, unable to take her own child’s life, takes off by herself, goes into hiding, and stays permanently in 1992.

Alice-Kim-Hee-Sun-gif-4.gif

Unfortunately, the radiation has already affected the baby’s brain development, causing the child to be lacking in certain social skills such as empathy. But while the child, Jin Gyeom, did display disturbing behavior when he was younger (he harmed animals and insects, without fully understanding the implications of his actions), grown-up Jin Gyeom (Joo Won) seems to have a better grasp of what behavior is acceptable and what isn’t, as he experiences normal grief and pain when his mother is murdered one night.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1422532wpp/first-impressions-3-reasons-alice-should-be-on-your-to-watch-list

10 hours ago, Redpinkboxes said:

@Sleepy Owl

Just wanted to point out Yoo Min Hyuk at 2:00 didn't want to say anything about his character age and said that " The concept of Age is not meaningful to us." in next two question (I don't know what it was asked) he replied that "You'll know if you come to Alice." "I will tell you when you come into Alice." And he is the only character who didn't state his age here. 

This means some things (like Age) will get clearer when the drama lets us see what happens in Alice. 

Alice' Choi Won-young appeared in earnest from the 3rd episode "One of the key player characters"

202009031010770126_5f5043dfcb840.jpg

In the first week of the broadcast, the viewership rate recorded 10.2% (part 2), easily crossing the double digits, and then ranked No. 1 in the entire mini-series. (Nielsen Korea metropolitan area)

This is a script, directing, and action power that draws an exciting subject of time travel. It is a reaction that is the result of the harmonious performance of characters and actors.

Among them, the special characters that are unique to ‘Alice’, the narratives and secrets that each character possesses stimulate curiosity. In 2050, scientist Yoon Tae-i (played by Kim Hee-seon) came to 1992 to find a prophecy related to time travel, and later found out that she was pregnant. Thus, without returning to 2050, he remained alone in 1992, living under the name of Park Sun-young (played by Kim Hee-sun) and gave birth to a child. And on his birthday in 2010, he faced a mysterious death.

Immediately after Park Seon-young's death, a meaningful character appeared in front of Park Seon-young's house. Detective Ko Hyeong-seok (played by Kim Sang-ho), and Seok Oh-won (played by Choi Won-young), a scientist who believes in God. Why they were there at that moment prompted many viewers' reasoning instincts and curiosity.

Meanwhile, on September 3, the production crew of ‘Alice’ is drawing attention by predicting the full-fledged appearance of Seok Oh-won character ahead of the 3rd main broadcast. In the two pictures, Seok Oh-won in the two photos, such as the appearance of looking somewhere with sharp eyes flashing, and deep thoughts while hiding his emotions, induces an incredibly different feeling and atmosphere in the two photos, raising the curiosity of enthusiastic viewers of'Alice'. (Google translate)

http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=8622389

Alice: Episode 1

by LollyPip

Alice01-00318.jpg

What if humans could travel back in time, and meet their loved ones or ancestors again? Would this be a good thing, or would it create disastrous ripples in past, present, and future? SBS’s new paranormal drama, Alice, asks these questions, as we follow the life of a man whose very existence is all thanks to the discovery of time travel.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

Alice01-00014.jpg

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. – Arthur Clarke

Three blood-red drones race through the sky and through a sort of portal in midair, ending up at a futuristic-looking building in the mountains. The building’s interior is quite impressive, with robots and advanced technology everywhere.

A man and a woman drive down a winding mountain road, as the woman tells us in voiceover:

Alice01-00016.jpg

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/alice-episode-1/

22 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I lil bit confused by this kind of drama storyline. But i will try so hard to keep watching. 

And now my question is, where's the book she took after she was killed?

I think Gyeom only have his mommy Alice card in the box.

1 hour ago, holyfea said:

And now my question is, where's the book she took after she was killed?

Maybe the guy who killed her took it, that's why Alice was able to operate for so long

1 hour ago, holyfea said:

lil bit confused by this kind of drama storyline. But i will try so hard to keep watching. 

It's good thing you are confused in the beginning of the drama than at the end of the drama , even I am bit confused about Kim Hee Seon's character, like how the 2020 person will fit in the whole story, so we need to watch further episodes to clear our confusions

Joo Won And Kim Hee Sun Are On Different Pages Following A Shocking First Encounter In “Alice”

8d56948cab9c4451a7df33250e467ced.jpeg?s=

Sep 4, 2020
by S. Nam

SBS’s Friday-Saturday drama “Alice” released new stills of Joo Won, Kim Hee Sun, and Kwak Si Yang!

“Alice” is a sci-fi drama about an emotionless detective (Joo Won) who learns about the existence of time travel as he tracks down his mother’s killer and discovers a woman who looks exactly like his dead mother (Kim Hee Sun).

Spoiler

The previous episode ended on a shocking note when Yoon Tae Yi (Kim Hee Sun) and Park Jin Kyeom (Joo Won) finally met each other. Due to Yoon Tae Yi’s resemblance to Park Jin Kyeom’s mother, Park Jin Kyeom looked at her with a sad gaze and hugged her tightly, surprising Yoon Tae Yi greatly.

New stills of Yoon Tae Yi and Park Jin Kyeom reveal the two having a conversation at Yoon Tae Yi’s office. By looking at their clothes, the scene appears to take place directly after the ending of the second episode. As expected, Yoon Tae Yi looks confused by the absurd situation while Park Jin Kyeom stares back at her in disbelief.

Joo-Won-Kim-Hee-Sun-3.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1423572wpp/joo-won-and-kim-hee-sun-are-on-different-pages-following-a-shocking-first-encounter-in-alice

If Tae Yi is the little girl from episode 1 then there is a possibility that Tae Yi's birth date on all documents is false.  

Random thought: Why does it always seem Chinese restaurants in South Korea only serve two things? Jajangmyeon and Jjamppong. Most of them have Jajangmyeon  like Jin Kyeom

was eating in episode 3 at Tae Yi' parents Chinese restaurant. 

Also... since there is no mention of Tae Yi's family in episode 1. I hope something horrible doesn't happen to them.

Archived