[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

I agree that YS did not have a personal issue with HY’s transgender status, but she still highlighted it as a problem for the business. I don’t dislike her for saying that (maybe a bit disappointed) because her concerns do mirror the ignorance of society, but it is still workplace discrimination in my view. I thought her character was supposed to represent defying social norms so in this scenario, I was surprised and perplexed that she would place how society would negatively view Danbam because of HY above what would be her own personal beliefs. Regarding how she “redeemed” herself, it really was to the credit of SR. He pretty much gave her and the rest of the team no choice but to accept HY and basically each other if they wanted to be a part of Danbam. In the end, I do not hold this situation against YS as long as she genuinely learned something from it rather than just go with what SR said just to appease his decision. If YS did not properly learn how to guide as manager and HY did not improve her skills as cook, I would be left questioning SR’s stance and both YS and HY’s purpose at Danbam. I think the story does exercise great efforts in showing us how to try coexist with one another. 

I'm pretty sure she didn't "go along" just to please PSR. JYS is not a yes woman. JYS is competitive. Because of her sociopath tendencies, she is willing to cut off people just so that she can have an advantage and win (Remember the childhood scene when she was in a race and pushed the leading opponent aside so she could win?) So if she thinks MHY will bring a social disadvantage to DanBam, she will be willing to fire her. I don't think she necessarily sees herself as someone who defies society; I think her focus is how to make her crush PSR successful, and at all costs. Again, I am not excusing her behavior, just explaining that it may not have as many layers as you might think it does. And most importantly, her being against MHY says less about her view on transgenderism but speaks more on her too competitive and less empathetic personality. PSR gave her the opportunity to learn what it means to be a team, not what it means to be transgender-friendly. My two cents...:D

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

2nd presscon? :o

Guys, please enlighten me about this; so right now Saeroy has 1.9 bil won stake (1% of Jangga total stock amount), does it mean he is automatically part of Board of Directors? Or does he have to have a certain number of stock to be part of it? I've read the webtoon a few times but still don't get this part. It's either bcs i don't have basic knowledge about this corporate governance stuff or bcs of my limited korean skill :lol: Could someone kindly explain the mechanism to me?

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

sondia had double great ost in extraordinary you. 

now she got two in itaewon as well. 

way to go for her!

to be the board of directors, you need to had some share of the total amount.

when Jangga goes public, the stock is on public so everyone can buy it.

1% is very huge from a very big company.

if u had 1% stock from apple for example you are very damn rich. 

all people who had the stock got the share of revenue gained from the company. 

so if the company doing well, PSR will got his share of revenue because of the stock he got. 

there are some treshold to be a board member ( idk how much is the treshold here but i guess PSR can be included because thats a lot of money ) the board member had a voice to vote for the next CEO/President of the company. 

the easiest example is YG. you look at YG the EX CEO is Yang hyun suk. 

he got the highest share of the stock from YG. people thought he was the owner but he isnt. he is just the majority stock holder that had the most weighted voice for making decision. and because he is the CEO then the rest of stockholder trust him to make the decision and to bring the company to become better. thats why if u are an incompentent CEO you will got dumped because the investor or stock holder will not accept not getting their invested money back. but now he resign from CEO because of the scandal but he still the highest stock holder so the revenue from the company, he will still got the highest share of profit. the new CEO is chosen by the BOARD to run the company. 

for this case, ( i dont read the webtoon in the middle part so idk what happened but i just guess ) why PSR goes all in on Jangga stock maybe because currently there are power battle between JDH and his secretary. and because her stock is rising in ammount, it become a threat for JDH. because if she can attract more stock holder to support her, JDH can be kicked out from CEO position and she will replace him. ( but he still the highest shareholder ). thats why PSR goes all in so he can vote for the secretary and create a rift between JDH and his secretary. 

tbh i learn this from tons of watching makjang drama. maybe there will be some inaccuracies but i hope it help you 

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@Samuel Yohanes

Wow thanks for the insight man! Really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Oh i see.. I wondered what could he do with just 1% stake. If i understand it correctly he said to Ms. Kang he would empower her or give her a boost or something like that. Now you explained it, i get that his true intention is to join the board of directors so that he can vote. Or in his wildest dream, to take over Jangga :glasses: Man i can't wait for today's episode to fully understand everything with subs :lol: 

@serenilmauve right? Is it common for a drama to hold presscon twice? :rolleyes:

@AsveriaPSJ omg, another good OST! I'm listening to it while it's raining in my area, indeed mind blowing~

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anjalifairy said:

@serenilmauve right? Is it common for a drama to held presscon twice? :rolleyes:

@AsveriaPSJ omg, another good OST! I'm listening it while it's raining in my area, indeed mind blowing~

I don’t think so. Personally it’s my first time hearing about 2nd press-con. But maybe because I don’t follow enough dramas weekly, like I do with IC. 
Someone should correct me, if I’m wrong. 
I’m honestly curious why they need to do second press-con))) 

And why they’re hiding all that interviews with cast, that they filmed months ago before premiere :huh:

That’s song is like lullaby. And lyrics are beautiful. If only they actually matched Oh Soo Ah’s reality... Oops, sorry :phew:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

31 minutes ago, corey said:

I hope you do not mind if I slightly correct your explanation. If you own shares of any company you will receive money only if the company pays dividend on its shares. Some companies do, some don't. It depends how the shareholders vote at the annual meeting and if there is any profit on the yearly operations to distribute at all. Revenue is just all the money the company receives over time - but it still has to pay, for example, taxes, interest on loans etc. To simplify it hugely, profit is revenue less the expenses. And even if there is profit, some companies want to invest the surplus rather than distribute among shareholders.

So here I honestly hope that Jangga pays some dividend and PSR receives some money every year :)!

sure i only tell what i know ( i am not a business person so i dont know much ) thanks for the more detail explanation!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, serenilmauve said:

I don’t think so. Personally it’s my first time hearing about 2nd press-con. But maybe because I don’t follow enough dramas weekly, like I do with IC. 
Someone should correct me, if I’m wrong. 
I’m honestly curious why they need to do second press-con))) 

And why they’re hiding all that interviews with cast, that they filmed months ago before premiere :huh:

That’s song is like lullaby. And lyrics are beautiful. If only they actually matched Oh Soo Ah’s reality... Oops, sorry :phew:

You mean this introductory video? 

Looollll :)))

But tbh, i was a bit moved tho to remember their sweet moments at Halloween at that time ^_^

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Anjalifairy said:

You mean this introductory video? 

Looollll :)))

But tbh, i was a bit moved tho to remember their sweet moments at Halloween at that time ^_^

Yeap ^_^ They also posted gifs, from those interviews, but didn't show us full version yet :tears:

They were cute together, but that Oh Soo Ah also already made her choice.

• Like 1

@greenwatch08

SA is suffering internally from her own guilt, but externally, she's perfectly fine financially. She has a stable job, a career under Itaewon's biggest corporation. [....]weight/depth & heavily moves/affects the overall plot of IC. 

Spoiler

I personally think redemption is not needed for this girl... Growing up and realising that the world definitely is a dog eat dog Place, but not everyone is like that, people can love her she can love people without being afraid... She needs to love herself and realise not everyone can be a mother Theresa like SRY... and that would need her to not necessarily break ties with SRY and jco, but she needs new people and a new theory prove her life theory wrong... And from there she can fine that space to evolve,

True SRY is breaking no opportunities at jco... I mean the same way he has the right to want to destroy that family the same way she has a right to work there...

To me, if she had refused that scholarship I would laugh my self stupid

Image result for laughing at someone meme

... Because  technically jco financed her entire existence, but this time they pulled out of the orphanage, but where still offering her something, what I loved about that scene was because she knew why she was doing  she knew that in the future that offer of scholarship had more than just the usual "work for my company for so and so years after your degree" ... As an orphan who had no power, network or ability to work 100 hours a week and still get Amazing grades I love how realistic she was here... And evil father and son (can't remember the names) are responsible not jco, jco belongs to more than just this evil duo... 

I love them together, I am an angst machine the good type (to hell with noble idiocy), I find their moments electrifying and analyses worthy, these are two people who love each other, their moments might not "affect" the plot( i could argue so does that with the young lady , but that is for another day) but to me it says so much about their characters and one of the reasons I love SA is because I love character based shows, their moments speak to who they are as individuals, shy they still hold on to each other and why letting go on both parts is so hard... ( I find the constant need to take away the love between these two interesting at every point they are being told its artificial love, its all in their mind, but these two know each other they understand each other and KNOW what they both want from live) and I know all these because of their interactions, and because they know each other they hurt each other

( that hold ex-convict thing  , i was like

Image result for oh snap gif

and the fact that even without knowing it , he makes her feel like richard simmons, hate her self  , blah to the blah blah blah ) 

, they cause pain and the inability to be happy, I feel the only thing keeping them together is this love and when that's all they have it won't end well... To me the pain and guilt and constant need to show they are "okay" makes me feel they need others in their lives... Someone to show them what actually loving some isn't always about the pain...

To me the bus stop scene angst gold. I felt so bad for them... These two want to work out... All they ever had is each other, but they are family, friends and some could argue lovers, but as I looked at them all I saw was heartbreak, honestly they shouldn't be togetther, all she ever wanted Was to own something and all he wants is to bring down the person who took his happiness , problem is bringing down the chair man means bringing down jco even though jco doesn't only belong to the chairman but to the many other people, shareholders employees and so on and she just happens to be one of the many other people...

They say opposites attract, in this case that is true, SA needs a person with a strong moral compass and unshakable beliefs to balance her  "Survival of the fittest mode"... While SRY needs someone that can challenge him someone that can show him, black and white is not the answer... With their baggage they can't be that to each other... On paper they make for a great dynamic, but if they where two strangers meeting as adults who just happen to be attracted to each other...

The fact that she pitched an idea, but not just the idea how to get the idea from the ground up is good enough... To me that was not just telling jco about SRY  but a brief on their competitor... The meal chairman was tasting, showed her and her team had been preparing some kind of menu he designed... Because I don't know her job description I can't really say much but I will beg to differ, what exactly is her power in that company and why sort of business decisions should she be taking to make us think she is making business decisions???

You might have realised by now I hardly talk about the JSY... From the beginning I just found her not to my taste, I couldn't place the problem, maybe it was my upbringing ( I dislike arrogant, entitled disrespectful children in general and all I could think of was, If I ever pulled any of  her antics #a$$ whopping of the century) but then someone said something about her that click, she needs to grow up, she seems to only see what she wants, what she can get, act now thing never,  refusing to even consider a person for a job because of jealousy, not realising that if kissing without consent is assault ( I so disagree, SRY had eyes closed and ready doe that kiss)  What she did to SA' face would be what??

Her working for SRY not because she is sorry, because  she likes him...

what i cant do is fault her for being transphobic , i come from a country where , things like this leads to deliverance , what i cant say is "don't out people" starting a conversation with" did you know so and so is trans , ..." is outing them, this is where i see , the need for growing up , a social media influencer should know how to tow that line ...

What I like about her was not her conversation with mom or her disregard to mom... But her promise to mom "I will make it be for you and me"

Like I said, I realised my problem is she is a selfish, self-centred arrogant me me me person who thinks and acts first and never bothers of the consequences... Sociopath or not intelligent or not....

But I might like her in the next time jump, she might grow, she might realise sociopath is not a trade mark to her behaviour but that manners are learned, to co-exist with humans we need to respect draw the line and mine our own business... Because if I ever tell a human being to leave and give me space with the person I like and they refuse, even though its non of their business the will hear from my ancestors...

to be better than us average humans She will one day learn what  SA and SRY  learned in the most painful ways ever ,no matter how refined intelligent and better you are , someone out there will always , have power , not all these things but POWER ... 

Ps: I find the constant need to compare this women, irrelevant to me at this stage... at this moment JSY is to SRY as the purple head, scare face, even less baby brother... I get that she gets the guy in the end (I like SA and my ships never sail) if we are going to fight about those helping him, what about those three are they just there to show how much better JSY is at helping STY??  she is helping so they are... She she gave up all, but still has money from social media something, while they purple and scare their all is the bar...

One is an exconvict and the other a transgender..... I would say this  is their lives... and don't get me started with the whole fire the cook saga ...

so the show is telling me , a guy spends years , reading the book of the man who killed his father( and this man's specialty is food) , planning to open a bar , a franchise ,to compete with a mega company ... don't forget the guy himself knows to cook and could at least point out, taste or teach his cook , but he couldn't do that but had to wait for a 20 year old to come and tell him his cook is bad ?? 

Dear writers 

Image result for do i look stupid gif

SA  never had any strings to pull and if she had from whose behind... She was given a busary, she passed, is now working at said company and eight years later, has moved up the ladder, am sure chairman wouldn't put so much trust in her just because she "knew" something ... His company would not waste so much money on a project that is done by an incompetent person ie his son...

Ambitious than SA, NO more privileged than SA YES... If SA the orphan poor, girl in a patriarchy  conservative and education orientated country  decided to not go to school on the slightest   opportunity, but abandoned it all for a man she just met, to run a going under bar that is ran ex convicts... 

Disappointed Bellamy Young GIF by HULU

I CAN'T EVEN 

I would tell her this, go to school go get that degree, go get that knowledge, go get that experience go get those connections, go expand your view so that  as you can then come with what you have and help him... Because at the same age as JSY SA had NOTHING...

He refused SA's help and took that of the other, what is to say what SA had to offer was not important, it might not be what HE wanted but that does not lessen the importance of what she had to offer...

He doesn't NEED her anybody can replace her any body can be a young social media influencer who knows how the market works... I could argue SA too could do the job, anyone qualified can , not the same style the same design but, still get that job done ... but then again she is taking minimum wage , but SA offered for free ( or so i assume)..

But I understand the need to compare these ladies after all #lovetriangles...

In the same breath I could say he SHOULDN'T need SA and  neither SHOULD she... They can spend years apart still function and grow, still be their own people even though still pinning for each other, and one could argue this pinning for each other is unhealthy and cause for more pain...

@corey

Are you perhaps referring to me? :D Yes, I was badmouthing SA and yes, I was flabbergasted when it turned out that it was not her who ratted PSR to the police but:  [....] This is what appeals to me - I really root for SR and wish him so well - if he gets any girl in the process - fine by me, either is ok. I am happy that the female characters are both strong, intelligent and fierce - but romance-wise this is not my cup of tea.

Spoiler

Nah, it's not you because I didn't read that on this site... Or. Maybe it was you with a different name??

And I was not referring to the calling the calling the cops thing because it never even occur to me that that is why they called her dark...

They reason I was surprised is because even if this person saw she wasn't the one who called the cops she still stated that SA finally went dark and the reason I mention the business  enemy information thing is because that's the only situation I could think of as a reason...

Before episode 5 I believed she was the one... I had many things to say about the calling the cops thing but then I saw episode 5 and I let it go..

Yes dozens of shops have opened, as a big company who has competitors ,as a big company who can afford to investigate, if the shop in front of me was doing poorly but overnight began to make triple their sales, I am going to investigate, I want  money too...:mrgreen:

I could have watched this show for the romance but I know SA won't end up happy, so am watching it for the big show Down...:naughty:

@serenilmauve

To be honest, Oh Soo Ah is a perfect example how people should see difference between "self-love" and "being selfish".[....] She doesn't need anyone's pity, simply because she is a person who pities herself the most in this world. 

Spoiler

To me OSA has never had the nice girl behavior she has always been straight forward, no I don't like you, no I will not help the old man, do you want me to testify against SRY, I will do my job for jco, I like SRY, with Chairman she is as ambiguous as possible with the rest as distant and respectfully detached as possible... she knows how to keep that professional etiquette ... 

@ehy

Chingu, you should call out the person you were referring to, not leaving it out like this.. it draws out toxicity.

Okay, if you happen to be pointing me out.. first I'd like to apologize if I somehow sting you with what I wrote.

But I'd like to give my quick take with SA.

Spoiler

Dont stress, no need to call out people it wasn't this site, and I read that person's comment before watching the show so spent the entire show looking for the SA goes dark moment...

And if I don't want to debate I mention the person if I can't quote them (I still haven't learnt how to quote more than  one person)

For your take on SA @Broaddaylight, and I only saw he/she's comment after long essay to @greenwatch08 already answered

How does her taking the money = equal to injustice to the father....

Would her not taking the money have brought justice to the father.... What could she have done? what could she have said that SRY did not do or say... She told him the owner or the car or the suspected owner, SRY had that info we could argue going to the police, who is to say SRY didn't??... She had no power or voice to get chaebol son on the "hock" or get SRY out of jail because let's not forget he DID assault a person (am not really sure if it was attempted murder) it reminds me of my favourite line from a series once you act without the law you stop being the victim and now the perpetrator am not saying his father shouldn't get justice, but he SRY attacked someone...

Her everything is not from benefiting from his deepest wounds yes because of the fees death the chairman noticed her, just as she worked hard to pass so she could work at the company sponsoring her, she could have failed badly and had to pay back the company... Would we still say then that her failure is from benefiting from SRY deepest wound???  Why can we easily give her success to him but not her failures??

Would her working to death to pay uni and survive = justice

Let's not forget, while technically its money from jco owned by many, it want for free she knew that and chairman knew that...

To me I never read the book so am going on what I am shown... Some one once said the problem with SA, is that she sees her job as her job and her friendship as her friednship... But unfortunately for her the two worlds keep on colliding...

@Whisper2

@Broaddaylight I can't agree more with you on Soo Ah's situation. True she is a skeptic and has character flaws  but I think that she is overly demonized for her life choices. Just to add to your points on the economic context:[....]

I love the portrayal by actress Kwon Na Ra. I hope the character can find happiness at the end (I feel unnecessary for JYS to "destroy" her). But I also don't ship any pairings for now, like @taeunfighting mentioned, one pair is too late and another too early. I prefer all 3 of them to be individuals without being head over heels for one another.

Spoiler

thank you thank you thank you... That is what I have been trying to say, she is not doing it for free, its a scholarship he brings it up but its from the company the same company she will have to work for ... same company that has been sponsoring her orphanage until recently ...#PR

If we all checked the ethics, people won't work for Bill Gates (child labour), coke, some clothing companies and many more...

Jco is more than just evil chairman, it is share holders employees and many more...

I think I am inclined to her so much is because, if she was male cute and all... She would be given different spaces to be a grey character...

Can I kiss you???

Why are you speaking my mind, because she is successful now she owes the would to SRY and what if she wasn't successful what if she was in the low ranks in the company  and unsuccessful would she still owe him so much?? or would we say its her karma ...

^^ a lot of these are just answers and my thoughts on some topics mis-matched 

Edited by NaYouSabi?
trying to show which comments i posted on
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

@NaYouSabi?

I'm not sure if you're referring to my previous post on the previous page but opinions are but opinions. I dont see my opinions as factual or right. They are merely discussions/analysis of my own insights. I like JYS alot & enjoy seeing others' insights about her character whether it be positive or negative.

Btw, when I say JYS is a deconstruction of the modern-hero archetype, she's the opposite of a hero/main protagonist with good attributes, like SRY. That's probably why so many are taken aback by JYS's behavior/attitude towards others & in general because it's not what's expected of a lead/protagonist

(since she is one of the main character) to act because people are used to characters like SRY who falls under the modern-hero archetype, whose morally upholding & compassionate etc. That's why watching her current mindset disolve/impacted by SRY's actions is interesting. But then again, that's just my opinion.

As for SA, she's fine. I dont dislike her nor am I head over heels about her. Btw, I dont want a redemption arc for SA at all. I'm completely fine with her being on J Co & do not want to give up her position just for SRY. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

@NaYouSabi?

I'm not sure if you're referring to my previous post on the previous page but opinions are but opinions. I dont see my opinions as factual or right. They are merely discussions/analysis of my own insights. I like JYS alot & enjoy seeing others' insights about her character whether it be positive or negative.

Btw, when I say JYS is a deconstruction of the modern-hero archetype, she's the opposite of a hero/main protagonist with good attributes, like SRY. That's probably why so many are taken aback by JYS's behavior/attitude towards others & in general because it's not what's expected of a lead/protagonist

(since she is one of the main character

) to act because people are used to characters like SRY who falls under the modern-hero archetype, whose morally upholding & compassionate etc. That's why watching her current mindset disolve/impacted by SRY's actions is interesting. But then again, that's just my opinion.

As for SA, she's fine. I dont dislike her nor am I head over heels about her. 

am referring to the post you quoted me on ... and i too don't see my opinion as fact , i am just discussing what you said and adding some of my thoughts, i tend to play with words and can get very rhetorical ...  plus i love expressing myself with gifs ... it took a lot not to add more

if SA was the lead ,  would we have given her more grounds , for not being the typical candy?? , or is this lee way only give to characters , that don't directly affect SRY , or impact him in a more obvious and in your face way ??... 

to me they are both not , the usual and at the same time SRY , needs more , than SRY can offer and what SA is willing top offer ....