[Drama 2020] Alice, 앨리스

larus

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay i really enjoyed this episode. It had the typical fun banter between the leads but in this case it's unique because they are mother and son. And it helped that after reading the comments here i didn't have such a headache figuring out the mechanics of the time travel in this episode. Oh and the mother son relationship is slowly growing on me. I was not very invested in them at episode 1 despite all the melo stuff they tried to pull. But i am warming up to it.

I do have some questions though. In the second half of the episode the mom who went back in time kills herself. Not the smartest idea you would think. But apparently she still exists. So that throws the idea of a linear timeline in this drama out the window right? I still hope it somehow works. It looks like she has some side effects from either the time travel or maybe because she doesn't exist anymore. So maybe she just has a little time left before she disappears.

46 minutes ago, Fabbo said:

I do have some questions though. In the second half of the episode the mom who went back in time kills herself. Not the smartest idea you would think. But apparently she still exists. So that throws the idea of a linear timeline in this drama out the window right? I still hope it somehow works. It looks like she has some side effects from either the time travel or maybe because she doesn't exist anymore. So maybe she just has a little time left before she disappears.

Have you ever watched Avengers End Game? Remember when Nebula killed her past self? I guess it's kind of like that. I guess this has become a another reality. 

What I'm wondering is how is this effecting the child? Why is covered in rash? 

---

BTW... Min-Hyuk asked why they built Alice  at this location. I think he mean the year 2020. That means the Alice building exists in 2020 and it's hidden away from everyone. Hence being the hotel for time travelers. That means Tae-Yi could have found a way to discover this place.  

No i haven't watched Avengers End Game. But i saw it mentioned here in the thread as an example where every change opens up another reality. I personally would just prefer a linear timeline. I think it's the more satisfying narrative. So i hope it still somehow works with a linear timeline.

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

What I'm wondering is how is this effecting the child? Why is covered in rash? 

She got infected from her mom who came from the future, she as the same rash on her neck. It's like she brought some unknown disease from the future and infected her daughter unknowingly

51 minutes ago, Fabbo said:

No i haven't watched Avengers End Game. But i saw it mentioned here in the thread as an example where every change opens up another reality. I personally would just prefer a linear timeline. I think it's the more satisfying narrative. So i hope it still somehow works with a linear timeline.

It's more in line with "Rick and Morty" time travel concept, like they were n number of Rick and Morty at n number times, in one episode they replacement themselves with other Rick and Morty when they die in an accident, so that sorts of explains how that mom from the future still exists even when she killed past version of hers

“Alice” Remains No. 1 For 3rd Episode As “Lie After Lie” Joins Weekend Drama Ratings Battle

“Alice” Remains No. 1 For 3rd Episode As “Lie After Lie” Joins Weekend Drama Ratings Battle

Sep 5, 2020
by E. Cha

SBS’s “Alice” has successfully defended its place at the top of its time slot!

On September 4, the third episode of the new sci-fi action thriller starring Joo Won and Kim Hee Sun continued its winning streak at No. 1. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of “Alice” scored average nationwide ratings of 7.2 percent and 8.4 percent, making it the most-watched Friday-Saturday drama of the night.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1423703wpp/alice-remains-no-1-for-3rd-episode-as-lie-after-lie-joins-weekend-drama-ratings-battle

Alice: Episode 2

by selena

ALICE02-00204.jpg

The saying, “With great power comes great responsibility” comes to mind this hour as we learn more about our time travelers and what their plans are. With our hero being ever so logical, the information that he’s been gathering is going to force him to think bigger and realize that what may seem impossible at first could actually be the truth that he’s seeking.

EPISODE 2 RECAP

ALICE02-00005.jpgALICE02-00008.jpg

Science is like a sharp tool, for if you play with it like a child would, you might cut yourself.” – Sir Arthur Eddington

The world comes to a halt around Jin-gyum but he barely even notices, eyes fixated on Tae-yi. Despite his mother’s warning to avoid anyone who looks like her, Jin- gyum can’t help but call out, “Mom.” A single tear hits the ground, setting off an energy wave that brings everything back in motion.

The truck knocks Jin- gyum down but he maintains eye contact with Tae-yi until he passes out. He regains consciousness at the hospital with Do-yeon by his side. She lectures him for disregarding traffic laws despite being a lieutenant.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/alice-episode-2/

What a disaster that woman, the future Han Sun-Hee, has made. Not only she killed her past self but she made her daughter sick. She might die earlier, before her time.

But how she exists in the future if she killed herself in the past? I really don`t understand that. Or maybe she is from another universe. I want to read everyone thoughts to understand better.

Alice OST past 2

벤(Ben) - Whenever Wherever Whatever

Okay so after watching 3rd episode I was going to watch 4th episode and write my thoughts on it. But after reading some comments, I thought of doing it too. Firstly this episode was more of a bridge for me for the next episodes to come. By that I mean, we didn't get much info about the time travels and other things. It was mostly Jin Gyeom being with Tae Yi, trying to figure out if she really is his mother and also asking her to analyse the time card.

@larus Many above are talking about how the time travel is working, is timeline linear or not. Okay so I had been having doubts about it since last episode and had posted that the timelines could be like the Avengers Endgame one. So yes, we can almost surely confirm that altering the past will cause an alternate timeline to start, rather than affecting the actual future timeline. I had my doubts when that man had killed his bully elder brother, but now for me it is confirmed when the woman killed her past self to be with her child. So I really guess we can forget linear timeline theory for now. 

I really loved Choi Won Young's entry in the drama. This guy really is a great actor and performs complex roles really well. I for now have my doubts on him. He was shown to be with the prophecy book, in a strange room and he keeps it in the safe in his room. Now for those who saw the preview, it is being said by the detective who raised Jin Gyeom that he was the guy who was last seen with Tae Yi on the night of her death. We even see him running when we see Tae Yi dead in first episode. 

So there are two possibilities here. First the "Brute force one". It is very direct thinking. He is the guy who killed her and took the book away from her. But did he really do it? I mean the type of character we are seeing, he does not seem to be a normal person. But I don't really think so that's the case. At least not for now. 

So the second thing which could have happened is, Tae Yi saw the drone and ran. Meanwhile seeing her not return, Jin Gyeom leaves the house too. What are the chances that Tae Yi went to home to firstly make Jin Gyeom run and also to hide the book. Seeing Jin Gyeom not there, she decides to hide the book, meets Seok O Won "co-incidentally". Since she knows him from future, trusts him and hands him the book. Now there are puzzle pieces missing in both cases, hopefully we'll see some more revelations in next episode. 

I really liked how Jin Gyeom finally drank with his mom (in his eyes) and could be free from that guilt. I really like how Jin Gyeom is actually showing emotions, while being confused by it all. He cries everytime when he sees Tae Yi, he cries when he comes to know his father figure being stabbed. We do seem caring for everyone around him. And I really liked how skillfully Do Yeon ranted at him for not appreciating what she does for him and not caring for her, which she actually didn't really mean. I really love that girl. 

Also this was being shown from start, but there are definitely some mercenaries/group out there in future, who do anything in the past/present when paid well. I really do believe that Seok O Won is a shady character and could really have had a hand in Tae Yi and Jang Dong Shik's death, if he really wanted to have his hands on the book. But it is too early make guesses like that. Let's see what happens in today's episode.

@nrllee, really some good observations. I didn't notice the logo/symbol of Alice being the same in the book. Also other observations regarding the last page of the book. I really wanted to go back and see it, but you saved the for me :kiss_wink:. As for the Scientist's choice of weapon, some people really like vintage stuff I guess. But about the scene where time stops and Jin Gyeom sees Tae Yi, I think someone else pressed the card, because when Tae Yi first saw the time card, she seemed clueless about it. So let's see what happens. Looking forward to your nice observations for the coming episodes too :fullofhearts:

13 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

So there are two possibilities here. First the "Brute force one". It is very direct thinking. He is the guy who killed her and took the book away from her. But did he really do it? I mean the type of character we are seeing, he does not seem to be a normal person. But I don't really think so that's the case. At least not for now. 

So the second thing which could have happened is, Tae Yi saw the drone and ran. Meanwhile seeing her not return, Jin Gyeom leaves the house too. What are the chances that Tae Yi went to home to firstly make Jin Gyeom run and also to hide the book. Seeing Jin Gyeom not there, she decides to hide the book, meets Seok O Won "co-incidentally". Since she knows him from future, trusts him and hands him the book. Now there are puzzle pieces missing in both cases, hopefully we'll see some more revelations in next episode. 

It's not so convincing for me to believe that he was the guy who took the book on the night of Tae-Yi's murder. Like, we can see in the episode that he was reading the book  from the starting page , does it mean that he has  been repeatedly reading the the book for the past 10 years or did he just got the possession of the book? Like few days after Tae-Yi and Jin-Gyeom's reunion ? I do think he knows something about the behind murder of Tae-Yi, like a detective showed the sketch which resembles  Seok O Won

12 minutes ago, nrllee said:

@Sleepy Owl I picked the truck of doom :lol: sequence apart. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15YYV9aUzXke6QwqH2YHqkjRYTY_T4rdOp4fiS7Czg3I/

I was actually going to mention about the 2 Tae Yi theory after watching episode 3. But I am not totally convinced by it. I am having my doubts right now, but we'll have to see how things happen. The two scenes which you mentioned, Tae Yi not remembering Jin Gyeom even after seeing him in accident and also the scene where we see cold Tae Yi looking down somewhere (seemingly at Jin Gyeom) with the "Mother" who came for future looking at her. This could actually be a red herring or maybe not. Right now, I really think the writers want to confuse us.

Tae Yi not remembering Jin Gyeom could be because many people don't actually remember faces. She shown cold in park or wherever it was could be her thinking hard about those drones which she chased. I think we'll get answers regarding 2 Tae Yi theory in episode 4. 

But the detective does seem to know about Tae Yi. He must have either seen her or must be knowing something. His was a bit startled when he heard about Jin Gyeom investigating Tae Yi.

EDIT: Also I think the reason everyone stopped but Jin Gyeom didn't is, because he belongs to 2050. I believe if someone from future presses the time card the time stops for everyone except those from 2050 and the person itself. So chances are Jin Gyeom didn't go into statue mode because of him actually belonging to 2050.

@Sleepy Owl You and many posters here have some serious observation and analytical skills.  I'm just enjoying this drama like watermelon on a hot summer day.  A lot of the scenes remind me of Men in Black with the black suits and cool shades and also  The Matrix.  They do a lot of the slow motion scenes in The Matrix .  And I'll take eye candy anytime.

26 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

It's not so convincing for me to believe that he was the guy who took the book on the night of Tae-Yi's murder. Like, we can see in the episode that he was reading the book  from the starting page , does it mean that he has  been repeatedly reading the the book for the past 10 years or did he just got the possession of the book? Like few days after Tae-Yi and Jin-Gyeom's reunion ? I do think he knows something about the behind murder of Tae-Yi, like a detective showed the sketch which resembles  Seok O Won

As I said earlier, it is too early to make guesses about this guy. Just by looking at him in a couple of scenes I could say the he is a very complex guy. I am just stating the possibilities right now. We'll actually get to see him in today's episode. 

But him reading the book from start could just be a red herring. Maybe, just maybe what if he had been keeping an eye on Jin Gyeom. Maybe the starting point of prophecy was him being born in 1992 and not 2050, but the turning point of it is him meeting Tae Yi. So we got to see what kind of character he actually is. Maybe he once again started reading now that Tae Yi and Jin Gyeom met once again, but not as mother and child.

7 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@Sleepy Owl You and many posters here have some serious observation and analytical skills.  I'm just enjoying this drama like watermelon on a hot summer day.  A lot of the scenes remind me of Men in Black with the black suits and cool shades and also  The Matrix.  They do a lot of the slow motion scenes in The Matrix .  And I'll take eye candy anytime.

It is always fun to try to find answers for the mysteries the dramas have. But yes, this drama does really have some good actions scene for now. Let's hope they'll continue the good work with the story and action scenes. 

8 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

A lot of the scenes remind me of Men in Black with the black suits and cool shades and also  The Matrix

Especially when the agents from Alice appeared at the library to collect the time card from Jin-Gyeom, it did gave me vibe of MIB scene with their black suits and black shades

55 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But the detective does seem to know about Tae Yi. He must have either seen her or must be knowing something. His was a bit startled when he heard about Jin Gyeom investigating Tae Yi.

He was there at TY’s death?  He was seen running away in one direction and the other guy (the guy with the book now) was running in the other.  And a man with grey hair was standing at the door of the house.  This scene played out straight after JG found his mother’s body and she died in his arms

E9566870-0-E11-42-C3-B819-97-DEA31-EC5-D

72316930-29-D8-4356-A1-C7-3-B787-ED646-E

5722-BA08-1147-43-CD-83-AF-0-A25-FC4-A84

Camera pans out

Spoiler

EFB06637-4-E67-4166-B2-F0-674-FFF1-A01-E

7 minutes ago, nrllee said:

He was there at TY’s death?  He was seen running away in one direction and the other guy (the guy with the book now) was running in the other.  And a man with grey hair was standing at the door of the house.  This scene played out straight after JG found his mother’s body and she died in his arms

Yes i had observed that too. And the reason I think Tae Yi handed the book to Seok O Won is because of that. I think the blonde/gray haired guy has something to do with her death. Well both of the detective and Seok O Won looked to be startled. Now the scene of them running, does necessarily mean happened after her death, it could be well before her death and the blonde/gray haired guy standing in front of door to enter it or waiting there for his men to do the work. Maybe the moment those two guys turn back is the scene when they hear gunshots.

The detective could have actually witnessed what happened, or must have heard gun shots, but him running away still can not be justified with all we know. Or maybe Tae Yi asked him to go to Jin Gyeom as he is not safe, when she returned back and saw he was not there.  When I said he might be knowing about Prof Tae Yi, I meant he could have actually met her somewhere and realized how similar her appearance was with Sun Young.

As for Seok O Won, there can be many theories right now. He was Tae Yi's colleague, so there is a high chance she handed the book over to him or told him where the book is hidden. Him being there could be co-incidence, but I wouldn't buy that. Maybe if the co-incidence theory is supposed to be accepted, he saw her and mistook her with Tae Yi (Prof Tae Yi was 22 years old then and he could have mistook her with her). Anyway him running away also signifies he is scared of something. Maybe the drones, because he knows about them and could actually tell when he first saw them in 4th episode. Maybe he followed the drones, heard a gun shot and ran away.  But that does not take away the fact that he is indeed shady, at least for now.

What we cannot ignore is Alice's involvement in the murder. The drone was chasing Tae Yi. So they must have actually tracked her. Even if they didn't do it, they must either witnessed it or one of their clients must have done it. But I place my bet on Alice doing it.

Joo Won Revisits The Past As Kim Hee Sun Starts To Suspect Time Travel In “Alice”

9af0c6211c384fa28ba032faf0702429.jpeg?s=

Sep 5, 2020
by C. Hong

SBS’s “Alice” has shared new stills of Kim Hee Sun and Joo Won from the upcoming episode.

“Alice” is about Park Jin Gyeom (Joo Won), an emotionless detective searching for his mother’s killer who ends up investigating time traveling assassins who use a mysterious device called “Alice.” In the process, he meets Yoon Tae Yi (Kim Hee Sun), a genius physicist who looks exactly like his mother.

Spoilers

In episode three, Yoon Tae Yi began to investigate the card that Park Jin Gyeom had left her. At first, she thought it was an ordinary card, but as her analysis went deeper, she considered the possibility of “time travel.” Out of curiosity, she sought Park Jin Gyeom out to know more.

Meanwhile, Park Jin Gyeom was in despair after Go Hyung Suk (Kim Sang Ho) was attacked. The mother of Eun Soo, a child who had recently been kidnapped, was found dead. Go Hyung Suk went to Eun Soo’s house and discovered a woman there who looked exactly like Eun Soo’s dead mother. It turned out Eun Soo’s mother was a time traveler from the future. This woman stabbed Go Hyung Suk with a knife.

alice-joo-won-kim-hee-sun.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1423758wpp/joo-won-revisits-the-past-as-kim-hee-sun-starts-to-suspect-time-travel-in-alice

Episode 5 preview

In the preview they sort of showed that Tae-Yi from the university and Park Jin-Gyeom's mom two different persons, like in the preview we can clearly see that Jin-Gyeom went to 1992 and saw Tae-Yi in the university and called her mom from a phone booth, so can we say that Tae-Yi in 2020 is not his mom? I got confused when you guys said that Tae-Yi in 2020 was his mom, like they might share same personality and name, but it's like that she is his mom, since this might be her alternate life, like if she took another path altogether :open_mouth:

Archived