[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

@choilicious

That's why I like this drama so much and it feels different than the usual kdrama. The cast of characters are flawed/misfits/people who would be deemed not the norm of society who are all trying to establish themselves. Im not Korean nor do live in SKorea but living in an asian household or exposed to alot of upbringing even from an asian american perspective, going to good college in order to have a fine career job is emphasized & expected ALOT. Reading about statistics & details about the rigorous the school curriculum/education system is in SKorea is rough. It is understandable that going to reknown university will place/give you a prosperous life & name/face. But I think that's the sad part is how alot of education institution in Asia, even in western countries, are set up this way to make it so hard for many to attend school if they don't have the right education or money which can make/cause people to become depress & anxious/heavily in debt. But yes, education seen from a western perspective is much different than in Asia, specifically SKorea.

That's the one thing that is peculiar and interesting about JYS's character. Although she is smart & multitalented, she decided to succeed/live her life in a non-traditional route that is NOT REALLY expected of young people in SKorea. Brushing off the prospect of attending a top university & decided to work at a small pub like Danbam, people would say she's bonkers

lol. Also, being a social-media blogger/influencer isnt seen as a sustainable/viable job finacially either or even considered as an actual "job" at all. Not everyone can make it big in the mainstream of things, there is a hustle to it. Also, most parents would want their kids to be lawyers, doctor, professors, etc. But I think that's a point that the writer is trying to make that university/fine career doesnt neccesarily/shouldn't define your existence or is the base of your worth in society & there are other routes to success?

Another note, JYS also has mental illness and disorder, something that is seen as a stigma in most society if not all. Reaching out/seeking help would be seen as weak/not the norm. Speaking from a personal perspective, being candid/discussing mental health in an asian household is not usual thing to do. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

38 minutes ago, emollienime said:

thank you a lot for sharing all that inside view^_^so i wonder, koreans view what oh sooah is doing and did in the past in positive or negative light overall?do they think she was right for taking care of herself by “getting along” with jangga or wrong for not refusing and building her life other ways?

I would say, her actions would be much more sympathetic to Koreans, than say, US folks. Not that Koreans would view her actions as positive, but I think most would understand her motivations. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 6

5 minutes ago, choilicious said:

I would say, her actions would be much more sympathetic to Koreans, than say, US folks. Not that Koreans would view her actions as positive, but I think most would understand her motivations. 

so for them she is also gray character^_^

btw,your definition about park saeroy being more someone,who is not getting along with authority,when he disagrees and sees actions wrong,makes more sense,rather than when people call him something like”justice fighter”or”self-righteous”.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

My 2 cents and the reason why I ship PSRY x Yi Seo 

Spoiler
Sae royi: the moral compass of the drama :))) I can see why he is attracted to itaewon the first time he visits. He's liberal, free, no judgment (he hire transgender, a 20yo for manager, a foreigner etc.), believe in hard work and everyone deserve a fair chance at life. I think itaewon itself has this sort of image as well: liberal, wild and free.
He makes you want to root for him and hoping that he remains unstained. His character yells "persistency" as in he is the one who most likely will like soo ah forever - even if she may not return his feelings. He is considerate and care about other people more than himself. I enjoy his stubborn and heroic act of standing up for others who consider weaker or being bullied because it's refreshing to see. But no one stands up for him except his dad - this is why I don't ship him and Soo Ah. They had history, she was there when he suffered the most loss of his life, but she never stands up for him. She loves herself and she will always love herself. The appearance of Yi Seo (kim Da mi) who wants to make Sae royi an extraordinary person is refreshing because Saeyori needs someone exactly like Yi Seo. Because he needs someone who will stand up for him and acts out for his benefits since he's the least likely to do that himself.

Yi seo character is not perfect as well. She's quite a troubled kid, her mom is very odd and instead of scolding her to push someone to win, she encourages her to go ahead and win and rank first. She needs someone like seo yori to act as a moral compass to help with her character development. Let's say she is lucky to have met PSYR because this could be the turning point for her character. 

I also like how Yi Seo tell Saeyori the truth that Soo Ah lied about calling police, because it's like she wants to have fair play in fighting for Saeyori affection. she doesn't want to do the handicapped thing. This is contrast with how she was once push someone down to win the race. 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

@Anjalifairy realistically, who would even forgive Oh Soo Ah and be understanding of her in Park Sae Roy's position... I feel like almost everyone would've been mad if someone tried to pull something like that on them...
But, I do enjoy the complexity and duality of all characters in the drama. I went to read some blogs and listen to some podcast and it seems like some try to put characters in a small shoebox of emotions, where a character can be only either nice or bad and their motivations can be only about wanting to be that "nice" or "bad" person and nothing more. When even PSY and JDH have more complex motivations, than just being pure good or pure evil. While we as people realistically have a ton of different emotions and motivations, that sometimes even contradict each other, and because we do one thing right, it doesn't mean we wouldn't do wrong in other situations.

that’s my problem too.people ask for complex characters,but when they come along their way they refuse to understand them beyond some simple characteristics.is it really that hard to believe,that park saeroy can be understanding and forgiving for people,who show same to him and brutal and violent,when people refuse to listen his voice of reason and act out of line with him.he can be wholesome guy,but also sometimes a bit reckless and quick to act.that’s not something that can’t co-exist in one parson.same with oh sooah.she can be nice and show her gratitude to park saeroy’s dad,but it doesn’t mean,that she is not capable of putting herself first and take all possible opportunities to get a better life.they didn’t need to show her being richard simmons or cunning behind park saeroy’s dad,to believe in her decisions.because they make sense.and jo yiseo doesn’t need to be always nice or act right,just because she is leading heroine.she can make mistakes,learn from them or not,she can be cunning when she thinks it’s needed and nice,when she wants it.and that’s basically about all other characters.being 3d character means having good and bad in you.make predictable or unpredictable decisions.sometimes be wrong and sometimes be right.viewers should be able to question and analyze characters decisions(and come to conclusion based on their own perspective).

• Like 5

@kaqueski

There are oppositions to the SRY&JYS pairing which is fine/understandable, mostly because of the age difference or the dislike for JYS lol. Aside the romantic aspect, SRY & JYS relationship is unique? To me, they balance eachother. Yes, JYS is young and has her impulsive/brash behavior but SRY's sturdiness & compassion helps JYS learn about teamwork/

guidance. She's found a sense of purpose working with SRY at Danbam. As for SRY, JYS really helps him alot in the business/workspace. He always seem to look forward/trusts her opinions & doesnt undermine

her expertise because she is younger. That bridge scene/conversation between SRY & JYS pretty much solidified their future partnership. It's basically foreshadowing/hinting? Plus, the foundation of support between SRY & JYS is definitely there/setup, whether it be physical/emotional or platonic

/romantic.

@emollienime

I think IC is one of those rare shows whose main cast of characters are super flawed & not perfect.

To me, this serves a purpose in the narrative. Maybe viewers arent used to a main cast that have flaws & behavior/personality on a show like IC. But flaw characters are much more interesting & engaging because as viewers, we get to see their progress

/change through their growth /experiences. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

@Anjalifairy realistically, who would even forgive Oh Soo Ah and be understanding of her in Park Sae Roy's position... I feel like almost everyone would've been mad if someone tried to pull something like that on them...
But, I do enjoy the complexity and duality of all characters in the drama. I went to read some blogs and listen to some podcast and it seems like some try to put characters in a small shoebox of emotions, where a character can be only either nice or bad and their motivations can be only about wanting to be that "nice" or "bad" person and nothing more. When even PSY and JDH have more complex motivations, than just being pure good or pure evil. While we as people realistically have a ton of different emotions and motivations, that sometimes even contradict each other, and because we do one thing right, it doesn't mean we wouldn't do wrong in other situations.

Food for thought: could it be the reason that we all like JYS so much, because KDM is absolutely killing it in the acting department? I liked JYS from the get go, but started to dislike her a bit after analyzing her behavior. Many defended her by saying that she has a mental illness. Which is true and we should not talk lightly about, but it does not mean we have to turn a blind eye regarding some loathable parts of her behavior. For example, she was adamant about kicking Hyun Yi out merely because of her gender identity. We can contribute this behavior to her being a sociopath or her accomplished business mindset (i.e. anticipation of non-acceptability of transgenders by Korean society), but in other situations we have seen that she has a very well developed social cognition and empathy. She can relate very easily with what Korean society deems as social paria such as convicts and people of colour. What I am trying to say is, is that we all justify JYS' bad traits by attributing it to her mental illness, whilst we are overly harsh with OSA's situation. I think that OSA processes the value of human relationships differently than we do. I can imagine that if you get disowned by your own mother and years of social prejudice makes you more transactional with regards to people, which in itself also deserves some sympathy (as she is a victim of a hard society). It is also easier to hate on her because she is so successful and therefore does not seem to have made any real sacrifices. OSA's situation is an ethical dillemma that simply does not have a good answer.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

On 2/18/2020 at 12:30 AM, bedifferent said:

@Broaddaylight If I remember correctly, Ms Kang's father along with Chairman Jang built the company so theoretically she is a major co-owner unless Jang bought out his partner's shares. She sits on the board with voting rights, eyeing Jan'g next move now that he is older. The problem with Jang is that with no suitable successor atm and when his health deteriorates,  I guess the board can push to buy back his shares too.  That's far stretched but a possibility in theory.  Jang knows it and he is frustrated with both of his sons' current states.  As for PSR and the activist hedge fund, I agree, PSR can be the needed swing vote for Ms Kang to be chairperson.  That said, I feel we shouldn't underestimate PSR's ambition to grow his own business empire.  He may use his $1.9 B won in another (more creative) way.  Like many here, I love PSR character so hoping he will use his hedge fund money to advance social causes close to his heart and to help others.  

@bedifferent I am really looking forward to the next episode because I think it will shed a little more light on SR's plan and what card he has up his sleeve. Like, what is the trump card that he is presenting to Ms. Kang that would make his proposition enticing enough for her to actively pursue the chairman position? I mean, she knows Jang is suspicious of her intentions and is constantly monitoring her stake/supporters so whatever SR has to offer her has to be well worth it to her. I'd like to believe that his stake of $1.9B won is enough to tip the vote in her favor, but I am not so sure. In the preview, it seems like SR is with JH evaluating stocks and can be heard saying that he could see Jang's back. I do feel the same as @Broaddaylight that Kang's mysterious fund manager is likely JH so maybe he is the key/brain which will help Kang shake up Jang's holding/position at Jangga. If it's really about SR tipping the vote to oust Jang, let's hope his efforts do not end up like YM in Lies!

You bring up a good point about his ambition to grow his business empire/Danbam. I prefer Danbam to succeed naturally and separate from the gains in Jangga so I agree it would definitely be nice if he ultimately uses that money for other great causes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Broaddaylight said:

Food for thought: could it be the reason that we all like JYS so much, because KDM is absolutely killing it in the acting department? I liked JYS from the get go, but started to dislike her a bit after analyzing her behavior. Many defended her by saying that she has a mental illness. Which is true and we should not talk lightly about, but it does not mean we have to turn a blind eye regarding some loathable parts of her behavior. For example, she was adamant about kicking Hyun Yi out merely because of her gender identity. We can contribute this behavior to her being a sociopath or her accomplished business mindset (i.e. anticipation of non-acceptability of transgenders by Korean society), but in other situations we have seen that she has a very well developed social cognition and empathy. She can relate very easily with what Korean society deems as social paria such as convicts and people of colour. What I am trying to say is, is that we all justify JYS' bad traits by attributing it to her mental illness, whilst we are overly harsh with OSA's situation. I think that OSA processes the value of human relationships differently than we do. I can imagine that if you get disowned by your own mother and years of social prejudice makes you more transactional with regards to people, which in itself also deserves some sympathy (as she is a victim of a hard society). It is also easier to hate on her because she is so successful and therefore does not seem to have made any real sacrifices. OSA's situation is an ethical dillemma that simply does not have a good answer.

She didn't though. She intended to do so because she was a bad cook + her gender identity could be a problem for them in the future. It's not the US or Europe, guys. It's in South Korea. And Jo Yi Seo's priority is DanBam and Park Sae Roy. If her problem with Ma Hyun YI was only and just her transgender status, she would never accept who she is even after Hyun Yi gave her perfect plate. And with PSR's guidance, she learned that DanBam is not only "Park Sae Roy", but also all staff members and as their manager, she should first learn how to properly guide people, instead of just firing them, which is the easiest thing to do. 
I also liked Jo Yi Seo in webtoon too. So Kim Da Mi is killing with her acting and bad actress could definitely ruin the character, but because she wouldn't be able to show all deeps, that character has.  
And her mental health condition does not totally excuse some of her behavior but makes it pretty understandable. She views society, people and norms differently than most of us due to her condition. But, I wouldn't go as far as to talk about where we should draw a line for people with mental health problems. I'm no psychotherapist, I don't think I'm qualified to talk about it without some knowledge. 
As I said before, there is a vast difference between understanding and sympathizing with character. I understand all of them, were they coming from and why they're doing, what they're doing, but no one will be able to push at me to sympathize with them if I don't like what they're doing or I simply disagree with them. 
So, I totally understand Oh Soo Ah, but I just don't feel sorry for her. I don't agree with her, I don't view her actions as positive and etc. So my sympathy to her at the bare minimum. For example, Park Sae Roy is character in the drama I sympathize the most; I can totally understand why Park Sae Roy is eager to keep his first love alive, but I can't sympathize with him in this regard and I think he should get rid off this toxic relationship as fast as he could, but I also know why he would never do that. 
So, us trying to understand and analyze characters' behavior based on characteristics, past, present and people around them doesn't equal us giving them sympathetic slack off. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

“Itaewon Class” Cast Members Are Both Fun And Serious On Set

“Itaewon Class” Cast Members Are Both Fun And Serious On Set

On February 20, JTBC’s “Itaewon Class” released new behind-the-scenes photos!

The series has already surpassed 10 percent in viewership ratings and continues to set new personal bests. At the center of the drama are actors who add power to the plot as they portray their unique characters.

Behind-the-scenes, Park Seo Joon monitored his acting with full concentration while Kim Da Mi focused on her script. Yoo Jae Myung and Kwon Naraprepared for filming with seriousness.

The actors have been constantly exchanging opinions with director Kim Sung Yoon while shooting. Both Kim Dong Hee and Ahn Bo Hyun, who portray the Jang brothers with opposite personalities, discussed their lines with the director to enhance their acting.

Ryu Kyung Soo and Lee Joo Young, who are loved for their unique chemistry, were spotted smiling brightly on set as well as monitoring their acting together.

itaewon-class-1.jpg

The production crew commented, “The presence of the actors, who are showing more passionate acting and synergy as we enter the midpoint of the drama, is amazing. With the foreshadowing of a full-fledged showdown between Dan Bam and Jang Ga, please keep an eye out on these actors as they will fill out the story even more.”

“Itaewon Class” airs every Friday and Saturday at 10:50 p.m. KST.

credit: soompi

• Like 5

9 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

She didn't though. She intended to do so because she was a bad cook + her gender identity could be a problem for them in the future. It's not the US or Europe, guys. It's in South Korea. And Jo Yi Seo's priority is DanBam and Park Sae Roy. If her problem with Ma Hyun YI was only and just her transgender status, she would never accept who she is even after Hyun Yi gave her perfect plate. And with PSR's guidance, she learned that DanBam is not only "Park Sae Roy", but also all staff members and as their manager, she should first learn how to properly guide people, instead of just firing them, which is the easiest thing to do. 

I agree that YS did not have a personal issue with HY’s transgender status, but she still highlighted it as a problem for the business. I don’t dislike her for saying that (maybe a bit disappointed) because her concerns do mirror the ignorance of society, but it is still workplace discrimination in my view. I thought her character was supposed to represent defying social norms so in this scenario, I was surprised and perplexed that she would place how society would negatively view Danbam because of HY above what would be her own personal beliefs. Regarding how she “redeemed” herself, it really was to the credit of SR. He pretty much gave her and the rest of the team no choice but to accept HY and basically each other if they wanted to be a part of Danbam. In the end, I do not hold this situation against YS as long as she genuinely learned something from it rather than just go with what SR said just to appease his decision. If YS did not properly learn how to guide as manager and HY did not improve her skills as cook, I would be left questioning SR’s stance and both YS and HY’s purpose at Danbam. I think the story does exercise great efforts in showing us how to try coexist with one another. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

@Broaddaylight

A JYS fan HERE :w00t: lol! Yes, KDM is killing it as JYS. I like JYS from the get go & still much very do.

I don't excuse her behavior/attitude towards people at all but I highlight her mental illness/disorder since some may disregard it & shoebox her as simply crazy/psycho. She's isnt devoid of criticism &

has been wrong in alot situation(ex: pushing the other schoolgirl as a kid, underage drinking/clubbing

illegally/kissing an unconscious SRY/micro-agression towards MHY/physical harrassment on SA). Id say she is moreso/much more flawed than SA. But the thing is she is learning slowly but surely through SRY's guidance & along with Danbam crew since she has alot of unlearning to do from her current mindset. JYS is like the deconstruction of the (modern)hero-archetype trope, which makes her interesting/fun to watch onscreen & so far I've enjoyed her development. It's alright to dislike/hate JYS just as it's fine for people to be critical/harsh about SA & vice versa. 

Aside from the critiques about SA's situation in previous posts, to be frank, I find her a tad unengaging(in general) & stagnant as a character. I have the same sentiments about JGW too because you'd think after 10 years, he'd learn a thing or two working with his dad but he's just a dimwit who has has his father's connections. So when/if JGS becomes aligned with J Co., he'll be the one to shift the dynamic alongside his father against SRY & Danbam. I'm curious to find out more about LHJ & Tony Kim & SRY's sudden approval for Kang. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1