[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

To be honest, Oh Soo Ah is a perfect example how people should see difference between "self-love" and "being selfish". There is a reason why first have positive meaning, while second negative. Loving yourself and putting your needs first doesn't mean actively harming others. You see Jo Yi Seo is also very self-centered person too, but her strightforward attitude makes me actually like her, while Oh Soo Ah's ability to put face gives me (not good) shivers. It's like, yes, Jo Yi Seo crazy, but you expect her to be one. Oh Soo Ah has "nice girl" demeanor, but behind your back will go and destroy your belongings. And then make you feel guilty for being nice too her. I hope show is not trying to make me accept her attitude. She doesn't need anyone's pity, simply because she is a person who pities herself the most in this world. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, sodarn said:

Chingus, anybody read the webtoon and is willing to spoil it for me? Please! I need to know what happens to PSR-JYS couple :tears:

Spoiler

They end up together in the end.

There will be some dramatic kidnapping and sort things like that but the bad guys go to jail while PSR and JYS end up together.

By the end PSR is madly in love with JYS. 

Dont open if u dont want to be spoiled

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Samuel Yohanes said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They end up together in the end.

There will be some dramatic kidnapping and sort things like that but the bad guys go to jail while PSR and JYS end up together.

By the end PSR is madly in love with JYS. 

Dont open if u dont want to be spoiled

Thank youuuu! Is there like a site where I can read the last webtoon chapters for free?

Edited by sodarn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NaYouSabi? said:

someone made a comment about how SA went full dark in episode 6 and i was like [...]

Chingu, you should call out the person you were referring to, not leaving it out like this.. it draws out toxicity.

Okay, if you happen to be pointing me out.. first I'd like to apologize if I somehow sting you with what I wrote.

But I'd like to give my quick take with SA.

Spoiler

SA as a highly staff of the Janggs is truly amazing, from an orphan who find her way get into a college and be successful at the moment is something to be credit for. But let me ask something, if SRY's father didn't die.. would the life-changing opportunity knock on her? I doubt, she only has SRY father before the incident.. she has no friends, she's an orphan.. sure she can get into a scholarship she's a smart girl after all, but school is not the only factor, surviving alone is the focal point, what might happen is she's going to work her richard simmons off doing part-time jobs to earn money for college and to live.. that's a tough road ahead. Basically what I'm saying is, she took the shortcut by joining hands with the devil. What's the price? Injustice to SRY's father, Geunwoo get's off the hook and most of all SRY's "BITTER NIGHTS" . You don't do that to a friend, to a father like to you.. you just don't.

See, I know SA is coming from somewhere.. I don't belittle her misery or refuses to understand. DanBam vs Jangga battle is her second chance to redeem herself, to free herself yet she shows no slowing down. Why ask why does she need to leave everything for SRY, I have a different thing in mind with that.. Her everything, is an outcome from benefiting SRY's deepest wound, she owe it to him.

ezgif-com-resize.png

For me this is not just business preposition, it was shown at the end of EP2 where times had passed and she is living the life she have chosen. This particular scene tells a lot, this shows her perception through the years, or possible with her grief as an orphan or getting pitied at, her gaze and vibe shifted in a maleficent feels, it's dark as you can see. At one point I believed that through the years she's with Jangga she became one with it, her and chairman Jangg share the same idealism in someways.

She's miserable despite all the success she has right now. She's alone, guilty, a dog to the Janggs and frustrated with her romantic feelings with SRY. However she's now a well off lady who's competent at work, but is force to snitch a friend-lover due to her imprisonment from the deal she made with the devil a decade ago.

I don't view her as born evil, she is not.. it has nothing do with her baggage as well. She just gave in and lost her way, that was a choice she made..

an angel once said.. 

4141414141.png

Park Sae Ro-Yi is a perfect example...

I'm just frustrated how they change a significant piece on the webtoon, just to test this triangle more.. and make it more dramatic to the SRY - SA love line, it's unnecessary imo.

• Like 5

@serenilmauve

I'm one of those who REALLY likes JYS :w00t: despite what others say lol. To me, she is a very flawed yet unique character, specifically for a FL. She has attributes that would be written usually for male characters(ex: brash, impulsive, rationale). Characters with mental illness/disorder arent too prominent in k-dramas/mainstream and to have one as a main character, specifically a FL, is neat. JYS going to therapy and being candid about her disorder/illness is impactful and significant onscreen especially when society sees speaking/reaching out as a stigma or weak. I'm curious about the intro scene of episode 1 when JYS is at her therapy session when she thinks back to a conversation with SRY when he tells her "just die". I also like that she isnt define by her mental illness/disorder, its just something that she has. Besides her mental disorder(being almost borderline sociopath), her cynicalcism about life also reads a form of depression to me? Depression can affect anyone whether they lived a good/bad upbringing. 

Also, I dont see JYS as selfish because she IS grateful to her mother for giving her all those opportunity growing up but thats on her mom, not JYS. She's the mom, ofcourse it's the duty of the parent(s) to provide for their child no matter the circumstances. JYS is a legal adult who can make decisions for herself now even if it's not what her mother intended. I'm more suprised that the mom kicked her out so easily when she's single & JYS is her only daughter. I believe JYS can achieve both love & success because she is confident/compotent. Her mom might eat her own words when JYS succeeds alongside with SRY/ Danbam.

@ehy

I'm not going to compare the webtoon to the drama since I have not read it, only knowing a bit from the previous posts on this thread, but in my opinion the scenes in terms of interactions and conversation between SRY & SA has no weight at the time skip. The show can rid some, if not most, scenes of them together at the 7/8 year timeskip /present & it wouldnt affect/impact the overall plot. To me JYS is one of the key player to the overall plot/progression & moves the story in IC. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, ehy said:

Chingu, you should call out the person you were referring to, not leaving it out like this.. it draws out toxicity.

Okay, if you happen to be pointing me out.. first I'd like to apologize if I somehow sting you with what I wrote.

But I'd like to give my quick take with SA.

Reveal hidden contents

SA as a highly staff of the Janggs is truly amazing, from an orphan who find her way get into a college and be successful at the moment is something to be credit for. But let me ask something, if SRY's father didn't die.. would the life-changing opportunity knock on her? I doubt, she only has SRY father before the incident.. she has no friends, she's an orphan.. sure she can get into a scholarship she's a smart girl after all, but school is not the only factor, surviving alone is the focal point, what might happen is she's going to work her richard simmons off doing part-time jobs to earn money for college and to live.. that's a tough road ahead. Basically what I'm saying is, she took the shortcut by joining hands with the devil. What's the price? Injustice to SRY's father, Geunwoo get's off the hook and most of all SRY's "BITTER NIGHTS" . You don't do that to a friend, to a father like to you.. you just don't.

See, I know SA is coming from somewhere.. I don't belittle her misery or refuses to understand. DanBam vs Jangga battle is her second chance to redeem herself, to free herself yet she shows no slowing down. Why ask why does she need to leave everything for SRY, I have a different thing in mind with that.. Her everything, is an outcome from benefiting SRY's deepest wound, she owe it to him.

For me this is not just business preposition, it was shown at the end of EP2 where times had passed and she is living the life she have chosen. This particular scene tells a lot, this shows her perception through the years, or possible with her grief as an orphan or getting pitied at, her gaze and vibe shifted in a maleficent feels, it's dark as you can see. At one point I believed that through the years she's with Jangga she became one with it, her and chairman Jangg share the same idealism in someways.

She's miserable despite all the success she has right now. She's alone, guilty, a dog to the Janggs and frustrated with her romantic feelings with SRY. However she's now a well off lady who's competent at work, but is force to snitch a friend-lover due to her imprisonment from the deal she made with the devil a decade ago.

I don't view her as born evil, she is not.. it has nothing do with her baggage as well. She just gave in and lost her way, that was a choice she made..

an angel once said..

Park Sae Ro-Yi is a perfect example...

I'm just frustrated how they change a significant piece on the webtoon, just to test this triangle more.. and make it more dramatic to the SRY - SA love line, it's unnecessary imo.

Your take is valid, but do realise we are talking about Korea. To understand SA's mindset you have to understand how the economy/ society of Korea works:

- Korea has a high youth unemployment rate. Even students of Seoul National University are unemployed (there are plenty of news articles written on it)

- There is also no room for innovation, as all the chaebols have their smaller peers in a stranglehold - startups in Korea are almost non-existent. So in real life DanBam would have been crushed by Jangga, so it would be career suicide to side with PSRY

- Korean business life is quite misogynistic and very network-based (sunbae-hoobae). A female orphan with no support would absolutely not get into Jangga in the first place

- Koreans in general are super-risk averse due to the 1997 Asian financial crisis, where many experienced personal bankruptcy. This is also the reason why being a civil servant is everyone's dream career as it offers job security (low risk of getting fired). The flipside is that every year 440,000 people take the civil exam (with many preparing for 10 hours a day for multiple years). With this amount of competition for even the most boring and crappiest (for a lack of a better word) jobs, you must have the altruism of Gandhi to refuse a lucrative job at Jangga

In conclusion, if she did not accept the offer of Jangga, she would most likely be preparing for the civil services exam and working multiple part-time jobs - with the high probability that all her efforts would be in vain. JYS can afford more risk in her life, because she is quite rich due to her popularity as a social media star. She can accept random gigs such as DanBam and refuse to go the university. University would be like finishing school to her anyways, instead of a stepping stone. But for people at the lowest ranks of society such as SA, the decision is not that black or white. If you would ask on the streets of Seoul how many people would do the same as SA, you would end up with 90% (if not higher) - even SKY students.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

On 2/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, corey said:

Also - I still do not like SA - neither do I like YSA - I feel stone cold about the romance here and usually I dig all forms of romance in dramas. What I find interesting here is the idea of a powerless man - an underdog - going against the system and succeeding thanks to his intelligence and principles- it slightly reminds me of one of my favourite characters played by PSj - So Woo in Hwarang - the same uprightness, stubborness and courage. This is what appeals to me - I really root for SR and wish him so well - if he gets any girl in the process - fine by me, either is ok. I am happy that the female characters are both strong, intelligent and fierce - but romance-wise this is not my cup of tea.

@corey I do not have the warm fuzzies about the romance, but for me, I feel at this point of the story, what we see is too late and too early. Too late because any chance of it between SR and SA is far long gone. For them, I am more curious if by the end, can/will they be friends or at least be on friendly terms. I am not familiar with the webtoon and probably prefer it this way. Most adaptations I've seen oftentimes differ from the source anyway. I assume that something will develop between SR and YS, but at this point, it is too early to call it romance. If it does, I like it that it is slowly pacing itself rather it be something instantaneous or at first sight. Also, it's nice to see someone truly by SR's side and supporting him.

Similar to you though, I am most interested in SR's story and am wholeheartedly rooting for him as well. I admire his upright character. His father taught him well and I bet is darn proud of him. It is so easy to take the short cut in life, but SR firmly sticks to his beliefs and will not waver no matter what. He would rather work from the bottom up, even if it took years, to achieve his goal. There's so much to respect and learn from this guy - as his coworkers, even as a viewer. Perhaps the biggest quality that I love about him is how he remembers and keeps his father alive. When YS was curious about what will make SR sleep better at night, the scene cuts to him in Danbam pouring a glass of soju to an empty seat across from him (his father) and looking at Jangga's stock chart. That moment really touched my heart. Whatever his plan is - revenge or justice, to prove that the weak will not be ultimately preyed by the strong - I believe it will be amazing to see as it all unravels. His karma has already proven true with episode 6 showing HJ successfully assisting him with his investments. I'm sure SR did not expect anything to come from his deeds, but it's nice to see it happen to pan out that way.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@Broaddaylight If I remember correctly, Ms Kang's father along with Chairman Jang built the company so theoretically she is a major co-owner unless Jang bought out his partner's shares. She sits on the board with voting rights, eyeing Jan'g next move now that he is older. The problem with Jang is that with no suitable successor atm and when his health deteriorates,  I guess the board can push to buy back his shares too.  That's far stretched but a possibility in theory.  Jang knows it and he is frustrated with both of his sons' current states.  As for PSR and the activist hedge fund, I agree, PSR can be the needed swing vote for Ms Kang to be chairperson.  That said, I feel we shouldn't underestimate PSR's ambition to grow his own business empire.  He may use his $1.9 B won in another (more creative) way.  Like many here, I love PSR character so hoping he will use his hedge fund money to advance social causes close to his heart and to help others.  

• Insightful 1

@greenwatch08 Of course JYS is the star LOL. Chinguu, don't get me started to go fan-girl mode over again :rolleyes: JYS is what got me hyped up on IC aside from PSJ. The webtoon is the original work from the author which is why I can't just take my mind out of it, but we do share the same sentiment in regards of SA, but I won't discredit her as a key character for she basically started it all, without her no one would have known that JGW was the one who hits PSRY's father, without her.. Itaewon won't be introduced to PSRY and she also did ignite revenge on him. But yeah after the time-skip, it's just as you said.

@Broaddaylight No worries, I may not know  South Korea's exact economical-social status.. but I too was born in a country that is almost the same or maybe lesser than South Korea, lower rank as well. I won't compare mine with SA since everyone has their own cross to carry.. Numbers are facts, it doesn't lie but it's not everything, life is constantly unpredictable. Yes, Jangga's offer as I said it's a life-changing opportunity.. 90% could be tempted and grab on it, but I am on the 10% that treasures people/relation more. The world rotates without certainty, SA passing on Jangga doesn't mean she won't have another chance ever. She gained a friend, PSRY, it can start with that.. there's a reason why Adam was given an Eve. Just to make it clear, I'm not expecting anything on SA in regards of PSRY's danbam to succeed, or anything at all. Leave or not, it won't matter. 

P.S. -- I'd be mindful of that. :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, corey said:

Regarding the webtoon ending - I would not rely too much on it. As per the comments above, in the webtoon it was SA who ratted PSR to the police - it is not so in the drama. The writer is fee to change the plot. Personally, I do not quite feel that the ending would be like in the webtoon - quite the opposite, is my feeling. Or else, the writer may change the ending in the process based on the fan reaction.

Spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically, if a lot of people like SA and express their preferences loud enough, the writer may change the end game for PSR despite initial assumptions - in this case webtoon. This is backed up by our recent experience with the ongoing drama Beautiful lowe wonderful life, where based on the poster we can see the end game for one of the female characters - but because everyone seems to like the other guy, towards the end of the drama the lead male seems to be sidelined and the focus in now on the second lead. We will see in five weeks how both stories would end!

That's not gonna happen. Writer can make OSA role a bit bigger, compared to original, but he will not change the ending. People who read original, people who loves and support JYS/PSR and people who watch drama for JYS far bigger in number, than OSA supporters. Ending is 100% safe :D

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@Broaddaylight If I remember correctly, Ms Kang's father along with Chairman Jang built the company so theoretically she is a major co-owner unless Jang bought out his partner's shares. She sits on the board with voting rights, eyeing Jan'g next move now that he is older. The problem with Jang is that with no suitable successor atm and when his health deteriorates,  I guess the board can push to buy back his shares too.  That's far stretched but a possibility in theory.  Jang knows it and he is frustrated with both of his sons' current states.  As for PSR and the activist hedge fund, I agree, PSR can be the needed swing vote for Ms Kang to be chairperson.  That said, I feel we shouldn't underestimate PSR's ambition to grow his own business empire.  He may use his $1.9 B won in another (more creative) way.  Like many here, I love PSR character so hoping he will use his hedge fund money to advance social causes close to his heart and to help others.  

Time to turn financial geek mode on. According to episode 5:

-  The chairman has a stake of 30.258% (it is written on the paper he receives from his assistant) or KRW 60,516,000,000

- Ms Kang has a stake of 7.9128% or KRW 15,825,600,000. According to the assistant, she will receive the support of 25% of the shareholders

Since we have this information, we also know what the % of PSRY is worth. Apparently, he has KRW 1,900,000,000 in shares. This is equal to 0.95% (check the math yourself!). So this means that the battle between chairman and Ms Kang will be 30.258% (assuming he does not have other support) vs 25.95%. So there is at most 43.792% of undecided votes. But the battle is quite close. Also Ms Kang - with the use of the unnamed hedge fund manager (most likely PSRY's friend) - accumulated 1.2% extra in a very short time. Buying an extra 5% should be doable for Ms Kang to make her share larger than the chairman's.

I am not sure that the board can or will push to buy back his shares. Good corporate governance is not on top of the agenda of Asian companies, hence we see the most irrational financial decisions in the area (I can give you multiple examples if you want haha)

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

@ehy

Yes, JYS is character I like alot :w00t: lol. She's probably the first character I like that is VERY flawed/not perfect at all lol but that's what makes her appealing to me. Plus, she still young so I want to see how she develop/grow alongside SRY & Danbam crew. 

I wont discredit SA & what she she meant to SA in the past but after the present/7 year time skip into the present, I dont see much depth/weight in SRY & SA's conversation/interaction. 

@serenilmauve

SRY & JYS have been pretty consistent in trending high in social media as well as PSJ & KDM everytime the episodes air. Those two are, if not, the most talked about characters/actors in the drama. I'm not sure about the webtoon, but for the drama SRY & JYS as individual characters seem like total fan favorites. Although I'm not sure how audiences/viewers in SKorea think of SRY & JYS being a pair though.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

That's not gonna happen. Writer can make OSA role a bit bigger, compared to original, but he will not change the ending. People who read original, people who loves and support JYS/PSR and people who watch drama for JYS far bigger in number, than OSA supporters. Ending is 100% safe :D

I also think the end game will not change. The writer is adding and removing some stuff but it is to adapt to the drama segment and add some suspens for those who have read the webtoon. I am confident and actually looking forward the love line between PSRY and JYS since he may add deepness in their relationship

12 hours ago, sodarn said:

Chingus, anybody read the webtoon and is willing to spoil it for me? Please! I need to know what happens to PSR-JYS couple :tears:

I can spoil you if you want in message 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5